[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

6 hours ago, transki said:

Worse part about season II was he was with the other girl for the majority of the series! Argh! Upsetting to watch.

I wouldnt watch that if they did a s2 like that.

5 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Im pretty sure i have seen 6 in the trailer so i think we will get all of this. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so glad this thread is here for me to spazz :D thank you everyone for the great discussion!

FYI:

for those who haven't read the manga, the sequence of events here is very very close to what happens in the manga - that means the engagement with Shigeru (Monkey girl) happens before Tsukasa (DMS) & Tsukushi (SC) got together. Actually, it was one of the major event that 

Spoiler

pushed Tsukushi to FINALLY acknowledge her feelings for Tsukasa.

- for those who are not watching from Netflix: the reason why some of us are concerned about a break between "season 1" and "season 2" is because on Netflix now it shows that we're at "season 1", implying that there's a "season 2", but what that means is probably just them breaking the 48 eps into 2 seasons or so. The concern here is whether they will take a break between airing 2 seasons or not - they've done that before with Terrace House, which airs continuously in Japan, but takes more than a month break between each "season" on Netflix (so they can batch-release 8 eps at once). Since there was a preview for ep 21 (from the airing in China), here's to hoping that we will see more 6-8 new eps a week!

Anyway, onto my rant/thoughts:

- What I love most about this version is that it's the only version made after the manga is complete, so they don't need to make up story to fill the show. And Angie Cai did fulfill promise of following the manga closely (except for some changes that had to be made to comply with censorship rules). So far, most of the epic scenes from the manga are in here

- I love Shen Yue! She's so cute and endearing! Definitely my favorite Shan Cai (along with Inoue Mao).

- I have to disagree with a lot of people here and say that while I love watching Dylan thanks to his charisma and good looks, it's very clear that he's very green in acting. It doesn't bother me - it's just endearing and funny at times. I also blame the editing for making everybody's acting a bit awkward. 

- I'm not too familiar with China's censorship rules (I don't watch c-dramas), but oh my aren't they obvious in this show LOL What's with "auctioning off expensive birthday gifts for charity"? But that's just minor. The biggest offense was changing DMS's bullying tendency, which makes for a very weird character backstory.

Spoiler

So in the recent eps, SC got kidnapped by some gang boss as a revenge to DMS since DMS broke the boss's leg in the past, apparently they had a fight at a bar and DMS beat up everyone. (LOL at the emphasis of "DMS was also arrested by the police" since rich people don't get away with things in China..../sarcasm). And then F4 all said that it was DMS in the past, he's not like that anymore, and how F3 helped change him and helped him get into college etc. 

This took away so much of what made SC & DMS's relationship great. She was supposed to be the one that changed him - from a violent, empty person to a almost-not-violent, I-live-for-love person. Granted, most versions, except for the original Taiwanese one, really tone down DMS's darkness. It makes me wonder if there was a way to portray how dark he is (like in the manga) without including too much school bullying and the likes. 

15 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

Hide contents

So in the recent eps, SC got kidnapped by some gang boss as a revenge to DMS since DMS broke the boss's leg in the past, apparently they had a fight at a bar and DMS beat up everyone. (LOL at the emphasis of "DMS was also arrested by the police" since rich people don't get away with things in China..../sarcasm). And then F4 all said that it was DMS in the past, he's not like that anymore, and how F3 helped change him and helped him get into college etc. 

This took away so much of what made SC & DMS's relationship great. She was supposed to be the one that changed him - from a violent, empty person to a almost-not-violent, I-live-for-love person. Granted, most versions, except for the original Taiwanese one, really tone down DMS's darkness. It makes me wonder if there was a way to portray how dark he is (like in the manga) without including too much school bullying and the likes. 

I would have loved to see that i think it would have been alot more impactfull. 

How dark was he in the manga? Would you say similar to DMS in Tawainese or Japanese version? Yeah, I really hope the OTP wont be separate so long just to get marry and wrap up fast at the end. But I am excited to see how this plays out.

