[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Novoland: Eagle Flag 九州缥缈录

sugarplum892

Episodes 49 & 50 have no sweet moments between my two fav actors, Asule and XZ. *Sob* sob*. Somehow, I wonder why the writer, Mr Jiang Nan is so bitter? Dumped by many girls during his youth????? Why wrote such pitiful story for Asule. Yuran, whom he loves and married but the marriage was not consumated and YR loves his bff. Suma whom he used to adore and even told his dad (during his younger days) that he wanted to marry her but ended up as his elder sister in law. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. If Jiang Nan wrote "XZ to marry another guy", then I will blacklist this author. I am ok with an open ending, like XZ got pregnant AGAIN with Asule's child but gender not revealed. Just a small wish.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Angeline Ong said:

Episodes 49 & 50 have no sweet moments between my two fav actors, Asule and XZ. *Sob* sob*. Somehow, I wonder why the writer, Mr Jiang Nan is so bitter? Dumped by many girls during his youth????? Why wrote such pitiful story for Asule. Yuran, whom he loves and married but the marriage was not consumated and YR loves his bff. Suma whom he used to adore and even told his dad (during his younger days) that he wanted to marry her but ended up as his elder sister in law. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. If Jiang Nan wrote "XZ to marry another guy", then I will blacklist this author. I am ok with an open ending, like XZ got pregnant AGAIN with Asule's child but gender not revealed. Just a small wish.

Angeline, u are super funny! Prolly the writer doesn't want this show to be typical romantic epic Chinese drama. In that turbulent time, there is no happy ending, the world is coming to an end, everyone is only interested in power......Mankind just grows negatively in numbers.....very sadistic.... 

The part where the BLJH was killed by general Tubo n later Tubo will enjoying his shortlived power was killed by blind BL...its eliminating unnecessary ppl for the sake of quickly ending the show.....Its like playing some online games, ok dead...out.....dead...out, NEXT!

Whole show..... nothing happy at all except the few epi in the village, rest of the plots are all sad...….like the wedding between YR n Asule, its to save JY. When JY finally escape fr slavery, he found out abt the wedding, got upset and went on to offer services to YWY, have to face Asule and battle it out, broke the friendship......when we tot at least someone wld end up being happy, plot twisted n go downhill again!

I would smile even there is any chance the show ending with Asule and XZ meeting and smile when they did, dun even need for them to hug I would feel happy enuff!

I think one of the reasons why this drama is loosing  steam is because of the very slow subbing.Some of the dramas were sub so fast that watchers are able to follow the drama.Without the sub and not able to know what’s going on in the drama, you end us loosing interest  and motivation .Until now I wanted to know what’s happened when A died especially YR  thoughts .

I still think that YR and A has better chemistry than A and the princess. Although at this point, I could ship A and the princess. I  still like this drama because of A.It looks like for 2019, all I’ve watched were dramas with sad ending starting with Goodbye my princess.I could highly recommend Goodbye if you don’t mind sad ending.

8 hours ago, eim1 said:

I think one of the reasons why this drama is loosing  steam is because of the very slow subbing.Some of the dramas were sub so fast that watchers are able to follow the drama.Without the sub and not able to know what’s going on in the drama, you end us loosing interest  and motivation .Until now I wanted to know what’s happened when A died especially YR  thoughts .

I still think that YR and A has better chemistry than A and the princess. Although at this point, I could ship A and the princess. I  still like this drama because of A.It looks like for 2019, all I’ve watched were dramas with sad ending starting with Goodbye my princess.I could highly recommend Goodbye if you don’t mind sad ending.

I started with Goodbye my Princess this year, went to watch Fu Yao and that show by Zhao Liying and her husband. Cried buckets when I watch Goodbye my princess, sad ending but at least the main leads spent lots of time together in between, its jus so lack of communication, if they had been honest in 1st plc, prolly such things wont happen. The BLNJ is Xiaofeng's master (goodbye princess). His acting is really gd I must say. Almost forgot they are the same actor till I saw the actor's  name

5 hours ago, firipy said:

When Asule finally give the feeling of him being grown & developed into a Hero...….He falls into the trap and becoming a small boy again.....No hope of having the 2 of them meeting anymore, argh!!! 

