[Drama 2018] My Husband Oh Jak-doo 데릴남편 오작두

larus

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello fellow fans, I'll be joining you in this thread, as this is currently my favorite weekend Kdrama :D. After watching this week's episodes I can see future conflicts for our fake couple due to SJ's brother stealing her mountain. Because he mortgaged it his business will likely fail and Jak Doo will possibly lose his house. And seeing how we have two separate wealthy characters that have their own designs for Jak Doo, we got quite a few potential conflicts in the future.

On 3/9/2018 at 5:06 AM, meechuttso said:

Actually Hyuk's accent isn't clear enough to tell where he's from. He has a rather kind and slow disposition and seems like he  can't hurt a rodent, so he could be from Choong-Cheong province, but so far it seems like a mixture of different accents, possibly hinting at his faking of it.

Yes so I don't know why I didn't notice how obvious the accents were in the first couple of eps, but it's clearly supposed to be Choong-Chung (or spelled Chung-Cheong lately) province accent by all the ajummas and the kind and trustworthy grandma. The Goo-Ra Village they mention is also there, although not a well known place as far as I know. It's the same version and severity of accent used as in Uee's early work, Oh-Jak-Gyo brothers, and she must be quite happy to be doing OJD with all her fond memories of that work (OJG Bro), the accents and the country-side nostalgia. I say supposed to be because if you go visit that province lately nobody has that extreme an accent, including people that were born there long ago, ha ha. Overlooking it as artistic license to make us city slickers feel all the more of that 'sympatico'. Sold me on it.

The other more important thing is that when Hyuk messages his old buddy to pick up the latest Gayageum he just finished overnight while Uee snored, his accent drops again completely - he talks like a 'yankee', ha ha. I hope this friend stays a true friend and doesn't turn on him, but I bet he'll turn on Hyuk at least once before he comes crawling back - that actor seems to have been typecast into that kind of role, iirc.

3 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Dude look like a  completely different person without facial hair  and a haircut lol.

I kind of liked KKW just fine with the hair and the scruffy hair. He looks like he's trying to put a spell on Uee without mercy now. Hyuk have mercy! She's already a goner.:tongue::phew:

And the preview for next week looked really great, no angsty conflict, just the mellow rom-com melodrama. I had no idea how much I'd missed this hackneyed old genre!

What would OJD have been w/o Uee? (Her) Colorful & Moving Acting***

201803110819420410_1.jpg

*** Moving, as in 'her acting moved my heart'.

*** Colorful, as in 'Indian Pitta' Bird - 팔색조, .

From http://m.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=201803110819420410&r=1#07pz

Excerpt:

김강우에게는 겉으로는 강한 척 하면서도 속은 두려움 많은 여린 모습을, 박민지와 정수영에게는 솔직함과 안쓰러움을, 어딘가 위협적인 최성재에게는 극한 두려움을 느끼는 등 변화무쌍한 감정 연기를 펼치며 독보적 존재감을 발산하고 있다.

To KKW, while acting tough on the outside, showing her soft inside filled with fears, to Park Min-Jee and Jeong Eun-Soo showing her frank and pitiful side, from the dangerous Choi Sung-Jae (Oh Byung-Chul role) feeling acute fear, etc., (Uee) morphing into a huge range and variety of emotions, commanding an unparalleled screen presence....

I would have to agree that she's doing a great job so far. Ep 3, like Ep 1, was a bit overdone on her part and also her friends' over-reactions, but Ep 4 had much to like. The hicky accent dialog between Uee (HSJ) and KKW (OJD / Hyuk) at the supper table after she comes back to find him humming and cooking was my favorite, just so grateful he hadn't left. She tries to imitate his accent (Korean word for accent is 'sah-too-ree', for those interested) at one point, and it's very well done. So is the scene next morning where she finds herself flustered over his oozing masculinity and she yells at him, then once out of her house and the gate shut behind her complains under her breath about how he's not properly dressed for the cold weather, then walks off, with a mischievous-est grin - that was just golden. Well done, Uee. :tongue: You're improving at age 30, although not so convincing as a 35 year old in this role. I'll overlook it. LoL :ph34r:

Saw the latest episodes and so far I like where they are going with this story. Eric's character is so funny, the guy is seriously the highlight of this drama. The only thing that I dislike is the number of shitty people that I want to choke. I lost count of how many times I wanted to throw them off a cliff in the latest episodes. The fact that HJS's brother forged the documents to get her land made my blood boil. I can't wait for the moment when she disowns her family. Gosh...I'm still angry at them. As for the seconds female lead, I prayed hard for her not to end up a spoiled brat, but my prayers fell on deaf ears. What do you guys think about her?

