[Upcoming Drama 2019-2021] Kingdom, 킹덤 - Joo Ji Hoon, Bae Doo Na - Netflix - One-Episode-Special to premiere in 2021

0ly40

On 1/25/2019 at 2:54 PM, triplem said:

Yay @lynne22 @bedifferent @sushilicious @Jillia @annie1234 @diane90 @liddi looking forward to reading  you all ...i think I must watch in bright light ..tomorrow afternoon :D 

@angelangie @staygold R u guys watching too ? 

I am yet to watch it. Thank you for reminding me! :cookie:

I have high expectations and going by all the comments I think I wont be disappointed!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@triplem Wow the Queen actress is really disliked, saying she doesn't look like a queen is a bit stupid because what did these people think rulers looked like? Supermodels?? It's a bit ridiculous...

And Bae Doo Na isn't liked too apparently: is there a controversy surounding her that I'm not aware of?

• Like 6

What? Boring? Are you guys sure you’re watching the same drama as me? This drama is amazing. Every scenes carried stories to move the plot forward. No unnecessary drama.

About the Queen, a bit agree with her acting a little awkward for “Queen role” but I won’t say to the extent of miscast. She is not the main focus though. And what happened with Bae Doo Na? I think the hatred towards her is because in my opinion, her character doesn’t have much to do with the plot (I am only in ep 4 now, gonna watch ep 5 and 6 tomorrow). Up until ep 4, she doen’t have any significant scene or role yet other than informing the Crown Prince about the zombies. Maybe that’s why Bae Doo Na couldn’t really show her acting skill. But it’s just my opinion.

• Like 8

I am curious about this drama. Netflix has been plugging it quite a bit but as a rule I don't do zombies.

If this is more or less in the vein of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or the Legend of Yunxi, I think I should be alright. However, if it's anything like Train to Busan, I'll have to give it a miss. I only lasted 14 minutes with Train to Busan. ;)

JJH starring in it is what's really piqued my interest.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I am curious about this drama. Netflix has been plugging it quite a bit but as a rule I don't do zombies.

If this is more or less in the vein of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or the Legend of Yunxi, I think I should be alright. However, if it's anything like Train to Busan, I'll have to give it a miss. I only lasted 14 minutes with Train to Busan. ;)

JJH starring in it is what's really piqued my interest.

I don't like horror movies but this one was definitely okay. 

• Like 4

I wish I had better a take on the first three episodes I watched but I dont! :unsure: This series doesn't offer anything new (so far ) if you have already watched the movie Rampant (except here you have a dubious queen along with her kinsman.) 

It seems like the characters stupidly walk into a mess every time. I can't believe this is same author who gave Signal.

Spoiler
  1. Don't look at the King -> Goes ahead and looks at him.
  2. See a heavily barred door and a house that clearly is fortified to prevent anyone from getting in or out -> Of course you have to remove all the bars and get in.
  3. Burn the bodies -> Nope, we ain't burning them. In fact we taking them with us inspite of the warning from the Prince himself!:sweatingbullets:

The title sequence of the series is beautiful but rest of the series doesn't have the same aesthetics. Sparks of good framing and great visuals show up in very few scenes - Riders on horses galloping to bring back the prince, and bodies being sunk into the palace lake. 

I am continuing the series for the love of JJH, BD and RSR. Also for the hope that like Signal, the author has something in store for us in later half of the story.

@triplem

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, staygold said:

Sparks of good framing and great visuals show up in very few scenes

We must appreciate and highlight the positive when we see it!!  B) And ep 4 action sequence amid fog and smoke is a gem! 

