[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

29 minutes ago, feliset said:

by the way.. thank you for these translations. I love your interpretation of the kiss dialogue way more than what I've seen on the subbed previews haha. :love:

On that note, what's up with the G-rated kisses on this show? I don't watch a lot of asian dramas so I have no idea if this closed mouth lip pressing is standard or what. Sometimes they don't even look like they're getting eachother's lips straight on, it drives me nuts. The latest preview is a slight improvement on DS' part so I'm hoping they're just trying to show a progression as they get more comfortable with eachother. I couldn't help but laugh when on that beach party scene, they cut to other couples kissing and they all just literally looked like they were just cheek to cheek.  The slow motion closing in on the kiss from 3 different angles is a bit awkward too lol.

Yup. The kisses are awkward in this drama. But, as most of us have seen, it will get better. Hahahaha. DMS and SC's kisses are innocent, but still cute and makes you go :love: . I think they're much toned down compared to MG2001's DMS & SC kisses because of China's conservative censorship (perhaps one of the reasons why MG2001 was banned in China for awhile). Also, the actors are newbies (especially Shen Yue, who seems very shy when it comes to these things). In one of her interviews, she said that she prefers her tamed, shy A Love So Beautiful character compared to SC and any of her other roles. I don't mind the awkward kisses between DMS and SC. Their chemistry is still strong. What I do mind is Caina and Terrance's awkward father-and-daughter-like kisses. Thank god for the skip button. LOL. Poor Meizuo. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, feliset said:

by the way.. thank you for these translations. I love your interpretation of the kiss dialogue way more than what I've seen on the subbed previews haha. :love:

On that note, what's up with the G-rated kisses on this show? I don't watch a lot of asian dramas so I have no idea if this closed mouth lip pressing is standard or what. Sometimes they don't even look like they're getting eachother's lips straight on, it drives me nuts. The latest preview is a slight improvement on DS' part so I'm hoping they're just trying to show a progression as they get more comfortable with eachother. I couldn't help but laugh when on that beach party scene, they cut to other couples kissing and they all just literally looked like they were just cheek to cheek.  The slow motion closing in on the kiss from 3 different angles is a bit awkward too lol.

Regarding the kissing: G Rated kisses are totally the norm in Chinese dramas, and in many other Asian dramas as well.  Chaste kisses are very standard. Actually in many "youth dramas" there are no kisses at all, so Meteor Garden 2018 is actually one of the better Chinese youth dramas because we are getting lots of kisses with actual lip on lip touching. The kisses are pretty natural for the most part here  in this drama with both leads relaxed and both male and female leads are participating in the kiss scenes. Believe me when I say I have seen much worse kiss scenes  in my years of watching dramas.  So, I feel your pain! You are not the only one to be disappointed with the lousy drama kisses-it is one of the biggest complaints by Asian drama fans. 

Thankfully, the Asian drama kissing scenes have been getting better in recent years and there are dramas with great love scenes out there. Historically, Taiwan has always had good love scenes in its dramas, and is known for them in comparison to other countries. The original Taiwan Meteor Garden 2001 has really good kissing scenes where Shan Cai & Si share several passionate kisses.  Here's the MG 2001 kiss scene where Shan Cai & Si are looking at the meteor shower:

@feliset You’re so welcome!  It’s my pleasure to provide you pleasure haha.  I’ve translated it as close to the original subs as possible and those were very accurate to the actual Chinese dialogue. 

About why Si decided to go after SC I think it’s as simple as his possessive nature got triggered by Lei again. Just like at the beginning when Lei kissed SC, and when he was remembering about the Spider-Man toy. During the whole violin scene, with everyone buzzing about Lei making a declaration to SC with that display, Si was so jealous with that death grip on the window bar. He wanted to respect her decision but his nature took over and he couldn’t handle the thought of her being with someone else. The ending scene summed it all up when he went to Lei and declared “Shancai is mine”

Is there anywhere I can watch episode 31 and 32 with English subs? Does no one else sub it on other sites? It’s driving me up the wall that there are 32 episodes but Netflix only has 30=(

Sorry if this was asked before and answered but I went back a couple pages and didn’t find anything....

