[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Legends 招摇

sugarplum892

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Alila Nguyen said:

Just finished reading it, so much emotions! Love it! Only 1 thing though, the start said their eldest is a daughter? When the ending said they have a boy?

@DontEatMyKimchi said they have a naughty kid whom Zhao Yao joking wanted to throw away, so the naughty kid supposed to be the boy. Since according the translation the girl is very quite and nice 

Spoiler

Recap 32

The opening is a scene from Zhao Yao’s past when she was really really drunk. She giggles drunkenly and says “It’s burning well” referring to the mountain she torched in the background.

Zhao Yao wanders to the front of Wan Lu Men where Mo Qing is standing guard and he says “Sect Leader, you have drunk too much wine” She tells him that she has come to find him. Zhao Yao gets physical by pushing him towards a rock and pulling off his mask and trying to kiss him but he resists and tells her again that she has had too much wine (is drunk). She asks what is he hiding for? He replies that he is afraid of frightening her and she uses her fingers to trace the blue markings on his face. She asks where is he frightening and tells him his eyes are beautiful like the stars in the sky. Zhao Yao is shocked to see this event unfold in the mirror.

Mo Qing asks Si Ma Rong if he can find a way for him to enter the Ghost Market. Si Ma Rong asks him if that is where he thinks Zhao Yao has gone? The ghost market is a place where only the fated can come into, but in this life the word fated does not exist, so no matter how much they try they cannot not force it. Si Ma Rong tells Mo Qing not to worry and wait a few days, maybe then they will have news of Zhao Yao.Mo Qing replies that he can wait for anything other than issues related to Zhao Yao.So she better be safe and sound in the ghost market or no matter if he has to go up to the Nine Heavens or down to the  Underworld he will bring her back. Si Ma Rong asks if he wants to use the Nine Heavens spell, and warns him that this spell uses up the spirit of the spell caster. In his current condition, Mo Qing has a 9/10 chance of dying. Mo Qing replies that other people might not know, but does Si Ma Rong not know (about his desperation to find Zhao Yao)? Si Ma Rong replies that they have been martial brothers for many years, even though back then Mo Qing was a guard at the gates they talked all night so how can he not understand Mo Qing’s love towards Zhao Yao? But if Mo Qing uses the Nine Heavens spell to find Zhao Yao then he is risking his life, so how can he stand and watch? Mo Qing apologies to Si Ma Rong because this is not an issue Mo Qing should worry him about, but concerning Zhao Yao he has no other choice.

In the ghost market Zhao Yao takes Cao Ning the scholar to the memories shop to help her pay  the fee for looking into her past. The shop keeper asks for 100000, and Zhao Yao protests that that is too expensive but the scholar agrees to pay.

Zhao Yao looks through the bronze mirror to see her past with Mo Qing.There’s a montage of their sweet moments like when she first rescued him from getting excecuted by the “good” sects, and she says to him, “Don’t be afraid, I’ll take you away.” She sees him carrry her through the snow and the time she named him Mo Qing ( probably because he didn’t want her to call him by the name the father who locked him up gave him) and when he took care of her when she was drunk. Zhao Yao wonders if from way back then the Little Ugly Boy had ...(started to love her?) The next bit was weirdly cut but she suddenly sees herself and Mo Qing kissing on the night she removed his mask when she was really really drunk and they did ???? with each other (she covered her eyes for this part) and the scholar asks the onlookers to stop looking. In the mirror, Zhao Yao sees Mo Qing place the ruby necklace around her neck and leave when he hears Si Ma Rong and some guards looking for her.Si Ma Rong turns around and sees Mo Qing standing near by so he is suspicious that something was up.

Some time passes and Mo Qing overhears Si Ma Rong ask Zhao Yao if she had forgotten events that occurred half a month ago. Zhao Yao asks what should she remember? He replies that she  pulled the tiles from the roof and burned down Xi Yue mountain and could have done something else outrageous that he doesn’t know about. She asks if she is that formidable? He replies that she is, and he does not know who she stole this necklace from, so they don’t know who to return it to (Si Ma Rong, probably guessed it was Mo Qing’s)

She says that the necklace is very pretty so who cares who it belongs to, if the necklace is on her person then it belongs to her. Let’s not talk about these matters anymore, thet need to look ahead  and continue on the path they must go. Luo Mingxuan is dead so from now on she wants to bring the dark and light sects together in her hand (be ruler of them all). After hearing this conversation, Mo Qing looks sad because she doesn’t remember their night together and he is unable to help her with her ambitions. There’s a montage of people Zhao Yao gathered under her command including Bei Shan Zhu/ Yuan Jie, Shi Qi, and Gu Han Guang and a scene showing Mo Qing standing guard through the seasons.

