[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

1 minute ago, feliset said:

Yes exactly!! You’ve just written out everything I felt about that rooftop scene. I get that they had to rush through the plot line to fit it in but it just really felt off to me. I agree they should have developed the Xm/XY story better. Also I think it would have helped if they scaled back XM/XG initial reaction to seeing eachother. When she left to go cry in the bathroom about still loving him so much after all these years, I really felt for her. Then all of a sudden it’s like psych, I don’t love u anymore. 

@feliset yes! That bathroom scene really made me feel for her. They also mentioned in the previous episode that she hadn’t dated anyone so it made you think that she’s kept a special place for Ximen all these years and that although she thought she was over it, seeing him again reminded her of how much she really loves him. So ya it didn’t make sense to end it all so abruptly. 

In some ways this version also made XY seem creepy in that she’s so fixated on him beyond logic. 

Honestly, it felt like they gave the Caina and Terrence story more thought and effort than they did with Ximen and XY. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

@feliset yes! That bathroom scene really made me feel for her. They also mentioned in the previous episode that she hadn’t dated anyone so it made you think that she’s kept a special place for Ximen all these years and that although she thought she was over it, seeing him again reminded her of how much she really loves him. So ya it didn’t make sense to end it all so abruptly. 

In some ways this version also made XY seem creepy in that she’s so fixated on him beyond logic. 

Honestly, it felt like they gave the Caina and Terrence story more thought and effort than they did with Ximen and XY. 

Man, haven't seen the episode yet but I did love Ximen and XG ha in that one like 10 minute clip of their history. REALLY REALLY agree and wish they developed XY + Ximen better.. like..they both are tea experts but you only see XY drinking tea but not discussing it in any way haha... why did Ximen start to really like her other than thinking she was cute and calling her cute and vice versa in the earlier episodes. WHHHHYY do they like each other, other than the superficial ways. Ya, why the heck is she so fixated on him other than his good looks and bad boy images? Why would she want to sacrifice herself in that way for this guy? We know she's had boyfriends before (even that jerk of a one).. Their interactions even in the cabin were just surface stuff and the development starts to bloom but never ever blossoms.. le sigh..it could have been so good esp like in the K-drama version. 

11 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

Right???? And when they were talking about missing their once in a lifetime moment back then when he didn't show up on the rooftop, I was just like.. what? But you guys are together now! Come on! Make it happen. It frustrated me just as much as DS's 'lets be happy like this together in our next lives'. lol What about now???

@maisquaredI agree that 10m of XG/XM history did more in selling that relationship than all the episodes they spent on XM/XY.  I think they started off right. I loved their casual interactions in Canada and really loved when he helped her with her jerk boyfriend. I was rooting for them already then. Didn't love him being a jerk himself to her the next times they hung out. That's when it started to go wrong for me.

1 hour ago, mouse007 said:

Anyone else missing episode 46 on Netflix today? It’s weird bec it jumps from ep 45 to 47. So annoying!!! 

I just checked my NF and episode 46 is missing for me as well. I contacted Netflix and reported the missing episode. They said that there was a glitch in the system and that they were aware of the problem witth the episode and were currently working on fixing it.  Unfortunately, no information on how long it would take to fix, so we'll just have to keep checking back periodically.

The Korean version of XY was just more sweet. XY seems one dimensional  here and even though  I have been dying for their romance  it was because of sentimental  reasons  from BoF. The OTP there had really  good chemistry. However that romance there was non existent  so it is good here it ended up as a comfirmed romance. 

I wish I could mash up the favourite versions  of key scenes in the various  versioms to get my perfect MG.

Ep 46 and 47 are working fine for me. Also the  Uni speech was lame. There are so many faculties in the universities  these days  that no hall would fit that many students. Besides what the heck were the F4 good at besides  studies  and playing a non athletic card game? I am addicted to this  whole franchise but even I snorted  at the speech. Because  off hand I can't  remember any famous graduates  in any of the universities  I studied in during their time as a student. To remenber them especially since it is only at the undergraduate  level only.  But then the HYD franchise has never been based on reality so I laugh  at myself when I expect good writing or a realistic drama  from it.

Just wanted to comment that XY didn't  come off aa someone  who would  attract a so- called women  magnet  like Ximen. Nothing about XY stood out except her stalker personality.  But maybe a guy likes a female  who only  sees him as  a god.  Shudder.

20 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

The Korean version of XY was just more sweet. XY seems one dimensional  here and even though  I have been dying for their romance  it was because of sentimental  reasons  from BoF. The OTP there had really  good chemistry. However that romance there was non existent  so it is good here it ended up as a comfirmed romance. 

