[Drama 2018] A Poem A Day / You Who Forgot Poetry, 시를 잊은 그대에게

0ly40

@yusefull Personally I don't think MH is nice to  want to hurt the person you like. I agree and you got me there. I mean, I have written alot how I was not a fan of him being with BY before due to his prior not so kind actions to BY more than a few times. But the more I am trying to think about it, has MH ever at times thought rationally? But who thinks rationally (all people---NO) when they are in love ? It doesn't mean their behavior is correct or fair or right. I am NOT advocating anyone HURTING the person they love if they cannot have them.

(Too many dramas showing the CRAZY when the other person is not liked back or want their ex to be with another person. )

MH might in his mind  rationally what he is doing is not right, even though he knows BY is getting what she wants--JW's love and having a relationship--he wants to be happy too. He is now invested in her and now he LIKES her, so his declaration to JW is not surprising. Selfish but not surprising. (He can be generous and nice but also has flashes of his selfishness we have seen in this drama.)  He doesn't want to give her up without a fight. Poor MH, he has no fighting chance.  Even when he thought he did before discovering the two hugging, that should have been proof enough.

He will have to learn, in the end it is BY's happiness and her choice. If he really thought her being nice to him was her showing she liked him ---that is not the case. But we have seen many a character like someone who they thought they had no chance with and/or liked someone else. Sometimes they do get together with that person and others times they don't. Since he is not the OTP, he is most likely not going to be successful in trying to win BY's affections. Granted getting the poetry book is EPIC. But her heart has been with JW even when she was sad after his rejection. Even when she thought he was not warm and mean to GM, she still liked him (though she admitted it was a big TURNOFF thinking JW was cruel to GM).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if dear Min Ho had the most growth etc , i don’t think it means he deserves the girl. This has to be said. BY is clearly in love with JW & vice versa. And it’s not like she chose someone worse than MH. I’m not surprised at his outburst in the preview, it is quite characteristic of his personality like what we saw from ep 1-8. (And let’s not forget he wasn’t going to take  his friends to the beach when they clearly needed a break , but changed his mind only when BY wanted to go.  )

This tweet describes why JW is a departure from the usual male leads we see in k drama . The viewer continues to write in separate tweets

Spoiler

With sub BY and JH together are even more amazing. They are so happy it's nice.

In this episode you see NW at the bottom get kicked in the nuts but at least I hope he understand that he must let go of the past like he must let go of his lost shirt. He must move one.

This episode is for MH about not having his way for once. If you think about it, he always got what he want. He didn't "loose" BY before but he push her away. There he did and must learn to accept it.

My problem is that I fear that they will try to say that he will act like a child then let go when he realised that he won't be with BY and tell us that he grow because of it. That wouldn't be growth.

The preview sub make MH so mutch worst. When he say he can't accept that JW is dating BY, like it's him who got to accept. Like she need is permission. The worst is when he say that she gave him hope for nothing. She never did, you did it on your one, it's in your mind.

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Even if dear Min Ho had the most growth etc , i don’t think it means he deserves the girl. This has to be said. BY is clearly in love with JW & vice versa.

Yep. At the end of the day, what matters is feelings. If that person have no feelings towards you, then it's THE END. Past is past. What matters is PRESENT.

The portrayal of MH's reaction is one wherein a kid lashes out due not getting what he wants at store--even if his mommy informed him that they wont be buying any toy for him. 

I agree with your comments here that he only became nice to BY because he likes her. I can honestly admit that while i did root for mean-male-leads-who-are-kind-to-heroine-once-he-has-fallen-for-her in the past, those times are long gone. Why would I root for them now when there are male leads like Dr. Ye? Who's surprisingly nice to the heroine BEFORE he actually fell for her. It sounds like a natural progression of relationship and that's why some folks find JW or thd relationship bland/boring. To me and pretty sure to every yeliner, its the sweetest, most natural and blissful state of things.

And those same folks who mock BY for her choice seems to be forgetting something. It is her choice and she is absolutely happy and in love with JW---not MH. No amount of, "but he was nice enough to her", "she made it seem like she still cares about him", and "he had so many grand gestures that couldve made anyone fall fof him". No, BY is a naturally caring person, who's honestly forgiving, and is not vindictive to those who've hurt her. She's willing to look past their meanness and see their goodness. But that doesnt mean that she'll automatically fall for anyone who has treated her kindly, even if thay person was someone she used to like. 

