[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

12 hours ago, lan_lan said:

A translation from subs of that whole preview for you here.   @kokodus DO NOT OPEN FOR YOU WILL SPOIL YOURSELF :warning:

Hide contents

SC: I'm not prepared yet...

MS: If I give you time to prepare, you'll surely run away

SC(to herself): He's figured me out

MS: You really have no idea... that this expression of yours...makes me the most sensitive. (t/n: that's a direct trans, but in other words, it turns him on haha)

Then after the kiss, DMS being DMS killed the mood for a girl...<_<

MS: Shancai, you're too short.  I have to bend all the way down like this

SC: Who asked you to do this everytime?

MS: Why don't you lift your head up higher... so that I can also hug you?

SC: I'm so nervous I could die... how can I still think about that?

MS: What do you have to be nervous about?  Not even just a little bit...(ref. to cooperating for a better kissing position).  Be more confident for me.

Full long preview of episodes 33 + 34

Hide contents

Extra preview:

Hide contents

The start of the arc when he called the police on her because he couldn't find her for a whole day lmao.

@lan_lan thank you so much for these!! You made my day! I just needed to know what was being said between Si and SC so I can have some peace of mind and have something to look forward to after all the heartache we've had to go through this week. Btw, do you know what SC said to Si after she got off the bus? 

I love how this version of MG has a nice way of balancing heartache  and humor at times. Like how the bus scene is painful but then the just when they're about to touch and the cop shows up. Hahaha! Made me LOL hard.

From the preview, it looks like Lei tells SC to turn off her phone for 48 hours while knowing that Si would be trying to contact her. Seems like an underhanded move on Lei's part but maybe that's just how the preview makes it seem. I can't remember clearly but I thought in the other versions, Lei confessed to SC during the amnesia arc but maybe I'm wrong?

To be honest, Lei in this version of MG has to be my favorite Lei because:

1. The Lei in the other versions were not as handsome IMO. LOL
  2. The Lei in this version does a good job of balancing his introverted side while also being vocal with his thoughts and proactively helping his friends Si and SC.
  3. He is not as passive as the other versions. I feel like in this version, he is more thoughtful, mature and really knows the people around him which is why he is able to help them.

Can I also say that in episode 29 when they all dressed up to be their highschool versions with Caina, Si had me laughing because the entire time his face said "I really don't want to do this". Hahaha! It was just so comical that he was doing all these silly things like running around and blowing bubbles and yet his face was pure contradiction to what his body was doing. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Table122000 said:

So I've seen up to Netflix ep. 29: Loved it when Shancai took the initiative and kissed Si! Too cute. And I agree with others here-the camera angle during their walk was so cool! So sad with the breakup in the rain-:tears: However, I like it that in this version she tells Si the reason she is breaking up with him is because of his Mom's threats against her friends. In the Korea version she just leaves him and gets on the bus.

Monkey girl is back and I'm liking her character. It was nice to see her interacting with the gang. It did make me wish we could have seen more of the development of her friendship with Shancai, just so her re-appearance would have a bit more weight to it and not seem quite so random.

Caina/Meizou: Once again, it felt draggy and I wasn't feeling too sympathetic towards Caina. Girl, make up your mind already! Terence: What do you see in this young woman? Was the sex really that great during your holiday romance/one night stand?  As for the schoolboy/schoolgirl montage--What in the heck did I just watch??!-Hahahahaha! LOL! What a waste of precious minutes. Just when I though this story was finally wrapping up, no, another misunderstanding. Please let it wrap up next episode. The writers better do a way better job with the Ximen/Xiaoyou storyline. 

@Table122000 hahaha! I also thought the same! I was like "what is going on?!" I mean, it seemed pretty silly and I can't believe they thought that would work as a way for Caina to fall for Meizuo. Like, really?! And all 4 of them went along with it!

1 minute ago, lan_lan said:

@mouse007 You're welcome :) 

Hide contents

After Shancai got off the bus and came running back she said "You idiot!  Do you know what you just did was really dangerous?"

@lan_lan thank you so much!

I really loved this in the beginning, even with the silly 'he sexually harassed me, bullied me, and intimidated me, but I still have feelings for him' thing. Mainly because I like Shen Yue and Connor Leong and Caesar Wu, (Caesar... if I were 20 years younger...)

