Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

4 minutes ago, rocky689 said:

He was saying it in a joking way. In an earlier interview he said his first impression of her, he couldn't remember to tease her. She actually has a lot of haters who bash her for her looks online in China. Their all say she doesn't have a memorable looking face, like you'd meet her, but pass her by on the street, because it's so ordinary. He seems to really like to tease her about that.

Wait, then all the girls in the road in china looks as pretty as SY that its almost ordinary???  Well colour me surprised, i didn't know China has only beautiful women walking in the roads. I can't believe this, she is hella pretty and adorable to my eyes. I don't know what richard simmons these people are talking about. 

• Like 4

@rocky689 poor SY.. I think she's super cute and I'm surprised people would call her ordinary. Maybe just jealous that she's been cast with very handsome guys so there's a lot of bashing going on. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Wait, then all the girls in the road in china looks as pretty as SY that its almost ordinary???  Well colour me surprised, i didn't know China has only beautiful women walking in the roads. I can't believe this, she is hella pretty and adorable to my eyes. I don't know what richard simmons these people are talking about. 

8 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

@rocky689 poor SY.. I think she's super cute and I'm surprised people would call her ordinary. Maybe just jealous that she's been cast with very handsome guys so there's a lot of bashing going on. 

Yea, I find her very cute, but I guess it's just more what they are conditioned to seeing from their actresses. Like she wouldn't fit into historical or fantasy roles, but I think she's perfect for these modern idol dramas.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rocat said:

@myinnerbattles

in the video, the group is being interviewed for their musical. Their responses are short and a little awkward. It must have been an impromptu one because they weren’t prepared and gave one line answers that trail off hoping some other would continue. They were very polite and careful with what they said to not offend anyone.

in the last bit, they were asked to summarize what they thought of each other..and give each one a label.

Dylan was the tiger of the group, being the cool cat and the noisiest; also one who deserves to be beat up most.

Ceasar was the mouse (? if I got it right haha), makes himself look good particularly to the opposite sex.

Darren was the silly one, often sleeps and hardly knows what’s is going on.

the last two were the ones totally out of it and don’t know this from that with Connor being the giraffe of the group and Yue being the cutie pie.

but what had me grinning was Dylan’s first impression of Yue - he said he found her pretty and went on a short rant about how on earth was it possible to have a girl so beautiful. 

Such a sweet talker...

I thought it was super cute that they were standing so close to one another. They seem to genuinely like each other’s company which is nice. However they seem disappointed with their performance in the musical.. and also tired/did not seem keen to talk about the musical. Poor puppies! I thought they did well especially given how green they are. 

• Like 5

It's eerily quiet in here considering MG is ending this week.. are ya'll waiting to watch until all 4 episodes are available on NF? LOL

• Like 2

me still stuck at ep 30.. haven't moved forward.. how are they treating my lei.. did baby cry a lot?

Not being mean, but even i think she is quite ordinary to look at..

i don't know how much generalization can be done, but when i look at chinese girls at restaurants, buses.. just wherever.. damn! they are pretty.. too too too pretty

i think china and this iran-afghan-pakistan-kashmir muslim belt. are two places full of beauty.. like every girl is pretty.. specially the original muslims.. both men and women.. drop dead gorgeous

5 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

me still stuck at ep 30.. haven't moved forward.. how are they treating my lei.. did baby cry a lot?

lol 

It is hard to move past the next episodes when you're a Lei shipper. le sigh. our poor baby.

On another note

I balled my eyes out at Ep 41. OMG guys I had  just put on eye cream AND a puffy panda eye mask and proceeded to ugly cry during the hot pot scene. I knew it was coming from the comments on here BUT I didn't realize how hard it would hit me even AFTER I knew it was coming. 

Lei, I keep being torn by him. Is he acting, is he playing, is it a ruse to get DMS and SC together? In BoF JiHoo was like a sad puppy through and through even at the end. You really feel for him. The tables turned for me again and I feel the same is happening to Lei's character. I think he's just resigned to love SC from afar. He silently loves Jing for decades so what's another few decades for SC. I think before I felt like he loved loved her, then I felt like he loved her but not in that way and now it's back to loving her in that way. Either way my heart breaks for him every time SC chooses DMS. Don't get me wrong, that is the OTP but still can't help but feel sadness for Lei. He's so expressive in the eyes!

