[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

9 hours ago, kokodus said:

I'm so done with Shan Cai though, correct me if I'm wrong, but she was not this indecisive in other versions, was she???

Well, in Taiwan version Shan Cai refuses to speak her feelings to Si until the final episode. All through the drama, Si keeps asking Shan Cai if she loves him, and she won't give a direct answer. So, I'm thinking perhaps this version is sort of following that  a bit. For Japan and Korea version, Shan Cai and Si are more definitely a couple and Shan Cai makes her feelings known earlier in the timeline. For this version, they are playing more with the timeline since in other versions the birthday dinner/engagement happens a lot later and after Shan Cai & Si have been dating a while and a re a couple.

8 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Did this manga ever get its own anime?

Yes. There is a 51 episode anime version for Boys Over Flowers/Hana Yori Dango. It was made in 1996 before the manga ended so the ending of the anime is different from the manga ending.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Table122000 said:

Well, in Taiwan version Shan Cai refuses to speak her feelings to Si until the final episode. All through the drama, Si keeps asking Shan Cai if she loves him, and she won't give a direct answer. So, I'm thinking perhaps this version is sort of following that  a bit. For Japan and Korea version, Shan Cai and Si are more definitely a couple and Shan Cai makes her feelings known earlier in the timeline. For this version, they are playing more with the timeline since in other versions the birthday dinner/engagement happens a lot later and after Shan Cai & Si have been dating a while and a re a couple.

Yes. There is a 51 episode anime version for Boys Over Flowers/Hana Yori Dango. It was made in 1996 before the manga ended so the ending of the anime is different from the manga ending.

I would hate if she confessed in the last episode please not. 

40 minutes ago, marielou92 said:

I have observed that they have revive many scenes from the previous Taiwanese version of Meteor Garden like the throwing of flour over Ah Si’s mom then the bus chasing scene.. I just really hope that they will not drag the amnesia part.. and I’m really worried that they will revive the Yesha-Daomingsi arc :tears:  

please gad I hope Yesha will not exist in this Meteor Garden 2018, that season 2 of Taiwanese version is the worst because Daomingsi fell really hard for Yesha  :angry:

Oh god I think that would really kill this drama for me and I’m afraid it might happen seeing as how they had him kiss two other girls already. 

10 minutes ago, lan_lan said:

Oh god I think that would really kill this drama for me and I’m afraid it might happen seeing as how they had him kiss two other girls already. 

If he falls for her while having amnesia i can sort of accept it but if its real DS then i cant. 

@lan_lanMaybe I'm just soooo biased towards Si that I fail to put myself in Shan Cai's shoes. But its been freaking 20 eps and it's high time she realizes her feelings towards him. I just want to shake her up when she said she is not sure about him yet. SIGHHHHHH. But as @rosierosie said, I think this engagement is a great way for her to finally come to her senses. I can't wait for her to chase him now. Just go and grab him by the tie and kiss him, Shan Cai. That is the one scene I'm most looking forward to. 

I haven't watched the Taiwanese version @Table122000 but I'm sure this Shan Cai won't wait till the last ep to confess her feelings to him. There have been many scenes in the trailers and MVs that hints at their lovey dovey moments. 

For the amnesia part, I want them to follow the k-version. It was short and he never really fell for that other girl. 

Hopefully the producer took some cues from Japan’s HYD with how well received it was and follow them in recreating her storyline this time around.  

Spoiler

I did see a BTS video of Shancai in a big white wedding style dress with a tuxedo clad Si holding a bouquet of roses, while F4 and friends were around them all in white suits so.... 

8 minutes ago, lan_lan said:

Hopefully the producer took some cues from Japan’s HYD with how well received it was and follow them in recreating her storyline this time around.  

Reveal hidden contents

I did see a BTS video of Shancai in a big white wedding style dress with a tuxedo clad Si holding a bouquet of roses, while F4 and friends were around them all in white suits so.... 

There already have been two scenes where Shan Cai dreams of getting married. So I think there will definitely be a scne of them getting married for real in the end. Just thinking about it makes me feel SOOOOOOOOOOO ecstatic. LOL. 

23 minutes ago, kokodus said:

@lan_lanMaybe I'm just soooo biased towards Si that I fail to put myself in Shan Cai's shoes. But its been freaking 20 eps and it's high time she realizes her feelings towards him. I just want to shake her up when she said she is not sure about him yet. SIGHHHHHH. But as @rosierosie said, I think this engagement is a great way for her to finally come to her senses. I can't wait for her to chase him now. Just go and grab him by the tie and kiss him, Shan Cai. That is the one scene I'm most looking forward to. 

I haven't watched the Taiwanese version @Table122000 but I'm sure this Shan Cai won't wait till the last ep to confess her feelings to him. There have been many scenes in the trailers and MVs that hints at their lovey dovey moments. 

