Quantcast
jaiwook_08

[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

22 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Soi did she buy him food or what? I  MUST KNOW! :cookie:

From what I read, He did ask her to buy her a meal....but at the end he paid for it in advance when she went to settle the bill.  Total sweetheart.

Edit: I love the clips I saw and from what I read. It has this nice mellow feel. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, triplem said:

From what I read, He did ask her to buy her a meal....but at the end he paid for it in advance when she went to settle the bill.  Total sweetheart.

Ha very nice move dude. :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I've been reading bah-doo recap and watched youtube videos. I'll see the entire episode when the subtitles get ready, but I just can say for now, how lovely and natural our couple looks.
I'm only afraid their story goes too fast and they haven't enought drama for 16 episodes. I hope the writer gives us a interest plot during all the drama.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Soi did she buy him food or what? I  MUST KNOW! :cookie:

Not yet. When they ate, he was the one that ended up paying without her knowing even though she wanted to pay for it.

—————————

I’m sensing she’s not going to trust him when he starts flirting for real with her (he’s already jokingly flirting with her now). Because so far she’s heard him talking to 2 girls on the phone and from the preview she’s gonna see him talking to her co-worker. She probably thinks he’s a player.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dulcinea1 said:

I've been reading bah-doo recap and watched youtube videos. I'll see the entire episode when the subtitles get ready, but I just can say for now, how lovely and natural our couple looks.
I'm only afraid their story goes too fast and they haven't enought drama for 16 episodes. I hope the writer gives us a interest plot during all the drama.

they mentioned in their presscon right. its the entire journey.. there is going to be the fluttering phase, happy phase of new romance, challenges of romance, finding your way home at the end romance

be prepared...won't be sweet throughtou

• Like 7

@maryofbethany@triplem Thanks for live recap. <3 I'm happy to see Son Ye Jin back in the small screen. I'm not familiar with the lead guy but I'll be watching PWL soon. I like nice steady pace, mellow, heartwarming.

• Like 5

I don't know all the characters yet, so can't match up the voices with the characters either, however, here is a translation of the preview for episode 2.

Woman: They say that the pain of a rejection can be treated by a new love. Go ahead and meet someone else.
JA: What a man says and does, how far should one believe him?
Woman: They’re all lies.
Man: I thought that Yoon Jin Ah had completely crumpled, so why does she keep making noises these days?
YE: It’s because you allow his behavior that the department head keeps acting up towards you, manager.
Man: Don’t you have a “some”? (meaning: some = flirtation, someone you're interested in) Oh, you do have one. How old is she? 23? 24?
JH: 35
Man: Can you even have a “some” with her?!
JA: For men, if they’re pretty, do you just like them regardless?
JH: Noona is prettier.

Haven't watched the episode yet, but the clips I saw looks pretty cute.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

Okay, one clip translation that had me laughing at Joon Ho's cheekiness and double entendres. Also, this is the scene that answers the question of whether she bought him food in this episode. :D

Jin Ah: Oh, Ye Eun.
Ye Eun: Manager, where are you? You have to eat.
JA: Ahh… I…had a personal appointment.
YE: Did you really have an appointment? Or do you, with me…
JA: Why won’t you believe a person’s words? Go ahead and eat with Dong Woo, and don’t worry about me. Dong Woo is probably crying somewhere.
YE: Yes. Manager should also make sure to eat.
JA: Okay.

JA text to Joon Hee: Should we eat together?
Colleague: Jjajjangmyun for lunch at the usual place. Okay?
Joon Hee: I already have a (lunch) engagement.
Colleague: What? When you don’t even have any friends.
JH: That’s why a woman is important.
Colleague: What’s this?! Were you being serious?

