Quantcast
meechuttso

OFFICIAL JiAn-Hyuk JoGak-Sculpture-Couple Thread (Shin HyeSun ❤ Lee TaeHwan)

I found a clip of the fathers meeting

but they were talking about taking care of Ji Soo! :( It looked also very official with the presence of Nam Goo and Hee! And the worst  is Ji An was nowhere close to them.

There's no sense to this scene, it's with Ji An that Hyuk's father built a deep,  respectful and authentic relationship on personal and professional levels.

One  thing she did when she felt better was to buy a gift for her father and Hyuk's father, the same gift for the two old men. She gave the gifts personally to them on the day she was ready to send Do Kyung to Europe. It was a pretty clear sign that she was ready to move on with Hyuk. They need to pick up at that point and follow their road together, as if Do Kyung has never interrupted.   

I knew that logically Ji Soo and Hyuk's breakup couldn't happen before Tae Soo's death but i'm still feeling impatient to see the end of it.

If Min Jung follows on her plan to leave Seoul with Ji Tae and his wife and live with them to help them to raise their child, Ji Soo will be left without parents and basically forced to rely on her bio family. The Choi parents seem ready now, since the threat of divorce has been dismissed to welcome her and offer her a real home. And she needs to work and find a proper job: selling bread on internet is not a way to realize her dream. I really believe going abroad will do her good....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last thoughts on Hyuk and Ji Soo's breakup:

@mglthrw8 I can't find anymore your lines to quote you exactly ( our posts have been too long!)  but you mentioned about ep 50 how to watch Hyuk uses the letter to reconcile with Ji Soo made you sick and sad, especially since he will  probably never know who wrote it. 

You said too that you found difficult to imagine that Ji An would date Hyuk while she knows Ji Soo is in love with him.  

Because what you said stayed stuck in my mind, I rewatched their scenes and i noticed few new things..

When Ji Soo joined him at the café, Hyuk read two importants things: the confession letter and one precise comment that Ji Soo left on his blog when she thought she was leaving abroad.

It seems to me that the two points can be definitively mixed up to push her to end her relationship with Hyuk.

She knows that Ji An wrote the letter and she knows that Hyuk, as he confirmed when they left the café, started to notice her and like her only after he read the letter.

I think that she can easily make the connection between the two things to understand that he fell for Ji An's words before falling for her and was misguided when he started to like her, thinking she was capable of a sensitivity/honesty that attracts him deeply but which is not hers.

At this point, it should be enough for her to reconsider her feelings. I think she already started, given how she insisted few times that they were only dating.  Like i said maybe Tae Soo's death and Min Jung's departure will finish to push her to cut the last links that she had with her past life: she can't live at the Seo House, she's not working anymore at the bakery, her bio family is now ready for her  and she feels tempted to get closer of them as she confessed to Hyuk. 

He's the only link to her old self and one she did prepare herself to cut when she almost went abroad: the comment on his blog that Hyuk remembered so well said that she wished him to date someone who he will get to know over a long time.  

This line is clearly designed to direct him to Ji An...     

So if Hyuk can't know the truth and would continue to date her, blissfully ignoring the rest, Ji Soo on the other hand definitely does and she should be the one to end the misunderstanding that all their relationship was. Not only she must free him, she must also give her blessing for him and Ji An to be together. She never did anything  to repair what she took from Ji An all those years, to help her start a new happy life would be a great farewell gift and conclusion for the ex sisters...

The more i write about it, the more if feel that's the only ending possible....   

• Like 3

Ep 51: i'll be totally off topic but i need to react....

• Tae Soo and Ji An stole the show completely.
  • One of the thing that i appreciate a lot about asian dramas it's how they try to show death as part of life and not something that we should necessarily fear or hate: It's rather the end of a cycle. The peaceful and beautiful scenery picked  by the director when Tae Soo went to find with Ji An a place where to bury him emphasized this vision very well. I'm grateful that the writer offered us this side too and not only the painful memories (the physical pain Tae Soo suffered). It has become my favourite scene of the drama.      
  • Tae Soo gave to Ji An powerful arguments about how it will never be the right time for him. If he could wait until she become a mother, he will want to see too his grandchildren grow up....
  • The concert was beautifully done: everything was perfect. The place, the organization, the music, the fact that Hyuk (i'm sure it's him though it wasn't said in the drama) decided to involve the people who were living with Ji An and him in the sharehouse (they're like an extended family). The absence of Do Kyung was so liberating!  I enjoyed a lot  the irony coming from the fact that was forced to hide while his ex secretary was invited!   

