[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

What this thread has shown me is that one man's poison is another man's treasure. I think each commenter in this read has varying opinions on several issues 

- the role of dramas (should dramas be wholesome or not)

- the role of the story's message

- what is considered acceptable and unacceptable acting;..

it's also been an eye-opener to see how much censorship people are willing to accept if the drama is made more wholesome... 

Meteor Garden 2018 was always gonna get criticism anyway. Show the violence as in the manga and anime and some factions will call for the violence to be reduced/that it's glorifying violence etc.. 

Show it as it is now and you'll find hardcore fans struggling to accept the changes. From my perspective, MG2018 doesn't quite have the soul of the original. It's not that we fans of the manga and anime can't accept the changes. We can.. but the soul .. the essence of Hana Yori Dango must be retained. Boys Over Flowers made several huge changes.. for example.. Xiao You/Ga Eul and Ximen/Yi Jung fall in love whereas in the other adaptations they don't.. 

Shancai has a brother in the other versions.. and here and in the Taiwanese version, they don't..

Mei Zuo/Akira's family background and preference for women changes from adaptation to adaptation.. 

The careers and ambitions of various main characters is pretty well fleshed out in the Korean adaptation too. Meteor Garden 2002 did a pretty good job fleshing out their careers too.. although it really deviated from the story.  Here in MG2018, I feel their ambitions and career leanings are just used as set dressing.. just a brief mention without any real follow-up.. 

I also think that it lessens the opportunities for character development and growth.

Part of the fun in watching Meteor Garden in almost every form is seeing the characters learn about how others live.. getting out of their bubble and experiencing things they've never done. Like Goo Jun Pyo eating ramen off the pot lid ... or Daoming Si sleeping in a mosquito-filled room for the first time because he wants to be close to Shancai..

Personally, watching Meteor Garden 2018 nowadays feels like homework and actual work to me. I know some people might give me that timeless... and ever-so-useful advice, "Don't watch if you don't like it." 

That's a really unhelpful principle.. 

As a fan, I'm definitely questioning my biases and re-evaluating my perspectives.. and also trying to overcome these biases.. but right now, like I said earlier

Watching Meteor Garden 2018 feels a lot like work. It's not very fun. 

Also kinda feel betrayed by Angie Chai because the trailers and promos gave no hints about the changes.. If it was a minor change or a change that many fans actually want (e.g. Xiao You and Ximen actually getting together).. it wouldn't feel so bad..or if it truly served the story..

Whatever BOF's faults, I think the changes they made served the story..

@jayells Due to the censorship (are you aware of the full list of SARFT's restrictions?), we'll never know if it's a reaction to the fuerdai.. or not.. There are awesome fuerdais in C-dramas (see Qu Xiaoxiao in Ode to Joy) who are making their own way in the world..Although with a little help from their parents.. But in MG2018, it feels like set dressing.. Like a few details tacked here and there to make F4 seem less entitled/more independent/self-made etc.

I think there's a difference between making changes to appeal to the audience' tastes and making changes to appeal to the government's tastes.

Right now.. due to nature of the scenes and plot devices that were removed.. it definitely feels a lot more like Angie Chai and the producers are kowtowing to the government.. 

Anyway, good discussion, all. Very eye-opening. Glad we can agree to disagree or agree. Over and out. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, zoeraindasher said:

Weirdly.. in a way.. this whole scholarship aspect of the show indirectly illustrates how unequal opportunities are..  

If the F4 are the cream of the crop, they very much deserve their merit-based scholarships. Excluding them from the selection due to their economic status itself illustrates unequal opportunities. 

I like the fact that DMS stressed that his mom became successful on her own merit. 

I think there's no point in rehashing the same story if you can't offer anything different, so I welcome the changes in this adaptation and hope that the script will justify them. But then again, I don't recommend the drama. 

2 hours ago, zoeraindasher said:

I'm referring to the part about Shan Cai and Li Zhen walking around campus with the cake in their hands.

IMO it's a bad PPL script :D

I am not sure if I will pop by regularly. I have watched all the versions and basically popped by to see the latest.

