Quantcast
meechuttso

OFFICIAL JiAn-Hyuk JoGak-Sculpture-Couple Thread (Shin HyeSun ❤ Lee TaeHwan)

I posted this on the main thread.

JA has been sad for several episodes. She has no one to turn to now with all that's going on. She’s got a lot on her plate. I think she led a golden life when she lived with HK and the roommates in the share house. She was happy working on her wood products and had started to get out of the pit she was in when she went deep into the woods. As soon as DK moved in, she started spiraling back into sadness, with the issues from DK and Haesung, his grandfather and her father. She let DK back into her life, despite repeatedly saying she wanted nothing to do with him and his family. It's up to JA to decide to either accept DK for who he is or move on with her life for her sanity.

• Like 2

On 05/03/2018 at 7:22 AM, mglthrw8 said:

To @titania1000  @meechuttso @Ni Wen  and everyone else who kept the faith. WE WERE RIGHT!

SO RIGHT!!! I'M ON CLOUD NINE!!!!

I finished ep 50 yesterday very late, too late to write immediately while i was so excited! You don't know how hard it was to contain myself!

I wanted to jump, to scream, to share my satisfaction to finally see our patience rewarded!!!

Of course, the writer has some hidden cards under her sleeves to pull at the last minute, a twist to make us go crazy (probably in a bad way) but I DON'T CARE: everything that i felt and said was validated by the main character of the story and above all it felt so right and good!!!    

The best/the most satisfying :heart::heart::heart::  

Hyuk watching Ji An crying from afar: when i say i screamed and jumped when i saw him in the car, i really mean it!!! Literally!!!

But it was also devastating for him and us :bawling:

because it hurt me to  see him  so distraught after wrongly assuming that she was crying because of Do Kyung,

because nobody will convince me that he wasn't badly hurt that she was in the arms of Do Kyung,

because his face says it all: he was overwhelmed by his own feelings that he tried so desperately to repress and that it couldn't deny anymore, not even after professing his "love" for Ji Soo.

Hyuk finally telling with great confidence to Do Kyung it was natural and obvious  for Ji An and him to part away, and reminding him that Ji An will never be happy with him!!!!

Clearly  Hyuk thinks Do Kyung is not worth her. But he also bears no hope for himself to be with her, that's why he's not assuming his feelings for her, and instead putting all his efforts in trying to move on with Ji Soo. However he still cares deeply about her happiness that's why he selflessly warned Do Kyung that she was leaving...

And please, let me have a moment of complete and shameless shallowness: how good looking Hyuk was through the entire episode!

Damn, this suit! And his coat  when he went to Haesung to meet Do Kyung! He was oozing charisma and confidence and i loved it!  

The bonus

Do Kyung being rejected and being told the truth by my  favourites!

• By Hyuk telling him Ji An will never be happy with him (he's clearly asking to be proved wrong and it's not a coincidence that he sounded sarcastic and mean to the "poor Do Kyung", surely the writer is waiting to make him eat his hat:rolleyes: but for now i'm enjoying what i get) etc.... 
  • By Tae Soo who dismissed completely all his attempts to meet him, making clear that he helped him to protect his daughter and pay his debt and don't intend to accept him or his family,
  • By Ji An herself who admitted that her love for him, was the worst thing to happen to her because it made her a woman without respect for herself and for her family. Do Kyung thought lately as himself as a good guy, catching up and neutralizing the greater evils that are his grandpa, his aunt and his mother, especially in his speech about protecting the decision of the shareholders to dismiss his mother (an obvious parallel with politicians and their corrupted system); but  Ji An's moment of lucidity  reminded him of his lies, his selfishness and greediness, and how he covered for a long time his family deeds, basically his true colors that all his efforts to be independent never compensated.

The bad

Hyuk and Ji Soo and all their cutesy scenes, especially the kiss though it was obviously fanservice! Her jealousy and immaturity showed liked never, he's clearly not fooled by her attitude and played her completely with his fake date. That's why i wonder why he's putting up with someone who is clearly not his match. I have a hard time to believe he's really looking for an unbalanced relationship, unless he's enjoying that she depends on him...

And something seemed off of the mark about his advice to stay herself: it wasn't convincing. He's clearly not getting her dilemma about assuming  her true identity  and her name which is real and implies a honest answer from her. Growing up is at play with this question and it's like he's not really helping her to do this transition, while it seemed to be very natural for him with Ji An when she was pressured by the Choi family into erasing her past.

Do Kyung looked very pitiful. It would be easy to take his side: his lack of honesty sounds like a very human mistake when it's  justified by love like it was in his case. 

Also Ji An was already thinking about going later to Finland to spend more time with her father, so his request to not go away until he got time to fix the mess in his family company and go back to her was basically asking officially for a relationship between them (marriage or something else) and make it unquestionable before she leaves.  

He doesn't want Haesung anymore, so technically he went through all the phases to deserve her love and he "lost" more in the process than Hyuk did when he saved her life and brought her back from Incheon to offer her a new path.  

And he got to hug her once more!

Once again the lack of chemistry made me cringe! Sure he seemed caught off guard by her tears but it doesn't explain why he wasn't at ease when she was in her arms, as if he didn't know how to react. Though she's not the kind to burst in tears, "his love" for her should lead him to find the right words and gestures. Not only that, she seemed disappointed when he said that he missed her. Once again he came because of his feelings and needs, and it showed on her face that it was a burden for her: he acts as if it's his right (to see her whenever he wants) that he exerts on her (even more easily now he's back to be a powerful man) and to which she can only submit.    

His granpda tried to apologize to Ji An though it's not clear if he was sincere. But it's worth to notice that he never had done that before. See the example of manager Min.

Ji An herself was conflicted when she rejected him: yes, she felt guilty and shameful but she kept talking too about how she fell in love with him, and she seemed to still have it bad for him.

In conclusion, for me it's not the end...

Halfway through the episode I was in such despair. Hyuk pulled out the love confession note like I had long predicted but only as way to reaffirm his love for Ji Soo! The exact opposite of what I thought was going to happen. It was truly agonizing to watch. He still doesn’t know that Ji An wrote the confession note! Hyuk not knowing and possibly never knowing that Ji An wrote the note is such a cruel and sick joke by the writer.

I felt the same as you! Agonizing was the right world!

I wonder if he's really a fool: shouldn't he have recognize Ji An's writing?

Anyway something tells me it's not the last of this subplot...

Ji An’s devastatingly simple question for DK at the end of the episode: What did you do for me?

Such a simple question that exposes the selfish nature of DK and his boundary-violating possessive love for Ji An. Now Ji An obviously should never have fallen in love with him in the first place but unfortunately we live in a world where good women loving bad men is not without precedent.

I fear that it could become a challenge for him in the last two remaining episodes: to do something for her which could equal Hyuk's actions and bring the balance which is still missing in their relationship.

