Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018] Children of The Lesser God 작은 신의 아이들

Posted (edited)

Just had to drop a quick note about  Eps 11 . Managed to squeeze in during my break. I am addicted to this drama. :D

If there was one word that I could use to sum the episode up it would be - heartbreaking. 

Felt Kim Dan's pain as she confronts her father about who he really was. How does one deal with the heartbreak of finding out that the parent you looked up to and adored was a monster ( I am assuming he had a hand in the deaths of the 31 on the island ) and is not who he really is . Honestly I don't know how to feel about KD's dad. On one hand you can tell he really loves KD and if he is not her biological dad , it is even more sad because he raised her like his own. But on the other hand - what kind of man is he ?? 

And my god , as if the cult Pastor and the evil trinity are not sick enough we get to see the real deal with raising the orphans - organ harvesting. Baek Ah Hyun is no joke  - even more evil than her father and a product of her father's indulgent upbringing . Her obsession with Ha Min is because she could never fully have him - the expensive accessory that she covets but yet can't get. Please let her be punished as well.

Another interesting development in Jae In and Kim Dan's partnership is that our man of science and logic has fully come to terms with her gift. I liked that he believed her and encouraged her to use her gift to track down that missing kid. I always remember how he would tell her not to be so emotional , and he often implied that rational thinking based on facts was the way to go. So for him to come to this point of using her gift to find the child is a big deal.

Finally , the scene that tugged at my heartstrings

ABPNAjh.jpg I cried a river. Can Ha Min still continue to abet in the crimes of the evil trinity now? 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@triplem chingu.. youre so hardworking with your long review. When im watching this i was so squeezed with my schedule after work days lol.. I watched like 3-4 eps after work. I dont even think to dropped by to write here :lol::lol:. And the thread was so quiet too.. cos its already early 2018 drama. 

I also always at the edge of my seats on every episodes. And i felt quite empty when im finally finished this drama. I think you will also feel the same later... 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

@Lawyerh I hv no idea why I feel so inspired. I am short of time but I really can’t help but share my excitement each time I watch an episode. The pacing is great & every episode you learn something new & you see the characters develop. There are no wasted scenes. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Posted (edited)

@sushilicious @Lawyerh I am leaving the last 4 eps to this weekend. I know I'll be crying buckets for Ha Min. Meanwhile I am mindlessly watching videos of SHS on YT. He's done a number of indie films , so can find quite a bit of stuff online.

Yes I think I need some coffee- I don't drink but I like its aroma . 

Honestly eps 12 broke my heart in many ways. But I am too tired to write anything that makes sense

This one is funny

Edited by triplem
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3

A lot happened and was revealed in these two episodes but I think eps 12 and 13 was about closure . 

For Jae In it was about finally letting his sister go in peace. Two years of mourning and grief , and putting his life on standstill can finally come to an end . For Kim Dan , it was about facing her greatest fear of discovering who dad was. While no one can be absolved from the conscious choices they make to harm, hurt and end another's life , I did have some sympathy for him because in some ways KD's dad was a victim himself. He was sold a bunch of lies and he bought them because he was ignorant and vulnerable. He was drowned in grief after the death of his daughter and they knew how to exploit that. Dying to save KD was probably the closure he needed for what must have been 20 years of living a guilt ridden life. 

And finally for my favorite Ha Min. How cruel was this? How is it even possible for any child to overcome such a trauma ? Is it any wonder that Ha Min has a warped perspective of love and life?

Spoiler

tYsGZ4O.png

While I am not excusing his actions , I think I finally understand him . I can see why he put up with being the errand boy for the evil trinity. For him life held no meaning other than finding Byul. And now that he's found her , he will use his life to protect hers. 

Even though Jae In and Kim Dan may not see this yet, it is obvious to me that he is going pull a crazy stunt to bring the entire house of cards down. The consequences will be nothing short of tragic. 