JA: It’s nice here. I almost took you on a tour of “mat-jibs”, and would have just been scoffed at. (me: mat-jibs are restaurants or other eateries famous for being delicious)
JH: Where did you usually go for lunch?
JA: Oh, it brings up memories, and I don’t want to ruin this atmosphere right now. (me: She probably means it reminds her of her ex which would put her in a foul mood.)
JH: Do you want a glass of win?
JA: Whatever. It’s the middle of the workday.
JH: You have to break a taboo in order to shake it off. (meaning: She should do something that is taboo in order to get rid of any lingering mood breakers.)
JA: Really?
JH: What do you have as your house wine?
Waitress: The house wine?
JA: Please show us a (wine) menu.
Waitress: Yes.

JA: Is the bill perhaps here?
Receptionist: The male person has already paid.

JA: Yah! Why did you pay? Kyung Sun is going to scold me for taking from her little brother.
JH: You can just take responsibility for paying for lunches going forward.
JA: Okay. Anyway. thanks to you, I ate well in a good mood today, and even broke a taboo.
JH: Since you’ve had a taste, Yoon Jin Ah, you’re in so much trouble. (me: ROFL)

JA: I ate too much at lunch.

So, JH's throwaway line to himself about JA being in trouble now that she's had a taste is deliberately vague. JA, overhearing it, probably thinks it refers to breaking a taboo of drinking during lunch on a working day, and that now that she's broken one, she might be up for doing it again. And, JH may mean that as well. However, the taboo in question that he has in mind could be JA dating the younger brother of a friend. Also, the "taste" that he refers to JA having gotten is probably also a reference to being with him, and how she is going to want to see him more. So, based just on clips, the writing so far for JH seems to be witty, cheeky, and assured. JA's lines seem much more straightforward from initial impressions.

Another thing that this scene does subtly is show some differences between JA and JH, the differences between their ages, experiences, and possibly cultures. So, JH is used to eating a cheap meal (jjajjangmyun) with his friends/colleagues. JA clearly likes to seek out trendy, popular restaurants. JH asks for the house wine, which for most restaurants is somewhere between decent to good, but is always the cheapest wine served by the glass. JA asks to see a wine menu, so clearly has experience selecting and drinking wines. I don't know if JA also makes more money than JH, but she is definitely farther along in her career than JH. Anyway, this scene highlights those differences prettily subtly and naturally, I thought.

Finally, JA thinks of JH as her friend's little brother, and thus her little brother whereas JH is definitely aware of JA as an attractive woman that he's interested in.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

Ok, I don't know where is this gif from but...Oh my god!! (It's spoiler, see at your own responsibility)

Spoiler

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

Watched the entire first episode, and I have to say that I'm really starting to trust JTBC's feel for romances. And not just because their romances get alternate English titles that have the word "Rain" in them. :) Even as Just Between Lovers was a surprise delight for me, I think Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food is shaping up to be another drama that I'm going to relish. Anyway, the first episode didn't disappoint, and it was more thoughtful with more issues raised than just the primary story of a younger man who likes an older woman. Since there are recaps around, I won't recap the episode, but just give my impressions.

Jin Ah is the erstwhile heroine of this drama, and she is 35 and in a position of management with Coffebay Company. Her formal title is roughly Assistant Manager, and she is in charge of oversighting a region with a number of franchises in it. She's just been dumped by her boyfriend of two years, Gyu Min. It ultimately turns out that GM dumped JA to pursue a younger woman, and JA's revenge on him was actually pretty funny, as is the scene where the younger woman turns on GM for daring to cheat on her and gives him a dressing down which shocks him. The younger woman's response to his "How can you speak to oppa that way?" of "Just because you're older, you think that makes you an oppa?" had me lol-ing.

