[Drama 2018] My Husband Oh Jak-doo 데릴남편 오작두

larus

34 minutes ago, IBELIS said:

I just started watching this so some of my comments will seem old hat . First I am stuck on the the murderer , at this point even if it is misunderstanding it should be made clear why this man is after her to the viewing audience. the dead woman found in her apartment was someone SJ didn't seem to know, so why was she in her house? 

Seung Joo rented out her place during the time she was on the trip to the countryside. The guy who wants her dead hired an assassin to kill SJ so that's why the woman died by mistake instead of her. We still don't know the whole background for his motive, but he makes SJ responsible for his wife's death.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, meechuttso said:

I want to use up everything I made from Ep 5. My mum told me never to waste good gifs, coz, you never know who might like it.

Keep it coming!!

I've also made some GIFs myself but when trying to upload them im having problems. Which website do you use to get an URL for yours?

11 hours ago, Lmangla said:

had a little time... so if you are free, take a read on these links:

#1 - https://worldmusiccentral.org/2012/06/29/interview-with-kyungso-park-korean-gayageum-artist/

#2 - https://wayneoutthere.com/a-brief-comparison-of-korean-gayageum-chinese-guzheng-and-japanese-koto/

#3 - http://www.ipaulownia.co.uk/paulownia-info/why-paulownia/

so #1 is an interview with a gayageum artist. it is interesting to hear her perspective.. #2 is comparison of a brief history and comparison with similar instruments from china and japan.. #3 is about the wood.

so my thoughts after a little bit of research in relation to this drama -- so gayageum is only made of paulowinia wood and is made from one slab of wood. not several pieces. from the traditional artisan work here in my place and our history, stuff that is made from one single piece of material is always seen as requiring more skill and artistry. so if there is a statute made from a single piece of rock, it is always emphasized when you visit that site etc. so oh jak doo would have to be very skilled if he is making the best gayageums -- so if there is one flaw, then the entire block of wood has to be thrown out. another piece cannot be cut and supplemented into it to correct the mistake....

the knots that eun jae refers to and recognizes as his work. gayageum uses silk strings....

and back to the wood, so we have these scenes where oh jak doo is looking at that tree like family, well, it is because it is paulownia tree. these trees are not vulnerable to fire and have great resonance which is why they are used to make instruments. the other thing that was interesting is that this tree has deep roots and grows well in steep inclines and areas that have poor soil and can be good for reforestation (especially after a fire). so seung tae's proposal to build a resort was rejected because the soil was rocky. remember being a bit confused because I was like "there's trees!!!" and now it makes all sense to me. so this mountain area is good for paulownia trees but not necessarily has a good soil.

Thank you @Lmangla Loved reading all those articles and learning about wood, and soil, and all that good stuff!!  Post more such stuff! Like the good mountain man, there seems to be more to this sweet drama than at first meets the eye? So thanks for bringing out some of it here for us and sharing it!

'Rustic' = 'hick from the countryside'.

Now I'm looking forward to Ep 7 and 8 to see in what novel ways these two will have another spat, trying to tell the other person they are not 'interested', much less 'married and madly in love', by yelling at and making fun of each other - and FAILING, ending up saying things like, Seung-Jo: "Do you want to date me?" , Jak-Doo: "Do you like me?"

It's all the more fun because they are already legally married under contract but not for 'love', so they have to justify their every waking moment that it's not for reason of physical attraction that they're together that way, but in vain. I guess in that regard it's identical to Uee's previous 'marriage contract'.

I think one of the reasons I like this drama is because it boils down to a story about something being lost in translation between 2 people (or 4 people, if you prefer) because of the different worlds they come from with all its assumptions; not knowing that they don't really belong 'there' (physical location or station in life) as much as they thought they did, finding that new language to listen and hear the person from not-your-world, understand, and move towards that blissful new place of complete oneness of heart and mind regardless of where they eventually settle down together physically or end up in whatever station in life.

