[Drama 2018] Devilish Joy, 마성의 기쁨

0ly40

I'm DYING at the end of ep. 02 that she threw her purse at Man-Sung and LEFT. IT. THERE.:blink: Girl I know you're very capable but geez that's money you're goin' to need!:P

I noticed she was like, dragging that huge luggage around Man-Sung's house but when he ticked her off...all a sudden Gi-Bum had super woman-like strength & was able to get it across the foyer with no trouble at all LoL! K-drama logic indeed:lol::w00t::rolleyes:

When he asked her if she was worth remembering, I yelled Of Course She Is! Otherwise Our Drama Ends At 2 Episodes:( I was actually shocked by Gi-Bum's answer but I can see why she said it. He was a total jerk to her & said some pretty harsh stuff so it's obvious why she'd want him to forget her. 

Let's hope Man-Sung regrets it soon eheh.:phew:;)

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Latte_Anyday

Me too  While these two were talking something serious, I had no idea why I kept looking at the purse.   hahaha   Okay maybe it wasn’t careless by DJ team?  Maybe Ma Sung will return the purse in ep3 or maybe someone slept through editing???  
However you are right about the luggage with 100 clothes. haha   I went back to see that scene.  It’s so funny the way she lifted it up and sailed through the door.  haha  Yup another napping during editing.:huh::crazy:

I began to like how Gi Bbum came through her bad time and found the strength to survive.  Very impressive how she eat the fish.   At the beginning she acted like a puffy cotton girl. But after 3 years she didn’t lose her trusting good nature and she became strong and a bit wiser.  I’m glad her family cared for her though her dad can be a bit of a dodo.  I like the way she talked back to Ma Sung.  

New BTS photo  (Someone made a comment saying they seemed very comfortable with each other & maybe a dating announcement  in future?  :ph34r:  )

https://entertain.naver.com

Guest charliew
6 hours ago, booha said:

@Latte_Anyday

Me too  While these two were talking something serious, I had no idea why I kept looking at the purse.   hahaha   Okay maybe it wasn’t careless by DJ team?  Maybe Ma Sung will return the purse in ep3 or maybe someone slept through editing???  
However you are right about the luggage with 100 clothes. haha   I went back to see that scene.  It’s so funny the way she lifted it up and sailed through the door.  haha  Yup another napping during editing.:huh::crazy:

I began to like how Gi Bbum came through her bad time and found the strength to survive.  Very impressive how she eat the fish.   At the beginning she acted like a puffy cotton girl. But after 3 years she didn’t lose her trusting good nature and she became strong and a bit wiser.  I’m glad her family cared for her though her dad can be a bit of a dodo.  I like the way she talked back to Ma Sung.  

New BTS photo  (Someone made a comment saying they seemed very comfortable with each other & maybe a dating announcement  in future?  :ph34r:  )

https://entertain.naver.com 

OMG yes! any shipping thread made yet? I couldnt find it :)

6 hours ago, charliew said:

OMG yes! any shipping thread made yet? I couldnt find it :)

Haha  That someone is Korean.  I think it’s still too early for our OTP. Yeah it would be prudent to wait for more eps. -_-:P 

" 'Devilish charm', Taiwan->Japan sales... Choi Jin Hyuk Effect, Highest Price After Jang Keun-seok "

I wonder if MS was always like that or did he become like that after losing his memories. He just comes off as a completely different person than what we saw him as with GB 3 years ago. He was so nice, caring and liked teasing her, just having met her. And let me say he knows how to swoon a woman, okay? He didn't even hesitate on making moves on her! Now he's the complete opposite.

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2018] Devilish Joy, 마성의 기쁨 - Wednesdays @ 23:00 KST
7 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

I wonder if MS was always like that or did he become like that after losing his memories. He just comes off as a completely different person than what we saw him as with GB 3 years ago. He was so nice, caring and liked teasing her, just having met her. And let me say he knows how to swoon a woman, okay? He didn't even hesitate on making moves on her! Now he's the complete opposite.