In the mirror, Zhao Yao sees the events that happened during the battle for the Wan Jun sword. Mo Qing who is the swords true master, accidentally unsealed it when he was fighting with people from the good sects.He was unable to control himself from pulling it out even after Zhao Yao commands him to stop. The moment when Mo Qing pulled the sword out,everything around him was destroyed and Zhao Yao falls into a dark pit. Afterwards, Zhao Yao sees Qin Qianxian pull her body from the rubble and place her into one of the ice caves. Next Zhao Yao sees Mo Qing crying as he digs through the rubble calling her name. Yuan Jie tries to murder him in cold blood but the Wan Jun sword saves him but Mo Qing doesn’t even notice. 

In the present, Zhao Yao wonders why Qin Qianxian saved her. Cao Ning tells Zhao Yao that her lover is really madly in love with her, so she should not have married him. She agrees and remarks that she  had almost forgotten that now that Wan Lu Men is in the Little Ugly Boy’s hands it was built the way she envisioned it in the beginning. Afterwards, for many reasons she abandoned her dream but now she recognises that someone has helped her achieve it. Just like a broken thread of a dream, that someone has gone through hardship to silently help her weave into a cloak.

Zhao Yao thanks the scholar and says she has left Mo Qing waiting for too long and should not make him wait any longer,she doesn’t know how desperate that foolish boy is now.

Zhao Yao tries to go back through the tree portal but she is blocked somehow. Her friend Zi Yu sees her trying to leave and she asks him why she can’t leave. He asks if she has stayed in this place too long? Eaten lots of things (the pills) and drank lots of water and  grown accustomed to the atmosphere in this place? Then it will be hard for her to leave, something this important, has no one told her? Zhao Yao protests that no one has told her this. Zi Yu says that as we live here for long and grow accustomed to it, we start to forget. People who first come to the Ghost Market can freely come and leave like she did before, but once they can’t leave then there is no way they can leave.

Zhao Yao sits in the tea shop with Zi Yu and he tries to comfort her  by saying this place they are staying at is very good. After living here for a while she will grow used to it and if she is worried about having no money she can work at the shop, then she wouldn’t have to worry about money anymore. Zhao Yao tells him she has to leave this place and Zi Yu asks his boss if there is a way he can help Zhao Yao. The boss replies that there is a way, but it requires a great price to be paid so he advises her to better not try it. Zhao Yao says that regardless of the price she wants to try, she just needs to leave. The boss asks if she is willing to die? Zhao Yao replies dying is not okay but half dead half alive is alright 

In the book it’s revealed, that the Tea Shop owner is actually the ex Demon King who died 1000 years ago that means Mo Qing is at least 1000 years old

Here’s a recap for ep 32

@frostflower14 thank you so much for the recap! I had a feeling that the tea shop owner had to have been someone important Or else he wouldn’t offer his help to ZY. Interesting....I hope in the drama they will reveal who he is though...so he must be related to MQ if he is the previous demon king??  I wonder who MQ dad is since he never came back for MQ like he said he will. Hm... 

3 hours ago, 12blbl said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So did QQX like Zhao Yao before he ascend to heaven?

Spoiler

the novel doesn't say anything more about QQX feeling towards ZhaoYao, I can only guess that he'd got over it after he released his xinmo into the world. I don't even know whether QQX really loves ZhaoYao; If my understanding is correct, it's more like curiosity turn infatuation; he always has some kind of belief, for eg: good people do good things, bad people do bad things something like that; so when ZhaoYao, who has bad reputation, kidnapped him and release him without doing anything bad to him, that's the first time he question his belief, that's what triggered his XinMo.

What make QQX become immortal isn't written in the novel; I can only guess that he finally enlightened that the people isn't always what it seems; he can finally accept and love them the way they are maybe or maybe he just does many good things until the quota to become immortal has been fulfilled.  

Finally caught up to all the spoilers here...onIy at episode 6 on YT...goodness the subs are not great...I love the author's other novel and had no idea about this one.  Love these sort of genre.  Didn't read the novel so fresh pair of eyes and heart watching this!!!  The OTP so cute!!!

when do episodes come out? and when do subs come out?

right now 32 raw, 6 sub available

Also, is aw kiss scenes in an MV, has any of them (except for the full blown makeout which is ep 32) appeared before - more specifically this library scene where she is apparently trying to touch him but on pretext of looking for a scroll.. and he is looking super hot and cute doing nothing.. but you can make out what he is feeling on the inside  (he doesn't have scar on the face, so i am guessing the scene hasn't come as yet)

49 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Right now, a blog is doing the subs.  Since she is also doing other dramas, we have to be patient till she uploads the next episodes with subs in her blog.

https://productiveprocrastination.site

Most of the websites is making use of her subs and uploads in their sites.