Nothing romantic, but Hyuk's involvement warmed my heart: he drove Ji An and Tae Soo, and the rest of the family to the nursing home, he brought people for the concert etc... His mother died when he was a child from a brain tumor: so it was certainly not  easy for him. 

I'm happy that he got to make his father met Tae Soo: it was important for him and he was proud of him as shown when he scold his father fro depreciating himself.

On the romance front, Ji Soo kept lurking around the bakery and apologized to Hee for not breaking up with Hyuk, she looked  as someone who is lost and doesn't know how to cut ties. I felt that she doesn't know what to do with herself and with her life. So i think this question of the break up will be adressed once for good during ep 52...

• Like 3

I enjoyed reading all your comments and analysis on this thread.

What a way to end a drama that had so much potential. The worst kind of ending with the OTP just staring. Stalker to the end.

• Like 2

Thanks @cp23 for taking time to read our ramblings and for bringing some positive thoughts during those last hard days!:cookie:

The reviews for the finale seem very negative but to judge i'll wait to see the episode with subs. 

Seems the writer kept until the very end her obsession for illogical last minute twist, which made the characters denied what they fight for. 

So we got deprived from our healthy romance but Hyuk and Ji An are still best friends and their friendship is still kicking as much as ever despite their pathetic love life. At least they can count on each other for understanding and support when Ji Soo and Do Kyung will make them miserable with their selfishness and immaturity....

A last pic of Hyuk and Ji An posted by LTH: it's SHS's back which unrecognizable because of the wig (it's so horrible, it makes me want to weep)!

DYAu2E6VMAEuTBh.jpg

• Like 3

Just finished 52. *long sigh

Hilarious montage near the end with DK popping up in the background of every scene Ji An was in. And then him showing up in Helsinki. Unbelievable.

So let me get this straight. After Ji An breaks up with DK in the café, he doesn’t see or have contact with her for a year. And his great idea upon her return from Finland is to play an elaborate game of stalking and deception where he arranges a fake “blind” date and fake “chance” encounters with her. He even enlists the help of her best friend Myung Shin. Good god.

Here’s how Ji An’s conversation with Myung Shin should have really went after DK tries to enlist her help:

JA: Hey MS what’s up?

MS: Remember DK?

JA: Ugh I’m trying to forget.

MS: Well I ran into him just now and he asked for my help in an arranging a fake blind date with you when you get back from Finland. He asked me to pretend that I broke up with my bf and then booked a blind date to get over him. I’m supposed to call you to tell you I got back together with my bf and ask you to go in my place for the blind date where DK will show up. He also asked to report on your whereabouts when you’re back. Absolutely insane right?

JA: Good god are you serious? Please tell me you’re joking! What did you tell him?

MS: I wish I was joking. I was so stunned that I could only stammer out “no” and then I turned and ran. That was 20 minutes ago. I would have called you immediately but I was shaking so hard that it took me a while to compose myself before I could call you. I’m still trembling.

JA: I’m so so so so so so sorry you had to go through that.

MS: No need to worry about me. I’ll be fine. We’re best friends and I’d do anything for you. You’re the one I’m worried about. You really need to watch out for him when you get back. I’m pretty sure you’ll have a “chance” encounter with him somewhere. You can’t see but I’m using sarcastic air quotes.

JA: Thanks for looking out for me. Why on earth would he think that you’d help him with this insane stunt?

Crazy ending but all in all I’m still glad I watched MGL. Thank you @titania1000 @meechuttso @Ni Wen @cp23 so much for the great conversations.

And MGL introduced me to the wonderful actress Shin Hye Sun. I’ll give a chance to any project she does next.

I’d like to think the real ending is the friends we made along the way!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WorthlessTreasureTwist

• Like 4

@mglthrw8 I wonder if you had considered renaming yourself - 'mgl' in your name forever? If you do reincarnate, do let us know, although I think I can recognize your clear thinking writing that stands out every time.

I liked your rewrite, but I was puzzled, wondering if you saw the last 5 minutes of the Ep 52.

I was ready to move on, but this writer actually managed to blow my mind beyond expectation - it was so revolting, so perverse, even sadistic what this writer was doing with the flashback of every stalking scene by DK and how he had colluded with her dumb friend Myung-Shin (variation on Byung-Shin, which mean idiot!) to bald-faced lie about the 'chance' seeing of him sit by his truck, then the ridiculous 'blind' date, how he was at every scene just ***ing stalking her.