Like i said before i see the fact that he abandoned Haesung as the writer's way to  complete his redemption arc. I'm not certain that this episode painted him in a really bad picture in Ji An's mind: she gave up the pretense that she was moving on, she admitted that  he wasn't responsible for what happened to her father, and we all know that her capacity to forgive him has been limitless so far....  

It’s funny that we had lost so much faith in the writer that we barely analyzed the implications of DK’s grandfather assaulting TS, DK finding out about it and then asking Ji An to date instead of informing her. Putting DK’s actions in plain language like that we should have been incredibly horrified. But I guess I’ve been so burnt by the writer that it just registered as faint disgust and a “random thought”.

It was impossible to foresee because the writer is cheating all the time: changing the rules and the direction of the drama every two episodes at the expense of logic...

How many horrible things have been forgiven since the start of this drama? See Ji An's humiliation when she went asking Do Kyung for his help....

That's why i feel uneasy to a certain point to trust entirely Ji An's disgust for Do Kyung's attitude. He has always treated her in a possessive way  and the implications for her family, notably the threats have always been here. Also  her father was hit by his father  and she still dated him afterwards. 

I get that the probable death of her father have changed her perception and her level of acceptation but i find her a bit hypocritical in the way she blamed Do Kyung solely for their relationship, trying to minimize her participation into creating it (the promises made to his mother and her father were both made and  broken by her).

But a Jian-Hyuk ending doesn’t look good. Is there still time for it? Hyuk unfortunately appears to be firmly committed to Ji Soo. Ji An may not end up with DK but she’s never shown any overtly romantic feelings for Hyuk. Hyuk and Ji An have superb chemistry and they’re so completely right for each other but is it just going to end as platonic love? Even though Ji An alone is the second best ending it would still make me very sad if it happens.

The odds are still against us, so i'm not making any bet!

The early promo pic with Hyuk’s arm around Ji An. All the wonderful Hyuk-Ji An scenes throughout the show, especially Incheon.  The parallels with Baker-Hee and  the fisherman and his wife. Ji An being the true author of Ji soo’s love confession note. SHS’s recent instagram pic. Please be clues! Please writer! I want to believe!

Endgame or not, i believe in this kind of love and i regret nothing^_^

On 05/03/2018 at 9:25 AM, meechuttso said:

Thank you and @titania1000 for your thoroughly enjoyable exchange here.

Where have you been, chingu? I missed you!

On 05/03/2018 at 9:39 AM, meechuttso said:

I feel a gif coming on for the first time in a long long while.

Too long! 

A thread about SHS or her character without your gifs isn't right...            

• Like 3

On 05/03/2018 at 2:22 PM, mglthrw8 said:

To @titania1000  @meechuttso @Ni Wen  and everyone else who kept the faith. WE WERE RIGHT

Yes all! We were right!

All along we are the only ones who felt DK's love for JA was selfish, possessive and for himself.... Which many people did not agree with us and which is why we all left the main drama thread. From day 1 he did nothing for her while proclaiming his "love" for her but just selfishly wants to be with her BECAUSE of his own desires. He did nothing but to stir her feelings without thinking of the consequences that his love will bring to JA and her family. Like Hyuk always says if you can't be responsible please leave her alone. But he thinks leaving his house and working odd jobs and being independent means he's doing something for her. In contrast she did more than she could for him, helping him with his company proposals, research, setup, and his father even had to help him check out the shareholders. Yes, just what have he done for her? Nothing.. except hurt and tears. And even asking her not to go to Finland.

JA and Hyuk is not going to be together, it is a foregone conclusion to me. I'm just happy for a Jian alone ending please! But I think the writer will give them a happy ending. Haiz. Poor Hyuk the writer have greatly wasted a good character she had build up. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ni Wen said:

Yes all! We were right!

All along we are the only ones who felt DK's love for JA was selfish, possessive and for himself.... Which many people did not agree with us and which is why we all left the main drama thread. From day 1 he did nothing for her while proclaiming his "love" for her but just selfishly wants to be with her BECAUSE of his own desires. He did nothing but to stir her feelings without thinking of the consequences that his love will bring to JA and her family. Like Hyuk always says if you can't be responsible please leave her alone. But he thinks leaving his house and working odd jobs and being independent means he's doing something for her. In contrast she did more than she could for him, helping him with his company proposals, research, setup, and his father even had to help him check out the shareholders. Yes, just what have he done for her? Nothing.. except hurt and tears. 

JA and Hyuk is not going to be together, it is a foregone conclusion to me. I'm just happy for a Jian alone ending please! But I think the writer will give them a happy ending. Haiz. Poor Hyuk the writer have greatly wasted a good character she had build up. 

I can't believe no matter how much i try that Hyuk won't have a happy ending! 

It's just not possible that Ji Soo is the end for him...

And Ji An will obviously have a happy ending:  either she will be with Do Kyung or with Hyuk...

Alone is not an option in korean drama and korean society.  

I miss her cute and free attitude around Hyuk when they were happy together:bawling:

• Like 3

It is still possible for JA to end up with HK. A time jump and a chance meeting if HK and JS have broken up.

• Like 3

On 05/03/2018 at 8:26 PM, cp23 said:

I posted this on the main thread.

JA has been sad for several episodes. She has no one to turn to now with all that's going on. She’s got a lot on her plate. I think she led a golden life when she lived with HK and the roommates in the share house. She was happy working on her wood products and had started to get out of the pit she was in when she went deep into the woods. As soon as DK moved in, she started spiraling back into sadness, with the issues from DK and Haesung, his grandfather and her father. She let DK back into her life, despite repeatedly saying she wanted nothing to do with him and his family. It's up to JA to decide to either accept DK for who he is or move on with her life for her sanity.

I like a lot your sum up of the drama: especially the last lines because they put Ji An's attitude and her capacity to choose as the center of the plotline. Something that needs to be said after her speech about the things that Do Kyung has made her do. 

I do get that she was a classic doormat character in some parts: "quiet, obedient, stoic" (tvtropes).She let the Choi family walked over her: at work first when she was striving to get a permanent job and later when she joined their family and did whatever they asked, only to please them, even denying her bio family, past, identity and real name.       

I do get too that her  suicide attempt didn't erase that part of herself and that's why she let Do Kyung invade her life after she come back from Incheon. Under her pretense, she's more vulnerable to pressure that she would like to think and he saw enough of her to take advantage of it and of her guilt linked to the pressure his family put on him. It wasn't her concern but she was still stressed strongly, probably because she saw herself in his journey to independence. 

It also felt that  the trauma and fear she kept from the time in their house was putting her in a panic mode each time the Choi tried to stop Do Kyung, as if she was reliving those times... 

I think that's why she was so reluctant to flirt with him even after she admitted her feelings,  and refused him spectacularly at the start of ep  44  when he made a move to kiss her  even though she just  agreed few seconds before to date him.