I don't have expectations for this drama. I will watch it no matter what just because I want to see what this adaptation is like.

I wasn't a massive fan of all the versions either because of the writing, actor or the styling. But still finished it. 

All I can say is that this cast is pretty. I also can't see Lei's introverted character. I don't know whether the actor can act you see. I am torn between comparing him to another bad actor in another version. Or whether he has depression. Currently he has so little presence I wrote him off as a potentially memorable character.

The reason why I posted... aren't all merit based scholarships merit based? There are income based scolarships around obviously but I feel that even rich or financially able students shouldn't be discriminated against getting them. It looks good on the cv. You can't just graduate with being a top student without added value to your credentials. I am old now and those days have passed but plenty of people on my circle applied and were awarded scholarships and I recognise the value of putting it on the cv for future use. Lol. Saying this now even in the context for applying for university exchange or job placements for the younger generation.

All Hana Yori Dango adaptations had their idiotic moments but the consistent thing was that the drama has to be addictive. I am still on the fence for this version. Off to google the cast again to see their acting credentials. I have been waiting for this drama for so long so hoping it is good.

The jarring note so far has been their dressing. Is that how ? young Chinese students dress? Or is it movie dressing? I am used to the preppy look you see. And the card/ Bridge playing excuse for the use of a card to single a person out.

4 hours ago, zoeraindasher said:

@jayells Due to the censorship (are you aware of the full list of SARFT's restrictions?), we'll never know if it's a reaction to the fuerdai.. or not.. There are awesome fuerdais in C-dramas (see Qu Xiaoxiao in Ode to Joy) who are making their own way in the world..Although with a little help from their parents.. But in MG2018, it feels like set dressing.. Like a few details tacked here and there to make F4 seem less entitled/more independent/self-made etc.

I think there's a difference between making changes to appeal to the audience' tastes and making changes to appeal to the government's tastes.

Right now.. due to nature of the scenes and plot devices that were removed.. it definitely feels a lot more like Angie Chai and the producers are kowtowing to the government.. 

Anyway, good discussion, all. Very eye-opening. Glad we can agree to disagree or agree. Over and out. 

I think the government and SARFT are well aware of the negative reputation the fuerdai have since there's another drama coming out that also addresses this issue and are trying to show a more positive image for the fuerdai. It's called Stray Birds. Xiaoxiao is a great example of a fuerdai who eventually became self-reliant. But imagine if we only judged Xiaoxiao based on her early appearance in the drama. That's why I think we should wait before calling those changes set dressing. If by the end of the drama, the F4 aren't shown using their talents and abilities in any shape or form then it would be a fair criticism but we're only at the beginning of the drama right now.

When Angie Chai and producers decided to make this drama in China, i'm sure there was a tacit understanding that they would have to follow the rules and regulations set out by the SARFT. Angie Chai and producers are probably confident that they can deliver the story and keep its essence in spite of having to making these changes. Whether or not they can, still remains to be seen. 

Yep, good discussion and have a good day! 

10 hours ago, jeijei said:

If the F4 are the cream of the crop, they very much deserve their merit-based scholarships. Excluding them from the selection due to their economic status itself illustrates unequal opportunities. 

then you and I understand the term 'unequal opportunities' differently..

Under many college and university rules, a student with extensive assets, resources, and income is just as entitled to a student with limited assets, resources, and income. This looks like equality on the surface. But dig deeper and you'll realise it isn't.

In an ideal world, resources would be efficiently and evenly distributed and everyone would truly have the same access to resources no matter whether they're living in urban or rural areas .. if the government does it well..they can close the gap between high-income and low-income families..

If you're saying merit-based scholarships should not consider financial status at all.. and only consider the grades, talents, athletic ability, and extra-curriculars of the applicant.. 

then consider this: 

Student A comes from a family with an annual household income of at least USD 300,000.. From birth.. this student has been given the best education, entered into the best kindergartens, has access to private tutors.. and has all the time he/she need to focus on his/her passions and interests which in turn leads to a more all-rounded and refined application. 

Student B comes from a single-parent family with an annual household income of about USD 23,000. This student also has a sibling or two to take care of.. and is also working 2 part-time jobs to help support the family.

They both score highly but Student B's application is not as well-rounded in terms of extracurriculars or whatever.. 

How many hours do these two have to focus on their studies and passions and interests? Whereas Student A might have the luxury of time to go build homes for Orang Asli in Malaysia, student B might only be volunteering at the local shelter home.. perhaps.. You see? 

Merit-based scholarships which do not consider the financial needs of the student at all.. will only widen the gap between high-income and low-income families.

It's a truly unequal race from the start. 

See this for example: 

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/what-is-buzzing/tuition-for-toddlers-–-necessary-or-over-the-top-053116125.html

Enrichment and tuition centres at the age of 2? 

Merit-based scholarships which do not take into consideration financial status choose to ignore that there are certain factors that give others a headstart in life.. 

I believe they're depriving resources from students who are just as deserving.. 

Is it really just 'merit' though? Or are colleges following the money?

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/20/opinions/college-merit-aid-steals-from-low-income-students-levy/index.html

Again, not sure how the merit-based scholarships in MG 2018 work exactly but if they're following this system (http://www.thecollegesolution.com/should-rich-students-get-merit-scholarships/) then Ming De University must not be the most selective elite university.

@ck1Oz there are other awards that aren't monetary-based.. that can be given to them to recognise their efforts and achievements.. that would boost their CVs..  

For more nuanced opinions on both sides of the debate, see: http://theweek.com/articles/475132/should-rich-kids-ineligible-college-scholarships

I think we can agree to disagree. I am of the opinion that merit-based scholarships should take into consideration financial need. It only widens the inequality gap otherwise. It's alright if you all don't see this perspective.. Let's just accept that we can't see eye to eye on this. 

Sidetrack: Not related to scholarships but this gaokao scorer is so awesome in acknowledging the gap: https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d41444f3151444e/share_p.html

7 hours ago, jayells said:

I think the government and SARFT are well aware of the negative reputation the fuerdai have since there's another drama coming out that also addresses this issue and are trying to show a more positive image for the fuerdai. It's called Stray Birds. Xiaoxiao is a great example of a fuerdai who eventually became self-reliant. But imagine if we only judged Xiaoxiao based on her early appearance in the drama. That's why I think we should wait before calling those changes set dressing. If by the end of the drama, the F4 aren't shown using their talents and abilities in any shape or form then it would be a fair criticism but we're only at the beginning of the drama right now.

Yep, good discussion and have a good day! 

Will watch Stray Birds.. Thanks for the rec!

For me, Xiaoxiao's ambitions, talents, and skills weren't just set dressing and I didn't need to watch the whole drama to see that.. Even the first 3-5 episodes were enough..

In MG2018, it feels like set dressing..  even up to ep 8.. it is.. except for that bridge game which feels ... forced or like a filler scene just to introduce the time and venue for the date. 

Right now.. watching MG2018 is super stressful and I've decided to drop it for the time being.

I checked my Netflix today and the airing schedule has changed. Instead of 6 episodes every Friday, they now show the following schedule:
2 episodes every Wednesday-Saturday for a total of 8 episodes a week.  This new schedule is starting tomorrow, July 18, 2018.

3 hours ago, Table122000 said:

I checked my Netflix today and the airing schedule has changed. Instead of 6 episodes every Friday, they now show the following schedule:
2 episodes every Wednesday-Saturday for a total of 8 episodes a week.  This new schedule is starting tomorrow, July 18, 2018.

omg why they do that!!!!?? lol.

I wanna binge watch all the new episodes on Friday!! Thanks though

I just caught up and i like it , its not the boring romance im used to and i dont mind the cringe just laugh at it and accept it.

3/4 were a bit weird with that bed scene etc.. I thought in the old series that girl and guy.. sorry dont know everyone's names yet leave for paris at the end?

I need the music though i love some of the songs. 