12 hours ago, marielou92 said:

I have observed that they have revive many scenes from the previous Taiwanese version of Meteor Garden like the throwing of flour over Ah Si’s mom then the bus chasing scene.. I just really hope that they will not drag the amnesia part.. and I’m really worried that they will revive the Yesha-Daomingsi arc :tears:  

please gad I hope Yesha will not exist in this Meteor Garden 2018, that season 2 of Taiwanese version is the worst because Daomingsi fell really hard for Yesha  :angry:

Totally agree with you-PLease Do Not bring back anything from Meteor Garden 2 for this version! MG2 was a terrible drama.

11 hours ago, kokodus said:

I haven't watched the Taiwanese version @Table122000 but I'm sure this Shan Cai won't wait till the last ep to confess her feelings to him. There have been many scenes in the trailers and MVs that hints at their lovey dovey moments. 

For the amnesia part, I want them to follow the k-version. It was short and he never really fell for that other girl. 

Yes- I agree with you and hope that things are changed so that we have Shan Cai actually saying "I like you" or " I love you" to Si earlier on instead of never really saying it until the final episode.  That is one thing that I don't like in dramas is when one person confesses their love and the other person doesn't confess back. For me, that is an unbalanced relationship. I like it much better when everything is a more equal emotional relationship. 

And yes, please dramagods, make the amnesia very short and sweet. I also liked that about the K version. 

11 hours ago, lan_lan said:

Hopefully the producer took some cues from Japan’s HYD with how well received it was and follow them in recreating her storyline this time around.  

Reveal hidden contents

I did see a BTS video of Shancai in a big white wedding style dress with a tuxedo clad Si holding a bouquet of roses, while F4 and friends were around them all in white suits so.... 

From your post to the dramagods ears! Pleaase follow J drama to give us excellent proposal scene, engagement life, and wonderful wedding! J Drama version was the most satisfying for me because it gave great closure for the Shan Cai/ Si relationship. Taiwan version and Korea version endings weren't as good for me. 

10 hours ago, maisquared said:

nothing like an arranged marriage to kick things up a bit. haha. i actually really liked monkey girl's character in the korean version. i thought she was super cool and thought she had all the great characteristics that shanca/jan dii had plus being more vocal about her like for jun pyo. i know in the show she stopped being dense at some point and really did try to get in the way of jun pyo and jan di's relationship, but i liked the actress so much i couldn't help but forgive her too haha. not sure i will feel the same with this new version. 

Yes, one of the things I like about this version is that the arranged engagement/marrriage has more of a purpose for the plot as I agree with others here in the forum that it will be the catalyst for Shan Cai to realize her true feelings for Si. Having Shan Cai unsure of her feelings at this point in the drama can be frustrating, but I can also understand where she is coming from and it makes sense to me because really Daoming Si has been sending mixed messages at times, plus she overheard him denigrating and making fun of her with his friends. Plus, let's face it, his character is often immature, not to mention that he has anger management issues. The bad temper/anger issue is a huge red flag right there and would cause any person to think twice about pursuing a relationship with someone. Of course, in real life/more realistic drama, Si needs to be receiving therapy with a qualified therapist/psychologist. This is fantasy drama so they are glossing over these things, which I am sad to see since I was hoping that this time we may see a more realistic portrayal of how anger affects relationships and how a person learns to control their temper in a positive way because this version is supposed to be " more Grounded", according to the producer.

Between you and me, I also loved the monkey girl in the Korean version, even a little bit more than Jan Di. The actress was really good in the role and frankly had great chemistry with Lee Min Ho. I think this character is probably the most difficult for the writers and also the actress playing her because it's a very fine line. She needs to be likable, but also not too likable as we the audience have to see how she is not a match for Si, that Shan Cai is truly his match and Shan Cai is definitely "cooler".  I believe the character is supposed to be basically the female version of Daoming Si, so of course she wants to be friends with Shan Cai and also Shan Cai will be drawn to her as well.  For Si, they are too much alike to ever have a real romantic relationship work out. However, getting this across takes good writing and acting skills, which can be hard to find in the various versions. Hopefully, this version can find the balance needed. 