Not the attitude of a woman in love frustrated by the physical distance with her lover, rather the attitude of a woman who is forcing herself to intimacy, thinking if she gives him a little more (one week of dating), it will be enough for him to get satisfied and not come back (and it explains the kiss on the last day of their week date and at the very last minutes:  it took her all this time to gather enough force to go for it since she wasn't feeling it at all and it was meant as a definitive farewell) but he always came back (the look of frustration on his face: he clearly wanted more).             

I said her expression after the hug was the one of a women resigned to being the object of his attention, but there's also the idea in it that she will never be ate peace. He will never give up: despite his promise to move on after the week spent dating. 

But we're at the end of the drama: if she doesn't stand up for herself now, she would have lost all possibility of progression. Despite his love and support, Hyuk can't do that for her: he can just wait for her. 

Hopefully this time, her words and feelings will stand.      

On 06/03/2018 at 11:26 PM, cp23 said:

It is still possible for JA to end up with HK. A time jump and a chance meeting if HK and JS have broken up.

It's clear now that we are heading to a last minute twist. So indeed, it's still open!

Hyuk loves Ji An enough :

• to get over his feelings of anger for Do Kyung and tell him thats she was leaving to Finland;
  • to give her time with Do Kyung to say at least goodbye, thinking she was unhappy because her father was against their supposed love (in ep 49 he asked her why her father booked her early ticket and she answered because of Do Kyung, confusing him and prompting him to ask  if her father helped Do Kyung because he supported their relationship, to which she replied no) . 

It has often been said that they presumed the other feelings for Ji Soo and Do Kyung,  and acted consequently in order to guarantee each other's happiness. Hyuk's informed Do Kyung of what was happening in Ji An's life few times and Ji An hooked him up with Ji Soo during Christmas thinking  that's what he wanted.  I feel like it can't be a coincidence, i see it as misundertanding that needs to be cleared for good for them to be ready to embrace their feelings....   

• Like 3

The poster with the cast has been analyzed by many viewers.

I don't know if we can find clues in the poster, but everyone on the bottom row is linked hand in hand, except when it comes to DK and JA. JA is leaned towards HK chest and his hand is on her shoulder. JA's hand is linked with her father and JS is linked to DK.  The Baker and Hee did end up together and so did JA's older brother with his wife.

• Like 3

@titania1000 @cp23 I really don't want to smash your hopes but Hyuk is not going to end up with Jian. Because it has been written that Jian don't like him in that way... I feel the writer is just playing with the viewers feelings, trying to show that there's going to have some twist ahead but in the end will just be back to the main otp being together. 

• Like 4

Chingoos,

I tried to compose something worthwhile to say in the other thread, but just got too nauseated reading the other posts even now. I gave up. This drama is not worthy of our contribution because when we start to reason thru and say something positive, we end up sounding as crazy as the writer has made these characters, wasting breath on absurd characters that do whatever the writer wants totally opposite of expectations every 2 episodes - it's the most insulting thing to your intelligence. I've come to despise all the characters, including Jian, believe it or not. Yea, watching MGL is toxic and just makes me seriously meechuttso (loco), so I don't think I can muster up the energy to write even one more post there. The Ep 51 preview with more scenes of getting down on knees, crying and saying so sorry, sorry just makes me cringe even harder now.

However, in a strange twist, I have found a Hyuk!

You have to get to episode 2 before you realize his name is Hyuk.

I probably would not find this drama so refreshing if not for 6+ months of deprivation on MGL, my godawful life. The contrast was amazing. Although Uee had flopped on her 'hole' drama after turning Jian's role down, I think she is the smart, lucky actress after all, steering clear of godawfullife, with this new role which is bit of a twist on contract marriage again.

I won't give it away, but I swear, just a bit of ep 2 where this new Hyuk shows chivalry, respect, decency and real concern for the female stranger, a damsel in distress, yes, was such a balm to my parched soul looking for some human kindness and selflessness from the male lead in a story (which I have yet to find in all 50 eps of godawfullife combined). I don't care for the strong woman beginning of godawfullife because since ep 26 she's degenerated into this inexplicably vacillating and unable to keep herself from 'loving' the kokoschka character that nobody respects anymore - I am finding that at least in a drama, I need a man who speaks and behaves tenderly to a woman than a strong woman who doesn't need anyone or goes back and forth 25x in 50 episodes.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, meechuttso said:

I tried to compose something worthwhile to say in the other thread, but just got too nauseated reading the other posts even now. I gave up. This drama is not worthy of our contribution because when we start to reason thru and say something positive, we end up sounding as crazy as the writer has made these characters, wasting breath on absurd characters that do whatever the writer wants totally opposite of expectations every 2 episodes - it's the most insulting thing to your intelligence.

Yeah some of the posts on the main thread made me lose any desire to contribute something there. The contortions that some people go through to defend the indefensible….

After the elation of ep 50’s ending scene wore off I’ve had a lot of trouble writing anything more about the show because I don’t know if the writer is simply going to make my words irrelevant by Sunday. Like @titania1000 said, the writer cheats a lot. She draws on both realism and kdramaland logic but applies them arbitrarily. That’s what troubles me so much about this writer. She has the intelligence and self-awareness to write something like the ending scene of episode 50, but it might all be the done for the purpose of setting up one last twist/obstacle before bringing Jian and DK together. One of the more astute posters in the main thread saw DK’s only option as getting on his knees and begging for TS’s forgiveness. The poster wasn’t entirely convinced by this solution but that looks like what’s going to happen. TS will forgive DK and let Ji An know so she can be with him without feeling ashamed and guilty. It’s stomach churning to contemplate but a depressingly plausible outcome.

Even if TS forgives DK, Jian’s question for DK still stands. What did he ever do for her? And no, giving up Haesung so he can “magnanimously” grant Ji An the “glory” of his “love” doesn’t count. It would be beyond farce if Ji An takes DK back after saying that falling in love with him was the worst thing he did to her.

After Ji An posed her simple but devastating question, I went and took a look back at some previous episodes to see exactly DK did for her when he was living in the sharehouse. It’s actually a lot more disturbing than I remembered.

The below scene comes in ep 37 shortly after DK’s mother confronts Ji An and after Ji An makes it clear to DK in the café that she wants nothing to do with him or his family.

JA: Why are you waiting here? Someone might follow you.

DK: Are you that scared?

JA: I am. I’m very terrified. So what are you going to do for me?

DK: I’ll ask you only one question. Please answer it. Do you really mean that? If you really meant it when you said that I must not be the son of Haesung corporation, I’ll stop now. Answer me.

JA: I really meant it.

DK: Then let’s stop this. If you really meant it. I can’t help it. Even if I die, I’ll still be the son of Haesung corporation.

JA: nods

DK: However, you must remember this. When I say I won’t do something, I really mean it. Like you said, I can’t stop being myself for you.

JA: Okay

DK: I’ll give you one last chance. Don’t let me go.

