[Drama 2018] Devilish Joy, 마성의 기쁨

0ly40

2 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Hahaha. I don’t know if my commentaries on this kdrama will make it more fun to watch. All I can guarantee you is that I will KILL it. 

Happily. 

…because killing it is the only way I can stab and dissect each and every piece of it. :) It’s kinda like doing a postmortem on the show. Or an autopsy without the blood (I’m scared of blood).

One thing I forgot to mention in my last review: the reverse Cinderella story in the first episode.

Did you notice how in the first episode, especially before MaSung got hit by that truck, everything felt oddly familiar? 

It’s because he was running right before midnight -- like Cinderella was. All the elements of the Cinderella fairy tale had been previously laid out. 

For instance,

*A famous starlet but also much abused and overworked (she lost weight) = Cinderella, the true lady of the house, but abused by her stepmother and stepsisters

*Losing her shoe as they ran away from the gang = Cinderella losing her shoe as she flees the castle

*The red shoes that he bought and she put on = the glass slipper the Prince puts on Cinderella
*Singing and dancing in the middle of a crowd = the ballroom dance with the spectators watching Cinderella dance with Prince

*The staircase where they kissed = the grand staircase where Cinderella leaves her glass slipper

*The white truck of doom = Cinderella’s carriage turning into a pumpkin  
*The bell ringing the hour as he gets hit by the truck = the stroke of midnight and the lovely dream ends

See that?

The first episode had this fairy tale ambiance about it because we were unconsciously remembering scenes from another well-known fairy tale. That's why the first episode had this surreal feel. Like we've seen the story before. 

It was cleverly done, wasn't it? :D

Okay, got to finish watching My 100 Day Prince Ep 2 so I can write about it....

NICE! Never saw it - but insightful analogy.    :wub:

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Hahaha. I don’t know if my commentaries on this kdrama will make it more fun to watch. All I can guarantee you is that I will KILL it. 

Happily. 

…because killing it is the only way I can stab and dissect each and every piece of it. :) It’s kinda like doing a postmortem on the show. Or an autopsy without the blood (I’m scared of blood).

One thing I forgot to mention in my last review: the reverse Cinderella story in the first episode.

Spoiler

Did you notice how in the first episode, especially before MaSung got hit by that truck, everything felt oddly familiar? 

It’s because he was running right before midnight -- like Cinderella was. All the elements of the Cinderella fairy tale had been previously laid out. 

For instance,

*A famous starlet but also much abused and overworked (she lost weight) = Cinderella, the true lady of the house, but abused by her stepmother and stepsisters

*Losing her shoe as they ran away from the gang = Cinderella losing her shoe as she flees the castle

*The red shoes that he bought and she put on = the glass slipper the Prince puts on Cinderella
*Singing and dancing in the middle of a crowd = the ballroom dance with the spectators watching Cinderella dance with Prince

*The staircase where they kissed = the grand staircase where Cinderella leaves her glass slipper

*The white truck of doom = Cinderella’s carriage turning into a pumpkin  
*The bell ringing the hour as he gets hit by the truck = the stroke of midnight and the lovely dream ends

See that?

The first episode had this fairy tale ambiance about it because we were unconsciously remembering scenes from another well-known fairy tale. That's why the first episode had this surreal feel. Like we've seen the story before. 

It was cleverly done, wasn't it? :D

Okay, got to finish watching My 100 Day Prince Ep 2 so I can write about it....

Enjoyed reading the comment  thank you :)    Some of us have wondered about this Cinderella amnesia.  It sounded silly at first because I thought it felt like  one of those things fished out from the kdrama stew pot.   haha    In that first half of EP1, I only made out with something about bell chimes & red shoes & Disney-landish cinematography & Cinderella amnesia.   But the list of what you observed from that segment made me see otherwise. 

I began to appreciate the imagination of the writer &PD by putting together such a popular theme(Cinderella) and a very unusual movie theme( amnesia from Memento) and then mixing/ setting in the romcom kdrama universe.  
I noticed after the accident the light became cool except certain scenes with OTP.   
I just watched a few IG clips about EP3.  It seems OTP is moving on to the get-to-know-each-other stage. I think MS’s amnesia can be used as a good plot tool in a fun way to show how OTP deal with each other’s strength and shortcoming.    

I’m happy the writer & PD showed they are capable of handling such delightfully cheesy stuff on OTP.  I hope OTP will not turn into a typical zig zag line to a happy sunset. 