I will keep hoping based on the Asule's promise to XZ, "will cross mountains and seas to meet her".

But and again, the fact that Jiang Nan has a bitter soul, I will keep my hope low. Btw, what is the meaning of Asule's new title. Sorry, my Chinese is self learned, so many big words I cannot really comprehend. Tq

1 hour ago, jeenee said:
  Hide contents

QUESTION: Did XZ became the ruler of Ďayin? 

I tink Yes.

2 hours ago, Angeline Ong said:

I will keep hoping based on the Asule's promise to XZ, "will cross mountains and seas to meet her".

But and again, the fact that Jiang Nan has a bitter soul, I will keep my hope low. Btw, what is the meaning of Asule's new title. Sorry, my Chinese is self learned, so many big words I cannot really comprehend. Tq

I have no idea, prolly like some duke or king's brother. no longer hier to the throne

Amusing BTS of the dramatic rescue scene during LGC's execution :D 

Quick transcript:

Director: 3, 2,1 Start!

(Wedding march plays)
[Sorry, wrong BGM]

[JY hacking away at the lock until it suddenly starts wobbling]

Director: It's chopped. You've finished chopping it

[The set is shaky]
[See them laughing so happily at the execution ground]

(LHR putting his head back in the guillotine)

[Obediently going to the guillotine]

LHR: I've to wash my clothes. I tell you, I needn't have worn any clothes
[What did you say?!!]
CRX: What are you shouting about?
LHR: I have filmed an entire day like this
CRX: That's funny
[Be patient. The wheels of fortune are ever turning]
LHR: Hurry up and help me take a picture. Bring my phone
[Playing with the phone even at the execution ground.jpg]
[Shallow you within 3 days]

[Expressing his inner happiness after filming]
LHR: (dancing in glee) Come come come Ji Ye! You still have to go to A team [for more filming]
[Our friendship is over]

[The fastest way to save Asule] -- removing the guillotine block

[Filming]

LGC: Alright. Let us die together

[Melodramatic love song BGM:
# We are hugging back to back
# Abusing silence to roar
# This love has no chance to age
# Buried in the bonfire of a joke]

CHY: Both of you really seem like you are getting married (laughs)
        I'm sorry for disturbing you!

Any updates from anyone been watching? lol. I feel like i just come to this thread to get my updates. Am busy with life and putting off watching until subs are nearly done. 

I'm a little bummed I haven't read any good news between Asule and XZ. 

@liddithank you for translating the bts. Really appreciate your effort. Please. Please. Please. Can you help to interpret /translate one little section of 'Bts Asule is bored'? The part after Asule whistled and XZ finished drinking. Asule said something. But I cannot understand this section. Then XZ replied "I have only heard this". The section around 0:53 seconds. Thank you in advance for my "overly-thick skin request". Please. Please.  

@Angeline Ong I presume you are referring to this video?

Quick transcript:

"Today Persimmon is mischievous"

(Note: the words 柿子 persimmon has the same pronunciation as 世子 Crown Prince, and LGC is often cheekily referred to as 柿子 in the BTS, rather than 世子)

(LHR's eyes following the direction of his forefinger)
[Persimmon is training the martial powers of eye expression]

[The correct way to begin is actually...]

(voiceover) 1... 2....3....4....5...

[Seriously.concentrating]

(voiceover) Secondly, please press the eyeballs (?). 1...2....3....4..

[To care for eyesight, do as I do]

[Who is whistling]
[It's him It's him It IS him]
[Guess what tune this is]
[You must have guessed]
LHR: (whispers) We Are Different     (the song he was whistling is "We Are Different" by 大壮 Da Zhuang)
         I only know this line
CHY: (laughs) I only know this line too! I've only heard this line

(LHR dancing down the steps of the prison in Shangyang Pass)
[Persimmon who is at the shooting scene is especially mischievous]

---
(At the bed)
LHR: What did I do? I beat Lei Bicheng senseless!
[The truth behind the hyper excitement]
hahahahahaha
[The director's sense of humour being tickled endlessly]

CHY: Devilish!