I wish I could mash up the favourite versions  of key scenes in the various  versioms to get my perfect MG.

Ep 46 and 47 are working fine for me. Also the  Uni speech was lame. There are so many faculties in the universities  these days  that no hall would fit that many students. Besides what the heck were the F4 good at besides  studies  and playing a non athletic card game? I am addicted to this  whole franchise but even I snorted  at the speech. Because  off hand I can't  remember any famous graduates  in any of the universities  I studied in during their time as a student. To remenber them especially since it is only at the undergraduate  level only.  But then the HYD franchise has never been based on reality so I laugh  at myself when I expect good writing or a realistic drama  from it.

Just wanted to comment that XY didn't  come off aa someone  who would  attract a so- called women  magnet  like Ximen. Nothing about XY stood out except her stalker personality.  But maybe a guy likes a female  who only  sees him as  a god.  Shudder.

@ck1Oz lol I thought the speech was lame too. I think they perhaps wanted to stress the strong friendship between F4 and how it has been the one thing that has helped all 4 of them to get through hardships so they treasure their friendship. I think they may have wanted to say that more than the lessons the students get in university, it’s the friendships and relationships they forge that matter most.  But the execution of this point was weak and so it didn’t leave the impression the show may have wanted to convey. 

11 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

Just a random thought here:

DS married SC so he that he wouldn’t have to wait 5 years until she’s ready to take it to the next level. Hahaha! He really is intelligent! 

I actually wondered if she’s still making him wait 5 years! :lol:

There was no hint of it, which was so disappointing. I mean, I didn’t want a big sex scene, more something like ALSB. But what we got was a buttoned up pyjama scene, a shampoo commercial and them holding hands in hoodies like teenagers!

58 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

Just a random thought here:

DS married SC so he that he wouldn’t have to wait 5 years until she’s ready to take it to the next level. Hahaha! He really is intelligent! 

Even if they didn't get married it wouldn't have been 5 years 

Today:

DS - can we go further?

SC - no

Tomorrow:

DS - how about now? can take it to the next level?

SC - no

Day after tomorrow:

DS - what about now? 

SC - fine, you're so annoying

I did say the developmental levels of the characters were at a high school level. Whoever heard of Uni graduates or  undergrads waiting for sex post marriage? Why bother upping the age of the characters when the writer or director still makes them behave like high schoolers?

Oh no. I just realized. And I am NOT being sarcastic. Is it because of the PPL? I suddenly remembered all the wine and whiskey PPLs. I live in Australia and know how much alcohol we export to the Chinese market. And how much premium wine and spirits are consumed there. And the PPLs were excessive in this drama. 

Just saying that alcoholic liver cirrhosis and liver failure looks so much worse when a person is young. In their 30s and 40s. 

3 hours ago, rocky689 said:

Even if they didn't get married it wouldn't have been 5 years 

Today:

DS - can we go further?

SC - no

Tomorrow:

DS - how about now? can take it to the next level?

SC - no

Day after tomorrow:

DS - what about now? 

SC - fine, you're so annoying

You write better than the scriptwriter hahahaha! Would love to see this on screen tbh, I'd probably go cray cray—laughing and giggling at the same time. 

Now that the show is over (almost on netflix)

here im gonna say it 

probabaly my last rent post befor my emotional good bye to the show 

so bear with me friends xD

>ximen and XY relationship is lowkey weird for me ... i dont know if its becuz it was rushed or didnt have enough depth as i would want it to be

but its just not enjoyable (as was the korean version of those two for exemple )

XY also is a bit too fixed on ximen somehow ? Like no girl ? If he acts like jerk  or you dont feel celebrated YOU TELL HIm

Her « as long as you are around im happy » crap bothered me somehow lol

> Ep46 and yall still bully ginghe like that ??? Making him hope he can joing f4 ?? And use him ? /yes im looking at you ximen xD/

i mean yeah he is pretty annoying ik some episodes ... but still ! That just took some maturity oit of ximens character ! Meh

>ging he and li zhen kiss next to XY and ximen was just weird and not needed ... idk 

>im also lowkey still bothered by how they left YZ feelings for si so ambiguous here ? So does she love him ? Does she not ? If him and sanshai didnt fight for their love till death(litteraly) would she just follow her parents choices ? ( that scene with her mom wearing the wedding dress messed with me ) i know she cares about her friendship with both of them alot 

but i just cant tell really ...

5 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

I actually wondered if she’s still making him wait 5 years! :lol:

There was no hint of it, which was so disappointing. I mean, I didn’t want a big sex scene, more something like ALSB. But what we got was a buttoned up pyjama scene, a shampoo commercial and them holding hands in hoodies like teenagers!