Spoiler

mflAN5c.jpg

hJhwSBJ.jpg

lMYw8DQ.jpg

cr: Netflix

@Sejabin Aren't you being too harsh! :lol: The prince born to a queen always outranks the one born to a concubine in all the historical dramas.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I am done with season 1 and I see what you did there writer -nim --- 'Winter is coming' :D

Very few thrills, but shall I watch next season? Of course for JJH and the cast! Bae Doona needs something meatier to bite into next season.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

How quickly 6 episodes fly by - with a narrative that is hard-hitting in pace, bolstered by spectacular cinematography and a strong ensemble cast. Kim Eun Hee brilliantly weaves the overriding theme of "hunger" throughout entire fabric of Kingdom's narrative - cutting across classes be it royalty, nobility or commoners, and species (humans, zombies). It is evident in Cho Hak Ju and the young Queen's insidious lust for power, Cho Hak Ju's unquenchable thirst for vengeance; Yi Chang's contemplation of treason in order to survive in the hotbed of royal intrigues hell bent on deposing and destroying him; the starving, desperate commoners driven to cannibalism (knowingly or otherwise) just to live one more day; all of which find physical manifestation in the zombies whose blind hunger and craving for flesh and blood becomes a virulent force that spirals out of control. 

The inflammatory notice that led to the wholesale purge of 89 Confucian scholars and the charge of treason against the Crown Prince is an interesting one:

活著用眼看用耳聽              Only he who is alive can see with his eyes, hear with his ears
用嘴說方才可能                 and speak with his mouth 
而現如今大王閉著眼          Whereas now, the king has closed his eyes,
堵著耳保持沉默                 blocked his ears and kept silent
這如何能說是活著             How can this be considered to be alive?
最終大王駕崩                    In the end, the king is dead
一股新風必將刮起             A new wind will surely blow.

While ostentatiously a piece that reeks of treason, it also serves as a commentary of the injustice that runs rampant in the land - when all have turned a blind eye and deaf ear to the atrocities that are happening, that one might as well be considered to be dead. Was it just an indictment against the weakness of the king who have abandoned his people, or was it also a critique towards those in power, who would/dare not voice out against the wrongdoings that are evident around them?

"How can humans eat humans?" I had always assumed from the trailer that Seo Bi was referring to the zombies, until I realised upon watching the drama, that it was something far more horrifying - that even before the zombie epidermic began, humans, not mindless creatures, were already devouring one another out of a desperate need to survive. And throughout the six episodes, the deliberate cruelty and sinister manipulations of the humans in the story far outweigh the rabid creatures in inducing revulsion, terror and despair.

One of the aspects I love most about the drama is how KEH remains very much in control of the narrative - when inconsistencies are shown later to be a deliberate aberration rather than a plothole. We see this in the timeline and symptoms of the infection - from the first victim to subsequent ones. We see this again amid the sinking realisation of what truly controls the creatures' waking hours, after assuming over 4+ episodes that the creatures only rouse at sundown. I guess that indicates that the weather in Dongnae is far warmer than Sangju, hence an even greater, present threat awaits our protagonists at the cliffhanger ending. I hope though that the fear of water remains unchanged. Likewise, in the 5-odd hours of the entire season, there is also a measured reveal in details that keep me intrigued, with no clear grasp of any one character's full motivations and alliances yet. Ahn Hyeon remains a mystery and one I hesitate to trust, with him harbouring many more secrets than he is letting on. He is not above lying to the Crown Prince with regards to knowing Yeong Shin, which in turn makes me wonder what else he is lying about, despite his kindly mentor role to the prince in his youth.

This is certainly not the first zombie occurrence in the land. The decisiveness with which Ahn Hyeon and his men dispatched the zombies makes me wonder how the Battle of Unpo Wetland was won against 30,000 Japanese soldiers with merely 500 soldiers. Bearing in mind that Physician Lee had brought someone back from the dead 3 years ago, was it during the Battle of Unpo Wetland? Were the mass graves in Sangju for the soldiers who died in battle, or the leper colony in 壽望村 Sumang Village (ironically translated to Hope of Longevity Village)? Could it be the leper colony was experimented on with the resurrection plant by Physician Lee, and unleashed upon the enemies? Are they then, the ones confined in Frozen Valley? If so, how did anyone manage to confine them there? Questions questions.