9 hours ago, rosierosie said:

I was lol so much when DMS was showing his cookies off to Lei, and Lei being Lei ate it all lmao. I vividly remember the girl Yesha that DMS falls in love with, but did he do that when he lost his memory? I hope he do not falls in love with Yesha though, because that wouldn't be fair to SC. I just saw the preview and he kissed monkey girl, I know he is upset at SC, but I hope he get back to his senses and reunite with SC too....dont let our OTP apart for too long. I'm glad someone spoiled that monkey girl is on for 3 to 4 episodes, so that's not too bad. I also wondered if Miezou and SC's boba friend will end up together in this one?

Yes, Daoming Si fell in love with Yesha after he lost his memory. Once his memory returned, he left Yesha and went back to Shan Cai .

Glad to know that they won't be dragging out the monkey girl storyline here. I always felt she was given too much importance in Korean version. Ximen and Xiaoyou have a relationship in manga, and in Taiwan and Korea versions.  If this version follows original MG2001, then those 2 should have a relationship but it's anyone's guess as to whether they will end up being a real couple. I'm hoping that this version will give them a satisfying happy ending.

9 hours ago, maisquared said:

I thought Ximen was the one who was interested in her. dude w/ glasses right? 

Meizou was interested in the cooking girl....thought we were gonna see more of her after their drink date.. was that just a boring filler?! they had 1 interesting line together lol i mean SC and the chef dude were also filler but at least their interactions were leading to something. :huh: there are sooo many external characters in this version.. maybe i did not pay attention to them as much in the k version but wow... i don't remember jan di just chatting it up w/ every dude who looks at her. i also preferred the k version of the 'missing during a blizzard' episode. this one seemed a bit rushed and then felt like it was over and nobody thought about it too much afterwards other than some teasing. 

also.. no wonder they had to slap glasses on Caesar Wu..he's VERYVERY good looking and prob could have made a good Dao Ming Si also. he's got the nerdy bridge vibe now, but could totally see him a bad boy. 

Yeah, Cesar Wu is really handsome. I agree with you that there are a lot of side characters here in this version, and I hope that we get to see them more fully developed here and with their own storylines. I was also disappointed when we didn't see more of Meizou and the Cooking Champion. I was really excited at first to see them because I thought that finally his character would have his own story!  Then nothing... For me one of the big weaknesses of the Hana Yori Dango adaptations is that we don't see fully developed characters with their own stories and arcs outside of Shan Cai, Si, and Lei characters. Xiayou/Ximen sometimes have a story arc, but it is often not fully developed or resolved. Unfortunately, I'm seeing the same thing here so far in the drama. Quing He and Li Zhen are absent much of the time, Ximen and Meizou are just sort of "there" in scenes, Xiaoyou doesn't get much to do either. I'm hoping that will change as we move toward the second half of the drama. To be honest, I'm finding the Ximen/Xiaoyou interactions underwhelming in this version. I loved their storyline in the Korean version the most since the 2 characters had real conversations and a lot more interaction with each other. Here in this version, all we get is Ximen telling Xiaoyou "you're cute".  I really hope this changes as the drama goes on.

34 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

How dark was he in the manga? Would you say similar to DMS in Tawainese or Japanese version? Yeah, I really hope the OTP wont be separate so long just to get marry and wrap up fast at the end. But I am excited to see how this plays out.

He was very dark - he was cold, he wouldnt think twice about hurting people (hence the red card business; he didnt hurt people for fun or no reason but if he got a chance to he really went far with beating people up), but mainly because he didnt feel anything for anyone. In the manga, when he realized that the girl who claimed to be the key to his memory was faking it, he immediately shut down in front of her and told her to eff off, and that this was how he originally was: no feelings, empty, cannot give a crap about anyone. And we see the epic change after he started interacting with Tsukushi. So Id say it was closer to the Taiwanese version than the Japanese one

Also the reason why there are so many side characters in this version is because theyre following the manga lol the manga is very long (went on for 15 something years) so it cant be helped that there were a lot of side stories. The chef guy story in the manga was done a bit better, I feel like they could have done away with his character here in this version because it was so lackluster. But thats the age old dilemma of adapting a book to the screen: are you gonna put everything on screen (loyal, but risk being clunky) or edit it down?