On 8/20/2019 at 1:02 AM, liddi said:

The first sign - the fall of the eagle king
The 2nd sign - the rebirth of the phoenix through fire
The 3rd sign - the mighty lion falls and breaks its claws on the rocks
The 4th sign - the wolf packs devour each other, the dragon dies on a desolate beach

LBC is exposed more as cunning, manipulative strategist rather than prophet when the 3rd and 4th signs do not appear to come to pass through the unfolding of the events in Eps 37-44. Though the brutal battle at Shangyang Pass sees YWY flushed out of the fort by BY's use of poisonous fumes, losing his commander and tens of thousands of men as they breached the ambush, YWY did not fall at Shangyang Pass after all, but escaped by the skin of his teeth as a result of XY unexpectedly letting them go. In addition, while the Five Armies distrusted one another and fought over who would have custody of XZ, ultimately trapped at Shangyang Pass with no route of escape back to the capital thanks to Duke Baili's 20,000 strong army, all of them united against the external threat of Chiya, and enjoyed newfound respect and camaraderie as only those who faced death together and survived could. As for the death of the dragon, it is still unclear to me of whom it referred. If LBC was foretelling his own death, then he should have known his plot to draw LGC into the Chenyue fold would fail. Unless he meant LGC's death, but why plot LGC's death and resurrection yet again when his whole purpose is to see the younger man as a part of Chenyue? Whatever it is, the solitary crow that flew away with the fall of the Chiya army is an ominous portent that we have not seen the last of this mysterious man.

The Grand Princess now finds to her dismay that though she is ostentatiously the regent of the Eastern Lands, her authority and court is now under Duke Baili's control, and perhaps even her once-strategist and lover Baili Ningqing too has switched sides. While not yet certain, her determination to see the Five Armies destroyed with flagrant disregard for his life when he too was held by BY at Shangyang Pass may have triggered his shift in loyalty to the Duke Baili, and it is his suggestion to XZ that now sees her willingly becoming a hostage at Lower Tang in place of LGC. BLNQ is an enigma who clearly knows a lot more than he lets on. I question why he revealed the secret of XZ's birth to her. Was it as repayment for her words that brought him to his senses as far as what he is really worth to the Grand Princess for whom he has plotted and strategised all these years? Is his promise to protect XZ while she is in Lower Tang a sincere one, or yet another sibilant coercion to ensure she complies with his plan? We shall see.

While on the topic of XZ's parentage, it does give rise to some interesting questions. Though not explicitly mentioned, I believe BY left Tianqu for the service of Chuwei, due to his love for the Duchess of Chuwei. I now wonder if XZ's mysterious father is not BY after all. If indeed so, then she has no claim to the throne at all since she is not of the royal family, which nullifies the previous emperor's will to have her as his successor. Assuming this is true, how does this knowledge benefit BLNQ? It would seem that not even the Grand Princess is privy to this detail, so I have to wonder what BLNQ hopes to gain by holding XZ hostage, and how this would make any difference to the ever-changing political landscape.

We finally understand YTZ's true motivations - the loss of his right wing when he, inspired by Tianqu ideals, tried to persuade a tyrant king to change; then being framed for his murder over the last 15 years. Now we see why he would protect Tianqu at all costs from the path of destruction he believed LGC's rigid stance would cost them - his obsession to reclaim Qingzhou through the might of Tianqu and clear his name, meant that he could not afford for them to be destroyed before his plans are set in motion. His subsequent interest in Yuran stems from his belief that she is the next Goddess of War with the ability to awaken the Snow Crane warriors, and whom he initially hoped would be instrumental in helping him restore his name. It is then ironic that after all the trickery he employed to bring Yuran to Qingzhou, his crustiness would be melted by her, and he would repeatedly regret his decision to drag her back to their homeland. Their mutual affection for each other is moving to see as he slowly warms to her, while she in turn would throw herself between the abuse hurled at him, and refuse to let him lose his will to live after the cruel hacking of his remaining wing by the present king. We finally get a glimpse of the upright warrior he once was before bitterness twisted him and his choices, and hopefully we see his path to redemption again before he dies, now that he has sworn to protect Yuran. With the present king making an undisclosed offer to GYY, and her scoffing at the idea of Yuran being the next Goddess of War, would Yuran too lose her closest kin to the allure of power, and would YTZ be the one who would protect her to the death from GYY after all?

