[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

jaiwook_08

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only seen one episode so far. Since it's on Netflix, it behooves me to take a look. :wink: Of course Jung Hae In is a very big drawcard for me.

I like the approach taken by the show. I'm a great believer that Kdramaland really excels with these slice-of- life dramas and this one is shaping up to be potentially quite fun. The thing I like best about it so far is the lack of overt editorializing. We seem to have come in right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of these people's lives. They have a history that goes quite far back it seems... an easy familiarity that's about to shift into unfamiliar territory. I'm not a fan of noona romances in general but I feel I can get onboard this one because there is a history behind it (and natural chemistry) that will aid in transitioning things to the next level fairly seamlessly.

What I want to see more of (and this may come up later) is JH doing his job. So far I've seen him in his very nerdy office with his very nerdy colleagues but I don't see him actually working as a programmer etc. In the first episode the focus seems to be largely on JA which is fine and JH is just a kind of appendage patiently waiting in the wings.

I wish they hadn't turned the ex into a two-timer but it did occur to me that he wasn't really after a girlfriend or long-term relationship. What he wanted was a thrill ride, something or someone who could make him feel excitement that he wasn't getting elsewhere in his life.

I'll definitely tune in for more. I'm not after much from this. As long as it delivers the fluff that it promises, that's all I care about.

5 hours ago, sunshinefate said:

Btw, kinda sad that while we are crazy with this drama, some people on one site bashed this drama and even called it as "bloody boring" and did not even have any plot to tell. I do not even find it boring and while I am quite agree with the comment of the plot, but what I know is that this drama's main point is to tell the stages of falling in love and how to maintain it because of the social issues about the relationship. And I looked at the positive comments from the Knetizens and Cnetizens about this drama. 

Yeah, initially I was a bit surprised too reading about it.... given my enthusiasm and you could say current obsession :tongue:.  Especially that they could find it boring! But then again, not everything appeals to everyone.  There are many dramas out there that I just cant bring myself to watch and others that I lose interest in midway.....

But this one I can't get enough of ..... and that's probably of the same things that some people are finding boring & mundane stuff :wink: 

What I like here is the details in building this relationship.  Taking the time to explore all the usual stuff when two people start getting interested in each other, especially when its in secret.  Episode 6 and we are still privy to the dizzy excitement, silly conversations (which people in love have) etc.  So many different aspects!!!   How he has the guts to run into her room in her house when everyone is outside  How he introduces her to his friends and he is as natural with her there, with them around, as when they are alone together....How he smiles when he bumps into her colleagues while waiting for the elevator....

I especially liked how he told her that why are we hiding our relationship and not bringing it out in the open?  The bravado in saying I can go up now if you like and speak to your parents (ha, ha).  And especially the genuine anxiety and concern he has driving to the police station and how he cannot help himself there......Its the emotion behind!!!

And the beautifully filmed snow scenes!!!

40 minutes ago, silvermine said:

Yeah, initially I was a bit surprised too reading about it.... given my enthusiasm and you could say current obsession :tongue:.  Especially that they could find it boring! But then again, not everything appeals to everyone.  There are many dramas out there that I just cant bring myself to watch and others that I lose interest in midway.....

But this one I can't get enough of ..... and that's probably of the same things that some people are finding boring & mundane stuff :wink: 

What I like here is the details in building this relationship.  Taking the time to explore all the usual stuff when two people start getting interested in each other, especially when its in secret.  Episode 6 and we are still privy to the dizzy excitement, silly conversations (which people in love have) etc.  So many different aspects!!!   How he has the guts to run into her room in her house when everyone is outside  How he introduces her to his friends and he is as natural with her there, with them around, as when they are alone together....How he smiles when he bumps into her colleagues while waiting for the elevator....

I especially liked how he told her that why are we hiding our relationship and not bringing it out in the open?  The bravado in saying I can go up now if you like and speak to your parents (ha, ha).  And especially the genuine anxiety and concern he has driving to the police station and how he cannot help himself there......Its the emotion behind!!!

And the beautifully filmed snow scenes!!!

