sugarplum892

photo river 24.jpg

Cr avirtualvoyage

Details:

Chinese title: 大大河/ Da Jiang Da He
English title: Like a Flowing River

Genre: Premodern

Episodes: 80

Director: Huang Wei, Sheng Kong (Ode To Joy, Battle of Changsha)

Broadcast Period: 12/10/2018 

Cast:

Wang Kai as Song Yun Hui

Yang Shuo

Dong Zi Jian

Synopsis:

The story is set during the period of the Chinese economic reform from 1978 until 1992 and the three men who relentlessly push the boundaries amidst trying times. Song Yunhui (Wang Kai) is highly intelligent but he has always been discriminated against due to his background. He grabs the chance to take the exams in 1978 and successfully becomes a qualified technician. However, just as he builds a foundation for his career, he also begins to lose himself in his thirst to climbs the ranks. Completely different from Song Yunhui is his brother-in-law Lei Dongbao (Yang Shuo). Being raised in a poor family, he is the typical rough and gruff man from a rural village. During the time of economic reform, he becomes a leader that the other villagers look up to, yet his lack of education ultimately impedes his initial motivations. Yang Xun (Dong Zijian) on the other hand brings a different set of encounters. He aspires to be a self-made man as he rides the tide of change to find business opportunities, thus embarking on a road to becoming an entrepreneur.

Cr Viki

Like a Flowing River 大 江大河 Viki Episodes

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Like a Flowing River 大 江大河 Viki Episodes

Wang Kai Official Soompi Thread

Ode To Joy 欢乐颂 Official Drama Thread

Battle of Changsha 战长沙 Official Drama Thread

Like A Flowing River 2 大江大河2 Soompi Thread

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to moderators 
@angelangie l akinahana89 l LavelyShai

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • sugarplum892 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Like a Flowing River 大​​​​​​​江大河

Watching this show and liking it. It gives us a very detailed history of the characters. It started with the story of Song Yonhui and his family, his sister Ping Ping in a small provincial village, the painstaking efforts of Yunhui and Ping Ping studying and applying for approval to the university for further studies. Because of their family being poor and the   politics of that time, the officials of the commune only approved for one of the siblings to further their studies. And here we see the older child and female giving up her hopes of studying. Ping Ping stays home with her parents and Yunhui goes to the university but sends books home for Ping Ping to study. (I cried when she cried). Then we meet Danbao who came home to the village of Xiaoleta after his military stint and became a leader of the commune starting businesses to become a more progressive village and improve the life of the villagers. In the meantime Yunhui was invited to teach part time at a secondary school and meets a young girl Shishen who first gave him a hard time but then ended up being her tutor and friend. Shishen has plans to go abroad in the US to be with her parents and study there. I have a feeling that the next years will see a grown up Shishen and a manly Yunhui being reunited. Ping Ping and Danbao go through a shyly progressive courtship and romance and got married. Danbao is smart and determined leader but he sometimes is rash, upfront and does not understand the rules of politics of leaders of communities that he gets in trouble with colleagues without knowing it but Ping Ping who is more informed counsels and guides him to do the right thing. (she reminds of Ruyi in RRLITP.) The drama may seem slow but it shows the detailed growth of each of the characters. I am anticipating to see the grown up characters of Yunhui and Shishen as am sure they will meet again and the progress of Danbao and his village. Ping Ping had started growing rabbits as her business to support herself before she got married and continued after marriage but she also continued going to school. I hope to see her also finishing her studies. In the meantime tension at the home of Danbao arises between Ping Ping and her mother in law as their opinions on how Danbao should perform as leader of the community and Danbao listens to his wife more than his mother

This drama is so well written and dramatized. The story telling is precise and the filming is detailed and favors accurate depiction of the villages, the costumes, and buildings even the schools in that period. The story flows smoothly as the Song family saga continues. I am at episode 21 and Ping Ping is pregnant and nearing time of delivery, Danbao however has problems as he lent money to an upcoming company at another village commune but that company is in trouble and unable to pay. A few old men led by old Macaque volunteer to be the debt collectors and as they go collect from the debtor they got beaten up. The village of Xiaoletjia's men marched to debtor's factory to revenge the beating and soon the police and the higher ups get involved. A worried Ping Ping goes into labor and was carried by the other members of her village to the clinic where she hemorrhaged and died. This is so sad. I loved the character of Ping Ping. She was smart, calm and wise. She went to village school to learn accounting and became the accountant for the village multiple enterprise. She is counselor, advisor and supporter of her husband Danbao. She like her husband is also an entrepeneur as she was the one who started the fur business of the village. Now she and her unborn baby died. I cried for the loss. The death of his wife and child beat and worn down Danbao like no other. He is a proud, strong, determined, smart and driven man and leader, an inspired entrepeneur. I don't know how long it will take him to recover from this anguished grieving. He loved his wife, his business partner, best friend and lover. I cried a bunch in this episode.