7 hours ago, xienrue said:

Someone translated novel chapter 80 (Li Chen Lan POV)

https://sonrisatnt.com/

Reading it makes me sadder for our poor Mo Qing :cry:

Oo thanks so much for sharing this!! I m still only halfway through the novel (cause while i can read in chinese, my reading speed is slower =.=). But when I see it's MQ's POV, i just can't help but spoil myself!! The depth of his devotion and love is just amazing and makes me feel sad for him. Like his entire world only has ZY, and without her there is simply nothing else. Romantic but kinda sad.

3 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

right now 32 raw, 6 sub available

Also, is aw kiss scenes in an MV, has any of them (except for the full blown makeout which is ep 32) appeared before - more specifically this library scene where she is apparently trying to touch him but on pretext of looking for a scroll.. and he is looking super hot and cute doing nothing.. but you can make out what he is feeling on the inside  (he doesn't have scar on the face, so i am guessing the scene hasn't come as yet)

Episode come out 2 eps per day Mon-Wed 

The kiss scene in the library, where she tries to touch him on a pretext of looking for a scroll occurred in ep 10 or 11 depending on which version you watch. She was trying to use seduction to manipulate him, but back then he was unsure of her identity so he pushed her away because he wanted no other woman but Zhao Yao to touch him. She still got what she wanted when she complimented his eyes, like she did back when they were young. Zhao Yao thought her seduction method works when Mo Qing/ Li Chen Lan left her the pills she requested.

3 hours ago, frostflower14 said:

Episode come out 2 eps per day Mon-Wed 

The kiss scene in the library, where she tries to touch him on a pretext of looking for a scroll occurred in ep 10 or 11 depending on which version you watch. She was trying to use seduction to manipulate him, but back then he was unsure of her identity so he pushed her away because he wanted no other woman but Zhao Yao to touch him. She still got what she wanted when she complimented his eyes, like she did back when they were young. Zhao Yao thought her seduction method works when Mo Qing/ Li Chen Lan left her the pills she requested.

Haha, that's my favorite scene! Imagine how different his reaction would have been if he'd known that it was Zhao Yao? When he still wasn't sure of her identity, he was so cold, but if it  had been Zhao Yao, his heart would probably have been all doki-doki. I mean, he couldn't resist her that night at the gate, after all ;) 

BTS- Weibo link 

--> copy link to converter if u cant go on weibo (u dont have to actually download it, just click on the generated link)

Xukai 1:01 "fly to the sky boom boom boom" (still holding bailu's hand) :joy:

There are 2 epilogues, one about MQ's POV and the other about the story with QQX and 17. 

In QQX 17 epilogue, to some degree, they did get a happy ending but the guy wasn't really QQX anymore. QQX, now immortal, felt he had not fully severed his yearnings for the mortal world so he reincarnated as a prince. His 'prince' self got to be with 17. 

The MQ POV epilogue mentioned they had 2 kids. The naughty son who takes it after Zhao Yao, an energetic trouble maker. While the elder daughter's quiet personality resembles MQ

I have to give some credit to the script writers and author herself for always railing the drama plot back on the same track as the novel. First, ZY's invisibility as a ghost was achieved with the Kong Kong pill. Second, the changes with Ghost Market worked parallel with 栖止地 (XI Zhi Di). Same method of money calculation and same motif with sins and deeds.

Third, ZY's real body. 

A) In the novel, ZY's body NEVER LEFT the ice cave. Her ghost/spirit core was wander around her grave and possessed Zhi Yan (ZYn) that entered the location together with Liu Cang Ling. 

B.) MQ flew to the ice cave to rescue QQX 17 upon learning about the location of ZY real body. QQX 17 were trapped in the ice cave maze at beginning, but later choose not to leave. As a part coup d'etat plan of  North (Yuan Jie) & Lin Zhi Yu they messed with the structure of the maze thus MQ had to hold down 'eye' of the maze in order to prevent the maze from shifting to another layout. If the layout changed, then finding ZY's real body would be difficult.

C.) ZY is alive thus has a YANG attribute. Ghost Market is full of dead people/ghost thus the things there had a YIN  attribute. ZY ate too much YIN (the pills) hence she was brought closer to 'death'. 

