[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

jaiwook_08

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Cayu18 said:

I feel like JA knows now after being treated with love and caring that the way she let others behave towards her before was wrong so now she feels embarrassed that she let it go one for so long. Jh has taken pictures of Ja but both pictures and drawing are sweet and more of a revering act which paints her in a sweet and beautiful light. A total contrast with GM. The problem with JA is probably related with how she is treated by her mom. Not saying that she believes that her mom does not love her but her mother treats her like JH should lower her head and take the crumbs offered by a man like GM because of his background regardless of how bad he treats her daughter. like JH is insignificant and should settle because she is not good enough for a better man. No wonder she let people step over her. Now JA has found someone who treats her with out most care and shows her how precious she is to him. she in turn understands now that she should treat herself as precious. I really can't wait for her mom to see the light of day. GM could have seriously hurt JA even killed her because of his stupid pride. He truly is the definition of cowardly. He was trying to scare JA and wanting to exert power over her by making her feel small and powerless in his car. I feel this guy needs punishment and I am not seeming it. What he did was illegal you can not hold someone against their will and JA asked him repeatedly to stop and he did not aside from that he has already tried to force himself on her being a lawyer it is even more disturbing that no one is using the law to rein this disgusting trash of a human in.

Yes, totally agree with you. I also wonder how much of that is cultural and social. One thing I like about this show is also the whole take on how women are treated by their family, their co-workers, their superiors too. I kept thinking of JA's brother, who keeps saying that JA always gets into trouble, etc. As if it is her fault. And yet he just beated the richard simmons out of GM... I think it shows how culturally and socially ingrained those comments are. So even though, yes, JA needs to like herself better for others to treat her better, but I also think it's a bit more complicated because even then, you have to struggle against cultural and social norms...

50 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Also, I want to express my appreciation yet again for how this director allows for longish scenes with minimal or no dialogue. The nonverbal acting and emoting is strong enough from this cast that we’re left in little doubt as to what they’re feeling and what is haapening. The scenery shots also contribute to the feelings of that moment.

YES! I watched all the subbed episodes (but one, trying to watch it slowly so I won't have to suffer too much waiting for subs...) in two days and that is the most stricking feature to me, the one I like the most. It makes me think of "In the Mood for Love" a bit; have you seen it? Like long moments with music, setting the mood. Those moments are very tender in this show.

@carolinedl SH looks down on JA because he has been influenced by his own mother. She keeps praising him and telling him how proud she is of him, whereas she always says negative comments about JA. Notice that there are some parallels between GM and SH. SH couldn't stand GM and didn't like JA being with him and there is a reason for it in my opinion. The origin of his desdain for GM was his mother. The mother had then only eyes for GM and less for SH. She could brag about GM (his social background, his family aso). No wonder that SH didn't care so much for his sister and her boyfriend. Deep down, he was jealous, although he is unaware of it. Once GM and JA were over, notice how SH's attitude changes. He reminded JA about her past behaviour with GM (she was so in love with GM and this guy was not worth it) and this underlines that he has now another point for criticizing his sister. Actually, he is not different from his mother. SH feels superior to his sister, yet he keeps relying on his mother all the time. The mother is responsible for his insensitive comments and behaviour. Right now, SH only knows a part of the wrongdoings GM did. Yet, SH implied that JA was somehow responsible for her misery. "Funny" is that GM is still in the mother's eyes best partner for her daughter so that she can brag around. I hope, her husband stops her at some point or she gets a huge disappointment in her son because so far, she has never favored JA. 

I found this link. Who do you think has the best chemistry with SYJ?

Rewatching ep 7 and 8. SYJ is full of charms and sexiness. Seriously, I cannot even handle it. How did JHI stay calm and act so well with her? It must be difficult for him. I pray for him to be able to continue staying calm :rolleyes: aigoo....