51 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

Spoiler

- for those who are not watching from Netflix: the reason why some of us are concerned about a break between "season 1" and "season 2" is because on Netflix now it shows that we're at "season 1", implying that there's a "season 2", but what that means is probably just them breaking the 48 eps into 2 seasons or so. The concern here is whether they will take a break between airing 2 seasons or not - they've done that before with Terrace House, which airs continuously in Japan, but takes more than a month break between each "season" on Netflix (so they can batch-release 8 eps at once). Since there was a preview for ep 21 (from the airing in China), here's to hoping that we will see more 6-8 new eps a week!

Ok this is making me worried. I had no idea that Netflix had done this before. Sighhhh. Let's hope that they don't take a break and release all the eps as scheduled. Gawddddddddd. I really can't wait.....

@Table122000  I was also a little upset that they didn't follow up Meizuo's story with the cooking champion girl. That said though I'm ok with the treatment of secondary characters here, Ximen and Meizuo already get a lot of time here supporting Ah Si and being there for him whenever needed. And as you said, Ximen's arc with Xiaoyou is underdeveloped for now, but we still have 28 more eps, so I'm pretty sure they will get their own time to shine. Honestly speaking, I don't mind the focus on our OTP alone, the secondary characters are called secondary because they are only there to support the main characters. Only a handful of shows flesh out their secondary characters in a way that is entertaining and doesn't disrupt the flow of the main storyline. Let's see how they do this here....

4 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

He was very dark - he was cold, he wouldnt think twice about hurting people (hence the red card business; he didnt hurt people for fun or no reason but if he got a chance to he really went far with beating people up), but mainly because he didnt feel anything for anyone. In the manga, when he realized that the girl who claimed to be the key to his memory was faking it, he immediately shut down in front of her and told her to eff off, and that this was how he originally was: no feelings, empty, cannot give a crap about anyone. And we see the epic change after he started interacting with Tsukushi. 

Also the reason why there are so many side characters in this version is because theyre following the manga lol the manga is very long (went on for 15 somethibg years) so it cant be helped that there were a lot of side stories. The chef guy story in the manga was done a bit better, I feel like they could have done away with his character here in this version because it was so lackluster. But thats the age old dilemma of adapting a book to the screen: are you gonna put everything on screen (loyal, but risk being clunky) or edit it down?

I actually would have preferred that side of him for this drama. He was already basically healed before the drama even begun due to his friends. 

Yes I think I have said this before, by making him a genius and responsible person, they already lost most of the opportunity for showing the character growth. Meh. But I think him having extremely violent tendencies does make for a nice conflict. He really need to stop beating up people. LOL. Even if it is not as exaggerated as in the manga, but he does have some issues, we overlook them because he behaves like an marshmallow at other times. Hahaha. 

50 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Yes I think I have said this before, by making him a genius and responsible person, they already lost most of the opportunity for showing the character growth. Meh. But I think him having extremely violent tendencies does make for a nice conflict. He really need to stop beating up people. LOL. Even if it is not as exaggerated as in the manga, but he does have some issues, we overlook them because he behaves like an marshmallow at other times. Hahaha. 

Well in their defense, they wanted the story to be more realistic that’s why they made F4 (not just Daomingsi) responsible & someone bright. because you know, they can’t pass at a university in China if they aren’t one. 

Yes, him being so childish, impulsive, and violent at times are his characteristics that needs improvement in the drama, thats still a lot :D

1 hour ago, marielou92 said:

Well in their defense, they wanted the story to be more realistic that’s why they made F4 (not just Daomingsi) responsible & someone bright. because you know, they can’t pass at a university in China if they aren’t one. 

Yes, him being so childish, impulsive, and violent at times are his characteristics that needs improvement in the drama, thats still a lot :D

Haha true. In the other versions, the school they studied in belong to Tsukasa's family, so yeah no one could question how they got into it. LOLOL.

_______

On a second thought, I think there is no need for me to hurry and watch the raws this week because it's going to be only heartbreak and angst anyways. Sighhh. I'll just wait for the Netflix to upload them. Will watch the heartwrenching angst in HD, it'll be more painful that way. I'm soooo doomed. LOL. 

