[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

You should read the manga version about Ximen, there's a short story about Ximen aka Nishikado and his past with Xi Geng aka Sara.

I almost root for them if there's no Xiao Yo aka Yuki. Even SC can understand why Ximen loves XG.

I really like XY chars in manga, but as you said, bad writing that makes we can't see how the chars develop. They to much focus on DS and SC (I'm not really complaint about this though :D) but for other chars the story is bad.

Sorry, I just re-read the manga so the feeling still there. I should have read the manga after finish the MG version so I don't bias :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching ep 44 with subs and wanted to make a comment on Xiaogeng and Caina's storylines. I think the reason why Caina's story was "not liked" by many viewers and basically skipped mostly is that her story was so "invasive", to the point it brought in a completely random guy (who, basically, became the main lead) that the viewers wasn't introduced to slowly. By invasive, I mean also that her story took about 2, 3 eps to cover and in those eps, it felt like she needed a drama series on its own (not part of MG). Her story even made Mei Zuo, a sidekick, not the main lead in her story. And, Shancai and Daomin Si basically had less than 10mins of screen time in those eps (at least it felt like that to me). On the other hand, Xiaogeng was introduced slowly and her story wasn't invading the whole drama plot-line. I even felt sad for her even though I was happy for Ximen and Xiaoyou. I didn't have to skip her parts. Her storyline felt beautiful and sad at the same time. 

Anyways, I'm just being random here...when I was watching this scene, I wanted to run my fingers through his hair and play with it soo bad (if it was possible through the screen), lol.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Also, look at these long legs...I mean...HELLO :love: :love: :love:?!?!

nkHAMwI.png

@savingemily Every time I watch their kiss scene making or just the kiss scenes, I feel like Shen Yue is his first kiss in real life. I mean, he seems like he doesn't know how to really kiss  (like he doesn't exactly know what to do with the other person's lips), even though he tries to make it look like he does. Again, it's just my thought tho, because their kiss scenes are cute but somewhat awkward at the same time. Sometimes SY's motionless lips doesn't help either. For me, the MOST cringe worthy kiss is this one...like REALLY??? Her lips barely touched his cheek.

0mBquYC.gif

The only possible explanation I could come up with is that she thought the camera angle was not going to show her lips, so she did the "pretend kiss" thing. I think the editors should've just used the first shot of frames instead of the next one.

I’m still actually hoping for a special episode of Meteor Garden :tears: 

There are bts that we have seen that we wish will include in meteor garden so hopefully it will be in a special episode. I’ve read in twitter that maybe this coming september there will be one

3 hours ago, ilu2 said:

For me, the MOST cringe worthy kiss is this one...like REALLY??? Her lips barely touched his cheek.

OMG, I 100% agree with you. I mean, there a real hot guy wants a kiss from you and you just give him a light kiss?!

If I am the PD I'll say NG and SY has to retake.

I think it's only in the teaser but they didn't put it in drama. The outfit seems like SC dream when she dream she in a wedding and come the groom but she can't see it. Although we all know looking at the silhouette that it must be DS. I can't remember when is it though. Is it when SC lost in the snow storm and DS coming to save her?

2 minutes ago, parksooha said:

I think it's only in the teaser but they didn't put it in drama. The outfit seems like SC dream when she dream she in a wedding and come the groom but she can't see it. Although we all know looking at the silhouette that it must be DS. I can't remember when is it though. Is it when SC lost in the snow storm and DS coming to save her?

Yeah the setup is the same as the dream in the snowstorm but this particular scene wasnt there. This really would have made a better wedding...

OMG, This is so hilarious. Dylan doesn't realize that they pull a prank of him and he just act like usual. Applause for SY who can hold the laughter but not XY :joy:

Cute Cat Dylan is so adorable :wub:

Seems like It's Dylan birthday last year

I might not know better but isn’t the ending  the strangest one? It seemed like the ending was written by 10 different pple and spliced together. It’s so choppy I could get nauseous if not for the leads. It reminded me of a variety show with every character getting screen time and short snippets. 

Good thing it’s a happy ending with enough cute parts. But I still wonder why their wedding was such a small one in a crampy ballroom with only friends, and with DMZ performing and solemnizing?!

so odd. 

