[Drama 2018] Shall We Live Together/ Marry Me Now? 같이 살래요

larus

@darr I was as angry as you are regarding other's lack of knowledge (or you could call it ignorance) in what it concerns smaller European countries, especially the East-European ones. I am from Romania, and the only thing that rings a bell when people think about my country is "Dracula"... And honestly, we don't know about him ourselves, as it is a novel written by a guy who wasn't even Romanian. In the same time, I ask myself why people don't know that Romania is on par with the US, China and Russia when it comes to gymnastics, for example, or how can people say that the capital of the country is Budapest (Hungary), instead of Bucharest (Romania). That was before I realized that I didn't know much about Tahiti before I befriended people from Tahiti, and I didn't know that much about America, Asia, or Africa, even though I learned about all of them in school. It is normal to be more familiar with the places found in our proximity, and not about some faraway country we only heard about. And, at the end of the day, Budapest and Bucharest do sound quite similar, at least in English.

@chasen8888 stereotypes are also a form of knowledge. In fact, without even realizing it, we have stereotypes about most of the things we are not familiar with. Our stereotypes fade away when we start knowing a certain culture, or certain people. I've only met Colombians in international conferences, so I think that Colombians are dark-skinned and don't speak English. Are all of them like that? Are most of them like that? I don't know, as today I met one who had quite fair skin and, to some degree, spoke English. Nevertheless, psychologists say it is normal to have stereotypes and is part of developing our worldview and they only become destructive when we have proof of the opposite right in front of us, but we deny its existence/validity because we choose to keep those stereotypes.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that one cannot talk about a continent as if it is a small village, and that scriptwriters should do their homework, but it is normal for people to not be familiar with what we consider to be "common knowledge", as we are not familiar with their "common knowledge" either.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, chasen8888 said:

It’s still about MY

Ep 49

• MY catches scum ex trying to scam her with the other characters being informed about her health.  HH has trouble accepting this and is upset.
  • MY confronts the ex about her illness and he pretends that he does not know anything, she plays the recording and tells him that this was a test to see what he would do etc.  Ex shows his true self, MY scolds him and asks if he ever thought about MS.
  • MS confronts Yang as to his meetings with scum ex, Yang tells MS about the scam and that MY is ill.  Meanwhile MY tells ex that she is protected by her people but he will have no one, ex scoffs at MY who leaves as she was feeling ill.  Ex is now suspicious of the signed contract, see MY being ill and struggling he follows her.  However the Park family picks her up, takes her home and she sleeps comfortably.
  • MS meets HS to discuss MY, he is having trouble accepting this; HS tells him the truth, MS cries as HS comforts him.
  • HH is still upset, JH tries to be strong for all. SH talks to HH about MY etc, HH says that she does not like all this happening to MY etc.  MY overhears the talk and is very touched.  MY comes in the room trying to comfort her, it’s a touching scene with JH/SH watching.
  • The next day ET picks up YH/ES, JJH volunteers to look after ES.  Ex does not trust the signed contract, MS confronts ex as to the scam, ex comes with a lot of excuses, shifts blame and try to use the fact the he is MS’s bio father to get out of this.  MS listens, says that he understands something about MY etc. and leaves, he cries outside.
  • HH picks herself up and tells HS/gossipy man that she will take care of the store etc.  It’s a thoughtful scene with HS hugging HH for her actions & words.
  • KS invites WAM for a date, as he was lifting a box, he meets a helpful new neighbor, the talk is brief but this is seen by WAM who smiles.  Signs to a possible love interest for WAM.  While on their “date”  WAM/KS talk to which he says that he is fine etc and what he wants.
  • JH/DY are on the phone talking when he sees CK drinking, he hangs up.  CK is having trouble accepting the new DY etc. JH responds with some sincere words, they talk about their respective feelings etc on DY.  As they were leaving they got in a fight with some customers and sent to the police.  DY picks them up and gets angry with the whole situation ending up slapping one of the person who got in the fight with JH/CK.  Its, funny and JJH ends up picking all of them up and taking them home.  At the house they are being scolded by JJH/ET they defended themselves, CK leaves the room and DY reconciles with her father.
  • The next day ET’s issue comes up again with the doctor in charge trying to persuade YH to convince ET that he is needed in Africa etc.  ET cuts him and tells him that he is getting married etc., YH watches this concerned.  At his office ET/YH argues about the issue, YH makes her point saying that he should go etc. and leaves.
  • Scum ex has not given up on scamming MY, he meets gossipy lady who calls MY and tells her.  MY looks at her medicine suspiciously.
  • JH tries to encourage MS to be strong, he comes home to see MY there, they have a meal in which he is tearful, regretful and self-blaming as to ex causing trouble etc.  MY tells MS that it’s not his fault but he does not accept this.
  • There is a light but important moment with YH/ES as she mentions getting married etc.  ET recalls YH’s words when she proposed to him and comes to the house.  YH is outside waiting for him, ET says he has to go but he does not want to give up on them and asks that she goes with him.  YH says yes to that, he tries to put up roadblocks but she obliterates them and he hugs her.  The next day at school ET/YH go to pick up ES, ET tries to break up ES’s hand holding with her friend.  ES tells them that she will marry the guy in a stubborn manner which has the parents stumped.
  • Scum ex is still pushing the scam, MY discusses this with HS as she was leaving who is worried, she tells him that she will be fine.  HS contacts MS and lets him know that scum ex has not given up on stealing from MY.  Scum ex receives a call from his scum partners with him being optimistic with a deal closure and new beginning for himself. 
  • MY meets Yang and they talk.  MY goes strong, holding the medicine while talking to Yang meanwhile MS confronts scum ex and blocks his path.  MS takes out the contract.