Actually since 2016 I have never found any dramas to be appealing. I watched Go Back Couple and liked it but did not become crazy, maybe it was because the theme mainly was not about romance, but about family. And finally I found this drama. The reasons why I have not found any dramas to be appealing for almost 2 years were because most dramas which were popular during those years were all about unrealistic villains, not quite good acting from the leads and only depended from their popularity among young viewers (I am still 22 y.o. but my taste has always been adult stories or young adults), childish characters, and repetitive plots like saving her or saving him from the unrealistic villains. I was really tired of those kind of things and this drama does not have anything that I hate which make me crazy about it. Yeah, not everything appeals to everyone but to say that this drama is bloody boring is quite harsh lol. There are tons of dramas that I found boring but I never called it as bloody boring lol because I believe what we find boring will not be the case to the others. The ratings show that this drama is getting more and more popular among viewers.

PS: No offense to anyone :D

6 hours ago, mundaliv said:

===?

Concerning JH falling in love with JA, actually shown in episode 6. Well, it’s the beginning when JH saw JA in the street. He saw her first as one attractive woman, and realized it‘s JA. I guess this is already background of him starting to have interest more to the noona he knew. While I have theory that men usually love women just like that. No need of specific reasons, no need logical reasons, it‘s just the woman that he is in love with

This scene, explained like that I find kind of UN-satisfying. If just left like that without anything further, then I'd wish he hadn't even explained it.  WHY?

1) She was really insignificantly far away for him to have spotted her from all the other people-scape of passer-bys

2) It sounds kinda flippant, IF he'd only singled her out bec he'd spotted someone "pretty".

Sounds like what a player would do - hit on random pretty women.  It could be ANYONE pretty in that case - so just happened it turns out she was JA. (makes it kinda shallow in a way)

I guess what we're hoping that there IS  some other (unexplained) background history with his strong interest already existing,  and JH's interest from back then lead to him specifically looking JA up, upon his return. Bec his sister didn't even know he when he had returned!

For Strong Woman Do BS,  I see it as somewhat different than this random strong impression.

BS had made a strong memorable impression on him there and then in the flashback scene, bec she had done the rescue. He was impressed by how cool it all was, how cool SHE was ... and his admiration/interest started. Creating strong memories and impressions which were spawned from that ONE significant moment, about 'that mysterious girl in red coat'.

And I can totally SEE how she'd have left an impression - he was more immature and kinda a child-like adult- kid (he was awe-struck gobsmacked, same way he would worship Wonder Woman).

@jus-ash your profile picture is the same as my phone's wallpaper now lol. 

33 minutes ago, jus-ash said:

She was really insignificantly far away for him to have spotted her from all the other passer-by's.

Maybe our Joon Hee has eagle eyes to spot a woman's beauty from a far lol :D maybe it's the reason Jin Ah was kinda teasing him for his reason to fall for her at that dinner scene and Joon Hee said "no, it's not like that". His playboy side in him is there lol

I'm not sure, but I think today they've filmed on location (there are some photos/videos in instagram).

At the moment, it's not a drama with a lot of these scenes (we have watched a lot of scenes in JH's apartment :wink:, in the office...), but I love when we can see some things like that thanks to Korean fans :).

Do we really need a backstory of JA and JH?  I don't need the backstory because i feel they gave enough info to see how they treated each other before the relationship changed to them being a couple.  Some of their interaction implies this playful relationship.   

Love happens for almost any reason and at any time.  For some it may be physical attraction then loves come but for others it can be through a conversation and the two connects..it's really various forms.   I feel that they connected through their conversation (the ease and comfort with each other).  

8 hours ago, sunshinefate said:

@jus-ash your profile picture is the same as my phone's wallpaper now lol. 

Maybe our Joon Hee has eagle eyes to spot a woman's beauty from a far lol :D maybe it's the reason Jin Ah was kinda teasing him for his reason to fall for her at that dinner scene and Joon Hee said "no, it's not like that". His playboy side in him is there lol

Hi Five! = profile pic :lol:  (hey, whatever happened to all the range of other emoticons  that used to exist on older Soompi?)

So ok ... he picked HER out from that people-scape of passerbys. Bec she was pretty.

Ok i guess kinda romantic since he spotted just this ONE person from afar. <_<

But in a way, that makes him all his actions thus far kinda persistently like a very proactive SY no; who keeps hitting on him, making excuses to eat together etc .... just bec he's cute and she's interested? :lol:

See WHY I hope for more depth in backstory to it?

==========================

@ tiMadam .... I would really prefer to think yes it spawned out of a comfortable ease with each other, rather than the random "WOW, she's pretty - WHO is it? Let's go closer and see if I can pick her up?"  (sunshinefate,  maybe I would prefer NOT to think of him as a player).

