[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019-20] Sword Dynasty 剑王朝

sugarplum892

I was thinking about this and I'm not sure if Ye Celeng had true romantic feelings for her master. Not sure about the novel, but in the drama she wasn't shown to have any specific interactions to LJM that would imply she clearly did. She might have a very strong attachment and seems unable to let go of the guilt she felt towards not being present to save LJM (who also seemed to have loved cherished her as a disciple). Also, the dude that loves her hasn't implied she has romantic feelings towards LJM either. There just seems to be an understanding that disciples are/should be loyal to their master/comrade. Look at Jiang Li who is taking on the Queen's lady, the gentleman that's been locked in the water dungeon for 10 years, and Baili whose been harboring petty feelings lololol.

I think if Ye Celeng were a dude, the interpretation of the character's feelings towards LJM might be different. The pain, tenderness and adoration that Ye Celeng exudes in memories of her master does throw ppl off, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily romantic love. Not like... actually for me, there has been no clear demonstration of sweet romantic love throughout this whole series lololol... that's prob partly why I'm not inclined to believe that about Ye Celeng's feelings. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@rosierosie In the novel, 

Spoiler

DN knew that he was reborn all along, he retained all his memories as LJM. The nine web martial arts that he practiced, the special power is the ability to reborn, although it can only be activated with the sword that LJM gifted to QX. That's why DN came out of the cocoon when she went to his old house after his death.

LJM gave the sword to QX after he rejects her love because he already has YZ. She asked him if he would accept her feelings in another life. It was his way of saying yes he would because the sword means his rebirth. In the novel before his rebirth as DN, his spirit was conscious, but he was stuck at where he died with no way out. It wasn't until QX came back to avenge him that he could come back alive. And she basically is throwing away her life for a man that she knows doesn't love her, but one that she also believes to have helped kill her entire family. 

In the novel YCL's feelings for LJM are not really romantic. Initially, she looks up to him because he is powerful, but he is the only one that listened to her wishes to learn martial arts and even teaches her when everyone else ridiculed her. 

...am seeing the cracks between the Emperor and Empress widening and that makes me happy. I wonder what it feels like to be them? They don't trust each other, they don't trust the people around them, and nobody has anything good to say about them lol. 

Spoiler

I am a lil sad that Ye Celeng's death seemed kind of...uneventful? 'Cept to the dude that liked her, I mean. 

I hope Liang Lin gets his comeuppance in the near future. That guy seemed like a rotten egg from the very beginning. 

3 hours ago, crackaddict said:

...am seeing the cracks between the Emperor and Empress widening and that makes me happy. I wonder what it feels like to be them? They don't trust each other, they don't trust the people around them, and nobody has anything good to say about them lol. 

Hide contents

I am a lil sad that Ye Celeng's death seemed kind of...uneventful? 'Cept to the dude that liked her, I mean. 

I hope Liang Lin gets his comeuppance in the near future. That guy seemed like a rotten egg from the very beginning. 

LOL everybody predicted this in the novel. Even DN was like, should I get revenge because this was bound to happen anyway. :lol: The Emperor and Empress had such a strong bond only because they had a common enemy in LJM. Once LJM died, they start to become wary of each other. Especially once the Emperor reached level 8 and he becomes bored and even more arrogant with everything, which makes the Empress even more mad because she's extremely prideful and plenty arrogant herself. She feels that she's belittled by him.

Spoiler

Also, this was a novel with a happy ending, why are so many characters dying left and right?? :tears:

BUHAHAHAHA!!!

She feels belittled by him?? Girlfriend needs to self reflect on her own actions. Nearly everybody on the show looks down on her and Heng Wang lol. I guess, Heng Wang ain't got no right to look down on her -_-

Despite the way Ye Zhen is...she doesn't seem to be completely without genuine attachment to her ppl and the Crown Prince. 

1 hour ago, crackaddict said:

BUHAHAHAHA!!!

She feels belittled by him?? Girlfriend needs to self reflect on her own actions. Nearly everybody on the show looks down on her and Heng Wang lol. I guess, Heng Wang ain't got no right to look down on her -_-

Despite the way Ye Zhen is...she doesn't seem to be completely without genuine attachment to her ppl and the Crown Prince. 

Ye Zhen has quite the interesting backstory and arc in the novel. She is so cunning and ruthless because she was raised in the way that she had to use and toss away and kill in order to stay alive. However, at the end, she even admits to herself that with LJM, she isn't without regrets. She even tells him that if time was reversed, she would have chosen him instead. Although LJM straight up tells her that he wouldn't choose her if time was reversed lmao. :lol:

What the heck was this ending that I just watched??