OMG with the #MeToo prosecutions (and suicide of an accused well known actor) raging on in SK like this lately I can't believe how the writer could completely endorse this stalking behavior and the blatant DECEIT for this so called 'relationship' he's trying to 'start from clean slate'. OMG. This does reenforce your kokoschka theory, but the most revolting part was her fondling that voodoo doll of him she had made even after all that.

DK's invoking her father's comment near the end when he says, "before I was pursuing you for my own selfish needs, but this time it's different because now I am carrying out your father's wishes, and (instead of WAITING on her for what her needs are) STALKING YOU for your own good" - in fact, it was clear that he never stopped stalking her AT ALL!  He invokes the dead man and twists his words to just keep going on with that scary as s**t stalking!

But even with all that, kokoschka or not, the really crazy one isn't him. It's her, Jianny. She's the one with the serious mental illness. And I am so sad that that's what our SHS had to work with.

I am negatively energized enough to add my final thoughts to the main thread, maybe tomorrow, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

@titania1000  , @cp23 , @Ni wen , everyone, see you all in another thread somewhere IF we recover, chingoos!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, meechuttso said:

but I was puzzled, wondering if you saw the last 5 minutes of the Ep 52

I think this show may have broken something in me so you'll have to explain this slowly :(

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the main thread.

I wonder if you had considered renaming yourself - 'mgl' in your name forever?

I think I will keep mgl in name. I will bear the shame and disgrace of it. Marked for life! My dark origin story at soompi!

I was ready to move on, but this writer actually managed to blow my mind beyond expectation - it was so revolting, so perverse, even sadistic what this writer was doing

OMG with the #MeToo prosecutions (and suicide of an accused well known actor) raging on in SK like this lately I can't believe how the writer could completely endorse this stalking behavior and the blatant DECEIT for this so called 'relationship' he's trying to 'start from clean slate'.

"before I was pursuing you for my own selfish needs, but this time it's different because now I am carrying out your father's wishes, and (instead of WAITING on her for what her needs are) STALKING YOU for your own good" - in fact, it was clear that he never stopped stalking her AT ALL!  He invokes the dead man and twists his words to just keep going on with that scary as s**t stalking!

Everything you say is true. I should feel more disgust than I actually do. I think that may be my brain protecting itself. Instead I just feel numb and baffled. 

The episode was so aggressively awful that I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all. The writer reveals herself to have complete and utter contempt for her audience. DK was so aggressively unrepentant (a clean slate!)  that it veered into parody for me. Maybe that's why I'm not even angry. It's just...absurd.

I just can't reconcile the writer who wrote episode 50 with the writer who wrote episode 52. If I didn't know better I would almost think that the writer was ordered by her bosses at the network to give a happy ending and passively aggressively responded with what we saw in ep 52. If I didn't know better I would would almost think the writer was trying to provoke a controversy with the #metoo movement going on. Silently protesting her bosses by giving us that horror-parody ending.

But I do know better now. No higher motives. Just contempt for us.

Edited by mglthrw8
  • Like 4

@titania1000 @mglthrw8 @meechuttso

I am also puzzled as to why the actor playing DK with his scandal would allow the ending of the show to have him following and watching JA so many times. Some say on other threads that it is not stalking, it is part of the culture in SK. The irony is that the ending of this drama may not help further his career (the timing is bad, with all the sexual harassment charges and recent suicides by those accused).

• Like 4

What a strange episode! 

It started with a very honest emotional punch and it ended with a clever twist, which made me reconsider the real nature of the drama.

It looked and felt like those films noir from the Golden Age of Hollywood where at the end of story, when it seemed that the good characters  find a way finally to  get out of their misery and are on their path to redemption/ happiness, fate hit them  again  in the form of a brutal and ironic twist, wich kept them stuck in their loop or even worse dead.    

That sums up the situation of Ji An, forced to endure her purgatory with Do Kyung, where he will indefinitely chase her, unable to hear her rejection, too weak to get over his obsession and to move on while knowing very well that she knows too clearly his tricks to ever accept again his "love".     

There's a lot to say but i will keep it short for now for a lack of time. 

To stay on the topic: On Hyuk and Ji An

On the romance front, it's a failure, on the friendship front, it's a complete success. 

