[Weekend Event] Earn 2x Soompi Points
Update #9 is being installed. Service disruptions are expected. We apologize for the inconvenience.
jaiwook_08

[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

@fanmum Yeah, the waiting till next week is going to be hard... I am worried about JA's mother because I don't quite understand her. Saying that JH is like a son to her is just an excuse I think. It's also linked to his status. She visibly has an inferiority complex as to her position - also the fact that Appa is responsible for it because he did not accept his promotion like she mentionned in the first episodes. I think she thought she would use JA to get a better social position. But now, if JA were to marry JH, then well, her plans would fall through. But why this obsession with success and status? What happened in her life for her to like it so much and to seek it so much besodes her husband's lack of ambition? I do understand the power of social pressure and how all her friends probably make it worse but still... Arghh so frustrating really. Is there something we are unaware of? A back story we'll get to hear?

I am a little confused about the whole company thing and I hope they'll handle things well, especially because it is such a tricky issue these days with #metoo. I want them to show a realistic portrayal of sexual differences but also a way to handle it. I am worried it'll turn into a melodramatic thing.

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

JHI's change of expressions after meeting JA's mom at her house.  wow!!!!!! He is just killing the scene

He doesnt want to show his unhappiness before JA

E1Doir0.png

His expression changes once the elevator door closes

vSslpTz.png

omo, omo, wow!!!! he is amazing

2NurQfb.png

cr:dc

• Like 12
  • Sad 11

15 minutes ago, jesskitkat said:

Thank you very much for the translations! One thing I don't get it but still find it very funny - who is richard simmons and why describe him similar with JA mom? Please please explain to me, thanks!

As swearing is forbidden here on Soompi, the site automatically changed some swear words into Richard Simmons ! This is him 

Spoiler

DelayedAlarmedHorseshoebat-size_restrict

Why are mothers painted in such bad light in k dramas? JA’s mom is ridiculous. JA is a 35 year old woman for crying out loud. She’s not 15 or even 25. Surely she can make her own decisions. 

Thanks all for recaps ! 

• Like 13
  • LOL 4

3 minutes ago, AlexandraReid said:

Can anyone tell me whos the girl at 0:28? I dont think its KS noona since shes clearly wear a different color of clothes.  :blink:

Hide contents

Im afraid, his ex-gf will appear.  :fearful:

She seems to  know her so i think is KS...:ph34r:

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, jesskitkat said:

Same here.. my mom is similar with JA mom's character but she's not as mean or crazy like her. My mom doesn't like my hubby when i decided to marry him. She wants me to marry someone successful & rich so she can brag to my relatives and her friends. But too bad my hubby doesn't meet her expectations. She doesnt object our marriage but I know she doesn't like it. She would still talk to him but just like strangers.

Only the brave ones in love can survive to these situations. Your love for each other must be so genuine that you managed to stay together. :)  Most of the mothers only want the best for their children esp to their daughters so they live a good life but JA's mom is going overboard. JA's ex boyfriend must be her son hahaha because they're both insensitive and selfish in love. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, triplem said:

As swearing is forbidden here on Soompi, the site automatically changed some swear words into Richard Simmons ! This is him 

Hide contents

@jesskitkat Ha ha - we all had that question at one point. Poor Richard Simmons... I wonder who decided his name would replace all swear words and why him. Now when I get made, I automatically think of him. Ha ha, poor him...

I keep thinking of Secret Garden these days - the mother did not accept them together and even at the end, years later, she would not acknowledge their marriage. I am so ok with a similar ending here! :tongue:

Edited by stroppyse
Please do not quote images, even in spoilers. Thanks.
  • Like 6
  • LOL 7

Let us imagine what could bring the mother to her senses...

- She discovers LGM's wrongdoings (the harassment, the assault, the kidnapping and the car accident)

- Appa decides to get divorce as he can not stand her any longer ruining their lives

- SH cuts ties with her

- SH has a girlfriend she doesn't approve at all

Feel free to add more ideas...

• Like 2
  • LOL 14

1 minute ago, bebebisous33 said:

- She discovers LGM's wrongdoings (the harassment, the assault, the kidnapping and the car accident)

- Appa decides to get divorce as he can not stand her any longer ruining their lives

- SH cuts ties with her

JA's pregnacy... :lol:

• Like 6
  • LOL 17

2 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

- SH cuts ties with her

A baby, she see them truly happy together, JH being so succefull that she can't say anything, JH dad come and she see JH and KS so sad after it and warm up to it...

18 minutes ago, triplem said:

Why are mothers painted in such bad light in k dramas? JA’s mom is ridiculous. JA is a 35 year old woman for crying out loud. She’s not 15 or even 25. Surely she can make her own decisions. 

Probably because it's trully like that in korea.