According to the char description, some level of MS’s personality has changed due to the accident. Of course since it’s kdrama he still has a warm heart underneath (something like that haha)  

Your comment made me wonder about the accident and its aftereffect on his new life.  We know that both MS and GB didn’t hide into a pity-me corner the last 3 years. They moved on and tried to live on under the changed situation.  

MS figured out how to live a life when everything happened the day before is erased the next day. He came up with a strategy, by keeping a diary and a planned schedule (like his daily menu). He tries to avoid any surprise/ unexpected things.   So when he met GB again, he behaved rudely because he panicked.  Something strongly stirred in his memory and his heart yet he didn’t know why.  Yeah I want to believe that his behavior toward GB may be a bit exaggerated to spice up the drama viewing.  hehe  
And MS acted in such a way at the beginning because he was head over heels in love (love -at-first-sight).  The first half of ep shows what the love-la-la land looks like and how two people would act under the intoxication of love.  haha   
But after the initial shock of their meeting wears off, I would like to think they will slowly act mushy and silly and go gaga again.  

2 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Well said... i also almost dropped this off because the first episode was too much of cutesy with the lead girl. Luckily the episode 2 is turn out good. Perhaps i secretly enjoy her problematic life and can relate to her more. And i think the actress who played her character is more suitable with girl nextdoor role. Anyway now that were done with background story i hope things will get more interesting.

I think the accident did change his personality. He survived a big trauma and he's been dealing with the memory problem for a while. He doesn't know if he'll ever get his memories back to normal. I'm guessing he has avoided establishing any new personal relationships/romances because of this. Makes his character kinda sad. He still functions well with his work and daily habits, but he has to be make sure to write everything down and keep a strict routine. It's a little surprising that he is still working as a doctor.

1 hour ago, booha said:

According to the char description, some level of MS’s personality has changed due to the accident. Of course since it’s kdrama he still has a warm heart underneath (something like that haha)  

Your comment made me wonder about the accident and its aftereffect on his new life.  We know that both MS and GB didn’t hide into a pity-me corner the last 3 years. They moved on and tried to live on under the changed situation.  

MS figured out how to live a life when everything happened the day before is erased the next day. He came up with a strategy, by keeping a diary and a planned schedule (like his daily menu). He tries to avoid any surprise/ unexpected things.   So when he met GB again, he behaved rudely because he panicked.  Something strongly stirred in his memory and his heart yet he didn’t know why.  Yeah I want to believe that his behavior toward GB may be a bit exaggerated to spice up the drama viewing.  hehe  
And MS acted in such a way at the beginning because he was head over heels in love (love -at-first-sight).  The first half of ep shows what the love-la-la land looks like and how two people would act under the intoxication of love.  haha   
But after the initial shock of their meeting wears off, I would like to think they will slowly act mushy and silly and go gaga again.  

Good point about how both leads are moving on despite their unfortunate events.

wOCpGc7.png

[Devilish Joy] Ep 2 Choi Jin Hyuk searches for his memories, Song Ha Yoon tells him not to remember them

Article: Naver 'Devilish Joy' A drama where time flies while watching is born! No character to abandon

• Gong Ma Sung (Choi Jin Hyuk) got into an accident and he suffers from short term memory loss after the accident. His memories only last for a day. 
  • Joo Gi Bbeum (Song Ha Yoon) used to be a popular actress when she met him before his accident. But she isn't anymore. 

1. [+121,-2]
There are no characters to throw away and the casts are perfect~ Choi Jin Hyuk is so cool, his voice is good, his eye smile is cute, and he's handsome. My heart fluttered watching this. I like it~ ♡

2. [+61,-0]
Devilish Joy is so fun to watch. ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ  I hope next Wednesday comes quickly. ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅜ Actor Choi Jin Hyuk is so cool. Actress Song Ha Yoon is so pretty and lovely, she can only be described as dazzling. Actor Lee Ho Won too. Why is he so cute? This is the best. ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Everyone, watch this drama. ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

3. [+27,-0]
I became a fan ever since Gu Family Book.. His acting is the best~^^

4. [+21,-0]
Interesting interesting interesting. The best. 

5. [+14,-0]
I happened to watch the first episode, it was so interesting that I went on watching the second episode. Song Ha Yoon-ssi and Choi Jin Hyuk-ssi, they did well acting, but not many people know about this which made me sad. I hope this drama gets more recognition. I look forward to episode 3~

6. [+8,-0]
I totally became a fan!! The story is interesting. I didn't even realize time had passed. I hope Wednesday comes quickly.  ㅠㅠㅠㅠ This is so interesting!!! I became a fan of the scriptwriter. 

7. [+5,-0]
The story is good. Today I watched the rerun continuously. It's fun. 

8. [+5,-0]
This is so interesting. Choi Jin Hyuk's voice is so cool. He matches well with Song Ha Yoon. ^^

dBoXszh.png

Article: Naver 'Devilish Joy' Choi Jin Hyuk's charisma in fantasy romcom, now is only the beginning

1. [+75,-0]
He is really, really charismatic. 

2. [+49,-0]
I really like Ma Sung. I enjoyed episode 1 and 2 and am looking forward to episode 3. Ma Sung's honey voice, build, the chemistry between the leads are all good, the difference between their builds are so good too. I hope they get better ratings through word of mouth~~ 

3. [+41,-1]
I don't watch dramas these days, but because of Choi Jin Hyuk, I've started watching this... I'll always support you, Choi Jin Hyuk..

4. [+31,-1]
Choi Jin Hyuk's voice is good, his acting is good too. I want to watch it so much that even if I'm tired, I'll still be a first broadcast killer. Song Ha Yoon-ssi is pretty too. ^^ I hope the drama gets popular~~~ ♡

5. [+20,-0]
Choi Jin Hyuk's acting is good and he's cool. 

6. [+11,-0]
I melted at his eye smile in episode 1, and melted in episode 2 when he was chic. I really like it~ My heart fluttered seeing that him wear a suit in this drama when he didn't get to wear one in Tunnel. ♡♡

7. [+7,-0]
Choi Jin Hyuk-nim!! Been a while since you did romcom, and you're so cool!! The best male lead amongst all recent dramas!! 

8. [+7,-0]
This is fun to watch. 1hr passed by so quickly. I hope the ratings go up. 

9. [+6,-0]

The drama is interesting. Looking forward to next week's episode. 

CREDIT

Yay, glad to see some comment translations! ^^

On 9/9/2018 at 8:35 AM, supergal99 said:

Oh... seems like more shower scenes are needed to create more flesh..  erhm ... typo.. i mean flashback .. mmm very important to help him remember her ...*cough*:glasses:

Ok chill.. happy waiting!!:)

hahaha. Thanks for posting this gif. What's a kdrama without a shower scene? I suspect that leading males are contractually obligated to show off their bodies in the first couple of episodes.  But I remember in one of the behind-the-scenes/outtakes in Pride and Prejudice, Choi Jin-Hyuk was embarrassed to display his chest. It was his costar, Lee Tae Hwan, who showed off his body in his place.

BTW, I’m all for equal opportunity so the female actress, Song Ha-Yoon, should have a shower scene, too. lol. 

Anywa, I'll be watching and commenting on this kdrama for now.  Here’s a short excerpt of my review for Episodes 1 and 2.

I'm surprised that the actress, Song Ha Yoon, said in an interview that she's fantasized falling in love just like in the kdrama. Really? Which part of their first encounter would she like duplicated? The diarrhea? The encounter with the gang? Losing her shoe? Being lost and penniless? Searching for her team? The plunge into the pool? Her rescue? Singing? The kiss on the steps?

Frankly I would have been mortified to death if I found myself in similar situations. My idea of falling in love at first sight is more psychological than emotional. To me, falling in love at first sight is a MEMORY BIAS. Two people meet each other for the first time, and they feel a spark, a frisson of excitement. But this kind of sudden attraction is NOT rare. It can actually happen any time -- and every time -- you encounter a handsome stranger who exchanges glances with you. You're thrilled that you've been singled out.

However, what makes you think that you've fallen in love at first sight is you REARRANGING your memories of that earliest encounter into a positive light. In hindsight, you're looking back at the first contact and unconsciously painting a romantic picture and giving it a halo effect.

Take for example, in this kdrama, the director produces the ATMOSPHERE of romantic scenes. He's the one creating this illusion of love at first sight. Like, when MaSung and GiBbeum meet for the first time, they stand alone under soft sunlight, in an empty intersection, in front of this white massive building.

<_< You can't get any more romantic than that! The impression of a church wedding is strong in that scene: she's in white, a monstrosity of an altar is between, and a handsome groom stand across her.

And time slows down. Every time, there's a slow-mo, the director wants to alter our perception and to signal that something monumental is happening in such a "non-event" event as accidentally walking together in front of a historic building in Hainan. lol. 

This same romantic illusion is present when they kiss on the stairs. Suddenly, time slows down again and white petals fall down from nowhere -- when all the trees around them are green. :lol: The imagery here?  The white petals (or rice in some cultures) are often thrown at the groom and bride as they leave the church. 

Both MaSung and GiBbeum will remember this day (and night) as love at first sight because they will romanticize the encounter and CONVENIENTLY forget their original annoyance with each other. That's memory bias in action for you.

Initially, MaSung thought she was a brazen huzzy who ordered him to get her a drink. She on the other hand mistook him for a persnickety fan wanting her autograph. There was certainly NO love lost at their first encounter. But after they spend time together, their memories will trick them, and  their minds will gloss over the bad encounter and focus instead on the other adventures of the day.

That's why I say love at first sight is a memory bias. People in love have the tendency to look back at the start of their acquaintance, remember it with kindness, and think that they've fallen at that particular moment. It's a reconstructed positive illusion.

And that's why I think I'll be sticking it out with this drama for a few more episodes. As much I deplore the incongruous plot and the infantilized heroine, I want to see where the script is going with this love-as-a-memory angle.

Lol. I'm not sticking around for Choi Jin-Hyuk. Really. I. Am. Not. :phew:

source: http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/09/08/devilish-joy-eps-1-and-2

6 hours ago, packmule3 said:

BTW, I’m all for equal opportunity so the female actress, Song Ha-Yoon, should have a shower scene, too. lol. 

Erhm...mmm.. oh oh this 'camel' scene is a good start... hahaaa...:tounge_wink:

eWf2Vgt.jpg

*whisper* eh.. @booha omo...this drama is for matured audience .. *choke*

Ok..cover cover incase any minor pop by:sweatingbullets:

G50nTPT.jpg

:glasses: ok chill.. kuz kidding...

20 hours ago, lumibear said:

I think the accident did change his personality. He survived a big trauma and he's been dealing with the memory problem for a while. He doesn't know if he'll ever get his memories back to normal. I'm guessing he has avoided establishing any new personal relationships/romances because of this. Makes his character kinda sad. He still functions well with his work and daily habits, but he has to be make sure to write everything down and keep a strict routine. It's a little surprising that he is still working as a doctor.

I completely agree with you that MaSung's personality is in part due to the situation he is in with his memory...and I am pretty certain that he is not only a little upset about the fact that there seems to be no resolution to the issue. In fact, if I remember the conversation he had with the doctor about his condition, it seems that his brain is shrinking....in other words his brain is dying and he is on the path to get dementia then probably die. Pretty horrible concept to have to live with, plus his condition is extremely isolating. So I get his bad attitude and general unpleasantness towards everyone. It is hard to be happy in that kind of situation... plus he has my respect in how he has managed to make some semblance of a life for himself and living alone to boot and not living in a care facility. But then his families situation does perhaps influence that. 

