[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

jaiwook_08

Oooommmy God is this really happening? Tell me this is not true...

after all the heartache they have been true it all comes down to this? She's making another dumb decision??? what the heck writer, 14 episodes and this is the penultimate episode and you guys just have to make this kinda storyline... 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 999hearts

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I think I can finally say what I wanna say more properly. Please note that these aren't my final thoughts since the lack of sub means I might misunderstand some things.

I am very conflicted about how I feel towards Pretty Noona. On one side, I have my frustration, but on the other side I know the frustration comes from how similar JA is to myself. There are times when I compare my experiences that are similar to JA only to find myself both empathizing and not wanting to watch further cos they hit close to home thus forcing me to somewhat reflect. Ugh.

Props to JA for her decision to move out and live on her own. She needs that instead of living together with JH or running away to the US. But the way she takes advantage of JH's business trip to move out without even bothering to tell him before, during, and after the move is very problematic. Does he have to find out from BR??? I know she tries to tell him during her birthday dinner and backs out after hearing what JH has to say. But really, girl?

One thing that I like from this episode is it emphasizes the immaturity of their relationship even more regardless of their age. JH wants the best for him and his relationship with JA but he thinks moving to the US is the best option without seriously talking to JA about it first. We're talking about moving abroad for years here! They keep doing things hastily and impulsively which is realistic since they've been together only for several months but can ruin a relationship in the long run. Including their relationships with other people. So, yes, I'm glad they break up for now. Three years of separation is too long, though.

Perhaps the writer wants to show us how often we contradict ourselves like how JA wants to be selfish, but she doesn't know what she wants exactly nor does she want other people to dictate her life. Unfortunately the plot execution is done rather poorly. I still believe present day JA doesn't have to date that seemingly pompous prick. That just worsens her character development.

Here are some points regarding JA that I wish people would understand more

• Breaking bad habits is hard, especially when you're older. If you've been taught to be a good girl and follow what your parents say all your life, several months of 'rebellion' against them can mean nothing. With JH leaving, I'm not surprised if she returns to being the old JA albeit with some improvements. 2018 JA is not as konjac-like as 2015 JA, but deep down she is still JA.
  • JH leaves, JA stays. No matter how much in love they are with each other, it's JA who has to continue living her routine, fix her strained relationship with her parents, salvage whatever she can with KS, all those while being physically apart from JH. It saddens me so much that KS is not at SH's wedding, cos even BR and YE are there :( So I guess they're no longer friends? I admire her for her bravery to stay in Korea.
  • Long-distance relationship is never easy. There can be up to 13 hours of time difference between Korea and the US so even if they had decided to go on with the relationship, they would still have communication issue. For a couple who always spends time together, I believe they would still break up as long as they're apart.

Extra details from ep. 15: I looked at the lease paper JA signed, it says she signed a two-year lease from May 16, 2015 to 2017. Girl paid a hefty amount of money, too. She probably extends her lease for another year so she should be staying there until May 15, 2018. SH's wedding is on April 28, 2018 and that leaves JA less than a month to move out. Drunk JH will come knocking atJA's door, JA gets even more depressed with JH's presence so she moves to Jeju or goes on a long holiday to see BR. We'll see if my EP. 16 predictions come true or not haha

Extra note: what's with the red, yellow, and green umbrellas? Lol

woww the reactions on SNS are no joke. everyone seems so mad of this episode both Korean and Inter fans. some people even name the new title for this drama lol. 

Also trending articles on naver with 1k+ comments, most bashing JA, writer and PD I guess. :ph34r:

I think the ratings of today ep are very............................. down !!!!!!!!!!!!

like vewers' feelings !

Honestly I try many times defending for JA but this time ............impossible !

I try to understand her but ....................impossible !!!!

Wow... reading all posts from p.113 made me sad, ruined my weekend mood.

If they meet again after 3 years separation, then it means that they will face again the hardships from JA's mom??? That's not a happy ending at all, it's an open ending, more disappointing than Summer Scent ending.

