[Upcoming Drama 2019-2021] Kingdom, 킹덤 - Joo Ji Hoon, Bae Doo Na - Netflix - One-Episode-Special to premiere in 2021

0ly40

Joo Ji Hoon... if you've watched Kim Eun Hee's dramas, you should have already known by now that no one, not even the lead characters, are safe. That being said... Yi Chang, please stay safe and survive to see Season 3! :sweatingbullets:

Joo Ji Hoon On His Reaction “Kingdom” Season 2 Script, Says No One Is Safe

Joo Ji Hoon On His Reaction “Kingdom” Season 2 Script, Says No One Is Safe

Feb 15, 2019
by R. Jun

Joo Ji Hoon, currently starring in MBC’s newly premiered drama “The Item,” teased fans about what’s to come in the second season of “Kingdom,” which premiered its first season on Netflix late January to rave reviews.

Asked to give his own rating to the Korean historical zombie series, Joo Ji Hoon said, “I want to give it 10 out of 5 stars. I’m satisfied.”

“It’s hard to tell how what the response is really like, but, even if it’s just words, it feels good hearing international reviews compare it to other successful works and say that it surpassed existing ‘K-zombie’ flicks,” said Joo Ji Hoon. “It doesn’t matter if it really surpassed [other works] or not. As someone who was a part of the project, it’s incredible that people feel that way to begin with.”

joo-ji-hoon-kingdom-540x360.jpg

“Kingdom” is different from other zombie shows in that there are no incredibly gory or horrifying scenes. “The horror comes from emotions. When [a zombie] is about to overrun a child, the scene cuts. It’s a mental horror,” said Joo Ji Hoon, explaining that director Kim Sung Hoon didn’t want to show overly horrifying scenes. “If you watch, [the zombies] are pitiful. A mom tries to save her child, but becomes a pitiful creature that ends up [taking the life] of her [other] child. They’re hungry when they’re alive, and they’re hungry when they’re dead. It’s a zombie drama that tells the story of people’s hunger.”

Talking about the director’s approach to “Kingdom,” the actor said, “A camera is just a machine, but it’s amazing how the direction reflects how the director sees the situation. I think you can tell that the director doesn’t see the monsters as monsters. It was like that on set, and it was like that on screen.”

As soon as he wraps filming for MBC’s “The Item,” Joo Ji Hoon will resume filming for “Kingdom” season two. The actor recalled seeing the season two script for the first time. “I was in a plane to Singapore reading the script with Ryu Seung Ryong, and I was so surprised I shouted, ‘What? Really?'” He added, “There are no guarantees that my character is going to live to the end. In season one of ‘Game of Thrones,’ the main character dies.”

cr. Soompi

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] Kingdom, 킹덤 - Joo Ji Hoon, Bae Doo Na - Netflix

New stills from Season 2! The 2nd picture looks like it's from Frozen Valley... perhaps taking place immediately after where we left Seo Bi and Cho Beom-pal during the S1 finale:

20190304000608_0.jpg

20190304000609_0.jpg

cr. Korea Herald

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My deepest condolences to the family and loved ones of the youngest staff member of Kingdom who passed away in a car accident on Mar 13, 2019 while driving one of the props cars to the filming site in Pyeongchang. Really pray that the safety and well-being of the cast and crew will always be paramount in this and every production...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bae Doona talks about Kingdom as part of her interview in Allure 2019, translated by lodevotion. Am I even surprised by now that "a lot of people will die", knowing KEH's propensity to kill off characters, backed by RSR and JJH's other interviews? :sweatingbullets:

D2p1fP0UYAQvgoK.jpg

cr. lodevotion twitter

More of the full interview in this thread here:

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
13 minutes ago, Table122000 said:

It's Official! Kingdom Season 2 will premiere on Netflix March 2020!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SnF5vIE-nI

Thanks for the information:wub:. Finally!!!!!! Is it confirmed that this is the last season or there is another one coming? 

@lianxu lianxu Sorry for the late reply. There is no webtoon for this. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is months later, but just caught up with the zombie infested Joseon era Kingdom. What. a. show. it's cruel to wait months for the next season.

I have this burning question and I hope ppl here can help out. In the last episode 6, it is revealed that the zombies are temperature dependent and not light to be alive. So why did the zombies wake up only at dawn to attack? the previous night when all were ready for the zombies, it was cold as well , so why were the zombies not alive then? (Prime Minister Cho's attendant also says - that the night is very cold so he should get some rest). Why did the zombies not attack during the cold night?

Ju Ji-Hoon is so attractive because of the subtle shades of reluctance and fear that he embodies. The last show of his fearing face , close up - ace.

Bae Doona is good! Her way of speaking in that era's proper Korean is fine and not theatrical as usually portrayed. She is so dazed and stunned and tired when we meet her with the prince, and hence just monotoned in her talk. She is someone who is quiet , soft spoken yet has immense strength and fearlessness in character. Doona nailed it.
The Queen is creepy, the actress good! And actor playing Young Shin perfect for the role.