Btw Our PDnim is a she :)

17 hours ago, Tasia said:

Annyeong @booha I choped my seat for CJH in this drama.. Loving the first 2 episodes so far.. So glad he's back with RomCom.... 

hahaha   Yup this has been a long  time coming.:sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:   Since EC  I kept saying he needs romcom but he detoured around other dramas.     Seeing him in EP1 acting all mushy mushy was a bit of a shock.    I would like to think he has grown with maturity and discovered how fun being in romcom is.  :P  

Rating for Episode 3 = 1.5% (MBN)

Getting late so I didn't make any screenshots yet.  :sleeping:  I enjoyed today's episode though. I love the bits of humor and funny sound effects. Ma Sung looked so dorky eating that lettuce. And his nearly empty cabinet! :joy::heart: 

I love the ending song and scene. I'm a sucker for a good, heartwrenching ballad. Haven't found out the song title/info yet though. 

Hello Chingu's 

I have so many questions can someone please help me , since my mind is a bit confused and maybe picking up on stuff that isn't there. 

Is Sung Ki Joon's mom coveting Gong Ma Sung's company?

Did she put out a hit on him while he was in italy?

The aunt doesn't seem to like her nephew at all.  Why is that????? I hate her :angry::angry: 

Guest charliew
19 hours ago, 0ly40 said:

I'm hook with this drama. ottokee, Jebal.

preview ep4

cuts ep3

Looks like she's wearing his shirt and pants. Are we staying the night at his houseeeee??? :w00t::wub:

@dito, I’m inclined to believe GB forgot the red shoes in the house while moving out. MS seemed surprised when the door to the compartment opened. He probably didn’t realize it was there.

I also feel uncomfortable with GB getting propelled into the entertainment business. She still has a very bad reputation. Only unless they’ll try to clear her name first, I can’t see how she’ll become successful.

@UnniSarah, I had wary vibes about the aunt ever since I found out that all who surround MS reports to her. She obviously has a motive but for me it isn’t clear yet. I know he’s the heir to their business so I don’t know if she harbors covetous aims related to that. However, she does seem controlling from what her sisters said previously so it’s not quite clear for me yet what her intentions are.

22 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Nice gifs, @supergal99. May I borrow them for my blog? Thanks!

I'll soon post my full reply there because it's going to be something irreverent (what else is new?) on the state of women's ches-- errr... drawers in recent dramas. I've to take a couple of frontal screenshots as examples. :crazy:

MaSung and I had the same reaction: confusion. Like him, I didn't know that women wore double paddings.  I wondered why she was sporting a six-pack four-pack abs before I realized what they were. :blink:

Let's enjoy the show tonight. 

*whisper* oh gosh... u making me trying to guess her *cough* cup size ops:lol: typo --> "abs size" heee...

Erhmm ... u can borrow those gifs for your blog  - oh wait any profit-sharing? Hahaa.. ok chill juz pulling your leg:P

:smiley:Wow.. we have 'showers cum fleshback' scenes again in episode 3... hahaa:glasses::

dKqSBpF.jpg

KfGcve3.jpg

Rbla3ly.jpg

Ok pardon me i am trying hard  to focus on the plot.:grimace:

Hello all.  This is my first time reading many of your posts; however, I am in stitches.  I might not post much about this drama, but I see that I will be laughing a lot.  It is good to laugh sometimes and not take things to seriously.

@packmule3Thanks for the commentary...LOL  Your comparison to Cinderella was spot on. 

@UnniSarah and @celebrianna  I agree with you.  I get a bad vibe from the aunt.  I does appear that she does not like GMS and I would not be surprised if she was trying to steal his money and or company.  It would appear that the hospital (children's wing) is loosing money.  His aunt was probably his legal guardian and; therefore, controlled his money before he came of age.  I don't think she like relinquishing the purse strings or having him making the final decisions.  

On 9/12/2018 at 8:55 AM, dito said:

It was almost a full episode of OTP scenes today. MS really stuck to GB through out the day. Following her like  a cranky puppy :lol:. And she stuck to him too....in his head...even though he again did not write anything about her or rather threw/washed away what he did...she still kept coming back. His doc hypnotized him and MS got the gist of how they know each other. Nothing from 3 years ago just his recent encounters with her. His doc told MS he must have fallen in love with her thats why she's stuck in his head.

I'm bothered now that everyone around MS keeps the aunt informed of his actions. I thought the doc seemed actually happy for MS....that he's finally remembering his yesterdays. Not everything of course ...just his meetings with GB. But then he goes and tells the aunt everything and she's like 'break them up'.