HOWEVER... They are dragging it out waaaay too long... I think I'll have to stop watching. I just can't stand all the padding and fluff. I've begun fast forwarding through lots of it. I was hoping to see more of the 'tea romance', anyway.

If I have the amnesia trope to look forward to, then I think I really will stop watching altogether.

Been watching silly Taiwanese dramas with Joseph Chang <3, and the current one with the amnesia thing is more than overload of that.

Honestly, Meteor Garden is turning into "Days of our Lives' it looks like MG will have the same 25 year run, all about nothing at this rate.

I've ceased looking forward to the Netflix upload... it's becoming like a particularly onerous duty.

At the moment, I'd like it if Thomas came back and took Shancai away forever, just so everyone can move forward and Si would leave the Daoming and go make his own money... which he's making anyway, little finance whiz... right... why doesn't he buy a house, get Mrs Yu to run it, and just marry the girl already? OH, WAIT... that's right... 'Days of our Drearies' plotline... uuuurggghhhh.

8 minutes ago, jianjianjian said:

I really loved this in the beginning, even with the silly 'he sexually harassed me, bullied me, and intimidated me, but I still have feelings for him' thing. Mainly because I like Shen Yue and Connor Leong and Caesar Wu, (Caesar... if I were 20 years younger...)

HOWEVER... They are dragging it out waaaay too long... I think I'll have to stop watching. I just can't stand all the padding and fluff. I've begun fast forwarding through lots of it. I was hoping to see more of the 'tea romance', anyway.

If I have the amnesia trope to look forward to, then I think I really will stop watching altogether.

Been watching silly Taiwanese dramas with Joseph Chang <3, and the current one with the amnesia thing is more than overload of that.

Honestly, Meteor Garden is turning into "Days of our Lives' it looks like MG will have the same 25 year run, all about nothing at this rate.

I've ceased looking forward to the Netflix upload... it's becoming like a particularly onerous duty.

At the moment, I'd like it if Thomas came back and took Shancai away forever, just so everyone can move forward and Si would leave the Daoming and go make his own money... which he's making anyway, little finance whiz... right... why doesn't he buy a house, get Mrs Yu to run it, and just marry the girl already? OH, WAIT... that's right... 'Days of our Drearies' plotline... uuuurggghhhh.

Which Taiwan drama is that?

2 hours ago, jianjianjian said:

lmao u r funny. I agree with u though bc this is 40 ep longer than the previous MG. I like their lovely dovey scenes but I can't wait till the story is going along again. I dont care for Ximen or was it Meizou storyline with the heiress gal, they r boring...I'm forced to fast forward their scenes. Although I did like their high school uniforms....so cute!! Not sure how involved the minor characters were in the manga, but I dont particularly care for them in the drama. Finally, SC admits and recognized her feelings for Ah Si :)!!! Girl was playing hard to get for so long! I wouldn't mind Thomas swoop right in and date SC for awhile, he is handsome!!! And it was nice to see bad boy DMS again....but I also like sweet DMS! 

14 hours ago, lan_lan said:

I think the show has decided to cut and take from those moments and shuffle it around to other scenes so it’ll have more impact?  Instead of repeating them.  It looked like those two things you mentioned(frantically looking and emotional hug) are now a part of next week’s eps before the bus and after the police station. 

@rimjayc

I agree that it doesn't hv to be exact imitation. But for me, it disrupts the feel that the scenes are supposed to have. 

For instance, when Sanchai was kicked out of the house and Si looked for her frantically. When he finally found her (she didn't even know he looked for him until she heard his message on her phone) and they hug each other, you can feel that Sanchai was truly grateful for what he did..that he found her despite her not telling him her whereabouts..that you can feel that she really falls for him at this point. While I don't feel the same in this new version..esp when Sanchai was like "What u doing here?" when Si appears.. U.U

Also that bus scene..it marks how Sanchai made up her mind to be with A Si despite the obstacles..that she only wants to be with him and stops lying to herself. In this new version, the police appearance disrupts that whole touching flow. Sure. They'll hug after she comes out of the station..but it doesn't have the same impact and feel... 

