[Upcoming Drama 2019-2021] Kingdom, 킹덤 - Joo Ji Hoon, Bae Doo Na - Netflix - One-Episode-Special to premiere in 2021

0ly40

Congratulations to the Kingdom S2 production team for winning 3 awards at the Asia Contents Awards 2020 - Best writer (Kim Eun Hee), Best Actor (Joo Ji Hoon) and Technical Achievement Award (MADMANPOST of Kingdom S2 visual effects)! Truly well deserved! And Joo Ji Hoon mentions Kingdom S3... hope it's in the works and will be a reality soon!

Kim Hee Ae, Joo Ji Hoon, “Kingdom” Writer Kim Eun Hee, And More Win At 2020 Asia Contents Awards

Kim Hee Ae, Joo Ji Hoon, “Kingdom” Writer Kim Eun Hee, And More Win At 2020 Asia Contents Awards

Oct 25, 2020
by U. Kim

The winners of the 2020 Asia Contents Awards were announced!

The Asia Contents Awards, which began in 2019, honors dramas from Asian countries. This year, there were 10 categories and 21 awards. 75 dramas from 17 countries were submitted, and of those, 28 dramas from 12 countries were selected as nominees.

On October 25, the 2020 Asia Contents Awards live streamed their ceremony, which was held online due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Only the hosts (2PM’s Nichkhun and 2019 Miss Korea Kim Se Yeon) and performers (Lovelyz and Kim Jae Hwan) were present at the venue, and the presenters and winners all participated remotely via video.

Kim Hee Ae took home the honor of Best Actress for her acting in JTBC’s “The World of the Married.” She said, “Thank you. It was an honor to work with such great actors like Park Hae Joon and Han So Hee, and I hope to see them through another project again. Director Mo Wan Il and writer Joo Hyun created the best drama. I’ll look forward to their next one. I owe it to my fans who supported me, and I always know that you’re cheering me on. Thank you so much, and I love you all.”

Best Actor went to Joo Ji Hoon for his performance in Netflix’s “Kingdom S2.” He said in his speech, “First, I hope you are healthy. To Netflix, the staff, and actors who created ‘Kingdom,’ thank you so, so much. I’m currently filming for writer Kim Eun Hee’s ‘Mount Jiri‘ (working title), and since I was given such great news in the midst of it, I’ll work harder during the filming with a content heart. Please look forward to ‘Kingdom S3.'”

Director Mo Wan Il of “The World of the Married” won the Best Creative award, and he shared, “Last October, exactly at this time of the year, we began filming. At the time, we were nervous and unsure whether we’d be able to complete the drama well, but the many anxious hearts bore fruit and touched the viewers’ hearts, and I’m very glad about that. JTBC will continue to approach you with exciting dramas.”

Screenwriter Kim Eun Hee of “Kingdom S2” took home the Best Writer award, and she expressed, “Thank you for giving me such a great award. When I first thought up ‘Kingdom,’ I thought it would be impossible to bring it to life as a drama. I thank the staff at Netflix, who helped make that dream of mine come true. I’ve been creating ‘Kingdom’ for over three years. I thank the directors, and I hope that our precious actors, who are like a family now, will reach the finish line we’ve promised to reach. The most important zombie actors, thank you so much. I also thank the staff who work hard under difficult conditions on set, and I will work harder to write a script that is worthy of them.”

“When the Camellia Blooms” received Best Asian Drama, and the drama’s director Cha Young Hoon shared, “Thank you for giving us a big award. It’s been about a year since the drama finished airing, and receiving this great award is moving. I thank writer Kim Sang Choon who wrote a nice drama, the actors including Gong Hyo Jin and Kang Ha Neul, and the viewers who laughed and cried with our drama.”

Jeon Mi Do took home the Best Newcomer Award for her acting in tvN’s “Hospital Playlist.” The actress said, “To those who gave me this meaningful award and the viewers who loved the character Chae Song Hwa, thank you so much. I would also like to thank director Shin Won Ho, who allowed me to have a fantastic experience, writer Lee Woo Jung, the ’99s’ friends, and all other actors and staff.”

Check out the full list of winners here:

Best Creative: Dai Ying of “The Bad Kids” (China), Mo Wan Il of “The World of the Married” (Korea)

Best Asian Drama: “Last Madame” (Singapore), “When the Camellia Blooms” (Korea)

Best Actress: Kim Hee Ae of “The World of the Married” (Korea), Kuroki Haru of “Nagi’s Long Vacation” (Japan)

Best Actor: Joseph Chang of “The Victims’ Game” (Taiwan), Joo Ji Hoon of “Kingdom S2” (Korea)

Best Writer: Kim Eun Hee of “Kingdom S2” (Korea)

Best Newcomer (Female): Plearnpichaya Komalarajun of “One Year” (Thailand), Jeon Mi Do of “Hospital Playlist” (Korea)

Best Newcomer (Male): Rong Zi Shan of “The Bad Kids” (China), Paris Intarakomalyasut of “In Family We Trust” (Thailand)

Technical Achievement Award: MADMANPOST of “Kingdom S2” visual effects (Korea)

Best Rising Star: Dilireba of “Eternal Love of Dream” (China), Kirti Kulhari, Sayani Gupta, Maanvi Gagroo, Gurbani Judge of “Four More Shots Please! S2” (India), Ririn Dwi Ariyanti of “Dewi” (Indonesia)

Lifetime Achievement Award: ABS-CBN (Philippines), AMUSE INC. of “Midnight Diner” (Japan)

Excellence Award: Araki Yuko (Japan)

Congratulations to all of the winners!

cr. Soompi

@stella77Awesome news indeed! Joo Jihoon won't be in this spinoff (not surprisingly since it is Ashin's spinoff episode), but it is written by Kim Eunhee (of course!) and directed by Kingdom S1 PD Kim Sung Hoon, with the cast said to include Park Byungeun and Koo Kyohwan. Can't wait! Hopefully S3 will entail soon too, though the two JJHs are working on Mount Jiri, so not sure if it's feasible. 

• Wiggle 1

“Kingdom” To Release Special Episode Centering Around Jun Ji Hyun’s Character

“Kingdom” To Release Special Episode Centering Around Jun Ji Hyun’s Character

Nov 2, 2020
by S. Nam

Netflix’s “Kingdom” will be releasing a special episode for Jun Ji Hyun’s character Ashin!

The popular zombie drama will be returning with the special one-episode bonus story “Kingdom: Ashin of the North.” As an extension of “Kingdom” season two, “Kingdom: Ashin of the North” will be about Ashin, the mysterious figure Lee Chang’s (Joo Ji Hoon‘s) party encountered while heading north on their search for the secret behind the resurrection plant. Jun Ji Hyun’s character became a hot topic after appearing in the ending of season two, and Ashin’s mysterious background will finally be revealed through the upcoming episode. In addition to the story of Ashin, the heir to the Northern Yeojin tribe village, the episode will tell the origin story of the resurrection plant.

Park Byung Eun, who left a strong impression as the head of the Royal Commandery Min Chi Rok in “Kingdom” season two, will also be appearing in the special episode. Viewers are curious to discover what happened to Ashin, who used to live in the North, and how Min Chi Rok’s and Ashin’s fates are intertwined.

park-byung-eun.jpg

The special episode will be helmed by director Kim Sung Hoon, who was in charge of the general production of seasons one and two of “Kingdom.” Scriptwriter Kim Eun Hee, who wrote the first two seasons of “Kingdom,” will also be participating in the writing of the special episode. The episode will be co-produced by BA Entertainment and Studio Dragon.

“Kingdom: Ashin of the North” starring Jun Ji Hyun and Park Byung Eun will be available to people all over the globe through Netflix in 2021.

Watch the trailer below!

In the meantime, watch Jun Ji Hyun in “The Legend of the Blue Sea” here:

WATCH NOW

Source (1)

cr. Soompi
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Kingdom is included in New York Times' Best International Shows of 2020!

Kim Sung-kyu in “Kingdom,” a South Korean zombie thriller.
Kim Sung-kyu in “Kingdom,” a South Korean zombie thriller.Credit...Juhan Noh/Netflix

‘Kingdom’ (Netflix)

Along with the feature films “Train to Busan” and “Peninsula,” this spirited mix of fast-moving monsters and royal skulduggery puts South Korea at the forefront of the action-zombie genre. In Season 2, while the male characters exerted a lot of frantic effort to save the kingdom of Joseon from the treacherous and the undead, Bae Doona and Kim Hye-jun shone as the plucky peasant doctor trying to contain a plague and the sociopathic queen who refused to hand over power. (Streaming on Netflix.)

cr. New York Times

• Like 1

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2019-2021] Kingdom, 킹덤 - Joo Ji Hoon, Bae Doo Na - Netflix - One-Episode-Special to premiere in 2021
  • 1 month later...

Screenwriter Kim Eun Hee Shares Details About “Kingdom: Ashin Of The North”

Screenwriter Kim Eun Hee Shares Details About “Kingdom: Ashin Of The North”

Feb 25, 2021
by L. Kim

The screenwriter of “Kingdom” has dropped some hints about the bonus story “Kingdom: Ashin of the North”!

On February 25, screenwriter Kim Eun Hee and director Kim Sung Hoon participated in the Netflix content road show “See What’s Next Korea 2021.”

Kim Sung Hoon said, “The two ‘Kingdom’ seasons were introduced in January 2019 and March 2020. There were enthusiastic reactions from around the world. It was exciting, unfamiliar, and exhilarating to experience the results in real time. I was worried that ‘Kingdom’ would be foreign to others, but I think there was more synergy abroad. Netflix has become a supporter and ally that is fearless, disruptive, and unbiased when it comes to new attempts.”

Kim Eun Hee added, “I was worried a lot, but the viewers showed a favorable response, which gave me a lot of motivation to make good content.”

Regarding her choice to make a special episode instead of a third season, she explained, “We cannot leave out the story of the saengsacho (the resurrection plant). I decided to go with a special episode because I thought it would be more interesting.” Kim Sung Hoon added, “If the first season served as the cornerstone of the world, ‘Kingdom: Ashin of the North’ will be a stepping stone to go beyond ‘Kingdom 3.'”

The special episode will be centering around Jun Ji Hyun’s character Ashin, the mysterious figure Lee Chang’s (Joo Ji Hoon‘s) party encountered while heading north on their search for the secret behind the saengsacho. During the discussion, Kim Eun Hee unveiled new stills of Jun Ji Hyun as Ashin, and she shared, “As you may have guessed from her attire, she is the heir of the Northern Yeojin tribe village who lives near the Yalu River. It would be nice if you think of her as the person who is closest to the secret of the saengsacho.”

jun-ji-hyun-2.jpgjun-ji-hyun-1.jpg

Kim Sung Hoon said, “There’s no need to explain Jun Ji Hyun, who plays the role of Ashin. She is an actress who received so much for the past 20 years. When we filmed the first scene in Jeju Island, I, as well as the other staff members, could see why she was so admired for all those years. You will be able to see her charm in ‘Kingdom: Ashin of the North.'”

The director added that they finished filming the special episode and are preparing it for broadcast. He shared, “It’s likely to be released within this year.”

cr. Soompi

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BLACKPINK And Kim Eun Hee Featured In Variety’s List Of Women That Have Made An Impact In Global Entertainment

BLACKPINK And Kim Eun Hee Featured In Variety’s List Of Women That Have Made An Impact In Global Entertainment

Mar 8, 2021
by S. Nam

BLACKPINK and Kim Eun Hee were recognized for leaving their marks in the global entertainment industry!

On March 4, BLACKPINK and writer Kim Eun Hee, who penned the Netflix original drama “Kingdom,” were featured in Variety’s “Women That Have Made an Impact in Global Entertainment” list. The list includes a total of 54 people, and it was published to celebrate International Women’s Day on March 8. The list also features Chinese actress Gong Li, British-Albanian singer Dua Lipa, Hollywood star Cate Blanchett, and more.

Regarding BLACKPINK’s influence, Variety wrote that the group had “made a splash in 2019,” and that “the past year has seen them cement their superstardom — in a lockdown year, without touring.” Variety mentioned that BLACKPINK had topped iTunes charts in 57 regions with “THE ALBUM,” held an online concert, and released the documentary “BLACKPINK: Light Up the Sky.” Variety praised, “Their popularity knows no borders.”

Variety also introduced Kim Eun Hee as a writer who “created Netflix hit series ‘Kingdom,’ into which she folded two hot genres — historical drama and zombie action thriller.” They added, “Aware of the rapid evolution of what is possible in Korean scripted TV, Kim says she also wants to grow old feistily.” Variety included a quote from writer Kim Eun Hee about her respect for Youn Yuh Jung. The writer stated, “I am energized whenever I see [‘Minari’ star] Youn Yuh Jung. She is still walking an unrivaled path. It is admirable to see someone challenge and expand their boundaries regardless of age.”

The list also includes Kim Min Young among “(The Women of) Netflix” as the VP of content in South Korea, Southeast Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. VP Kim Min Young received praise for raising the quality of South Korean content through “Kingdom” and the film “Space Sweepers.”

cr. Soompi

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/netflix-confirms-july-23rd-release-date-for-kingdom-ashin-of-the-north
NETFLIX CONFIRMS JULY 23RD RELEASE DATE FOR KINGDOM: ASHIN OF THE NORTH

6E59C14E-3D2B-4B96-9B15-DDDABAF8C3BB.jpg

03 June 2021

NETFLIX CONFIRMS JULY 23RD RELEASE DATE FOR KINGDOM: ASHIN OF THE NORTH

SEOUL, JUNE 4TH 1PM KST, 2021- Netflix has confirmed July 23rd as the release date of Kingdom: Ashin of the North, a special episode that will expand the horizons of the Kingdom series, a much loved Netflix Series created by Korean storytellers. This special episode reveals the origins of the resurrection plant that triggered the avalanche of tragic events that swept through Joseon and a woman abandoned by all - Ashin.

Recently released footage begins with young Ashin holding a torch and entering an eerie cave in the dark. Inside, she discovers strange markings on a rock along with the mysterious resurrection plant. The accompanying copy reads, “to revive the dead, a price must be paid.” Thus begins the intriguing backstory of the epidemic, unveiling how the resurrection plant that grows in the northern regions traveled down to wreak havoc on Joseon land.

Kingdom: Ashin of the North will be directed by Kim Seong-hun, who directed and oversaw the production of the first season of Kingdom. Writer Kim Eun-hee, who scripted the two seasons, also returned to pen an epic story of Kingdom: Ashin of the North. Gianna Jun who made a striking appearance as the adult Ashin at the end of Season 2, returns to appease the viewers clamoring for more of her intriguing character. Kim Sia, who has impressed with her skilled acting in The House of Us and Miss Baek, will portray Ashin as a child. Park Byung-eun reprises his role as Min Chi-rok, the Head of the Royal Commandery Division who helped Crown Prince Lee Chang in fending off the infected from infiltrating the royal palace. Kingdom: Ashin of the North tells the tale of the mysterious new figure Ashin and the origins of the epidemic that revived the dead king and led to the devastation of the Joseon kingdom.

An expanded backstory of how it all began, Kingdom: Ashin of the North will be released to worldwide audiences on July 23rd, only on Netflix.

Production Information
Title: Kingdom: Ashin of the North
Directed by: Kim Seong-hun
Written by: Kim Eun-hee
Starring: Gianna Jun, Park Byung-eun, Kim Sia, et al.
Produced by: Baram Pictures, B.A. Entertainment, Studio Dragon
Distributed by: Netflix
Release Date: July 23, 2021

Discover the Origins of the Epidemic
The Mystery Behind Ashin and the Resurrection Plant Revealed
[ Photo link  ]

# # #
About Netflix
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with 208 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

• 2 weeks later...

“Kingdom: Ashin Of The North” Starring Jun Ji Hyun Shares Glimpse Of A Mysterious Adventure In Teaser Posters

“Kingdom: Ashin Of The North” Starring Jun Ji Hyun Shares Glimpse Of A Mysterious Adventure In Teaser Posters

Jun 14, 2021
by L. Kim

“Kingdom: Ashin of the North” is gearing up for its highly-anticipated premiere!

As an extension of “Kingdom” season two, “Kingdom: Ashin of the North” will be about Ashin, the mysterious figure Lee Chang’s (Joo Ji Hoon‘s) party encountered while heading north on their search for the secret behind the resurrection plant. Jun Ji Hyun’s character became a hot topic after appearing in the ending of season two, and Ashin’s mysterious background will finally be revealed through this special episode. In addition to the story of Ashin, the heir to the Northern Yeojin tribe village, the episode will tell the origin story of the resurrection plant.

On June 14, Netflix unveiled five teaser posters that preview the mysterious and thrilling story of Ashin and the resurrection plant. The posters feature a young Ashin (Kim Si Ah), the adult version of Ashin, a purple flower that is called the resurrection plant, a scarred tiger, and a frightening pile of bodies. These five images are related to the huge tragedy that strikes Joseon, and the description on the posters read, “Death that will swallow Joseon is blossoming.”

kingdom-5.jpg

kindgom-1.jpg

Spoiler

kingdom-41.jpg

kingdom-31.jpg

kingdom-22.jpg

“Kingdom: Ashin of the North” will be helmed by director Kim Sung Hoon, who was in charge of the general production of seasons one and two of “Kingdom.” Scriptwriter Kim Eun Hee, who wrote the first two seasons of “Kingdom,” will also be participating in the writing of the special episode. The episode will be co-produced by BA Entertainment and Studio Dragon.

cr. Soompi

• Blob 1

Jun Ji Hyun’s “Kingdom: Ashin Of The North” Teases Action-Packed Story With New Poster

Jun Ji Hyun’s “Kingdom: Ashin Of The North” Teases Action-Packed Story With New Poster

Jun 17, 2021
by E. Cha

“Kingdom: Ashin of the North” has released an intriguing new poster!

An extension of “Kingdom” Season 2, “Kingdom: Ashin of the North” is a special episode dedicated to Jun Ji Hyun’s character Ashin, whom Lee Chang (Joo Ji Hoon)’s party encountered on their journey north at the end of the season.

Not only will the special will reveal the backstory of the mysterious Ashin, but it will also tell the origin story of the resurrection plant, which was discovered by the young Ashin (played by Kim Si Ah). 

In the newly released poster, the now fully grown Ashin stands alone as she gazes out at a cold landscape surrounded by black smoke and fire. Armed with a bow and arrow, she prepares to face the oncoming cavalcade on her own.

Meanwhile, the poster’s caption ominously reads, “Ashin, the beginning of death,” raising the question of what kind of fate awaited the young Ashin after she discovered the resurrection plant.

Kingdom-Ashin-of-the-North.jpeg

“Kingdom: Ashin of the North” will be released on July 23. Check out a teaser for the special here!

cr. Soompi

• 2 weeks later...

https://zapzee.net/2021/06/30/netflix-is-dropping-another-special-episode-of-kingdom/
Netflix Is Dropping Another Special Episode of ‘Kingdom’

by Kim Da In

AD126E60-11C3-4F25-8342-5326803A87AA.jpg
Credit: Netflix

While Kingdom: Ashin of the North is gearing up to release on July 23rd, Netflix is dropping the second special episode of the show, Kingdom: The Crown Prince (working title). 

According to the industry insider, on the 29th, the newly planned episode will tell the main character, crown prince Lee Chang’s story in-depth. Born as the son of a royal concubine, he has not been treated like a crown prince since. However, by confronting the zombies, he steadily gains his power as a monarch. Thus, this upcoming special episode focus on what happened in his past and what will happen next in his life.

Screenwriter Kim Eun Hee will be in charge of the scripts, and Ju Ji Hoon will continue to play the main character. When it will begin its production is still under discussion.

With this new unique project between the main seasons, Kingdom has broadened the drama’s universe. Recently, Kim Min Young, Netflix’s contents director of Korea and Asia-Pacific Region, revealed, “Ashin of the North will broaden the show’s universe. It will bring you exclusive entertainment as one of Kingdom’s brand”

Source (1)
Translator Kim Da In: I will provide exciting news of K-pop and K-dramas and Korean entertainment-related news.

• Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

Jun Ji Hyun Prepares For Battle In “Kingdom: Ashin Of The North”

Jun Ji Hyun Prepares For Battle In “Kingdom: Ashin Of The North”

Jul 1, 2021
by E. Cha

“Kingdom: Ashin of the North” has shared a new sneak peek of its action-packed story!

An extension of “Kingdom” Season 2, “Kingdom: Ashin of the North” is a special episode dedicated to Jun Ji Hyun’s character Ashin, whom Lee Chang (Joo Ji Hoon)’s party encountered on their journey north at the end of the season.

Not only will the special will reveal the backstory of the mysterious Ashin, but it will also tell the origin story of the resurrection plant, which was discovered by the young Ashin (played by Kim Si Ah). 

In newly released stills from the upcoming 92-minute special episode, the young Ashin accidentally stumbles upon the resurrection plant in a forbidden area near the Joseon border. She also ends up finding records related to the plant, which eventually leads to a whirlwind of tragedy that washes over the entire kingdom.

In discovering the resurrection plant, the young Ashin unintentionally changes the course of history—and the other stills feature glimpses of the story to come. Amidst the cold, gloomy landscape of the north, Joseon soldiers protecting the border are threatened by outside forces, raising the question of what will unfold in this bleak terrain.

Meanwhile, once she is all grown up, Ashin proves a force to be reckoned with. With a melancholy gaze that hints at the tragedy she faced as a child, Ashin is ready to take vengeance on those who destroyed her world.

Spoiler

Kingdom-Ashin-of-the-North.jpgKingdom-Ashin-of-the-North-2.jpg

“Kingdom: Ashin of the North” will be released on July 23. Check out a teaser for the upcoming special here!

cr. Soompi

@Helena A Yi-Chang special episode? Is it serving as a 2nd filler before S3, in which case, does this mean S3 will only be available in 2022 after all? Kim Eun Hee is definitely keeping busy this year... with Mount Jiri, Ashin, S3 and now another Yi Chang special episode.

• Like 1