• They are totally intimate with each other, they didn't see each other during one year but when they met at the airport, it was like their last meeting was yesterday. Their smiles, their jokes, how they felt comfortable around each other, how they touched was just a treat to watch in the very short interactions they had. 
  • Hyuk  is family now for Ji An: he's been at the burial but also at the one year's anniversary etc.. I don't think anything could separate them even if it doesn't work with Ji Soo.   
  • Their relationship has been downgraded to the second most important in the drama after the father/daughter one, but it's still a good place to be. My only regret is that Tae Soo didn't get to know what Hyuk did for Ji An. Those three really have something special and i'm glad that in this mess, the drama made a place for them to exist.            

This drama has for core concept the desillusion linked to the loss of one's dreams: those grand ambitions that we all have, which pushed us to be perfectionist (Myung Hee), to be too ambitious and work too hard (Ji An), to be in permanent control ( Do Kyung), to spend years looking for our first love dreaming to be reunited with an ideal version of this person (Hyuk), or to be so self absorbed that we can only see ourselves (Ji Soo). 

The desilllusion/hard lesson for Hyuk was the loss of his first love and his decision to accept a romance that will guarantee him to not end alone.  

I feel for the few scenes that they had that Hyuk and Ji Soo are taking the same road as Min Jung and Tae Soo: he didn't pick the woman who admired and respected him the most (to compare it to Tae Soo and his friend's wife), but the one who seemed to love him the most, but the hard truth is that she loves herself more. The fact that she has no serious consideration for his feelings about marriage and that she's just doing what she wants says it all.

She doesn't need financially to secure her situation before marrying him because she obviously has her family support to buy the bakery. She will have their help if her business doesn't work or if her marriage turns so bad that she would be forced to divorce.

But yet she let no place for him to explain his point of view or his frustration. It was her call, and that's all. 

She took quickly the upper hand in their relationship: she started by following his advice and respecting his opinion when he suggested to share her time between the two houses and assume her double identity (that's what she explained to Ji An),  but now she's making all the plans (the bakery, the marriage) alone. Im afraid their marriage will only consolidate this unbalanced situation. Hyuk won't be happy, it's certain but he went too far: like he said, he took him too long to fall for her... 

On 12/03/2018 at 2:15 PM, mglthrw8 said:

Everything you say is true. I should feel more disgust than I actually do. I think that may be my brain protecting itself. Instead I just feel numb and baffled. 

The episode was so aggressively awful that I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all. The writer reveals herself to have complete and utter contempt for her audience. DK was so aggressively unrepentant (a clean slate!)  that it veered into parody for me. Maybe that's why I'm not even angry. It's just...absurd.

If it can help you, i don't feel any disgust: i even actually enjoyed the episode even though i disagree a lot with its content. 

I just can't reconcile the writer who wrote episode 50 with the writer who wrote episode 52. 

Imo, there's no inconsistency here between the two episodes if we look closely at the dialogues: Ji An never accepted him. She accepted the chase because she was troubled by her lingering feelings. But it was never said or suggested that she will give in, especially considering that she still find him selfish and rude and told him honestly her thoughts.  Also she realized when he followed her to Finland that he was indeed waiting the right time to get out of his hideout and carefully planned all his moves.

She didn't know the extend of it but she knows him enough to find a way to get the details: for example how he came the day of her father's funeral but stayed in the parking lot unable to face her rejection, not even brave enough to show his respects to the man who according to him gave him permission to marry his daughter; but nonetheless in the most undignified possible way, still asked Myung Shin to call him if she heard about her. He used that precise day to make a move. Ji An is not a fool: she will know it and will continue to despise him, doll or not doll. 

If I didn't know better I would almost think that the writer was ordered by her bosses at the network to give a happy ending and passively aggressively responded with what we saw in ep 52. If I didn't know better I would would almost think the writer was trying to provoke a controversy with the #metoo movement going on. Silently protesting her bosses by giving us that horror-parody ending.

That's only my opinion, but i believe in those cases of leads that don't end up together because of the turn taken by the relationship, that the writer's will can be pretty clearly deduced from the fact that they didn't end up together. 

She could have redeemed Do Kyung several times since Ji An came back from Incheon and make her relationship with him acceptable and she chose to not do it.

She was clearly pressured by the network with the best couple award (she didn't attend the ceremony) and i talked already about the clash on social networks with fans. At one point,  it became so violent, that Kbs was forced to close their own forum...    

I don't think however it's related to the #metoo movement: she knew the end before starting the drama based on her elaborate construction of the plot and the movement didn't exist in july of last year....

I don't know if she made a coup but its' worth to notice that Ji An ended officially alone. A possibility  that i rejected completely  considering the place of romance in korean society.    

I'll come back later with more thoughts because this episode wasn't as bad as it seems, though it didn't live up to our expectations.... 