For the amnesia part, I want them to follow the k-version. It was short and he never really fell for that other girl. 

i know..after 20 episodes you gotta throw your hands in the air and be as frustrated as ah si lol 

nothing like an arranged marriage to kick things up a bit. haha. i actually really liked monkey girl's character in the korean version. i thought she was super cool and thought she had all the great characteristics that shanca/jan dii had plus being more vocal about her like for jun pyo. i know in the show she stopped being dense at some point and really did try to get in the way of jun pyo and jan di's relationship, but i liked the actress so much i couldn't help but forgive her too haha. not sure i will feel the same with this new version. 

Spoiler

ugh is the amnesia plot is gonna show up in s2? seems like monkey girl should at least take up the last 4 episodes of this season. 

also..anyone else feel the gangster ploy was a little underdone? i felt like the kidnapping story in the k version flowed a bit better. i guess if i were the mom i would show up around that time too. like my son is hanging out w/ some girl and goes missing in a blizzard, gets beaten up by gangsters and causing a commotion on a tv program than yah.. i guess that would warrant a show up too haha i'm looking forward to evil mom scenes. haven't watched ep 19 or 20 yet! 

all the trailers and bits and pieces from the beginning and end of the show can't be just from this season right?! if so we are almost at the end of s1 when does s2 get released!? we're getting 48 eps right? omg they better not take a break between s1 and s2. 

I was lol so much when DMS was showing his cookies off to Lei, and Lei being Lei ate it all lmao. I vividly remember the girl Yesha that DMS falls in love with, but did he do that when he lost his memory? I hope he do not falls in love with Yesha though, because that wouldn't be fair to SC. I just saw the preview and he kissed monkey girl, I know he is upset at SC, but I hope he get back to his senses and reunite with SC too....dont let our OTP apart for too long. I'm glad someone spoiled that monkey girl is on for 3 to 4 episodes, so that's not too bad. I also wondered if Miezou and SC's boba friend will end up together in this one?

10 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

I was lol so much when DMS was showing his cookies off to Lei, and Lei being Lei ate it all lmao. I vividly remember the girl Yesha that DMS falls in love with, but did he do that when he lost his memory? I hope he do not falls in love with Yesha though, because that wouldn't be fair to SC. I just saw the preview and he kissed monkey girl, I know he is upset at SC, but I hope he get back to his senses and reunite with SC too....dont let our OTP apart for too long. I'm glad someone spoiled that monkey girl is on for 3 to 4 episodes, so that's not too bad. I also wondered if Miezou and SC's boba friend will end up together in this one?

I thought Ximen was the one who was interested in her. dude w/ glasses right? 

Meizou was interested in the cooking girl....thought we were gonna see more of her after their drink date.. was that just a boring filler?! they had 1 interesting line together lol i mean SC and the chef dude were also filler but at least their interactions were leading to something. :huh: there are sooo many external characters in this version.. maybe i did not pay attention to them as much in the k version but wow... i don't remember jan di just chatting it up w/ every dude who looks at her. i also preferred the k version of the 'missing during a blizzard' episode. this one seemed a bit rushed and then felt like it was over and nobody thought about it too much afterwards other than some teasing. 

also.. no wonder they had to slap glasses on Caesar Wu..he's VERYVERY good looking and prob could have made a good Dao Ming Si also. he's got the nerdy bridge vibe now, but could totally see him a bad boy. 

6 hours ago, marielou92 said:

I have observed that they have revive many scenes from the previous Taiwanese version of Meteor Garden like the throwing of flour over Ah Si’s mom then the bus chasing scene.. I just really hope that they will not drag the amnesia part.. and I’m really worried that they will revive the Yesha-Daomingsi arc :tears:  

please gad I hope Yesha will not exist in this Meteor Garden 2018, that season 2 of Taiwanese version is the worst because Daomingsi fell really hard for Yesha  :angry:

those scenes are there in all versions..

korean.. mom throws salt on si's mom.. because salt is used to cast away bad spirits in korea.. japan has similar scene.. taiwan and china are practically similar so flour must be their thing

6 hours ago, marielou92 said:

Worse part about season II was he was with the other girl for the majority of the series! Argh! Upsetting to watch.

6 hours ago, lan_lan said:

Then you’re going to love episode 19’s bedscene hehehe. I love their friendship in this version and also “Lei the furnace” in the Canada episode. 

Jandi was just so crass and unbearable. This Shancai has like a quiet strength to her that comes out when the moment counts.  Like her talking back to the thugs before Si came and now during the piano scene that was so badass to me. 

