[Drama 2018] A Poem A Day / You Who Forgot Poetry, 시를 잊은 그대에게

0ly40

Hmm.. i feel this drama is quite ok... i enjoyed the poems and the depiction of the work of co-medical staff is quite an interesting view aside from the usual ‘doctors’ we get in dramas. Defconn’s character is abit similar to him in 1N2D, so it doesnt feel awkward at all, but rather quite funny. His extreme indecisiveness and overly concerned personality is hilarious and yet quite relatable. There are times when i myself couldnt make a decision over what to eat.. haha. Not as extreme as what is shown in the drama of course, but still, indecisiveness is pretty common and relatable to some extent. 

The drama is not earth-shatteringly different, nor does it provide any special thrill or mystery, but more like a soft breeze, simple, easy, pleasing, refreshing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched it since I wanted to waste time. When I read the synopsis, I was actually quite intrigued since it was a bit different and explored a certain field that the dramaland hasn't explored yet, little did I know it would actually aim to be a comical one. I didn't really expect much but it is a good drama to pass some time, it doesn't really require deep emotions and doesn't need you to engage in it 100% though I found myself fast forwarding most of the time and found it awkward through the first 2 episodes why things happened and why I should care (the awkwardness between the two leads) since not much of their background was introduced and it lead to me being confused and disconnected. It is a fun workplace though and its plot might pick up soon, really hope that it picks up its own pace since I knew both male leads and I know that they can give more other than being a loser who whines about things for whatever reason (honestly, give me some background story for the leads, doesn't really help in the character development area). Overall if you have some free time and wants to kill it, watch this drama but if you're looking for something to invest emotions and expects a well-rounded story, this is not for you. (But honestly, don't judge a drama by its first two episodes, some pick up their themselves at around episode 4 or 5, so I'm still watching this next week hahaha)

I have a bad feeling that Min Ho and Bo Young aren't the main ship and Shows playing with my feelings like Reply 1988 by focusing on all the teasers with those two. I know it's still early stages but I just not feeling Bo Young with Dr Ye. He definitely would make a good mentor and I really hope that is the case. I mean I love Jang Dong Yoon too much and he seriously deserves to get the girl this time round. LOL. 

4 hours ago, Mindy said:

have a bad feeling that Min Ho and Bo Young aren't the main ship and Shows playing with my feelings like Reply 1988 by focusing on all the teasers with those two. I know it's still early stages but I just not feeling Bo Young with Dr Ye. He definitely would make a good mentor and I really hope that is the case. I mean I love Jang Dong Yoon too much and he seriously deserves to get the girl this time round. LOL. 

In school 2017 he got the girl, it just wasn't a triangle (and that's was great). In solomon's perjury, it was more a question of parent/child for him than anything.

The thing is that in the teaser, they show us what they got and since in the first two episodes you got nearly no JW, it must have been hard to show us that mutch of them I think.0

As for the reply 88, I didn't watch it live but 2 years later so I don't know of the teaser were and if they focused that mutch on DS and JH.

10 hours ago, yusefull said:

In school 2017 he got the girl, it just wasn't a triangle (and that's was great). In solomon's perjury, it was more a question of parent/child for him than anything.

The thing is that in the teaser, they show us what they got and since in the first two episodes you got nearly no JW, it must have been hard to show us that mutch of them I think.0

As for the reply 88, I didn't watch it live but 2 years later so I don't know of the teaser were and if they focused that mutch on DS and JH.

Tbh I didn't want School 2017 but I kept seeing Kim Jung Hyun and Kim Se Jeong together so I assumed he didn't end up with her, but if he got another girl then that's great. And I was kind of thinking more of If We Were A Season, because that ending killed me, even though it was kind of open ended but not.

I can't really remember but I think the drama overall lead me to that think that Jung Hwan and Deok Sun were going to be together so it shattered my heart into pieces.

And I just don't want this drama to fall into the typical drama tropes of a love triangle. But hey shall see...

18 minutes ago, Mindy said:

Tbh I didn't want School 2017 but I kept seeing Kim Jung Hyun and Kim Se Jeong together so I assumed he didn't end up with her, but if he got another girl then that's great. And I was kind of thinking more of If We Were A Season, because that ending killed me, even though it was kind of open ended but not.

I can't really remember but I think the drama overall lead me to that think that Jung Hwan and Deok Sun were going to be together so it shattered my heart into pieces.

And I just don't want this drama to fall into the typical drama tropes of a love triangle. But hey shall see...