21 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

I was really annoyed when SC didn’t reply to the ‘i love you’ in the tent too. I mean, come on! It’s so rude. He’s doing everything he can to be with you and you’re still refusing to be open with him. 

I also felt that they could do something with XZ and Lei. It was more from the scene at the hospital where XZ was with F3 and Lei was talking about Jing. I felt that XZ was starting to understand Lei. Also, since she’s supposed to be like the female version of DMS, she would be perfect for Lei. You can imagine her being all hyper and Lei calming her down. Also, she has been such a good friend and she deserves someone who won’t let her down, and Lei is nothing if not the BEST GUY IN THE WORLD (except for DMS. Joint equal. Sometimes. My feelings can be swayed, haha)

I’m hoping the special episode will be like the special episode in ALSB. Like just an hour of them being together. I’d be happy with that. But I’d be EVEN happier with a ten years later sort of thing. Please, please, pretty please! 

I’ve been rewatching ALSB and I gotta say, now that I’ve seen and can appreciate the force of nature that is Dylan Wang, it’s like Hu Yitian (who I used to think was really hot) is really meh now, haha. The bar has been reset. And it’s way too high now, haha. 

I also agree, think XZ and Lei would work great if XZ is supposed to be the female version of DMS. I mean, the DMS and Lei bromance is truly the best lol. I love love that this friendship was explored more. I mean, in BoF, the friendship between Ximen and Meizou characters are the one that was explored a bit more. But I think XZ deserves to be doted on and Lei would be perfect. Finally he could have a girl who loves him back (if it can play as a reflection of DMS + SC relationship). 

Ha Hu Yitian character in ALSB is the equivalent of SC now. I haven't gotten to the island episode yet, but I'd be sad too that at THIS point SC is still hesitant to say ILY even if she is supposed to be demure and stuff. Cut the crap! haha I've only watched 7 Chinese dramas and they all either star Dilreba or Shen Yue ha. Ten Miles a Peach blossom her character is overly in love w/ Dong Hua character. Obsessed with Bo Hai in Sweet Dreams. So, sometimes the female leads just gotta go after her man! Wish SC would take just a small initiative haha I'm just confused because sometimes she does (like the tie scene) and sometimes she gives a sad peck on the cheek. boo to that. 

I've watched ALSB so many times, really wish they focused a bit more on their adult lives too, because you really shouldn't base your love on adolescent love and I really wanted to see how their love evolved and grew over time. But anyways, it's been beautiful to see how DMS has changed over time from the love given by SC. Even though as a viewer watching it can be soo frustrating haha 

• Like 3

he he..

Lei and DMS work because, the one thing DMS gives lei which none of the woman do is the sense how much he needs him

Lei gives off this weak fragile look that women want to protect him.. but then poor child falls in love with them and these women are strong enough to not need any man.. but worse they make Lei feel he is not needed..

Unlike other boys, what lei can give is his care.. that's his strength..

so yea DMS should be his girlfriend, throwing tantrums and asking him to take care of him :P

I will become a director, get rights to this drama, and turn this manga into a BL.. for sure!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

It just occurred to me that SY chased Hu Yituan in ALSB for like 18+ episodes or something like that. She probably got tired and so she made DS chase after her in MG. Lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

i'm getting anxious... i'm not ready to part with this drama yet. my mother is even crazier than me, she's seriously replaying episodes on Netflix like EVERY SINGLE DAY lol 

and we both ship DyShen so hard, although we know it's just gonna break our hearts haha 

btw, i'm upset that many chinese netizens bash SY and the drama, i'm not very familiar with entertainment culture in china, but i really don't get why MG2018 is getting so much hate and so little support... 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, myinnerbattles said:

i'm getting anxious... i'm not ready to part with this drama yet. my mother is even crazier than me, she's seriously replaying episodes on Netflix like EVERY SINGLE DAY lol 

and we both ship DyShen so hard, although we know it's just gonna break our hearts haha 

btw, i'm upset that many chinese netizens bash SY and the drama, i'm not very familiar with entertainment culture in china, but i really don't get why MG2018 is getting so much hate and so little support... 