There is is an anime version:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/106/Hana_yori_Dango

you mean cookie scene? nah.. that's not even close to the two fighting and well.. literally BL teaser :P 

oh god! lei the furnace is the cutest thing ever... jing is an idiot...like a big idiot... i am worried.. when lei cries.. how to handle that :(

thnks for the link.. and jana di - even if this character was supposed to be the lamest female lead character. .i wouldn't be upset with the character but that particular actress because she IS horrible and worth casting (although her husband is a real life lei :) ..  and also, i like this girl but i just don't like her acting..can't stand it)

4 hours ago, rosierosie said:

oh there are so many tracks for the separation and lei's one sided love supportng SC through the horrible time

1. Monkey girl business - the iconic scene is... Si kisses monkey girl and lei prevents SC from seeing it.. 1st time SC cries and Lei is by her side

2. double date at hotel.. monkey girl makes SC feel that si and her were getting close in those bathrobes.. 

3. SC is supposed to move out of the house and live somewhere else, Si is supposed to move in into the next appartment.. parents go to countryside to find livelihood after si's mom wrecks havoc in SC life

4. Something happens and SC is recruited as maid in Si's house- some moments (this is there in opening credits so we are getting this track for sure)

5. monkey girl problem solved on condition that si needs to be more responsible...Si will go away to london to manage business (which is end of s1 of japanese version).. and this is the scene where SC confesses love to Si :)

6.  Si doesn't return, SC goes abroad to meet him, is turned down ( the best time for lei-sc shippers.. well atleast lei gets to be near her)

7. si does come back, SC chalenges MIL , memory loss and final reunion

26 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

oh there are so many tracks for the separation and lei's one sided love supportng SC through the horrible time

1. Monkey girl business - the iconic scene is... Si kisses monkey girl and lei prevents SC from seeing it.. 1st time SC cries and Lei is by her side

2. double date at hotel.. monkey girl makes SC feel that si and her were getting close in those bathrobes.. 

3. SC is supposed to move out of the house and live somewhere else, Si is supposed to move in into the next appartment.. parents go to countryside to find livelihood after si's mom wrecks havoc in SC life

4. Something happens and SC is recruited as maid in Si's house- some moments (this is there in opening credits so we are getting this track for sure)

5. monkey girl problem solved on condition that si needs to be more responsible...Si will go away to london to manage business (which is end of s1 of japanese version).. and this is the scene where SC confesses love to Si :)

6.  Si doesn't return, SC goes abroad to meet him, is turned down ( the best time for lei-sc shippers.. well atleast lei gets to be near her)

All of this sounds so tiring. Most of the time they stay separated than together. I hope we get to see them being all lovey dovey for at least 8-10 episodes. In previous versions all the separation didn't effect me much because I wasn't really into the leads chemistry and my heart kept wavering between main lead(dms) and second lead(lei) but in this version I really see the chemistry and have special spot for dms (maybe its Dylan) and want them to be happy together for a long time not just in the end.

58 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Great! I'm pretty sure this is how the events are going to unveil in this version. I was thinking last night how they are going to fit in the London part. Because in both the Korean and J-version, the leads are already together before he leaves to London. He didn't even give her the necklace yet in here. Instead we got straight into the arranged marriage part which should happen much later after they got together. It also makes sense that Shan Cai will realize her feelings only after she experience the pain of losing him to someone else. I can kinda get behind that. I think the part where she becomes his maid should happen when monkey girl is still there, but from the clips I saw, Si and Shan Cai are soooo chummy with each other when she is wearing her maid dress. ahhh don't know, i'm not going to guess what is going to happen. I just wish for more lovey dovey moments. LOL

7 hours ago, kokodus said:

There already have been two scenes where Shan Cai dreams of getting married. So I think there will definitely be a scne of them getting married for real in the end. Just thinking about it makes me feel SOOOOOOOOOOO ecstatic. LOL. 

I wonder if there will be a third wedding dream because in one of the trailer/MV there’s a scene of them wearing the same clothes from her 2nd dream but he’s carrying her and spinning.  Unless that was just an outtake used for the trailer.  Like how I didn’t like that they took away the close up shot of their birthday kiss that we saw from the “For You” MV. 

Speaking of that song Caesar being trolled by F3 in this clip is so cute and funny 

@lan_lan Maybe they are preserving the close up shot of that kiss scene for a flashback scene in later eps. LOL. It happens sometimes. I actually was not very much excited about this kiss because you know she just said she was unsure about her feelings for him. Meh. The wedding should definitely happen. I'll protest if they don't give us a wedding. After all that they have made us go through, we deserve it. This is why I like the J-version the most, season 1 ends with Makino's confession, season 2 ends with Tsukasa's prosposal and the movie with their beautiful and out of the world wedding and a hint of little Tsukasa in the making. Hahaha. It filled my heart completely. I could have never asked for anything more. It was a perfect show no matter how you look at it. So yeah, wedding. SHOULD HAPPEN. 

Caesar's voice is the best. He sings effortlessly, I love him. Connor is good as well. 

Archived