Giving JW a second chance was completely BY's choice. It was her giving in to her feelings for him. Sure she cried and declared that she'll move on. But no one can fault her for giving in because she still loves him, and this is despite of everything (his past, his rejection).

MH would just have to suck it by episode 14, so I really hope they dont drag his hurting scenes. We dont have enough episode as it is to wrap up all the characters side stories. 

Watch ep 14 preview with eng sub. Min Ho said "she made me have hope for nothing and made me into a fool".. BOYYYYY SHE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW YOU LIKE HER WHY YOU PUT THE BLAME ON HERRRRR.. IT'S ALL IN YOUR MINDDDDD.. IT'S NOT LIKE SHE CHEATED ON YOU OR SOMETHING AND YOU ALREADY KNOW SHE'S IN LOVE WITH DOCTOR YE.. IT'S YOU WHO GIVES YOURSELF HOPEEEEE..

BTW, I read somewhere and there's some people commented Dr. Ye is too boring because he is too good to be real for a male lead LOL.. When there's second lead who is a total sweetheart like Dr. Ye, isn't it your wish for the female lead to be with them?? :joy: The writer have fulfill your longtime wishes but in another drama and the second lead become the male lead. You're just having second lead syndrome, why blame my Dr. Ye :lol:

6 hours ago, yusefull said:

@jeijei @Nodame I don't think that hurting the person you like while she is happy is "all is fair in love".

So agree with this, i don't hate JDY but this minho character just no no for me, didn't he see BY looks so happy in JW arms, let them happy minho yaa

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

The Ye Line poem from episode 13

We Are - Lee Ji Hyun

You are Spring,
I am a flower.
That’s why,
A Spring flower happened to be just in front of your eyes.

I am Spring,
You are a flower.
Therefor,
Inside my eyes, there is only you.

We are a field of flowers,
We are Spring.

I actually, liked the way that this verse was recited, so that it's clear that it's being recited by a pair of lovers. :)  Plus, it was a beautiful scene of BY and JW walking amongst the cherry blossom petals.

Omg the meaning...a poem together :heart:

With the sub for epi 13  it is even more meaningful .i agree most of the comment here about Minho. He is just like a kid nowadays who think that the whole world owe them a chance and everything they want sure can get, if  not they will have their own excuses. Minho still didnt get what is the bitter in real life, given that NW is the best example beside him. NW spot on what is reality during  Min ho practice , not everything he wants will get so smoothly, it must have some obstacles. Even for the musical ,  NW also mentioned to Minho that might be BY wanted to watch with another person , but just nice that he called ( it is what really in this case) . It is Minho own assumption on BY kindness . He always thought BY still like him even first met in the hospital, he is like living in his own world , and putting his own value on others. As what you all have mentioned , he has to bite his own words.

As for JyJy & DB , it is true that as a co-medical staff,  you wont remember who is those patients but your kind act and when you serve the patient with your sincerity ,  the patient can feel it and they will appreciated. After all , when a patient is hospitalized , it is not just Doc and nurses around them. i can relate those feeling when a patient that you couldnt remember came and thank you , it is an encouragement for being a co-medical staff.

The actor for Chief Kim , his acting really excellent that  he moved me so much on his acting . JW &  BY they have the same value on treating patient, thats bring their relationship deeper .  @triplem that is why i thought Dr Ye is second lead as he appeared to be a nice person from the beginning even though he is cool. As a main lead to be nice to the heroin is not very common in Kdrama.

The song that BY listened in front of the hospital while waiting for JW is so touching .. seriously,  we don't know what will happen tomorrow and we only wish those patients who is suffering with illness now that tomorrow is a better day , what i can offer is a hug to them .

The story of Dr Park is so true for parenthood nowadays. Do we focus on academic ? or do we focus on moral n value . it is not easy to be a nice parents or a successful parents, this is first world problem for parents.

Epi 13 is not much of lovey dovey scene but its so much of life lesson .. but the rating seems not very promising .. is it team minho supporter give up on these drama?  

1 hour ago, ELlovelyz said:

Watch the ep 14 preview with eng sub. Min Ho said "she made me have hope for nothing and made me into a fool".. BOYYYYY SHE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW YOU LIKE HER WHY YOU PUT THE BLAME ON HERRRRR.. IT'S ALL IN YOUR MINDDDDD.. IT'S NOT LIKE SHE CHEATED ON YOU OR SOMETHING AND YOU ALREADY KNOW SHE'S IN LOVE WITH DOCTOR YE.. IT'S YOU WHO GIVES YOURSELF HOPEEEEE..