For that same reason,  I don't need to hear "saranghaes /// na du saranghaes" out loud because you can see through their (HIS actions esp) interactions that he's head over heels smitten with her and that he really cares (how considerately sweet and thoughtful is it, that he actually STAYED in her parking lot after dropping her off, on the morning when they both overslept? :wub: :thumbsup: Just for waiting around -  he scored BONUS points, in my bks = he was so worrying totally WITH her, it wasn't just lip service - he actually cares.

(most guys would just do the gf drop off, and then drive off. some dudes won't even bother to ask if it was ok later, or what happened later  at home.  and the worse ones who are more interested in the physical (ie sex) part ...  the girls may even head home themselves while the guy carries on sleeping)

All the way fr Ep 1, with the rather creepy gesture of taking a pix of her sleeping. :heart:  JA seems to wholly consume his life and thoughts, way more than he does hers (to the pt he cannot work, or is willing to skip work, quit job etc). Which is why that random "who is she, she's pretty" does not quite satisfyingly suffice.

===========================

Aka I would buy into this insight of yours:   " I feel that they connected through their conversation (the ease and comfort with each other). "   but prefer NOT to think he was attracted just bec a random stranger out there was very pretty.

Which is why that general thought (here, on DB and what I also think) that he had been crushing on her even back  then, before leaving - hoping to forget her or get over it in those 3 yrs away - makes it more palatable to me,  bec of how he has been acting since Ep 1.

Next 2 episodes will definitely feature the couple coming to terms with others’ opinions (positive or negative) of their relationship.

I can’t help but feel this sense of foreboding that GM will exact revenge on them now that he confirms they are a couple. I don’t like how PD nim panned to JA’s handphone that dropped on the ground when she confronted GM at his apartment.

FBE8B3FF-39DC-4EBD-ABE8-1682B9A32E85_zps

I am thinking GM is going to extract information on JA and JH being together from her handphone. Their private lovey dovey messages to each other etc... Perhaps, he will send this information to JA’s parents to prove his “innocence”. Imagine the uproar this will cause with JA’s mum.

15 hours ago, 122am said:

I think with this drama, Jung Hae In has secured himself to be a reliable male lead, someone who can pull in the high ratings. I've been watching so many "just-okay" drama that I know it's difficult to have a lead who can pull in the audience from ep 1 to the last ep. 

He has been making excellent drama choices, Goblin to WYWS to Prison Playbook and now this, hopefully the ratings will be exceptional moving forward, fingers crossed for the plot. No to a weak plot! No no no. 

I have to agree to disagree with you. Yes, he did show that he is the lead actor material, but for someone like him (new to the role of main lead) choosing the right project with the right main lead actress is the key to success. He is not the only one pulling in the audience. For me, Son Ye Jin is the reason why I started to watch this drama. Yes, I do like him in this drama. I know he was in two other dramas recently, but I didn't watch both of them. I don't even remember seeing him in Goblin, though I watched that drama ep to ep. But for SYJ, I will always watch her movies and dramas. There is a reason why she is called the "queen of melodrama". If she didn't have that power of pulling in the audience, directors of dramas like this can't just rely on newcomers just because they are "handsome" and showed some "promising" acting skill. 

2 minutes ago, ilu2 said:

I have to agree to disagree with you. Yes, he did show that he is the lead actor material, but for someone like him (new to the role of main lead) choosing the right project with the right main lead actress is the key to success. He is not the only one pulling in the audience. For me, Son Ye Jin is the reason why I started to watch this drama. Yes, I do like him in this drama. I know he was in two other dramas recently, but I didn't watch both of them. I don't even remember seeing him in Goblin, though I watched that drama ep to ep. But for SYJ, I will always watch her movies and dramas. There is a reason why she is called the "queen of melodrama". If she didn't have that power of pulling in the audience, directors of dramas like this can't just rely on newcomers just because they are "handsome". 

Agree with you to 100%. Son Hye Jin is warranty of success. I started this drama 1. for the noona/dongsaeng story which i like, 2. for Son Hye Jin which i totally love for acting! Jung Hae In is one of my favourite korean actors but i've discovered him only in While you're sleeping. BTW both actors deserve an award for this drama. Their chemistry really ROCK!!!:wub:

6 hours ago, redwitch said:

This drama makes me smile a lot. Nice contrast in terms of mood to my other favorite, My Ajusshi.