Jin Ah deals with a work culture which I think a lot of us have seen before where the women are basically objectified and expected to serve and entertain their male superiors at work functions. The male superiors are, of course, complete Richard Simmonses, with one superior going so far as to shred proof of his own culpability in an order being missed so as to push the blame onto JA. Ouch. The other women seem to have found coping mechanisms, namely excusing themselves whenever the male superior approached them with anything other than actual work in mind, however, JA, whether because she is nicer or more obliging or feels it's inappropriate to shy on her superiors in such a manner, accedes to their demands to do love shots, go singing, etc, despite not really wanting to either. The drama poses a question in terms of Ye Eun, a younger staff member under JA, of whether JA is really setting a good example for YE or is JA just perpetuating the mis-treatment of women in the corporate culture by allowing it to happen and thus being complicit in it.

Kyung Sun is JA's best friend. Perhaps more importantly for this drama, KS is also Joon Ho's older sister, and it's clear that the affection that KS has for JH is closer to being maternal than just sibling. While we haven't been given a back story, it feels as if KS basically raised JH. And, this is going to be a major issue in the OTP being able to be together. From a comment that JA makes early on in the episode, it seems as if JH has had a crush on her when he was younger. And, JA herself tells JH at one point that if he wasn't KS' younger brother that she might have taken him up and used him up completely. LOL.

JH has just come back to Korea from being overseas, and it's not clear that he's here to stay. I couldn't help but wonder if JH went overseas because JA rejected him without realizing how much she hurt him by not taking him seriously. JH may have left to clear his head and get over her, but this is just my speculation from the set up. Now that he's back, he's allowing himself to be treated as her "little brother", and he may not totally be into her as yet. He seems to have been away for a long while, and probably expected her to be married or something anyway. However, if that's the case, then it won't take much for his feelings for her to resurface.

Btw, JHI and SYJ's chemistry is off the hook. Their scenes together have a certain tension to them, even at this stage where she sees him as her bf's little brother and he knows she's his sister's friend, but doesn't feel too little brotherly despite that. :)

And, because this is so cute, this is the final scene. No dialogue, but JH's face as he watches her says it all. Not to mention, JA totally has got her groove going.

Tagging @Jloves who was curious about what I thought about this drama. :)

56 minutes ago, diane90 said:

someone know who will make the sub ?

I think Dramafever is subbing this.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

This scene was after they had just met, they retire to a bar for a drink and a chat.

JA: So, have you found a girl that you like yet?
JH: Even if it makes me miserable, until now, Yoon Jin Ah is still the best.
JA: Aigoo. If only you had not been Seo Kyung Sun’s little brother, you would have been really killed.(both take a drink) Oh, that’s refreshing. I would have thought you would have asked to eat grilled pork skin and drink soju.
JH: With the staffers earlier, I’ve already eaten and drunk my fill.
JA: I see. Are you done with going to the overseas office now?
JH: What are you saying? With the rotation, a chance will definitely come up again for me.
JA: You had left to live in America for 3 years already, and it’s still not enough?
JH: Actually, staying put and living does sound good. I actually think being taken care of is right for me.
JA: Oh.  With just your body being all grown up, really. You should show that to Kyung Sun as well. Kyung Sun only nags on the outside. When it comes to you, Kyung Sun is scary. (meaning that KS cares for JH a lot) Do you even know how much time and effort she has spent looking for a place for you to live when you got back home? Think about your noona?
JH: The problem is that I think about her too much. I haven’t even told her yet that I’m back.
JA: You’re crazy!
JH: Saying she wants to feed me, she’s going to go to a lot of work, isn’t she? When even working at her shop is hard.
JA: (baby voice) koochi-koochi-koo. I used to carry you on my back as you were a baby, so when did you grow up like this?
JH: The noona who used to carry me on her back, when did she become so full of it?
JA: Do you really…want to die? (both laugh) It’s been a long time, hasn’t it?
JH: What about dating? (he’s asking if JA is dating)
JA: Hmm… Well, love is, as always, an NG. (meaning No Good)
JH: I hear you were dumped? (JA chokes on her drink) What’s wrong? What’s wrong?