JA shakes her head

DK: Then it’s over. Goodbye

He walks away. Then turns around and marches back up to her

DK: WHY ARE YOU SO HARD TO GET?

Does DK answer her question at all? Does he do anything to allay her fears? Does he come up with a plan to protect her and her family? Does he do anything for her? Ji An is terrified because DK’s mother has found her and she knows that the wrath of Haesung is coming for her and her family. She’s so scared and is so desperate for reassurance. But DK does nothing for her. Instead he has the gall to issue an ultimatum, to give her “one last chance” to not let him go. Good God.

I only remembered the truly heinous last line from the scene but his non-response to her question may even be worse. One of the things that drove me to post on this forum was DK’s monumentally selfish decision to move into the sharehouse. No one except Hyuk seemed to be concerned about it. It was obvious the moment he moved in that his family would eventually find him and Ji An. And the consequences that followed for Ji An and her family were obvious and inevitable. Choosing to expose the danger and terror of his family to the person he supposedly loved made him essentially unredeemable to me. All for his own selfish needs and his “love”.

There are more scenes like the above in episodes 38 and 39. In ep 38, DK berates Ji An for not informing him about TS’s sickness. Instead of comforting her he chooses to get angry with her about their lack of closeness. He only cares about her insofar as her actions impact him. And of course the dreaded wood studio scene in ep 39…

I know that the writer may make my words irrelevant by Sunday but I want to get this out, just to say that at least some of us found DK’s behavior to be unacceptable.  

We’ll see what happens. I’m hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

• Like 3

@meechuttso

I saw the first two episode of Uee's new drama. Not bad so far.

JA and DK still up in the air with two more episodes left. It's become like, she loves me, she loves me not, with every episode flipping back and forth with the relationship and then, we have to wait to the very end for the writer to put us out of our misery.

• Like 3

@mglthrw8

I agree with what you wrote. JAs words and actions do not add up.  The writer goes back and forth. It's as if the writer couldn't make her mind--she could have had a change of writing, after JA and DK won the best couple award.  It's the same dialogue episode after episode that doesn't make sense with some of what she has put her characters through. I too found DK's behavior to be more like a stalker, who wouldn't give up.

I believe that a JA/DK ending will make this drama the same as all the dramas I've watched so far with a chaebol family involved. I know that in most dramas the OTP usually end up together, and I hope the outcome for this drama will be different.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mglthrw8 said:

The contortions that some people go through to defend the indefensible….

Aaah the wordsmith strikes again. B)

Sorry I actually kind of broke an unspoken rule here plugging another thread so blatantly. Please allow me my coping mechanism, friends, this whole thread has been our coping mechanism hasn't it?

Funny how that name 'Hyuk' has grown on me, and my endearment to the other Hyuk I found was from the sum total of all the warm fuzzys of our original Hyuk here before the loca damsel started rejecting him to her own demise. To me, it's no small consolation that there's at least one more Hyuk to root for now. I find him worthy, and hope he doesn't get weak-legged and vacillating between his old love and his new love too much - but there, I see no conflict no matter what happens - mgl, it's been all conflict every exhausting step of the way.

@mglthrw8 I gif'ed the ugly scenes from Ep 37, 38, 39 and all that, but I couldn't see the point of uploading them (I did put one in SHS thread, but it's too ugly to look back on - it was more of a gravemarker).

• Like 3

I respect everyone feelings and i hope it didn't seem like i forced my moderate optimism on anyone. :)

You all have solid arguments to not believe in a happy end for our favourites, and i know those reasons very well since we considered all the ends possible during our long posts in this thread.

Personally,  i have rewatched carefully the last scene between Ji An and Do Kyung and got a more precise understanding of what was at play during this part.

It was at first a very confusing scene for me because it seemed that Ji An mixed two series of events: the time where chairman No came to her house and the time he forced her father to kneel at the hospital (which was recorded by manager Min), without making (at least in the translation) a separation between the two incidents, while the psychological and physical violence used each time against her family  had different reasons, and different implications in term of responsability for Do Kyung. 

Do Kyung have been repeatedly lying to Ji An and hiding important informations about her family in order to keep seeing her. 

• He knew that chairman No went to the Seo house and hit Tae Soo because he thought Ji An and Do Kyung were dating. But as we noticed before, he said nothing to Ji An and instead asked her to date him. 
  • In the same way, Jae Sung told him about the humiliation suffered by Tae Soo  at the hospital but he stayed focused on the race for the control of the company and keep it a secret too.   

My initial impression was that this conversation was  going to have anyway the same conclusion as usually (a change of heart at the end of the road for Ji An) but after reading the dialogues, it's clear now that  the accumulation of lies, threats and humiliations during those two incidents have been the straw that broke the camel's back for her, pushing their relationship to a turning point never reached before where she clearly draw the limits of everything she felt for him.

I'm starting at the point where Do Kyung stopped the recording sent by Manager Min.

Ji An's attitude has never been so firm, so clear. You can sense that she wasn't overwhelmed by her feelings at all despite her tears, that she reflected deeply on what she wanted to say, had make up her mind and was determined to follow her decision until the end.

She started by telling Do Kyung that she didn't say anything to him after listening the recording because in her eyes he didn't do it.

At that point she was still  weak enough to not want to  consider his responsability in the actions of his grandfather because

• she was leaving soon 
  • she didn't want to taint their memories together
  • she didn't want to assume the humiliation inflicted on her again...

But not anymore after he asked her to stay: it was the end for her when he  dismissed completely the importance of this trip to Finland in her path to realize her dream, in order to once again put his needs first (to secure their relationship).

So she didn't even stopped when he apologized. 

She underlined on the contrary how everything he does and says is based on HIS needs: how difficult it is to be the heir of Haesung, how much he needs her etc...

And the revolution started here:  for the 1st time, she called him on the fact that he never considered her feelings, her side, what it means for her to date him giving their past and what the consequences could be for her!!!     

She made it clear that she would have moved on with her life if he didn't approach her and would have done so without regret since she didn't want to be with him or to be connected to his family after she left his house.

I said that she refused to assume her part in their relationship, but what she said is in fact  a little different: she expressed a real desire for a life without him.      

And the revolution continued because she didn't stop here and went as far as admitting that his love was toxic, and that her love made her miserable.

More importantly she recognized the full scale of the implications of her feelings for him: even if she didn't want to act on it, it lead to her father's humiliation. There's nothing he can offer her that could compensate for the pain inflicted on the old man or the guilt she feels when she thinks about her father's sacrifices, his hardwork, his despair when she turned her back on him or when she disappeared...   

Did anyone else noticed the violence of the lines she threw at Do Kyung?

"He was beaten because of you"         

Given her love for her father at this stage, how could their relationship survive an accusation as strong as this one? 