You should watch school 2017, it was amazing and about his character,

Spoiler

he is with a girl at the begining, broke up in the middle then they talk about thing and are honest with each other and themsleves then got back together.

For 88, I never understood people who thing those two would end up together. We know he like her but it never is show she like him. With taek, we have many clue that she like him.

I don't like triangle but what I feel strange is that I don't see romance drama write anywhere. But if there is romance, I want her to end up with JW personally.

After watching the first 2 episodes, I'll be honest, I'm disappointed.  I would have thought  that poetry + patients, + unsung heroes in the hospital. I thought it would be  slice of life, heartwarming healing kind of drama . How their profession they've chosen have an impact to their day to day . At least want to see something cohesive, well written drama, giving and showing importance to  others medical staff who are always behind the scenes. I prefer medical drama to be not something funny. Though I like a quirky well done ones like RDTK.

Also You have good actors in these drama. Like I said i'f you've seen Jang Dong Yoon in Solomons Perjury  terrific acting there. Lee Joon Hyuk in  Secret Forest Lee Yoo Bi in Pincchio, Shin Jae Ha in Page Turner, they have that acting skills. I want to see them not being funny. Or trying to.  I don't know. An actor should be able to   do well no matter what genre but, these are actors suited well for dramatic roles where you  can see their emotions.  Having said all that. I like  LYB here. She's good.

7 hours ago, yusefull said:

For 88, I never understood people who thing those two would end up together. We know he like her but it never is show she like him. With taek, we have many clue that she like him.

Um...she had like an entire crush on Jung Hwan but then thought her feelings were a mistake, which was also when Jung Hwan found out that Taek liked her too and he did the whole noble idiot thing. I'm pretty sure the drama highlighted that Deok Sun liked both of the boys hence why people had hope for each of them to be the potential husband.

But anyway, back on topic.

We haven't seen much scenes with Dr Ye so I still need time to warm up to him. But he seems quite cold. I think it's too late for me now though, I'm already rooting for Min Ho's character development. Jang Dong Yoon just makes characters so lovable. 

44 minutes ago, Mindy said:

Um...she had like an entire crush on Jung Hwan but then thought her feelings were a mistake, which was also when Jung Hwan found out that Taek liked her too and he did the whole noble idiot thing. I'm pretty sure the drama highlighted that Deok Sun liked both of the boys hence why people had hope for each of them to be the potential husband.

But anyway, back on topic.

We haven't seen much scenes with Dr Ye so I still need time to warm up to him. But he seems quite cold. I think it's too late for me now though, I'm already rooting for Min Ho's character development. Jang Dong Yoon just makes characters so lovable. 

She first got a big crush on Sun-woo because her friend tell her he like her then she got a little on Jung-hwan for the same reason but she didn't even cry for him. He never did the noble idiot thing, it's taek that did in episode 16 when he realise he like her. Since episode 1, Jung-hwan is mean to her, calling her ugly, thinking that at some point she will realise that he like her and will come to him unlike Taek who was just nice and even told her she is pretty.

The worst is that in episode 18 when he say that Taek "won" because he act unlike him. Like what she feel didn't matter.

You are sure that was always Taek since episode 14 when Dong-ryong tell her that instead of having someone who like her (SW and JH), she can like someone herself (the only one she is sure she prefer is Taek).

In this drama I prefer JW (Jae-Wook same initial as Jung-Hwan) because I prefer introverted character (Taek, Se-hee in because it's my first life, ...) but are honest/blunt and always there when you need them (not sure about the last part yet). I personally don't think that MH "need' her as mutch as JW too.

(It just realise that as a man that like girls, telling witch guy I prefer feel kind of weird).

I think he seem more broken than cold. Like hurt before. For now, MH is just the character that couldn't become a doctor like his family unlike JW who seem more complex for me.

17 hours ago, yusefull said:

She first got a big crush on Sun-woo because her friend tell her he like her then she got a little on Jung-hwan for the same reason but she didn't even cry for him. He never did the noble idiot thing, it's taek that did in episode 16 when he realise he like her. Since episode 1, Jung-hwan is mean to her, calling her ugly, thinking that at some point she will realise that he like her and will come to him unlike Taek who was just nice and even told her she is pretty.

The worst is that in episode 18 when he say that Taek "won" because he act unlike him. Like what she feel didn't matter.

You are sure that was always Taek since episode 14 when Dong-ryong tell her that instead of having someone who like her (SW and JH), she can like someone herself (the only one she is sure she prefer is Taek).

In this drama I prefer JW (Jae-Wook same initial as Jung-Hwan) because I prefer introverted character (Taek, Se-hee in because it's my first life, ...) but are honest/blunt and always there when you need them (not sure about the last part yet). I personally don't think that MH "need' her as mutch as JW too.