Ah for the 48 eps..there are lots of filler, ofc. But I think the producers make it to 48 eps to include MG season 1 and 2 together.. It won't only comprise of MG2001 only (as it didn't cover amnesia trope). I only hope they handle amnesia trope as beautifully as HanaDan. MG2 version was too painful to watch. 

On 8/9/2018 at 7:24 AM, lan_lan said:

A translation from subs of that whole preview for you here.   @kokodus DO NOT OPEN FOR YOU WILL SPOIL YOURSELF :warning:

Whoa, thank you!!! Keep watching this for hours! Si's staring at her is so intense lol :D. It seems like they're in SC's house (???). The kiss kinda reminds me of Jerry and Barbie's kiss after he gave her the meteor necklace.... 

6 hours ago, lan_lan said:

I wouldn’t have even minded the extra Caina scenes if it made sense.  Why not use Tianye as the third leg in that triangle. I definitely felt the SiCai separation anticipating when they were going to have scenes again. But that uncle just randomly came out of nowhere.  The only thing that got me through those scenes was getting F3/4 moments interspersed throughout. I can’t emphasized enough how in love I am with their bromance in this version. 

Yes, I agree with you @lan_lan  the Meizou/Caina storyline would have been OK if it had been better written and more integrated into the overall drama. As I have said in previous posts, I was excited to see Meizou get his own storyline, but then it just went downhill.  It's too bad. 48 episodes is a lot of time to fill, and I was hoping that this version would have some really great side stories to help fill that time, along with enough  time given to the main characters for character development.

4 hours ago, jianjianjian said:

I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately, the drama is beginning to suffer from problems with writing, editing, and pacing issues. I was also hoping to see more from the Ximen/ Xiaoyou storyline than we have gotten so far.  Having said that, I find that this drama is following pretty close to the source material of the manga, and the manga is definitely a teen soap opera. :)

4 hours ago, mouse007 said:

hahaha! I also thought the same! I was like "what is going on?!" I mean, it seemed pretty silly and I can't believe they thought that would work as a way for Caina to fall for Meizuo. Like, really?! And all 4 of them went along with it

Haha! Yeah, the schoolboy/schoolgirl sequence was pretty ridiculous all around. Although F4 did look hot in those uniforms. I agree as a ploy to get Caina to fall for Meizou it was doomed to fail. For guys that are supposed to be "playboys" , they really do not seem to understand women, LOL!

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

People complain if they cut stuff then complain if its draggy , you can easily skip draggy parts.

Ive watched shows that are 80 episodes,90 episodes.. 40 episodes are not draggy if you enjoy watching it. 

Exactly what I was going to say. C dramas are usually like this. They give more importance to side characters, which may or may not be a good thing. I have watched dramas only for the side couples before. And I don't hesitate to skip scenes. It took me not more than half an hour to finish both 28 and 29 yesterday. Lol. I don't think it's draggy at all. Because so much has happened between Si and SC and each and every incident has only made their bond stronger than ever. She started out hating him to the guts, then slowly started seeing his good side, they became friends, Si had a hard time conveying his feelings, misunderstandings happened and then he finally confessed, SC couldn't believe a guy like Si would like her, she started leaning towards him without knowing and took a brave step to give this relationship a go despite knowing how different their social statuses are....and now they are faced with an obstacle in the name of mom, and we all know that they overcome this as well. I don't usually like slow burn romances but it somehow works out here because of their differing personalities. It is not easy for two head strong people to be together. Lol. 

Oh man. I've been so behind because I've been moving! I've peeked at the board throughout even though I haven't had a chance to watch! Just got up to ep 27. I'm really following the thread to see what parts I need to skip lol

Honestly, I've skipped through ALL the Caina + Meizou parts..sorry guys. Like others have said, I feel like I was already invested in Ximen / Xiayou and would have liked that to have progressed first with bits of Caina + Meizou interspersed to get me interested in these newish characters. Then I probably wouldn't have minded the older guy subplot thing. They also def lack chemistry so it makes it boring and I'm just annoyed that it takes up half the episode and away from my SC/DS moments. Also, like others have said the Ximen/Xiayou storyline was my favorite in the K-drama, and I feel like they're well past the point of bringing meaning to the relationship but realistically since we only have 29 episodes so far, theres still that chance