JA: Oh, I don’t think I’m going to make it to the house. (changes to sneakers) Thanks. I’ll do it.
JH:  (crouching down in front of JA) Just in case this was a test that you wanted a piggy back ride, that I didn’t realize.
JA: (kicking him) Don’t mess around.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

They like using country music in this ep.

D'ont know who sings ' Save the last dance for me'

Normally it's Micheal Bubblé ...

from the news it's an american who sings ost in this ep 

but It's Carla Bruni (?) who sings ' Stand by your man " .. I think

• Like 6

So, sorry. I'm translating these scenes completely out of order, I know. I didn't expect to translate these various scenes, but they were so cute.

This scene actually precedes the chat at the bar which I had posted earlier. This is when JA and JH first meet up again in this drama since JH has come back into the country. There is also a cute meta.

JA: (work call on her phone) Burgamdong? Right now? No, it’s not far. I’ll go there right now. Yes. (changes into her heels and runs off)

(JA is walking later in her heels which are giving her some problems when JH rides by her, before he circles around to come up by her.)
JA: You have come. (meaning he has come back in to Korea) I thought I had seen wrongly. When did you come back into the country?
JH: Mmm….while you were sleeping?
JA: As always, you’re such a joker.
(JH continues to ride in circles around JA to tease her.)
JA: Yah! Really. If I could chase you down, I would. I’m restraining myself. You’re teasing your noona.

So, the bit of meta joke is that PHI's big break was actually as second lead in While You Were Sleeping, which I didn't see, but thought it was cute anyway.

The other thing this scene reminded me of is that they're using an American country music standard in "Stand By Your Man" as well as a country/folk version of the Motown classic "Save the Last Dance for Me" (reminds me a bit of the version sung by Carl Perkins) as the BGM for this drama thus far. Not sure how to read that, other than that American country music likes to think that they tell stories in their songs, so perhaps these songs are meant to be more thematic of this drama in total than a lot of kdrama OST's?

Oh, just saw another comment about the music in this drama.

13 minutes ago, diane90 said:

They like using country music in this ep.

D'ont know who sings ' Save the last dance for me'

Normally it's Micheal Bubblé ...

from the news it's an american who sings ost in this ep 

but It's Carla Bruni (?) who sings ' Stand by your man " .. I think

Stand by Your Man is being sung by Rachael Yamagata. Not sure who is singing "Save the Last Dance for Me", but it's not Michael Buble.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Okay, my last translation post for episode 1. I love the way JH just reacts to go to JA's aid, and the aftermath chat is pretty cute as well.

GM: Why are you ignoring my messages and not answering your phone?
JA: What is it that you had to say?
GM: This isn’t really the place. Let’s go someplace quiet to talk…
JA: That’s enough of that. If you have something to say, then say it quickly.
(JA’s co-workers notice the arguments which then also attracts JH’s attention.)
GM: Let’s just go someplace and talk.
JA: Just say it here.
(JH grabs JA by the shoulders and walks off with her.)
JA: Hey, what are you doing?
JH: Play-acting as your boyfriend. Act natural.
GM: (to JA) Oh, who is this person?
JA: Oh…
JH: Who are you?
GM: I’m Jin Ah’s boyfriend.
JH: Get lost.
GM: What did you say?!
JH: I said get lost. Are you a stalker? Do I have to report you (to the police)?
GM: (to JA) Yah! Who is this person?
JH: (into his phone) This is the police, right? I want to report a stalker.
KS: (on the phone) What are you saying? Did you cause trouble again?
GM: We’ll talk later.
KS: (on the phone) You crazy bastard! What are you reporting?!
JH: I’ll call you later. (hangs up) Noona is going to kill me.
JA: I’ll explain it to her. (walks off)

JH: Did I make a mistake?
JA: No.
JH: Then why aren’t you even saying a word to me? It seems as if you’re mad at me.
JA: Because I’m completely embarrassed. How useless am I that even a friend’s little brother steps forward to help me out of my pathetic dating situation? I’m embarrassed to death.
JH: I was not even shocked. After all, noona’s ability to judge men is a little lacking anyway.
JA: That’s what I mean.
JH: You were lucky. You could have been tied to that pathetic human being for the rest of your life. See, you were totally lucky.
JA: The interpretation is better than the event. (meaning that JH had put it into a better light than she had been experiencing it. Awww.)

