[Drama 2018] Children of The Lesser God 작은 신의 아이들

larus

34 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@Heidi Seow ya.. they dont need a full blown romance to get the point across oSv2Yae.gif

Lol your on priority tagged list bcos its our favourite style hahaha 6ImqDgJ.gif 

And i always wondering detective should be in unkempt mode and look like not shower for a week. But well, of course he never looked that way.

He just getting more stylish as the episodes go whIwJjK.gif hahaha... And I agree even his beggar outfit is trendy lol...I was trying to get more chingu watching. But i think the plan backtrack me and im getting mesmerized back by CJI instead lol.

Uniform for you btw !!! 

Oh! Kamsahamnida @Lawyerh thank-you-soldier-baby-emoticon.gif?1292 The uniform style always is my favourite white-cloud-emoticon6.gif?1292330538

I guess detective outlook is quite open forum coz it depend on their character's background. But I prefer clean look rather than no shower for a week.. :sweatingbullets: Beard is fine but no shower for a week it seems like not a detective material.. white-cloud-emoticon2.gif?1292330538  I think is also because COALG shooting at Winter and Spring time and Winter/Spring clothes is more choices, accessories and stylish than summer time. (Actually I just found out that I seldom watch K-Drama in summer background).

I convinced my sister watched this drama, at first she almost wanna kill me because she got scared by 1 of the scene that scary movie part and the OST song "Because I believe" she said too spooky to listen at midnight but overall is funny and interesting story line. 

Hahaha! I agree with you that I also get mesmerised by CJI and everything start from uniform part. panda-emoticon-15.gif?1292863507Which part you get mesmerised by CJI? 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

Hahaha i think almost the whole series im hooked up by him :wub:. My favourite will be when he go to the stranded island. It's creepy but also funny, and they have a lot of time bonding together with just 2 of them. And when shes forced to leave her house and stay in his house also quite funny. 

Most of the time he's just so clever, interesting and funny. Actually the pacing was so good, that i can't stop watching it. 

And Heidi don't you think the way he hold the gun is just so cool... He can shoot fire straight to my heart muahahaha... Ok dont mind me... i think im going crazy already lol...

What's your favourite portion? I think other than his fashion show, we never discussed in details actually... lol. So happy to have you spam here with me :heart:

Oh yes! the bonding time in island are so great. He scream so hard when he saw the grandmother and I'm like face palm that why he so scared on ghost.. :lol: 

Yes!! I agree his holding gun gesture very cool. Not only that, the way he light up the lighter also different (scene from Island when he wanna blow up the chemical bottle) I loop that part many times. I wonder how many times he did that part. The combat stimulation part at church also very awesome. Suddenly remind me of Kingsmen Church fighting scene! Can he be like Colin Firth??? I'm sure I'm gonna crazy coz that I loop Kingsmen Church scene like crazy  (Colin Firth is one of my fav actors). 

Hahaha we really poison on fashion part aren't we? :lol: Yes we are! 

I'll be right back after dinner for sharing my thought on COALG. 

1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

Ha ha ha i remembered he looked like Harry Potter when trying to do chemical mixing... hocus pocus....lol. Is this the one? I got short memory haha...

He is actually more look like crazy scientist here chingu muahahahaha...

An oh... i love this as well.... The way he look at her and blink his is eyes is love oSv2Yae.gif

I probably need to rewatch this when free :rolleyes:

Hahaha, yes yes this is the one that I mentioned. "Does anyone love science?" :D He does look like crazy scientist when he doing chemical stuffs. 

Yes this is one of thing I like CJI character is his eyes never put away from Kim Dan side. Actually Im quite surprise he called Kim Dan in casual way on ep3.( When Kim Dan get shoot on her arm side) Usually they called each other in formal way right before they in relationship. I wonder izzit that moment CJI have feeling on her. 

I dont feel boring on this drama, I think I can rewatch it many time. The OST "Truth" is really my jam song now.. 

Spoiler

Oh btw, where did you get all this gifs? 

Yes @Lawyerh, she call him sunbae and he call her Kim Dan or Dan-ah(certain situation). I think this drama dont have much time for romance part of because the crime issue way too tricky. If they put romance plot I think the feeling will be different. Dont think will concentrate on crime case d and might be drag down the story plot.

Kim Dan's character is awesome. Really independent, strong and happy person. I feel comfortable on her character. :) (I prefer independent female character rather than week and always cry... Kinda annoying to me..)  