This line was a repetition of the idea who came just before, a repetition made to emphasize her anger at the thought of her father being beaten and threatened. Ji An is taking this very seriously, too seriously to not mean fully every words that she's saying.

When she asked him about the reasons he had to lie to her, she wasn't expecting the truth, she knew already the truth but still his answers were so lame, he finished to kill any respect she had for him. 

He seriously hide behind the fact that her father too said nothing! Was he counting on his desire of protection for his daughter to continue to enjoy peacefully Ji An's company?

That's because he was shameless, that she had nothing to lose anymore in term of feelings for him that she could boldly say that he never worried about her, only about the fact that she could leave him.

She finished to kill any hope he could have by telling those incredible words::o

"You made me fall in love with the grandson of the man who hit my dad"

"You made me fall in love with the grandson of the man who threatened my dad and made him kneel"

Can anyone seriously consider a futur for them after those lines? I know i can't...

Do Kyung was not totally stupid to not realize that it was the end but he's stuck in a loop where his love justifies everything:" it was because i love you so much"

But Ji An has nothing but contempt for this kind of love: "that's the way you love"

She said it as if it was a kind of disease...

And here comes the part where i felt on my knees and prayed and cried and cried again and thanked the dramagods!!!

"Just like before, you're selfish" 

Shamelessly, he still asked her to consider his position!!!! So his answer to her blame about his selfishness is   staying true to himself and acting selfish! 

That's when she said to him that he would't have been so greedy if he truly loved her!!!

Then came the famous part where she asked him: what did he do for her since he left his home? 

The fact that she considers that he did nothing, nothing that she wanted and that he doesn't even know what she wants, speaks enough for itself!

The end was heartbreaking for her: she broked in tears when she admitted that he made her accept his love despite how bad it was for her. 

But it was also liberating: it was a toxic and a abusive relationship, and nothing more. 

It's time for her to move on. 

For me, it can't be more clear: this ship is not sailing again, like never again....        

@Ni Wen it never was stated clearly that Ji An didn't like Hyuk in this way. The last time she refused his feelings was when she discovered the lie of her parents and she went to see him because she wanted to talk to someone with who she could be freely Seo Ji An. He asked bluntly if she liked him and why a girl who doesn't like him would wander around his office and she was mostly flustered, though her silence seemed to spoke for her.

After Incheon, the time spent together has changed completely and deeply the nature of their relationship: a real window for dating opened for them but it stopped before it ever began because of Do Kyung and Hyuk's associate meddling in their relationship.

Ji An pushed Hyuk to date Ji Soo because she thought as she said it few times that it was what he wanted.

Hyuk "gave up" on his feelings for Ji An because she couldn't reject Do Kyung clearly, so he mistook it for love, and he felt then that it was time to move on. Even the words he used to explain why he didn't believe anymore in his first love weren't his, but the ones of his associate Yong Guk.

Like i said they've been making assumptions about each other's feelings since a long time now and it was never true: Ji An didn't go to hide in Incheon because she was in love with Do kyung and couldn't live freely her romance with him like Hyuk believed when he joined her at the seaweed market;  on the contrary she didn't want to see him and did everything she could to keep him at distance until she started to break down again and gives in. 

Hyuk found Ji Soo cute but didn't at all intend to date her before Ji An set them up: he took it as her message to move on with his life and to be honest, that's how  that it seemed but look at their "fight" when he discovered Ji Soo's true identity and how she argued that she thought he wanted to be with Ji Soo. That's why she said nothing...

And look again at Hyuk who thought Tae Soo supported her relationship with Do Kyung despite all the things they suffered from the Choi family, just because he was resigned to see Do Kyung winning her over while feeling she deserved better....  

They know each other very well but very often when it comes to romantic feelings, their lack of communication lead them to take the wrong actions, and make both of them not entirely honest with each other, so i'm certain that what we saw on screen doesn't reflect their real feelings!

@meechuttso I'm happy that you found a another Hyuk who got to live happily with his lover! Hopefully it will help you to heal a little bit! 

I'm not worried about Do Kyung kneeling in the preview: it's too late for him! He lost his chances to ask for forgiveness when he heard about the threats and humiliation, because he was  busy dating Ji An or keeping the company for himself while enjoying all the help he could get from the Seo family...    

• Like 3

20 hours ago, meechuttso said:

I don't care for the strong woman beginning of godawfullife because since ep 26 she's degenerated into this inexplicably vacillating and unable to keep herself from 'loving' the kokoschka character that nobody respects anymore - I am finding that at least in a drama, I need a man who speaks and behaves tenderly to a woman than a strong woman who doesn't need anyone or goes back and forth 25x in 50 episodes.

12 hours ago, cp23 said:

The writer goes back and forth. It's as if the writer couldn't make her mind--she could have had a change of writing, after JA and DK won the best couple award.  It's the same dialogue episode after episode that doesn't make sense with some of what she has put her characters through.

I've been reading a great classic novel called Middlemarch by George Eliot and I came across the perfect quote.

"It is certainly trying to a man's dignity to reappear when he is not expected to do so: a first farewell has pathos in it, but to come back for a second lends an opening to comedy"

Just how many final farewells have we had in My Golden Life? Beyond comedy. Beyond farce.

@titania1000

I wrote something earlier this week that complements your excellent analysis of the ending scene in ep 50. I was going to hold it back until after the show ended because I just didn’t want to look foolish if the writer pulls a terrible last minute plot twist. I felt that I should not charitably interpret any of the writer’s decisions until I knew what the end was.

But if the writer has finally put all her cards on the table then I believe the one week dating plot to be worth reevaluating. 

At the time I was irritated by the generic flat quality of the dating scenes and how they seemed to be detached from any larger context. It appeared to be another example of the writer just phoning it in, not needing to convince us because she could just deploy the usual kdramaland clichés.

But Ji An makes an absolutely extraordinary admission in ep 50 that casts the one week dating plot in a whole new light.

She says that she was actually willing to remain silent after learning that DK’s grandfather beat her father AND hearing the recording of her father being threatened and forced to kneel. She actually admits that she was willing to let the humiliation and dishonoring of her father slide for the sake of her love memories! What a truly shameful thing to admit. A real sign of just how much she has compromised herself.

But instead of contempt we should feel pity and compassion for poor Ji An for wanting to protect her love memories.

I believe the one week dating plot was Ji An’s misguided but understandable attempt to deal with her abusive and toxic relationship with DK directly.

The one week dating plot allowed Ji An to accomplish several things:

-To seize control of the narrative and situation for the first time. DK has repeatedly violated her boundaries, invaded the places she felt safest (sharehouse and wood studio) and made her feel powerless again and again. The one week dating finally allows her to take control.

-To give in to DK’s demands but under strict limitations of her choosing. She got to pick all the dating events and activities, what they did and where they ate. The last kiss as you also noticed looked planned and deliberate.