7 hours ago, ilu2 said:

@savingemily Every time I watch their kiss scene making or just the kiss scenes, I feel like Shen Yue is his first kiss in real life. I mean, he seems like he doesn't know how to really kiss  (like he doesn't exactly know what to do with the other person's lips), even though he tries to make it look like he does. Again, it's just my thought tho, because their kiss scenes are cute but somewhat awkward at the same time. Sometimes SY's motionless lips doesn't help either. For me, the MOST cringe worthy kiss is this one...like REALLY??? Her lips barely touched his cheek.

They said that SY is indeed his first kiss— on-screen that is. But who knows, maybe in real-life too lol. Which I don't mind either because I lowkey ship them like most of us here. 

I get your point too about kiss scenes being awkward. Perhaps it has something to do with the choice of the director/producer on what to include in post-production? I mean look at the wedding scene, there are outtakes where Shen Yue ACTUALLY KISSED HIM BACK (I'm not mad, I was just excited at that thought hahahahahaha) but they chose another one that is not too bad either.

I wonder how many scenes are like that... a really good take but they had to put the sloppy ones. On a side note— SY is definitely still lacking in that department. 

Re Dylan's kissing— SY said in an interview that he's really a good kisser. :wub:

OMG I feel like a byuntae talking about kiss scenes and analyzing them hahahaha! 

1 hour ago, rocat said:

I might not know better but isn’t the ending  the strangest one? It seemed like the ending was written by 10 different pple and spliced together. It’s so choppy I could get nauseous if not for the leads. It reminded me of a variety show with every character getting screen time and short snippets. 

Good thing it’s a happy ending with enough cute parts. But I still wonder why their wedding was such a small one in a crampy ballroom with only friends, and with DMZ performing and solemnizing?!

so odd. 

My sentiments exactly. There were so many flashbacks which felt repetitive and the wedding was weird... I suppose it was saved by the happy ending with some cute moments. 

Hi guys, new here. I was just wondering and I hope SOMEONE responds because netflix only posted the episodes only up to e47 in Europe, meaning there are 3 whole FINAL episodes out there and I HAVE NO ACCESS TO THEM :( :( :( :(

PLEASE does anyone know where I can watch them with English subtlitles?? 

I hate how everyone knows the ending and I dont :( :(

Please help me out. 

We got a happy ending and post wedding scenes although most of them included PPL but I am still grateful for that because I thought they would end it with just proposal/wedding. This version also gave closure for DMF character which I appreciate a lot. My only complains are C & T arc ,long screen time for flashbacks in last two episodes and was expecting the wedding to be more magnificent. But not everything can be perfect and there are lot of reasons why this version is best in it's own ways. Unlike other versions this version shows dms and sc dating like a normal couple which I craved a lot while watching other versions( all thanks to the long number of episodes and is faithful to manga expect for last few episodes). No other version has showed how great DMS love for SC is like this one. I love the part where he was helping sc's family in fishing village and called her mom mother and also assured her dad that he loves Shan Cai and is attracted to her because of her personality and values. I also like how they both came to a mutual decision( Although I agree her fasting was not really a big help but at least they didn't waver and were firm and no one was pushing anyone away)  in the end for once this shows that they both can manage and come to an agreement in future without involvement from third party like Lei who has always been helping them. 

I am also glad that this one didn't have ending like HanDan Japan movie version ( the best ending for a HanDan version ever where makino announces her pregnancy in the most cute way) trust me at first I wanted MG2018 to have ending like that and also wanted them to do the thing they were gonna do in 5 years real bad but that would taken away my hopes for having a MG movie version which Angie Chai told they were still considering about and I also want to see DyShen back together onscreen ( offscreen too well a girl can dream but still don't really have much hopes about that they are just my crackship as of now)

This is my most fav part in the whole wedding arc. That kiss on forehead was so pure and full of love:wub:

Hospital BTS  they are so cute:wub:

34 minutes ago, purplehaze91 said:

Hi guys, new here. I was just wondering and I hope SOMEONE responds because netflix only posted the episodes only up to e47 in Europe, meaning there are 3 whole FINAL episodes out there and I HAVE NO ACCESS TO THEM :(:(:(:(

PLEASE does anyone know where I can watch them with English subtlitles?? 

I hate how everyone knows the ending and I dont :(:(

Please help me out. 

Hi @purplehaze91

Netflix has exclusive worldwide rights to the MG2018 series, so the "other sites" all use the Netflix subs. I just checked my NF account, and the final episodes have been posted, so the english subs should be available at the other sites soon as well. If you have Netflix, I think you are OK.

I've seen up to 47. My thoughts on the last few episodes..