• Like 4

@mglthrw8

More quick thoughts about the last episode and Hyuk and Ji An

I don't want to force anyone to believe that it's happy ending for us, but  since the end can be understand in different ways:  i need to emphasize few points that are important imo.

I said that on the romance front  it's a failure for us shippers but the truth is more nuanced: they didn't even try. They stopped at the door of the romance and didn't know what to do after. Could they have end together without other's people meddling to tell them what they should feel? We'll never know.

To me, they seemed on the road to fall in love and i stick to it!

But i can't deny the merits of the realistic approach taken by the writer: 

• just because you met your high school crush ten years after by accident doesn't mean necessarily, you're fated to fall in love with them all over again. I this case, what happened after they met again gave a new sense to their relationship which goes far beyond romance: how Ji An inspired Hyuk to find his dream and career and how he helped her back in return guided by his admiration/love. 
  • Happiness doesn't equal romantic love: in the end, the men who  supported the most and went the further to help Ji  An were her best friend and her father. Those fatherly love and platonic love were enough to help her feel complete.
  • It's one of the rare occurrence in a drama when  a man and women helped and support each other many ways and didn't ended romantically involved or bitter for their only friends status . They're not alone in the drama Ji ho and Seo Hyun took the same road, but it's more remarkable because they are leads, and in the end all the more because Ji An ended single. 

I can confirm that i don't feel any resentment because in the end her love for her father, their complex relationship took ultimately all the place in her life.

I don't have anymore the energy to do a line by line explanation of Tae Soo's last scene with Do Kyung but their conversation just like everything Do Kyung said in this episode was such a clear case of miscommunication: sometimes provoked by Tae Soo in order to borrow enough time for Ji An to fly away, sometimes just because Do Kyung was so completely focused on himself that he missed all the clues.

Not only Do Kyung forgot completely he came to apologize for his grandfather's offenses and instead spoke only about Ji An, he also added more offenses: look at Tae Soo's face when Do Kyung admitted breaking her heart and it got even worse when he told him all the details of their story, especially when Tae Soo got the  confirmation that all his efforts to spare his daughter to know the humiliations he suffered were ruined!  .

I loved how it was so clear in her father's head that the "cut was too big, that the scab will took a long time to fall off, that Do Kyung was just whining irresponsibly after forcing her in this relationship from which she tried for long to stay away. 

The last offense when Tae Soo noticed that Do Kyung was smiling. Someone could say that his line: "smile and wait until Ji An comes around if you can " was a sign of support, for me it's rather his way to tell Do Kyung that he will wait forever, that she will never change her heart because her father's pain will stay always in her mind.

Once again, look at his face when Do Kyung said he can wait. Tae Soo was angry/worried/somber. 

To the wrong interpretation of this conversation, Ji An opposed the truth of  the beautiful last conversation between father and daughter under the tree: all about marrying someone she can breath freely around, someone she needs and someone who would feel the same around her.

It was the only frustrating moment because: how to not think about the period  she shared with Hyuk in the wood workshop and in the sharehouse when they came back from incheon? It hurt even more when Ji An wondered if it was possible for her to meet such a person... You did, Ji An, you already did and sadly  you let him go and won't find someone like him before a long time.

A man who she can breath freely around is definitely not Do Kyung: after he promised to not put any pressure on her, to wait one more year like she asked  until she comes back to Korea to reconsider their relationship, he jumped on the first flight to follow her and wait for her until she finish work! 

He learnt nothing during the year spent waiting for her based on the last montage: he's still the same manipulative, liar, rough and selfish man that he always has been and if all her father's advices and hardship are supposed to not be enough to stop her to fall for him, why did the writer avoid to show it?  

It's not only about respecting the timeline and characters pace for healing: because all of this could have been avoided if the writer didn't introduce the last twist of ep50 or she could have written  a longer time jump to show them together.

She didn't and that's an important message sent for Ji An and for us.

Thank you @mglthrw8 for being so kind to read and answer my long posts, full of complain. 

It has been a real treat to share all those thoughts with you.

You're without a doubt one of the member of this forum with who i enjoyed he most to interact, and now that i'm thinking to leave this forum for good (closing my account too), i know that i will miss our discussions a lot!

I'll say a last goodbye before leaving for good! So see you soon! 

• Like 2

@titania1000 

I really hope you’ll come back when SHS’s next big project starts (let’s pray she picks a good one!)

I joined this forum mainly because of your and @meechuttso's posts. One of your very best insights was to see DK as a Rochester like figure and Ji An as Jane.

