[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, viktormani said:

Is it just me or is Dylan Wang like a mix between Darren Wang and Shawn Dou? 

Oh yessss I thought I was the only one who saw the resemblance between him and Darren Wang. I was going thru Pinterest and saw a photo of Darren Wang which I legit thought was Dylan Wang at first sight. LOL. Dunno about Shawn dou though. 

2 hours ago, viktormani said:

Darren Wang is a sexy beast in whole other level, but I can see the similarity between him and Dylan. Not sure about Shawn Dou too because Dylan is younger and his eyes are bigger? Though all are handsome in their own ways. Okay going to ep 7, Lin Zhen is really not nice to exposed ShanCai even though she was jealous of her. Lin Zhen is like those girls that likes to blame others and not see her fault. Of course she is invited to Jing's birthday only because Shancai is invited. In real life, is like that too. She just need to mind her own business. I dont feel sorry for her. Also, do professor in Chinese uni get involved with their students social life drama? I just find it interesting how the professor have Shancai explained to the class what happened between her and Linzhen?? DMS confession to her is so childish yet cute. I feel like a mom watching her kids made up.

MUST RESIST WATCHING THE RAWS. MUST RESIST WATCHING IT LIVE. GAHHHHHHHHH. I only need to get through today without spoiling myself too much. Even when I watch other dramas to distract myself, I keep thinking of Si. Sighhhhh. I'm so doomed. 

@rosierosie Thought Li zhen's arc was pretty relatable in this version. They didn't make her to be a evil manipulative bi*ch like in other versions. It's human nature to feel jealous, what she did was absolutely not acceptable, but I'm saying that I can understand her. It was a spur of a moment weakness that she released those pics online. She was not planning for a long time to do it. Anyways I guess I'm just glad that Shan Cai was able to forgive and mend their friendship. It just goes to prove how much big of a person she is and why a guy like Si would fall her. 

4 hours ago, kokodus said:

MUST RESIST WATCHING THE RAWS. MUST RESIST WATCHING IT LIVE. GAHHHHHHHHH. I only need to get through today without spoiling myself too much. Even when I watch other dramas to distract myself, I keep thinking of Si. Sighhhhh. I'm so doomed. 

Aren’t you glad this is 48 eps long?  You’ll have so many hours to admire Dylan and Dao Ming Si. And to think he had planned on becoming a flight attendant before getting into acting lol. He’s going to become so popular after this drama is over. 

47 minutes ago, lan_lan said:

Aren’t you glad this is 48 eps long?  You’ll have so many hours to admire Dylan and Dao Ming Si. And to think he had planned on becoming a flight attendant before getting into acting lol. He’s going to become so popular after this drama is over. 

Weirdly, Netflix has only listed 38 eps. Sighhh. Are there huge changes between the TV version and the web version in relation to the length of the eps??? If he was a flight attendant, I will happily go around the world with him. LOL. No this is bad, I'm getting cheesy. Someone slap me hard. 

@kokodus Netflix is only behind by around 5-10 minutes.  So for example, episode 14 ended when Shancai was talking to the little boy.  Whereas the TV airing of ep 14 ended a few minutes after that when she brought him along to the zoo to meet Daoming Si.  Netflix will update the episode count as they go because last week they had only listed up to 30 eps.    

F4 x Louis Vuitton

I saw this interview where Dylan mentioned that he treats SY like his bro but later said that maybe it’s bc he doesn’t have a lot of experience with girls so he treats them like his buddies! I know its bad to ship but they are quite flirtatious and comfortable around each other during the bts :wub:

@joowonie Have you watched all the compilation videos of them during BTS?  They're totally shipable!  When I watch this drama now I can always feel in "playing around/cute scenes" that it's actually them having fun and not them playing the characters.  Shancai was asked how much was ad-libbed between them and she said not so much with dialogues but definitely in actions, especially when they're pushing each other around lol.  You can totally see a lot of that in episode 16.

@lan_lan You know, it maybe 5-10 mins now, but if they keep this on, over a period of time, there will be more gap and even difference in the ep numbers. Sigh. What can we do??? I really want 45 mins of 48 eps. The more, the better because as you can tell I can't get enough of Si, the puppy. Lol. 

@joowonieI have seen all their bts videos as well. They seem like they were having so much fun while filming. It's really cute seeing them wrestling and fighting it out. LOL. Such an odd couple they are. Not to be a spoilsport and I don't believe it either, but there are some rumors saying that she and Connor or dating...sigh. I refrain from hardcore shipping of real life people, so it doesn't matter who she is dating, as long as Shan Cai ends up with Dao Ming Si in my fictional meteor garden world. Eeeeeeee

@kokodus Let's hope we will get 48 eps of 45 minutes but we'll see.  I prefer how Netflix's version is evenly divided.  The TV version has been really inconsistent.  Some of the more recent episodes have been only 35 minutes of actual new footage while the first 5-7 minutes were full replay of the previous episode, not including the opening and closing credits.  This could be a way for both versions to end up at the same point.  

1 hour ago, lan_lan said:

@joowonie Have you watched all the compilation videos of them during BTS?  They're totally shipable!  When I watch this drama now I can always feel in "playing around/cute scenes" that it's actually them having fun and not them playing the characters.  Shancai was asked how much was ad-libbed between them and she said not so much with dialogues but definitely in actions, especially when they're pushing each other around lol.  You can totally see a lot of that in episode 16.

I have watched all of them! Haha that’s why it’s a bit shocking to me to hear some fans claiming that she’s dating Conor. He’s super adorable & it’s her business of course but DW and her are just soo cute with the teasing & bickering! Opposites attract! 

