[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

Just wanted to share this BTS video because it reminded me of the good points of the show despite the disappointment that was the last few episodes. I really like this scene and the BTS is just as good or even better. They are such cute puppies!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I should feel glad or sad that I've now finished watching MG2018. But one thing is for sure, I want to say that I want to file a complaint against the production for their imprudence resulting in damage to my sanity and in emotional breakdown. #ImOkay #NoNotReally #HowToMoveOn

Thoughts about the last two episodes:

• Flashbacks took more or less a total of 15-minute screen-time. Yep, I literally counted it because what else am I supposed to do apart from skipping? Lol. Though it's nice to look back, as mentioned before, it would've been better if this was used for new scenes. Example: to properly transition to the wedding part. 

• I'm still confused as to why AhSi is hell bent in marrying Shancai first before saving their company. They could've possibly avoided the hunger-strike if he shared his secret plan first. Anyone who could share their thoughts about this? 

• Speaking of the wedding, I only have one question. WHYYYYYY? When AhSi asked SC's hand from her parents, it was said that they value relationships between families (or something like that) There are people in the wedding who aren't supposed to be there, yet the parents are nowhere to be found. 

• The wedding prank is acceptable to me, if and only if the parents were there. I mean I find it funny when the parents connive with the craziness of their child/children, 'no? 

• I felt so warm and fuzzy during the post-wedding scenes. The life that they deserve. Yes, even with the PPL lol. 

Thoughts about the drama as a whole:

I'm in love with it. I can't just say I love it. Because they're a whole different thing. When you're in love, you know there are flaws but you still accept them. I can throw rants here and there about scriptwriting, execution and all that, but at the end of the day I know I'd still go back and watch. 

I cared less if it was really faithful to the manga or not. I just want to enjoy it. I admit that most of the time I'm getting too technical whenever I watch a film or a drama (I finished a degree in media/communication arts and can't really just avoid it) that I often forget that the reason I'm watching is to enjoy and escape reality for a while. 

For me, I'd say that MG2018 is by far the best adaptation of HYD. It made me feel a lot of things, I cried with the characters, I laughed and got frustrated even. Also, the actors/actresses owned their roles. They really got a very good chemistry. The relationship/friendship between F4 was also highlighted, something that wasn't given a focus in other versions. I live for the bromance, aside from SC and DMS love story. 

Okay, this is getting too long, I'm so sorry for writing a whole essay lol but really, I think I can write a whole gd of a novel regarding my thoughts about this drama. 

I just finished it!!! Wow it was a really funny and great drama!! I really like this version. I am so happy they all have a happy ending, especially our OTP :)!!! At the end of ep 49, it is really nice to see 

Spoiler

F4, Shancai and the guy singer and director to come and sing the song!!!

They wrapped up the drama very nice!!! I'm going to miss F4, especially our puppy, Ah Si!!! 

OH MAI GAD!!!!!! @7psyche7 That bts is everything!!!!! Why do they have to be such cute puppies???? Now I can't even tell whether they were acting or just been themselves throughout the drama. Seriously having doubts now. I think the director also sensed the natural chemie between them and let them do whatever they wanted. LOL.

4 hours ago, 7psyche7 said:

Just wanted to share this BTS video because it reminded me of the good points of the show despite the disappointment that was the last few episodes. I really like this scene and the BTS is just as good or even better. They are such cute puppies!

\

I really :heart: this BTS. Helped to foster their chemistry and yet you know that they are just friends.  *peace*

~~

Sorry in advance, I cannot remove the video from the quote

~~

Am feeling a little bit empty after finishing MG yesterday.  Reading your thoughts here helps alot. Looking forward to the next one maybe another 15-20 yrs from now!! Thanks :D

I've made peace with that strange ending. I'm just going to pretend that those nonsensical and illogical stuff in the last few eps didn't happen at all. II'll skip those scenes whenever I rewatch this show as well, so after a period of time, I'll forget it ever happened at all. LOL. The wedding for me starts with their wedding kiss and everything after that was really satisfying. There is no PPL in this show, those are the products we use day to day, so you can't accuse them of forcing those onto us. LOLOL. I totally need that soy milk maker!!!! 

Ok alright, fine, let me just go and start my rewatch session. I'm very much excited to start from the beginning. EEEEEEEE. 

Edited to add: 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/namjhyun/which-f4-member-is-your-perfect-boyfriend-3l8jd?

You guys I totally cheated, because I very well know what answers would get me Dao Ming Si. LOL. 

9 hours ago, mouse007 said:

@cantbreathe Hahahaha!! I literally cried laughing at your comment because I was thinking the same! Like the camera couldn’t even focus on his face properly and he did look so unattractive and creepy!! It made him seem like such a stalker too! 