From what I read, the drama has deviated markedly from the source material. In the original, Yuran was caught between JY and LGC and ultimately chose someone else, even though author Jiang Nan confirmed that the one she loved was JY. The drama has made it clear from the start that in Yuran's eyes, there is only JY. As such, I am glad that even after he is lucid, LGC affirms and affirms again his love for XZ. I wish we knew when he started to love her - another poorly addressed part of the narrative - but for me, it is enough to know that their love is mutual, and it is so good to see LGC smile with true happiness for the first time in such a long time. Since the drama has deviated so much from the book anyway, dare I hope that we will see these 4 young people find happiness at the end of the turbulent times that they are caught in? 

I am concerned to see so much still left unaddressed with only 12 more episodes to go - the battle for supremacy in LGC's own homeland among his brothers, the mystery of his incarcerated grandfather, the resolution of Duke Baili's ever-increasing control, holding XZ as his pawn which in turn would ensure LGC comes back into the web he has laid out. There is also the still potential threat from Chenyue, assuming LBC escaped in a form of a crow after all, so there should be a final showdown between the two age-old bitter foes Tianqu and Chenyue. Pacing and cohesion remain valid issues as is inconsistency in character behaviour, which in turn makes me wonder if this would have been better addressed if we have had the originally intended 68 episodes. Ludicrous scenes are rife, like the ease with which JY gets caught every single time, despite the fact that he is such a seasoned warrior; how quickly conflicts and concerns between various parties are resolved, which feels highly unrealistic. LGC's reactions to blood during his amnesia state seem to vary - from immediate rampage, to being terrified, to almost but not quite killing YTZ, to not even blinking an eye when the transformed General Fei's blood flowed on the ground after being killed. And let's not get started on how quickly he heals after the brutal battle with LBC and the Chiya, to be able to ride off to Qingyang so soon after sustaining massive injuries.

Regardless of my gripes, I truly hope that the last 12 episodes will see an improvement in these areas, giving us a satisfactory journey to the end. And that we will get a happy ending for all the characters we have come to care about after all...

ThslmPCDi46tb6MoQ9MjhPgYygCn-10kO2MceXDQemFUsH-DexNqC9AnvYfOtQYCXY93MFTqFlFAHwPw_sudq4l1ZegqyZF6lHU6PvuXpRntlw4YF5OsMZqgXleGduPoOmfDQLdA2FGxYcwNyBI9ClWFe-DfS3In_kiojI0EzDVjzGT1XqlVblzJlFWxIMlHhliBZI0lV9HW-bTx_ma45WXMdVF-Cm3ez9qP6EhFjFRsdFArzQvSr9QDcuWjO551ml9N9Txj_WzrhpWJpTgvkpmg6q44cFebCC2cnxPoUWGEov7QtBnj_y9IsaMzF-2k8t5Mc1TEtncy6xjTCWUHNyGjxPfcRR2wAEIryK9PtowlygtvOGKmIz68kbzeql3H96EYuq3lbLYAa5PquzG6sD-XrYqEUEH-lFIUBRqI5dlE8IJ_yryapyav81LWFICKaYS0GQ9GSyYNlWVfj6g3U4SYuNUGq88xJGLy7ftO-2Gbot0dJld1tYGmUoH2YePWsROHUAPxDg02OdSCSFjg2NrBNowqimFFBORLJEmDcIzknaBa9cy8Op_LCO_kbECmRM7518lXsqiNn0immtIQ7Zy6bK6H3QkyRDLI5lJ41uQSHZyjMslMIi05fQgXKOpQpIXGDbWzBrfF84-zm5hAHCWqOc1wnCE=w600-h364-no

I think LGC must have not realized that he is falling for her but it was gradual -- remember the scene she was organizing the books and he said let me help you and he came to tell her how he feels about what the King said... and when the King came to visit him and he was looking for her.  And he went to accompany her on her trip.  (I think they also have couple scenes there that were deleted.)  And the night before he was killed when they were talking.  I think the realization was when Xiao Zhou confessed to him that she now has another person to look after as well, which is him.  And when she said you must also look down on me if you only knew the bad things I had done.  And he quickly said no I won't, and close his eyes to mean he won't.  I think these are already signs.  So when XZ asked for a name for the doll - he can only recall Bai Zhou Yue.  It's because it's coming from the heart.  To me the actual time of realization is on the night before he supposedly died.  So when he recalled, that was the last thing he remembered about XZ - her confession.

@liddithank you for the full translation. Really appreciate your hard work and time.

These young actors really did a marvelous job to bring out the soul and spirit of the characters. I really salute their professionalism.

On a different note, sitting and facing each other won't these two beautiful souls' hearts flutter? I recalled one BTS (when they shoot the visitation of orphans), even these 'orphans' were 'be-witched' by XZ's beauty and fair complexion. In the BTS, the little girl similarized XZ translucent, flawless complexion to a mirror.

In another BTS, the Yuran playfully asked XZ "do you have a bf?". XZ said no.

Hence, my absolute salute to Liu Haoran for his mighty effort to hold his heart still and focus on the job to bring out this good work for us.

12 hours ago, Angeline Ong said:

@liddithank you for the full translation. Really appreciate your hard work and time.

These young actors really did a marvelous job to bring out the soul and spirit of the characters. I really salute their professionalism.

On a different note, sitting and facing each other won't these two beautiful souls' hearts flutter? I recalled one BTS (when they shoot the visitation of orphans), even these 'orphans' were 'be-witched' by XZ's beauty and fair complexion. In the BTS, the little girl similarized XZ translucent, flawless complexion to a mirror.

In another BTS, the Yuran playfully asked XZ "do you have a bf?". XZ said no.

Hence, my absolute salute to Liu Haoran for his mighty effort to hold his heart still and focus on the job to bring out this good work for us.

I think I would be delighted if they end up dating.  Although in real life Chen Hao Yu is 5-6 years older than Liu Hao Ran so maybe to him that is Jie Jie (older sister).  :) And also, they both share the same character in their names = Hao.  And the last Yu + Ran = Yuran.  Hahaha. (although not the same characters as that of Yuran in the drama but just sounded the same.)

Amidst the escalating change in the political landscape of the Eastern Lands and the furious political upheaval in the Northern Lands, Eps 45-52 chart the respective journeys of the three ruffians of Nanhuai to the aching, irrevocable conclusion that while their bond remains steadfast and strong, there will never be a gathering of our beloved Nanhuai trio ever again, not in this lifetime. There is bittersweet pride in seeing each of them as well as XZ, embrace their respective destinies, one that they perhaps never wanted for themselves, yet rose to the task because duty, responsibility towards a greater good and a lofty dream of peace overrode any personal desires especially in this turbulent age. In an age where suffering and injustice abounds, the fact that this generation is driven by a core sense of justice, buoyed by their ideals and dreams of a better world, gives great hope that their sacrifice will not be in vain, even as we grieve for what must surely be to come.

It is ironic that the most carefree of them all would be the first to rise up to her destiny despite having everything her heart could want - their precious friendship and JY's unwavering love. When she could leave and reclaim the happiness that laid within reach, she could no more turn away from a people she hardly knew, a place she instinctively called home. Knowing full well what is required of her - a lifetime of solitude with no spouse or children, solely dedicated to the will of Heaven, she chose to accept her life as the newest Goddess of War, bringing a new age of hope and unity to her people who have suffered so terribly over the last 15 years. My tears began to fall when, knowing what would happen if YR successfully awakened the petrified Snow Crane warriors during her 2nd attempt, JY still supported her decision, not wanting her to live with regrets but to help her fulfill her dreams, despite the cost to him and them:

Spoiler

YR: It seemed like only yesterday that I first returned to Qingzhou. Yet so much has happened in such a short time.

JY: I came to take you away from this place. Before he died, YTZ also instructed me to take you away. However, I know that after all that has happened, you no longer wish to leave.

YR: Ji Ye... I want to go back to Nanhuai. There was you, there was Asule. I was always carefree then.

JY: But now you have changed.

YR: Everyone has to grow up. No one can always do what they wish.