Just now, nateko said:

Saw the latest episodes and so far I like where they are going with this story. Eric's character is so funny, the guy is seriously the highlight of this drama. The only thing that I dislike is the number of shitty people that I want to choke. I lost count of how many times I wanted to throw them off a cliff in the latest episodes. The fact that HJS's brother forged the documents to get her land made my blood boil. I can't wait for the moment when she disowns her family. Gosh...I'm still angry at them. As for the seconds female lead, I prayed hard for her not to end up a spoiled brat, but my prayers fell on deaf ears. What do you guys think about her?

Hmm have to wait until the next episode to make a judgement on her, but what interesting  is he the one that did not want to follow her but stay behind

@nateko I agree with you. She is a spoiled brat. We could come to this conclusion in two scenes:

- The way she reacted when HSJ had that accident with the wine. HSJ treated the employee with respect and helped her, whereas JEJ only got mad at her and the employee for ruining her dress. She didn't bother to ask HSJ if she was fine. She just left the scene.

- When OJD and JEJ broke up, it was clear that she was the reason why OJD broke the promise with his grandfather. He left for Seoul because JEJ had asked him too. But despite OJD's loss, she came asking him to follow her once again. She never really felt remorse for the death of the grandfather. 

- Finally, her last words were clearly showing that she somehow expected OJD to come back to her. Since he didn't appear like she had declared, she should have stood by her word: a real break up. But no, she sees that OJD didn't come to her and he has someone else in his life, she decides to meet him.

My theory is: OJD had hurt his grandfather by leaving him behind in order to go to Seoul and since the grandfather was alone, he might have had an accident... and if someone had been by his side, he wouldn't have died.

tumblr_p5gvn7QLTh1valxs7o2_500.gif

tumblr_p5gvn7QLTh1valxs7o1_500.gif

I had never found Uee compelling as an actress before, that all changed with this drama - any actor or actress just has to call me out by name to get special attention from me. This is from Ep 4 a the supper table. :phew:

Edit. And one for any fans hard at work learning this crazy wonderful language.

tumblr_p5gvn7QLTh1valxs7o3_500.gif

liked this week's episodes that I ended up staying awake even though I thought I was ready to go to sleep! hahahah....

On 3/11/2018 at 7:49 AM, meechuttso said:

And the preview for next week looked really great, no angsty conflict, just the mellow rom-com melodrama. I had no idea how much I'd missed this hackneyed old genre!

tell me about it. there's something very soothing about this genre and this drama. :)

@bebebisous33, @nateko ~ more than the brother, it was the mom that I felt like giving a knock through my computer screen. hahahah.... at least he has enough sense to know that stealing her seal and forging a registration is not proper or legal but I am not sure if he had any idea of mortgaging the mountain. it felt like since the mom approved his stealing and said he needs to fight for his inheritance, it was almost like she put the idea in his head because she was the one who mentioned mortgaging the house. so he knows that it isn't good etc enough to feel guilty but the mom actually encourages him to be bad. so we know that at the end of the drama, they are most likely redeemed in some way but am not sure how I would feel about the mom.

was actually quite surprised by his reaction to him finding out that she was married. was expecting him to be angry like his meal ticket was lost but instead, there is a bit of hurt that she didn't tell them but also understanding and realization. it takes courage to say that they have been depending on her and never considered that she might want her own life. really liked that he supported and automatically assumed that it was a grand love.

wonder if part of his waywardness and need to have a business is because of the mom's obsession with money and showing off.  what is her deal? it is like she blames seung joo for their current financial situation etc. there seemed to be genuine frustration and exasperation when he tore the photo of the matchmaking guy and said he would provide for the mom and not to use seung joo but it fell on deaf ears. so perhaps, all these shortcuts and repeated failures at business has something to do with their family history where the mom has made him feel that a regular job isn't good enough. think he is going to be really torn apart when he finds out that the problems that come between ok jak doo and seung joo because of the mountain being mortgaged.......