By the way Eun-Jo tries to hint to Seung-Joo, isn't there something not quite right or silly about who this guy claims he is, including his name, Jak-Doo (which no sane modern parents would actually name their child). But Seung-Joo's city-slicker preconception of a 'rustic guy' (hick) gets in the way of her seeing this obvious point, and she's only just now connected him with her aunt, beginning to notice that there is much more to the man already than meets the eye. Subtle little unspoken biases, prejudices that leak out through their actions and inactions make the silly premise of these two's relationship believable enough such that we want to go right along with their dreamy journey, not minding all the other clearly outrageous stuff. :tounge_wink:

In Ep 6, much happened, including a clarification of when Jak-Doo uses the country accent and why. He tells Eun-Jo he even prefers talking with it now than not, which points to his 'state of mind' - when he speaks with that humble accent, he is still in that 'right place' in his mind, where he belongs. It's his way of carrying his home with him where he goes, where he is doing what he needs to be doing - safe-guarding his grandpa's legacy, the house that is his 'everything', and the solid way of life that was handed down to him, where he takes time to create beautiful instrument from good wood (paulownia tree!) with his own two hands, and he blesses others (younger musicians without means) with that priceless work. Gosh, it makes me wanna talk like him too now and take up,... er, ... pottery, or something. :joy:

15 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

It's all the more fun because they are already legally married under contract but not for 'love', so they have to justify their every waking moment that it's not for reason of physical attraction that they're together that way, but in vain. I guess in that regard it's identical to Uee's previous 'marriage contract'.

Actually they are not. They haven't register the marriage like her mom say in episode 6.

16 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

By the way Eun-Jo tries to hint to Seung-Joo, isn't there something not quite right or silly about who this guy claims he is, including his name, Jak-Doo (which no sane modern parents would actually name their child). But Seung-Joo's city-slicker preconception of a 'rustic guy' (hick) gets in the way of her seeing this obvious point, and she's only just now connected him with her aunt, beginning to notice that there is much more to the man already than meets the eye. Subtle little unspoken biases, prejudices that leak out through their actions and inactions make the silly premise of these two's relationship believable enough such that we want to go right along with their dreamy journey, not minding all the other clearly outrageous stuff. :tounge_wink:

That's another proof, she doesn't know his real name. If they trully were married, she would have seen it on the form.

They did something like Because it's my first life.

21 hours ago, Lmangla said:

and back to the wood, so we have these scenes where oh jak doo is looking at that tree like family, well, it is because it is paulownia tree. these trees are not vulnerable to fire and have great resonance which is why they are used to make instruments. the other thing that was interesting is that this tree has deep roots and grows well in steep inclines and areas that have poor soil and can be good for reforestation (especially after a fire). so seung tae's proposal to build a resort was rejected because the soil was rocky. remember being a bit confused because I was like "there's trees!!!" and now it makes all sense to me. so this mountain area is good for paulownia trees but not necessarily has a good soil.

Interesting!  I didn't think of the trees on the mountain.

14 hours ago, IBELIS said:

the dead woman found in her apartment was someone SJ didn't seem to know, so why was she in her house? 

She was renting the room for the night.  Airbnb or similar.

Did everyone see these?  From MBC news, via the official site:

bq7mY1O.jpg

Apparently a soccer player by the name of Ki Sung Yong sent a coffee truck to the set!  Who is this guy?  Anyone know?  I found his profile on naver, but I have no idea what the connection would be.  Friend?  Superfan?

Anyway, it amuses me to see KKW wandering around in his Jak Doo attire, right next to his spiffy model-y photos. :D

30 minutes ago, ecs707a said:

Did everyone see these?  From MBC news, via the official site:

Apparently a soccer player by the name of Ki Sung Yong sent a coffee truck to the set!  Who is this guy?  Anyone know?  I found his profile on naver, but I have no idea what the connection would be.  Friend?  Superfan?

Anyway, it amuses me to see KKW wandering around in his Jak Doo attire, right next to his spiffy model-y photos. :D

He is the captain of South Korea's national football team. He plays for the English club, Swansea. 

PS big football fan :D 

5 minutes ago, sophierai21 said:

He is the captain of South Korea's national football team. He plays for the English club, Swansea. 

PS big football fan :D 

So he just loves the drama?  How random, but also very nice of him, lol.

1 hour ago, ecs707a said:

Ki Sung-Yueng is his brother-in-law.  Their wives are sisters. His wife is the older sister of actress Han Hye-jin who is Ki Sung Yong's wife.

am glad you enjoyed reading about the wood and soil @meechuttso @ecs707a :D .... makes sense more now ok jak doo is more rooted to that area. it is possible that the paulownia trees there are of higher quality and he would want to remain there to get access to material. it also might have been easier to remain anonymous as it was easy to get access to get good wood..  so it makes me wonder if he would return to country side at some point and what that would mean to seung joo....

