[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Legends 招摇

sugarplum892

4 hours ago, xienrue said:

@usagi1997 I agree that the scene is lacking. But in my opinion, it is not about unconvincing cry. The cry is quite alright ..... but the whole scene just failed to exude a devastating feeling. We kind of get it that Li Chen Lan is sad, but we cannot feel that he is devastated until the point he wants to do suicide. The emotion just not get transferred to us.

I am actually quite critical when watching a devastating sad scene (thanks to Zhu Yi Long, my standard in this type of scene is forever ruined). But surprisingly this scene does not disturb me as much (unsatisfied yes, but not until the point I get frustrated). Perhaps, I already saw how sad Li Chen Lan was in previous episodes. There were lots of scene before that show how knowing that Zhao Yao hate him and want to take revenge on him hurt him so much. So in a whole, I get it that Zhao Yao death is a big deal for Li Chen Lan. This guy does not have any self-preservation as long as Zhao Yao is in the topic.

I think that scene is acceptable because Mo Qing and Zhao Yao was never in a relationship at that point. It's always been an unrequited love situation for Mo Qing. He repressed a lot of his feelings because he recognized Zhao Yao did not care beyond just being someone in her clan who she can use as a pawn, and he also felt he was not a good match for her because he was weak and pathetic and ugly (he talks about how ugly he thought he was in the book a bit).

He had major self-esteem issues that never got fully resolved. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, xienrue said:

@usagi1997 I agree that the scene is lacking. But in my opinion, it is not about unconvincing cry. The cry is quite alright ..... but the whole scene just failed to exude a devastating feeling. We kind of get it that Li Chen Lan is sad, but we cannot feel that he is devastated until the point he wants to do suicide. The emotion just not get transferred to us.

I am actually quite critical when watching a devastating sad scene (thanks to Zhu Yi Long, my standard in this type of scene is forever ruined). But surprisingly this scene does not disturb me as much (unsatisfied yes, but not until the point I get frustrated). Perhaps, I already saw how sad Li Chen Lan was in previous episodes. There were lots of scene before that show how knowing that Zhao Yao hate him and want to take revenge on him hurt him so much. So in a whole, I get it that Zhao Yao death is a big deal for Li Chen Lan. This guy does not have any self-preservation as long as Zhao Yao is in the topic.

Well...you are quite right. Probably my focus was too much on the cry. It totally missed the devasted vibe. I really liked how they made her see the scene. If he was more devasted she proably would have believed it too.

In a very small way... I'm reminded of Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation. 

Anyways, here are next week's Monday's previews:
Preview 21: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av44221331

Preview 22: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av44226484

Is the acting the best? No. Is the script/editing top-notch? No. Am I enjoying this? Heck yeah! Sometimes I just want some angsty melo and intense male-lead devotion with a HE in my drama-life. 

On 2/19/2019 at 5:21 AM, arcchidus said:

Assuming the previews are not from a dream or something silly like that, then they are diverging from the book in the sense that

Reveal hidden contents

Mo Qing found Zhao Yao's body. In the book her body wasn't found. I am not sure if that will have some impact on the future of the story.

This scene is in ep 18 and is an illusion caused by the demonic aura in a cave. The aura seems to cause people to see their worst nightmares or experiences.

Spoiler

Li Chen Lan dreams of finding Zhao Yao’s body and using his sword on himself but realizes it is an illusion because he saw the necklace on her body. In the real version of events, he only found the necklace. Zhao Yao actually sees him crying over her body and thinks perhaps he loved her but she is still in denial.

Zhao Yao’s nightmare is about being so poor at the ghost market she can’t even afford a cup of tea. In the nightmare/illusion she gets arrested because she couldn’t pay!

Si Ma Rong relives his tragic romance with Yue Zhu and how he failed to save her.

33 minutes ago, therewillbeddl said:

Why is there a gap between the ending of ep 18 and the start of ep 19???

There are 3 different versions of ZHAO YAO because of the editing style. WEB (iqiyi, mango tv, youtube), TV, and DVD version. 

There is a gap in between ep 18 and 19 in the youtube version but the TV and DVD formats show the scene. 

I understand if there are cuts and edits in the TV version due to the airing time which (usually) what happens in the other dramas. However, ZHAO YAO TV version seems to have the longest episode and preview durations. The web version usually cuts the last 5~10mins short. The DVD version is even shorter. 

You can try searching up the DVD version, or wait for iqiyi's ep 18/19 to become available to the non-vips they might include that scene.

1 hour ago, DontEatMyKimchi said:

There are 3 different versions of ZHAO YAO because of the editing style. WEB (iqiyi, mango tv, youtube), TV, and DVD version. 

There is a gap in between ep 18 and 19 in the youtube version but the TV and DVD formats show the scene. 

I understand if there are cuts and edits in the TV version due to the airing time which (usually) what happens in the other dramas. However, ZHAO YAO TV version seems to have the longest episode and preview durations. The web version usually cuts the last 5~10mins short. The DVD version is even shorter. 

You can try searching up the DVD version, or wait for iqiyi's ep 18/19 to become available to the non-vips they might include that scene.

Yeah holy crap why did they do that? I just don't understand why they would cut more in the web version. :/

@DontEatMyKimchi Sigh... thanks for the confirmation..... I've been searching this info too because I think the episode cuts were weird....some was 45 minutes.. some 35-38 minutes... tsktsk... 

