[Upcoming Drama 2019-2021] Kingdom, 킹덤 - Joo Ji Hoon, Bae Doo Na - Netflix - One-Episode-Special to premiere in 2021

0ly40

Netflix Drama

Kingdom

DtdHx33UcAALgTH.jpg:large

킹덤

Network: Netflix

Episodes: 6 (season 1)

Season 1Release Date: January 25th, 2019

Season 2 Release Date: March 13th, 2020

Director: Kim Sung-Hoon

Writer: Kim Eun-Hee (webcomic & screenplay), Yang Kyung-Il (cartoon)

Season 2 poster

Imagen

Synopsis

The Crown Prince of Joseon investigates a mysterious epidemic disease and uncovers a cruel truth which threatens the country.

Cast

Ju Ji-Hoon - Crown Prince

Bae Doo-Na - Seo-Bi

Ryoo Seung-Ryong - Jo Hak-Joo

Kim Sang-Ho

Heo Jun-Ho

Jun Suk-Ho

Notes

1. Based on the webcomic “Burning Hell Shinui Nara” by Kim Eun-Hee (writer) & Yang Kyung-Il (illustrator) (first published July 23, 2015 by RHK).
  2. Song Joong-Ki was first offered the lead role, but declined.
  3. Traditional Buddhist gosa ceremony took place October 16, 2017 to bring about good fortune for the project and filming began at the end of October, 2017 at a set in Andong, South Korea.

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, Youtube, etc.. should be reported to their respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  Viki, Viu,Dramafever, ) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2018] Kingdom, 킹덤 - Joo Ji Hoon, Bae Doo Na - Premieres in December 2018
  • 1 month later...

The trailer for Kingdom is finally out and it's absolutely amazing! Apparently the broadcast starts Jan 25, 2019. Can't wait for it to air :w00t: 

DreAo1MUcAAlUSr.jpg:large

DreAjCsVsAAXcMt.jpg:large

Spoiler

DreAbtsU0AADqgK.jpg:large

Spoiler

DreAW-YVYAAiEfs.jpg:large

DreALaxU4AAe3tu.jpg:large

cr. Netflix Korea twitter

Edited by triplem
4th image (Pic, YT, IG, twitter) onwards needs to go into spoiler. TQ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Watch: Netflix’s “Kingdom” Releases Thrilling Teaser + Writer And Director Share Thoughts On Cast And Series

Watch: Netflix’s “Kingdom” Releases Thrilling Teaser + Writer And Director Share Thoughts On Cast And Series

Nov 9, 2018
by S. Park

Upcoming Netflix series “Kingdom” has released its first teaser!

On November 8, Netflix held a See What’s Next (SWN) Asia showcase event at the Singapore Marina Bay Sands. Many people attended this event including Netflix’s co-founder and CEO Reed Hastings, chief content officer Ted Sarandos, and Vice President of Product Todd Yellin. They discussed Netflix’s strategy, vision, and introduced some new original series coming to Netflix in 2019.

The Director of Korean Content, Kim Min Young, said, “As Reed Hastings and Ted Sarandos mentioned before, I want to introduce Netflix’s most anticipated original series ‘Kingdom.’ It’s a mystery thriller and a story that takes place in the Joseon era. It’s about a prince who tries to save the people during a plague. It’ll be a series that sets a new milestone in Korean drama history.”

Director Kim Sung Hoon commented, “When people asked me why it’s a Netflix original, I didn’t have anything in particular to say so I just said, ‘I’ll show you with the results.’ I think it’ll soon be time where I can show the results. It’s a drama where I wanted to try something new, and it’s a moment where I feel both excitement and fear.” He added, “It’s about the struggle of human greed for power and pain of the citizens that takes place in 15th to 16th century Joseon era.”

The cast of “Kingdom” includes Joo Ji Hoon, Ryu Seung Ryong, Bae Doona, Kim Sang Ho, Heo Joon Ho, Kim Sung KyuJeon Suk Ho, and Kim Hye Joon. About this, director Kim Sung Hoon said, “How could I not cast these people? I thought that Joo Ji Hoon was the best fit for the character’s lonely, reclusive charisma, so I cast him. The Joo Ji Hoon that I saw on set was smarter, sensible, and more outstanding than I thought.”