Ahhh so we are talking about kisses now. I'm actually quite happy with the kisses here maybe because I was not expecting much. Lol. Seriously though they were all pretty natural, because clearly, as we have discussed before, this might be their first ever serious relationship and they might be each other's first kisses. Atleast for SC, it's true. LOL. I really liked the meteor shower kiss in 23, it was really sweet and you can see some movement at least from Si's side while SC remained closed mouth. While it's justified there because she was still unsure back then, so yeah... And the tie kiss scene in 26 was also very cute and swoony, mainly because of the fact that SC was the one who initiated it. EEEEEEEEE. These two makes my heart flutters. Passionate kisses are awesome but sometimes I like the sweet kind. Atleast, they were not awkward like in Korean dramas. 

@rockee19 welcome to this thread!!!! Love when people unlurk and join us in the spazzing. Hehe. This drama clearly deserves more love. Agree with everything you said and I dare not open that link, i'm trying to avoid spoilers here. Strictly speaking I shouldn't even come here, but I can't help join in the discussion and folks here have been very kind to post any major spoiler under that spoiler box. 

8 minutes ago, sunnyfly said:

Is there anywhere I can watch episode 31 and 32 with English subs? Does no one else sub it on other sites? It’s driving me up the wall that there are 32 episodes but Netflix only has 30=(

Sorry if this was asked before and answered but I went back a couple pages and didn’t find anything....

Sorry, but I've only seen the raw episodes for 31-32. I feel your pain. Netflix is trolling us with the incomplete episodes. You feel like DMS going crazy:love::open_mouth: :weary: :bawling: :sweat_smile: I just get updates and watch short subbed clips from these sites:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MeteorGardenRebootOfficialPage/photos/?ref=page_internal

https://twitter.com/wanghediarchive

https://www.instagram.com/dylanwangchina/

17 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Ahhh so we are talking about kisses now. I'm actually quite happy with the kisses here maybe because I was not expecting much. Lol. Seriously though they were all pretty natural, I'm because clearly as we have discussed before this might be their first ever relationship and they might be each other's first kisses. Atleast for SC, it's true. LOL. I really liked the meteor shower kiss in 23, it was really sweet and you can see some movement at least from Si's side while SC remained closed mouth. While it's justified there because she was still unsure back then, so yeah... And the tie kiss scene in 26 was also very cute and swoony, mainly because of the fact that SC was the one who initiated it. EEEEEEEEE. These two makes my heart flutters. Passionate kisses are awesome but sometimes I like the sweet kind. Atleast, they were not awkward like in Korean dramas. 

@rockee19 welcome to this thread!!!! Love when people unlurk and join us in the spazzing. Hehe. This drama clearly deserves more love. Agree with everything you said and I dare not open that link, i'm trying to avoid spoilers here. Strictly speaking I shouldn't even come here, but I can't help join in the discussion and folks here have been very kind to not post any major spoiler under that spoiler box. 

That DMS and SC MG2001 necklace kiss scene though! Hahahhaa. K-drama kiss scenes have gotten better (i.e. What's Wrong With Secretary Kim). I also loved it when SC took the initiative on that kiss tie scene. That's why DMS was wearing a tie on that scene. The real purpose of men wearing neckties! LOL

Thanks for the warm welcome! I just couldn't resist anymore. I have so much thoughts about this drama that I need to share with someone besides my own to hold on to what's left of my asian drama sanity. LOL.

Sorry! I can't seem to figure out how to hide a spoiler link. Abort, abort! Do not click that instagram link. IT"S A MAJOR SPOILER. YOU MUST RESIST. I couldn't resist so I'm :love::skull::innocent: . LOL.

13 minutes ago, rockee19 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I just couldn't resist anymore. I have so much thoughts about this drama that I need to share with someone besides my own to hold on to what's left of my asian drama sanity. LOL.

my thoughts exactly lol. So happy I made an account.. I don't have a single friend watching.

To make a spoiler cut, you highlight the text and then click the little eye icon on the top right of the text box. I wouldn't count a link as a spoiler though, that's a cut in itself. :) Only those who seek spoilers (me!!!) will click through.