Cho Hak Ju and his ominous box at the first Pass of Myeongyeong gives rise to even more frightening speculations. Having confined the Crown Prince and the Sangju population who are being barricaded within, is he planning on unleashing a creature within the confines of the enforced barricade, intent that the Crown Prince and all he is giving his life to protect, will not survive?

Right now, I am of two minds about the young Queen - was she pregnant, but lost her child (as evidenced by the blood on her shoe which was immediately incinerated), or had her entire pregnancy been a sham? Either way, does Cho Hak Ju even know? However terrifying Cho Hak Ju is, I won't be surprised if she ultimately is the one who usurps the real power in spite of her father, and we might see a show of dominance between father and daughter play out down the road.

As much as the plot draws me in with its narrative, there is a sense of emotional detachment from the characters thus far which I feel let down by, perhaps because I have cared so deeply for the characters in KEH's previous dramas. Still, it is early days yet, and Season 1 feels like it is merely setting the scene for future reveals, so I will withhold my judgment until then. I am surprised with the criticism leveled at Kim Hye Jun's portrayal of the young Queen as I found her extremely effective in portraying a character whose menacing presence lies just beneath the surface, and is just as calculative and ambitious as her father. On the other hand, I am a little disappointed with Seo Bi's characterisation which is not very well fleshed out to date. Nonetheless, Bae Doona makes her an extremely likeable character and I love her interactions with the rest of the characters, particularly her lovesick suitor, so I look forward to seeing a far greater character arc down the road. The bromance between the Crown Prince and his guard is such a joy to behold, and I hope, hope that his guard is not the mole Ahn Hyeon hinted at, if indeed there was any mole to begin with.

And now, the wait begins once more for Season 2.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3

Two recent articles - KEH's interview elaborating her thoughts about how she hopes the zombies in her drama will be perceived; and Bae Doona addressing her initial attempts at sageuk speech - love Ryu Seung Ryeong's quip :D 

Writer Kim Eun Hee Talks About Netflix’s “Kingdom” + Future Genres She Wants To Try

Writer Kim Eun Hee Talks About Netflix’s “Kingdom” + Future Genres She Wants To Try

Jan 29, 2019
by L. Kim

Writer Kim Eun Hee discussed her Netflix series “Kingdom” and the genres she’s interested in writing about.

“Kingdom” is Korea’s first zombie sageuk (historical) drama. The cast includes Joo Ji HoonRyu Seung RyongBae DoonaKim Sang HoHeo Joon HoKim Sung KyuJeon Suk Ho, and Kim Hye Joon.

In an interview on January 28, Kim Eun Hee revealed she had been a fan of zombie films for a long time. The writer shared, “People are scared when they think of zombies. But I thought they were sad beings with a remaining strong instinct to eat. I thought that if you take the ‘epidemic disease,’ which is very contagious, and bring it to the miserable Joseon Dynasty, there could be an ironic story.”

In “Kingdom,” which was released to more than 190 countries through Netflix on January 25th, the people who become zombies due to a plague are as fast as Usain Bolt. There is a big difference from what we have seen in other zombies.

Kim Eun Hee explained, “I wanted to express hunger. If a family with a large number of members fights for a small fish, they must be quick. So even though they turn into zombies, the behaviors are similar [to when they were alive]. I hoped this kind of image would be seen with sadness.”

Recognized as “The Master of Genres,” Kim Eun Hee expressed her future desires, saying, “I want to do science fiction in the future, not romantic comedies.” She explained, “I don’t believe in love. Does it even exist?” She added, “There’s someone who is better at romantic comedies than I am. Writer Kim Eun Sook is a literary genius. Besides that [genre], I’ll do everything else I can.”

When asked if her close friend Kim Eun Sook congratulated her on her latest drama, Kim Eun Hee replied, “She came to the premiere and drank a lot. She said, ‘I’m proud of you.'”

“Kingdom” started airing on Netflix on January 25. The second season will begin producing in February.

Bae Doona On Acting In Netflix’s “Kingdom,” Her First Sageuk: “Joo Ji Hoon Laughed A Lot”

Bae Doona On Acting In Netflix’s “Kingdom,” Her First Sageuk: “Joo Ji Hoon Laughed A Lot”

Jan 26, 2019
by R. Jun

Bae Doona, Ryu Seung Ryong, and Joo Ji Hoon, stars of Netflix’s “Kingdom,” appeared on the January 25 broadcast of KBS 2TV’s “Weekly Entertainment.”

The new Netflix series — Korea’s first zombie sageuk (historical) drama — is Bae Doona’s first period piece. She said, “After doing my hair in the sageuk style, I was laughing for about 30 seconds. I’d never seen myself that way before. How must the viewers feel?”

Her first use of the sageuk tone and manner of speaking also had Joo Ji Hoon laughing, said Bae Doona. Joo Ji Hoon explained, “It was a tone and manner that I had never seen or heard before, but it was so fresh and I thought, ‘This is why she’s a world star.'”

kingdom-540x304.jpg

bae-doona-joo-ji-hoon-kingdom-540x360.jp

Bae Doona, surprised at Joo Ji Hoon’s unexpected praise, said, “He’s just making it sound nice. He laughed a lot.”

Ryu Seung Ryong joked, “Did you say your lines in English?”

Joo Ji Hoon also gave a shoutout to all the actors who the zombies in “Kingdom.” “I felt so sorry because it wasn’t easy for them, and they worked so hard. But even though we worked together for six months, I couldn’t tell who was who. I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you, and I’m sorry.”

The first season of “Kingdom” premiered on Netflix on January 25.

joo-ji-hoon-kingdom-2-540x310.jpg

joo-ji-hoon-kingdom-540x309.jpg

cr. Soompi

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh I LL miss JJH very much.  I am not ready for the zombies.  They look horrible.  :sweatingbullets:

Maybe OT:

Spoiler

When I was young I could not watch MJ 's thriller coz of those creatures. I would hide behind a curtain and peek if those creatures are there on the screen but I did see when they danced with MJ.:joy::tounge_wink:

Like @40somethingahjumma told, I was not able to watch TRAIN TO BUSAN even though I like GY so much.  I only saw the last scene where he rescues the kid and the preggy woman from him before he changed to a zombie coz of those creatures bites.

I am just reading soompiers posts just to get an idea of this drama.  Maybe will check if Dramamilk or any other blog is recapping this drama.  I will just be satisfied with that.:cry:

Actually how many episodes.  Everybody posting that season 1 is already over????:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I honestly can't speak to the authenticity or possible awkwardness of Bae Doona's diction in Kingdom, but I personally do not find any issues with her performance, and am definitely looking forward to be reunited with her and the rest of the cast again in Season 2. Please let it be soon!

Bae Doona Humbly Responds To Criticism For Her Acting In “Kingdom”

Bae Doona Humbly Responds To Criticism For Her Acting In “Kingdom”

Jan 31, 2019
by sala12

Bae Doona talked about the criticism she received for her acting in “Kingdom.”

In an interview on January 31, the actress talked about the Netflix original series. Korea’s first zombie sageuk (historical) drama “Kingdom” is a six-part series with the first season having premiered on January 25.

Actress Bae Doona attempted a sageuk drama for the first time with “Kingdom.” She has taken on the role of a nurse who is looking for the source of the plague. Her character Seo Bi is the disciple of physician Lee Hee Seung, who was in charge of curing the king’s disease. She is also one of the only survivors and one of the first to witness the situation in which the starving people transform into monsters due to the plague.

When asked about how she felt about seeing herself in a sageuk for the first time in 20 years, Bae Doona said, “Even when I saw myself [acting], it was funny and embarrassing. I didn’t feel anything while filming, but it was funny when I saw it. From the beginning, I thought, ‘How strange will it feel for viewers when they see me [like this]?’ Even before I signed the contract to star in the drama, I felt that they will undeniably feel, if not shocked, awkward and unfamiliar with the situation. I was at a crossroads of whether I will take on this burden and not play it safe. I thought though that I should become stronger if I wanted to act for even longer and decided ‘I should just go for it.'”

Bae-Doona.jpg

Bae Doona also talked about how she focused on making and developing her character for the drama, saying she practiced the sageuk tone that has been receiving criticism. She even mentioned how she asked her mother who is a theater actress to help her with her acting. When she thought about her character who was an orphan that the physician raised as a nurse, she had to add in some distinguishing character features, which made her decide to give up the usual sageuk tone, replacing it with the tone of how the gentry spoke. She added that the director liked the idea although she expected criticism from the public.

When asked whether she is upset about receiving criticism for her acting for the first time since debut, she replied, “I’m not upset in the slightest.” She added honestly, “My acting has always been either loved or hated. Directors who like me like [my acting] a lot, and directors who don’t like me hate my acting. I think that it’s personal preference whether a person likes someone’s acting.”

The actress also explained, “Even when I received good reviews, I never thought that I did that well. Having experienced an acting controversy for the first time, I tried to balance out my feelings by thinking, ‘It wasn’t [bad] to that extent.'” She added, “On one hand, I thought, ‘You should experience [criticism] too.’ On the other hand, I’m proud that I tried this even though I knew there would be criticism. I thought that it’s cool to boldly try something I’m bad at. Actually, these days, I feel uncomfortable when I receive praise.”

On the second season, Bae Doona said that she will take into consideration the feedback she has received from the audience. While she believes she shouldn’t waiver based on feedback, she thinks that she still needs to fix the parts that made the audience uncomfortable, and the final confirmation will still be up to the director.

The second season for “Kingdom” is scheduled to start filming on February 11.

cr. Soompi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bae Doo Na, Joo Ji Hoon Allure Korea February 2019 Interview

bdn_jjh_allurefeb19_1.jpg?w=697&h=1&crop=1bdn_jjh_allurefeb19_1.jpg?w=697&h=1&crop

The only thing you will need to watch the most anticipated show of 2019 is a NETFLIX ID. The premiere…nope, release of drama Kingdom 킹덤, starring Joo Ji-hoon and Bae Doo-na is not that far away.

Joo Ji-hoon and Bae Doo-na’s Brave New World

The NETFLIX we all know in our memories was just a streaming platform, but in the blink of an eye, NETFLIX suddenly became a huge producer of original movies and dramas. With a daring investment, the platform announced that it would be producing an original drama series together with Writer Kim Eun-hee and Director Kim Sung-hoon, and casting both Joo Ji-hoon and Bae Doo-na, two huge names in Korean entertainment industry, only attracted huge interest in and anticipation for the series. The Joseon Dynasty where the dead king comes alive and the country is infested with mysterious epidemic, causing its citizens to be awakened as monsters. We are curious on what the two actors have to say about the drama. The 6-episode drama Kingdom has been released worldwide on January 25th.

bdn_jjh_allurefeb19_3.jpg?w=863

Joo Ji-hoon, the Crown Prince who is digging for the truth

What was the best part of receiving the offer for Kingdom?

I was a fan of Writer Kim Eun-hee and Director Kim Sung-hoon’s projects. As he worked together with the director and Bae Doo-na in the movie Tunnel, actor Ha Jung-woo even visited our filming set. The feeling I had at that moment was very nice, and it was fun to work together. I am also a NETFLIX subscriber.

Actor Ryu Seung-ryong portrayed an influential politician who holds bigger authority than the king himself, while you were playing Yi Chang, a Crown Prince aiming to unfold the mystery behind the plague. What did you pay attention to most when you were acting?