I do love Lei's character in this one. He's a bit more assertive and you can understand his logic a bit more, don't need to play guessing games between him and SC because you know from affirmative actions and words that he loves SC. To bad it's too late at this point but I can't help but love and love to watch the development of his friendship with SC when she needs him most. It's really beautiful

28 minutes ago, angelangie said:

i hate memories lost scenes :x nvr like it.....and will never accept it either :x

me too, it's traumatic. How almost all of the episodes in MG 2  tell about DMS and Yessa falling in love, as if SC was knocked out and became the second lead. Maybe PD-nim wants to show SC's love for DMs with all the effort to make DMS recall, but it's too much and make  SC like the third person in DMS and Yessa's relationship. Up to the point that I became a supporter of Lei, I really hoped SC and Lei were married at that time (I was too hateful about the memory-lost character of DMS). And the final part of the MG 2 , hoel is not enough to satisfy. SC and DMS have various obstacles but are not married at the end (just kissing) :phew:

If PD-nim keeps making a memory loss scene, please give just one episode like in the K-drama version :grimace:

Hi, I'm new here. :) Been following the thread and finally decided to make an account so I can join in on the conversation.

I'm a big HYD anime/manga fan and other than a brief interest in the taiwanese meteor garden back then, I never really got into any of the other dramas (korea, japan) until NOW. Oh my god, I am so deep into the 2018 MG it's ridiculous. I only started a few days ago but I marathoned 25 episodes in 3 days and am now caught up. ;) I love the cast, the sets, the fashion, everything! Even with the small changes, I just love that it's staying true to the manga in ways that other remakes didn't or couldn't because the manga hadn't ended yet. I love love love the softer DMS. I've always been a fan but it was hard to look past some of his more violent and questionable behaviours. I love the 2018 Lei as well. His aloofness in the manga would annoy me sometimes. Darren Chen does a great job at making him more likeable.

Funny how some people feel like it's dragging. The manga took over a decade to end so this feels MUCH faster in comparison haha. I'm already mourning the end of the series. I almost wish the episodes weren't released so frequently so that the experience could last longer. Can someone explain to me Netflix's release schedule? The wait over the weekend for ep 26 was agonizing.

I find the level of comic/drama in this series matches well with the manga as well. I know people are complaining about some scenes not being as meaningful such as the bus scene,

Spoiler

but the police interruption of the reunion comes straight from the manga. I actually find that they've amped up the drama.. Like the necklace throwing preview feels way sadder than I remember it in the manga. Based on all the previews, this whole arc seems more heartbreaking and serious now that they swapped out the weird fake cousin and put Lei in his place as a love rival. I can't tell if Lei is doing this as some weird way of helping SC and DMS back together or if he's being serious. In the violin playing preview, I'd say he looks pretty serious. In the manga, he does realize he loves her but that doesn't come until a future arc. 

I'm not a fan of the Caina plotline either but I tolerate it. I actually like her chemistry with Terence but her and Meizuo are painful to watch together. I'd prefer if they put more focus back on Ximen/Xiaoyou again too. I'm really curious where the series will take that plot. I'm not a big fan of how their story turned out in the manga and based on some spoiler pics of the cast

Spoiler

with Xiaoyou sporting short hair and a girl that is possibly Ximen's exgf,

I think it may be headed the same way. I feel like they seriously played down his womanizing side in the 2018 series though so I'm hopeful for something a little different. What happened in the korean drama?? I see some comments saying they loved how their story played out in that one and I'd love to know. :)

@feliset welcome to soompi and welcome to this thread!!!! You should take time and watch the J version, it may not follow the manga accurately but good it had many cute moments. And I think it's the only version that portrayed Makino's character really well. She is called a tough weed and she stays true to her name, I wouldn't recommend K version because of how they made Jandi's character so weak. But it still had it's moments and it's my first kdrama so I would always have a soft spot for Lee Min Ho. Kekeke. 

As for Ximen/Xiao You's arc in K version...

Spoiler

They get together in the end. They had their own side story and the writer really took time to develop the characters, unlike here where Ximen is not fleshed out fully yet. Sighhh. It's been 30 eps and he still reamins just as a Tea Guy. It's painful. Yi Jung and Ga Eul on the other hand had a thing going on from the early eps and theirs is one cute story. 