@Table122000 Ok yea that kiss though, hahahaa. Now I'm conflicted because like @kokodus mentioned, I guess there is something really sweet about their newb kisses. I think what I want is something between the 2001 make outs and the closed lip presses, LOL.

But yes, the necklace kiss and the tie kiss were pretty good. DS looked so good in necklace kiss closeup. :love:

4 hours ago, kokodus said:

I watched 32 raw last night. So what do you guys think made Si decide that he should go after SC again??? Lei's violin playing confession??? I still would like to believe that the reason why Lei did that was to provoke Si. Sigh. I think I'm doomed. LOL. @feliset Thanks for sharing those snippets from the manga. It was nice seeing SC acknowledge that Si is the only one for her. Hehe. My heart is filled completely and it almost makes me want to read the manga. 

Are people still debating if Lei's actions are meant to provoke Si or not? i thought every itsy bitsy thing Lei does, since he came back and saw glimer of affection for Si in SC's eyes ,  is meant to provoke the two of them to take action in the right direction.

4 hours ago, kokodus said:

I think I just have to accept the fact that Lei is in love with SC in this version as well. And somehow I can understand why he would be mad at Si for not protecting SC properly. It's really hard to read Lei so I'm going to take whatever he says out loud as true. Meh. 

I can't believe you are not even giving credit for Si for doing such a selfless thing, it's not everyday he does something like that. LOL. He is not Lei, whose middle name is Sacrifice. Hahaha. Seriously though, it was huge enough for him to even get manipulated into giving up. We can all agree that he has a bird's brain and can't think through stuff properly, thank God he has good friends in F3 who makes him understand what is good and bad. 

No.. no i am not saying DS doesn't make a sacrifice.. i'm only saying that his decisions and selfless acts are mostly for SC.. and not Lei per se or F4 (he couldn't be there for this other guy and when he was struggling with Ceina storyline, Lei has to constantly remind him to think about F4).. ( too "generous" to remember robot incident after 20 years and that was a deluded logic behind letting Lei have his thing.. which he clearly didn't :) .. )

45 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

. ( too "generous" to remember robot incident after 20 years and that was a deluded logic behind letting Lei have his thing.. which he clearly didn't :) .. )

Ehh Ehh don't throw shade on my Si puppy. LOL. I agree that he is too self centered and doesn't care about others. But I still think he will do anything for Lei. SI went for SC at first because he knew Lei was hung up on Jing. After that beach kiss between Lei and Si, he was mad but he still gave up on her, packed his bags and went to London. It was not until Lei told him that SC loves only Si, he comes back and actively pursue her again. Now in this week, when Lei said he want to go after SC now that Si and her have broken up, although he was very sad and it killed him to do that, he went and told SC that they should break up for good and even went as far as to throw away that necklace. So what I'm trying to say is that Si is indeed self centered and doesn't give a richard simmons about others but Lei and SC are special cases, lol.  At this point I think he truly believed that Lei would be able to protect her better than himself. Sighhh.

@rockee19 I love your dp. And no don't ask sorry, Links can't be considered as spoilers. I'm using my last bit of self control to resist opening all the spoiler boxes here. Dangit! LOL. I won't last long, I'll eventually give in anyways. About men wearing ties, have you seen Queen in hyun's man, there is a scene where the female lead says the same thing. LOL. I love that drama. 

@mouse007 It was you who talked about It started with a kiss and They kissed again, right??? I'm sorry I forgot to reply to your post. You have no idea how much I love that show. It's not the Chinese version, it's the Taiwanese one. Zhi shu used to be my crush for so long. LOL. And yes I love love the second season more because they really showed how marriage is not the HEA and the real struggle happens only after it. There were WAYYYYY too many cute and sweet kisses. That drama really goes down the history of dramaland as the sweetest love story ever made. LOL. Ohhh now I wish we see Si and SC post-marriage. I want to see how their day to day life will be like. I at least need a fanfiction. LOL