Guys i really think that london scene where lei looked extra weird meeting the guys is CGI XD

im almost sure its not weird cinematography 

they just couldnt get darren to film that day maybe or couldnt fly him to london 

so they just had the crappy idea to greenscreen him or something and thought we wouldnt notice( GUYS WE NOTICES ...IT WAS BAD XD)

also thank you @kokodus for the quizz xD

always fun

and ofc i got daoming si too ... i really tried to not guess the answers related to him and go with whats true ... still managed to get him somehow haha 

Initially I saw lots of comments saying that Shan Cai has been over reacting, because this version of Si didn't even do anything terrible, like he didn't step on her phone intentionally, also he didn't send men to harrass her either. Well the problem is that if we compare him to the previous 2001 Ah si, or Tsukasa/Gu Jun Pyo he indeed would seem a 100 times more better. But if we compare him to a normal person like you and me, he does seem to have extreme anger management issues. That scene where he slammed the food on her face was very painful to watch. Also the way he pushed Li zhen away violently. Any guy who grew up with a sister wouldn't be soo violent with other girls. That's what I thought when I first watched it, but I think his violent behaviour can very well be attributed to his mom and his sister as well seeing how they both treat him. His sister means well of course, but I guess he never learnt that he shouldnt hit girls. Not a problem, SC was there to teach him how to behave. LOL. He totally deserved that flying kick imo

We can clearly see the flash of regret in his face immediately after he slammed the food on her. He knew what he did was wrong but his hardass self can't apologize or make it right, hence why that flying kick was needed. Hahaha. 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:33 AM, insertusernamehere said:

Does anyone know where this gif is from? I rewatched the Canada arc but it wasnt in the dream sequence:

Check out @ohheyvivian8’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/ohheyvivian8/status/1035386453889613824?s=09

I know this reply is like a few years too late, haha, but I found, well, not the exact gif, but another wedding scene that fits it. In the Sanya arc, after she accidentally kisses DMS, she has this nightmare that she marries DMS. 

@kokodus I am rewatching it too. I’m not getting over this obsession any time soon, haha. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Sanya bit where they kiss for the first time. DMS is so captivated by her when she appears on the beach and his facial expressions are just spot on. OMG the way he looks at her! *faints*

@kokodus I took the test and got Daoming Si without trying to! Does that mean we really are meant to be? Hahaha! I’m so happy with the results!! 

Im going to be re-watching as well. Even though this version of MG isn’t perfect (tbh there isn’t a perfect version), it’s my favourite and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. I loved the cast, and didn’t really mind the changes they made to this version. And of course, I love the fact that they chose to exclude the amnesia arc. 

I also found it hard to watch DS slam that food on SC’s face. For some reason, it actually bothered me more than the bullying in the other versions. I think it bothered me more because it was just the two of them and it hit her face. I know a lot of people didn’t like the fact that they toned down the bullying in this version but this particular scene alone, to me, made the point. I also really liked the fact that only in the version do we see DS immediately regret his actions. It showed that he wasn’t innately evil, he’s just impulsive and let’s his emotions and pride get the better of him. 

One thing I also appreciate about DS, yes he is impulsive and he wears his heart on his shoulders but that part of him doesn’t actually change. He remains consistently impulsive all the way until the end. What changes is how he channels it. In the beginning he lashes out at anything and anyone over the smallest things. But after he meets SC, he is only impulsive in his desire to be with her. Hence probably the reason as to why he wanted to marry her so quickly. 

One of my favorite parts about this version, like some other people have mentioned, is they actually did relationship things when they weren't overcoming this and that. I always felt a disconnect with the original, because I always thought to myself, what are they fighting so hard for? they are so incompatible, even if they did end up together it's going to be such a rocky relationship. Despite DMS saving SC on multiple occasions and doing and saying things that make the viewer go AWWW...what else was there? He has always been very impulsive and over the top so declaring his undying love for SC over and over just seemed normal. I saw real growth when he spent the whole night keeping SC company to be with a heartbroken Xiaoyou, because it was important to her.  I really felt that he had come so far with these little things that are important for building the foundation for a solid relationship. The look on SC's face definitely showed more appreciation for him than when he was saving her. Makes fighting so hard to hold on to each other much more believable.