Preview

ET/YH gets married

Scum ex gets desperate

Thoughts

It does not surprise me that scum ex has never learned from what he did in the past and is still doing in the present.  Because to him in the first place it was never his fault it was MY etc. for a person who claim to be able to read people well he is so dumb.  Yang at least have a conscience and I do not think he changed the medicine but he is guilty of trying to harm MY.  From the preview it’s the end for scum ex and likely redemption for Yang.

ET/YH issue was one to me was easy in the first place as they can work overseas and be parents to ES, they have a mutual goal.  I cannot imagine the woman who JJH wanted to pair up ET with wanting to do so.  The family have their own unique way of dealing with MY’s illness particularly MS/JH/HH.  HH cries it out and picks herself up, MS blames himself while JH is strong for everyone.  I hope that scene with JH/DY from the earlier preview is seen because he needs her to be there for him as he always try to be the most reliable person but he needs someone to lean on, namely DY.

The new neighbour to me will become WAM’s love interest as the drama is wrapping up and they are giving WAM a life separate from KS/SH and the café which gives her energy to be active.

The next episode is a wedding, there were other scenes in the preview but the 2 were the key ones.

Thanks again for giving me another link which works just as well.

Take care and looking forward to the next episode. 

Other - I agree with @darr in relation to statements that is being used for Africa.  I won't expand on this but the whole thing also points out arrogance, hypocrisy, stereotyping and discrimination as to people of color and certain nations/continents and its very sad when they do this because its like boasting that my country is better than yours and you need me etc.  its a complete turn off and which is why the world is the way it is - very sad.  However it seems that all these first world countries have forgotten something very significant and that is a large number of civilizations, inventions etc came from those continents that are poor etc., they have made their contributions in making the world develop etc.  So its sad when they do this and its not patriotism here.  No man is an island, no one stands alone; never forget where or who has helped to make your life better.   There is a strange thing called humility and sincerity it goes a far way.

Gone for now

As a person of color myself I really appreciate this post. :innocent:

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2018] Shall We Live Together/ Marry Me Now? 같이 살래요

I enjoyed this drama and thank you all for the wonderful, interesting and insightful comments here and quick summaries shared here when I watched the raws in advance. 

Just want to add my two cents on the topic of Africa. Since this is a drama, not a documentary, it is better to leave out a name of the fictitious "African country" as the named country may not be happy to be named too. Of course, if KBS want to collaborate with a specific health service aid in any country, they can use that in their drama with permission and help in donation drive. Otherwise, keep it simple. 

12 minutes ago, kbsfan2018 said:

, it is better to leave out a name of the fictitious "African country" as the named country may not be happy to be named too.

But if the country is fictitious, then it won't be unhappy to be named because it doesn't exist. Like Uruk in DOTS - Uruk won't be unhappy to be named because there's no such place. So making up an African country would work, too

Well ep 49 was actually the most entertaining so far. I am talking about the fight scene.

