[Drama 2018] Children of The Lesser God 작은 신의 아이들

larus

18 hours ago, liddi said:

@40somethingahjumma The Chinese title is 小神的孩子们. And yes, the C-subs are far better than available English subs. I hope too that we will see it on Netflix or VIU one day.

Great thanks! I just wanted a few things clarified. I don't think I have a great deal of time to watch the whole thing again with C subs. But the show was a great ride... better than what I had expected.

My only gripe is one of mixed feelings. Much as I root for JHM, I can't explain his fate without throwing logic out the door. I do love that his loyalties, misguided, skewed or otherwise, remain unclear to us until the last moment, but still that ending defies explanation with the final showdown feeling rather forced and far-fetched. Nonetheless, it is a relatively minor hiccup in an excellent drama overall, buoyed by brilliant performances and characterisations.

Haha... yeah... it's one of those dramatic 11th hour turn arounds that Kdramaland loves.

I'm just thankful he didn't get the girl TBH. :P I think that would have stretched even my imagination for a fantasy thriller like this. I can accept some miraculous elements because of the genre but after his constant obstructionism and the part he played in KD's dad's demise... yeah, it would be a bit much.

I suppose the show is trying to say that they were all victims in some form of the Heaven's Gate conspiracy and that the last minute act of atonement by HM paid for some of his sins. Still I wouldn't defend him too much although I agree with CJI that JHM was torn despite the pretence because he still had some kind of conscience. Part of the little boy who grew up with KD was still lingering in the background. I agree that he probably should have gone to jail for all his misdeeds but then he probably wouldn't have survived detention much less the trial. It doesn't bother me either way because his role is primarily that of the troubleshooting antagonist and once his masters fell, he was a puppet whose strings were cut off... Nonetheless, a role he consented to inhabit.

@triplem It's a problem with OCN dramas that they don't always get a look in but I'm still surprised. I thought Kang Ji Hwan has a bit of a fan base and the show is actually quite decent (unlike Neighbourhood Hero or the Vampire Detective).

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived