[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Novoland: Eagle Flag 九州缥缈录

sugarplum892

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/26/2019 at 9:46 PM, Scarlett Moira said:

For those Xiao Zhou and Asule shippers, hope you enjoy this video.  The song is nice too...

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDMzMTA0NTI2MA==.html?spm=a2h0k.8191407.0.0&from=s1.8-1-1.2

Thank you. I love it. Sad. Drama ended. Open ending, as predicted. No meet up between my CP. Sad. But I hope they will take up another project together. They look so good together.

My heart was broken when he confessed to the imaginary wise man while drinking that he had 2 good friends and someone he liked....But can no longer see them again....sad to the max....I dunno whats with the squirrel and how it ends with the sky turned bright and clear....

@firipyexactly my sentiment. I guess it is all up to each of us to conclude. At least JY came with a battalion of eagle flag armies with shinny armour and horses; most probably approved by HRH XZ. Hence, I will imagine Asule and JY won the battle and Asule will be king of his home country. Then, they all ride to greet HRH XZ in the palace. About the squirrel, it is so ambiguous. Jiang Nan wants to illustrate a "happy ever after" meaning? Or LBC reincarnated into a squirrel? Hmmm....this part, I am confused. Too abstract.

The ending scene gave several clues as to who won the last battle.

Spoiler

First, take a look at the environment. The snow has already melted, and it's now spring (season) which usually symbolizes new beginnings. Next, look closely at the flags..

VLmpidF.jpg

It's Qingyang (Asule's tribe) flags on top of the fort which means Asule won. If the enemy wolf tribe won they would have burned everything to the ground and the fort/villages would be gone.

d7whBmw.jpg

Qingyang flags are tan colored and look like this, very similar to the ones on the fort

dClWwxg.jpg

While the enemy wolf tribe has a different flag with spikes on it

4fwy6cy.jpg

@liddi Many, many thanks for your detailed and helpful interpretations of this drama. Without english subs it's hard to make sense of the more complex twists. I am still wondering what happening to Ying Wuyi. He escaped after the big battle, despite the prediction that he would fall, but what became of him?

The last 4 episodes 53-56 bring us through the overthrowing of the old regime and the ushering of a new era in the Eastern Lands, while unveiling the onslaught of internal and external threat as Qingyang is held ransom by the threat of the Wolf tribe outside its city walls, even as it struggles under the devastation of infighting and betrayal within. Through it all, the destinies of the remaining three young people come to pass, for some, at great personal cost.

XZ's bitter fate is the hardest to watch, a consciously made decision that reflects both her indomitable will and unflinching courage in the face of the pitiful inevitability of her remaining existence, even as it shatters her and those who love her. The battle at Shangyang Pass showed her once and for all the kind of destruction that awaited the Eastern Lands at the hands of the Grand Princess who, when faced with the overwhelming threat of the Chiya, would sacrifice the entire Five Armies including her own lover without a second thought by leaving them trapped at the Pass and unable to retreat to the capital, just to ensure her own safety. Knowing what is at stake - including the survival of Chuwei which has become a thorn in the side of the Grand Princess, the plan to depose the Grand Princess is set in motion, starting with the her own father who in turn rallies the support of XY. Well aware how much it pains LGC to see any more Tianqu members sacrificed, the involvement of their organisation was never her intent, until JY persuaded her otherwise, explaining that the dream of every Tianqu warrior is to see true peace in these turbulent times. Nonetheless, as BLNQ astutely points out to XZ, the valour of the Tianqu organisation notwithstanding, their numbers are few and there is little hope of raising an army, much less win against the imperial guards. My heart sank when XZ agrees to BLNQ's Machiavellian terms that would bestow continued favour and power upon the Baili clan, cemented by a marriage alliance between herself and the late Duke Baili's child-like heir Baili Yu. Yet pragmatically speaking, without the might of 20,000 strong Lower Tang army still stationed at the capital, there is no other viable option for XZ to definitively turn the odds in her favour and give the people a chance at peace at last. Following that, her decision to stay and ascend the throne even though the Grand Princess is finally disposed of, is driven by the fact that she could not afford to allow the kingdom to fall into the hands of yet another unscrupulous ruler, despite knowing exactly what that would demand of her. Hence, there is such a sense of hollow victory as we watch her coronation unfold, with the appointment of BLNQ as the commander of the feudal lords, effectively granting Lower Tang authority over all other states and the announcement of her intended marriage to Baili Yu much to BY's devastated shock. That very last scene, when Baili Yu interrupts the ceremony with toy in hand, yelling for his father is heartwrenching - when at last, realising the exacting price she paid for the greater good, every single person present who knows and cares for her, bow their heads deep down in sorrow. And the mute desolation, tears that threatened to spill but forcibly held back, her mouth twisted into a rictus before she finally reins in her emotions and hides her pain behind an impassive demeanor - in that moment, my heart shattered for this young girl whose moments of true happiness, always so scarce and fleeting, are now totally out of reach, irrevocably separated from the one she loves. Yet, in her capacity as empress of the Eastern lands, she would still protect him even if they could never be, and it is by her decree that the Tianqu army, elevated to protectors of the nation and spearheaded by their commander JY, would ride to Qingyang's aid at its most dire hour. My only consolation is that while her throne is cold and lonely, she is surrounded by men of honour and integrity in her court, and I believe that they will uphold the peace that she has given so much of to reclaim.