Btw, it's my bed time and I don't feel like wading into the whole Africa vs a specific African country. The oddest thing is that I hear that there are so many Koreans doing missions or charity work overseas including countries in Africa; that it is an absolute puzzle to me why they didn't name one country.

But then this is the same writer who made LSW a Professor. I don't actually know till this date why his specialty is so wanted in Africa. Well what is his sub-specialty that is so special? That cannot be done by another doctor.

I am asking because I actually have colleagues who go on specific humanitarian medical work to specific countries in specific regions. And usually for specific conditions. Or if general it is family medicine, immunisation or health care teaching. In fact I have another classmate who heads or starts up health care projects in multiple countries. And since most anyone heading there has a specialty a specific country is usually chosen. But then again  this writer is sloppy anyway. My dept goes to a Pacific nation annually. And the fundraising takes the whole year since it is department specific and volunteers go. But the writer's whole grand or rather grandiose inter- border medical mission programme sounds like a high faluting sweeping statement  " super important medical person essential for an African medical mission." Did he/ she even research what medical missions do? Most everyone brings their own supply. And transport is an issue. There is even a medical company in my country which supplies stuff for medical missions. I could go on and on about what the conditions of the countries they go to and what supplies are usually brought across. Which mission trip just needs a physical body as the mission representative? 

Sorry. Hard to be non specific and vague as specific details would remove my anonymity in my user name.

So blithely stating Africa to make it sound impressive is a joke. Since one person usually does not or cannot make or break a mission trip. No medical doctor works alone. No surgeon can work alone. And sigh, making it sound so easy to pull off.

Does the writer know how hard it is to deal with one region much less make Prof Jung responsible for work over multiple African countries? We can't usually deal with just the daily number of patients who turn up when its an African region in ONE country ( purposely not naming any) much less be so ambitious for multiple countries. And in more populated areas, just dealing and teaching one hospital's patients and doing teaching is hard work. And supplies are never enough. And wow those guys are going to be there 1 or 2 years? When we go over that long most professionals end up guest teaching at the local universities. I don't know about other medical missions but most of us can teach at undergrad or post grad levels. We hardly have inexperienced people volunteering. So yeah this writer makes me laugh. 

But anyway * yawn * we have a sperm donor and biological mother of an IVF child meet in a different country from where the birth occurs.

I don't have high expectations from this writer.

On a sidenote PD NA did mention why Youth over Flowers in Africa was so non specific. If anyone watched that show and remember the reason? I did watch it and forgot what he said exactly why he chose the name Africa when they only went to 4 African nations.

All ends well for everyone.  We are happy there was no extension.:)

Ep 50 (final)