Geez if you're watchung MA I would agree it is vastly different. I like the male lead there but it is too heavy for me.

I am replying to this also to comment about disparaging remarks about this show. Personally I rarely get incensed or personally insulted by people liking or disliking it. It is after all a drama with multiple ordinary scenes. Vs some with heavier themes or big dramatic scenes. But that's why I like Kdramas. I can usually find something to suit my mood.

And currently I am not inclined to any dramas with serious themes. Or rather weighty messages to convey. 

Besides getting a well casted, good directing and well written drama is so rare I am taking it while it is here. I want to smile and squeal. Live vicariously through this delicious romance. The giddy in love or in their case a fair bit of ? lust.

11 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Geez if you're watchung MA I would agree it is vastly different. I like the male lead there but it is too heavy for me.

I am replying to this also to comment about disparaging remarks about this show. Personally I rarely get incensed or personally insulted by people liking or disliking it. It is after all a drama with multiple ordinary scenes. Vs some with heavier themes or big dramatic scenes. But that's why I like Kdramas. I can usually find something to suit my mood.

And currently I am not inclined to any dramas with serious themes. Or rather weighty messages to convey. 

Besides getting a well casted, good directing and well written drama is so rare I am taking it while it is here. I want to smile and squeal. Live vicariously through this delicious romance. The giddy in love or in their case a fair bit of ? lust.

After a whole slew of steady wkend fare like My Golden Life, Misty and Money Flower ...  slice of life but also either quite heavy dark or quite makjang too ... Or the current rather trite and even inane with irritating acting family dramas ... so much unnecc 'noise and screaming'  (Shall We Live Together, Good Witch etc = either from the older generation actors, or the younger generation) and endless 'drama' from the older-generation actors ... I'd much rather settle for what some folks deem "boring, goes nowhere much plot" but what I deem contemporary slice of life relatable. And with a nice touch of nostalgia thrown in too. And the directing, acting and chemistry all come together to be pretty SATISFYING ... the whole package here suffices for me.  (after all those darker dramas = Misty, Money Flower - it's not like I walked away feeling very content that they were very enjoyable rides either in the end, so why bother?)

It is NOT exactly all inane fluff here the way some all romance dramas can be ... where while enjoying the romance, you're expected to park the grey matter (or go "Oh REALLY? ) to enjoy the moment.

Like that 'skipping' in the cinema scene as she skipped after her popcorn ... this sums up this drama's watching for me.

About the only characters who jarr on me are GM (who's the stereotypical goof) and her mom.

And for some reason ... KS (it's either her voice or something - a little brisk, and also bright cheery). She does ACT like an intrusive mom, rather than sister, maybe that's why too.

======================

Though I feel they can lay off the candy pecks and hugs a little. (ep 5-6)

While it's nice to see skinship ... an endless flow of it inside his house ... makes it LESS memorable.

Quality vs Quantity.

I'd much rather they concentrate  on fewer  but subtle and so effective skinship moments here ... like that Hand Holding moment (my favorite! scene), or little touches like the fact he was lurking below in the carpark outside her house after she crept back home. The introspective quiet moments of his portrait-drawing. Or the funny ... like how she did her reverse parking and pretended she'd just left the house.

======================

While I like IU (less Lee Sung-Kyung aka The Voice) ... I am staying well away from My Ajjushi. :ph34r:

Heavy enough for me those days was Uee and Lee Seo-jin back then in Marriage Contract, or Scent of a Woman (Lee Dong-wook, Kim Sun-ah). And gone are those early Kdrama days where I actually knowingly chose to bawl my eyes out together with all drama-chingus over MISA (Soh Ji-sub) or Did We Really Love (Bae Yong-jun, Kim Hye-soo).

Bailed gradually out of current Shall We Kiss First as well, despite looking forward to Gam Woo-sung (who hardly does dramas).

Hi guys! I'm loving this series, this is the first drama i've swooned over since Just Between Lovers.

OMG remembering the amount of anxiety i have over that drama, hahaha.

Anyway, did anybody have the link to episode 5&6 with english subtitle? Every site i know (kissasian/myasiantv/viewasian) took FOREVER to sub. This is so unusual, usually they took less than a day, but for this drama they haven't even sub the episode 5 yet :(

48 minutes ago, angelkhaterine1211 said:

Hi guys! I'm loving this series, this is the first drama i've swooned over since Just Between Lovers.