BLNQ is the one ominous element in XZ's new reign, with power exceeding all others in the land. It is to his credit that the new era could be ushered in, but his vindictiveness and insidious, manipulative nature is already evident with his retaliatory measures towards the Grand Princess, plotting her downfall and personally ensuring her death. His coercion of XZ, forcing her to honour her previous agreement with the previous Duke Baili with regards to a marriage alliance makes me fear that she may have bitten off more than she could chew in terms of the agreement with him. While I hope that he means what he told XZ about wanting to serve a good ruler, which disqualifies both the Grand Princess and the highly paranoid Duke Baili, ultimately, he is very much driven by the inherent pragmatism of the Baili clan which would always cast their lots behind the winner. Will XZ too become a chess piece in his hand, or will she, find a way to safeguard the nation she has given up so much for and keep the hounds at bay? We can only hope.

Up to his incongruous end, LBC's motivations are never fully explained, at least not to me. Here is a wizard who has done so much to secure LGC into becoming a part of Chenyue, but to what ends? In his last moments, he speaks of Chenyue as emissaries of the Star Gods whose essence will never be destroyed despite the deaths of their worldly bodies, and still refers to LGC as his child, his friend. Was his intention to have the ultimate Bronzed Blood warrior as the next high priest of Chenyue to succeed him, ushering them into greater heights as they wreak havoc and bloodshed in all the lands? Is this better explained in the book? Can someone who knows the book enlighten me?

At the Northern lands, LGC is helpless to stop the relentless destruction of the fabric within Qingyang itself, brought about by Chenyue's insidious influence and he loses more and more those he hold dear. It is the height of betrayal for him that the one that sounded the death knell for his people would be the woman he trusted so implicitly, the one who was his dearest friend, for whom he had relentlessly sought revenge in the Eastern lands. As expected, it is Suma after all, who marked the entire Qingyang people for doom, her hatred stemming from LGC leaving her for dead en route to Lower Tang, and the unimaginable abuse she suffered, carved into her back by the old princes whose beds she crawled into in exchange for passage back to the grasslands. Her hatred is so great that she would even frame her own husband who loved her so completely as the traitor who collaborated with the Wolf tribe, and watch dispassionately while he is trampled to death by horses as punishment for his crime. This too, is the woman who betrayed LGC and the Grand Shaman's location when they went in search of his incarcerated grandfather, causing the older man's death at the hands of LBC. Watching his brothers viciously tear each other's throats out for the sake of the throne; goaded by a bloodthirsty maternal grandfather determined to invade his people; losing his incarcerated paternal grandfather who sacrifices himself to teach him the final step of his swordsmanship, which in turn enables him to kill LBC once and for all - LGC's return home is filled with bloodshed and loss, until at last, he who never coveted the throne, is forced to become king with the death of all his brothers, and lead his people into battle against the enemy surrounding their city with odds that they could not hope to overcome, before unexpected aid arrives at the eleventh hour. As LGC finally embraces the destiny that is thrust upon him, he secures the peace that has long eluded his people while managing to sidestep the curse of insanity that has dogged others before him, but not without great personal cost to himself. Throughout this entire time, it is clear he still clung to the hope that one day, he would return to the Eastern lands once everything is settled, and be reunited with the woman he loves and the friends he care for. Still, fate would foil him at every turn, until at last, that hope is no longer an option. And even if he did manage to return, whom would he return to? The one awaiting is no longer the girl who is free to follow her heart, but the remote empress whose life is no longer her own.