• Like 8
  • LOL 5

8 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

- SH cuts ties with her

An Alien invasion at best.

From what people are saying she sounds so so awful,so a fight for humanity should be enough I hope.

• Like 1
  • LOL 12

Mother is discharged and they go home. Did I mention that I love JA's father so much! LOL

SH: What would we do if we went in anyway?
Father: Is that right?

Father: You should have been born a daughter.
SH: Dad wasn’t exactly what was needed at home right now either.
Father: Being a man is a sin.
SH: That’s what I say.

JA: I’m not going to try to claim that we’re even with something like this, do don’t worry.
Mother: Why are you acting as if you care?
JA: Is this the time to be caring whether it’s real or for show?
Mother: Whose fault is all this anyway?
JA: Okay. Okay.
Mother: Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. It just…
JA: Just try enduring it a little longer. I’ll do it gently.

SH: Did they say she can leave?
JA: Yes.

Father: Aigoo. What would we have done without our Jin Ah? She just took care of everything so well. Our daughter is definitely the best. There isn’t anything about her that’s lacking. So trustworthy. Very.
Mother: Do you want to go home in a taxi? (to SH) And, you’re the same as well.
SH: I was doing anything.
Mother: if you weren’t going to do anything, then why did you both go along?

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 8

Count me in, i’m so okay with Secret Garden ending, the mom dislike their RS until the end and only accept the grandchild. As long as Jun Hee and Jin Ah together, i’ll put my case to rest. PD-nim please don’t give us open ending whatsoever, open ending give bitter after taste for a long time.

• Like 11
  • LOL 3

- SH cuts ties with her

- JA's pregnancy @lolly84... and even a baby @yusefull

- Alien invasion @dramaninja:D

• Like 2
  • LOL 10

JH and JA's PPL date. And, JA's mother goes to talk to KS.

JA: You know that Mom hurt her arm, so for the time being, I think I’m going to have to go home early.
JH: Aigoo. I understand, but eat more slowly. You’re going to get indigestion.
JA: I have to get back to the store quickly. One of the part-time staff didn’t show up.
JH: You picked someone who was too busy.
JA: I picked someone who was too much a headache.
JH: That would be me.
JA: You, what?
JH: Nothing.
JH: It was nothing. I just said it to say it.
JA: Don’t say things like that.
JH: I made you miserable.
JA: That was Mom who did that, so why are you blaming yourself? After you told me not to underestimate you.
JH: I must have seemed pretty worthless.
JA: Are you saying that’s how you saw me?
JH: I only saw you as being pretty.
JA: Oh, really. That word “pretty” is too weak.
JH: If you had been even more, then I wouldn’t have been able to seduce you.
JA: Anyway, don’t say such…
JH: I won’t. I won’t.
JA: Don’t do it!
JH: I won’t do it. I won’t do it again.
JA: Just you dare try to do it again.
JH: Eat more slowly.
JA: I’m done eating.
JH: Take your time coming out.

KS: Mom! Did you hurt yourself? How?
Mother: It’s nothing much.
KS: What do you mean it’s not much? You should be more careful.
Mother: Let’s go inside and talk.

This conversation is interesting actually in how both JH and JA keep reading meanings into what's being said, though some of it is on the mark in terms of both infusing their comments with their feelings even when it's nominally about something else.

Of course, JH had his feelings hurt, despite thinking that he knew what he was getting into. JA"s mother's reaction was extreme. And, of course, JA has a headache over it, and she may have had one or two regrets in the back of her head.

However, the bottom line is that JA doesn't want JH to feel hurt or to blame himself in any way. Just as JH's biggest regret is that JA is having to go through all this for his sake, that is for the sake of being with him.

So, overall, this scene even with its tensions made me smile at them as they struggle to figure out how to handle being a couple and dealing with the approbations coming their way. In some ways, because both JA's father and KS gave in so easily, it's easy to think that JA and JH had been hopeful that JA's mother wouldn't be so bad after all. Unfortunately, she's going to be that bad and then some.

Edited by stroppyse
added a comment
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 11

3 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

- SH cuts ties with her

- JA's pregnancy @lolly84... and even a baby @yusefull

- Alien invasion @dramaninja:D

JH/KS's father comes back and has married a rich woman? Ha ha...

SH gets a rich girlfriend which makes Omma happy?

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

JA's mother goes to talk to KS. This clip was hard for me to watch actually.