As for him being a doctor...what I understand from the drama is that he has told everyone that he is focusing on becoming the CEO so he has "taken a break" from being a doctor. No one really know about his condition except for a few, which is why doctors would still be asking for his advice...but he knows he can't practice medicine any more which is why we haven't seen him wear a doctor's coat while working. And the fact he can't practice medicine anymore can also make him angry and ornery...he pretty much lost most of his life in that accident and lives according to the confines of his condition.

Lastly, I agree with what many of you have said about MaSung not actually have been in love "at first sight" with Joy. I agree that was just pure physical chemistry. However, she did make an impression on him... a pretty deep one since he asked her to be his girlfriend after a single day. I mean the man got a tattoo to commiserate it, for crying out loud! He was even changing his travel plans and such with her....which I gather, was not normal for him to do.

But as fluffy as the first episode was, I felt that was part of the purpose of showing that...it was to show how she had the power to change him just through her presence. It also demonstrates how he is drawn to her and how he will be drawn to her later. Remember, he started the day with being annoyed and ticked off at her...in the end he was following her around and making excuses to spend time. She is literally his weakness[Catnip] and gets under his skin without having to do anything other than be herself.

But what is interesting, is that she does the same when they meet again. She makes an impression on him...enough that he thinks about her repeatedly throughout the day afterwards...which could be part of the reason he remembers her the next day. He kept thinking about her..so she started to make his way into his long term memory, so he remembers her...which gives him hope for his condition...but on the other scares him, because what if it turns out to be a fluke.

So it makes sense that he would try to simultaneously push away the thing that could possibly be his one hope.

In fact, in the end of the 2nd episode when he is stating that she should chose for him to remember or not, he is just reacting out of fear and hopelessness that has been his constant companion the past 3 years. Cause if you look at his face when she talks back to him, he looks pretty hurt by her answer as if he was hoping that should would state otherwise.

Anyways, sorry for the long post...just my thoughts :D

4 hours ago, guinearoyal said:

As for him being a doctor...what I understand from the drama is that he has told everyone that he is focusing on becoming the CEO so he has "taken a break" from being a doctor. No one really know about his condition except for a few, which is why doctors would still be asking for his advice...but he knows he can't practice medicine any more which is why we haven't seen him wear a doctor's coat while working. And the fact he can't practice medicine anymore can also make him angry and ornery...he pretty much lost most of his life in that accident and lives according to the confines of his condition.

But what is interesting, is that she does the same when they meet again. She makes an impression on him...enough that he thinks about her repeatedly throughout the day afterwards...which could be part of the reason he remembers her the next day. He kept thinking about her..so she started to make his way into his long term memory, so he remembers her...which gives him hope for his condition...but on the other scares him, because what if it turns out to be a fluke.

So it makes sense that he would try to simultaneously push away the thing that could possibly be his one hope.

In fact, in the end of the 2nd episode when he is stating that she should chose for him to remember or not, he is just reacting out of fear and hopelessness that has been his constant companion the past 3 years. Cause if you look at his face when she talks back to him, he looks pretty hurt by her answer as if he was hoping that should would state otherwise.

Anyways, sorry for the long post...just my thoughts :D

(Sorry for cutting your post.) Your comments are great. Keep 'em coming. ^^ You're right that he seems to be acting more like a CEO. I missed the detail that he wasn't wearing a doctor's coat. It also makes sense that not everyone would know about his condition.

I like your analysis about Gi Bbeum's effect on him too. :)

The rating for Episode 2 = 1.2% (on MBN)

I hope it goes up tomorrow!

Some random stills of Ma Sung below~ :] I really like that he uses the good ol' pen and paper instead of high-tech methods for his journal.

OzhhUYW.jpg

vBd6mxF.jpg;

Source

Nice gifs, @supergal99. May I borrow them for my blog? Thanks!