Unfortunately, my greatest dread was realised when the last 4 episodes turned out to be a mixed bag, predominantly exasperating, with a handful of redeeming scenes. Suma's revenge arc is a ludicrous one, even more so the laughable ease with which the devastation she wrought is just as quickly forgiven and forgotten. This is the woman who singlehandedly caused the deaths of tens of thousands of Qingyang men, including her own husband, yet all is forgiven because of what she suffered? Then there is the 4000 strong secret Zhenyan army whom she would just as easily deliver into the hands of LGC's 3rd brother Xudahan with no sense of loyalty towards them, in exchange for LGC's safety. While we are meant to see that LGC is different, his propensity to forgive far overriding any hurt inflicted on himself - the exact same reason why he manages to keep the demons of his blood curse at bay when his predecessors failed - Suma's crime is towards the entire Qingyang, and not just himself. As such, that arc falls completely flat for me, leaving me with a bitter aftertaste. I also take issue with the convenient disposal of LGC's siblings - one after another just so that LGC will have no choice but to assume the throne. In particular, Xudahan's demise boggles the mind - committing suicide in a sudden revelation that everything he plotted to gain the throne, has no meaning, and having LGC name him as the real traitor in a rare fit of conscience, in order to stop the infighting and allow the people to finally come together against their external foes. And let's not even start about how the Grand Shaman, wise to the cunning ways of Chenyue, would actually fall for LBC's trick and look into the mirror that would trap him in LBC's illusion, leading to his death. Seriously?

Notwithstanding, the standout scenes of which I wish for more, are unforgettable, etching a place in my heart even while shattering it. The moment JY appears on the horizon and locks eyes with LGC has to be the perfect reunion of two friends whose bond remains fast in spite of distance and time. And this poignant eulogy is the perfect footnote to the relationships that I have come to care for so much, when in his imagination, LGC achingly reminisces to the Grand Shaman about the people who matter in his life, most of whom are now lost to him:

GS: Come, tell me about your life in the Eastern Lands
LGC: Actually when I first went there, I was very sickly and thought I did not have long to live. At the time, the only thing that kept me going was to avenge Suma. Thankfully, I met two people who became my best of friends. 
GS: It is good that you were able to find true friends. Tell me what they are like.
LGC: They... one of them is called Ji Ye. "Ye as in the wilderness." That is what he often said. His eyes are pitch black. He usually does not smile much, but his heart is more resolute than anyone else. The other one is Yu Ran. She is the princess of Lower Tang, and has now become the Goddess of War of the Winged tribe. However, when I first met her, she was always running around, dressed in men's clothing, dragging me and Ji Ye everywhere to run and play. Actually, both of them are a match made in heaven.
GS: What about you, Asule? Did you meet anyone you love?
LGC: I did. She is a princess of the capital. Her name is Xiao Zhou, but she personally prefers pale-coloured clothing. She rarely smiles because she has too much weighing on her heart. Yet she does not realise that she is so beautiful when she smiles, with two delicate dimples on her cheeks. However, I don't think I have the chance to return to the Eastern Lands to see her anymore.
Grand Shaman... I really miss you too.