BTW, I read somewhere and there's some people commented Dr. Ye is too boring because he is too good to be real for a male lead LOL.. When there's second lead who is a total sweetheart like Dr. Ye, isn't it your wish for the female lead to be with them?? :joy: The writer have fulfill your longtime wishes but in another drama and the second lead become the male lead. You're just having second lead syndrome, why blame my Dr. Ye :lol:

Exactly ,  this was how BY been through when she confessed to MinHo, now he experienced the same way . And BY didnt even gives her any hope, she even said she loves Dr Ye.. it's  MinHo himself misunderstood on the kindness as a friend from BY .  If BY were to know about MinHo now ,  i think BY would advice MinHo well.

Dr Ye is boring? haha  this drama is too close to reality ,  isn't we also did the same while dating ?  yes Dr Ye is too good to be real but he has flaws as well ,  just when they put Dr Ye and Minho together , this obviously the winner is Dr Ye. i understand why team Minho felt heart breaking because JDY as Minho is too good to be hated .. he really have the good boy image ..

Yes, the preview reveals us that SMH still has a long way to go: NW kept warning him that life can be cruel and turn your world upside down but he didn't really listen to his advice. Besides, if he had paid attention to Chief Kim's case, he should have realized it. The doctor who was admired lost a lot of credibility among his patients, when he became himself a patient. I was really upset how some of them "kind of" resented Chief Kim for telling them to work hard and take good care of their health. If I had been one of his patients, I would have felt somehow guilty because I would have seen it as a sacrifice.

I think, SMH doesn't know how to put himself in somebody else's shoes. He looks at life and people only from his perspective. "She turned me into a fool" seems to indicate that his pride is hurt. Fate spared him because he didn't find the note... by discovering them together, SMH has the chance to see how happy BY is. To me, SMH needs to find his own path.

Dr. Ye and Woo are so much in tune therefore they deserve to be together. I liked the way they comfort and support each other. 

@stroppyse thank you again. You translate well. Please don't change your style. The song made my heart ache.

Your poetry translation was beautiful. The poem sounded perfect.

To be honest guys the VIU subber for ep 13 is or must be subbing fast. She is condensing stuff and missing whole phrases. I watched the subbed episode this morning and the raw last night. I tend to pay more attention when I watch the raw episodes.

I laugh at myself. Here I am listening to Korean poetry. And on the other hand I am reading through the Korean toddler books. Such a vast contrast. Coincidentally I was just handed a whole bagful of books for my kids.

Addit- Ye JW is not boring. He is the perfect supporting boyfriend. A place usually reserved for the 2nd lead. But somehow the 2nd lead here has ended up with the male lead personality traits. Ie impatience, bad timing, jealousy, insecurity, not many friends, estranged, childishness, not studious, rich family or misunderstood family etc.

@stroppyse Our rock star translator! Thanks alot as always.

Yesh after watching the full episode.

I had written something longer but my computer when going back to edit deleted 2 paragraphs. UGGGH.

I agree with @bebebisous33 OMG the way JW and BY support and encourage and understand each other. As Phoebe of the old American Show "Friends" said-they are each other's lobster. I LOVE their interactions. How he wants to console her/treat her well/ encourage her. Even before they dated as pointed out, he was that way. He was the atypical hero not a jerk to our heroine and I LOVED IT. Too many dramas to count have the hero/main lead as snotty/bratty/cold etc and not nice to the lead gal until they all of a sudden fall down the path of being in love then---they change their ways or attitude and treatment of the 'candy' heroine.

As pointed out, JW is atypical treating the heroine well even before falling in love with her and NOT being jerky to her. I liked that –protecting her from the insurance fraud patient, defending her to the doctor who was ticked she told the halmoni to get surgery to making sure her work load was balanced.

BY was not love at first sight with JW. She respected him and did not know much. Later when he was treating her well especially after the work load situation, she started to get moony over him. When she saw him after the company outing all cute and drunk confessing the YE LINE. Plus she was appreciative she was acknowledged for her work for the first time by a SUPERIOR. MC doted on her as the interns have noted, but SW abused his power over her to make her take extra shifts dangling he carrot to not lose her chance to be a FT person. Plus that person before being chosen has to get positive reviews I believe from other staff members. But MC did quietly tell JW that BY bedside manner /work was great/meticulous and hardworking. He saw first –hand how she did SW report and he put him on the spot and got BY to present.