-To normalize an abnormal and toxic situation. The reenactment of romantic clichés wasn’t laziness by the writer. It was Ji An’s heartbreaking attempt to make her situation with DK safe and tame and normal. She really was, in spite of her better judgment, intensely attracted to DK.

EP 43 and 44 detail all the fantasies of normality that Ji An wanted to indulge in.

EP 43 with Myung Shin

JA: I wish he were like your boyfriend. If he were, if Do Kyung were an ordinary office worker, or if he were an ordinary person who runs his business.

MS: If he were?

JA: I would have gone to his office right after work. I could help him with his presentation. We could go out for a beer after work. If he met someone bad at work, I’d join him complaining about that person. I’d tell him what I made or what I did that day. And he’d praise me for my work. Stuff like that. I just want to share little things about our lives. Sometimes we’d laugh or get angry, but we’d eventually make up. We could’ve done that.

EP 44 after their first date

DK: Is there nothing you want to do with me? My gosh you never expected this to happen?

JA: blurts out very quickly I want to go to the movies, go for a walk, go to an art gallery, work out together, talk on the phone whenever I want, go to a bar and a café, and go to a theme park with you. “I’ll see you tomorrow”. I was overwhelmed to hear you say that.

During the one week dating, Ji An manages to do most of the things on her list. They see a movie, go skating, sledding and eat chicken feet at a restaurant. She gets to have him observe her lovingly while she works at the wood studio. She stops by his office and helps him with his presentation.

Ji An reenacts romantic clichés and fantasies of ordinary domestic life with DK in order to cover up the sharp painful particularities of their complex and troubled history.

And if DK really let her go at the end of the one week dating like she hoped he would, Ji An probably believed that with enough time and distance she could one day look back at the memories of their relationship and  feel nostalgia and tenderness instead of shame, pain and regret.

That’s why she was still willing to be silent on her father’s treatment in order to preserve her manufactured love memories. It’s wrong and misguided but completely understandable.

In the ep 50 ending scene, DK takes away Ji An’s ability to hold on to any remaining illusions about him and their relationship.

7 hours ago, titania1000 said:

Ji An's attitude has never been so firm, so clear. You can sense that she wasn't overwhelmed by her feelings at all despite her tears, that she reflected deeply on what she wanted to say, had make up her mind and was determined to follow her decision until the end.

Ji An’s voice is mostly steady throughout the scene as you’ve noted. I want to highlight a few exceptions where her voice cracks. It’s a really brilliant bit of acting by SHS.

JA: That’s why you shouldn’t have done this. You shouldn’t have called.

DK: Ji An

JA: You shouldn’t ask me not to leave.

DK: If you knew, you would’ve been through so much pain. Your father didn’t say it either.

JA: No.  You didn’t say it not because you’re worried about me.

You’ve done a great job of analyzing these scenes so I don’t have much to add except to note that Ji An’s voice cracking on these lines is done to emphasize just how excruciatingly painful it is for her to say those words out loud as it forces her to admit to herself that the man she loved was completely unworthy of that love and on a fundamental level never cared about her deepest needs.  She is further aware, given his expression of both pain and bafflement that he is selfish in ways that don’t even allow him to truly understand her words. She knows he is probably already thinking of another way to win her back.

DK not allowing Ji An the consolation or comfort of her carefully crafted love memories is one more act of cruelty in a long string of cruelties DK inflicts on Ji An, but in fact it may be the first and only gift he’s ever given to her. He’s forces her to see him, with devastating clarity, exactly as he is.

Edited to add a few more reactions:

He seriously hide behind the fact that her father too said nothing! Was he counting on his desire of protection for his daughter to continue to enjoy peacefully Ji An's company?

That's because he was shameless, that she had nothing to lose anymore in term of feelings for him that she could boldly say that he never worried about her, only about the fact that she could leave him.

Great catch. DK attempted to deflect responsibility by bringing up her father? Worst possible response!

Do Kyung was not totally stupid to not realize that it was the end but he's stuck in a loop where his love justifies everything:" it was because i love you so much"

But Ji An has nothing but contempt for this kind of love: "that's the way you love"

She said it as if it was a kind of disease...

Her calm and decisive response "yes" showed just how prepared she was to hear this answer. 

In the same way, Jae Sung told him about the humiliation suffered by Tae Soo  at the hospital but he stayed focused on the race for the control of the company and keep it a secret too. 

Great catch. I completely missed this.

Shamelessly, he still asked her to consider his position!!!! So his answer to her blame about his selfishness is   staying true to himself and acting selfish! 

It's really amazing how every single one of his responses just further condemned him.

I do get that she was a classic doormat character in some parts: "quiet, obedient, stoic" (tvtropes).She let the Choi family walked over her: at work first when she was striving to get a permanent job and later when she joined their family and did whatever they asked, only to please them, even denying her bio family, past, identity and real name.     

One of the writer's most clever insights into Ji An's character was to link her timidity with her greed. Her timid acquiescence to Do Kyung's mother's training regimen was actually really an eager desire to be part of that world. She admitted to Hyuk that she abandoned her parents because of that greed and ambition.

For so many years, her family thought that her many part time jobs, contract gigs and intense ambition
was just to help provide for her family. Sharing the burden of household expenses with Ji Tae, paying for Ji Ho's
schooling and providing an allowance were sincere attempts to support her loved ones but also a mask and salve for her darker and more shameful ambitions. Ambitions that resulted in her abandoning her family.

Edited by mglthrw8
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, mglthrw8 said:

... a first farewell has pathos in it, but to come back for a second lends an opening to comedy"

I feel guilty posting here, kind of like I'm pulling a DK imitation coming back after goodbyes, but all you guys' excellent insights and posts make me at least want to acknowledge how helpful your efforts can be to some of us, to wrap things up and somewhat rationalize or justify our energy spent on this drama as not having been completely wasted. What we post here is purely for our sanity and satisfaction and is also a bit of patting ourselves on our back for having had some insight into what the writer may have tried to do although it feels she failed ultimately. Maybe more important to applaud her in her efforts than to condemn her too harshly for trying at all.

How the story ends in the last 2 episodes is irrelevant now, since I feel like much of your insights help us get to the crux of the story, or the writer's intent. So I can post opinions here without any worries of feeling completely foolish regardless of what the writer does now.

I thought the 2 eps extension was simply to accommodate or appease the general public by giving the 1 week dating scenes since there may be too much outcry if even that much isn't allowed of the OTP by the writer, who had in mind a tragedy from the beginning. But, alas

And if DK really let her go at the end of the one week dating like she hoped he would, Ji An probably believed that with enough time and distance she could one day look back at the memories of their relationship and  feel nostalgia and tenderness instead of shame, pain and regret.

Your insight here seems plausible, and perhaps the writer was able to do both these things, make a stronger case for Jian's desperate attempt to salvage something for her torture, and somehow the 2 eps extension wasn't simply for sadistic fan service and shameless ratings grab.