• MY meets with Yang to determine what scum ex action will be, after she leaves HS tells her that he told MS and why.
  • MS tries to tear the contract but it’s taken away by scum ex, MS also pleads with him to do the right thing but the ex chooses himself and leaves.  MS is in tears once scum ex leaves.  Scum ex meets a buyer to make the deal and gets arrested.  Highly unlikely that he will be in jail for more than 3 years.
  • HS/MY finds out what happened, HS looks for MS but no luck; however MS was at his store.  MS is very sad and regretful, HS is there for him while he cries.
  • Next day, JJH finds out about ET leaving for Africa she gets worried and rushes out for confirmation, ET/YH are discussing this in ET’s office. JJH gets confirmation from ET, she starts scolding him about this but YH lets her know that they are going together.  After hearing this, JJH is headachy and happy to see ES. YH talks to JJH saying that she will be at ET’s side etc.  JJH is grateful and thanks YH.
  • MY meets the ex in prison, they talk and he asks to see MS, MY lets MS know and we see ex saying some thoughtful words but MS is not there as he refuses to see him and he lets MY know why.
  • WAM finds out about MY’s illness from KS, she is reasonable this time.
  • It’s a family meeting at the house with the members getting a list as to how to look after MY’s health, it’s read aloud and all are fine.  YH lets them know that she will be going away with ET.  ET also tells his family, JJH starts to take control of wedding preparations, she contacts MY. The sisters talk about HS/MY and YH’s marriage.
  • CK calls HS for a meeting, its DY/JH turn and they are nervous, it’s an awkward introduction as HS finds out that DY is ET’s niece and the family connection.  The fathers talk about the couple to which HS has no issue with the relationship as long as they like each other, JH/DY are happy much to the dissatisfaction of CK.  JJH finds out that CK lost and is happy about this as she likes the respective partners for ET/DY.
  • JJH talk to ET/YH about the wedding preparation which has them uncomfortable looking at each other while JJH takes over.
  • DY does her interview but feels that she did not do so well and talks to JH who tries to cheer her up, however their talk is interrupted by a scolding call from MS.  DY seeks advice from HH how to help JH and gets it (seems like a trick by HH).
  • ET/YH are at the hospital talking about the wedding prep by JJH saying that is not what they want.  The couple decide to do the wedding themselves, ET/YH gets clothes, YH lets SH know that she is marrying ET that day. YH meets ET dressed up he is happy, makes some promises, it’s a vow between them and they dry kiss.  ET asks ES permission to be her father etc. she says yes to that.  ET/YH also asks ES permission for them to go travel together, she says yes to that as well as long as they are together she is happy.  ET/YH/ES are now a family.:):wub:
  • YH tells SH that she is very happy and thanks her for everything, the couple go to their next meeting calling each other “yobo”.  It’s the elder meet to discuss wedding matters it was getting a bit heated with the respective pairs JJH vs MY, CK vs HS which is seen by ET/YH who let them know that they got married once they got ES’s permission to do so.  The elders are surprised by this, JJH is upset with ET, YH discusses it with her family who seem to be okay.
  • WAM and SH start over in their relationship, with WAM holding out the peace branch.
  • DY/JH meet, to which in order to cheer him up DY does the cute kid act which has her embarrassed but JH likes it asking her to do it again, DY runs out and receives a call that she got the job/internship.  The couple are happy.
  • HH is running the store giving instructions to the shoemakers, later she sees MS/JH playing a game.  It’s a funny but casual talk with the trio, HH got upset with JH when she receives a thank you text from DY saying that he liked it.  JH says it different getting from your girlfriend than sister, MS also gets upset with JH. Light moment.:D
  • MY sees her doctor who asks her how she is, she seem to be at peace with herself.  Later she along with SH meet ET to discuss his program, it seems that she plans to help him but it also seems like she is reflective about some things as well.
  • It’s a new day and all appear to be getting ready for ET/YH/ES’s departure. JJH is upset that the trio are leaving, CK offers to take her to the gallery.  It’s a warm time with ET/YH/ES, MS drives while MY/HH have a nice talk, JH picks up HS.  MS/MY/HH reach their location, it’s a surprise wedding with all the characters there cheering and ES as the flower girl.  MY is happy and expresses her thoughts while down the aisle, HS puts on the wedding ring, all are smiling.  HS thoughts are expressed as well, the couple hug.  There is a wedding picture taken and the show ends.

Thoughts

First I want to thank all of you for accompanying me with the show, it has been good with different opinions expressed in a funny, respectful, insightful, interesting and open-minded manner yet full of goodwill.  I enjoyed it, now I can turn off my alarm and get some sleep sleep time, not that it was a chore – but it’s the weekend.

In episode 49, I made an error in relation to the character who was helping KS saying that he was a possible neighbor and love interest for WAM when he was neither.  However, I think it would have been good if they went in that direction for WAM, she has been a widow for too long and apart from the cafe/KS frankly she needs a man.

This is one of the very few weekend dramas that I have watched that ended things in a decent manner with no form of rush and is done neatly.

HS/MY are together for longevity and are happy as they are now complete with their lives with loved ones surrounding and protecting them.

ET/YH/ES are now a family, they did a personal ceremony and register the marriage.  However, what happen to the honeymoon?  They have also matured individually and together, as long as they are together everything will work out.  YH learnt from her previous marriage as to what she wants from a relationship and demands it from ET who gives it to her as he realizes that she will be beside him as a partner. ES is now free to be a child/herself without the worry of her mother being insulted for it by the in-law or others.  ES is more  happy and stable, wanting to marry her friend from kindergarten.  Hmm in the future will ES marry him?

JH/DY are the dating couple who provide support for each other and sincerely care for each other’s well being and their family.  They like ET/YH have also matured personally, professionally, individually and as a couple.  I really wish that edited scene was played but its gone now.

SH/KS the flat couple have reached a place where they can live comfortably with WAM who has in her own way grown up and got a better understanding of her daughter in law who is not to be bullied.

HH has matured and carries the legacy of both HS/MY.  In that she will do investing but also watch over her father’s business, she is her own boss using the skills that she has gained from both of them and part time job experiences.  HH is still HH and I like that because she has her immature moments but her loyalty for the most part has always been to the family and those that she care for. After a while may be she will start dating someone but right now her focus will be on HS/MY and her professional life.