KS: Since it’s already happened, well, I guess I should just tell them to date well.
Mother: You what… That… Is that something that you should tell them to do? Jin Ah and Joon Hee are just the same as being in the same family.
KS: Mom, well, there is that… But, they say that they like each other, so what can we do.
Mother: Oh! I’m very disappointed to hear you say that. How much must I be thinking of Joon Hee as being my own child for me to be like this? Think about this carefully. This isn’t something to just accept casually. Of course, there is nothing wrong with Joon Hee. Even though I am a person who looks at this and that qualifications, would I be comparing relative positions in society with Joon Hee?
KS: Of course, you shouldn’t be doing such things.
Mother: Shouldn’t do or not, there’s nothing else. It’s just that the two of them having spent all that time together comfortably (as family) is causing them to think that this is what they want to do. That’s why. Do you really think that they’re doing the right thing? Do you think that?
KS: I haven’t thought as far as that.
Mother: Of course not. That’s right. You’re not someone who makes poor judgments, so I did think it was strange. Kyung Sun, you’re his older sister. What is an older sister? She’s a mother figure. Joon Hee is still immature, and so needs strong guidance still. Hm? What is that thing you always say? That you would be responsible till the end for Joon Hee’s life to be good, haven’t you always said that?
KS: I didn’t know that this was something which held Joon Hee’s life in the balance as well.
Mother: Is life something separate? So that his life can be right and proper, you have to correct each thing that happens. So, if even one thing goes awry, then you can’t correct it again. I don’t need to explain anything to you anyway. I am you, and you are me. Don’t we always agree? Isn’t that so?

JA's mother is being so despicable by wrapping up her dismay at JH's lack of qualifications to meet her ambitions as concern for his life. And, she doesn't think that KS can see right through her, so she's also being clueless in her pathetic attempt at manipulation. Ugh.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 9

I use the word " bit"  not slap bc really she's not normal; she should go seeing a psy !

I don't want talking about JA but about her husband , JA's dad !

Normally, like my mom, when she knew My dad retired, she was happy !

she thinks after very long years of work, it's time for him to rest !

They went travelling, taking care of my brother's children, gardening .....

But, it's not like that with JA's mom, she wants him continuing working so she'll be

proud that she's a big boss wife !!! this woman is very selfish ! Madame est servie !!

so why JA's dad always drinks.... he's so borred of his wife !

- I notice one thing : when the drama ands, many actors & actresses will get ...................weights :grin:

they eat and drink anytimes

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

5 minutes ago, diane90 said:

I use the word " bit"  not slap bc really she's not normal; she should go seeing a psy !

I don't want talking about JA but about her husband , JA's dad !

Normally, like my mom, when she knew My dad retired, she was happy !

she thinks after very long years of work, it's time for him to rest !

They went travelling, taking care of my brother's children, gardening .....

But, it's not like that with JA's mom, she wants him continuing working so she'll be

proud that she's a big boss wife !!! this woman is very selfish ! Madame est servie !!

so why JA's dad always drinks.... he's so borred of his wife !

- I notice one thing : when the drama ands, many actors & actresses will get ...................weights :grin:

they eat and drink anytimes

JA's dad deserve a better wife surely!!

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

KS makes a meal for JH. 

KS: Go wash your hands quickly and come.

KS: Eat a lot, will you? You like this.
JH: Well, could I know why before we eat?
KS: Why are you asking for reasons? Just because, for once in a long time, I wanted to eat this and that, so I went grocery shopping.
JH: Do you think I don’t know noona?
KS: If you don’t know. Even if you do know, there isn’t anything to not know. Just eat.
KS: Let’s live well. Even better than we are now. Losing nothing in comparison to anyone.
JH: Hey. Your food is becoming better and better over time. You could even set up a restaurant.
KS: Don’t make me laugh. Hey, could you live even one day without me?
JH: You’re wrong again. Noona is the one who couldn’t live without me.
KS: That’s right. I couldn’t live. So, stick close to me. If you go anywhere, you’ll die.
JH: So, you should be good to me while I’m here.
KS: How can I be any better? If there is an older sister like me, tell her to show herself.
JH: There can’t be any others. Living in such a family is so overwhelming.
KS: You, you, you, you.
JH: I said it was overwhelming. My heart is overwhelmed with happiness.
JH: This is delicious.
KS: Eat a lot.
JH: Yes.

I feel for KS. After having to put up with JA's mother's venom, and probably wishing whole-heartedly that her little brother JH didn't have to deal with JA's mother, all she can do is make him a delicious home-cooked meal as a way of showing how much love she feels for her little brother who is almost like a son to her. And, she can't even tell JH why she's in a strange mood because that in itself would only add to his distress.

• Like 5
  • Sad 6
  • Thanks 9

33 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

JH/KS's father comes back and has married a rich woman? Ha ha...

SH gets a rich girlfriend which makes Omma happy?

Amnesia or the Truck of Doom might be nice right now 

Or the ghost of her friend appearing in her dreams and warning her to be good to her kids? 

Or JA and JH leave for Canada? Toronto's nice. Or Vancouver

• LOL 12