(It just realise that as a man that like girls, telling witch guy I prefer feel kind of weird).

I think he seem more broken than cold. Like hurt before. For now, MH is just the character that couldn't become a doctor like his family unlike JW who seem more complex for me.

Hi @yusefull and @Mindy thanks for sharing your comments on Re 88.  Didn't watch that drama (maybe now I will to catch up) and Sc 2017.  So, I'm kind of going into this drama without any background on the actor playing Min Ho.  I tend to agree with @yusefull on the character of JW.  Even though he is coming off as cold and arrogant there is a deep wound.  Perhaps he, like LYB's character needs to recover his self confidence...(seems something happened to drive him to the "small" hospital)  Both JW and LYB are wounded and needing to regain self confidence/power back into their lives.  I think they will be able to do that for each other.  She will be supportive in the right way (soft, sincere, kind, sensitive) and he with appreciation for her sensitive side, her caring and validation of her work.  I see a purpose to their relationship whether romantic (I hope) or as a mentor (OK too).  However, I don't YET see a fit with Min Ho.  For me, like @yusefull said, "he doesn't need her."  I just can't get past an adult man laying on the floor throwing a tantrum because he wants his parents to open a cafe for him.  I guess I could feel some sympathy for him bc he is being pushed to do something he doesn't want to do by his parents....perhaps like college and other situations in this characters life, the cafe is just a "fad" and wont be taken seriously either reason why parents are pushing him to at least have some skills to support him which seems reasonable. What also bothers me regarding MH is that he ridiculed her true love "Poetry"  his disdain at her sensitivity etc.  Where as JW is intrigued by what means everything to her...remember, she gave up the opportunity to study Literature/Poetry to earn money for her family.  Hey, I could be all wrong about this and MH has a tremendous turn around and they fit together like two sides of a coin and that would be fine too. :) and this drama could go completely off the rails and she ends up with no one...or who knows?  I am willing to give it a chance, yet if it gets boring or changes don't start happening I would drop it and watch something else...but for now...I'm willing to see what happens

Hi guys!im quite into BYand JW, i think i like that JW sees the effort and hard work of BY while all people around her look down on her or doesnt take her seriously...MH needs to grow first his immaturity is funny but i think he cant be in a relationship if he only love himself

I was looking for a slow-paced kdrama with a slice-of-life theme and I think I found it in “Poem a Day.” It reminded me of the Reply series. 

Who wants to join me here? @onlysb1 @nearsea @phikyl  I see that @USAFarmgirl and @stroppyse are already here. Do you watch all the dramas??!! :D

I'm blogging this, too so l'll only post an except here. With the three picture limitation on soompi, it's tedious to transfer everything here only to put them in spoilers. 

To be honest, the literary title almost scared me away but the poetic execution of the words into actions convinced me to stay. I always like it when the director exerts effort to match the cinematography with the writer’s script.

Take for example the ending scene of Episode 1.

The lead character, a depressed BoYoung was sitting on a bench along a path near her hospital and reading a bunch of letters from her former patients. They were letters of gratitude for her “friendly” service. In one of them, the patient wrote back the poem BY once read to her for comfort.

Pain and Sadness Can Also Become a Path
by Lee Chul Hwan

I realized this after a long time of pain
That pain can also become a path.

BrJqAPH.jpg?ssl=1

There is no life where no wind blows.
The wind must blow, so that the tree will root deep inside the earth
So that it won’t fall over. 
That is why the wind shakes the trees
That is why the wind shakes all of us
Pain can also become a path.
Sadness can also become a path.

After reading it, BoYoung realized that she too was consoled by the same words she had given to her patients; it was like her poem had come full circle, and returned to the "owner."

Then, as she stood up to walk home, a letter fell from her pile. A man picked it up and called after her. But she didn’t hear him and she receded into the night.

v6zvR7e.jpg?ssl=1

To me, the poem was foreshadowing her new beginning. Her pain and sadness just paved the path. And do you see the stoned path through the trees? That was so literal. lol. 

I liked how the visuals of this scene matched the poem itself.

viFauhm.jpg

I searched for moments like this when the director surprises me with the aesthetics to fit the language and emotion of the script. Here, the ending of Episode 1 worked for me and it reeled me in to continue with Episode 2.

But what I really enjoyed so far in this drama was the apple story in Episode 2. Of course, there were a few comedic moments that kept me interested. Like, DefCon portraying an indecisive doctor. lol.