The newest JHI graduation picture from university  :) 

ct2g4o265g1232bs47er.jpg

5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Yes, it is reminiscent of a Wong War Kai movie. I loved "In the Mood for Love". Both Wong War Kai and Ahn Pan Seok seem to shoot such evocative, emotional scenes that are full of tension, sexual and otherwise, and doing it without dialogue to slap the viewers in the face with what it all means. They exercise the opposite of a blunt force instrument. :)

I am thinking of Raising the Red Lantern by Zhang Yimou too. Most of the scenes (esp the intimate ones) were shot from afar which somehow intensified the emotions of the scenes. I joked about this many times, PD Ahn has a habit of shooting certain scenes from afar too especially with his other work (Secret Love Affair).

For me, Wong Kar-Wai’s use of anachronistic music is very evocative. PD Ahn does it here too.

Ah, @luvhollandlop and @stroppyse - so happy to see Wong Kar Wai fans here!! PD Ahn knows his stuff it seems! For the others, I strongly recommend "In the Mood for Love" if you like the silent-music moments in this show!

@bebebisous33 - I totally agree with you. Yes, JA's mother is certainly responsible for his behavior. Gosh, she is so frustrating to listen to... Big inferiority complex here among other things. Anyway... don't get me started on her.

That said, I also think it is linked to how people categorize women, especially in relation to love and sex. A lot of times, women are perceived as being the difficult ones, creating drama, being too emotional; and if they get assaulted, well, a lot of people think they did sthg to deserve it. I am sure we all have encountered this type of discourse. Here, I was frustrated when, in the car, what he was saying made me think of such discourses - how she could not do things right implying that she might have done sthg which could explain GM's behavior. He said such comments before which were in part due to his perception of her as influenced by his mother but also because of how women are expected to act, especially at her age.

I think a lot of things come into play in his reactions to his sister: their mother, his sense of superiority he feels (like you said), how JA perceives herself, and cultural and social norms.

@jeijei I totally loved his acting in that scene. Little tears forming in his eyes. It was so subtle that you could truly feel how touched and happy he was. 

Yes, this drama has long intervals where there is no dialogue at all!  Only music, and so much said with just eyes and expressions :wub:

This is going to be such a long week!!  This waiting really sucks :ph34r:

And hope not too much angst next week!!

3 hours ago, luvhollandlop said:

I am thinking of Raising the Red Lantern by Zhang Yimou too. Most of the scenes (esp the intimate ones) were shot from afar which somehow intensified the emotions of the scenes. I joked about this many times, PD Ahn has a habit of shooting certain scenes from afar too especially with his other work (Secret Love Affair).

For me, Wong Kar-Wai’s use of anachronistic music is very evocative. PD Ahn does it here too.

2 hours ago, jeijei said:

Joon Hee-yah is crying~ 

Reveal hidden contents

Dying is a matter of whom you choose to die with.

Hi. Can you guys help me where I watch Eps 7 & 8 with english subtitles? Thanks in advance

BTS of the police station scene.

I love how PD-nim always says “Ah, you did well” instead of cut every time, he’s so sweet.

Now I kinda feel bad for the actor that plays kyu min but at least he’s getting more experience.

To late for the party but signed in to write:

the saying is true... we watch the raw, we come here to find translation, you go back watching the raw again and you finally come back here to thank the translators..! 

Shoutout to @stroppyseand @jeijei..! Bless your hearts..!

Oh and lastly... after all those, we complain why the sub is not out yet..! Lol...! :D

1 hour ago, rain89 said:

BTS of the police station scene.

I love how PD-nim always says “Ah, you did well” instead of cut every time, he’s so sweet.

Now I kinda feel bad for the actor that plays kyu min but at least he’s getting more experience.

This BTW is so funny. JA laughed when GM said "omma". Mom looks so young compared to son :D Why can they not find an older woman to play GM's mom?

You are so right, the actor that plays GM got hit all the time. I feel bad for him too!!

Hi,  I'm new here. I just wanna say I love this drama so much.  

I just read the news that jtbc will rerun Pretty Noona on Monday - Tuesday at 11pm time slot until 15th May.  They do this because of the drama popularity and the new drama which replaces Waikiki is delayed in filming. Hope the rating will be good.  

Archived