One of the writer's most clever insights into Ji An's character was to link her timidity with her greed. Her timid acquiescence to Do Kyung's mother's training regimen was actually really an eager desire to be part of that world. She admitted to Hyuk that she abandoned her parents because of that greed and ambition.

So that's one of the weakest parts of the writer's story line. I never saw any real hint of her 'greed' that made her blind in the early goings, and there was really no justification that it was greed that drove her to the quick move-in to the rich house.

The other, bigger weak part of the story of course is that she had to fall so much in love for such an unworthy character - this never looked convincing, and it was the story's big undoing.

but also a mask and salve for her darker and more shameful ambitions. Ambitions that resulted in her abandoning her family.

No grounds for her or anyone to feel it was a 'shameful' anything. She hadn't abandoned anyone. So the reason for attempted suicide was weak, and the reason for her behavior in falling for kokoschka after the miraculous rescue from death was even weaker.

12 hours ago, titania1000 said:

"You made me fall in love with the grandson of the man who hit my dad" 

"You made fall in love with the grandson of the man who threatened my dad and made him kneel"

12 hours ago, titania1000 said:

"Just like before, you're selfish" 

She really has no one to blame for not rejecting the cluelessly bad man sooner. I think the writer is trying to pin some blame on him for being so forceful, but really, she smiled way too much and give him way too much quarter even after the outburst of Ep 26 (see what she does at the beginning of Ep 27, where she calms down seconds after that epic rage and takes the check and even thanks him again), etc.

Ji An’s voice is mostly steady throughout the scene as you’ve noted. I want to highlight a few exceptions where her voice cracks. It’s a really brilliant bit of acting by SHS.

JA: That’s why you shouldn’t have done this. You shouldn’t have called.

JA: You shouldn’t ask me not to leave.

JA: No.  You didn’t say it not because you’re worried about me.

So unfortunately, brilliantly acted portrayal of an insane person who keeps going back to her poison can't help me admire the actress, I am realizing. Learned much about my limits.

I hope SHS does take her time to select her next project, very carefully.

Sorry I have nothing really positive to add, but reluctantly I feel I should add that the writer had other goings on in the SK political realm that she had to also be careful to negotiate around, like the former president's heavy sentencing, tied to chaebol conviction and release, and the metoo movement raging in the SK news every day for the last few weeks, etc. It seems in hindsight like a particularly bad timing to have chosen this drama subject matter which was always going to be tricky anyways, and her insistence on the particular casting didn't help matters either. Everything we had feared in July and August but had hoped for the best.

• Like 3

@meechuttsoThanks for creating a thread where posters can express their ideas for JA/HK.

The writer could not foresee all the issues that she put in her drama would come to light down the road. She could have addressed JAs suicide, DK's stalking behavior and the bullying and bad treatment of the less fortunate by DK's family. Too much time spent back and forth between JA and DK. The chaebols are still living a good life and enjoying all that comes with their wealth thanks to JA's father.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, meechuttso said:

I feel guilty posting here, kind of like I'm pulling a DK imitation coming back after goodbyes,

Please stay! At least for a little while longer :)

What we post here is purely for our sanity and satisfaction and is also a bit of patting ourselves on our back for having had some insight into what the writer may have tried to do although it feels she failed ultimately. Maybe more important to applaud her in her efforts than to condemn her too harshly for trying at all.

Hopefully there will be cause for more back patting by Sunday :D

I do sincerely appreciate the writer's efforts. May she stick the landing!

So that's one of the weakest parts of the writer's story line. I never saw any real hint of her 'greed' that made her blind in the early goings, and there was really no justification that it was greed that drove her to the quick move-in to the rich house.

No grounds for her or anyone to feel it was a 'shameful' anything. She hadn't abandoned anyone. So the reason for attempted suicide was weak, and the reason for her behavior in falling for kokoschka after the miraculous rescue from death was even weaker.

You're right about this. It's not dramatically earned in any real way. Ji An....just plainly states her motivation. I find the idea clever but the execution was lacking.

• Like 3

Few news before continuing our discussion: 

• Apparently Kbs aired a special: i hope i will be able to grab some screencaps of LTH and SHS!
  • It seems that on social networks fans of Do Kyung and Ji An ship are fighting the writer. The clash seem quite big, and i understand better now why she kept to the very end this huge twist. She couldn't use it during the course of the drama: it could have pushed the network to influence the writers team! 

I've been quite frustrated with the way Ji An has been written, but after ep 50 i don't feel resentment against the writer. I just feel exhausted, and it's mixed  with a great expectation tainted by anxiety for Hyuk. 

I feel  his situation is more complicated and his future more incertain than for Ji An though all the pieces are here for him to break up with Ji Soo and started finally his love story with Ji An. 

On 09/03/2018 at 9:43 AM, meechuttso said:

I thought the 2 eps extension was simply to accommodate or appease the general public by giving the 1 week dating scenes since there may be too much outcry if even that much isn't allowed of the OTP by the writer, who had in mind a tragedy from the beginning. But, alas

Your insight here seems plausible, and perhaps the writer was able to do both these things, make a stronger case for Jian's desperate attempt to salvage something for her torture, and somehow the 2 eps extension wasn't simply for sadistic fan service and shameless ratings grab.

I read spoilers on twitter saying that the next episodes will focus on characters journey rather than romance...

But the love confession letter must be brought up again at some point: there was no reason for Hyuk to carry it around if not for the fact Ji Soo didn't write it, and that it will play a part in their separation. I'm certain now that the writer didn't forget this detail.

This breakup is necessary because though Ji Soo was a lesser evil than the rest of her family, she showed really no improvement in term of personality: she's still trying to divert the attention from Ji An and to get it focused on her like when she presented Hyuk to Tae Soo and Min-Jung the day where Ji An's achievements were supposed to be celebrated. Even Ji An noticed it and said it loud that she picked a strange day to introduce Hyuk as her boyfriend!

I was over the moon even though i didn't have time to analyze too much the scene, but it played completely in favor of Ji An and Hyuk for me. Not only Ji An was really moved that Hyuk and her father met again after all this time: she was touched enough to hide it behind the joke that there were too many people for this award. But when Tae Soo introduced himself as Ji Soo's father, Hyuk  immediately turned the focus on his past with Ji An, their high school time and the woodclass.

The interest that he kept for Ji An has always been stronger enough to divert his attention from Ji Soo and if you add to that Ji Soo is still  immature and childish, insecure and selfish, and dependent on him for a lot of things  it becomes impossible to imagine them together for life...

It will be frustrating of course to see Hyuk and Ji An's romance pushed to the very end, but not as much as we can fear because  their love doesn't come out of nowhere. We had all this period where they lived together happily in the sharehouse and with his father in the wood workshop, which gave us a clear view of what their life together will be, as much as it cemented their relationship.

I'm waiting now the reunion of my otp. It's about time the natural order of their relationship is reinstalled, especially after all they suffered...