41 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Ehh Ehh don't throw shade on my Si puppy. LOL. I agree that he is too self centered and doesn't care about others. But I still think he will do anything for Lei. SI went for SC at first because he knew Lei was hung up on Jing. After that beach kiss between Lei and Si, he was mad but he still gave up on her, packed his bags and went to London. It was not until Lei told him that SC loves only Si, he comes back and actively pursue her again. Now in this week, when Lei said he want to go after SC now that Si and her have broken up, although he was very sad and it killed him to do that, he went and told SC that they should break up for good and even went as far as to throw away that necklace. So what I'm trying to say is that Si is indeed self centered and doesn't give a richard simmons about others but Lei and SC are special cases, lol.  At this point I think he truly believed that Lei would be able to protect her better than himself. Sighhh.

Possibly, but then he wanted to have a serious talk with SC and as always she was making a joke out of it.. which kind of flipped him..

its confusing if he really gave it up for Lei 

On Fanfictions: someone make Lei X DS :)

Finally caught up with the drama, but still can't believe it that gotta have to deal with Netflix not airing everything and gotta keep waiting for get the rest of the episodes with subtitles. 

Anyways, here's a little spoiler. :D

Spoiler

Credit to instagram owner oerhath

Hey can someone one confirm me whether Caina is gone for good or not by 30th ep??? She and Terrace guy got together? Finally??? Why is no one celebrating that? LOL. Or did I miss anything? Is she still around??? Dangit!

@enigmatic_zephyLei and Si FF sounds good, though I'm not much of a BL person. But the bromance here is real! LOL. 

So I watched the Lei serenading violin clip and after thinking about Lei and SC I do believe Lei is doing this to egg on DS. You clearly see her go to push Lei away when she possibly sees DS watching threw the window and he tells her not to be in a hurry to push him away etc. that’s not like Lei at all. He would never make her do something she didn’t want to do or force her to keep letting him hug her. I believe he’s doing it purposely so that DS sees and it sparks that fire in him. 

I believe Lei still thinks SC is conflicted with her feelings between the two of them and he’s going all lengths to show SC that he is interested to make her face her feelings and truly pick who she wants to be with to end this back and forth over all. 

But then Lei goes to London to win her back again. I’m not sure why but I’m thinking DS and his mom have a fight and SC is there and she either calls Lei to talk to him about it or Lei finds out something happened and that sent him over the edge and he is sick of seeing her cry and now he wants to see is DS will finally stick up to his mom for SC once and for all?

but then you see DS and SC run to eitherother which looks like it’s in London. Is that after she gets in the car with Lei? Does she get in the car with Lei? Oh. My. God. My life right now!! Lol i hate waiting. It is such a curse to have a personality hat is just so inpatient I have to make up scanerios in my head to somehow make this love triangle all OK lol. 

Though it is is kind of annoying that DS needs a push all the time to fight for something that he has always been saying is his. If SC was his wouldn’t he not need so many triggers to go and fight for her?

After all of the posts trying to figure out 

do lei really loves Sc and wants her for himself ( to provide a calmer more stable relationship) or is he legit messing with Si feelings to wake himup as a bestfriend !!? 

Well Why cant he feel Both ways ?

human feelings are not one dimentional after all 

as mush as he do love si and sc very mush and wants them to be dramafree and happy around him 

he really does devlope romantic feelings towars sc ! ( and that is comfirmed in the og manga and on some behaviors  in this drama too)

Ofc Its not comparable to Si tho 

si is passion and fire , possessivness and stuborn love 

lei is soft , selfless and kinda on the moment !