As for Yun Hui, his sister was also very precious to him. She was his guidance counselor, advisor, protector, motivator, character model and bestfriend. He had wanted his sister to go to college and finish her schooling as well but sister met Dangbao who was persistent in courting her as he was persistent in his business ventures and fell in love and got married. 

I also feel deeply for his loss. 

Episode 22, we are re introduced to the other main character Xiao Xun who was the bun peddler and he went to Dong Bui to try his luck at getting a job there. He ended up being a successful middle man goods trader enterpreneur. 

I was right, this genre is so not for me. I'm watching it as a way to get to know 80s more and I trust Daylight. The characters are all pretty well written and grow fairly organically. Pingping is probably my favourite character, I love her relationship with everyone and how she guides her brother and husband. Yknow what, I like the other (so far very minor) female characters too, the male characters have very noticeable faults that mean I have a love-hate relationship with them, even when they are very charming.

I am at episode 24-26: The use of modern technology researched and recommended by Yun Hui has become a point of contention between the old and the new leaders of Jinzhou Chemical Company. Shui the old leader and mentor of Yun Hui is convinced and believes in the research of Yun Hui and wants to change and modernize the technology versus what Fei and Liu recommended  the, FRC which is now being debunked and replaced in the other modern countries, that the new technology is safer and better. The oncoming leaders Lui and Fei also know about the research since Shui shared it with them. Shui was the one who led and guided the town of Jinzhou and it's factory to be what they are now the leading chemical company of the country. However, the new leaders are afraid that because of his support of the research, Shui will gain power and regain the leadership position as he always had. Fei the newly assigned manager forced Shui to resign but before that Shui took Yun Hui to Beijing to report and show the research of Yun Hui to the leaders in Beijing who are reading and studying the reports of Yun Hui. Even if Shui resigns Beijing and everyone else who cared to listen now know that it was Shui who first approached the leaders of Beijing and brought with him the talented Yun Hui who was the engineer who researched and recommended the change to a more modern, safer and more productive technology. Shui now is assured of his place in Jinzhou history as well as having Yun Hui in the company to continue his research and hopefully one day lead the company to a modernized, more functional and profitable one. Shui took Yun Hui to Beijing and showed the reports to the Beijing higher ups. Fei is afraid the Shui's resignation will not be accepted by the higher ups that he will stay on and take over Fei's position so Fei counteracted by having a meeting wilh all the upper management of the company together with Shui and Yunhui and get their own proposal the FRC approved and therefore force Shui to resign. However Shui was prepared and told them at the meeting that he had gone to Beijing and the report of Yun HUi was under review and being considered that there was no decision as to what technology is to be used. In short Beijing approved Yun Hui's research and the equipment and technology he recommended. Beijing transferred Fei out of the company, and Shui retains the leadership. 

This is the period between 1976-1992 after the death of Mao Zedong whose rule occurred one of deadliest famines in history where 20-45 million people died and where he launched a campaign, a program to remove "counter-revolutionary" elements in Chinese society marked by violent class struggle and widespread destruction of cultural artifacts. The program is now officially regarded as a "severe setback". And so the reactions between the older generation leaders is understandable where there remains the idea of class struggle. 

I love the character of Da Xun aka Sideburns who is the roomate and bestfriend of Yun Hui, who after the learning about the death of Yun Hui's sister Ping Ping promised himself to take care of Yun Hui. He tries to protect Yun Hui at the company. 

In the meantime, Danbao is enmeshed in grieving the death of his wife and child, lost in sadness he shuts himself in the darkness of the bedroom he once shared his beloved wife. The villagers and the cadre leaders who worked with him plead with his in laws to care for and help Dan Bao to rise from his depression for the sake of the villagers of Xiaolejia. 

Xiao Xun in the meantime is doing well with his business ventures. 

Political dramas are my kind of drama especially when the battles are presented subtly and deceptively.... as in what is happening in Jinzhou company and Xiaolejia village. 

On 12/25/2018 at 3:31 PM, skibbies said:

I'm watching it as a way to get to know 80s more and I trust Daylight.

this period occurred between 1976-1992 after the death of Mao Zedong in a communist China showing the reforms that happened after the violence that occurred during his rule. the story of the song family is quite toned down.... 

22 hours ago, zenya22 said:

this period occurred between 1976-1992 after the death of Mao Zedong in a communist China showing the reforms that happened after the violence that occurred during his rule. the story of the song family is quite toned down.... 