D2zbKzb.pngLTxjnEq.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Beginning eps of 14 _ I am not sure if Kim Dan was trying to provoke a strong response out of Ha Min, but for the 1st time in the entire drama I have to disagree with her. I am not sure if something is lost in translation but when she accused Ha Min of being an accomplice to her father's death , I could accept that. But what made me miffed was that she said he had a choice even as a child and that I cannot take. How was Ha Min to know that he was serving poisoned wine? He was not given a choice at all.  She did not realise that she could have easily been in Ha Min's place - she too was suppose to help pour wine for the 31 but Popeye had told her to rest as she was sick.  She was very fortunate that her dad took her away. If she had stayed on and was raised by the cult , she may have very well met the same fate as Apollo or the other girl ( the husband killer). CHOICE - was a luxury that the 3 -Popeye, Apollo and the other girl didn't have. They were groomed and non-compliance meant death. What does one choose - naturally , it would be self preservation. That hurts coming from KD , knowing that she was Ha Min's life line all this while. 

eps 15 - Felt so bad for Jae In. That was some serious plot twist, an awfully cruel one. Never expected that the ahjussi he loves , the one he treats like his father , is the one who caused the death of his father and sister. Right to the end he wanted to give the man a chance to repent. This betrayal is even worse than when KD found out who her dad was. At least in her case , dad really loved her. Here, this ahjussi was trying to cover his guilt and he did not hesitate even one bit to get rid of the sister.

And that last scene broke my heart with HM thinking it’s too late to turn back . 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Finale

I am so glad this drama decided not to end badly - the bad guys got what they deserved and the characters I loved had their happy ending .  I thought Baek Ah Hyun's punishment was the best . For someone who thought her life was worth more than anybody else's , to have to live like everyone else is poetic justice. 

Highlight of the final episode was no doubt seeing this - as Byul had always been Popeye's lifeline, I am glad it was her at the end of the day that saved his soul.

vcw3ncT.pngRP2DSSV.png

To be honest at the end of eps 15 , I was about to give up and accept that he would walk down a tragic path. I am so glad that he  changed his mind . He was the lucky one - he maintained his sanity unlike the others and had the opportunity to start afresh , thanks to Jae In's quick thinking of faking his death. I feel a little sad now thinking of the other two. (Apollo and the husband killer).

The writers tied things up very nicely here , coming full circle by allowing Ha Min to set  himself free  by exposing Kook Han Joo - the very man who chained him with  guilt over the last two decades. 

Spoiler

Wu3Vcmy.png

Overall I really enjoyed this drama . Strong performances by our leads , both whom I am watching for the first time. There was a great partnership between Kim Dan and Jae In , and I enjoyed seeing how they came to rely on each other and complemented each others skills and talents in outwitting the baddies . They had great chemistry and the writer clearly hinted that their partnership was more than just work, which I am sure would make many happy here. I was also grateful that the supernatural bits of this drama were bearable , cause I would not have been able to watch if it was outright horror.

But there's  no denying that Popeye / Ha Min was the character that moved me the most. While I know there were some comments that he was let off too easily, I beg to differ. He had been paying for a sin that was not his throughout his childhood and he punished himself by ensuring that he had no contact with KD in the last 2 years. That was probably the most painful thing for  him as KD had always been his reason for staying alive. So for me , he has paid his dues. I wished KD had hugged him at the end - not in a romantic sense but seeing the emotions on his face, he really needed one. Anyway SHS did such a lovely job in bringing this character to life , and I daresay this is one of his best roles yet. I would love to see him again in a role as meaty as this one . 

Happy ending !

XOhgfuK.png

Edited by triplem
  • Love 2

I have been watching the drama with the unclear subs, I understand most of it, but I have a question, does the pastor kill the 31 people years ago to get rid of the politician's pregnant mistress? another question, why was the pastor using orphans? what was the medicine he gave them every day??

@nohamahamoud2002 There were two reasons for the mass killings:

First is the fierce competition in the presidential elections at the time, with the gap in support ratings between the two candidates being a mere 3%. If the pregnant mistress of leading candidate Cheon is revealed by the opposition party, the scandal would tip the balance in the opposition candidate's favour, giving them a free ticket to the Blue House. Prosecutor Guk's job is to ensure that this does not happen.

The other reason is the fact that the residents of the Cheon Guk Welfare Center have exposed the wrongdoings of Pastor Wang and Baek Do Gyu in their letter to Prosecutor Guk, which also voiced their concerns about the "vitamins" given daily to the children. The so-called vitamins are actually children's antibiotics which are being manufactured and sold, and the children are being used as test subjects of clinical trials to test the side effects of the antibiotics.

With the mistress being sent to hide out at Cheon Guk Welfare Center, the mass killings of which she is a victim, serve to silence her, and divert the public's attention from any rumours of a pregnant mistress to the terrible tragedy, thus ensuring no scandal rocks Candidate Cheon's election campaign. In addition, Pastor Wang and co. are able to get rid of the people who threaten to expose all their dirty secrets, including illegal clinical trials, abuse, murder, thus enabling them to escape punishment for their crimes.

• Thanks 1