Spoiler

I feel a bit cheated. I really thought it was gonna be a happy ending for the OTP. But not a single character got a happy ending? It's like...just being able to stay alive in this drama was supposed to be enough lol. Is it the same for the novel?

5 hours ago, crackaddict said:

What the heck was this ending that I just watched??

Hide contents

I feel a bit cheated. I really thought it was gonna be a happy ending for the OTP. But not a single character got a happy ending? It's like...just being able to stay alive in this drama was supposed to be enough lol. Is it the same for the novel?

I just saw spoilers for the ending on weibo and omg...

Spoiler

No, the ending for the novel was definitely a happy ending. Actually, it ended with DN and QX's wedding after everything was settled and their revenge and aftermath was complete. A lot of characters that died in the drama was alive and well in the novel. 

I get that there are changes made in adaptations, especially when this was a long novel that's supposed to be condensed into 36 episodes and tell a complete story. But when a script is good enough on its own, it doesn't need a sad ending and tons of pain and suffering to make the drama memorable. 

I stopped watching midway because they randomly killed off Zhao Si, who actually was a major force in beating YZ at the end of the novel. And then they weakened QX so much, she was top level 7 in the novel, she only had a handful of people that she couldn't beat. 

I LOVED ZHAO SI!!!!!! why?????

And it's true that QX started off pretty cool and then was so frail towards the end of the show.... seemed like the show was trying to send a different message to the audience. :angry: Nah, bruh, I'm here for the revenge!!!

54 minutes ago, crackaddict said:

I LOVED ZHAO SI!!!!!! why?????

And it's true that QX started off pretty cool and then was so frail towards the end of the show.... seemed like the show was trying to send a different message to the audience. :angry: Nah, bruh, I'm here for the revenge!!!

Zhao Si's death didn't really add to the story, other than more hatred for the Emperor and Empress. Although seeing the ending, I don't know what the point is. She, BSS, QX, and YCL were all super duper badass in the novel. I was sad when they minimalized a lot of their roles in the drama. 

Also, this main premise of this show is revenge! The Emperor and Empress didn't just betray LJM, they wiped out the Bashan sword place and practically killed all his friends and followers! It wasn't just his own personal revenge, he was carrying on vengeance for all these people as well. 

This is supposed to be a straightforward wuxia revenge drama, I don't need to be force fed some ~grand wisdom/message that actually doesn't make any sense in the end! I will for sure be avoiding this scriptwriter in the future. -_-

Also lol at myself for having read this novel in order to watch this drama for better understanding. Turns out it was completely unnecessary anyway. :crazy:

^lol I so agreed!!! That ending was blah!!!! This was supposed to be a revenge drama, and WTH!!! DN let the King off so easily. I get his message to the king, but how can he not take revenge for his Bashan brothers/sisters??!?

And I feel like QX's death was so uncalled for!!? It's like they randomly throw that in there towards the end!

Lol, I honestly have much expectations for this drama/plotline; but now it's just---that's it????!

49 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

^lol I so agreed!!! That ending was blah!!!! This was supposed to be a revenge drama, and WTH!!! DN let the King off so easily. I get his message to the king, but how can he not take revenge for his Bashan brothers/sisters??!?

And I feel like QX's death was so uncalled for!!? It's like they randomly throw that in there towards the end!

Lol, I honestly have much expectation for this drama/plotline; but now it's just---that's it????!

YES!! This wasn't just his own revenge, he may have ~forgiven the Emperor, but he doesn't have the right to forgive him on behalf of all his Bashan brothers and sisters that got slaughtered because they trusted some backstabbers. One thing that the novel emphasized was fairness, everyone has their own point of view, but for the people alive, they feel the unfairness for the people that were killed, hence why they want revenge. QX said that she doesn't care about who did what, but she's doing this because it feels right to her heart. And also, so many people helped DN in his quest for revenge, because they know he is against the Emperor, what a slap in the face to them all now. -_-

Argh, this show killed off so many characters for no good reason at all. :huh:

GAHHHH, I am still not over this ending. There was so much potential for this drama, I loved the fights, and the acting was good, but the script killed everything. :(

What are other ppl watching after/alongside SD?

I'm watching Joy of Life, The Best Partner, and Ming Dynasty. I'm casually watching other stuff out of boredom like Fairyland Lovers and Under the Power. Normally, I'm not this free, I just happen to be on winter break from school. lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived