[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

hi again y'all! @feliset same manga fan here!! I'm SO SO happy a lot of the story line from the manga is now adapted! 

Ok so this week has been a roller coaster. 

LOVED:

- Shen Yue's acting. She was SO good in the necklace scene; I really felt for her :( I feel like she doesn't get enough love for her performance!

- Dylan/DMS. PUPPPPYYYY T_T 

DID NOT LOVE:

- They changed Xiao Zi's character....I liked it much better in the manga when she only had one weak moment and hugged Si, but then corrected her course right away and backed off. In this version she was expecting Si to use her as a rebound (and pretended to be relieved when he didn't), but in the manga she was actually *worried* he would use her again because she knew she wouldn't be able to take the hurt when he would eventually come back to SC. That to me is much more aligned with Xiao Zi's character. 

- They changed Lei's character too!! I know people were excited about the love triangle but it doesn't make sense to me how Lei is pushing things this far (esp. in the preview where he asked SC to turn her phone off for 48 hours. Like, what now?) His character is that he would always protect SC but without hurting DMS. I'm excited for this arc to be over and curious how they would resolve Lei-DMS's relationship now that it has somewhat crossed a line.

In other news, lots of cute previews for next week, SO EXCITED!!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 hours ago, kokodus said:

Exactly what I was going to say. C dramas are usually like this. They give more importance to side characters, which may or may not be a good thing. I have watched dramas only for the side couples before. And I don't hesitate to skip scenes. It took me not more than half an hour to finish both 28 and 29 yesterday. Lol. I don't think it's draggy at all. Because so much has happened between Si and SC and each and every incident has only made their bond stronger than ever. She started out hating him to the guts, then slowly started seeing his good side, they became friends, Si had a hard time conveying his feelings, misunderstandings happened and then he finally confessed, SC couldn't believe a guy like Si would like her, she started leaning towards him without knowing and took a brave step to give this relationship a go despite knowing how different their social statuses are....and now they are faced with an obstacle in the name of mom, and we all know that they overcome this as well. I don't usually like slow burn romances but it somehow works out here because of their differing personalities. It is not easy for two head strong people to be together. Lol. 

@kokodus yes! C dramas are always long like this. I also just skip the parts I am not interested in watching. But the one thing I like about C dramas is the way they depict mundane life. It feels more realistic that way and I enjoy seeing the main characters go about everyday life and slowly get to know each other and go through things together. It makes their relationship more believable and concrete IMO. I watched It Started With a Kiss and They Kiss Again and the C versions were much much longer than the Japanese and Korean versions but also so much more satisfying for me. I loved watching Zhi Shu and Jiang Xian Qin especially in season 2 because they did a good job of showing us what married life was like for them and how their relationship even deepened. It also allowed me to see Zhi Shu's character evolve and show how much he really treasured and loved Xian Qin. I actually preferred season 2 over season 1. In all honesty, I wouldn't mind more episodes of MG if we could get that. LOL but then again it wouldn't stay so true to the manga.

19 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

hi again y'all! @feliset same manga fan here!! I'm SO SO happy a lot of the story line from the manga is now adapted! 

Ok so this week has been a roller coaster. 

LOVED:

- Shen Yue's acting. She was SO good in the necklace scene; I really felt for her :( I feel like she doesn't get enough love for her performance!

- Dylan/DMS. PUPPPPYYYY T_T 

DID NOT LOVE:

- They changed Xiao Zi's character....I liked it much better in the manga when she only had one weak moment and hugged Si, but then corrected her course right away and backed off. In this version she was expecting Si to use her as a rebound (and pretended to be relieved when he didn't), but in the manga she was actually *worried* he would use her again because she knew she wouldn't be able to take the hurt when he would eventually come back to SC. That to me is much more aligned with Xiao Zi's character. 

- They changed Lei's character too!! I know people were excited about the love triangle but it doesn't make sense to me how Lei is pushing things this far (esp. in the preview where he asked SC to turn her phone off for 48 hours. Like, what now?) His character is that he would always protect SC but without hurting DMS. I'm excited for this arc to be over and curious how they would resolve Lei-DMS's relationship now that it has somewhat crossed a line.

In other news, lots of cute previews for next week, SO EXCITED!!!

@insertusernamehere I'm looking forward to seeing how they resolve this conflict as well. A part of me wonders if Lei is taking things this far to make SC and Si realize how much they truly like each other...

I missed it this week..

onto ep 28 - lol.. dude! just make this a BL already (pink train.. and with subs that bedscene became more hilarious)

Seriously, am i the only one fangirling darren/lei/both

and i can totally sense it that this version is just not going to give us Lei's side of the love story :(

so many PPLs resulting in so many useless scenes

by the way.. did they just take away ximen's arc of being in love with an older woman who liked his brother and gave it to Cansai girl (the other F4 love story.. who likes older man).. looks like no backstory and heartbreak for ximuen

And for each one of them telling each other, they are top students .. i want to know the ranking :)  who is 1 

also, really which subject does MBA and potential julliard guy have in common?

I'M SO MAD AND SAD RIGHT NOW THAT I'M GOING TO KILL SOMEONE NOW. Seriously my head is aching so much after seeing my puppies in pain. BUT WHERE THE HELL IS EP 31, NETFLIX????? I was not even hoping that they would upload 32 today, but they didn't even upload 31, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I HAVE WORDS AND THEY ARE NOT NICE!!!!! @lan_lan please check and tell me how much behind Netflix is compared to the raws before I go insane and flip some tables here

3 minutes ago, kokodus said:

I'M SO MAD AND SAD RIGHT NOW THAT I'M GOING TO KILL SOMEONE NOW. Seriously my head is aching so much after seeing my puppies in pain. BUT WHERE THE HELL IS EP 31, NETFLIX????? I was not even hoping that they would upload 32 today, but they didn't even upload 31, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I HAVE WORDS AND THEY ARE NOT NICE!!!!! @lan_lan please check and tell me how much behind Netflix is compared to the raws before I go insane and flip some tables here

IM NOT READY FOR THAT DRUNK/CRYING SCENE yaaaaalll 

Is it ep 30 or 31 ?

4 minutes ago, rimjayc said:

IM NOT READY FOR THAT DRUNK/CRYING SCENE yaaaaalll 

Is it ep 30 or 31 ?

ep 30! Omg!! 

Spoiler

My heart broke for Si. My poor puppy is so sadand heart broken, when he broke down....Dylan is really great acting here. The breaking up scene with SC has me bawling too. So sad for them. And when he threw the necklace into the lake :(.... makes me cry. I feel so sad for them, SC looking for the necklace crying :(. Throughout their relationship, Si is more vocal and expressed more on their relationship. He is so mature now.

Why NF!!! Are they going to air ep 31?? My heart!!!!!!!!

@rimjayc The crying scene is in ep 30 and I'm still in the middle of picking up the pieces of my broken heart. Let me tell you I was not ready for it as well, from the spoilers I saw, I thought we are going to see the light at the end of the tunnel in these last two eps of this week. But I don't see any light yet, it's still pitch dark and I can't see anything, I'm lost. Someone save me. This show is going to be the death of me, I swear.

First off. FU NF. I can’t believe this is the second week they’ve only released 5 episodes instead of 6 I  guess it’s good because it kinda lets us enjoy the show for a little bit longer but ugh. This is my first time posting so it’s going to be long lol. 

Lei, so idk what’s going on. Is he trying to help them? Or does he really love her? He straight told Si “I love SC” so that really threw me off. I always thought he was a big brother figure but sometimes the way he looks at her is more than big brother. I’d like for it to just be in the open on what’s going on. We know who SC picks based on the bus scene but what leads up to that? THIS TYPE A NEEDS TO KNOW!!! Maybe he genuinely does love her and realized he made a mistake way in the beginning by picking Jing over SC? But in upcoming episode clips you hear Lei talk about still liking Jing and wishing he didn’t leave?

where is the bus heading in the famous bus scene? Is it to the airport to go back to Jing and Lei was taking SC with him to maybe start over or to forget Si?

Si and the crying scene. Why god why. This drawn out process needs to be done and they just need to be together. The actors are honestly great at portraying a real life scenario if this were to happen. You feel for them and want to yell at people for them lol

ive never watched or read anything other than MG 2018 no BOF or past makes of the show so I’m just clearly speculating right now. 

All i I know is this show is pulling at my heart strings. It’s easily my first subtitle drama I’ve watched and literally my favorite show ever. 

We know the outcome after after the bus scene and I can’t even be happy knowing there’s an amnesia scene coming and it’s like they are all back to square one again. I did always wonder how in the world Si’ s mom would ever accept SC and I guess maybe the amnesia scene will be it?

monkey girl. I know she’s back and I watch only on NF ask I’ve just seen up to ep30. She’s somewhere to cause trouble. Ep32? Idc where it is as long as it’s before the bus scene. SC and Si need to be together. I know they are young and have a lot of outside favtors playing in their relationship status but darn, college was never that difficult for me or anyone I knew

ok thats it for now but im sure I’ll be back with more sadness until Wednesday at 10am EST when we get the next episodes here in the USA. 

ep 30:

ah! the buildup to Lei challenging DS is completely lost in this version..

SC is really supposed to go through a lot of suffering to bring Lei to the point where he challenges DS.. but here we hardly saw SC's suffering.. 2 weeks ago they were bf-gf.. she decided on her own to leave without even discussing it with DS.. told him he is not worthy of him when poor him has been fearing that from the beginning (and still is so wary of lei because SC"s initial acceptance to DS means that lei or that type of man is what she considers worthy)

:(

oh.. just realized we have a scene in ending credits for the memory loss track..

23 minutes ago, Tabatha Bernier said:

First off. FU NF. I can’t believe this is the second week they’ve only released 5 episodes instead of 6 I  guess it’s good because it kinda lets us enjoy the show for a little bit longer but ugh. This is my first time posting so it’s going to be long lol. 

Lei, so idk what’s going on. Is he trying to help them? Or does he really love her? He straight told Si “I love SC” so that really threw me off. I always thought he was a big brother figure but sometimes the way he looks at her is more than big brother. I’d like for it to just be in the open on what’s going on. We know who SC picks based on the bus scene but what leads up to that? THIS TYPE A NEEDS TO KNOW!!! Maybe he genuinely does love her and realized he made a mistake way in the beginning by picking Jing over SC? But in upcoming episode clips you hear Lei talk about still liking Jing and wishing he didn’t leave?

where is the bus heading in the famous bus scene? Is it to the airport to go back to Jing and Lei was taking SC with him to maybe start over or to forget Si?

Si and the crying scene. Why god why. This drawn out process needs to be done and they just need to be together. The actors are honestly great at portraying a real life scenario if this were to happen. You feel for them and want to yell at people for them lol

ive never watched or read anything other than MG 2018 no BOF or past makes of the show so I’m just clearly speculating right now. 

All i I know is this show is pulling at my heart strings. It’s easily my first subtitle drama I’ve watched and literally my favorite show ever. 

We know the outcome after after the bus scene and I can’t even be happy knowing there’s an amnesia scene coming and it’s like they are all back to square one again. I did always wonder how in the world Si’ s mom would ever accept SC and I guess maybe the amnesia scene will be it?

monkey girl. I know she’s back and I watch only on NF ask I’ve just seen up to ep30. She’s somewhere to cause trouble. Ep32? Idc where it is as long as it’s before the bus scene. SC and Si need to be together. I know they are young and have a lot of outside favtors playing in their relationship status but darn, college was never that difficult for me or anyone I knew

ok thats it for now but im sure I’ll be back with more sadness until Wednesday at 10am EST when we get the next episodes here in the USA. 

ep 32 raw is released.. subs available only till ep 30.. typically subs for last pair of episodes come out by Friday .. and by my clock in 3-4 hours from now

Ok, so I saw this:

https://twitter.com/wanghediarchive/status/1027419754359705600

And now here's what I think - Lei does love SC and he also love his friend Si. I have a theory that in this scenario, Lei is letting Si know that it's not okay to treat SC that way because he is truly hurting her. At the same time, Lei is giving SC the opportunity to truly take a look at herself and figure out how she really feels towards DS and make a decision once and for all - either go big or go home. BUT, at the same time, Lei is letting DS know that if he decides to really give up on SC, Lei will take the opportunity to go for SC so if DS really loves her, then he has to fight for her. Lei is also telling SC that he loves her and if she decides to end it with DS, that Lei would take the opportunity to be with her. But that if she really loves DS and wants to pursue their relationship, that she will need to persevere because the road ahead for the two of them wont't be easy and she will need to stick to her decision and fight for DS. 

So in short Lei is saying to both DS and SC:

"You either both decide once and for all to be together against all odds or give up and I'll go in the middle."

LOL

23 minutes ago, Tabatha Bernier said:

I'm confused as well on what is going on in Lei's head. I was like WTF?? When he told Si that he is going to pursue SC, and this is coming from someone who has already watched two versions of this same story. LOL. I mean they really didn't show us any signs of Lei developing any feelings for SC and clearly he is not the type of person who would risk his friendship with a lifelong friend to protect a girl. I don't know he did tell Si's Mom that he would protect her as a friend and I would like to believe thats what he is doing now. Maybe he is just doing this to provoke Si so that he would go after SC. It's hard to read Lei's expression on that particular scene when he challenged Si. Ohhh my God my head is aching again, thinking about it all. I can't believe Netflix just left us with Si crying his heart out in the 30th ep.....my poor heart can't take all this. And SC crying and searching for the necklace was even more painful, I've always said that I'm disappointed with SC for not reciprocating his feelings properly, and we finally saw this scene where I felt she truly and dearly loves Si and no one else. She has gotten to the point of no return, only broken hearts are awaiting us. I can't even.....

2 minutes ago, kokodus said:

I'm confused as well on what is going on in Lei's head. I was like WTF?? When he told Si that he is going to pursue SC, and this is coming from someone who has already watched two versions of this same story. LOL. I mean they really didn't show us any signs of Lei developing any feelings for SC and clearly he is not the type of person who would risk his friendship with a lifelong friend to protect a girl. I don't know he did tell Si's Mom that he would protect her as a friend and I would like to believe thats what he is doing now. Maybe he is just doing this to provoke Si so that he would go after SC. It's hard to read Lei's expression on that particular scene when he challenged Si. Ohhh my God my head is aching again, thinking about it all. I can't believe Netflix just left us with Si crying his heart out in the 30th ep.....my poor heart can't take all this. And SC crying and searching for the necklace was even more painful, I've always said that I'm disappointed with SC for not reciprocating his feelings properly, and we finally saw this scene where I felt she truly and dearly loves Si and no one else. She has gotten to the point of no return, only broken hearts are awaiting us. I can't even.....

All of you are evil :P :P .. you didn't see my boy cry when hugging SC midst of that grey water :( 

and yes don't worry.. he is very mature.. he will get those elementary school kids together :P :P :P 

14 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

ep 32 raw is released.. subs available only till ep 30.. typically subs for last pair of episodes come out by Friday .. and by my clock in 3-4 hours from now

Well well, the subs won't come out for 31 and 32 unless Netflix uploads them. They have the exclusive rights for this show and hence the subs you see on other sites are actually those ripped from Netflix. Sighhh. 

@enigmatic_zephy I did notice your baby crying in that scene, but I still don't understand how he suddenly fell in love with her. Last time I checked, he said he doesn't love Shan Cai in that way. If he really did fell in love with her, then I think the show is at fault for not showing it to us properly, because it was so out of the blue for me when he said he is going to go after SC now. Ermmm thats why I would like to believe that he is only doing this to bring the kids together, as you said. LOL. 

@mouse007 Your theory sounds plausible, but that will make Lei less in my eyes, because you know I would never understand why anyone would fall in love with their best friend's girlfriend. I know love is blind and all that, but it doesn't sit well with me. It's like he is waiting for an opportunity to pounce on. Once they broke up he swooped in to make her his own. Not nice. Very cheap.

25 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

Ok, so I saw this:

https://twitter.com/wanghediarchive/status/1027419754359705600

And now here's what I think - Lei does love SC and he also love his friend Si. I have a theory that in this scenario, Lei is letting Si know that it's not okay to treat SC that way because he is truly hurting her. At the same time, Lei is giving SC the opportunity to truly take a look at herself and figure out how she really feels towards DS and make a decision once and for all - either go big or go home. BUT, at the same time, Lei is letting DS know that if he decides to really give up on SC, Lei will take the opportunity to go for SC so if DS really loves her, then he has to fight for her. Lei is also telling SC that he loves her and if she decides to end it with DS, that Lei would take the opportunity to be with her. But that if she really loves DS and wants to pursue their relationship, that she will need to persevere because the road ahead for the two of them wont't be easy and she will need to stick to her decision and fight for DS. 

So in short Lei is saying to both DS and SC:

"You either both decide once and for all to be together against all odds or give up and I'll go in the middle."

LOL

In all the versions there is this one thing...

While Lei is committed to SC-DS happiness, but like i said he too fell for SC right from the beginning.. its just we could see DS's progression but Lei has always been difficult to read.. and also he was confused because of Jiang..

However, there are some important moments in his life. . which any man would want to do something for his woman kind of moments.. and Lei despite all the pain, does these little things in those moments where he is allowing himself to show his "love"

His music is most important.. and in the starting episode Lei tells a girl that only extremely special people are allowed to hear him or see him play .. in this version, SC gets to see him play when she is super depressed (the whole fiance track and going to hotel).. and this time , instead of letting her hear, Lei actively goes out to search for her, play for her and only for her.. the song he has been practicing for months for his graduation day performance.. and non one else is allowed to hear that ( or basically be audience to it)

45 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Well well, the subs won't come out for 31 and 32 unless Netflix uploads them. They have the exclusive rights for this show and hence the subs you see on other sites are actually those ripped from Netflix. Sighhh. 

Oh that i know.. but i thought netflix schedule is such that they release it on Friday for the last two episodes by US EOD

@enigmatic_zephy I did notice your baby crying in that scene, but I still don't understand how he suddenly fell in love with her. Last time I checked, he said he doesn't love Shan Cai in that way. If he really did fell in love with her, then I think the show is at fault for not showing it to us properly, because it was so out of the blue for me when he said he is going to go after SC now. Ermmm thats why I would like to believe that he is only doing this to bring the kids together, as you said. LOL. 

He didn't suddenly fell in love... and if you pay attention to his expressions and dialogue and strategic camera positioning, drama gives us clear hint that he fell in love with her quite long back 

See:

1. Him coming back from france - everyone assumed that Jiang dumped him but his behavior and dialogues tell you that he didn't care once he went to france.. and in ep 31-32 he tells SC how he regretted losing that moment because that moment turned into tragedy for him and he lost someone super precious ( aka that was the moment when he lost SC because up until that time everyone knew that SC liked Lei)

2. Him standing up for SC in cafeteria and tug of war with DS

3. The whole outing and him kissing her

4. He really cares about F4 ( one thing Drama clealry sets for us is that Lei is passionate but introvert style, DS is extrovert. and Lei doesn't move on from relationships .. be it F4, jiang.. and lastly he is very very good at hiding emotions and nobody knows the depth unless he chooses to show... In all of this, we see him constantly putting SC above F4 from the beginning

(When they mention the strengths of F4 in game of bridge, they tell you there too how good Lei is at reading and controlling emotions)

I can go on forever.. but in summary, the boy was always in love with her and got infatuated pretty early on when he started sharing the terrace with her

BTW you remember, weeks ago i mentioned these scenes for each character and when they realize or definitely move from one emotion to another:

SC genuinely liking DS - when he lets goons beat him up

and similary i mentioned this water scene is important for both Lei and SC, because this is the scene when Lei realizes that he has really lost SC.. and SC realizes the extent of her feelings for DS

@mouse007 Your theory sounds plausible, but that will make Lei less in my eyes, because you know I would never understand why anyone would fall in love with their best friend's girlfriend. I know love is blind and all that, but it doesn't sit well with me. It's like he is waiting for an opportunity to pounce on. Once they broke up he swooped in to make her his own. Not nice. Very cheap.

Again, if that's the logic you follow.. then DS should be the one who went after the girl who liked his best friend.. and everyone could see including jiang how protective Lei was of SC

20 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

All of you are evil :P :P .. you didn't see my boy cry when hugging SC midst of that grey water :( 

and yes don't worry.. he is very mature.. he will get those elementary school kids together :P :P :P 

@enigmatic_zephy so your team SC and Lei? Lol. I am just so confused. He hasn’t his chance so many times. Even the scene when they were both in the bedroom together at Si’s house and he sai

21 minutes ago, kokodus said:

@kokodus I’m thinking the same thing  it doesn’t really seem like that is Lei’s style. But maybe when your confronted with a situation you’ve either regretted for not going for (leaving her for Jing) or new feelings that developed while she was with Si it would make you go out of character and sort of primal in a way to get what you want now that you finally have a chance that you never thought you’d get again? I do feel SC and Lei have had more physical contact than SC and Si lol. But like I said in my previous post I feel it’s somehow a way to get Si to fight for her again because Lei seems like he’s the closest to Si with all the sleepovers and chats and Lei seems like he can get threw to him the most (soy milk)  So I hope he’s just playing the cards right and hoping the stars (or meteors hahaha) align and they find love again. Not for nothing though but if I was Si I would have a hard time trusting Lei and his intentions anymore though. It seems every opportunity To capitalize on SC being sad and vulnerable he is there for her. Even with the most sincere intentions I would make SC mine forever to elimate all this Lei business lol. I was team SC and Lei in the beginning with the horrible things Si did to SC when the season started. I have never watched or read anything related to MG2018 so I came in with a clean slate and no prior stories to go on. Now though all I want is all the spoilers lmao  

Not for 

Archived