but am already enjoying the romance. find it interesting that she is already treating him as a husband in some sense and there is almost a long-time married couple dynamic between them that it doesn't look she got married to a random guy. right before she sees her brother, they are having this argument on why jak doo is carrying the sack of rice instead of having it delivered. the tone, the banter all of a typical married couple that the brother assumes a long standing grand love.

tumblr_p5gvn7QLTh1valxs7o7_r1_500.gif

tumblr_p5gvn7QLTh1valxs7o8_r1_500.gif

tumblr_p5gvn7QLTh1valxs7o9_r1_500.gif

On 3/11/2018 at 3:51 AM, meechuttso said:

She tries to imitate his accent (Korean word for accent is 'sah-too-ree', for those interested) at one point, and it's very well done.

Trying to capture the gist of why this was funny. She is so moved by this warm-hearted country bumpkin and his simple convictions that she just sheepishly replies back to his rhetorical question with the same twangy accent which sounds gauche, but very cute.

And for the fans of these beautiful Korean fonts.

Spoiler

tumblr_p5gvn7QLTh1valxs7o5_500.gif

tumblr_p5gvn7QLTh1valxs7o4_500.gif

tumblr_p5gvn7QLTh1valxs7o6_500.gif

tumblr_p5gx7yy7lL1valxs7o1_500.gif

tumblr_p5gx7yy7lL1valxs7o3_500.gif

tumblr_p5gx7yy7lL1valxs7o5_500.gif

So is the scene next morning where she finds herself flustered over his oozing masculinity and she yells at him, then once out of her house and the gate shut behind her complains under her breath about how he's not properly dressed for the cold weather,

I especially liked the middle one - 'Why is he undressed', and her left hand fan motion. :phew: Everyone is free to use my gifs anywhere without further consent.

Korean

Spoiler

tumblr_p5gx7yy7lL1valxs7o2_500.gif

tumblr_p5gx7yy7lL1valxs7o4_500.gif

@Lmangla I feel the same way. The mother is the source of the problem in that family and the aunt knew it. The mother is just so greedy for money and superficial. She hoped or had imagined that her son would get rich quickly, once he finished his studies hence he tried to do business. Yet he couldn't resist the temptation to spend the money himself for something else, like his mother. I guess, the mother would spend it immediately too in order to show off in front of others. But despite the selfishness of the mother, HST is himself a bad person as he never cared for his sister, until he heard about her marriage. The fact that she didn't tell him hurt him as he gets aware that she doesn't really consider him as his family. So deep down, he knew that he was using his sister all along but the news makes him realize that this can not go on forever like that.

Since Eric seems to be interested in HSJ, I can imagine that Eric might try to help her (the mortgage). By the way, I can understand why Eric is attracted by HSJ, although their first encounter wasn't an agreeable one. HSJ acted like a strong and independent woman, she didn't care for his social status (bigger car) or his gender. In my opinion, Eric has been looked down by people behind his back but in front of him, they fake their respect because he has money and a lot of influence. HSJ was genuine and direct, something refreshing and new to him. 

tumblr_p5gx7yy7lL1valxs7o6_500.gif

complains under her breath about how he's not properly dressed for the cold weather, then walks off, with a mischievous-est grin - that was just golden. Well done, Uee. :tongue:

Ha ha, I just had to squeeze that in.

18 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

but am already enjoying the romance. find it interesting that she is already treating him as a husband in some sense and there is almost a long-time married couple dynamic between them that it doesn't look she got married to a random guy. right before she sees her brother, they are having this argument on why jak doo is carrying the sack of rice instead of having it delivered. the tone, the banter all of a typical married couple that the brother assumes a long standing grand love.