This is an inside joke, you know. DefCon is a member of the variety show 2Days, 1Night. I used to be a regular follow of this show (never watched Infinite Challenge). In 2D1N, he’s known as a worrywart. He earned the moniker “anxious pig” because he always worries about little inconsequential things, like winning the games, the reactions of their audience, his reputation, etc.

This kdrama is parodying his character in 2D1N because his extreme anxiety to make the right decision causes him to be infuriatingly indecisive. Call it paralysis by analysis.

The other characters are just as quirky. But the apple story is the pièce de résistance for me.

BoYoung and her arch-nemesis/ex-crush/subordinate Min-Ho were asked by a patient to peel a bag of apples as a favor. His tired wife was still sleeping and he didn't want to wake her up. For a variety of reasons which I won’t explain, BoYoung found the request “burdensome” and she passed the job on to MinHo, who also didn’t want to do it. He mangled the task and the patient asked him to please slice the apples prettily.

Their patient died the following day.

At the funeral, the wife expressed her deep gratitude for the peeled apples. It had been her birthday that day and apples were her favorite. But since she couldn’t slice them, and neither could her sick husband, the husband requested BoYoung to do it. The wife was thankful that BoYoung didn’t reject the request despite her busy schedule and had delegated the job to MinHo.  It had given her husband great pleasure to see her eat those apples, and that happy moment had been his last.

Naturally, the two were guilt-ridden.

What I also liked about this scene was the play on words. The Korean word for apple is sagwa, and sagwa is the homonym of the Korean word for sorry. Thus, apple = sorry, apology, regret.

Did you see the significance?

The patient was SORRY for the trouble he was causing to the therapists because of the APPLES. But he had no recourse but to bother them because he wanted to gift his wife with her favorite apples.

After his death, both BoYoung and MinHo were also SORRY that they felt encumbered by the patient’s small but (as it turned out) LAST request.  The apples, too, became a symbol of apology to them.

Moreover, to me, it’s an amusing take on that American idiom, an apple a day kept the doctor away. The bag of 

source:  http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/04/01/poem-a-day-reply-series-for-therapists/

I am here for Lee Joon Hyuk. Gosh this dude is so underrated actor in South Korea. I like him since City Hall in 2008 :D 

but i am shipping Bo Young with Min Ho already, so what should i do ? LMAO

@packmule3 I really really loved episode 1 and the bickering between Min Ho and Bo Young totally won me over, so I don't know, should I continue watching this? Lol I'm already onboard with boyoung-minho ship [although I can see this ship's gonna sink :'( ], pardon my shallow heart, but I can see that this show can go beyond the typical rom-com route and giving something more. Plus that indecisive doctor was such a breath of fresh air in the world of boring punctual doctors haha. I was almost ready to punch his face when he changed the restaurant choice for the n-th time, so the maknae did good by deserting him lol.

Poetry is not really my thing but well as long as they aren't sleep inducing it's okay with me haha. Although I did like the melo poem in goblin. :/

*I have yet to watch episode 2, so will come back to comment on the rest. 

2 hours ago, nearsea said:

@packmule3 I really really loved episode 1 and the bickering between Min Ho and Bo Young totally won me over, so I don't know, should I continue watching this? Lol I'm already onboard with boyoung-minho ship [although I can see this ship's gonna sink :'( ], pardon my shallow heart, but I can see that this show can go beyond the typical rom-com route and giving something more. Plus that indecisive doctor was such a breath of fresh air in the world of boring punctual doctors haha. I was almost ready to punch his face when he changed the restaurant choice for the n-th time, so the maknae did good by deserting him lol.

Poetry is not really my thing but well as long as they aren't sleep inducing it's okay with me haha. Although I did like the melo poem in goblin. :/

*I have yet to watch episode 2, so will come back to comment on the rest. 

I always knew you had violent tendencies. hahaha. But word of advice: don't punch a guy who can flatten you like a pancake with just one leg. Did you see the massive size of Defcon??

That was an inside joke, too, from 2D1N. Defcon is such a foodie that he knows the specialty of each region that 2D1N members visit on the show. On one episode, they searched for the best hang-over soup and he proved to be a reliable resource person.  

The poetry used here isn't the high form of poetry with meters, rhymes and abstraction which I grew to detest. Here, the poems are simple free verses, expressing just one main idea, so even a non-literati like you and me will understand them without problem.  

I'm staying away from that shippers thing here at soompi. Just like in Reply 1988, I have already formed by own ideas but I'll post them in my blog where I can be open and free about them. Hurry up with Episode 2. :D

Archived