- XY/XM still doesn't feel right. The ex and building search storyline came from the manga but I don't remember thinking Yuki was as obsessive/creepy in the manga as I do now. I used to think XY was so cute but I don't like where they've taken her character. The way she asks for a gift then pouts when he said he didn't have one between fake smiling that she's happy just to be there with him. It makes it feel like she's always been putting on a mask when she says she's happy.

- I didn't mind SC's giving up and harsh words as much as I thought I would when I read the spoiler here. Mostly because DS could see through it so it didn't have the same effect as the first rainy breakup. They've come so far that there's so much mutual  confidence and reassurance in their love, I'm not worried anymore and looks like neither are they.

- The montage was really nice but he's lying when he says through all their hardships he never wavered in his love. Because that London breakup was all him lol. He gave up. He pushed her away and he broke up with her. The manga gave more excuse behind why he did it but in this series it really felt like he gave up. That's fine. I think it's realistic given their ages. There's just a lot of sloppy writing going on in these last episodes now that they've rewritten the story so much.

- DMF is a crazy b. They've made SC parents so much nicer and DMF so much meaner haha. Maybe because I haven't seen the point where she turns around yet but I think she's just TOO much. Who can be that heartless. I like that in the manga, she stayed cold but you could see the mother in her come out in the amnesia arc when she brings his old raggedy stuffed doll for comfort through his recovery, and she tells them she'll consider him dead for a year basically giving them a free year. Here she didn't even stay to see him wake up.. geez.

- I really didn't like Xiao Zi leading the gang to beg SC to give up on DS. I didn't like F3 doing it either but I understand they saw DS and were scared. He's their best friend after all. But XZ barely knows him and given her role in this entire ordeal, she had no place being there and begging SC through tears to give him up (basically to her even if she didn't say those words) As with XY/Yuki, I love XZ's manga counterpart much much more. Yes she had one sided love for Domyouji through to the end but I always felt that she valued her friendship with Makino much more.

- The teashop closing scene was cute. But I have to say I'm a little disappointed we didn't get a proper confession from Lei, one that didn't look like it was fabricated to get our main couple back together. His manga story is kind of tragic since he made it clear he loves Makino but he's happy to just stay on the sidelines as a friend and see her happy. Lei here just looks like another sidekick now, a step up from Meizuo and Ximen. I suppose it's implied that there's more to his feelings to SC because why would he follow her to London, and then there's that scene at the restaurant where he tells Thomas he likes her. But it was kind of written like he's teasing her? I'm not sure.. They also kept the friend/pet line, but in the manga he admits that was a lie to cover how he truly feels about her. I guess I was just seeking that heartfelt confession from him. It would make me feel more connected to his character.

I have soooo much work today. I hope I can watch 48/49 tonight but I also don't feel too rushed to see them because then that means the experience is over. :bawling:

5 minutes ago, anne2matthew said:

who is the lady at the end of meteor garden? It's so weird that she joined suddenly https://imgur.com/a/EoKwAbv

She is the producer of both MG 2018 and the original Meteor Garden that aired in 2001. That was basically the biggest tv show that swept across Asia at the time so people who watch 2018 version out of nostalgia all know her. The whole song sequence at the very end might also seem strange for people who have not seen the original, but that is also how they ended the original, with DS and SC meeting the singer of Qin Fei De Yi. It's funny how he's still singing in the streets 17 years later. Basically everyone knows how to sing that song, because it was so popular back in the day due MG's popularity. 

1 hour ago, Table122000 said:

Hi @purplehaze91

Netflix has exclusive worldwide rights to the MG2018 series, so the "other sites" all use the Netflix subs. I just checked my NF account, and the final episodes have been posted, so the english subs should be available at the other sites soon as well. If you have Netflix, I think you are OK.

Thanks for the response. I just checked my netflix and they just uploaded it. I was able to see up to episode 49.

Anyway, I'm from Europe and I must say that this series has had it's fair share of awkward moments for me. I don't know if it's the culture difference or just this particular series? Do you find it awkward?

Like - the way they kiss each other - no lip movement. How SC can faint so easily (when DS got stunned on London Bridge and she just fainted) but manage to stand days without food or water in the rain... And the whole wedding scene? SC fainted again and they somehow got her naked, changed her clothes and had a wedding without her parents. Oh and she never really agreed to marrying him, not even once did she say yes :D It's just all these small moments of awkwardness that add up and I always end up asking myself - how did I get so hung up on this series :D:D But I must confess I totally am in love with it :D

Archived