I'll soon post my full reply there because it's going to be something irreverent (what else is new?) on the state of women's ches-- errr... drawers in recent dramas. I've to take a couple of frontal screenshots as examples. :crazy:

MaSung and I had the same reaction: confusion. Like him, I didn't know that women wore double paddings.  I wondered why she was sporting a six-pack four-pack abs before I realized what they were. :blink:

Let's enjoy the show tonight. 

42 minutes ago, princessaves said:

Yay! Excited to find you here, @packmule3! I've been a fan since Reply 1988 and watched Warm and Cozy based on your recommendations. Devilish Joy will be more fun to watch since you're writing about it. Annyeong and thank you! ^_^

Hahaha. I don’t know if my commentaries on this kdrama will make it more fun to watch. All I can guarantee you is that I will KILL it. 

Happily. 

…because killing it is the only way I can stab and dissect each and every piece of it. :) It’s kinda like doing a postmortem on the show. Or an autopsy without the blood (I’m scared of blood).

One thing I forgot to mention in my last review: the reverse Cinderella story in the first episode.

Did you notice how in the first episode, especially before MaSung got hit by that truck, everything felt oddly familiar? 

It’s because he was running right before midnight -- like Cinderella was. All the elements of the Cinderella fairy tale had been previously laid out. 

For instance,

*A famous starlet but also much abused and overworked (she lost weight) = Cinderella, the true lady of the house, but abused by her stepmother and stepsisters

*Losing her shoe as they ran away from the gang = Cinderella losing her shoe as she flees the castle

*The red shoes that he bought and she put on = the glass slipper the Prince puts on Cinderella
*Singing and dancing in the middle of a crowd = the ballroom dance with the spectators watching Cinderella dance with Prince

*The staircase where they kissed = the grand staircase where Cinderella leaves her glass slipper

*The white truck of doom = Cinderella’s carriage turning into a pumpkin  
*The bell ringing the hour as he gets hit by the truck = the stroke of midnight and the lovely dream ends

See that?

The first episode had this fairy tale ambiance about it because we were unconsciously remembering scenes from another well-known fairy tale. That's why the first episode had this surreal feel. Like we've seen the story before. 

It was cleverly done, wasn't it? :D

Okay, got to finish watching My 100 Day Prince Ep 2 so I can write about it....

It was almost a full episode of OTP scenes today. MS really stuck to GB through out the day. Following her like  a cranky puppy :lol:. And she stuck to him too....in his head...even though he again did not write anything about her or rather threw/washed away what he did...she still kept coming back. His doc hypnotized him and MS got the gist of how they know each other. Nothing from 3 years ago just his recent encounters with her. His doc told MS he must have fallen in love with her thats why she's stuck in his head.

I'm bothered now that everyone around MS keeps the aunt informed of his actions. I thought the doc seemed actually happy for MS....that he's finally remembering his yesterdays. Not everything of course ...just his meetings with GB. But then he goes and tells the aunt everything and she's like 'break them up'.

I find myself cringing a lot during HoYa scenes.....I  think I don't like his character...I don't get him. I don't get how he could push people to hire GB when he knows how tough the entertainment world is. Doesn't he realize what GB would have to hear..what kind of nasty remarks if he forces people to hire her....He made MS give him money to establish a management agency just so he could represent GB. That seems a lot like a sponsor 'helping' young starlets to me. It's going to bring all kinds of negative attention on GB again. And the preview shows MS will help her too...now I'm even more worried for GB.

So the red shoes are with MS...I was scratching my head over how that could happen....when we are told the house MS is living in now was actually GB's house 3 years ago. She left or forgot them there...we will know tomorrow. .

MS's organized life is getting messed up by GB but I don't think he minds it that much now......he tries to forget but she is back in his head the next day....he knows he's effected by her...he was crying after listening to her song.....so now he will stop trying to forget her and may stay around her to see where that would lead him and them.

I have to mention...CJH-ssi, it's a delight having you on my screen again. My eyes sorely missed your crinkly smiles and my ears, your sexy breathlessness-inducing voice.:blush:

Archived