[Drama 2018] A Poem A Day / You Who Forgot Poetry, 시를 잊은 그대에게

0ly40

3 minutes ago, bella1025 said:

Thanks for the translations. :)

I can't believe MH would stoop that low and tell BY off for liking JW, and then bring up the rumors to pressure her. Man. I know he doesn't realize he's jealous.. but wow. *shaking my head*

It feel like a child that doesn't really like her but like the attention and since she doesn't give it anymore, he trow a tantrum.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, yusefull said:

It feel like a child that doesn't really like her but like the attention and since she doesn't give it anymore, he trow a tantrum.

Exactly. 

Manchild tantrum.

I think I realize why I can't root for MH--when, strangely enough, I used to root for male characters like him in past dramas. I think it's all due to having Dr. Ye as the rival. I mean, quirks and all, JW's character quickly overshadows MH's IMO. 

More of ep 6 

BY roomie Dr Kim YJ runs to Dr. Ye who is leaving at the same time with BY wanting to stop her from saying something to him. She basically was asked by BY who wanted to borrow some money (200,000 won about $188 USD) as she was heading home to see her family. Dr. Kim YJ was sharing that BY is a good frugal gal. She never buys new clothes, makeup (always just using samples) etc. BY is looking very embarrassed how Dr. Kim painting the poor picture. Next we see Dr. Ye taking some money out of the ATM and handing it to BY. He seems a bit put off that BY did not feel comfortable coming to him directly to borrow the money only just asking Dr. Kim YJ. BY is smiling realizing he wants to be "closer" and doesn't want that distance she is putting up. When they say their farwell, he gives his regards about buying stuff for his mom. She has major hearts staring at Dr. Ye's retreating figure to have MH and NW see her looking longingly at him. Then true to form our lovelyh klutzy BY falls into a wheel chair and is off rolling away.  Then MH remembers a memory of her watching him play soccer with hearts in her eyes.

MH memory continues I guess he made a goal. BY from afar yells loudly and happily and MH spots her. She gets a bit flustered. Stumbles and falls into the cart the gardener/groundskeeper and rolls down the way (luckily not to far and doesn't get injured) but very much embarrassed.  Back to present, BY is fine and talking to some patients and has the Wheelchair and out of it. MH (obvious he doesn't believe what he is saying) I am so relieved (thousand times) she is not into me anymore. (Yeah baby you are jealous but wish she were still into you. Thank god BY is not a glutton for punishment.)  MH says hey BY aren't you going home, come on! Then he gives her a ride only (hmm where is NW?) Somehow I catch they talk about food and eating. BY mentions I wonder how great tasty a hotel buffet is try. MH is like I will treat you then this weekend. BY beieves him and MH with his signature --it is a lie, why would I treat you to a hotel buffet. (Hotel buffets are VERY pricy so it is considered a treat to be able to go to one.) Then he is like have your fave Dr. Ye treat you to a hotel buffet. Better yet you treat him as you like him.

The Chairman (I think is talking to Dr Yang) and not happy with Dr. Ye. Something of asking for a favor to help VIP and both are chatting that yeah Dr Ye is annoying and Dr Ye is an advice machine. (Not sure of the rest and at the end Dr. Yang does a weird dance LOL with the chairman seeing it from afar.) Something along the lines about his principles and advice and not wanting to do special favors etc. 

6 minutes ago, bella1025 said:

Exactly. 

Manchild tantrum.

I think I realize why I can't root for MH--when, strangely enough, I used to root for male characters like him in past dramas. I think it's all due to having Dr. Ye as the rival. I mean, quirks and all, JW's character quickly overshadows MH's IMO. 

Me I was rooting for one character and didn't want the other to suffer (exept if it's a murderer or something like that) but I never take pleasure in seeing the guy I didn't ship suffer but there I am more than okay with it.

ep 6

MH family are together for a lovely dinner. MH is happy until his parents say his HYUNG got some special congratulatory meal for him. He is sad to hear that it is for his hyung. Some honor and being a professor possibility in USA? Then the parents are wondering why he is  sighing. Mom digs into why he moved into the Hospital dorm. They thing he is going to party alot and not be hardworking. He is like I am going to go there for that move as I wanted to be more serious and hardworking.  Then they are praising the elder brother and then dad dictates when you graduate you are working at my hospital. Then MH is like why should? Is this really my family for real? His mom is like what is up with  you? Why are you like this? MH I am going to head out.

(As we are learning it is always about his HYUNG and not about him -he is never acknowledged or remembered. No wonder he has inferiority complex.)

BY is with her mom is upset for her mom and thinking it is unfair. I think complaining to her oppa. She is saying I think he is still my precious son. Please eat. (I think that is it?)