Sorry to blurt out my opinion in my first post here. I've been following this thread since the beginning and gratefull for all translations, pre-/post reviews, comments, etc. Thanks a lot.

After a good sleep and now it’s a morning in my country, I now kinda see the light why the whole storyline turns this way and why JA & JH relationship failed. The couple never really have a passionate kiss! A big mistake in their relationship!  That’s the answer and I am serious. :D :lol: Who to blame ... hahahaha 

4 hours ago, thi2018 said:

Gosh.. I paused for awhile because I couldn’t keep going to watch after seeing JA’s new bf. He looked even worse than LKM, urggg, the way he touched JA’s cheek made me feel nauseated. And the way she reacted to him was like “stop touching me”.. then why did she have to date him? It’s sick! I get she is a more mature one in this relationship because she worries a lot about people around her like KS, her parents, her work. That’s why she didn’t agree to go to US with JH because it could mean she tries to run away. I get the fact that she needs to move on and have another boyfriend because of her age. But why did she pick another jerk? She didn’t learn a thing from her past relationship? 

I need a few more moments to calm down. I will get back to this thread!

I like to think that because she had such a real relationship with JH that anything else pales in comparison and she is halfheartedly dating now without any real feelings. Because she experienced and lost the real thing, she is probably unlikely to open her heart to someone who is genuine or be genuine herself again. In other words, she's just humouring her family now and giving her mother what she wants without thinking of herself or her feelings. 

Mayyyyyybe this is really her reality. Maybe her time with JH is just an imagination. Luh maybe the writer swallowed a postmodernism pill and decided, "Let me dig my '90s youth and marry it with David Lynch and throw in some zeitgeist. It'll be a rad episode."

Let me guess. These two are still keeping their charades with umma. 

Everything is a lie! I have a fab meltdown, btw

The ratings dropped quite far to 5.883%. I read it from dramawiki. Wow, when the ratings should have been higher if the plot did not go to 'that' direction and actually on the Friday slot, there are not much competiton, right? CMIIW. Sadly it had to turn out like this. Hope tonight's episode will bring higher ratings. 

4 hours ago, mandy77777 said:

woww the reactions on SNS are no joke. everyone seems so mad of this episode both Korean and Inter fans. some people even name the new title for this drama lol. 

Also trending articles on naver with 1k+ comments, most bashing JA, writer and PD I guess. :ph34r:

How can we read this article with English? Netizenbuzz still has not translated it yet :( poor Pretty Noona to get bashed like that

4 hours ago, 999hearts said:

Extra note: what's with the red, yellow, and green umbrellas? Lol

The color red is associated with energy, passion, desire and love. Red is a very intense color which is used to indicate courage. So I think they used red umbrella first to show JH’s determination and courage to be with JA.

The color green symbolizes growth, harmony and freshness. It has great healing power and also suggests stability and endurance. So I think they used green umbrella to show their relationship is growing through difficulties and the endurance they had to face. 

The color yellow is the color of sunshine, joy, and happiness. Yellow produces warm effects and arouses cheerfulness. So I think they’ll have happy ending.

However, I am still very angry about the fact that JA had another bf. It’s like there is a scratch on the mirror even they may end up together. I watched ep 15 raw so I don’t know if I understood them completely. But JA and JH didn’t even declared “break up”. He even took her home, hugged and asked her if she still won’t go with him to US. I think they were just naturally drifted apart while JH went abroad. I feel the closing of this series is too rush. They should explain more what happened while they were apart. I need more of JH’s story to emphasize with JA. I feel like I’m more on his side right now. I feel so bad for JH for what JA had done to their relationship.

This drama is really toying us emotionally. I am so affected by it. My heart is too heavy after this episode. 

2 minutes ago, thi2018 said:

They should explain more what happened while they were apart. I need more of JH’s story to emphasize with JA. I feel like I’m more on his side right now. I feel so bad for JH for what JA had done to their relationship.