He continued, “He’s the most intelligent actor out of all of the ones that I know. It’s common for people who are highly intelligent to be lazy, but he showed passion saying that he would do it again even when he was injured. He’s an actor who has handsome looks, high intellect, and passion.”

He added, “Ryu Seung Ryong is the best actor who needs no further explanation. The character that Ryu Seung Ryong portrayed was the character that I worried the most about with the writer. I hoped that he wouldn’t be shown as a simple evil character, and I had no reason to worry the moment Ryu Seung Ryong stepped in front of the camera. He’s an actor who has given me infinite comfort.”

He concluded, “Bae Doona is an actress who knows what sincerity is despite the fact that she’s acting. I think she’s the best actress who can draw sympathy from her co-stars in a second.”

After talking about how she prepared for “Kingdom” since 2011, writer Kim Eun Hee said, “I was interested in the zombie genre. The zombies that I had seen were creatures full of hunger. I wondered what it would be like if it was portrayed as a plague. I came to create this while wondering what it would be like if zombies appeared during the Joseon era where it would be harder to control than now.”

She continued, “In ‘Kingdom,’ people’s necks get cut off, they bleed, and many people die. These kinds of expressions were impossible for existing drama platforms and it was difficult because there were many cruel scenes. I came to do this on the Netflix platform because of the freedom of expression.”

“Kingdom” premieres on January 25, 2019 on Netflix.

cr. Soompi

• Like 4

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2019] Kingdom, 킹덤 - Joo Ji Hoon, Bae Doo Na - Premieres in January 2019

A prince faces his enemies both alive and undead in Netflix’s Kingdom

by tipsymocha

kingdom-trailer4.jpg

How excited am I for this, you guys!! Netflix has finally released a trailer for its upcoming original Kingdom, and the clip promises lots of gore and palace intrigue, as I would expect from a Joseon zombie apocalypse. We also get our first glimpse of Joo Ji-hoon (The Spy Gone North), Bae Doo-na (Matrimonial Chaos), and Ryu Seung-ryong (Seven Years of Night). Their roles are, respectively, the crown prince, a nurse, and a government minister who seemingly tries for a power play in the midst of an outbreak of the undead (uh, priorities, sir).

The teaser starts with the decayed body of the king on his bed, curiously wearing a metal collar and making involuntary movements, with Ryu Seung-ryong’s character, Jo Hak-jo, calmly standing bedside. As soon as a man announces offscreen that the king has passed away, the zombie king opens his creepy milky eyes.

There seems to be a lot of confusion generally, regarding the fate of the zombified king, and the crown prince, wearing the red robes reserved for the reigning king, bows in a courtyard and asks whether his father is really alive and well. Two palace guards throw a wrapped body, tied to anchoring weights, into a lake, where it joins an ominously large number of other similarly wrapped bodies in the water. Based on my knowledge of zombie fiction, I’m just going to call it and say that this strategy is going to backfire, hard.

Zombie outbreak aside, I worry about how many human enemies the crown prince has inside the palace, with guards brandishing swords to his neck, and Minister Jo warning that no matter how long the crown prince waits, his father won’t be coming to him. He basically has to fight this war on two fronts, against his political enemies, and against the undead, who start to haunt even the palace. Thankfully, he’ll have some help from nurse Seo-bi, played by Bae Doo-na, though she mostly faces the zombies outside the palace walls, where they’re predictably wreaking havoc, burning down villages and flooding the streets with dead and undead alike.

So many chills, and only half of them from the zombies! I knew to expect some pretty stunning visuals, especially given the money that’s been reportedly poured into production, but I’m still really looking forward to seeing just how grand-scale this show will be. I’m disappointed that the show is only slated for 6 episodes, but I’m somewhat mollified by the fact that Netflix has already commissioned a second season, which is supposed to start production right after the release of the first. Knowing writer Kim Eun-hee, of Signal fame, and director Kim Sung-hoon (Tunnel, A Hard Day), we’re gonna end season 1 on a massive cliffhanger, leaving us antsy for more episodes.

Netflix’s Kingdom is slated to release on January 25, 2019. (source: dramabeans)

• Like 5

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2019] Kingdom, 킹덤 - Joo Ji Hoon, Bae Doo Na - Premieres in January 25th - Netflix
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Revisiting some articles on the original webtoon series "Land of the Gods" by scriptwriter Kim Eun Hee and illustrator Yang Kyung Il upon which Kingdom is based... which makes me keen to read it, though I'd probably not understand a single word :sweatingbullets:

Screenwriter Kim Eun Hee’s Upcoming Zombie Thriller “Kingdom” Sparks Interest In Original Webtoon

Screenwriter Kim Eun Hee’s Upcoming Zombie Thriller “Kingdom” Sparks Interest In Original Webtoon

Mar 9, 2017
by J. Lim

Signal” screenwriter Kim Eun Hee is set to make a return with a new drama called “Kingdom.” With global streaming site Netflix officially announcing that it will be in charge of production for the drama, even the original comic series that the drama is based on is getting a lot of attention.

“Kingdom” is based on the YLAB webtoon series “Land of the Gods.” The 2014 series was Kim Eun Hee’s first work as a comic series writer, and was drawn by Yang Kyung Il and produced by Yoon In Wan.

“Land of the Gods” is a unique series that combines the Joseon era and the modern-day concept of zombies. The main premise of the comics is set to be reflected in the upcoming Netflix original series.

The story will revolve around a Joseon era crown prince investigating an unknown epidemic that threatens the entire country. The production is set to bring together screenwriter Kim Eun Hee and director Kim Sung Hoon, who received high praise for his work on the movie “Tunnel.”

Kim Eun Hee stated, “‘Kingdom’ is a production I’ve been thinking about since 2011 when I was writing the second half of ‘Sign.’ I wanted to take modern-day fears and horror and put them in a Joseon era setting. I’m hoping that my work with Netflix will help the creative imagination within ‘Kingdom’ soar. I will work together with director Kim Sung Hoon, who is a close colleague and someone I admire, to create a great production.”

Kim Sung Hoon added, “I am very happy to be working with Kim Eun Hee, who is one of the best storytellers of Korean dramas. I hope that by teaming up with Netflix, which aims to create original series of the highest quality possible, we will be able to create a revolutionary drama that is of a larger scale than movies and is not held back by limitations that most dramas face.”

Eric Barmack, the vice president of Netflix originals, stated, “My imagination went wild the moment I read the synopsis of ‘Kingdom’ for the first time because it combines the visual beauty of the historical time period with a fantastical and supernatural element. I am honored to be working with a top Korean screenwriter and director.”

Are you excited to watch “Kingdom”?

cr. Soompi

Kingdom (TBA 2018)

201703099187_20170309114326987.jpg

“Land of the Gods” (c) Kim Eun Hee, Yang Kyung Il, YLab

Upcoming drama “Kingdom” is based on the webtoon “Land of the Gods” written by Kim Eun Hee and drawn by Yang Kyung Il. Now Kim Eun Hee set out to adapt her own work for TV, with the help of Netflix. In this horror drama set during the Joseon age, the Crown Prince (Ju Ji Hoon) investigates a mysterious epidemic. Little does he know that soon zombies will endanger his country. Along Ju Ji Hoon, Bae Doo Na, Ryoo Seung Ryong, Kim Sang Ho, Heo Jun Ho and Jun Suk Ho have been cast. Kim Sung Hoon known for “Tunnel” is going to direct. Kim Eun Hee is a force to be reconned so I’m pretty excited for this one.

cr. lovethydrama.wordpress.com

• Like 4

Wow Zoombies in the joseon era, How interesting.. Looking forward to this one and I have netflex. I just have to remember to watch it now since I always watch Kdrama on my laptop.. 

Really looking to see whats up with the Queen, She seems like a mystery herself.. 

• Like 4

I do not have Netflix, so I have no clue how to watch Kingdom. I will find a way because nothing will stop me from getting my dosage of Joseon's zombies. :P