Back to MH driving and deep in thought, back to a memory seeing his brother being coddled and praised (graduation) for MH but his family servant?) talking and consoling a sad MH who is ignored. Then Dad is with cronies, MH comes over and says hi. When he is walking upstairs, their friends ask about MH. He is like I don't know where he is going. He doesn't have mine or my wife's brains in reference to MH. 

ep 6 more

Dr. Han JY is having drinks with Dr Kim DB. He is sad about his dad and not appreciating him (i think) and not realizing his dad was trying to be there and console him? Then Dr Kim DB says if you feel that way then contact him. He does his usual (call or don't call a few times). (Defcom is SOOOOO funny as Dr Kim DB). Then Dr. Han realizes he forgot his cell and goes back and finds it. Sees the FB post his dad has about him and his dad pic ---- I am with my precious son.  Then JY on the way out sees the Dr (dept head?) who asked for help only with Dr Kim struggling with the machinery (it is in English). So when he goes to get coffee. JY (wow so unselfish and sweet) made signs out of post its to know the functions of the buttons) and then a text to let him know.

MH is in a park? and the lovely poem about "family" It is nice. Shows scenes of BY her family with her mom holding her brother's arm and then she runs to join them and MH alone. Seems like a sweet poem but My Korean is not good enough to translate it.

Sees the FB post Dr Han JY his dad has about him and his dad pic ---- I am with my precious son. Then JY wrotes Dad I love you. BY sees MH in the convenience store alone and is wondering as she walks by with her brother and mom. She stops causing her mom to ask in curiousity--what?

ep 6 more 

BY is listening to MH complain about his family and how his hyung is always coddled and praised. Bless her big heart she is teary and of course MH is like why you are you like that? She said you must have been sad and upset. He blows it off ---nah I wasn't. (Love her soft heart.) BY sees how not being acknowledged and ignored has paid a toll on MH. Towards my parents MH says I have alot of things to say I am sad and upset over. Then MH stomach growls loudly. Are you hungry asked by BY ? Yup I left the nice hotel meal without a bite and something about the cup ramen at the convenience store he was having when BY saw him he threw it away. BY is like why did you throw it away then if you were hungry. MH is like well actually I wasn't that into it anyways.  When your thoughts of hotel buffet how can you get into eating cup ramen. (True those are two opposite spectrums of food. I would be too.)  BY mentions grabbing something but MH is like at this HOUR there is nothing open! BY Of course there is a place you can have a buffet open at this time. MH is shocked at the choices and exclaims it is a real buffet!  BY (sweet gal she is) Eat to your hearts content as tt is my treat as it is your bday. It is not a hotel buffet but it will do. MH is like WOW! He has a big FOOD spread on a picnic table. As MH wonders where BY is , she walks over to him holding something. (OMG) BY comes over to him with a cobbled bday "cake" made with waffles and with tons of candles atop singing "happy bday happy bday" then she is like Hurry blow out the candles. Next while looking at BY, he recalls once whe woke up to an empty house and walks out of his bedroom asking for his mom to give him bday seaweed soup. But then he goes to the table (after getting no response). There is a credit card and post it. His folks left for LA for a week and MH is upset. He is to use the card. He throws them down at the table in a huff. Then next he is sitting outside playing a game on his cell phone and BY is singing Happy Bday and carrying a bday cake walking towards him wearing silly bday glasses.

Final clip of this episode :

(Thanks for humoring me as my Korean is not that strong. It was a fun challenge I really should go to work, luckily it is my early lunch hour as I was so hungry. Enjoy fans!) I had some time to do it but I don't know how other soompi stalwarts and awesome contributors can do this often. You guys rock! Being able to lurk and get my quota of feels and translated, clips , BTS and news goodies keeps me sane. This drama needs more love.) 

Finishes BY in the memory handing the cake to MH, then dazed he is out of his reverie as BY is like hurry blow out the candles as he is brought to present. He blows it and pours water. BY is like--what is this? This is a mess! Then MH is in the bathroom washing his hands talking to himself. After graduation, it is such a relief (thousand times) she is not into me. Then close up of memories MH has of BY washing his car and scurrying away when discovered, holding a HUGE piece of kimbap she made for him ,  (he looks at her sweet expression looking at home holding it). MH recalls that look and then talks to his reflection in the mirror of course she treats me well  and I am glad she does treat me well. Of course I would like being treated well . Such a relieve, I am relieved that she doesn't like me. (But he has lost huff and I think realizing he is liking her and jealous of Dr. Ye) Flash to BY carrying the cake and then BY carrying the plate of waffles looking sweet. MH is deep in thought and looks touched/lost . Half heartedly he says, yes really it is a relief then slowly draws out "that she doesn't like me." MH comes out of the restroom to overhear BY saying "Yes, Dr. Ye who is asking of she is awake and for her to send him the file on the athlete. She is totally smiley and happy to get his call. Ok, I will send it to you as soon as possible. it is a rush and urgent. No problem, it is urgent and ok to contact me about it. MH is like---yup she it likes she likes him. (But he is not looking too happy while watching her all giddy over Dr. Ye) Then uncertainly he asks outloud--is it really a relief she doesn't like me?!