JY: I know what you want to do. You don't want to leave. You want to try and awaken the Snow Crane warriors, try to do something for Qingzhou. It's true that I want to take you away. But more than that, I do not want you to have any regrets.

That and her parting words to JY's unconscious form before she retreated into the holy temple:

"Meeting you is the greatest blessing to my life. Even if we are separated from now on, whenever I think of you, my heart is free."

is a testament to just how much they have matured, how their love, unsullied by everything that has happened, remains true even as they walk away and willingly let go of each other, because others need them more. And I ache for them just as I love them that much more because of it.

By the same token, we see a JY who has truly come into his own. Of the three, his origins are the least remarkable, and his dreams more pragmatic and personal, as a result of being starved of affection and kindness. His turning point came that fateful day he made the acquaintance of the two people who would breathe lifelong meaning and warmth to his life, and even in his darkest hours, he never really lost track of the inherent good that is within him. Though his changes are often subtle, it is evident that he has evolved from the desperate young boy who wanted only to be remembered, to the man who would give of himself even if it meant giving up his own dreams for those he love. This is the man who storms the execution grounds single-handedly for his friend, knowing that he goes to certain death; the same man who returns for his father and leaves in tears after the older man's harsh rebuke, intended to push him away so as not to be a burden to the boy whom he is so proud to call his son. The JY of today, bequeathed the ring of Tianqu's sovereign leader by LGC, now wields his spear with the understanding of what it means to be a true warrior, and exhibits a heart for the people that was once never his priority in the past, and my heart swells in pride with just how far he has come:

Spoiler

JY: I remember Asule often saying 'I will protect you.' After going through so much with him, I finally understand the true meaning of these words. A warrior should not just don armour and kill the enemy. While it's true that those killed are the enemies, but we should not even have been enemies in the first place.  A true warrior must be able to protect every city, protect every single living person in that city.
XY: In the past, I never felt that you and the Crown Prince were the same kind of people. I once even worried that you would not be able to live up to [the responsibilities of] this ring. But now, I can leave the future of Tianqu to you without any qualms.

LGC's destiny is sealed the moment he learns of his father's passing and the unrest in the Northern lands under his older brother's reign. Unable to tell if he would be able to return to the Eastern lands after that, he makes two drastic decisions - taking definitive leave of the woman he loves so as to protect her for what may be the final time; and entrusting JY as the new sovereign leader of Tianqu, who will uphold their ideals, save XY and protect the Eastern lands. Upon his return, he finally understands the truth behind his affliction, the curse those with Bronzed Blood carry - heightened power and speed beyond normal men, yet losing more and more of their humanity with each time they use their powers, until such time when they spiral into madness from which there is no return, feared by their enemies, dreaded by their loved ones. Knowing now the curse that is within him, compounded by his innate protective instinct, there is a sense of fatality in LGC's subsequent decisions even as he pledges his allegiance to the new king, relinquishes his title of Crown Prince, and relegates himself to just 大那颜 - a prince with slightly more seniority than the rest of his other brothers due to his previous rank. As the threat from the Wolf tribe looms even greater with each passing hour, he goes on what is surely a suicide mission, intent on taking out his maternal grandfather Mengle Huo'er on his own by tapping into his powers, even if it meant one step closer to impending madness. His words to his uncle as he finally reveals his curse - "Rather than becoming a madman, it is better to die in battle" drives home the fatalism with which he accepts what surely must be his fate, asking only that to give his life so that Qingyang might not perish. Yet again, the best laid plans are foiled due to a spy who betrays them to the enemy, and the combined might of Chenyue and the Wolf tribe destroys more and more of those LGC care for, including his uncle who entrusted his 10,000 men in battle, and one of his firm friends Tie Ye. While the identity of the traitor is yet unknown, the Suma who has returned from the dead and regains her voice, does not appear to be the same girl who grew up with LGC, not forgetting it was at her instigation that Bimogan forced his father to name him as heir after killing off the uncles who opposed him. If indeed she is the traitor, that is yet one more betrayal LGC has to suffer from those whom he has held close to his heart, and I hurt for him who has already gone through so much.