On 09/03/2018 at 1:18 AM, mglthrw8 said:

I've been reading a great classic novel called Middlemarch by George Eliot and I came across the perfect quote.

You're so lucky! I'ven been dying to immerse myself in a classic for a long time now!

And Middlemarch is waiting on my shelves since at least 2 years....   

I wrote something earlier this week that complements your excellent analysis of the ending scene in ep 50. I was going to hold it back until after the show ended because I just didn’t want to look foolish if the writer pulls a terrible last minute plot twist. I felt that I should not charitably interpret any of the writer’s decisions until I knew what the end was.

And now i will be forever frustrated to have missed your thoughts!I fear that you underestimate how much i relied on your analysis to keep watching and feeding my theories. 

I had the same fear to be deceived but couldn't stop myself in the end because i ship Hyuk- Jian too much...   

But if the writer has finally put all her cards on the table then I believe the one week dating plot to be worth reevaluating. 

She definitely did: the two last episodes will be an epilogue about how the characters moved on with their life....

But Ji An makes an absolutely extraordinary admission in ep 50 that casts the one week dating plot in a whole new light.

She says that she was actually willing to remain silent after learning that DK’s grandfather beat her father AND hearing the recording of her father being threatened and forced to kneel. She actually admits that she was willing to let the humiliation and dishonoring of her father slide for the sake of her love memories! What a truly shameful thing to admit. A real sign of just how much she has compromised herself.

But instead of contempt we should feel pity and compassion for poor Ji An for wanting to protect her love memories.

I share your view on how pitiful she is and indeed in the end, the compassion i have for her is stronger than any other feelings.

On the reasons she had to try to "cover up" his actions, i have more thoughts to share.

i noticed the compromise she made  was her first impulse, which seems logical to me: i expect her shame to have reached a new level considering her context (her father's disease), a higher level  that she ever experimented before. Holding on her feelings for Do Kyung wasn't for me a proof of her love but a mechanism of defense to keep her sanity.

To think that she was dating Do Kyung while all those things were happening to her father was more than a simple breach of trust, something devastating enough to create a new intern collapse. So she ran away in fantasy: the one she created about her feelings for him, while waiting to run away physically to Finland. 

But Do Kyung was so greedy: he couldn't stop himself to try to see her and forced her inconsciously (on his side) to assume her feelings of guilt, self disdain and hate for his family, breaking for good their relationship.       

DK not allowing Ji An the consolation or comfort of her carefully crafted love memories is one more act of cruelty in a long string of cruelties DK inflicts on Ji An, but in fact it may be the first and only gift he’s ever given to her. He’s forces her to see him, with devastating clarity, exactly as he is.

That's it. You said it better than me and i love how you underlined the irony in this twist!!!    

I believe the one week dating plot was Ji An’s misguided but understandable attempt to deal with her abusive and toxic relationship with DK directly.

The one week dating plot allowed Ji An to accomplish several things:

-To seize control of the narrative and situation for the first time. DK has repeatedly violated her boundaries, invaded the places she felt safest (sharehouse and wood studio) and made her feel powerless again and again. The one week dating finally allows her to take control.

-To give in to DK’s demands but under strict limitations of her choosing. She got to pick all the dating events and activities, what they did and where they ate. The last kiss as you also noticed looked planned and deliberate.

-To normalize an abnormal and toxic situation. The reenactment of romantic clichés wasn’t laziness by the writer. It was Ji An’s heartbreaking attempt to make her situation with DK safe and tame and normal. She really was, in spite of her better judgment, intensely attracted to DK.

I didn't even consider the possibility that she could have imagined new ways to regain control in this seemingly unbalanced deal!    

You did an excellent job here to enlighten everything that she got from it!

However i can't see romance even in the reenactment of romantic clichés: like you said she was urged to make this relationship tame and safe. I can only see the pressure she felt each time he failed in his professional project, the proximity that she was forced to endure each time a little longer weighed on her peace of mind, not on her feelings for him.

At least it's how i see it because i can't recognize romantic attraction in their interactions: they thought their feelings more than they lived them. Especially Do Kyung who was all the time planning strategic moves to win her, while she was resisting like she could until she regained power during the one week date as you managed really well to prove it.

The fact that she had a hard time to let him touch her and did it very progressively finished to convince me that she wasn't in love.

EP 43 with Myung Shin

JA: I wish he were like your boyfriend. If he were, if Do Kyung were an ordinary office worker, or if he were an ordinary person who runs his business.

MS: If he were?

JA: I would have gone to his office right after work. I could help him with his presentation. We could go out for a beer after work. If he met someone bad at work, I’d join him complaining about that person. I’d tell him what I made or what I did that day. And he’d praise me for my work. Stuff like that. I just want to share little things about our lives. Sometimes we’d laugh or get angry, but we’d eventually make up. We could’ve done that.

EP 44 after their first date

DK: Is there nothing you want to do with me? My gosh you never expected this to happen?

JA: blurts out very quickly I want to go to the movies, go for a walk, go to an art gallery, work out together, talk on the phone whenever I want, go to a bar and a café, and go to a theme park with you. “I’ll see you tomorrow”. I was overwhelmed to hear you say that.

Thank you so much for bringing this! 

It made the parallel between Hyuk and Do Kyung so much clear!

Because the quotes from ep 43 are without a doubt about Hyuk! I made a post about it few pages ago to comment about how she already lived this with Hyuk and she's craving to return to it!! That's the real her/she which is speaking here.

No way Ji An was sincere when she answered to Do Kyung in ep 44. She just gave him a programme for their week to keep him at distance and to keep them busy enough to divert him of any thought about intimacy. It's worth to notice that she picked only outdoors activity/public places and she proposed to speak only on the phone!

That's a precious  and sad thought that you brought here: one than that made me feel hurt for her.

I remember that i was very shocked by the way she turned her back on her family. I wrote about it in the main thread and i wasn't easy on Ji An. It lasted a long time: it's only when she learned the truth about her parent's lie and when she returned to Hyuk that i got over it.

She was definitely greedy:  you should rewatch her last scene with her father, just before she left for the Choi House. The dialogues made her point crystal clear and her speech was disgusting. 

But she learnt a great lesson since then, in the hard way...

On 10/03/2018 at 7:42 AM, mglthrw8 said:

Hopefully there will be cause for more back patting by Sunday :D

Patting ourselves to validate that we weren't crazy after the time and energy spent on this drama is a sane attitude!:lol:   

• Like 2

Coming back from twitter with general spoilers: apparently ep 51 has been dedicated to Tae Soo. No preview shown.   

OMG this last scene!:bawling: Devastating!

Spoiler

DX7T-BWU8AAV87H.jpg

Tae Soo met Hyuk's father!!!

Sadly Drama KBS clips on YT can be  shared only under the form of links:

https://youtu.be/KQBs-Hzutf4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1