1 hour ago, rocky689 said:

One of my favorite parts about this version, like some other people have mentioned, is they actually did relationship things when they weren't overcoming this and that. I always felt a disconnect with the original, because I always thought to myself, what are they fighting so hard for? they are so incompatible, even if they did end up together it's going to be such a rocky relationship. Despite DMS saving SC on multiple occasions and doing and saying things that make the viewer go AWWW...what else was there? He has always been very impulsive and over the top so declaring his undying love for SC over and over just seemed normal. I saw real growth when he spent the whole night keeping SC company to be with a heartbroken Xiaoyou, because it was important to her.  I really felt that he had come so far with these little things that are important for building the foundation for a solid relationship. The look on SC's face definitely showed more appreciation for him than when he was saving her. Makes fighting so hard to hold on to each other much more believable.

@rocky689 same! I also liked that there was much more of DS and SC just having dates and doing mundane things together like studying together, eating together and even supporting their friends together like whenever they kept XY company during karaoke. 

I also liked that there were a lot of displays of affection between them like forehead kisses, holding hands, hugging and even when they were with their friends, they were sitting together with one of them leaning on the other. I know a lot of us hoped for more passionate kisses but we also have to remember there were more of these other forms of affection than the other versions. 

Thanks for the link to that quiz @kokodus -how fun! So, I took the quiz and I got Meizou. Not the guy I was aiming for, but I'm OK with it. After all, the other 3 are really unavailable anyway. :lol: On the other hand, Meizou is single and ready to mingle...with me! Come to think of it, I am an older woman, so I guess it was fate?LOL!

Does anyone remember how Shancai was wearing her towel on her head in the scene where she fainted in the sauna? What the hell? I couldn’t focus on DMS’ feelings in the scene because I was so embarrassed for her. Imagine two hot guys seeing you with that on your head.

426f0a0fda635bf4280928c1d1d72802.jpg

7 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

Does anyone remember how Shancai was wearing her towel on her head in the scene where she fainted in the sauna? What the hell? I couldn’t focus on DMS’ feelings in the scene because I was so embarrassed for her. Imagine two hot guys seeing you with that on your head.

426f0a0fda635bf4280928c1d1d72802.jpg

Isn't that half the story of star wars:a new hope lol

On 8/30/2018 at 10:27 AM, feliset said:

Me too!! I loved this. Just watched 44 last night, still need to watch 45. DS and SC dating dynamic is so cute. It was just so amazing to see how nice he was with everyone at his party even qinghe and lizhen. Seriously he’s come soooo far.

Im not totally convinced with the XM/XG story ending so XM/XY can live. I feel like there was still feelings there between XM/XG even if it was written for them to agree it was over. Also XG seems like the far superior choice lol. I found myself rooting for them more than XM/XY. XY has come off really weird and creepy in her Ximen quest. I’m not buying that her actions have made him slowly fall for her. 

I'm just at episode 44 guys.. delaying the inevitable haha

but ya agree w/ XM/XG/XY omg Xiaogeng is heartbreaking.. I like more in the BoF adaptation where Kim Bum's character's version of Xiaogeng falls in love with his brother (in a weird turn of events) so there is closure for the both of them in ways to move on..

XY/XM didn't get a chance to develop as thoroughly as the XM/XG storyline le sigh. Moving on! ha 

Oh My God... The Ending .. it's sooo ... Bizarre ..

I don't get it at all

Can they just stop until hunger strike?

Even it's better on MG2001 even though I'm really satisfy with the ending

I have to say the japan version is the best ending from all

10 hours ago, mouse007 said:

@rocky689 same! I also liked that there was much more of DS and SC just having dates and doing mundane things together like studying together, eating together and even supporting their friends together like whenever they kept XY company during karaoke. 

I also liked that there were a lot of displays of affection between them like forehead kisses, holding hands, hugging and even when they were with their friends, they were sitting together with one of them leaning on the other. I know a lot of us hoped for more passionate kisses but we also have to remember there were more of these other forms of affection than the other versions. 

yes!! that’s why people would say that the Daomingsi & Shancai in this 2018 version is the sweetest and the most in love compare to all the previous adaptations., they have a lot of sweet scenes and even the smallest sweet gestures from them looks so natural that’s why their chemistry is so palpable :wub:

regardless of its flaw which all the other previous versions have too, I so love this Meteor Garden 2018 the most than all the previous adaptations because we could really see clearly the love between CaiSi and their character development here :wub:

Shancai's nickname for her BF suits him well, LOL. Look at this cute "Dog" with his "Owner" in the shower!

Rl9qu1u.gif

This scene had me rolling so hard :joy: :joy: :joy:

u0kRViZ.gif

What happened to Lei's face here, he looks hella creepy and unnatural? Is this a "superman mustache" fail or did they try to shop him into this particular frame (his body does seem to move around the frame like it was shopped in to it)? 

DOJyHYe.gif

Archived