You’ve convinced me that MGL’s ending is more interesting, ambiguous and open ended than I originally thought. A less definitive ending than Jane Eyre’s in fact.

DK as Rochester is what led me to search for some literary clue or parallel in the show where I eventually stumbled on the Kokoschka reference.

Our discussions here have always been immensely enjoyable and rewarding even as the show remained frustrating.

So please please consider returning to the forum eventually.

On 3/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, titania1000 said:

That sums up the situation of Ji An, forced to endure her purgatory with Do Kyung, where he will indefinitely chase her, unable to hear her rejection, too weak to get over his obsession and to move on while knowing very well that she knows too clearly his tricks to ever accept again his "love".     

Stuck in purgatory is a good way of putting it.

Ji An will eventually discover the full extent of DK’s deception, stalking and manipulation and break off contact. DK will retreat for a while but of course will return. She’ll leave a little crack and the cycle will repeat. Depressing to think about.

I’m still flabbergasted that DK even arranged for Ji An to catch sight of him eating by his truck.

I think the happy upbeat music was what partially fooled me into believing the show completely endorsed all of his actions. But you’re right to argue that a close look at the particulars of the dialogue and how the shots were framed complicates things. I loved the black and white freeze frame at the end with the big gap separating the silhouettes of DK and Ji An.

This drama has for core concept the desillusion linked to the loss of one's dreams: those grand ambitions that we all have, which pushed us to be perfectionist (Myung Hee), to be too ambitious and work too hard (Ji An), to be in permanent control ( Do Kyung), to spend years looking for our first love dreaming to be reunited with an ideal version of this person (Hyuk), or to be so self absorbed that we can only see ourselves (Ji Soo). 

The desilllusion/hard lesson for Hyuk was the loss of his first love and his decision to accept a romance that will guarantee him to not end alone.  

A very fine insight!  Despite its title ‘My Golden Life’, the show seems to be surprisingly pessimistic about our capacity and ability to change as people.

Ji Soo ends the show basically unchanged from where she started. She’s incredibly sweet, loving, passionate and stubborn. But she’s also childish, immature and self-absorbed. For better and for worse, the events and upheavals in her life have not altered her core character. Troublingly, she remains the same person who slapped her twin sister without even giving her a chance to explain anything.

Regarding poor Hyuk, remember when Yong Gook criticized him for having a guardian complex with the people he cares about? Yong Gook basically told Hyuk that he should move forward with a simple uncomplicated relationship with Ji Soo. So it’s a really cruel irony that he will continue to play at being the guardian indefinitely with Ji Soo. Hyuk will have to continue to intervene from time to time to rescue their relationship because of Ji Soo’s immaturity and childish antics. But the show makes it very clear that Hyuk bears responsibility for his situation. If he didn’t call Ji Soo out on the very stupid ‘brother as fake boyfriend ploy’ he wouldn’t be with her. If he didn’t lower his dignity by participating in the ‘fake date with Bread Pitt’, he wouldn’t be with her. One of the very strange and interesting things about the show is that to the very end they show Hyuk and Ji Soo as being fairly incompatible. They’re never shown to be fully in sync with each other. In episode 52, as you’ve noted she completely dismisses his concerns about marriage and is going her own way. Hyuk is tense and cringing at her driving. It’s played for laughs but I wonder…

That Ji Soo and Hyuk aren’t married at the end and she doesn’t even treat his needs seriously makes me wonder…

Other characters in the show who never change are DK’s grandfather and mother. The show very deliberately chooses not to punish either character. Jae sung is able to change somewhat but there are limits. He leaves Haesung and becomes a professor but remains in his marriage. And he won’t ever undo the damage of lost time as shown in that sad meal with his daughter.

That's only my opinion, but i believe in those cases of leads that don't end up together because of the turn taken by the relationship, that the writer's will can be pretty clearly deduced from the fact that they didn't end up together. 

She could have redeemed Do Kyung several times since Ji An came back from Incheon and make her relationship with him acceptable and she chose to not do it.

No character exemplifies the show’s skepticism towards the capacity for change more than DK. I was truly shocked at how aggressively the show intended to demonstrate DK’s lack of change. It was really hard watching him twist the words of Ji An’s father for his own purposes. I don’t even think it was intentionally malicious. He just doesn’t understand and probably never will.