I love that he's such a really GOOD guy, not some petty self absorbed rich entitled ***** or worse, some professional stalker. And let's face it, Uee, or HSJ, Seung-Joo is not blind and knows what big gorgeous hunk of meat fell on her lap, as evidenced by this gif. :wub:

38 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

I love that he's such a really GOOD guy, not some petty self absorbed rich entitled ***** or worse, some professional stalker. And let's face it, Uee, or HSJ, Seung-Joo is not blind and knows what big gorgeous hunk of meat fell on her lap, as evidenced by this gif. :wub:

you know what is also nice is that they are at the same level of feeling. he also thinks of her already as his kind of wife or atleast family. he tells her that she is all he has got. and it didnt feel like pity or duty that he is staying with her after finding out about the murder and her panic disorder. he stays because he made a commitment and in a way she has become family to him now.

her reaction to him cooking for her felt like it had been a long long long time since someone asked her (with full focus on her), "did you eat?" and her almost childish behaviour over wanting to eat and feeling petty that he didn't pour the tea for her showed how much these small familiar gestures mean to her....

43 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Lmangla I feel the same way. The mother is the source of the problem in that family and the aunt knew it. The mother is just so greedy for money and superficial. She hoped or had imagined that her son would get rich quickly, once he finished his studies hence he tried to do business.

yea it felt like there was no love lost between the aunt and the mom and wonder if the aunt blamed her for whatever happened to the dad. it doesn't feel like the mom all of a sudden became materialistic but perhaps always been that way. if she is like this way with seung joo who looks to be her full blood daughter at the moment (perhaps, she isn't and the drama will tell us later), then she would be just as bad with her husband no? like you said, seung tae is a reflection of the mother which means more likely seung joo is a reflection of her dad and aunt perhaps?

@nateko ~ like @dramaninja, am also waiting for next week to figure out the second lead. but what I really liked is that the first time she sees jak doo again after so many times, she ends up seeing him with seung joo. while she has no idea what is their equation, it was clear from the scene that she saw and their body language indicated a deep relationship. (as in, not just friends). and since she has found out that he lives with seung joo, it would be a shock to her that he was living in the city with another woman and has technically moved on and didn't show up for her concert... but really enjoyed that he is already putting seung joo first. while he wanted to go to the concert, when the hospital called, his first priority was seung joo and he ran there. so it makes me feel that rather than being fickle and not able to make up his mind, he is going to stay with seung joo regardless of how eun jun comes across. from the preview, it looks her pettiness towards seung joo is probably triggered from whatever jak doo said. perhaps, he brushed her off and said that he has moved on with his life. ooh, it will be good next week!!

3 hours ago, meechuttso said:

Trying to capture the gist of why this was funny. She is so moved by this warm-hearted country bumpkin and his simple convictions that she just sheepishly replies back to his rhetorical question with the same twangy accent which sounds gauche, but very cute.

thanks for pointing it out. thats super cute. one of the signs of really good connection (between friends, family or a couple) is how speech patterns can be very similar. we start sounding like each other and we do it unconsciously. so thats really sweet that she is already responding with a bit of a twang to match his sing song accent. :love:

Hi!

Something that I notice about JD and JS together that already hints at a better match than gayageum girl is that it seems that the power in the relationship goes both ways. With the second lead,  she seems to have always been pulling him around and when he mentioned going back to the mountain, she seemed to resist. In fact she suggested that he leave it behind permanently. Which he couldn't do, since that was his grandfathers legacy. With JS, while she gets him to the city, and complains about him going back, she is vulnerable enough that when he insists, she relents and goes back with him. And in fact, she is happy there.

I also find it interesting how JD is slowly becoming her haven. It has become apparent to me, that JS has most likely never had anyone to rely on her whole life and that others tend to rely on her or incorrectly assume that she will be ok cause she has the appearance of being strong. However, due to her panic disorder and need to have someone help take care of her, she is forced to bring her walls down and become emotionally vulnerable with him....which I don't really think she is with anyone for the most part. 

As for JD, I think it is good for him to take care of her. I think firstly he has been more lonely on the mountain than he realized, but also JS has an actual need for him, which makes it harder for him to leave and not become wise in the ways of the world. He needs to be needed. The other girl was easier to leave as she would essentially be find if he was gone, but JD needs someone to take care of her...despite how prickly she can be. Also, the other girl...I don't think there will be much reconciling as he did not seem even happy to go to that concert...which would explain how it would be so easy for him to skip it. Plus, I did not see him having any regret pains for not being able to go. It was like out of sight out of mind.

While at the moment it is still early to say that they like each other, but I think that there is some good potential for the future story.

Archived