He loves you but would most of the time give you space to breath and act on your own heart too

what im trying to say here is lei is neither bad or good ! He is just trying his best okey ? XD 

(we all know who sc ends up with anyways ! So the effort of lei should at least be apreciated somehow xD)

Spoiler

In the japversion he is even gonna marry them ffs :,) 

imagine how mush of a good heart you gotta have ro marry the girl you have?/had feelings for and your bestfriend 

—————————-

on another note , im so glad people are joining us more and more here

it feels like a safe space for every hanadan crazy fan xD

i felt the same as everyone at fist and just needed a space to vent or share my fav moments with people that actually gets « it »

now i have to check this place everyday lol

so yeah WELCOME EVERYBODY :D

5 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Possibly, but then he wanted to have a serious talk with SC and as always she was making a joke out of it.. which kind of flipped him..

its confusing if he really gave it up for Lei 

I just rewatched that scene and did you notice he was extra hard on her and kept cutting her off. LOL. It's understandable that he would lash out at her after she left him alone like that, but even when she is trying to tell the valid reason why she did what she did, he rudely cuts her off and just abruptly asks for them to break up for good. And after she gave him the necklace, he looked up at her and saw her crying, I totally thought he got softened at that moment, but he also doesn't want her to be hurt anymore and that's why he threw the necklace away???

Also the part where he walks off after throwing the necklace was more painful. Even from the back he looked the saddest, you can see him wiping his face/tears while walking back. SIGHHHHHH. 

1 hour ago, Tabatha Bernier said:

Though it is is kind of annoying that DS needs a push all the time to fight for something that he has always been saying is his. If SC was his wouldn’t he not need so many triggers to go and fight for her?

Ikr?!?!?! I wonder where is the guy who said he would chase after her even if she goes to Mars??? He didn't even follow her to the nearby fishing village. I am so disappointed in him. Tsk tsk. 

And Lei plays with my feelings, seriously, it's ok if he plays with Si and SC's feelings....but he is legit making me go crazy. LOL. 

On a serious note I, I think we can all conclude the violin playing scene is indeed an act to provoke both Si and SC because he just saw SC madly like a crazy woman searching for something that Si gave her. I don't think even after seeing SC like that, he would dare go and pursue her. That is the turning point for him, if he ever had any feelings for SC that is. 

Hey everyone, let me just start off that I had to create a new account just so I can join in. My old one is so teenybopperish, it makes me shiver (registered in 2006)!

I am a die hard Rui/Lei/Jihoo supporter. It doesn't matter which actor plays this role because I will only have eyes for him. :wub:

Having said that, I HATED how dead Lei looked in the initial episodes. It pissed me the hell off and I couldn't stop comparing him from Lei 2001 and Jihoo. I mean, those guys showed far more emotion than the current Lei! I'm trying to figure out when Lei really fell for SC because just like in MG 2001, I cannot pinpoint when! There were so many missed opportunities when the writers could have explored this angle... when SC fell during DS's party, Lei was just standing there :angry:! When SC walked in on DS and XZ, WTF (seriously WTF!!!) was that "there, there *pat pat*" by Lei???? Not even a hug?! Ugh makes me so angry thinking about it!

Speaking of kisses... excuse me, my boy actually kissed SC a bit more properly (albeit, still subdued) during the beach scene. He parted his lips ever so slightly and that's so much better than the rest of the kisses in this drama, so far. Watch it again :D

I wish the writers could have given us a bit more to convince that Lei's feelings are authentic. That he's not doing what he's doing to prove a point to DS. I do think Lei  genuinely loves SC but he's had enough of their immaturity. After all, he's backed off from pursuing SC, and yet these 2 can't seem to stay together for more than a couple of days! He's probably like, "what's the point of backing off?" his sacrifice is so useless seeing DS and SC fight all the time. This is what *I* would feel if I were him and it would genuinely annoy the hell out of me.

My poor Lei... he will never have a happy ending for the rest of eternity.

For the people that have noticed that this version have a more introvert 

hard-to-express any feelings really  « Lei » /rui 

Well they presented him at the very first episodes as part of the spectrum ! 

And that he was even worst as a kid ( litteraly not even talking to anybody or being able to show emotionsat all ) till Jing (and the f4) managed to help him get better 

^ that's always been Rui's/Jihoo's/Lei's back story though. Although, in the manga, it stated that it was his father's strictness that caused him to be "autistic". I'm not sure what they know about "autism" in 1992 (when the manga was written) but maybe Rui should have been aptly described as someone with a social impairment instead of being on the spectrum because it's myth that people with autism are unable to show emotions. Maybe Asperger's or Alexithymia?

Anyway... I digress. :)

Archived