Hopefully we get to see the flashback on why they went for a separate way tonight. But the writer has always decided not to make a flashback scene besides the cherry blossom scene. So, maybe they will give us an explanation with conversation instead as we are used to. I also hope we will get an explanation on why Jin ah got a new bf with a similar type like Kyu Min.

2 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I understand the ratings going down. If I weren't writing up translations, I would have quit watching the episode. I'm trying not to spill any more venom on the drama. Watching the episode in its entirety has not made me feel any better. If anything, it feels worse and I'm currently a seething ball of hate towards this drama. Sorry about that.

@999hearts, thanks for your post. And, even though, having grown up in an even more conservative family than JA's, I want to counterpoint some of your observations about JA, but frankly, I'm just too tired. One thing I did want to point out though.

I don't think JA and KS are friends any more. If I had been KS, there is no way that I could stay with someone who basically ripped my little brother to shreds regardless of why or how she did that.

However, even if JA and KS had patched things up and were friends, KS probably wouldn't have been invited nor would she have come given how JA's mother treated her and JH in their last encounter. It's not necessarily being spiteful on KS' part or JA's part either, it's also a matter of respect no mater the level of personal antipathy in not wanting JA's mother to be upset on a day when she is clearly basking in her glory of having her laudable son  being suitably married off.

However, JH seems to have been invited and probably directly by SH. SH doesn't seem to mind his mother as much, mostly flying under the radar, especially since SH seems to be meeting his parents' expectations.

Someone could be playing Cupid too who knows.

2953.jpg?w=714&h=402maxresdefault.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfMTIRVXzt5eUCKUYkGLt

I have always been a dreamer and I guess even with everything I have seen tonight and the leap into time.  My heart wants to believe in something I felt within these characters that boyfriend or not, distance or not, time or separation.   I just cannot let go of what I saw and what this story allowed me to feel...

Honestly, how in this world after tasting love at it's best could you ever settle for anything less...

Granted JH was tired of seeing her suffer and he wanted to take her away and maybe even himself too just be you  & me against the world leaving everything and everyone else behind.  He just wanted and needed her to be free of everything that he felt was closing in around her. He wanted to protect her, he wanted her to live with him, he wanted her to be with him.  Most of all he wanted her to believe in his ability to be her man. 

Her everything.

Yet she thinks that she is different because of him that she is stronger and within her mind you have this feeling that she is tired of running of bowing down, looking the other way at work of having to depend on others.   It's why she wanted her own place even if it isn't perfect.  Even that was her way of proving to her Mother and yes even herself that she could and would be independent. Of feeling less because she is a woman, because she isn't married, because she still lives at home.  She has struggled within her silence and now wants to see this through.  She just wants to stand up and be counted. She wants to face things at work, things with her family and maybe just prove to herself.  That before she can stand by her man or any man, she has to be able to stand on her own.

On the flip side of those thoughts an as time advanced is the sadness in seeing her turn around as if she had lost everything she had found.  Trying to make herself invisible at the top of those stairs.  How humiliated she must have felt to know that he had seen her like that.  With no place to run, no place to hide just her standing there feeling as if she was naked in front of him with no pride.  Where was that strength she believed she had standing there like a little lost girl who just got had. 

Maybe now she knows that what she had and let go of isn't something easily found.  That love itself is able to raise you up to places and feelings you never knew existed.  That through the goodness of a man who truly loves you strength and courage can be found.  It's not only what she did or didn't learn because of him it's in realizing what she had because of him and let go of...

This song below is perfect and I'm hanging my hopes on a happy ending of realizing that relationships aren't about perfection they are instead about forgiveness and focusing on what you have instead of what you don't.  Accepting each other for where you are instead of where you want each other to be.  Yep that's the ending I hope we see...

I'll Stand by you...

Spoiler

I feel extremely bad for SH’s wife for having mother in law like that. I hope they live apart from from his parents after the wedding or eventually they will be separated as well. She is the most nasty character I have known so far, by the way she treated JH and KS. She is just two-faced!!

Archived