@jellybing2009 Yes, MH only wanted to see what he wanted to see thinking BY was liking him again.

MH is still evolving how can he can compete with the established, able, skilled, hardworking, handsome JW.? Though he has so far, his comments in the preview disappointed me but did not surprise me. The fact he had to say that BY led him on?! Not like you didn’t know how our gal BY is when she is in love. The ship has sailed so many eons ago MH.NW though annoying was right to make sure he was prepared to get rejected just in case. MH doesn’t want to hear bad news but there was no guarantee that BY would say yes. (NM was right to be pessimistic.) To see it confirmed before his very eyes JW and BY in a warm and loving embrace def throwing cold water at him indeed. I did feel bad for him. But still he doesn’t deserve BY.

So I was right to see MC a bit more this episode about his back story---his son has good English and hard-working but got caught drinking as a minor at the pojangmacha where SW, YJ and MC were at—what luck.

What will they throw to us next?

@stroppyse Thank you for translating. Having read yours , I appreciate the poems better and the nuance in the lines.

If you are able , it would be much appreciated if you can translate this preview

zq8EG6s.jpg

Gonna watch the subbed episode in a bit. But truly appreciate reading everyone's thoughts. The way most of you described JW and BY's interactions last night, makes me happy. I have so many dramas to catch up on and new ones that debut last night, but my heart is right here ....

gLXGdji.png

Edit: love the sweet discreet smiles that JW had on his face when BY gave suggestions at the conference. He was so proud of her & supported her thoughts too . Omg his priceless expression at the part where he was eavesdropping on their restaurant suggestions. Help me , he’s too cute . I like how he tells her  , he  admires her as well. Perfect boyfriend!!! 

@stroppyse Is it common for them to address each other so formally now their dating? I think it’s quite romantic though. Kkkkkk

i can forsee coming episode will be more focus on MH that how he overcome his feeling towards BY. As chinese said "to solve the problem , got to look for the root caused" , i think its better for BY to make clear with him . The worst scenario is there might be something happen to his family that strike him and made him wake up and grow up . Last 2 episodes can be talking about NW, BY and other's carreer, still have 2 intern there..

I am seeing alot of people are saying that writers are ruining MH's character..but for me I don't see it cause he was like that from the beginning. He used BY to write reports for him,then when he came back again in her life he made fun of her.I cannot forget about the hen thing where he was at fault but he left BY alone to catch the hens.Telling that no men will love her,showing her pics to Jae wook.He changed his feelings towards her after he came to know that BY likes YJW before that he was a jerk.Now that he knows they started dating he is back to it again.

I hope he gets over it soon and this heartbreak will make him look into the world with a different view and maybe he will become mature.

6 hours ago, screwdila said:

I am seeing alot of people are saying that writers are ruining MH's character..but for me I don't see it cause he was like that from the beginning. He used BY to write reports for him,then when he came back again in her life he made fun of her.I cannot forget about the hen thing where he was at fault but he left BY alone to catch the hens.Telling that no men will love her,showing her pics to Jae wook.He changed his feelings towards her after he came to know that BY likes YJW before that he was a jerk.Now that he knows they started dating he is back to it again.

I hope he gets over it soon and this heartbreak will make him look into the world with a different view and maybe he will become mature.

I agree with you. He had these mean streak tendencies.  And it seems to have resurfaced in the preview.  He is like a child who got his toy taken away from him, but in the first place he threw that toy away. I am alright with all the jealous antics but my issue with him as per preview was that he blames BY for making him look like a fool, when  she is clueless that he even had these feelings. He reminds me of my boy when he throws a tantrum for not getting his way. Blames everyone but himself. The difference is my son is 7, and  has a lot growing up to do and will need nurturing on my part. MH is in his early 20s. He needs to buck up. I still hope for the writer to give him proper closure with regards to BY and also for him to sort out issues with his family. 

-------------------------------------

Eps 13 was sweet as expected. What I loved most was how in tune the two are with each other's feelings. This scene - where he just sat quietly next to her.

7UiyUtn.pngDx7nho2.png

BY said that him being there for her gives her strength. JW told her before he hugged her that being with her feels like rest to him. They are clearly meant for each other and this line sums it up perfectly. :wub:

HkBby8K.png

@stroppyse Thanks for explaining and for the preview. Somehow that formal way of addressing each other seems to be quite endearing. I like the way they gently and respectfully talk to each other. 

Archived