Ep 7 preview

MH is definitely showing his JEALOUSY in full force. He is not happy and says I cannot continue recording as he sees the hearts shooting out of BY eyes as Dr. Ye is doing some demo.  Seems MH tries to embarrass BY infront of Dr Ye sending him some photo of BY. MH says you didn't know that BY is great with body gags. Dr. Ye smiles . You are very cute. When I am sad/during sad times I can look at this photo and smile. BY looks cute and pleased at his reaction. (MH looks frustrated that his attempt to make BY look bad backfire.) Also he is jealous seeing her in a pretty dress and walking closely to Dr. Ye and both look cozy as he is walking behind them. VO he is like---are they dating?!

@Nodame thank you so much for taking time translating...i was watching the clips and hoping someone can translate it..youre heaven sent!:)

With the episode last night some people are thinking min ho is the lead ...i think it.is still jae wook they still have to show how he will handle bo youngs love for him,whether he will accept it or not. Ye line still lives!!!:D

I just watched it with the sub and I don't know if they failed MH character or they did it on purpose ?

The fact that he keep saying that he is happy she doesn't like it anymore with being less and less convincing all the time until at the end when it's a question could have been something powerfull but I felt nothing.

If you add the way he act in the preview. He is a kid who lost a "toy" because he didn't care about it and now that somebody "has" it, he want it back.

I agree. MinHo is a clown. But don't knock him out of the contest. :) He's the one BoYoung likes. 

People say that Dr. Ye scored big when BoYoung gave him the book. It was her love declaration.  But I say, yes and no.

To me, there are (at least) two ways to interpret this poem.

One: That she's admitting to having an unrequited love for him. For sure, the book can be taken to mean she's confessing HER feelings for Dr. Ye and that she has decided to love him despite his declaration that he isn't interested in dating a coworker. The book's title is her HER MESSAGE of love for him.

Here's their dialogue:

Ye: What's the matter?
BY: Doctor, this is a book of poetry.
Ye: Why are you giving this to me?
BY: I thought you'd enjoy it too. Why? Do you find it burdensome?
Ye: No, I just didn't expect this. I thought you were disappointed in me for some reason.  It seemed like you were avoiding eye contact with me so I was worried.

** To me, "disappointed" is a weird feeling to express. I believe it's because he sensed that what he had said at the Dr. Park's party might have dashed her hopes and disappointed her. He said, "I have no interested in dating anyone in the medical field. And if they work at the same hospital, I'm really not interested." 

BY: Pardon?

**Notice too that she often says, "Pardon?" when she's with him. This indicates that she doesn't grasp what he's trying to say, or is often surprised by what he says. She can't read his mind.

Ye: I'm not the type to worry about others but I was worried about you. It seems like I trust and rely on you quite a lot.
BY: I see. I wasn't disappointed in you. I just didn't have the confidence to face you. But I won't act like that anymore. I'll get going then.
Ye: (smiles at he reads the title, "It's Okay If You Don't Love Me.")

But there's another way to interpret this poetry.

Two: That she meant the poem as a friendly encouragement that HE too can survive his hardship and endure the heartbreak. In this sense, the poetry isn't a confession of unrequited love, but a message of healing and inspiration. 

It's Okay If You Don't Love Me
by Lee Jung Ha

It's okay if you don't acknowledge me.
A new leaf will sprout, even under the cold rain.
And the stars will come out, even if clouds cover it.
It's okay if you don't offer me a hand.
I blazed up like a dry leaf
As someone who couldn't say a word
I'm okay with being in one-sided love.
And then becoming love myself.
My love,
It's okay if you don't love me.

To me, the literal understanding of the poem is the acceptance of a one-sided love. But the DEEPER MEANING here is the choice to love for love's sake. The poem is telling us to stop asking for love or looking for love in returnWhat's essential is to continue to love and be a loving person. Just like a plant still grows despite the rain and a star still shines despite the clouds, we must still love despite the rejection. In fact, in continuing to love, even when it seems hopeless, we're transformed into WHO we are meant to be: truly human.