You’re so right that the show had so many opportunities to redeem DK in conventional ways after Incheon but deliberately refrained from doing so. Even in episode 52, the writer could have structured a more conventional redemption and change for DK but chose not to do so. The writer could have made the Dk and Ji An blind date be the product of genuine random chance. The message would then be that it was destiny and they were fated to end up together. But everything was revealed to be cold calculation and manipulation. The writer could have made DK take Tae Soo’s words to heart and really try to reform himself but that did not happen. The writer could have shown DK acting with openness and honesty by requesting a meeting with Ji An through Ji Soo. Instead he approaches Ji An’s best friend and enlists her in his scheme. Even at the very end, DK simply could not honor Ji An’s words. He just had to show up in Helsinki.

Ji An changes more than anyone in the show but even she has her limits. Despite everything, her feelings for DK remain. In episode 50 and 51, the show explicitly says that DK did nothing for her after he left Haesung  except whine to her (the writer is so completely contemptuous of his seaweed soup and necklace). But her feelings linger. Despite him ignoring her request to wait, she can’t help but smile at DK in Helsinki.

The words of her father offer her some protection but it’s also limited. She may never fully accept DK but she has not shown the ability to fully reject him.

I used to think it was just bad writing but the constant repetition of Ji An-DK final (false) farewells and vows to never see each other again may have been done to make the writer’s theme about the extreme difficulty of change. I guess the show really only could have ended in the final shot of them across the room from each other, their ultimate fate forever unsettled.

Real change, the kind that Hyuk went through when he met Ji An in high school and the kind that Ji An goes through after Incheon with Hyuk’s help is presented almost as a kind of divine intervention.

The flashback of Hyuk first encountering Ji An sawing wood is one of the show’s most wonderful scenes. Hyuk calls Ji An his ‘spring’. He goes from delinquent to successful business man because of her. He had to put in the hard work himself but he needed to encounter her. Likewise Ji An put in a lot of hard work towards her dream but Hyuk spotting her in Incheon, caring for her, then returning home to put her to work in the woodshop were all crucial. And that notebook he kept…

It just occurred to me that an alternate interpretation of Hyuk’s declining romantic interest in Ji An is that he stops being interested precisely at the time Ji An no longer needs his guardianship. Hyuk also can’t change in some ways.

23 hours ago, titania1000 said:

Here comes the beautiful last conversation between father and daughter under the tree about marrying someone she can breath freely around, someone she needs and someone who would feel the same around her.

It was the only frustrating moment because how to not think about the period  she shared with Hyuk in the wood workshop and in the sharehouse when they came back from incheon? It hurt too when Ji An asked if she can meet such a person...

A man who she can breath freely around is definitely not Do Kyung: after he promised to not put any pressure on her, to wait until she comes back to Korea like she asked to reconsider their relationship, he jumped on the first flight to follow her and wait for her until she finish work. He learnt nothing during the year spent waiting for her based on the last montage: he's still the same manipulative, liar, rough and selfish man that he always has been and if all her father's advices and hardship are supposed to not be enough to stop her to fall for him, why did the writer avoid to show it?  

That’s right. Ji An has never breathed easily around DK. And while she may never think of Hyuk that way, I’d like to think he’s modeled the kind of love and care she should expect from a partner. Maybe the open ending was the best we could have expected.

• Like 2

After 6 months, I am able to put enough distance from the trauma of this drama and add likes to your last 2 posts @titania1000 and @mglthrw8.

Hyuk picks up Jianny in the rain, Ep 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXIxp5BtUf0

Hyuk tells Jianny why he went into carpentry / furniture work (I guess Ep 5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzokbCtt9Xk

These clips don't allow embedding.

So I found some recent IG posts:

These are quite a bit later in the story and so not my favorites (all near Inchon when he finds her and nurses her back to health), but still they're nice to see again.

SHS and MGL are on the nominees list for couple of different awards in October, and I think those will help determine the legacy of this crazy disturbing drama that consumed much of 7+ months of my life. :crazy:

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 7:55 AM, meechuttso said:

Hyuk picks up Jianny in the rain, Ep 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXIxp5BtUf0

Hyuk tells Jianny why he went into carpentry / furniture work (I guess Ep 5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzokbCtt9Xk

These are quite a bit later in the story and so not my favorites (all near Inchon when he finds her and nurses her back to health), but still they're nice to see again

Thank you chingu for bringing back those happy memories.:) 

I'm happy for you that you finally can get over your disappointment and start to appreciate the best parts again!

For all its flaws, MGL gave me so many perfect moments for my otp! :heart:

And the cherry on the top, is that it was never beaten by any other relationship in the drama, except the one Ji An had with her father.