Yes, I was very pissed off by the initial response to this drama in China. Most people saw the first episode, could not accept the changes and the drama ended up getting a score of 2.8 out of 10 on a popular drama ratings site. News outlets picked it up and kept spreading news about how everyone thought it was so bad which probably contributed to a lot of people not even giving it a chance. I was also surprised it did not get a primetime slot for a much anticipated idol drama on HunanTV, but then again it might not have been too anticipated since Shen Yue is not at the level to hard carry ratings and the four guys are unknowns. Primetime went to Dilireba's Sweet Dreams followed by Luhan's Sweet Combat which are much more guaranteed ratings winners based on the sizes of their fanbase. Also summer is very competitive, there's at least 3 or 4 really big budget dramas airing at the same time with strong casts. I think word of mouth is helping its appeal internationally though, just hoping it will reach a point where news of its international success will make more people in China give this drama another chance. 

At least there is full on acknowledgement and support from the manga author

• Like 8

@rocky689 I don’t think it’s fair that people saw 1 episode and immediately judged it based on what they saw. I was suprised when I saw the rating and now I understand why it was low. It was because of those people who didn’t even give it a chance. So upsetting. 

Im happy though that more and more people seems to be liking it. 

• Like 2

I’m watching episode 46

Spoiler

And OMG the rose scene. Sweetness overload! *faints*

I had to hold my cheeks to stop smiling so much! 

Everything is going well. A little too well. I’m scared!!

it was all puppies and rainbows and I LOVED it. 

But, argh! Bollocks. Having looked at next week’s teaser, everything isn’t great anymore. :cry: But maybe this is part of DMS’ secret plan??? 

Edited by cantbreathe
Finished episode!
  • Like 3

Also, can we confirm that Xiayou just cut her hair and it turned out that it made her look exactly like Ximen's lost love? Or was that on purpose?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

I’m watching episode 46

Reveal hidden contents

And OMG the rose scene. Sweetness overload! *faints*

I had to hold my cheeks to stop smiling so much! 

Everything is going well. A little too well. I’m scared!!

it was all puppies and rainbows and I LOVED it. 

But, argh! Bollocks. Having looked at next week’s teaser, everything isn’t great anymore. :cry: But maybe this is part of DMS’ secret plan??? 

It’s out? 

Will go hunt for it later today. Thanks!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mouse007 said:

It's eerily quiet in here considering MG is ending this week.. are ya'll waiting to watch until all 4 episodes are available on NF? LOL

I am waiting for the NF episodes and trying not to watch any of the videos. However, I will chime in with some random thoughts about the show in general:

1. SY is a great actress for many reasons, but especially for making us believe she did not enjoy kissing Dylan in those first 10 episodes, lol. That must have been a tough challenge for real.

2. One of the reasons why I like the show is because SC is a strong female lead. She doesn't put up with DMS bullying and she has a strong sense of social justice. And, I appreciate that he only falls in love with a woman who is strong and that his attraction is largely based on respect. He can't respect the girls that fawn over him. But, this is why the love scenes seem so strange to me after the necktie pulling scene. She's a strong, modern woman that wants equality and yet after that scene she is not into the kisses and can't seem to say ILY. It's very strange, at least to this American viewer. And, it's not like she even has to worry about him reciprocating her feelings because he has been more than clear that he loves her.

3. They really make Dylan look mature in the show because every photo of him not in the show really looks like a teen. 

4. I was really happy when he finally said he would be fine on his own since he made his first million when he was 18. I get that he has expectations to take over the business, but it isn't like he is without options here to make money.

5. I really don't know what I am going to do when this show is over!? Watch all the previous versions? Wait until this cast has new projects to watch?

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, bccem99 said:

I am waiting for the NF episodes and trying not to watch any of the videos. However, I will chime in with some random thoughts about the show in general:

1. SY is a great actress for many reasons, but especially for making us believe she did not enjoy kissing Dylan in those first 10 episodes, lol. That must have been a tough challenge for real.