I find myself cringing a lot during HoYa scenes.....I  think I don't like his character...I don't get him. I don't get how he could push people to hire GB when he knows how tough the entertainment world is. Doesn't he realize what GB would have to hear..what kind of nasty remarks if he forces people to hire her....He made MS give him money to establish a management agency just so he could represent GB. That seems a lot like a sponsor 'helping' young starlets to me. It's going to bring all kinds of negative attention on GB again. And the preview shows MS will help her too...now I'm even more worried for GB.

So the red shoes are with MS...I was scratching my head over how that could happen....when we are told the house MS is living in now was actually GB's house 3 years ago. She left or forgot them there...we will know tomorrow. .

MS's organized life is getting messed up by GB but I don't think he minds it that much now......he tries to forget but she is back in his head the next day....he knows he's effected by her...he was crying after listening to her song.....so now he will stop trying to forget her and may stay around her to see where that would lead him and them.

I have to mention...CJH-ssi, it's a delight having you on my screen again. My eyes sorely missed your crinkly smiles and my ears, your sexy breathlessness-inducing voice.:blush:

I finally saw episode 3 and I was very pleased with it. 

Though I only partially believe MS's doctor as love being the only reason for him to remember her. I mean he got hit by the truck following the manager and superstar because he heard them plotting evil things against GB. He was sincerely worried and afraid for her. And I think that is the other part of the reason he is remembering her...which MS seems to agree with particularly when he finds out that they only knew each other for a extremely brief time. 

I do like how his memory is growing and becoming less patchy and it is starting to extend to moments when she wasn't around. She is becoming the catalyst for regaining his memory. And in part, it could be his memory loss is not so much biological as it is psychological. We did see scenes that showed him as a child in an accident...so I am guessing there is a trauma related to his parents deaths. Something that he cannot remember completely, which he may eventually regain when his memory starts to heal. 

Yeah, I am not a fan of the cousin...he is good for laughs but I see him as a contrast for MS. The cousin is what a typical rich chabol heir would really kind of be like, frivolous without a care in the world. However, MS is not because of the tragedies he has experienced. Those have grounded him, which makes him more of a match for GB because in a way they are both survivors. 

I see the GB joining the agency as both good and bad. Bad in that she will experience a lot of prejudice and hatred because of what has happened with the death of the other star. But I also see it good, because it will unearth the case again and when something is unearthed again in dramaland, secrets come out. And the wicked people who are responsible for the murder will come to light slowly.

The other person who I do not like, is the CEO Aunt...she has an agenda, and it does not include MS regaining his memory... I am pretty sure that it all boils down to control. And she seems to like to be in control of things...and GB is breaking the status quo for her. 

I do though like that MS persistent and slightly forward aggressive personality we saw in the first episode is coming to light again. That is good because it means that he will be the one to push through all the crap and hold on to GB. 

But I do see that as the days have passed and he keeps remembering GB and thus more of his day relating to it, he appears to be much more at peace.

In fact, has anyone else noticed that since he ran into her again he has seen her every single day since? 

I look forward to seeing what happens next.

Despite the signs I was hoping so much that the aunt was not evil....but seems like she might be after all, She did not look happy when MS started getting involved with the hospital again. She must be working behind the scenes to remove MS from his position as an heir.....thats why all the reports on his mental and physical condition. Maybe the truck of doom 3 years ago was not an accident as we all think. I'm still holding out hope on that doc though. Hopefully he realizes what the aunt is up to soon. 

This episode GB brings out that childish, teasing, smiling persona of MS from 3 years ago. She forgot her mom's only picture in that house and left it in the hidden cabinet with those red shoes....and also her walkman (walkman?? anyone even use those anymore...or was it her moms too)

Anyways he goes to return them but she sees the red shoes and tells him to throw everything away. Then later realizes about her mom's pic. So to get it back she comes running in her oversized pjs and cleans his house according to his condition to give it back to her.....smh at both these kids....they are behaving like grumpy teens who are mad at each other but won't sort out their problems by talking and just be avoiding the issue....

GB decided to go forth with her career even though she signed the papers as a joke. She seems determined to face everything that comes her way....but is she strong enough. She's still not aware of the full facts about 3 years ago...she still apologizes to that a-hole manager for causing him to loose his job coz of her. She still took a slap from that sh*thead and kept silent....that scene reminded me of  the drama Greatest love. This whole track seemed very similar to that drama. But I think something is off about how they are presenting it here. I don't approve at all how they are going about it. SKJ is not important enough to change the course of GB's life. GB following his misguided directions is making me frustrated. To change GB's state of being right now, needs someone with clout and power to make things happen. Now if they had made MS the catalyst a few more episodes down...I would not mind as he has the motive and the power to help her. They are going to end up doing that anyways but going about it in such a roundabout way.....is for me, messing up the narrative.  

