[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Novoland: Eagle Flag 九州缥缈录

sugarplum892

I'm still watching this drama but as each episode passes, I lose more & more interest. It started out so good but now ? Too much killing, too much misery & for what? What's the purpose? I guess as a viewer I was looking for a hero, for someone to rise above all & save the day. I watched the trailers up to 50 & Asule takes the lead in a battle (I've lost track of who's battling who & why). 

Truthfully, I'm terribly disappointed. I so looked forward to this drama. I so loved it at the beginning, as in Tribes & Empires. I so wanted to see a satisfying coherent ending. I'm not dumb but I feel like I've become very dumb now (dumb as in IQ). 

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, jeenee said:

This is connected with Tribes and EMpires right? Tribes and EMpires had a really good beginning nut we were all left hanging at the end. 

They only share some settings and history because it's technically set in the same word. They are written by different authors and Jiang Nan, Eagle Flag's author have since changed some of his setting. It also changed significantly from the books/story so lmao.

19 hours ago, firipy said:

I dun understand Y so many ppl hated XZ, its becos she has too much screentime?

Yeah basically. She's not a main character in the book, because Jiang Nan didn't quite get to explore her story. So to book fans, it felt like she was shoved in (She was much younger in the books and didn't have much as interaction with the main group) To shipping fans, they ruined their ship, which is little silly because Yuran's otp was never Asule, their relationship have always been one sided, book or drama.

She also seem to be on track of Ji Ye's path in the book, so Ji Ye fans are extra unhappy with her, since she "stole" his storyline. Asule fans are unhappy with her because the he got revived and amnesia plot is drama original. They feel that it was written in to prop her up, while I disagree and think it's just terrible writing, I can sort of see where they are coming from, it's because she comes out of this with most benefits. Asule only remembers her, he's fully reliant on her, they spend a lot of time together and get a relationship developed.  I guess one could argue the plot ensure Asule learns how to control his berserk mode, but that's also because of her. I briefly shipped them two together but have since abandoned it because of that entire arc, I really think they could have used some other plot device/development and make it smoother.

@liddi I don't mean what they want, but what the story had in mind for them. I've mentioned before that Yuran doesn't care for anything political, but that's clearly not what other people or the story have in mind for her. For Ji Ye, in drama, I think that's earning a place in the army (general or something)? He did get acknowledge for who he is, but I don't think that was the story's end goal for him. Since then he has gotten dragged into his friends' problems, which is fine since they are his friends. I'm just not sure what he has in the future for him the way the story is going now. Asule should be returning to Northern Lands now so let's see how that goes.

I saw the shots of epi 49 n 50....I m so upset! the 4 of them just gonna have sad n lonely lives..... If they were so out to throw Asule n XZ together, they are now forcefully throwing XZ away. Poor JY oso gets thrown away out of the blue. Bad guy BLJH oso gonna jus die....gosh!Tat part abt ZBC coming alive again n chatting the wolf gang up n Suma reborn, omg....Just gonna watch till it ends tats it, very sickening end of the world kind of story...

10 hours ago, jeenee said:

WTF is happeninh!!! 

Suma and Qin are Alive!??! 

SUMA CAN SPEAK?

I am soo confused. I'll drop this drama first them comeback after all the eps are subbed (if I can, its actually driving me mad! Lol I want to watched it subbed now)

I thought it will be a happy ending, my hopes are up!! Now future seems bleak! 

Who is Qin sorry?

7 minutes ago, firipy said:

I saw the shots of epi 49 n 50....I m so upset! the 4 of them just gonna have sad n lonely lives..... If they were so out to throw Asule n XZ together, they are now forcefully throwing XZ away. Poor JY oso gets thrown away out of the blue. Bad guy BLJH oso gonna jus die....gosh!Tat part abt ZBC coming alive again n chatting the wolf gang up n Suma reborn, omg....Just gonna watch till it ends tats it, very sickening end of the world kind of story...

Who is Qin sorry?

The older girl during the first ep. Asule's first love, Qin-jiejie 

4 hours ago, Takingthehighroad said:

I'm still watching this drama but as each episode passes, I lose more & more interest. It started out so good but now ? Too much killing, too much misery & for what? What's the purpose? I guess as a viewer I was looking for a hero, for someone to rise above all & save the day. I watched the trailers up to 50 & Asule takes the lead in a battle (I've lost track of who's battling who & why). 

Truthfully, I'm terribly disappointed. I so looked forward to this drama. I so loved it at the beginning, as in Tribes & Empires. I so wanted to see a satisfying coherent ending. I'm not dumb but I feel like I've become very dumb now (dumb as in IQ). 

Altho I am so confused with what is happening in the drama now and asking what is the logic of all of it, I dont think I can drop it. I am so invested in this drams right now, enough to resurrect this account. I cannot let Asule go and I need to know what will happen to him. 

This feels like Tribes and Empires again, it really has a good start but towards the end it just a big whole mess! 

6 minutes ago, firipy said:

She is also alive??? wat? goodness, damn weird this show

Im not sure, maybe it was Suma with her hair style. I just watched nonchallantly and I thought I saw her. When I saw Suma alive they can let her live too... no one has permanent death in this show it seems 

1 hour ago, jeenee said:

Im not sure, maybe it was Suma with her hair style. I just watched nonchallantly and I thought I saw her. When I saw Suma alive they can let her live too... no one has permanent death in this show it seems 

plus she can speak n is the eldest prince lover or something......gosh

Just finished watching episode 48, preview of 49 and 50. Initially I continued to watch because I love the development of innocent and naive romance between XZ princess and Asule. But in the preview, Asule took a deep bow and address XZ as her royal Highness. He thanked her for taking care of him and left on a horse with a head of messy hair and love-less, grave look on his face. ? His way of breaking up with a lady. 