I was 10 when I got addicted to this Asian drama that started it all. 15 years later, I found myself in the same spot, giggling like a kid who has seen her first love whilst watching this remake. 

I've watched all the versions of this series/story, from anime, first live-action (Taiwanese Meteor Garden), Japanese adaptation (HYD), Korean (BOF) to Let's Go Watch Meteor Shower (the Chinese unlicensed drama prod), and so far, I'm really loving this 2018 adaptation.

Spoiler

Some elements are changed to fit in with the storyline of this particular version. I really like fact that the F4 guys are actually geniuses who gained the respect of people and are popular because of their abilities, not just because they're the wealthiest students.

I guess it really just boils down with personal preferences because as much as I'd like for this version to stay faithful with the original, I don't really like the bullying part/scenes of the other versions, including those scenes that are borderline harassment. 

When I watched the other versions at a young age, I don't really mind them at that time, but now that I have come off to a better understanding of the society, it knocked off some sense to me and those kind of scenarios really do make me uncomfortable. 

I've seen and read a lot of comparisons between the actors/actresses and I must say they have their own strengths and weaknesses.

For instance, Dylan Wang portrayed a really childish and short-tempered Ah-Si/Domyouji. Admittedly, I was skeptical at first if he'd be able to pull off the main lead's character. There are a few scenes where the acting is a lil bit off-putting but then again, considering this is his first drama, he's doing really well. And don't get me started with his stares! Man, I don't know how Shen Yue is still alive after their scenes together lol. I can barely even breathe when he's on the screen and giving her the intense gazes and stares. He's legit giving me heart-attack and I'm ending up helplessly in love with him. His existence should be illegal!

Anyway, Darren as Hua Ze Lei is so cute, giving off that pretty/good boy vibes. Though not as mysterious as Vic/Shun Oguri, him being a silent type of person is just okay for me. Meanwhile, Connor and Ceasar are doing alright with their bromance scenes at the later episodes. 

Shancai in this version though is kinda nosy, annoying and had tendencies to be weak. Idk if that's because the storyline calls for it, so that Dao Ming Si could show how a supportive guy he is (dude, I don't remember JunPyo, Tsukasa and Taiwanese Ah Si being supportive like that) to Shancai but then again, where is my badass female lead?! Nonetheless, Shen Yue is too cute for my sanity. She's a perfect match with Dylan Wang. To be honest, this is the first time I actually shipped Dao Ming Si and Shancai because in all previous versions, I really like Lei and her to be the end game. I got a major second-lead syndrome for the longest time, not until this remake.  So to those who have Lei-Shancai as their OTP,  just a soft warning that you might swerve lanes. 

Anyway, these are just my random musings after watching (and re-watching!) the first 14 episodes in raw and with English subtitles. Oh, the agony of waiting. Makes me regret that I didn't take Mandarin class back in my school days. 

PS. I shipped the Yue and Dylan so hard rn, I'm dying.

PPS. I think there's a rumor that Yue and Connor are dating because they're being seen together? Though they're actually just filming for a new drama. I forgot the title but definitely they have a project together. 

What is this Si puppy doing, really??? Is this how you confess??? To yourself?? Tsk tsk. And the fact that he was too proud of himself after making that silent confession is making me want to go and knock his head. I'm sure Zhuang jie would do the same. LOL. You know at first I thought she didn't really hear it because of the noise, but replaying it again proved that he did really said it to himself carefully so that she won't hear it. This boy, really.....AISHHHHHHHHH. He is so cute that I don't even have the heart to beat him up. Poor F4 boys though, they are really trying very hard to push these two idiots together.... LOL. 

@indierock Oh man yeah those stares of him makes my knees go weak. Seriously. 

I don't think the Shan cai here is weak. Yeah she can't compare to the Makino played by Inoue Mao, but she is not as weak as Jan Di either. She found the middle ground between those two and I like that. LOL. Also she has an excellent chemistry with Dylan Wang, whenever they are together I chuckle and giggle like crazy. LOL. I agree that Ah Si here is way too supportive of Shan Cai than his counterparts in other versions. And that makes him too adorable. He is like the cutest cupcake I've ever seen. Gahhhhhhhhhh. 

On 7/24/2018 at 5:36 AM, rosierosie said:

On 7/24/2018 at 2:37 AM, viktormani said:

Spoiler

Is Darren the lead of The Wolf thats supposed to come out soon? Super excited for that.

4 hours ago, kokodus said:

What is this Si puppy doing, really??? Is this how you confess??? To yourself?? Tsk tsk. And the fact that he was too proud of himself after making that silent confession is making me want to go and knock his head. I'm sure Zhuang jie would do the same. LOL. You know at first I thought she didn't really hear it because of the noise, but replaying it again proved that he did really said it to himself carefully so that she won't hear it. This boy, really.....AISHHHHHHHHH. He is so cute that I don't even have the heart to beat him up. Poor F4 boys though, they are really trying very hard to push these two idiots together.... LOL. 

Right?!  He was yelling right before that so I totally thought he would yell "I like you", but then he went and spoke all softly.  I face palmed.  It's cute that he's shy in vocalizing his feelings for her and he does make up for it with plenty of actions. It's a shame Shencai is so dense at the moment lol.

27 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Hide contents

Is Darren the lead of The Wolf thats supposed to come out soon? Super excited for that.

yes he is!! me too!! Super excited for his drama. This is the one with the princess girl that likes Yunxi from PA.

Archived