Anyways they are falling for each other all over again......but still not asking the right questions.....maybe next week since preview shows GB finally says something about regretting it.

Darn it. It's only 4 episodes in and I already feel frustrated it ended. I should have waited for ep 10 before starting. I already feel so sorry for JGB. Then I feel more sorry for GMS looking at her being abused and humiliated.

And we haven't actually even started with the angst. I mean the female 2nd lead looks richard simmons. The aunt looks like a backstabber. The doctor is unethical reporting and violating his patients confidentiality. Then we have an evil CEO. Plus apparently one who hid a crime as well. Then the whole Korean netizen squad.

And they don't even or haven't even decided they like each other yet. Then there is the birth secrets. Plus the hidden medical secrets. Then the acquired brain injury.

Oy.

Is the show trying to kill me?

And the actors chose this drama because the script was written early? Just how bad is the suffering that the actors liked it and chose to act in it?

If not for the fact I love the male lead's voice and totally cool demeanour. And ok, his super wide shoulders. And flowing clothes...

And the heroine is sweet. And likable. And has principles...

I have half a mind to skip 4 weeks to save myself some suffering and just watch 8 episodes at a go.

Did the doctor say that MS will eventually lose his sight and his memory will get worse? Anyway, I was fuming when the scum manager slapped GB. It makes me impatient for the story to start tackling the murder from three years ago. GB has suffered a lot from it and I can’t see her making a comeback if her reputation is still trash especially in Korean society. Not guilty pronounced by a court of law doesn’t carry much weight there it seems. I don’t want to see her hurt more deeply by strangers so I don’t support her current decision to enter the entertainment world.

The cousin really annoyed me today. Why is he yanking MS’ sunglasses off? I assume he must not know that MS suffers from too much light but it was still a thoughtless thing for him to do. :angry:

Watched ep 3 and already gutsing that the aunt, doctor... they are up to no good to GMS... 

The way people around him manipulated and abused him is really, really annoying...

He himself not on his best character now, but who can blame him... He's unwell!

Eventhough I dislike how he belittling JGB when they met... But I like how JGB "handled" him...

Anyway... I love seeing this drama so far...

And GMS' shower scenes :blush::love: loving them to bits!! 

*whisper* uh oh.. is this pair the 2nd OTP here? ..eee...ops.. yap the cousin is really :sweatingbullets: ... @celebrianna

v1vEGj3.jpg

:grimace:I would prefer to see more of the cute secretary hahaaa:joy:: i need bromance too:wub:

JbPr8rl.jpg

sJc06gA.jpg

#101kdrama trope - funny secretaries in romcoms

Spoiler

:glasses: ok chill..happy weekend!!

Sadly MS’s condition is much more serious.:(  Suddenly MS’s tattoo gives out the feeling of loneliness and vulnerability.   Humm  I like, whenever GB sees the tattoo, her feelings are tugged and her expression softens.   I guess it reminds her of the memory of their first encounter.  Though these two are confused and misunderstood about each other now, I like the way the thread which connects them unfolds ever slowly.  
 Touching  2 images: The way GB looks out to MS in her music video & how MS looks when GB asks him about the tattoo (I can’t screencap the images so I’m posting IG clips)

Spoiler

I must thank the writers for including at least one shirtless scene of Choi Jin-Hyuk per episode LoL:w00t: Also whoever his stylist is - thumbs up. The clothes he wears...which Jin-Hyuk does very well displays his tall, broad shoulders to full effect. 

Ep. 03 - 04 were adorable due to the fireworks generated by our OTP. Their chemistry is on fire. They bicker a lot but heck it's so enjoyable to watch! Man-Sung seem to relish "bullying" Gi-Bum a bit too much but even he finds her irresistable:lol: I just don't know why he's holding back on that fateful day three years ago(?) 

Would've liked to know more on the dark incident that set back poor Gi-Bum 3 years ago as well. Hope they all get revealed in future ep. 

Ha-Im's a ***** but I can't help like her chemistry with Ki-Joon. They're sort of cute together. There's also Man-Sung's long suffering wingman ha-ha. Gi-Bum's BFF is a sweetheart too. 

The actress who plays Man-Sung's aunt is known to play despicable characters, she just has a face for it:P

@dito, the sad thing about the situation with the aunt is that MS remains oblivious to any possibility that she might do him harm since she raised him. The secretary seemed like he was trying to give him a hint but MS dismissed it as his aunt having a less than friendly disposition. 

It’s sad that his parents died is an easily avoidable accident. They didn’t have to try to retrieve the toy truck while the dad was driving. That must have tormented MS in the aftermath. Poor child. 

Archived