Be it hostile relations between the two characters or the heartfelt scenes, they were all written very well in the scripts. Since there is a vast difference between seeing things as an outsider of this era and actually becoming a person of the past, I worked hard to understand that part.

The production team and the casting made a huge uproar in the news. Did you feel any stress with regard to that?

The whole team worked together, bringing out all their skills and crafts to produce something new; from the stunt director and the camera team to the actors, so there were moments which could cause stress. Mother Nature and the weather are some of them, but I am happy because we were able to overcome it together.

Every project has its own message. What do you think of the message that this series carries?

I think this story carries the issue of management problems present in every society. It is a story of problems stemming from the different ideas of the government authorities and its rival. This subject matter will make us think over the problem again, and for that reason, I think it is a huge success as a part of Kingdom’s team.

What was the most exciting scene to you?

There was a battle scene overflowing with tension. It was a battle in which everyone was fighting with all their might to survive, and with that strong will to escape the zombies, Bae Doo-na charged at one of them and killed it with a hoe. It was extremely gruesome but at the same time, I felt really bad. It was always fun to shoot the scenes and be able to properly show the hell on Earth through the drama.

Were the action scenes important for the drama?

We did shoot several large-scale chase scenes for a while. The Crown Prince’s view on the world got changed a bit, and there were also scenes in which Yi Chang and his retinues put their utmost effort in rescuing everyone from the attack. They were both physically and mentally draining. The animals also went out and we were shooting in the mountains. The feelings were unimaginable as we were filming for a long time, giving our best. It was hard enough to ride a horse, but we even had to run along with the horses. All the staff were extremely nervous, since we won’t even know where the horses would run to if they were stressed.

How did you approach the view of world in Kingdom? It is an important aspect for a mystery thriller genre like this.

There is this one thing from an actor’s point of view. There is no doubt that an actor has to act well and do his best at that, but apart from just having ‘a character in a good project’, there is also ‘a character you have fun portraying’. But then, Kingdom’s story alone is really interesting, and it is not easy to meet a project like that. That itself is a real charming point of the drama.

It was not a single movie but a 6-part drama. Was there any difference when you read the script?

By the look of it, instead of a 2-hour movie, it would be like watching how the story unfolds in 6 parts under 6 hours. There were lines in the script that would inform the audience about what would be happening. From an actor’s point of view, it was not easy, because there is no way you can choose a single way between explaining the scenes and portraying them through certain feelings. There were difficult moments as well when I filmed other projects before this, but I truly understood the difficulty through Kingdom. I am glad I got to grow closer to acting through Kingdom.

How does it feel to work together with Director Kim Sung-hoon? What do you feel would be the director’s strength?

Director Kim is someone you can converse with comfortably, even if the conversation involves difficult and tricky things. The things you thought would make others feel bad or uncomfortable, but he would always say, “Should we put our effort together and give it a try?” He is like a scholar who possesses this unexplained energy, a real gentleman. He can achieve the quality he aims for because he is a kind and composed guy.

It is a project famous for the featured zombies.

The zombies were demons to us, but they were once someone’s friend’s mother, friend, wife, and child. Although they were totally unrelated, they became infected as an effect of the power struggle. It was truly a sad and unfortunate thing happening to them. If this happen to take place in reality, it would be a natural instinct to stay alive and survive the whole thing, but it would not be easy at all to hurt them for the sake of my own survival.

How did you find acting with the zombies?

We called them ‘zombie family’ on the set. I always thought, “It must be really difficult for the zombie family.” They had to withstand the intense cold and heat, put on nasty make up for the roles, and stood in gruesome places for the scenes. It could be taxing on them, both physically and mentally. In the running scenes, we all had to run but they had to run like how zombies would. Our zombie family worked so hard, so it would be nice if that point could be shown vividly in the drama.

bdn_jjh_allurefeb19_2.jpg?w=863

Bae Doo-na, the female nurse who hold the truth to the epidemic

What was the best part of receiving the offer for Kingdom?