Like the guy in the hospital. It was okay if his girlfriend rejected him because he'd continue loving her. It was his steadfast love that finally made her realize that "in sickness and in health" are part of the human condition.

Similarly, BoYoung's words, "That's right. I should be happy that he trusts and relies on me," can be understood in two ways.

PGZloev.jpg

a. she's consoling herself that, although she's in a one-sided love, he trusts and relies on her. This is the common understanding.

OR

b. she's grateful to be THERE FOR HIM, serving as a trustworthy and reliable person in his time of need. He may be enduring ostracism from his colleagues and heartache from his former flame, but she's there to encourage him. This, to me, is the deeper context and it ties in beautifully with his praise for her innate goodness in the previous episode.

NbbPuRQ.jpg

He had said, "I already saw a lot of your good side. As I already said, there's no Ye Line, but if really looked after you like everyone said I did, then this is probably why (because he's seen her in action, doing good for others.)" 

To me, that whole scene - beginning with the paraplegic's fiance's gratitude and ending with gift to Dr. Ye - can be seen as one story arc showcasing BoYoung's caring instincts, rather than her romantic side.

She feels pity for Dr. Ye after she's learned from the two interns that he had a PAINFUL incident in his last hospital involving both his colleagues and his girlfriend. As a matter of fact that is WHAT she was talking about in the elevator. Feeling sorry. 

83rm9Td.jpg

But WHO you think she was talking about when she made that comment? Who was she referring to when she said "Wait, who am I feeling sorry for right now?" That was out-of-the-blue.

Hint: It's not Dr. Ye. :D:D

source:  http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/04/10/poem-a-day-the-minho-clown-car/

@Nodame Thank you so much for the translation!!! You're simply awesome. 

Tagging @nearsea, @lavender2love (are you okay?) @USAFarmgirl (are you still watching this), @triplem

Awww blushing your welcome. I have only 13 years of Korean drama experience and some language exchange experiences with Korean with friends. So that is why I get some stuff and don't get other stuff. Glad I was able to help. Luckily that day I had good free time during lunch. Tax deadline here is next week and I cannot wait til it comes.

Your welcome @bella1025  @packmule3 @sophielleann

@packmule3 Such a beautiful analysis and btw great to see others I recognize in here. The last few months I have been lurking. I loved how you gave a great interpretation how it could be considered a love confession but true to BY it could be one of encouragement and healing. So articulate and thoughtful. (BTW I love your blog! Now I know to check it out from time to time. This unmarried ajumma loves it.)

@sophielleann I could try but I am not sure which BTS you are referring to? 

This translating is tough work. Glad you don't mind that I can get the jist of it and not all the details. When I finally watched the subbed version, I was happy overall I got the jist of the scenes.  Assah! 

@packmule3

Great analysis and I would have to agree that BY does feel sorry for both JW and MH. 

I would have to say though that BY has always been the one to wear her heart on her sleeve, so she's easily affected by the misfortunes of others IMO. She tends to be more emotionally involved especially if it's someone she likes, so I wouldn't just call her feelings towards JW as mere pity.  The poem and her statement that she's ok with being someone whom JW relies on isn't a testament that she's giving up on him because she doesn't have strong feelings for him.  I think it showcases her growth as a person because she isn't one to impress her feelings especially if she believes the other person to be still in pain--hence why she still seems to be wary of how her actions will be interpreted by JW and if it'll burden him. 

I don't think JW even understands why BY would be disappointed in him. And I honestly don't believe that it's just due to him seemingly dashing her hopes back in the party. We haven't really seen or heard his thoughts regarding BY, and only ever seen his reactions, so I'd reserve judgement on that scene. He does know though that she looks up to him, but I don't think he fully knows the extent of her growing feelings. Note though that he doesn't even understand why he's constantly "worried" about her, especially when she's no longer paying him any attention. He worries that he might have disappointed her, isn't really sure why, but he does. That's my take on that scene. I think to some extent, BY does occupy his thoughts---and that to me is very encouraging of what he feels for her. JW is often reserved (not even aware that he tends to annoy the other staff lol), often stingy, about his thoughts and feelings yet he makes it known to BY. This is why I wouldn't be discounting his feelings yet. As far as BY's romantic feelings towards JW, I think the next episode preview is a testament that she isn't over him. :D

The paraplegic love story, in my opinion, does mirror what might eventually happen in the future. BY would have to abandon her reservations and her fear of burdening JW of her feelings before anything positive can really happen between them. I honestly don't know who will confess first since it's too early so we'll just have to wait if BY will pluck up the courage to confess to him (like she did with MH in the past) or if it'll be down on JW. 