In the drama, all 3 points are merge together. On the day ZYn enter the cave, ZY real body breaks out of the ice wall. For that reason, MQ stays in Wen Luo Men and QQX 17 walk out of the maze by themselves. To make the story equal out, ZY departure from XI ZHI DI is forbidden as an effect of spending too much time in that place. In order to exit, she has to make 5 incision in 5 different parts of her body and spilling out half of her blood. (watch the preview). Obviously she successful in withstanding the procedure and along that process she must have regain her 'real body' (note the mark on her forehead). Just like how in the novel the real body had been frozen for too long, in drama she is terribly weaken.

tumblr_po28g8YjGM1u1iqoao2_540.gif

tumblr_po28g8YjGM1u1iqoao3_250.giftumblr_po28g8YjGM1u1iqoao1_250.giftumblr_po28g8YjGM1u1iqoao4_250.gif

I really appreciate how similar the drama is to the original novel. However, novel is a novel while drama is drama, they should not share the exact same pacing and plot format. Back when I watched 10 miles of blossom, I couldnt help but to wonder what it would be like if the drama followed the plot format of the novel. Now I know that going back and forth between the past and present only works in a novel. It adds a mysterious element to the characters and their history. Like you have to wait for the plot to slowly unfold while putting the formers bits together. On the other hand, when a drama portrays it as so, it is confusing and annoying. All I see in Zhao Yao are flashbacks, flashbacks and some more flashbacks. Instead of putting a 5 year time gap for the development of Wen Lu Men, TELLS US WHAT HAPPENS IN THOSE 5 YEARS! Chronological orders are the best for drama depiction.

Here’s what I found about the Ghost Market Xi Zhi Di which translates to Rest and Stop Location.

《招摇》中,栖止地是一个集市,卖一些世间少有的药丸,比如托梦用的入梦丹、恢复元气的回元丹等,不过栖止地的钱和其他地方不一样,能进入栖止地的人,都是经历过生死,走过阎王殿,见过阎王面的,而栖止地的钱财,指的则是人的品性。 

栖止地中有一个大元气钱铺,记录着每一个能进入栖止地的人生平善恶,做善事多,账上的钱就多,做恶事多,账上的钱便会相对应的被扣除,所以想要在栖止地中买东西,就需要多做善事,如此一来,在栖止地中的钱才能积攒的越来越多。

路招摇也是经历过生死的人,所以她才能够进入栖止地,而她进入栖止地的地点,则是万路门禁地中的一颗大树,不过树中的玄机只有她一人知晓,在普通人看来,这颗树就是普通的一棵树,并没有特别之处。

可惜的是,路招摇被世人称为女魔头,她之前所做的恶事太多,所以在栖止地中,她是最穷的一个人,为了能够买到栖止地中的药丸,无奈之下,路招摇只能派琴芷嫣找人为她多做好事,而她最后也如愿以偿的买到了自己需要的药丸。

In Zhao Yao, Qi Zhi Di is a market where rare pills in the world are sold such as Dream Entrusting Pills that allow people to enter dreams and Restoring  Power Pills that restore original powers. However, the peacefulness of Qi Zhi Di is deceiving.The ability to enter Qi Zhi Di requires a person to have experienced life and death and been through The Lord of the Underworld’s palace and seen The Lord of the Underworld’s face. In Qi Zhi Di wealth is calculated based on your moral character. 

In Qi Zhi Di, there is a store called Dai Yuan Qi that displays records of individuals who can enter Qi Zhi Di and whether they  did good or evil deeds. People who did good deeds have lots of money in their account while people who did evil deeds have very poor bank accounts and have money subtracted correspondingly. Money is required to purchase items in the West and East of Qi Zi Di, so it is required to do many good deeds. In Qi Di, wealth can be accumulated more and more.

Lu Zhao Yao was a person who had experienced life and death, so she had the ability to enter Qi Zhi Di. She entered Qi Zhi Di through a hollow tree located in the forbidden area of Wan Lu Men. However the fact that the hollow tree had special abilities is something only she knew. To others the round tree is only a normal tree not knowing of the special hidden place within

Unfortunately, Lu Zhao Yao was known to others as a Demoness who did many evil deeds. So in Qi Zhi Di, she ultimately became the poorest person there. She did not have enough money to buy pills in Qi Zhi Di,  so without any choice Lu Zhao Yao could only order Qin Zhi Yan to find people to do good deeds in her name. Ultimately, she was able to get the important pills she wished for.

A8-F8-C287-5-CB2-428-E-8669-CF355-F78-AD

A8-F8-C287-5-CB2-428-E-8669-CF355-F78-AD

@DontEatMyKimchi Thank you for the explanation, finally I can understand the preview content regarding what Zhao Yao needs to do to leave Ghost Market. I am happy that Zhao Yao will be able to wear her own face now when she goes back to Wan Lu Men. Meaning our couple will formalize their relationship soon?!:wub: I am getting tired of the Wan Lu Men sect members thinking that their leader is infatuated with a girl from Immortal sect.

Waiting until Monday is getting more and more torturous the closer we are reaching the ending.

Archived