I think this specifically covers 1978-1988. Song Yunhui was reciting a paper from 1977 that published "late last year". Also because the book was written 10yrs ago about 30 years of economic reform (?). The Song family's story is toned down because they weren't the biggest targets of cultural revolution. Yunhui in general got pretty lucky with his local gov official too. We are on uhh 85? now. (around episode 35) There's a sequel that's not filmed yet, not sure if it'll cover 10 or 20 years. mhm.

It's keeping my attention more than Wenzhou Family anyways. It helps there's multiple protagonists with varying values and personality, and they are flying through the years so you see very rapid progression when a character decide to do something.

This is a really good show. A beautiful, heartwarming human drama. Very well-made and well-acted. It's probably the first C drama I've watched since Legend of Yunxi that I've enjoyed unreservedly. Undoubtedly it is a sophisticated production on every level. Stylistically it hits all the right notes. I like all the leads especially Ping Ping. It's always wonderful to see an intelligent, level-headed female character that one can get behind. The actor who plays Lei Dongbao is terrific in the role. Needless to say their courtship is delightful too. Of course the period is of interest to me as well... it more or less covers much of my growing up years.

In theory Chinese communism was meant to eliminate inequities in society but of course human nature being what it is, the system is only good as the people at the top who run it. And communism hasn't had a good track record anywhere it's been implemented. I think as we can see it creates different kinds of inequalities. The policies of Deng Xiaoping and the Pragmatists were enlightened in comparison to the tyranny of what came before and ushered a new era of prosperity. I don't think there's much debate that human beings generally need incentives to work hard... whether it's for self-interest, their family or for their community at large. However, the show demonstrates that individuals with intelligence, special talents, energy and insight should be employed regardless of their status for the good society. In other words, in order for societies to prosper, they need to respect individualism on some level. Some form of meritocracy does need to be in place for societies to flourish.

The more I watch this, the more astonish I am that this got made especially with the current political climate in China turning into a 1984 style dystopia on steroids. And the hardline taken by its leadership in certain quarters. China's gone beyond Big Brother. Perhaps it's the way I perceive and interpret the drama... focusing on the gradual liberalization of the economy and the elevation of key individuals in contributing to China's prosperity. ;) One of the highlights for me is seeing how the members of the Song--Lei family (who are the show's emotional core) interact and become a microcosm of the teething issues faced by China's fledgling industries. Among many things, I was surprised to see a debate, albeit an all too brief one, regarding the merits of planned vs market economies etc. I appreciate the show's honesty and balance in demonstrating how government bureaucracy could be a huge impediment to progress. On top of that, having a sympathetic character like Xiaohui undergoing such hardship to gain recognition despite his obvious intelligence and talents because of office politics and fear of change is commendable... and IMO true to life. 

There's no doubt that this is one of the best C dramas I've ever seen. I rank it up there with the two Nirvana in Fires and Vigilantes in Masks. Certainly it's one of the best dramas I've seen in 2018 and may be one of the best ever in any language. I had to stop myself from clicking Episode 21 yesterday, physically remove myself from my workspace in order to get on with some chores. I could've kept on watching because this show has a disarming way of keeping me interested in the happenings of the key characters and the local brigades. There's always something happening to either DB, PP, or XH, characters that I've come to care about. 

Thank you for your reviews @zenya22 @skibbies .  

34 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The more I watch this, the more astonish I am that this got made especially with the current political climate in China turning into a 1984 style dystopia on steroids.

I know it is a huge hit in China but I always worry about these C-drama period pieces are often thinly disguised Communist propaganda so @40somethingahjumma's posts have certainly peaked my interest.

This was on my "maybe" list but I think I will definitely try it out now.

Episode 34 .Yun Hui got himself a girlfriend who became his wife, Kaiyan the daughter of chief Cheng. Kaiyan had always been the one who initiated the contact or the chase in the courtship as Yun Hui was very busy with his job. Kaiyan set up the "dates" as in going to the movies or meals together which many a time was cancelled because Yun Hui was always busy. She was the one visiting him at his dorm or work place to bring him food and rarely do we see Yun Hui visit her at her parents house. It seems Yun Hui likes Kaiyan who is a "good cook" as far as he was concerned and was available but was not in love with her. There was not the challenge of a chase like we saw in the courtship of Danbao with Ping Ping. Ping Ping took her time "dating" village style to know Dang Bao as well as he to know her. Dangbao enjoyed chasing her. In the case of Yun Hui and Kaiyan, she did most of the chasing. She was always around and therefore taken for granted. Yun Hui is ambitious and intelligent who loves challenges in general. Kaiyan presented him with no challenge. When she went to see him he was always asleep dead tired from working or was working. When Kaiyan asked what qualities Yun Hui liked about her, he said, "you are a good cook". As an equal partner, like Ping Ping was to Dang Bao, it won't happen. Ping Ping was a go getter who worked hard as much as her husband and shared and understood her husband's responsibilities and work. Ping Ping was someone whom Dang Bao can talk to about work, family, villagers etc. Kaiyan on the other hand provides food and companionship to the movies and meals but it seems Yun Hui does not confide or discuss about his problems, accomplishments or projects, his motivations with Kaiyan. However, he keeps in contact with Shishen from America who shares and exchanges ideas and information about her life and Yun Hui about himself and their problems and challenges. A scene when they were already married and Danbao visited Yun Hui with his 2 cadre leaders to discuss business, Kaiyan appeared for short while to greet them, then was not seen for the rest of the scene. There was not the sharing and passion that we saw between Dangbao and Ping Ping. When Yun Hui taught Shishen's intermediate class, she challenged and questioned Yun Hui and got his attention and he became interested in her. They became friends and when she left for America, they kept in touch. It is as if Yun Hui is waiting for the student from America to grow up. 