@cantbreathe agreed! Not asking for much here... they could just imply on it and it would have been satisfactory. 

Just finish Eps 47 and re-read the manga again

So they make XM and XY as a couple in here?! I feel sorry for XG then. After I read the manga again, the arc is so heart wrenching, I can't even choose should XM will go with XG or XY and they all gone to their own directions which I think is the best.

And what is it by making Qing He kissing Li Zhen??!!

The hunger strike scene is adapted from MG2001 and not from manga. I do feel like DS decision to go to NY in his will and come back after 4 years is more memorable then forcing a marriage following by hunger strike. I know that I'm not satisfied with the ending of the manga, but even Yoko Kamio make the story about what happen to them after the ending.

I really wish that they make it that way. How SC felling lonely even after 1 year has passed, how DS always feeling insecure every time he can't get in touch with SC and jealous over Lei because he can coming to SC house every day :D

and Finally they can make a happy ending or a wedding after DS success building Daoming Empire again and SC graduate.

They can make an ending in MG2001 because the manga it self is not finish yet, it ended in 2003. But in MG2018 they already knew the ending including the short story after manga ending. Why they can't make it that why. They even promise to keep the story like the manga.

13 hours ago, savingemily said:

OMGGGGG THEY RELEASED THE BTS OF THE KISS SCENE AT THE WEDDING IM DYING :heart:

WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK

Okay, I can watch this on loop lol. 

Play .. smiling .. grinning .. replay *looping

Made my day 

and it's Friday!

I have now watched up to NF Ep. 47, which ended with SC standing in the rain outside DS house.  First, I want to say that I agree with Everyone's comments regarding the Xiaoyou/Ximen relationship. It was rushed and underdeveloped to the point that I still didn't understand why Xiaoyou was so fixated on Ximen (other than he's good looking) and I definitely didn't understand what Ximen saw in Xiaoyou. The big rooftop scene they had it felt more like Ximen just accepted XY on the rebound cause Xiao Geng dumped him, and XY was there.  While it was a dream come true for me to see XY/XM become a real couple and share not 1 but 2 kiss scenes, I wasn't able to enjoy this couple as much as I wanted to. Speaking of Xiao Geng-her saying "let's end things" didn't make sense to me since they made such a big deal about how she was still madly in love with him. The editing for this series has been badly done and it shows here, where the passage of time isn't shown. It reads like everything happened in 24 hours. XG & XM meet again at the Tea Club meeting, go home together and agree to meet the next morning at the building, where she then tells XM it's over cause they've been reminiscing about the past? Of course you've been talking about old times, you just met up after 5 years! It was very strange that XG didn't even give the relationship a chance before ending things.  And the first date of Xiao You and Ximen was a little off for me. The scene felt awkward and  I didn't like how XY asked " Where's my gift?" Like, what? Bad writing there. Randomly including Quinghe and LiZhen didn't help things. 

According to what I've read in other forums, the fixated, overeager, borderline stalkerish behavior of Xiao You character comes straight from her portrayal in  the manga source material. I don't know how true that is-maybe others here that have read the manga can comment. For me, I think it would have been better if the writers had not stayed so close to source material for her character and written her a bit differently.  XY character in the Korea version still had the innocence and optimism of the character, but she also was strong and feisty and didn't take a lot of XM crap. She saw through him and wasn't afraid to call him out on his BS, and i think this was one of the biggest reasons XM was drawn to her in the Korea version. She also understood him in a way others didn't. I think this MG2018 tried to get that particular point across, but wasn't able to execute it properly.   I was really looking forward to the Ximen/Xiaoyou storyline here in MG2018, and now that their storyline has wrapped up, have to say I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I loved the fact that they became a real couple and we got 2 kiss scenes!  On the other hand, the lack of character development and relationship development between the 2 characters took away some of my satisfaction with their ending. I though Cesar Wu and Ja Qui did an OK job with their acting, but they are newbies and it shows. I think they worked pretty well together but i didn't think they had especially strong chemistry together. I may be in the minority here on that because I see a lot of fan shipping for those 2 actors. The poor writing of their characters and story didn't help things.  But overall, I'm happy with the fact that their storyline got a happy ending in this version. However, I think the Korea version will always be my favorite for this couple due to stronger and more fleshed out characterization and storyline, combined with good acting and strong chemistry between Kim Bum and Kim So Eun. 

Can't believe tomorrow will be the final episodes-from what others have posted here it should be a crazy ride!

Archived