At long last, the drama closes its curtains on this chapter of the universe, its hard-won peace paid for through the sacrifices made by four young people who never imagined that they would be the ones to change their world. While imperfect and riddled with issues, they are the reason that I will miss this universe now that it is over.

@Diaroadic Thank you very much for your kind words. YWY survives the battle of Shangyang Pass and escapes back to Li, and there has been no mention of him in the drama since then. In the book, XZ was very much younger, never involved in politics, much less crowned empress, so it is probably not a good basis for guessing what is to come. However, since in the drama, XZ is surrounded by Tianqu and Chuwei, as well as Lower Tang, I am hard-pressed to believe that YWY would be able to intimidate the new empress as easily as he did her brother with demands for funds for his northwardly conquests.

@a_tumiwa I'm sorry but I do not know enough of chess to tell if the sets are actual recreations. 

As for the flute, the drama refers to it as 笛子 dízi, which are actually transverse flutes. In the drama, it is an end-blown flute, which would usually be referred to as 箫 xiāo, though the size is markedly smaller than that of a conventional xiāo. I am unable to find any reference to a flute similar to it - perhaps someone with better knowledge of Chinese wind instruments can enlighten us.

@Angeline Ong I disliked the abruptness of the ending. While it is obvious that Qingyang won the war (symbolised by the changing of seasons into spring - associated with a season of hope and rebirth, as well as the reemergence of LGC's pet, which somehow finds its way back to the grasslands all the way from Gubei Pass), it is anti-climatic after the intense buildup to the battle, not to mention we are given no clue what happened to Mengle Huo'er. Still, perhaps it is for the best that we do not see the aftermath - not sure if I can bear a scene when LGC is told of how peace is won in the Eastern lands, thus paving the way for the aid that came to them.

@jeenee The marks on Suma's back are not Chinese characters, but markings left behind by the old Qingyang princes who abused her in exchange for bringing her back to the grasslands. Thus, her hatred for Qingyang, whom she deemed guilty for everything that happened to her. 

The abrupt ending and XZ marrying Bali Yu are both straight from the books. That's right, Jiang Nan essentially wrote what amounts to an prologue with 6 books. He wrote couple of short stories afterwards and there's a timeline, which is how there's spoilers about all the otp are bad ends and general gist of big events.

I had issues with the story in first half, in terms of pacing and focus, but there were bright spots every now and then that kept me watching. The middle portion was mostly great due to the Emperor and YWY, who were amazing both in terms of characterisation and acting. Since ep 30, I felt the writing have gotten so messy that I can't begin to critique it and I disengaged for the last 10 episodes or so (which is a shame since the Northern Lands bit are amongst the better received portion of the show). I could see and feel the ambition of the series, but sadly this mostly disappointed me.

@skibbies In the book, the ending, while abrupt, actually explained what happened after, including Mengle Huo'er's long-dreamed opportunity to enter the Northern capital before he left with his Wolf tribe. Rumours have it that he died of old age in the Northern wastelands and his body was fed to the wolves. The drama was less obvious in this regard, though the changing of seasons to Spring, the reemergence of LGC's pet and the flags in the city as noted by @FightSphere457's sharp eyes, indicate Qingyang's victory. As for XZ's marriage to Baili Yu, they were promised in marriage from the start, and there was never any romance with LGC to begin with, nor did XZ become empress (she was never involved in politics in the book). Then again, there is so much departure from the books in terms of character arcs anyway, not to mention I never read the book prior to this, so I am not so concerned about that, but more whether the character evolution makes sense.

Strangely enough, I find the Northern lands arc, while breathtaking in cinematography, to be more poorly conceived narrative-wise. I still take issue with the lack of attention to detail, particularly in terms of etiquette in both the Northern and Eastern lands, and there is a disconnect in terms of cohesion that never quite gets addressed. Nonetheless, at risk of sounding like a broken record, the 4 young leads and the strong seasoned actors keeps me invested despite being very much aware of the issues, and they more than anything else, are what I will miss now that it is over.