I have a slightly different way of interpreting the poem "It's ok if you don't love me" though. I think it's about loving a person from a far (and I guess through actions) without really hoping for anything in return. It does coincide with BY's feelings at the moment. She initially went out of her way to distance herself away from JW knowing about his backstory, but upon realizing that he worries and doesn't want her to be that way, she went back to expressing her feelings minus the incessant anxiety over his feelings (because she knows that he doesn't feel negative about her attention at all) and worry if he'll reciprocate it at all. She decided to just keep giving, without asking or demanding for anything in return, because isn't that what true love is?

MH is still a very selfish character. However heartbreaking his backstory is, his actions of constantly wanting to put BY in her place just aggravates me. He even childishly went ahead and used the gossip that he learned about JW in order to warn BY about him. When truthfully, he just doesn't want her to feel anything for anyone besides himself. We all know he feels something for her now, but I've yet to see any evidence that he felt anything romantic for her in the past. He might have just seen her as a friend whom he can use and was probably solicitous towards her (hence why she fell for him in the first place), but he'd viewed her as creepy and stalkerish when she started showing her affection. He's now bothered that she's showing this side to JW (and that JW doesn't seem to mind), because ironically, he seems to want to be the only one she'll fawn over despite stating otherwise.  If we take him at his own words, he warns BY against liking him, then warns her about liking JW. True love isn't selfish, as MH will eventually learn when he sees the extent of BY's feelings for JW---what he was so quick to brush off and brand as weird.

To answer the question on whom she felt sorry for, I don't think it's really "who" that we have to address. It felt like a rhetorical question from my POV. After drinking with the trio and having a hangover, I think she was still feeling miserable after that drunk-induced confession. But then she rides the elevator with JW and start feeling bad for what he went through. She cuts herself off from her line of thoughts about him (noticed that it's a continuation of her conversation with Dr. Kim) and said "Who do I feel sorry for right now" and then followed it up with "It's not right to like him, I should control my feelings". I believe her question was merely her trying to reprimand herself for feeling anything for him when JW seemingly made it clear that he wont date anyone from the same hospital. And we can see that she has decided to ignore him in the next scenes. 

I have read your blog entry and I would have to respectfully disagree with your views on BY still having feelings for MH just because she chooses to hang out with him. She doesn't invite herself to hang out with him because she's not yet over him, IMO. I think it's because she's comfortable around him as she is comfortable around NW.

I also don't think that her using "Pardon" with JW has any deeper meaning other than wanting to clarify what he means, because she doesn't want to mistake herself again--like when she made an error regarding MH's attention towards her in the past. Notice how when they talked about her poems, and JW said that he enjoyed them, she asked "Pardon?". This is because she misunderstood the situation. She initially thought that he was either creeped out or mad that she drunk-text him with poems--hence that non-reply. She obviously can't read his mind because she has only known him briefly, and he tends to keep his feelings close to his heart. 

BY: Oh., you didn't ignore my text on purpose? You felt happy after reading my poetry? *smiling all the while saying this*

She doesn't feel the need to say this expression to much around the others, especially with NW and MH because she has known them for quite a while. And you've had friends for that long, most of the things they say won't really surprise you. Take her knowing how NW will often bring up his 10-yr richboy memories, or when MH would dredge up the past telling her to not like him. She knows their character is comfortable enough with them. When this started, I think she wasn't really over MH since she was still worrying over the fact that they'd be working together. But when she shook her hand and basically ask that they be comfortable around each other, I think that was her already moving on. 

@packmule3 wow what a post! Damn, do you really think Min Ho has a chance?  I didn't know this drama would create so much confusion regarding the lover camp lol. I'm enjoying your analyses though, so no complain reading all the scrumptious findings haha.

I'm still scratching my head over the lovelines but after watching the recent episodes my feeling is, we saw a little too many times how Min Ho is giving himself lame excuses about why it's okay that Bo Young doesn't love him anymore. Is he the classic second lead Jung Hwan  style? :D Or is he the star that  arrives late? :lol: In any case don't you think Dr. Ye is way too perfect? I feel like he appears a bit too stoic at times. By this time I'm bordering on the superficial zone so don't mind me. :D

After catching up on the latest episodes I realize how much I'm loving all the characters. While it was Defcon's character who brought out my violent persona next it was his minion who made my blood boil with his slacking tendencies. :D And then the doctor who's always like ' when you do it , romance.  When I do it, adultery. Haha. '. And the other friend who's always reciting his poor rich family saga. Anyway I'm interested to see where this will go after Min Ho realizes that he actually likes Bo Young. Ciao until next time. -_-

Archived