I just am so lost about the zombies attack in the last episode. The prime minster knew that they would attack in the morn, why did not in the cold night? This plot hole? is eating my head..

• Like 4

@towrite It's too long to wait:tears:. I completely forgot about everything lol:sweatingbullets::lol:.

If I remember correctly, that's the twist. They will explain it on season 2.

As for the prime minister, he knows the truth about the zombies. That's why he wasn't worried about the Crown Prince not being dead yet and knew that they will get attacked. And don't get me started on the Queen lol. Both father and daughter are more scarier than these zombies IMAO:mrgreen:.

• Like 3

@lu09

Discussions petered out soon after the series ended and I watched this just now , rewatching , rewatching. This series is superb.

I really want to know. :/ :/. Thanks for replying though.  The PM does get a zombie where the Prince is at Sangju, but the whole imminent dawn attack left me with qns!!

As well, I don't think there is any mole. The Prime M's men caught the first man who tells them he told the Prince where the old doctor has left with the young boy's body. After that the PM sends his men in groups to get the Prince and they get the leads. Hence they land eventually wherever the Prince and his group land. The Prince's bodyguard is clean I think but this realisation will come at a heavy price. 

Reg. his wife at the pregnant women's shelter - this is shudder inducing and such things  have def'ly happened - he must have just told her to be with the group rather than on her own alone when she is due anytime. But she casually spills the beans about who she is.

Also, I want more substance from Doona's written role than her digging roots for the Prince's wounds. Even at night!! I want her character to do more. Hope S2 delivers on this.

Damn, seriously I need Season 2 now, More of the so hot princely JJH and Bae Doona and the whole of Kingdom.

Every actor is perfect. Any idea of a link to the complete press conference with Eng Subs? The video is here but there are no subs!! I seriously can watch anything related to this series now. This series has gripped moi. Ha!

• Like 4

@towrite @lu09 The zombies did not wake up at dawn to attack Sangju, but were already on the move from Changnyeong the whole night. When Yi Chang learnt that Changnyeong was attacked, he anticipated that the zombie epidermic will reach the outskirts of Sangju latest by two days, if not that night, based on the assumption that they slept during the day. Hence they were on alert the whole night, anticipating the arrival of the zombies which were clearly on the move, since the only thing left of those sent out on reconnaissance that day was a hand still attached to the surviving horse. What they did not realise was that the danger was not over with daybreak, because the zombies were still on the move due to the lowered temperatures.

Cho Hak Ju definitely knows what really drives the zombies, since he was well aware what Physician Lee did 3 years ago when he brought someone back from the dead, which I still believe to be the reason for the resounding victory of the Battle of Unpo Upland. Hence he knew that the danger was still real when the sun rose, since the temperatures remain conducive to the advance of the zombies. Hope that helps.

• Like 4

@liddi Thank you, yes I just got the same interpretation from reddit and it makes sense. PM does know everything about the zombies, I wonder how because only when there is an outbreak one comes to know behavioural patterns. Or the zombie was experimented on?..

I'm not sure about the battle, else that would have been a never ending wave of zombies created. I was wondering if Lord Ahn's mother is a zombie and he in guilt has spent three years in mourning until his 'redemption' comes in the form of the current situation and he comes back to the village governance.

I was wondering why Seo Bi and Coward Cho spent the entire night at the Frozen Valley? Unless the zombies were there the night all through and did not leave even when the sun rose. Ah, need more of that.

I am relieved that I understood the morn outbreak but now am wondering how PM knows about zombies so much. Even Ahn doesn't know about low temp zombies and he would have if he had used them for the war before. But I don't think this war angle fits, logically..But who knows. ;)

Gosh, the number of times I'm watching the last 10 minutes of the finale. It is the best. Was searching for the background score but it is not released?..I loved the music when the close up of all faces syncs with the impending arrival of the morning zombies.. Wish this music comes out.

• Like 4

@liddi Thanks for the explanation:). So they were on the move already the night before but the prince and the rest just didn't expect for the zombies to be moving in the morning due to lower temperature. That caught them off guard.

@towrite I have a feeling PM experimented on a zombie before. Do you think it's the current King? How long was he in that condition in the first place?. What's even suspicious is how the PM knows about the zombies being scared of water. Remember where the bodies of the King's meal goes. They get thrown in the lake with a rock tied on their feet to push them down. That's highly suspicious:ph34r:.

SB and coward Choi didn't leave at night because they had the assumption just like the rest that the zombies move only nighttime which was a big mistake. I wonder how they are gonna survive from that mess.

I have a feeling that the previous zombies that were used to win the war were failure and were wiped out after they served their purpose. Or Ahn is in cahoots with the PM. That's why he is pretending he doesn't know anything.

I'm gonna do a marathon when the second season comes out and make sure I don't watch it at nighttime lol. A big mistake I did:skull::mrgreen:.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lu09 said:

How long was he in that condition in the first place

Ep 2 or 3, in a flashback when the PM is standing in front of the zombie King''s bed, he asks the doctor Lee to perform a resurrection ike he did three years ago to keep the King 'alive' for just one month , since the queen delivers (that she isn't preggers is another story) in a month. So it just happened I feel , the 10 days since he takes ill with smallpox as told to everyone, I feel is 10 days being a zombie.

1 hour ago, lu09 said:

how the PM knows about the zombies being scared of water.

There is a time lapse of some minutes before the body turns into a zombie. By that time , it is disposed, very smartly into water, the only way there are no remnants of a killing. Burning, the world would know, but sinking the body , all evidence gone. And this is done in the morning when the king has had his fill and gone off to because of the morning. This is briefly shown in ep 4 or 3 , where in the morn about six guards rush a cloth bag stained with blood and immed'ly dispose off the same in the lake.

I still have doubts about the war and zombie usage , because Young Shin is tied to Ahn's past, and he would have had more than a whiff of the war going ons. He is an ex soldier as well as member of the Chacko. He would def'ly have known about the undead. it makes no sense to use zombies in a battle. Who becomes who then? No one dies. Ahn would have to defend more than the enemy if zombies were there...I hope this plot writing isn't slack in S2.

Three years ago, who did they bring to life if not the King. I think it is Ahn's mother, but why..

• Like 4

@towrite Thanks for the information. I forgot about the time lapse:sweatingbullets:. But the way the story is going, the time lapse is getting shorter and shorter. 

Why do I have a feeling PM resurrecting the King as a zombie was a really bad idea? I have a feeling the experiment will success and the opening credit will happen ( the opening scene where the king opens his eyes in his zombie form). At this rate, he might become the King of the zombies lol:lol:.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lu09 said:

PM resurrecting the King as a zombie was a really bad idea

Power blinds. All the PM wants is to be at the top with a dummy king , that is his grandson, in a month. He has it all under control he thinks. The actor is superb though.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, towrite said:

Power blinds. All the PM wants is to be at the top with a dummy king , that is his grandson, in a month. He has it all under control he thinks. The actor is superb though.

Indeed. I'm so looking forward to his face when he finds out his own daughter pulled the rug under him lol:joy::mrgreen:

• LOL 2

15 hours ago, lu09 said:

Indeed. I'm so looking forward to his face when he finds out his own daughter pulled the rug under him lol:joy::mrgreen:

He would care less. He'd be proud his daughter is as conniving and power hungry as he is. But she does fear him, thre are glimpses of this when he talks to her. The actresses bae D and this Queen are so good, ppl giving them negative takes on their acting are plain wrong.

If Seo Bi was with the Prince and Team she would have immed'ly inferred the temperature aspect to them, but they are ready anyways so...

But it's fine, as her finding the purple flower plant (not sure how she is going to make that plant be useful again , it being the cause of the zombie creation) was important so ...

Coward Cho with zombies and Seo B again ...That man is destined to face zombies regularly, ha.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

God, this series has gripped moi!! Am thinking how the last shot again reflects the fear of the Prince , which he shows throughout - by gulping hard - when he is put in a scary situation, where he knows he has to fight both mentally and physically.

Every single time he is scared, he gulps - was in in the script I wonder. Would love to get a hold of the scripts for S1 in the correct English, not just G translate stuff.

And the prince is always shown to be the timid kind with no guidance whatsoever. The flash back scenes when he was a kid and wanting to escape, where was the King? What was the King upto if not looking after his son and guiding him. Is it because he was a concubine's son?

Was the king ill for a long time? Also the fact that the Prime Minister Cho was around when the prince was a kid, hence his kid daughter would also be around the Prince..the one who is the Queen now. And she is younger than the prince. Man, this whole set up is creepy vibes.

I wish I hadn't watched this series, it is really making me re-watch the episodes time and again. JJH is so so so attractive here in this role showing the right amount of fear, vulnerability and growth into strength , slowly surely.

It is good in a way that the zombies attack during sunlight but the team has been night weary and now they are on the alert 24 hrs which is a killer , that PM knows about. He wants the war against the epidemic to be in the turf of the Prince where he is now. Closing E and W gates , so that all from the South , infected and non, come to Sangju before heading North to Hanyang.  He wants the Prince to be a situation that he cannot handle and bring his own downfall. But, but, he does not know that the Prince has ground level experience against the Z, fighting for his life and for the villagers ever since  he left his palace - and growing into his own through this journey - becoming braver, bolder and an able statesman to lead his people. And this is where the PM will falter, though not completely. The Prince and team  will probably win this impending morning attack , but it will not be a complete annihilation of the Zombies and  prices will be paid I feel. 

I think the PM knows about the temperature dependency because there are shackles and chains in the Frozen Valley where the flowers are. Some one turned into  a zombie was chained there for ?? experimentation?? of bringing it back as human?? And the zombie would have been alive even during the day in that cold place...

Probably that doc Lee also knew??  Don't think Ahn knew..

• Like 4