MS has received one of the best things in life and that is a complete family.  MS is no longer alone and is now free to be himself after hours.  He lost his bio father but did not lose a father as he has HS, instead his bio father lost.  The fact that he is siblings with HH is fine as well because they treat each other as such.  In the future he will meet someone but one of his top criteria would likely be – must get on well with his new family.

JJH is happy that the persons that she cherish the most are finally with people that she wholeheartedly loves as reach her on a spiritual level. It just so happens that they are from the same family.  However she was a bit too troublesome for a while due to her over protectiveness of ET, snobbish ways and close minded views about life.

CK is the same in a way but he has somewhat learned to accept the new DY and tries to accept her boyfriend JH.

The drama has ended with all the key areas tied in a pretty bow.

My recapping has also ended, not sure when I will do another, as I am taking a break.

Gone for now and take care of yourselves everyone.

@chasen8888, many thanks for all the summaries you provided over all these weekends through sacrificed sleep. I enjoyed reading your recaps that help stave off the curiosity especially during certain plots. I enjoyed this drama and I’m glad to hear it ended in a satisfactory way. I still have the two final episodes to watch and I’m looking forward to them.

Oh..I am going to miss so much this Drama. Is the only one I watched during the weekend. But happy with the resolve. I would not have mind 2 more episodes to give a better setle and undestanding into their life. 

3 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Btw did everyone else find out that ES is ET daughter?

This information was kept with probably 6 persons - YH, ET, HS, MY, JJH and probably SH.  I mentioned SH because YH trusts her a lot with things happening in her life so she may mention it to her.  SH knew what YH's ex did but as to the actually father "-----".

They decided not the tell everyone in order to protect ES and it does not matter as long as the key persons know.  When ES becomes an adult that could be discussed but its not the main issue as long as she is happy and has a stable family environment that's the key to ES's upbringing.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:25 PM, gerrytan8063 said:

In the preview

WOW!

MY confront her ex-husband, as she is curious what he will do as he knows that she is suffering from dementia

MY: Even though how ill, am I.....I am still Yi Mi Yeon

That's my favourite line from my favourite character.

She kind of became the central figure who eschewed social taboos in the whole drama from start to finish : First, she loved her son unconditionally although he has no blood relations with her (versus ES who was only accepted by ET's family because she is ET's biological daughter) ; then she went hunting for an autumn romance; then her no-string-attached acceptance of HS's family, esp ES( versus HS's family dramatic change in attitude towards her after knowing her wealth); then she discovered and accepted ET and DY coming from the same family (Would DY get two suitors had she remain fat?); and then, instead of getting paranoid, she faces dementia head-on....it takes guts to check yourself for mental illnesses...and most exemplary of all, she appointed a legal guardian based on merits, not relationship (versus Park Sun-Ha's MIL's acceptance of Sun-Ha because of the wealth and influence of MY.) Most people would have appointed their closest relation as their legal guardian but when it involves lots of $$$, it can be tragically unwise.

Yet on the other end of the spectrum, could MY still be that heroic step-mum defending her stepchildren from all those bullies had she been financially and socially poorer than HS's family?

I really like the theme in this drama but the plot development was so exasperating (I waited 50 episodes for HS to give Moon-Sik a daddy's hug) that I loathed any extension beyond 50episodes.

MY's acting is marvellous and awesome in every epi. She really deserves an award for this drama. All actors and actresses did their roles but to me MY is way above anyone in the drama.:tounge_wink:

I would like to say a big Thank You to @chasen8888who has painstakingly, without fail in giving us a recap within a few hours after transmission.Thks for sacrificing your time and sleep, which I know is very time-consuming.
Thks to all who have contributed their comments, views, and opinions, to let me understand and enjoy the drama better. Cos KDramas show many body languages and it is always nice to have different opinions and views for people like me who probably knew 10 korean words.

Lastly, let us meet in another LSW's drama soon.

Adding to the MY love. She really was the backbone of the show.

Enjoyed this drama even with times were it felt like it was dragging. I too am glad they didn't extend it.

Loved everything was nicely wrapped up.

Thanks to our star  @chasen8888 for your awesome reviews. Depended on reading them whilst lurking and waiting for subs or had no time to watch.

Great reading all your comments folks. TC

Archived