2. One of the reasons why I like the show is because SC is a strong female lead. She doesn't put up with DMS bullying and she has a strong sense of social justice. And, I appreciate that he only falls in love with a woman who is strong and that his attraction is largely based on respect. He can't respect the girls that fawn over him. But, this is why the love scenes seem so strange to me after the necktie pulling scene. She's a strong, modern woman that wants equality and yet after that scene she is not into the kisses and can't seem to say ILY. It's very strange, at least to this American viewer. And, it's not like she even has to worry about him reciprocating her feelings because he has been more than clear that he loves her.

3. They really make Dylan look mature in the show because every photo of him not in the show really looks like a teen. 

4. I was really happy when he finally said he would be fine on his own since he made his first million when he was 18. I get that he has expectations to take over the business, but it isn't like he is without options here to make money.

5. I really don't know what I am going to do when this show is over!? Watch all the previous versions? Wait until this cast has new projects to watch?

Dylan is such a hip hop baby, it's fun seeing how different he normally looks from DMS. 

Great points, one of my favorite parts about this version is the memorable dialogue. There are so many parts that people have been quoting and I feel it's like a lot of other cdramas I watch where you come away with nuggets of wisdom that's relevant to everyone's lives.

• Like 4

Sc and everybody to daoming si half the show « you cant get into Sc world  » ! « We live in two different worlds » « its too hard for you to understand » 

Spoiler

Si: watch me xD

• Like 4

On 8/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, mouse007 said:

@Table122000 lol I was also frustrated with the “kiss” SC gave DS. I mean c’mon, the guy is as hot as heck and he’s literally done everything for her. I wouldn’t even be waiting to be asked for a kiss! I’d be grabbing him with both hands and kissing him like crazy (not to mention taking it to the next level! Hehehehehe)

LOL! Yeah, it's hard to believe Shan Cai is still holding back at this late stage in the relationship. And kind of ridiculous when you think about it really. In the real world, those 2 young people would be all over each other! :lol:

On 8/26/2018 at 3:23 PM, rimjayc said:

Guys i think maybe its a chinese cultural thing ? 

The femals are never that expressive when it comes to romance and sharring feelings with their SO ( especialy on dramas and fictions ) the hardest to get she seems the better ? 

Doesnt make sense to me lol 

( especialy how yow the leads can be ... i would be all around him too ! Showing him how mush i apreciat his love and efforts ... bcuz doaming si really did his best till now)

but it seems like a theme thats going on since forever in the chinese/tw dramas

———————

also can i dare to ask for more jealous/possessive ximen ?????? 

I know we have more drama coming with his first love and XY 

but i wanna see him on that state again 

ceasar stares , and acts on that scene were hot and atractive ( and he wasnt even sure really ... he just acted out of instinct and protectivness for XY)

Oh, Yes Please to more jealous Ximen!

On 8/26/2018 at 3:23 PM, cantbreathe said:

I was really annoyed when SC didn’t reply to the ‘i love you’ in the tent too. I mean, come on! It’s so rude. He’s doing everything he can to be with you and you’re still refusing to be open with him. 

I also felt that they could do something with XZ and Lei. It was more from the scene at the hospital where XZ was with F3 and Lei was talking about Jing. I felt that XZ was starting to understand Lei. Also, since she’s supposed to be like the female version of DMS, she would be perfect for Lei. You can imagine her being all hyper and Lei calming her down. Also, she has been such a good friend and she deserves someone who won’t let her down, and Lei is nothing if not the BEST GUY IN THE WORLD (except for DMS. Joint equal. Sometimes. My feelings can be swayed, haha)

I’m hoping the special episode will be like the special episode in ALSB. Like just an hour of them being together. I’d be happy with that. But I’d be EVEN happier with a ten years later sort of thing. Please, please, pretty please! 

I’ve been rewatching ALSB and I gotta say, now that I’ve seen and can appreciate the force of nature that is Dylan Wang, it’s like Hu Yitian (who I used to think was really hot) is really meh now, haha. The bar has been reset. And it’s way too high now, haha. 

Totally agree on the not returning the " I love you". That really bothers me, especially this late into the drama. It would be great if Lei and Xiao Zi got together at the end. Good point about her being a female DS, so they really could be a match!