I kinda pity on Jo Ha-Him but thanks god he survived till the end. I really like his chemistry with KJH even at press conference. I never thought they got height difference :lol: 

CJI's taste on female does awkward. I laughed out the way he said strike on victim's wife.

Actually I don't have good feeling on OCN show. I always get disappointed ending .. :sweatingbullets:  This is the 1st time I get satisfied ending  

Spoiler

O I see. Thanks for tips chingu! 

14 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@Heidi Seow ya ya i love independent characters more and with happy easy going style. Thats why I suggest her & Rooda in soompi woman feminism event lol.

Haha actually KJH and SHS have more chemistry than with KOB they even hold hand muahahahah :mrgreen:

onight lets dream abt man in uniform lol lol... @gm4queen

Lols. The holding hand part are so funny. I wonder what are they thinking actually. 

Ok, spare my your dream power @Lawyerh See I can dream on my fav oppa or not. 

3 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

haha since were talking about delicious scenes..I think even KJH acknowledge it here @Lawyerh, @triplem@Heidi Seow@gm4queen

Hahaha, the way he at JHM is epic, TOP TO TOE. :lol: I really like their bromance relationship. If they are not enemy for this drama, I'm sure their chemistry must be epic than this one. 

19 minutes ago, Heidi Seow said:

Hahaha, the way he at JHM is epic, TOP TO TOE. :lol: I really like their bromance relationship. If they are not enemy for this drama, I'm sure their chemistry must be epic than this one. 

Haha yea interesting chemistry/bromance even for mundane things like ....love their banter.

sorry @triplem I know you like Hee seop sim, but then if any girl sees Ji Hwan and any other man, who will she choose?? I guess @Lawyerh @Heidi Seow @phoenix24 already know the answer :D

while I was watching, the only thing I noticed about Hee seop sim was his strange expressions, I don't know whether he is smiling or frowning, reminding me of the mysterious Monaliza smile. Otherwise, I just wanted Ji Hwan to have more scenes, because really I guess this is one of the rare shows where he appears less on screen

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching the drama with the unclear subs, I understand most of it, but I have a question, does the pastor kill the 31 people years ago to get rid of the politician's pregnant mistress? another question, why was the pastor using orphans? what was the medicine he gave them every day??

@nohamahamoud2002 There were two reasons for the mass killings:

First is the fierce competition in the presidential elections at the time, with the gap in support ratings between the two candidates being a mere 3%. If the pregnant mistress of leading candidate Cheon is revealed by the opposition party, the scandal would tip the balance in the opposition candidate's favour, giving them a free ticket to the Blue House. Prosecutor Guk's job is to ensure that this does not happen.

The other reason is the fact that the residents of the Cheon Guk Welfare Center have exposed the wrongdoings of Pastor Wang and Baek Do Gyu in their letter to Prosecutor Guk, which also voiced their concerns about the "vitamins" given daily to the children. The so-called vitamins are actually children's antibiotics which are being manufactured and sold, and the children are being used as test subjects of clinical trials to test the side effects of the antibiotics.

With the mistress being sent to hide out at Cheon Guk Welfare Center, the mass killings of which she is a victim, serve to silence her, and divert the public's attention from any rumours of a pregnant mistress to the terrible tragedy, thus ensuring no scandal rocks Candidate Cheon's election campaign. In addition, Pastor Wang and co. are able to get rid of the people who threaten to expose all their dirty secrets, including illegal clinical trials, abuse, murder, thus enabling them to escape punishment for their crimes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I trust OCN to deliver and they usually do. After a slow and bloody start, this show found its groove and was actually a lot of fun. Subs weren't great most of the time but I managed. If anyone knows where I can find C subs... no idea what the Chinese title for this is... please let me know because that would be 10X better than what I've been able to glean from the E subs. I was hoping to catch it on Netflix but so far nothing.

I adored our leads in their respective roles... the way they were written as individuals and as a team was the highlight in a rather run-of-the-mill Kdrama conspiracy. And the actors gave consistently great performances. This must be my favourite role of Kang Ji Hwan... he was very funny and he does funny pretty well. Kim Ok Vin is always reliable. They had a similar dynamic to the leads in Detective L except the UST is less overt in this. Both of them were very cool and wonderfully determined. Despite their differences in skill sets and personality, they were always on the same page with regards to the endgame. It was yin and yang (very literally) working harmoniously and they complemented one another better than couples in many romance k dramas I've seen. My feeling at the end is that they were in some kind of dating relationship... a bit ambiguous because of the subs I was looking at... but he, at least, certainly wants more than just a collegial relationship with her at the end.