I don't know about you guys, but I always had hated Lei for treating Shan Cai as a rebound girl after he breaks up for good with Jing. Meh. Anyway I think the actor has improved a bit in today's eps in terms of acting. I kinda liked how they didn't make Li Zhen to be very evil scheming richard simmons. It was just a spur of moment decision of her to betray Shan Cai. Nice one and was really refreshing. But I can't understand why all the other students treated her like she is  an untouchable after that rumour. Lol. I mean, c'mon even if she had slept with another man, it is none of their business. Smh.

Shan Cai says she doesn't love Dao Ming Si, but then out of everyone in this world, she only wants him to trust her. Tsk tsk. As Ah si says often, she really is stupid. LOL. 

On 7/17/2018 at 10:39 AM, Table122000 said:

amazing!! i am thankful they are giving us more episodes and it helps me not binge all 7/8 episodes at once haha 

43 minutes ago, kokodus said:

I don't know about you guys, but I always had hated Lei for treating Shan Cai as a rebound girl after he breaks up for good with Jing. Meh. Anyway I think the actor has improved a bit in today's eps in terms of acting. I kinda liked how they didn't make Li Zhen to be very evil scheming richard simmons. It was just a spur of moment decision of her to betray Shan Cai. Nice one and was really refreshing. But I can't understand why all the other students treated her like she is  an untouchable after that rumour. Lol. I mean, c'mon even if she had slept with another man, it is none of their business. Smh.

Shan Cai says she doesn't love Dad Ming Si, but then out of everyone in this world, she only wants him to trust her. Tsk tsk. As Ah si says often, she really is stupid. LOL. 

Wasnt he into her before he breaks up with Jing for good and i think Zhen will turn into that. 

35 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Wasnt he into her before he breaks up with Jing for good and i think Zhen will turn into that. 

That is even more terrible for him to develop feelings for Shan Cai when he was still with Jing. He has no right to be mad at Jing for leaving him. His heart has changed. Meh. Even if it's a moment of weakness, I find it highly disgusting for him to kiss her. You just broke up with your lifelong girlfriend...sigh. At least the fact that she is the girl his friend is actively pursuing should've stopped him from doing it.  

I've just finished episode 12 and shoot I am starting to become addicted to this show.  Dao Ming Si and Shan Cai are so cute when they're being sweet together.  Definitely no chance of SLS ever happening here.  Dylan Wang is just too adorable.

I've watched all versions and i'm enjoying this one very much, however i always feel like Dao Ming Si (his character in other versions as well) loves Shan Cai (her character in other versions as well) more than she loves him, i got very annoyed in episode 8 when they kissed and he saw them. His reaction was totally how most guys would react if it happened to them. Like could you imagine seeing the girl you love and you thought you were dating her (Technically they weren't together but still...) and then you see her and your best friend kiss? If that happened to me i would want them completely out of my life since they wouldn't deserve my love. 

So I've watched the Korean BOF and that's about it - so although I was really meh on BOF, I loved the side couple [Gaeun and Yijung]. I'm guessing the Gaeun and Yijung of Meteor Garden are Ms. Milk Tea and Xi Men? If so, I will definitely continue watching since Xi Men had me swooning in his nice looking suit during Jing's party [like holy moly, can he take his glasses off more? His outfit and styling was on point that day]

Overall, so far I"m just cruising along. I've never really been into this kind of plotline, but I do love the characters, so I guess being sucked into one of these stories every now and then isn't so bad.

I’ve seen a few versions of this and to be honest they are all quite bad but some more than others. I mean the plot is over the top regardless of the version, so let’s get that out of the way. There have a few complaints on this thread regarding the leads having no more than a few expressions but the current cast are mainly rookies and they are doing their best.

The original MG cast barely had any expressions as well, and the BZ definitely overacts with her constant screaming. Jerry as DMS was very excessive and it was not believable at all how SC could be with him after all the bullying and assault (in one scene he slapped the s!?&&@ out of her). I’m thankful that the bullying wasn’t so excessive and DMS hasn’t smack her so far lol

Archived