6 hours ago, meechuttso said:

Thank you @Lmangla Loved reading all those articles and learning about wood, and soil, and all that good stuff!!  Post more such stuff! Like the good mountain man, there seems to be more to this sweet drama than at first meets the eye? So thanks for bringing out some of it here for us and sharing it!

'Rustic' = 'hick from the countryside'.

Now I'm looking forward to Ep 7 and 8 to see in what novel ways these two will have another spat, trying to tell the other person they are not 'interested', much less 'married and madly in love', by yelling at and making fun of each other - and FAILING, ending up saying things like, Seung-Jo: "Do you want to date me?" , Jak-Doo: "Do you like me?"

I think one of the reasons I like this drama is because it boils down to a story about something being lost in translation between 2 people (or 4 people, if you prefer) because of the different worlds they come from with all its assumptions; not knowing that they don't really belong 'there' (physical location or station in life) as much as they thought they did, finding that new language to listen and hear the person from not-your-world, understand, and move towards that blissful new place of complete oneness of heart and mind regardless of where they eventually settle down together physically or end up in whatever station in life.

In Ep 6, much happened, including a clarification of when Jak-Doo uses the country accent and why. He tells Eun-Jo he even prefers talking with it now than not, which points to his 'state of mind' - when he speaks with that humble accent, he is still in that 'right place' in his mind, where he belongs. It's his way of carrying his home with him where he goes, where he is doing what he needs to be doing - safe-guarding his grandpa's legacy, the house that is his 'everything', and the solid way of life that was handed down to him, where he takes time to create beautiful instrument from good wood (paulownia tree!) with his own two hands, and he blesses others (younger musicians without means) with that priceless work. Gosh, it makes me wanna talk like him too now and take up,... er, ... pottery, or something. :joy:

Why does JD automatically have no accent when he talks to EJ but every time he subconsciously uses country accent when around SJ and talking to her?

12 minutes ago, philosophie said:

Why does JD automatically have no accent when he talks to EJ but every time he subconsciously uses country accent when around SJ and talking to her?

JakDoo sounds like he was maybe an orphan who got 'adopted' by the grandpa gayageum maker (my guess). He didn't talk with accent at first, but grew to like it over time. By the time he left, he could talk with an accent without difficulty, but after a few years in the city when he went back to the countryside, he probably wanted to talk with the accent because he had missed the old way of life, and he identifies more closely with the way of the master and the countryfolk rather than the cityfolk. So it's telling that he treats EunJo like a cityfolk, but although he sort of unintentionally started talking to SeungJoo with the hicky accent, he probably feels closer to her talking that way now - and I myself have grown to really like his accent. SeungJoo probably does too, now, and if he started talking to her like a yankee, she (nor I) wouldn't like it very much. :) Like I said, country-talk is friendly talk.

On 3/22/2018 at 4:09 AM, Lmangla said:

had a little time... so if you are free, take a read on these links:

#1 - https://worldmusiccentral.org/2012/06/29/interview-with-kyungso-park-korean-gayageum-artist/

#2 - https://wayneoutthere.com/a-brief-comparison-of-korean-gayageum-chinese-guzheng-and-japanese-koto/

#3 - http://www.ipaulownia.co.uk/paulownia-info/why-paulownia/

so #1 is an interview with a gayageum artist. it is interesting to hear her perspective.. #2 is comparison of a brief history and comparison with similar instruments from china and japan.. #3 is about the wood.

so my thoughts after a little bit of research in relation to this drama -- so gayageum is only made of paulowinia wood and is made from one slab of wood. not several pieces. from the traditional artisan work here in my place and our history, stuff that is made from one single piece of material is always seen as requiring more skill and artistry. so if there is a statute made from a single piece of rock, it is always emphasized when you visit that site etc. so oh jak doo would have to be very skilled if he is making the best gayageums -- so if there is one flaw, then the entire block of wood has to be thrown out. another piece cannot be cut and supplemented into it to correct the mistake....

the knots that eun jae refers to and recognizes as his work. gayageum uses silk strings....