So I guess JY, Asule & YR's unique friendship will just stay in their memories, right? Asule will return to his homeland & rule/save it? JY will become an officer in somebody's army? And YR will just sprout wings & flit around in the sky? I'm sticking w/the drama but I'm becoming very sarcastic. 

The only thing sticking in my mind right now is how nice JY looks w/out his shirt.

@Angeline Ong LGC refused to bring XZ along with him to Qingyang because he had no way of knowing if he would survive, and he would not risk putting her in danger. Nonetheless, in Ep50, LGC told his oldest brother that he has found someone he loves in the Eastern Lands, and he wishes to go back when everything in the Northern lands is settled, so I am still clinging to the hope that perhaps, by some miracle, they will be reunited after all. Still, remembering the old man in Ep1 who had paper boats set adrift on the lake, just like what XZ taught him when he was grieving for his father and could not tell him what was in his heart anymore, I am afraid that the drama will find a way to snuff out that hope too. Please don't.

@jeenee Quick explanation of what is revealed so far in response to your question:

Spoiler

Asule's brother was named heir to the throne by his father just before he died and he earned the ire of many when he married Suma very quickly during the mourning period for his father. Apparently Suma survived the attack in the valley and took two years to find her way back to the grasslands.  At the Northern capital, her speech was restored by a skilled physician, and later, Asule's oldest brother fell in love with her at first sight and married her. Seeing that Suma supposedly died during a confrontation with the Chiya, I have to wonder whether she was revived by LBC and now sent to create havoc in the grasslands too. I won't be surprised if she is intent on vengeance, especially since her father and Zhenyan tribesmen were killed by orders of Asule's father, her sister at the hands of Asule, and she left for dead by the man she loved en route to Lower Tang. We'll see.

22 hours ago, jeenee said:

Most people in Weibo are not happy with what has happened in the drama so far. I have seen post saying they are abandoning the drama. Ugh i really want to watch it with subs now. 

Sorry if you guys find mw annoying. I have no other venue to rant and express my thoughts and feelings regarding this drama

i love the drama, Haoran is best actor, whatever happen in the end, i'll still be watching till finish, just like my princess

@a_tumiwa Based on my quick glance through of the books (whoever has read the books, please feel free to correct me):

Spoiler

Suma never went with Asule to Lower Tang and was still alive when he left the grasslands. She married his oldest brother in exchange for him sending the Iron Army to save Asule, whom she loves. In the end she too did love her husband and was pregnant with his child. After her husband was put to death as a traitor by his 3rd brother with whom there is always enmity, she came back for him but miscarried. It is revealed that over the years of slavery, she had been secretly raising a 4000-strong army among the Zhenyan orphans and slaves who survived the purge, and when Asule faced conflict on all sides in the grasslands, she offered her secret weapon to him.

As for Baili Ningqing,

Spoiler

I don't think it was explicitly stated what his relationship is with the Duke Baili, but he is definitely of the Baili clan. In the books, his father Baili Changqing was a important minister in the royal court until he was framed and put to death, but the Grand Princess took BLNQ under her protection, and he had been in her service since.

I think Suma wants create havoc, she prolly was resurrected by LBC. When she followed Asule, she has this crafty look. And has this bewitching the eldest Prince kind of intention. Tink Asule loves her as a sister, like a security blanket when they were both kids. The eldest bro seems to be persuaded by this mysterious person to put pressure on the late king to make a decision to name him as the heir. He looks genuinely concern for Asule and dun seem to be a really evil person. The one who seems evil is the 3rd bro. I wonder if all of them have diff mums cos I heard 3rd prince said his mum is from wolf tribe oso or something.

Saw the shots for epi 51 and 52, I forgot of which there is a scene where XZ has flashbacks of their conversation/confession on the top of the gate at Shangyang…. I think she is hoping Asule will cross mountains and seas to come back to look for her.

Despite concerns regarding the direction of the drama, I must mention just how much I love the instrumental soundtrack composed by the incredible 谭旋 Tan Xuan, whose other works include the soundtracks for 宸汐缘 Love and Destiny, 三生三世十里桃花 3L3W:Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms, 楚乔传 Legend of Chu Qiao. Every motif beautifully captures the scene it accompanies, enhancing it even more - the aching strands that accompany each star-crossed lovers never fails to break my heart; the unmistakable theme that accompanies YR is reminiscent of the mysterious Winged Tribe, even in the early episodes; the opening theme that is both ominous and stirring; the rousing battle theme that accentuates the desperation and valour of the men who fought. Really hope that the complete instrumental soundtrack will be released some time.

@firipy I believe the preview in Ep52 shows both LGC and XZ reminiscing about their time together, missing one another. It is interesting that here, his confession to his older brother about loving someone from the Eastern Lands refers to XZ, while originally referring to YR in the book. Since Suma's arc is starkly different from the book, it is highly possible that she has ulterior motives for returning, and very much related to Chenyue. If so, this is a totally different Suma from the book, who loves Asule alone, and would do anything to protect him - this trait appears to be transferred to XZ in the drama. We'll see.

Archived