Love the scene where DMS slept at Lei's house and Lei was being so funny how he can't do anything right by DMS. DMS commented on butt facing butt is too funny. Love those sweet moments of them. SC oh SC....I can tell she loves Ah Si libe, but she is really kind and thoughtful towards her friends. I forgot how evil and terrifying Daoming Feng was!!! She may be rich and smart, butshe lacked emotional intelligence and kindness. Like SC says, she uses people and take advantage of them. She is selfish and self-centered. She only cares about her needs, she neglected her children----she is sad in a way too. I'm actually excited to see how they will play out the lost memory part?? 

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

@feliset welcome to soompi and welcome to this thread!!!! You should take time and watch the J version, it may not follow the manga accurately but good it had many cute moments. And I think it's the only version that portrayed Makino's character really well. She is called a tough weed and she stays true to her name, I wouldn't recommend K version because of how they made Jandi's character so weak. But it still had it's moments and it's my first kdrama so I would always have a soft spot for Lee Min Ho. Kekeke. 

As for Ximen/Xiao You's arc in K version...

Reveal hidden contents

They get together in the end. They had their own side story and the writer really took time to develop the characters, unlike here where Ximen is not fleshed out fully yet. Sighhh. It's been 30 eps and he still reamins just as a Tea Guy. It's painful. Yi Jung and Ga Eul on the other hand had a thing going on from the early eps and theirs is one cute story. 

Thank you! I may revisit the j version again one day.. I did watch one ep and I just didn't connect with the characters though I guess I didn't give it a solid chance. It's even harder for me now that the style feels dated. This is even more true with the Taiwan MG haha. I was in HS when it came out so not super young, but the styling and old technology still makes it hard watch now.

I like 2018 SC in a lot of ways but I do think her portrayal is missing some of Makino's true 'tough weed' essence. SC's fighting attitude feels more defensive than a selfless fight for justice.

I like the sound of the ximen/xiao you arc in K version. :)

Spoiler

In the manga, I know Yuki said she was happy with how her story ended with Soujirou. But the no strings attached sex she offered him after he admits he doesn't think he can ever really fall in love with her just wasn't enough for me haha. It was very grown-up and realistic, but this is fiction and I like my happy endings. I wanted more for her.

Xiaoyou is sooo cute and I love how sweet Ximen is with her so I'm really hoping for a bit more from him in this series.

7 hours ago, feliset said:

I'm a big HYD anime/manga fan and other than a brief interest in the taiwanese meteor garden back then, I never really got into any of the other dramas (korea, japan) until NOW

The Japanese version has the best ending so far. In the end of season 1 Makino finally confess to Doumyoji, in season 2 he propose to her after her graduation and in the final movie they got married. So maybe you can try watching it :D. The elevator scene in season 1 is one of the best scene, it was done very beautifully. Also I really like Makino character in this version, such a tough girl. 

By the way I'm really curious about something. Is Doumyoji Tsukasa's name in Chinese language character is Daoming Si? Or it's just created by Angie Chai and her team? Because Shancai's name means weed too, like Makino Tsukushi's.

i can officialy say that ep 28/29 are easly my least favorite episodes of the show 

it was so boring and dragy 

( i mean i understand they want to establish cainas plot and show her side of the story ! but its just sooooooo dull and sadly her and meizuo have 0chemstry in my eyes ! 

he is really cute especialy when he talked about how mush he liked her in from of the guys at the tea salon ! but omg as soon as they are both in the same scene ... its just flat !HELL IM LOWKEY STARTING TO THINK SHE IS BETTER WITH TERRANCE )

also doi have to point out that cringyass CF scene for the drink and food ect xD ? 

i laughed for a minute ! but dont get wrong THEY LOOKED HELLA GOOD in that uniforme ! F4 fever forever 

tumblr_pd5nag0e8n1utfw96o3_540.gif

its funny how you can almost callout their personalities just by this gif lol 

we also had a major jackass doaming si for those 2eps! hitting his friends ! being rude to everybody ect 

but somehow drinking his soymilk when lei is  asking him to ( DONT WE LOVE THOSE TWO ugh ... i really dont feel like seeying them fight very soon xD)

i mean look at them hahaha 

Spoiler

i understand si heartbreak and can feel that he is gonna lose it very soon now that sanshai is gonna be in his face again *sigh*

Archived