6 hours ago, kokodus said:

@lan_lan Maybe they are preserving the close up shot of that kiss scene for a flashback scene in later eps. LOL. It happens sometimes. I actually was not very much excited about this kiss because you know she just said she was unsure about her feelings for him. Meh. The wedding should definitely happen. I'll protest if they don't give us a wedding. After all that they have made us go through, we deserve it. This is why I like the J-version the most, season 1 ends with Makino's confession, season 2 ends with Tsukasa's prosposal and the movie with their beautiful and out of the world wedding and a hint of little Tsukasa in the making. Hahaha. It filled my heart completely. I could have never asked for anything more. It was a perfect show no matter how you look at it. So yeah, wedding. SHOULD HAPPEN. 

Caesar's voice is the best. He sings effortlessly, I love him. Connor is good as well. 

nope.. the raw version released, had close up shot.. and then i watched it with subs and the scene was cut short.. unfortunately when these sites upload subbed version, they remove raw

2.png?w=625images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFNQGCKwv4_2qUw3JA4-keng-sub-meteor-garden-2018-ep-19-310x165

No matter the country or it's version of this story I have loved them all.  Although there is a mixture of scenes and each country has there own special twist in how the actors are bringing these characters to life.  Still each one is unique and brings out even more beauty when you think you couldn't love the story anymore.  You find that you do.  This OTP is so magical to me its not just how much larger he is in body which I really love.  It's realizing how even his heart seems much bigger and so full of his love for her.  It's how he looks at her, how he worries and protects her and most of all how proud he is of her it's like his whole face lights up in just the sight of her.  The way his body seems to swallow her up within his and they give off this feeling of warmth in being such a perfect fit...

I have my favorite scenes like so many others here, but I guess the piano scene has always been my favorite.  How she stands up and faces her fears and does it by throwing his Mothers degrading & humiliating trap right back at her.  Uses her heart as her shield and her courage to prove that having money doesn't make you better than someone else.  That it's all those things that money can't buy that are in truth the most important in life.  Kindness, caring, understanding, and accepting others not for what they aren't but instead opening up your heart and seeing what they are...

Beauty isn't only in what you see.

Rather the beauty most valuable is found in what you don't.

Instead is felt by the heart and reflected through your actions.

That speak much louder than words ever could...

4 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

He was very dark - he was cold, he wouldnt think twice about hurting people (hence the red card business; he didnt hurt people for fun or no reason but if he got a chance to he really went far with beating people up), but mainly because he didnt feel anything for anyone. In the manga, when he realized that the girl who claimed to be the key to his memory was faking it, he immediately shut down in front of her and told her to eff off, and that this was how he originally was: no feelings, empty, cannot give a crap about anyone. And we see the epic change after he started interacting with Tsukushi. So Id say it was closer to the Taiwanese version than the Japanese one

I didn't quote the other users who mentioned this.. but I agree.. I don't think we got the same impact of the red card as in the other versions and Ah Si's coldness/dark tendencies and his temper issues aren't as impactful when it comes to his relationship with SC and turning a new leaf of sorts. but after reading that article about censorship rules about no bullying and stuff I guess they did the best they could with what they were allowed to do

5 hours ago, Table122000 said:

And yes, please dramagods, make the amnesia very short and sweet. I also liked that about the K version. 

Yes, one of the things I like about this version is that the arranged engagement/marrriage has more of a purpose for the plot as I agree with others here in the forum that it will be the catalyst for Shan Cai to realize her true feelings for Si. Having Shan Cai unsure of her feelings at this point in the drama can be frustrating, but I can also understand where she is coming from and it makes sense to me because really Daoming Si has been sending mixed messages at times, plus she overheard him denigrating and making fun of her with his friends. Plus, let's face it, his character is often immature, not to mention that he has anger management issues. The bad temper/anger issue is a huge red flag right there and would cause any person to think twice about pursuing a relationship with someone. Of course, in real life/more realistic drama, Si needs to be receiving therapy with a qualified therapist/psychologist. This is fantasy drama so they are glossing over these things, which I am sad to see since I was hoping that this time we may see a more realistic portrayal of how anger affects relationships and how a person learns to control their temper in a positive way because this version is supposed to be " more Grounded", according to the producer.