There was no reason why I should not do it. It was a great experience working together with Director Kim Sung-hoon in the movie Tunnel. I would make an appearance even it was just an offer for a small role, so I joined the cast with a happy heart.

What is your thought on working with the director for your second time? Is there any difference?

I have absolute trust and faith in the director. He is someone who will not give up even the smallest thing. He is someone who will do his best; instead of doing things half-heartedly, he would see it to the end in order to produce the great scene he has in his vision. I starred in NETFLIX’s original series Sense8 previously, and just like Sense8, Kingdom is also a 6-part series that resembles a 2-part movie. There is a line differentiating a drama and a movie, and it could be a tricky thing for a director to approach. However, I trust Director Kim’s craft to produce a great project.

This would be your first attempt at a historical project.

It is a difficult decision for me as well. I have neither acted in a historical project nor put my hair up into the traditional bun, but I wondered if people were anticipating to see me in one. So I made up my mind and put full trust in the director, thinking, “I’ll risk it all this time.” There was one difficult thing about filming this, though; it was the cold weather. My character is a female nurse named Seo-bi. Since she was not a noble woman, I had to wear linen clothes and it got hard because of the harsh cold. Just like English, the historical tone was something new to me, and I learned a lot.

Was there anything you prepared beforehand for the character of Seo-bi?

I had to prepare a lot for my previous projects up until now. I trained for the role of a fighter in Sense8 and received stunt lessons for a few years, plus playing various athlete in archery, table tennis, and volleyball, had me preparing in advance for the roles. It has been a while for me to be able to start filming as it is like this time.

How did you find working with other actors through this project?

All the cast have nice personality. They are all fun people, but the mood maker on the set was no other than Joo Ji-hoon. The whole team had lots of difficulties filming various scenes like the battle scene, but he put out efforts to make it more comfortable for everyone. He would joke around a lot, and 90% of his words were jokes. Thanks to him, the mood was really great.

Writer Kim Eun-hee mentioned that Seo-bi and Yeong-shin (portrayed by actor Kim Seong-gyu) would be the characters showing the lives of commoners in Kingdom.

Although they were from the same class and background, these two characters’ ideals clashed with each other: Yeong-shin was an aggressive man who did so for his survival, while Seo-bi was a calm person who preferred to solve problems rationally using logical means. They were not compatible with each other, yet when the zombies ran rampant, they were forced to work together as a team in the midst of the crisis, causing them to identify with each other. There was also this bond of being in the same class of commoners. There were the Crown Prince and the noblemen, but only Seo-bi and Yeong-shin wore straw slippers and filthy clothes, so they kind of looked like siblings too.

What was your character’s biggest charm?

Seo-bi was the commoner who lived on the land where the people set their foot on for the first time. She protected her own life and lived without relying on the people with status over her. Because of that reason, she was one strong character. Plus, I liked how she had her own stories with the other commoners in the drama.

cr. Korean Screen 

• Like 5

As a kid, watched Chinese zombie movies.  And, they hopped like bunny rabbits.

As a teenager, watched American zombie movies. And, they plodded, in walking.

Now, watching Korean zombies.  And, they run supersonic fast.

Go figure, learn something new everyday. :tongue:

• LOL 6

People, the root of a nation, are dying of hunger, and it's those hungry people who later become zombies.
It's set in Joeseon, but it's not that different from what we are experiencing today.

Credit. Bae Donna

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@lynne22 Thank you so much for sharing the featurette! I had been wondering if they would release any BTSes for the drama and am thrilled to see it. Please let there be more to come.

Wonder why Kim Seong Hun PD is not on board for Season 2... is there any indication who will be helming the next season? Whoever it is, I truly hope there is continuity in aesthetics and direction, delivering yet another stellar production.

• Like 2
  • Love 1