On 8/26/2018 at 4:13 PM, rocky689 said:

It's not a cultural thing, there are plenty of dramas that are not like this. It might be a problem with idol drama vs adult drama though.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:41 PM, rimjayc said:

Its not ? xD

i really cant recall a ch/tw drama where the girl is as vocal about her feelings/lust as the boy (comedy apart)

also in the original manga sc start being more close and open than in this version 

( she touches him and reaches to him first ! And talk about her feelings too)

but hey if its not cultural ! Then my bad 

still annoying (and not fair for doaming si really)

I would say that part of it is probably cultural, but there are plenty of Chinese dramas that have better kiss scenes.  I don't mind a "sweeter" kiss scene as long as it is DONE WELL. The problem is so many of these love scenes are not done well. 

On 8/26/2018 at 6:49 PM, rocat said:

Lols. Love all of your rxns! 

If we are frustrated watching SC being ultra modest with Si, can you imagine how he must be boiling over inside?

I couldn’t believe she kissed him goodbye on the cheek either. Too chaste.

While it is a cultural thing to behave well and mind manners, it is rather odd for her to do that with the boyfriend cos it seemed like she never really reciprocated his feelings. It felt unsure. After so long too. It was incredulous and I wanted something/someone to kick some sense into her. SC is kinda passive here and when she actually says something important she gets all shouty like during the amnesia part in the hospital. Sigh. 

Hopefully she’d get better in the last part. 

You make a good point. Yes! I totally agree. This coy behavior did not ring true for Shan Cai character at this late stage in their relationship. Frankly, you are right in that when you are in love with your partner, you want to touch them, hold hands, kiss, etc.  To be fair, I would have been OK with a kiss on the cheek for that scene( as unbelievable as that may have been) but the problem for me was she did not even kiss his cheek! It was barely a graze of her lips-it looked like her lips didn't even touch him- air kiss, you know?  If this scene had happened at the beginning of their relationship, it would have made a bit more sense, but not coming here at the end. It did seem weird.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:27 PM, insertusernamehere said:

well all the cultures you mentioned are conservative, so I wouldn't be surprised if the directing of these (TERRIBLE) kisses across c/j/kdramas was intentional. Growing up in Southeast Asia and studying abroad/working in East Asia, I'd say that women in these countries are generally not at all encouraged to openly enjoy intimacy. To be fair, in real life, Asian young adults don't always act so frustratingly chaste like in the dramas, and we've definitely seen improvement when kdramas go cable, escaping possibly conservative restriction of public network TV (i.e. tvn dramas have much better/realistic kisses, for example). I would also say that a lot of my male Asian friends/ex-bfs are terrible at kissing, most likely because their gfs never tell them that they were bad (or when they were good, since they're not supposed to you know, enjoy/not enjoy it). I finished What's wrong with Secretary Kim around the time that I started MG, and really wished Park Seo Joon could just hold a Master Class in kissing for Didi :| (and Park Min Young for YueYue).

Thanks for your insight into the cultural viewpoint about women's sexuality in Asian countries. I have often wondered if perhaps there was an attitude of "nice girls don't" (enjoy sex/kissing) in that part of the world.It is very sad for me to see that type of attitude is still present. I am encouraged when you say that this attitude may be changing, and that the younger women are embracing their right to sexual expression and freedom, without fear of stigma.  

And, Yes Please to an Acting Master Class on kissing by Park Min Young and Park So Joon! I think all the  Chinese actors and actresses would benefit for sure!

On 8/26/2018 at 9:32 PM, bccem99 said:

Is it a cultural thing to talk about getting married so young? Unless I have this wrong, DMS should be 22-23 and SC 20 or at the most 21 - but she is not done with school. Seems very young for elite, college-educated people.

I don't know if it is a cultural thing or not. To me the marriage talk came straight as part of teen romance tropes, and I think it is a device used in many shojo manga, teen dramas, teen books. Teenage girls often fantasize about getting married and what their own wedding will be like, and I think these teen books and dramas will often capitalize on that by having their characters get engaged, married, have weddings. Also, to a 12, 13, 14 year old girl Characters who are 20, 21, 22 years old seem quite mature and adult like, so not an issue when they get married.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1