Between you and me, I also loved the monkey girl in the Korean version, even a little bit more than Jan Di. The actress was really good in the role and frankly had great chemistry with Lee Min Ho. I think this character is probably the most difficult for the writers and also the actress playing her because it's a very fine line. She needs to be likable, but also not too likable as we the audience have to see how she is not a match for Si, that Shan Cai is truly his match and Shan Cai is definitely "cooler".  I believe the character is supposed to be basically the female version of Daoming Si, so of course she wants to be friends with Shan Cai and also Shan Cai will be drawn to her as well.  For Si, they are too much alike to ever have a real romantic relationship work out. However, getting this across takes good writing and acting skills, which can be hard to find in the various versions. Hopefully, this version can find the balance needed. 

Yes, Daoming Si fell in love with Yesha after he lost his memory. Once his memory returned, he left Yesha and went back to Shan Cai .

Glad to know that they won't be dragging out the monkey girl storyline here. I always felt she was given too much importance in Korean version. Ximen and Xiaoyou have a relationship in manga, and in Taiwan and Korea versions.  If this version follows original MG2001, then those 2 should have a relationship but it's anyone's guess as to whether they will end up being a real couple. I'm hoping that this version will give them a satisfying happy ending.

Yeah, Cesar Wu is really handsome. I agree with you that there are a lot of side characters here in this version, and I hope that we get to see them more fully developed here and with their own storylines. I was also disappointed when we didn't see more of Meizou and the Cooking Champion. I was really excited at first to see them because I thought that finally his character would have his own story!  Then nothing... For me one of the big weaknesses of the Hana Yori Dango adaptations is that we don't see fully developed characters with their own stories and arcs outside of Shan Cai, Si, and Lei characters. Xiayou/Ximen sometimes have a story arc, but it is often not fully developed or resolved. Unfortunately, I'm seeing the same thing here so far in the drama. Quing He and Li Zhen are absent much of the time, Ximen and Meizou are just sort of "there" in scenes, Xiaoyou doesn't get much to do either. I'm hoping that will change as we move toward the second half of the drama. To be honest, I'm finding the Ximen/Xiaoyou interactions underwhelming in this version. I loved their storyline in the Korean version the most since the 2 characters had real conversations and a lot more interaction with each other. Here in this version, all we get is Ximen telling Xiaoyou "you're cute".  I really hope this changes as the drama goes on.

Agree with everything haha. I did love the relationship between the Kversion of Xiayou/Ximen. I felt the way she helped him emotionally (even though it seemed like a sad one-sided love for a bit) was really well done and more thought out. The interactions between the new version seems kind of bland..like from the earlier episodes don't we know they are both tea experts!? isn't that something they have in common that they could play up. Had they been tasting tea instead of wine at the cabin, maybe the writers could have shown that Xiayou could hold her own and that Ximen could see her as more of a complex character than someone 'cute'. Quinghe started out as a strong character and then kind of disappeared. I thought he was going to be the male version of So-eun, but kinda just served as another guy who loves SC.. haha I dunno his character seems a bit underdeveloped too. Like he's a sidekick as this point but doesn't contribute much to anything anymore. I do love the focus on OTP, but I think the side stories and development of other characters reflect on our OTP on who they are as people..even though this is a drama, I think 48 episodes (hopefully) is enough to develop these characters a bit more. I too miss the interactions between the kversion of Ximen and Meizou. There was more backstory on each character in the k version and you could see why their friendship meant so much to each of them and why they stuck together. I enjoy how and why they help the OTPs try to stay together, but feel without the backstory it's not as touching.

I am prob the only person who wished the amnesia plot was a bit longer in the kversion. Like I had wished they focused less on monkey girl in the kversion and more on the amnesia plot (like 2ish eps?). it seemed really short compared to the time they spent on monkey girl development. i mean, i dont want an entirely 2nd season devoted to it. i'm ready for the angst, but most importantly ready for the interactions between SC + Lei. I like both actors a bit more in this version than the Kversion and they are doing a great job. Hope I don't get 2nd lead syndrome tho haha. 

Spoiler

the scene w/ Lei + scary mom was really really good. In the k version felt like all the f4 folk were so rich they were untouchable so I like how potential issues with Lei's family business is being played w/ by evil mom. Nothing is sacred to her! Not even childhood friendship! 

I'm loving these forums! It's always adds to a drama when you can read other people's insights and esp since I haven't watched the other versions of this, the timelines and reading about the differences are also really helpful. 

Archived