In the meantime Yun Hui and engineers from his company went to Germany and purchased the new technology to be used in his company. They tested it, it worked well and is now in use at his company. He is now promoted to a Director position. So happy for him. 

Dan Xu aka Sideburns on the other hand was caught in a fight with a gang while he was out drinking with his buddies but apart from that he saw the officemate/former class mate of Yun Hui whom he hated because that officemate was a bootlicker at work and hit him with a stone while that office mate was waiting for a bus near where the fight started. Dan Xu was imprisoned and sent to the labor camps for 10 years. When Yun Hui went to visit Dan Xu his room mate and friend, at the police station he was also jailed until somebody from his work came to free him. Also interesting was how they showed Mr Wang being fined because the govt found out that he and his wife had another daughter. Violation of the one child policy which was terminated recently in 2015.  

Dang Bao facing so many challenges in his village one after the other. In the meantime, Yun Hui has softened his stance towards his brother in law. 

4 hours ago, raziela said:

I know it is a huge hit in China but I always worry about these C-drama period pieces are often thinly disguised Communist propaganda so @40somethingahjumma's posts have certainly peaked my interest.

Well, that was my problem with The Disguiser. ;) After a while the communist cheerleading got a bit much and I dropped it. I realise that the Guomingdang weren't exactly saints and angels of course but I couldn't stomach the idealism of the budding communists especially with the benefit of hindsight. It was a shame really with such a great cast and decent enough story.

I think this drama does a really good job of showing what happens when people are in transition especially when there are changes in the wind. There's no denying that people in the regional areas were in a bad way and in some cases living in abject poverty. The situation was woeful, exacerbated by poor leadership, acceptance of the status of quo, lack of education and despair. Change was needed to lift people out of those conditions but not everyone embraced the changes happily. As is usually the case. Others benefitted from the change while others lived in fear of it. People of vision, with a sense of mission, were needed to get things going but not everyone was amenable. The fact that a whole gamut of views and attitudes are represented here helps me to cope with whatever party cheerleading/flag-waving there might be. That's why I said in my first post that this is really a human story. ;)

The Disguiser is unfortunately the less cheerleading ones amongst its type of drama. I think that one largely excelled in using family angle and side flipping. Most dramas avoid positive or nuanced portrayal of KMT on the whole, Battle of Changsha did okay with it I guess? But that's a pretty different drama.

To my knowledge, the book this drama is based on is fairly historically accurate and the characters are all pretty flawed. (I've never read it though!) The drama changed some of it, made some characters more likeable but still flawed, so props to them. The three protagonists (I know it looks like two..) give glimpse of government owned enterprise, collective owned enterprise (?) and sole trader, three very different model of business that went through lot of changes and resistance during the period.

Regarding how the drama was made like this, it's specifically made, somewhat rushed too (fair amount of plot from third protag's is cut), broadcasted before year end to celebrate 40 years of economic reform, so it comes with strong government approval. Like all these meetings and official media discussing and openly praising it kind of approval. You know, now I'm wondering how many more departments besides SARFT it had to go through to be aired. (Court dramas had to be reviewed by court and police dramas have to be reviewed by police to ensure some things aren't too detailed and there's no loophole being talked about, or anything that might elicit copycat crimes etc)

Anyways, note that the central government were usually in favour of whatever the protagonists were doing or planning to do, it's just regional government and other people who are resistant to the change. Regardless of whether it's thinly veiled propoganda (I can't tell tbh, I think I have very different standards for them), there's enough clashing of ideas that it's not one side singing praise which is good enough for me. 

About it blowing up, It's topping rating chart with it broadcasting on two channels (Beijing TV is killing it this year) and topped the year end rating chart on douban. Good job Daylight, they truly know how to promote and produce serious dramas for both young AND old. The closest drama as comparison is probably In the Name of People? 人民的名义? But I haven't actually seen that so this is very much a "serious drama (non idol, non fantasy, non] school) that was financially and critically successful" comparison.

Archived