Thanks for this great info!! This is indeed quite meaningful because actually, HSJ can become rich if she decides to help  OJD creating gayageum. For that, she needs to discover his true identity. Sure, HSJ is not interested in business but this mountain is what reinforces the bound of this couple.

Like you said, this tree doesn't require a good soil, moreover it makes the gesture of the aunt very interesting. On the surface, the hill doesn't seem to have a lot of value... but there is more than it meets the eye.

But we shouldn't forget that HSJ also met her aunt in the countryside which seems to indicate that HSJ was also a countryside girl in the beginning that's why she is not annoyed with OJD's accent. 

On 3/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, gusanito said:

Not sure why he didn’t tell the police either, maybe he is trying to make some sense with all the clues first??

I just marathoned the past 6 episodes and have to say that I'm looking forward to this weekend. I wondered the same thing--why didn't he tell the police? But the same goes for her, she knows that 2 times someone tried to cause her to have an accident. I know she wants to feel protected, but unfortunately, the reality is she's not. I would have told the police because they still need to be looking for this guy. I also want to know why he wants to kill her. He was told that SJ had nothing to do with the other girl's death, but he didn't listen to whoever is on the phone. I hope this drama doesn't give him an easy out because he has a son. This man is committing crimes for which he needs to pay. 

On 3/19/2018 at 10:29 PM, philosophie said:

I can’t wait to see their relationship develop and a kiss to happen, I sear when she got home from EJs house and he was on the couch giving her a wrist grab, I was expecting the kiss to happen right there and then! Ahhh my heart fluttered so much. I need more episodes. Can the weekend come sooner?

I was hoping she would fall asleep w/him on that couch, but when he grabbed her wrist I almost dyed from that chemistry explosion. Wow, they were on fire,crazy-monkey-emoticon-121.gif What I'm loving the most about this drama is the way SJ and JD are starting to care about each other is so natural. As much as the OTP has me, I keep wondering what is up with the psycho killer? Why hasn't JD told her about his run in w/him? I can see why he doesn't want her to worry but this could be dangerous. 

@lclaraklI don't understand why she hasn't reported these 'traffic

accidents' either,  they seem to be far from the scope of some idiot that has no use for blinkers, look both ways or the need to get there first.

@Lmangla Thanks for doing the homework on gayageums, it's very interesting stuff.:D

7 hours ago, triplem said:

Though I like him clean shaven...I miss his ahjumma sense of style. :lol: (gif cr: http://banghae.tumblr.com/)

Yep, I like them men raw, uncooked. Thanks for the cute gif and the link @triplem.

So quiet here, considering what a gem this drama is turning out to be....

Ep 7 & 8 were another Daebak Saturday night (or morning depending on where we are). Soo many giffables, or as I like to say, giffiphyables. I hope I can find some time this busy weekend to make some, coz this pair is a treasure trove begging to be shown.

Although 7, 8 were a bit less coherent and I'm starting to see the inevitable repetitious patterns emerge in the story (8 / 24 - we have 16 more to go! Yay!), this pair's chemistry is, just, wow, sumthin' serious, even extraordinary (thinking of Korean phrase or adjective 예사롭지않은, but no English equivalent). Even the opening French restaurant scene was sooo well conceived and executed, Eric adding the necessary perspective that'd easily be lost without that envy and disgust he only could have provided.

I thought Eric's confession cake thing was just too off the wall sudden and rushed last week, and thankfully Jak-Doo blocked that fateful confession with his own body 'accidentally', but I see why the writer had done that and Eric continues to seem a multi-layered character, and he's doing a great job as the miserable rich successful classless guy who lacks that one thing he really wants - and I might add his goofy accent is not an easy one to pull off (makes me wonder how much the actor is faking the accent or if he really pretty much talks like that in English - because there's the funny accent of Koreans trying to talk beginning English, and the funnier one of Koreans who think they know some English and are trying to show it off - that's Eric's).

Whereas Seung-Jo was mostly yelling at Jak-Doo and pretending to not be fond of him before, by Ep 8, she has turned the corner, and I am seeing Seung-Joo starting to unleash her aegyo that signals her desire to be seen as 'his woman'. And somehow Jak-Doo has found his inner aegyo, to cheer her up at her lowest and be the husband she needs. Ah, there was soo much more, and while the bedroom physical touch was spartan at best, their dialog was more intimate than I could have wished for!

More comments and hopefully gifs later! :love::love:

Archived