Once again, the drama shows us just how strong the women of the universe are in their own way. XZ, whose courage and strength is never in question, now takes the first steps to secure peace in the land by drawing support to go against the Grand Princess, starting with the father she can never publicly acknowledge. In response to BY's explanation that one can only choose to protect either the person one loves, or the world, but not both, her words about LGC are poignant: "Since I cannot spend my life with him, I wish to be like him." From here on, it is clear that she will use every means within her disposal to bring about a new reign to the Eastern lands, one that is free from the tyranny that is oppressing the land, and I fear that this includes the will of the late emperor, naming her as his successor. While ostentatiously returning to the Grand Princess, it is clear that BLNQ's motivations are no longer as clear cut as before, and he too is likely a key player in what would be XZ's ascent to the throne. LGC once made a remark to his oldest brother Bimogan that one may not necessarily be able to keep the promises one has made, since a person is like a fallen leaf on the icy river, with no idea where it would float to; nor whom it will meet. It is a stark observation that casts an ominous light on promises made in the past, many of which had been broken, and more of which may be broken in future, a foreshadowing that perhaps they too are not meant to be as they respond to their respective destinies.

The cinematography remains breathtaking, and the battle between Qingyang and the Wolf tribe has to be the most spectacular yet, keeping me at the edge of my seat. However, plot cohesion and some character development continue to suffer, such as the dramatic change of character in GYY at Qingzhou, which I feel is to ensure that YR is the only person left who can help her people; the resurrection of XY's nephew who supposedly died when the Tianqu warriors stormed the execution ground to save LGC, but is then alive once more during XY's rescue from the dungeons of the capital; JY, always easily captured in previous episodes, yet suddenly powerful enough to take on the entire Lower Tang troops stationed at the execution ground; the ridiculously quick disposal of Duke Baili by General Tuoba, followed by the latter's assassination within minutes of taking over Lower Tang. Nonetheless, while still dogged by issues, the drama continues to keep me invested, exactly because I never stopped caring for the characters, and it is with inordinate pride and poignancy as I watch each of them grow, just as I ache for what they have to go through. Once again, I wish we had been given the originally intended 68 episodes, instead of a hacked-up drama upon which cohesion is often sacrificed. With 4 more episodes to go, I am already preparing myself for the worst in terms of heartache, while praying that it will deliver in terms of narrative all the way to the end. 

Finally, one last look at the Nanhuai trio who have become so close to my heart, and whom we shall never see again, not like this :tears:

tNqZNz1Y8I1hBo_Ky8Q_lkuj-4ZoUj-rHXU3F00rjlnbG334obRiIJYMjkmVeymjUsCxmtChY01RKvKoRGK-OQQG146dJpmtaeGq-KV92YR2WpnRs8HOhWk0zg2RPtDQ8-eqQAm1j_BM3zv5TWbsxn2d4lgkasfwJUL06rq8G_-QNXmfXHVSsQucdCr1L5MbWkRxFBSqMeR1MV3cHA9Rujk9OM_ZM3Mxh_M9TSRm7SKFTTWSarhcVG2G-YeNCJRGvlmFdqF8aW61aIHpJfZzBO2kmayVEv3qnwL4x5KoGy3XE6vayps4xqYXLoycIe8Z32xzYeLq7HGrm5E8v6Ep7ef9JcKHyBgbamNh3XhhFlAWePaWvNiJLVnY-uenUBcnEPZgOAcd21a81fr695JbPDgjDkQNRU02lt9WxeukKlSRlEJJvhpOqTodbqedNvdFKJMBkwin8qdO67DyjO1zO89rg8mqMgt6F7NhSCW-PrTeHrczkViW513FD5urNx7Q8RKfjIiswEJ8TLxVxpI1sTzdvI7Oif5TNvVGaqe8vEBaNRNX6OBn6xT84pAOc6IC9BC2-VvPfA7EjXMNBus_v_JuMlGcoUiwNyhcWjhxwTwgXsNt_3VhOG4gMjjUic2ZLajdeCpF9plcky5rLxI_3XTkycwrj7v5U3rVcI5VhlxjHrbCZWUKA2jkYK0tBw=w600-h337-no

Archived