16 hours ago, liddi said:

@FightSphere457's sharp eyes, indicate Qingyang's victory. As for XZ's marriage to Baili Yu, they were promised in marriage from the start, and there was never any romance with LGC to begin with, nor did XZ become empress (she was never involved in politics in the book). Then again, there is so much departure from the books in terms of character arcs anyway, not to mention I never read the book prior to this, so I am not so concerned about that, but more whether the character evolution makes sense.

didnt u say XZ was still a kid in the novel? that's mean she is under-age when married?

58 minutes ago, a_tumiwa said:

didnt u say XZ was still a kid in the novel? that's mean she is under-age when married?

Erm, according to the book, XZ is only like 12 to 13 years old...….tink in ancient times, there is no like underage marriage....She is like 18 yr old in the show......LGC is like 20 year old when he met her, 19 when he entered the Lower Tang.

@a_tumiwa No it was never mentioned in the drama that SSQ is of the Spirit race, merely that she was an assassin, who at the age of 16, was under the employ of Duke Baili to tail You Changji, and ended up falling in love with the man. 

Rewatching the drama from the beginning, and the feels come rushing back, some hitting harder than others because I already know what lies ahead for them. The bond between our Nanhuai trio takes on particular significance and poignancy, while SSQ and XY's aching relationship still hits me where it hurts. Some dialogue now take on especial meaning, and it is interesting to note that LBC was not lying when he assured the Grand Princess the era for an empress to rule the Eastern Lands is at hand... except now, we realise that it was XZ, not the Grand Princess who would ascend to the throne. Still, with the various missteps that Chenyue made, did LBC really know that he was prophesying the future, or was it merely the imperfect visions he saw in his capacity as the high priest of Chenyue, which he used to his advantage to move the pieces on the chessboard he has carefully planned out? I don't know. 

Still no news of the release of the instrumental soundtrack so far, so I am keeping this teaser of the Battle Theme from the composer Tan Xuan's Weibo on repeat on my playlist. Hope it gets released soon.

@liddi so in the end, the consent between xiatang and qingyang was in vain? the marriage of Asule and Yuran also become useless? after a few years, Xiatang still never send provision to qingyang, and qingyang never send the cavalry like their early agreement   

btw , 4 generals of eastland, who is the last one? did he make an appearance in the drama?

@a_tumiwa Qingyang, or more specifically LGC's brothers declared the treaty between Qingyang and Lower Tang as void upon the death of his father, and that Duke Baili was free to deal with LGC as he sees fit. Throughout the events of the drama, I don't believe his marriage to YR was ever formally dissolved. So to be exact, it is Qingyang who broke the treaty, and not the other way round, and is unrelated to the state of the marriage, sham or otherwise.

Since the drama ends with Qingyang facing off the Wolf tribe, there is no indication whether the Qingyang that survives the war manages to obtain provisions from the Eastern Lands anymore. Still, I am inclined to think that with XZ on the throne, and knowing the reason LGC came to the Eastern Lands in the first place, a new treaty might be drawn with Lower Tang, the house of which she is married to, that would provide Qingyang with what they need. I believe that BLNQ, having obtained the power and authority that he wants for his clan, would agree to such a treaty if there is one, since it is also in his interests to maintain a good relationship with his empress. My 2 cents.

The Four Great Generals of the Eastern Lands are:

Dragon General Bai Yi of Chu Wei, always dressed in white robes. Also known as the greatest general in the Eastern lands

Tiger General Hua Ye of Chun. Commander of the Wind Tiger cavalry. Also known as Ugly Tiger, due to his appearance.
Fox General Xi Yan of Lower Tang, always dresssed in black armour
Leopard General Tuoba Shanyue of Lower Tang. Skilled in offensive strategy, so there is an Eastern saying "Avoid the mountain if you meet it", referring to his name 山 shan which means "mountain"

We've met all of them except the Tiger General Hua Ye.

Archived