OMG remembering the amount of anxiety i have over that drama, hahaha.

Anyway, did anybody have the link to episode 5&6 with english subtitle? Every site i know (kissasian/myasiantv/viewasian) took FOREVER to sub. This is so unusual, usually they took less than a day, but for this drama they haven't even sub the episode 5 yet :(

Welcome aboard and enjoy your first 4 subbed episodes at least.

Most of us actually went WITHOUT any subs at all for 2 wkends, since this drama aired on Easter long wkend.

The subs for 1-2 just came out last wkend, and 3-4 more recently (past few days or so)

BIG THANKS to live recaps at Bah + Doo Dramamilk site :kiss_wink: ... and to stroppyse and helpful others :kiss_wink: here for almost-instant translations ... there was even a subbing team set up!

Anyways we survived, and filled in the blanks for these past 2 wkends.   Or we went on Mandarin-subbed sites, which didn't seem to be affected by whatever rights.

I am on another viewing site, which normally has subs a couple of hours after the Raws come out (normally 1 hr after airing). Even when other sites don't have the Raws up, they normally do, with subs following a couple of hours later. Subs for this are just controlled (Netflix rights) or slow. You're lucky you're watching 1-4 subbed, most of us didn't. :grin:

1 hour ago, jus-ash said:

Welcome aboard and enjoy your first 4 subbed episodes at least.

Most of us actually went WITHOUT any subs at all for 2 wkends, since this drama aired on Easter long wkend.

The subs for 1-2 just came out last wkend, and 3-4 more recently (past few days or so)

BIG THANKS to live recaps at Bah + Doo Dramamilk site :kiss_wink: ... and to stroppyse and helpful others :kiss_wink: here for almost-instant translations ... there was even a subbing team set up!

Anyways we survived, and filled in the blanks for these past 2 wkends.   Or we went on Mandarin-subbed sites, which didn't seem to be affected by whatever rights.

I am on another viewing site, which normally has subs a couple of hours after the Raws come out (normally 1 hr after airing). Even when other sites don't have the Raws up, they normally do, with subs following a couple of hours later. Subs for this are just controlled (Netflix rights) or slow. You're lucky you're watching 1-4 subbed, most of us didn't. :grin:

So glad i'm coming back to this thread, i finally understand all of those raw videos i've watched with the help of amazing subbers here in soompi!

OMG i cant believe you survive those 2 weekends without subtitle, i might turn into miserable women trying to understand what these 2 people talking!!!!!

Can't wait to see you guys speculation about this drama, already feeling so excited!!!

57 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I think all of these encounters heightened his interest in JA. He already knows that she's a good, caring person since he's seen her around a lot as he was growing up.  Now, he realizes how beautiful, cute, and sexy she is. Plus, she's found herself in circumstances where he could step in and provide some help, triggering his protective instincts as well and it also causes JA to be aware of JH as a man rather than her best friend's little brother therefor the equivalent of her little brother.

It also is probably a matter of timing. Both JH and JA have had other relationships, but right now, both of them were not in relationships. It's also probably a matter of age. When JH was 20, so just out of school, JA probably looked very old and sophisticated to him, and out of his reach even if he had crushed on her back then. However, now that he's 31, the age difference probably doesn't seem as big to him. Plus, JA is beautiful, cute, and sexy.

Initially, I was also wondering if JH had been crushing hard on JA before he went to America, but I'm willing to buy that JH's desire for JA right now really started from the moment when they met up again and his interest has continued to grow in her, just as JA was not aware of JH as a man before, but she is now.

The matter of timing :) JA is vulnerable because of her relationship with MG and her career condition, and JH is around, giving her protection. 

I think JH already noticed that JA is beautiful but he never thought anything else as she is anyway his noona before he went to America. 

But because he is interested to see her the first time, and now he realized that she is cute. I remember the umbrella scene, he already plan to take her under one umbrella. Instead of buying 2 umbrellas, he bought only 1 umbrella :wink: 

Age is really the case.. after 30, practically you are in the same age :D It’s somehow after 30, you see people already in the same level. So JH already 31 and JA is only 35. Not a huge age gap. And after 3 years not seeing each other, no wonder there are sparks between them :wink: 

Archived