Rewatching those scenes which were at the very start of the drama, i wonder how i could have doubt that they were meant to be.:love:

If KBS  didn't try so hard to promote a controversial star, if the audience have been more respectful of the character integrity, we could have it all.

I still maintain that the writer wanted to give her heroine the path given to the Good Wife main female character played by Jeon Do Yeon. It would have been magnificent for Ji An to have the sema fate: to be  released from any male influence and just picked her own choices and followed her heart.

Shedeserved that. 

SHS and MGL are on the nominees list for couple of different awards in October, and I think those will help determine the legacy of this crazy disturbing drama that consumed much of 7+ months of my life. :crazy:

I was surprised to see that the drama was still nominated for few awards: i almost forgot it aired this year! 

I couldn't watch anything else during the broadcast, but being consumed was also something so intense!

I mean i didn't get from my last dramas this level of thrills while they were all crime dramas!

Or maybe it's just SHS's effect on me! :lol:

Anyway, i need to reread this thread and to find new things to chew on! 

• LOL 1

I don't know where to post this: it's a reply to few of @meechuttso posts in MGL thread. 

I still don't feel comfortable to write in this place, so i'll comment here!

On 10/1/2018 at 9:45 AM, meechuttso said:

Feeling strange to come back to this lost child thread of my obsession starting from over a year ago.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Golden_Life

2018 54th Baeksang Arts Awards Best Drama My Golden Life Nominated [19]
Best Actor Chun Ho-jin Nominated
Best Actress Shin Hye-sun Nominated
Best Supporting Actress Na Young-hee Nominated
Best New Actress Seo Eun-soo Nominated
11th Korea Drama Awards Grand Prize Chun Ho-jin Nominated [20]
Best Drama My Golden Life Nominated
Best Screenplay So Hyun-kyung Nominated
Top Excellence Award, Actor Park Si-hoo Nominated
Top Excellence Award, Actress Shin Hye-sun Nominated
Best New Actress Seo Eun-soo Nominated
6th APAN Star Awards Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama Park Si-hoo Nominated [21]
Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama Shin Hye-sun Nominated
2nd The Seoul Awards Best Drama My Golden Life Nominated [22]
Best Actress Shin Hye-sun Nominated

How this drama will be judged in k-drama history, it's too early to tell, but starting tomorrow (Oct 2) at the 11th annual KDA (www.kdfo.org), regardless of these results I hope to find some closure.

:expressionless:

It was strange for me too when the thread showed up in the k-drama main forum list, i couldn't resist the curiosity to see what you posted recently but read only your last posts.  

On the question of the place of MGL in k-drama history, for me the excerpts from wiki contains the answer: there's a pattern here.

At first, just after the end, the drama was nominated on various categories, now it's only SHS. 

I think MGL will stay in everyone memory as the drama who revealed SHS to a larger audience.

She was a superb lead, who never failed to deliver during the 50 episodes and brought the strongest ratings ever for a family drama.

Starting now, nobody can ignore her.   

On 10/4/2018 at 1:30 AM, meechuttso said:

Very happy to report that

11th Korea Drama Awards Grand Prize Chun Ho-jin Nominated [20][21]
Best Drama My Golden Life Nominated
Best Screenplay So Hyun-kyung Nominated
Top Excellence Award, Actor Park Si-hoo Nominated
Top Excellence Award, Actress Shin Hye-sun Nominated
Best New Actress Seo Eun-soo Won

Seo Eun-Soo, in the role of Seo Ji-Soo, has won the Best New Actress award at the kdfo awards !

Very happy for Seo Eun-Soo, and even happier to see her in the new drama that just started, tvN's 

Congratulations!:wub:

Congrats to Eun Soo!

I hope she enjoyed this prize fully: she's a talented actress but still has a lot of to learn and i read that netizens aren't really nice with her lately. Her last role facing Seo In Guk seemed to have brought sadly  a lot of negative criticism.

Hopefully, she will learn a lot from this experience and bounce back quickly.    

• Like 1

8 hours ago, titania1000 said:

At first, just after the end, the drama was nominated on various categories, now it's only SHS. 

I think MGL will stay in everyone memory as the drama who revealed SHS to a larger audience.

She was a superb lead, who never failed to deliver during the 50 episodes and brought the strongest ratings ever for a family drama.

Yes, it does look like that's how it may be remembered. ;)

And on the 27th there's also the Seoul Awards, and SHS was nominated as well as MGL itself. No mention of anyone else from the work.;)