Watching these scenes makes me sigh... :(

93e814bcly1g0dzyn2s08j20v312dqca.jpg

93e814bcly1g0dzyo2wstj20v913f44z.jpg

93e814bcly1g0dzyoa1ukj20v913kn42.jpg

At least he can see Zhao Yao now... :tears:

giphy.gif

Would some kind soul help to translate this sentence?? :tears:

Spoiler

本以为此生再难相见,却没想到,我命运多舛,唯独关于你方能有一丝幸运。招摇,我终于等到你回来了,只是现在,你怕是恨极了我。
我自知,你我之间除剑冢一战外,其余温情种种,于我虽一眼惊鸿,于你却似指尖清风,能失而复得已是万幸,我不求其他,只愿以后,能护你安好无虞,我一定,不会再让你陷于危险之中。

I just went and watched the non-cut version. It makes so much more sense now. I can't believe they cut THAT much.

Interestingly they also change the order of certain scene in the other version.

I highly recommend everyone to watch the non-cut version here.

I thought it would be hard for us to ever met again but who would have that despite how much my life sucks, I have luck with you. Zhao Yao, I have finally waited your return. At present time, you probably hate to bones. 

我自知,你我之间除剑冢一战外,其余温情种种,于我虽一眼惊鸿,于你却似指尖清风,能失而复得已是万幸,我不求其他,只愿以后,能护你安好无虞,我一定,不会再让你陷于危险之中。

(too poetic to directly translate. i dont have that type of skill so ill just paraphrase it. )

I know you only remembered the time of "剑冢一战" (picture below--> when she was retrieving the WAN JUN SWORD and died). For you, it was like a passing breeze by fingertips but for me,  I have engraved very moment that we spend together. I know it is already very fortunate to retrieve the things that were lost,  so I won’t ask for more. My only wish is to protect you from now on. I definitely will not let danger reach you.

tumblr_pn5gy0thAd1u1iqoao6_1280.jpg

17 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

Would some kind soul help to translate this sentence?? :tears:

Reveal hidden contents

Here's my poor translation:

I thought we would never meet again in this life. I didn't expect that despite my hard fate, I got a little lucky with you. Zhao Yao, my wait for you is finally over, but I am afraid you now hate me. I know, other than what happened at Sword Mountain, while everything between you and I left a strong impression on me, to you it was as unmemorable as a breeze at your fingertips. Yet, I am very lucky to be able to regain what was lost, so I am not going to ask for anything else. I just hope that in the future, I can protect you so you can be safe and sound, I definitely won't let you be in danger ever again. 

@DontEatMyKimchi and @arcchidus Thank you :wub:

43 minutes ago, arcchidus said:

I just went and watched the non-cut version. It makes so much more sense now. I can't believe they cut THAT much.

Interestingly they also change the order of certain scene in the other version.

I highly recommend everyone to watch the non-cut version here.

Anyway... where are you watching the un-cut version? I usually download from torrents.. but the only links I got was for the web version.. 

Am I the only one that enjoying the interaction between Li Chen Lan and Gu Shu Guang? I feel that Gu Shu Guang always acts as tsundere, talks in sarcasm and derisive tone but in the end of the day he always scolds Li Chen Lan when he is too reckless with his body.

I could not find the uncut version of ep 19, but from what I could tell Li Chen Lan is angry at Zhao Yao for appearing to suggest becoming a spy for Jiang Wu in exchange for Si Ma Rong’s life. Li Chen Lan was probably just jealous that Zhao Yao said flattering words to Jiang Wu and held his hand (to seal their bargain/alliance)

Edit: Finally found the uncut version and yep  I was right about the jealously thing. Li Chen Lan overhears Zhao Yao tell Jiang Wu that Si Ma Rong doesn’t have a grudge against him (Li Chen Lan)but she definitely does.He also witnesses Zhao Yao holding Jiang Wu’s hand and him trying to kiss her hand!

Spoiler

In her invisible form, Zhao Yao witnesses the extent  of Li Chen Lans injuries and overhears Gu Han Guang tells him that his wound shouldn’t touch water. She thinks she should splash his wound with water and stab him with the lightning sword but somehow she doesn’t want to anymore. Zhi Yan suggests Zhao Yao apologise to Li Chen Lan and explain the reason for her fake alliance with Jiang Wu but she refuses and Li Chen Lan overhears their conversation.

In ep 20 there’s a funny bit where Jiang Wu writes love letters to Zhao Yao, but she doesn’t understand a word and tells Zhi Yan to answer in her place. Zhi Yan and Jiang Wu start to exchange (fake) letters and tokens to each other but these are intercepted by Li Chen Lan who gets increasingly jealous. The last straw was when Jiang Wu asks to meet Zhao Yao/Zhi Yan in private and Li Chen Lan kills the bird carrying the message and appears to meet Jiang Wu in order to kill him...Since Jiang Wu is one of the  main villains (the others include Liu Su Ruo,Luo Ming Xuan and Li Chen Lan himself) he is not that easily killed!

8 hours ago, lynne22 said:

@DontEatMyKimchi and @arcchidus Thank you :wub:

Anyway... where are you watching the un-cut version? I usually download from torrents.. but the only links I got was for the web version.. 

I am fairly sure I am not supposed to post any links based on forum rules. But I will say that you can find the extended version if you pick one of the other sources on maplestage (watcheable in US). 

@arcchidus Thanks so much! I definitely would not have been able to figure that out myself.

For those that aren't sure: go to the maplestage website, find 招摇 (It was on the homepage, under DRAMA for me), click on episode 19, under the video should be tabs Youtube | Other | Other, click on one of the "Other" and load the video. It's roughly 8-9min. in. 

I hope when VIKI gets this (putting in a request daily, haha), they get the TV version!

Archived