Since this drama seems to rely heavily on the two leads, I'm happy that they have so much chemistry with each other. Unless it falls into makjang territory, I'll be here for the ride of JA and JH sorting out all the various issues that their eventual relationship with have. I assume that we'll get to see the entire courtship as well as the aftermath of JA and JH actually being a couple.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

So, sorry. I'm translating these scenes completely out of order, I know. I didn't expect to translate these various scenes, but they were so cute.

This scene actually precedes the chat at the bar which I had posted earlier. This is when JA and JH first meet up again in this drama since JH has come back into the country. There is also a cute meta.

JA: (work call on her phone) Burgamdong? Right now? No, it’s not far. I’ll go there right now. Yes. (changes into her heels and runs off)

(JA is walking later in her heels which are giving her some problems when JH rides by her, before he circles around to come up by her.)
JA: You have come. (meaning he has come back in to Korea) I thought I had seen wrongly. When did you come back into the country?
JH: Mmm….while you were sleeping?
JA: As always, you’re such a joker.
(JH continues to ride in circles around JA to tease her.)
JA: Yah! Really. If I could chase you down, I would. I’m restraining myself. You’re teasing your noona.

So, the bit of meta joke is that PHI's big break was actually as second lead in While You Were Sleeping, which I didn't see, but thought it was cute anyway.

The other thing this scene reminded me of is that they're using an American country music standard in "Stand By Your Man" as well as a country/folk version of the Motown classic "Save the Last Dance for Me" (reminds me a bit of the version sung by Carl Perkins) as the BGM for this drama thus far. Not sure how to read that, other than that American country music likes to think that they tell stories in their songs, so perhaps these songs are meant to be more thematic of this drama in total than a lot of kdrama OST's?

Oh, just saw another comment about the music in this drama.

Stand by Your Man is being sung by Rachael Yamagata. Not sure who is singing "Save the Last Dance for Me", but it's not Michael Buble.

I know it's not Micheal Bubble, I think maybe ... Bruce Springsteen

Rachael Yamagata's voice looks like Carla's voice 

I like country music

Edited by stroppyse
Please do not quote images/videos. Thanks.
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, diane90 said:

I know it's not Micheal Bubble, I think maybe ... Bruce Springsteen

Rachael Yamagata's voice looks like Carla's voice 

I like country music

Country music can be good, though it's not my usual beat.

I don't think it's Bruce Springsteen, but it's a song that's been covered a lot. If it is part of the official OST for this drama, however, I expect it to be a newly recorded version, so hopefully, we'll get details on the artist soon.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, dulcinea1 said:

Episode 1 rating. Good start!

4%

That’s a pretty high rating for a 1st episode on JTBC, hopefully it goes up from here.

• Like 7

Hmmm no subs yet. Gah , now I wonder if Netflix also bought the subbing rights which would usually mean a week’s delay . Anyone with subbing news ? DF has not uploaded anything 

@stroppyse Thanks a bunch for the the translations. Life savers. The chemistry btwn the two is plain to see. So important as I see the other characters are not as central & the story will be devoted to their development as a couple - a lot hinges on their connection. 

We will be treated to a bunch of sweet scenes at the start & then watch their  journey through “uncharted waters” every new couple goes through. Prepare for angst ahead. But as for now I’ll sit back & enjoy the courting & honeymoon period . Squee!!!

I laughed when he made that reference to WYWS 

He clearly adores her . He’s a keeper 

I love this scene . No words needed . He was so tactful

Edited by triplem
  • Like 6