Meglomania seemed to be the order of the day. The key villains joined hands, got away with murder and thought themselves above the law because they didn't believe they could get caught. And of course they did get away with it for 24 years because people looked the other way and help expedite the smooth transition of burying the truth. Some did it out of ambition, others were truly brainwashed into thinking they were doing "God's work" or that things are just the way they are. But golly... the viciousness in which the pastor's minions carried out orders was appalling. Words fail me with regards to CEO Baek and his treatment of the children at the home. The abuse to defraud the insurance company beggars belief. I don't feel too sorry for Ju Ha Min but I'm not unsympathetic to how he was brainwashed into a state of Stockholm Syndrome. However, there's no denying he actively fed the beast and helped perpetuate the very system that imprisoned him...  In the end it took the power of Byeol to break those bonds. His survival and quiet life as the owner of a small convenience store says a lot more about the kind of person CJI than anything about what HJM deserved.

One of my favourite bits was when CJI allowed himself to be thrown into prison to gain access to the island chief and pump him for information about the ledger. It was funny to see them use the 10 plagues of Egypt from Exodus to frighten the fellow out of his wits. That was a lot of fun.

It was very disappointing (and heartbreaking for CJI) to learn that CJI's adopted father was behind the deaths of his parents and sister. But it makes sense that elements of the police colluded with the Big Bad. So all in all it was a much bigger conspiracy than we were initially led to think.

Thankfully this show gave us closure (didn't get that from Detective L unfortunately) the good guys prevailed and the baddies got their just desserts. The last major action sequence in the dinosaur expo building had Die Hard resonances. Heh. He was even picking off one pastor's minion at a time. I personally thought that Baek A-Hyun got off lightly considering she was going to chop up a young fellow for his organs. But yeah... it's good to know that there's no more limited edition designer goods for her in the near future. Unless of course she finds a chaebol family to marry into... which would be unlikely considering her family history.

@40somethingahjumma The Chinese title is 小神的孩子们. And yes, the C-subs are far better than available English subs. I hope too that we will see it on Netflix or VIU one day.

Though not without its flaws, the drama is a captivating one - cleverly balancing the horrific, heartbreaking and humorous moments.  The soundtrack is haunting and memorable, an interesting eclectic mix - from the quaint and dramatic combination of the opening theme, to the impassioned fervour of "Go to Find the Truth", both of which move me immeasurably and pulses with an added layer of poignancy as I associate scenes to them.

I really enjoyed the performances of the cast, particularly the three leads. KJH certainly has excellent comedic timing and is the source of a much-needed balance in an erstwhile dark premise. In particular, I had a good laugh over CJI's soulful karaoke number which his gobsmacked audience could not understand, but is basically a listing of the periodic table - probably the method Korean high-schoolers used to memorise all the elements :D Dan's relationship with her adopted father, and the tragic bond of Apollo, Popeye and Byul still makes my heart ache so much.

My only gripe is one of mixed feelings. Much as I root for JHM, I can't explain his fate without throwing logic out the door. I do love that his loyalties, misguided, skewed or otherwise, remain unclear to us until the last moment, but still that ending defies explanation with the final showdown feeling rather forced and far-fetched. Nonetheless, it is a relatively minor hiccup in an excellent drama overall, buoyed by brilliant performances and characterisations.

@triplem It is definitely a shame that barring the first 4-5 eps, there are no proper English subs to date. Wonder what could be the reason, and find it pretty surprising considering it is from OCN. Are there many such dramas? Now I'm concerned whether the upcoming Channel A drama will suffer the same fate :crazy: 

JHM evokes dread and sadness at the same time, and is an interesting, grey character that keeps me guessing. I just take issue with the saccharine-sweet outcome, and how it came about - which I still fail to wrap my mind around. Some of my favourite scenes are of him and CJI - their ridiculously absurd rivalry - the dinner, ramyun, and even the petty jealousy during the karaoke session :D Love it! In any case, regardless of how I feel about JHM's fate was written, SHS truly made the role his own, and I look forward to his future works.

Archived