[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Novoland: Eagle Flag 九州缥缈录

sugarplum892

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/9/2019 at 4:53 PM, Angeline Ong said:

@Erafera1i beg to defer. I love Xiao zhou very much. She cares, adores and loves Asule. Whereas, YR just receives the tender love from Asule but carefreely announcing they are best pals. Making Asule so pitiful. I guess I share similar sentiment with a large majority of Chinese viewers in China. The character YR was acted well but I dislike the character development. It would be good if YR develops slowly to become a more mature lady. Thoughtful and insightful. Thus, I find her immature and irritating.

This. I dont know if I'll like Princess XZ. She REALLY cares about Asule but it would really make me happy if YR fell for Asule too, Asule really loves YR. I find it frustrating that they at the start they have built YRxAsule ship but they just wont sail it as the drama moves on. I dunno what to feel about YuRan and Ji Ye, JI Ye is so close minded about Yuran and Asule's wedding, its just frustrating that he just got mad at Asule like that for marrying Yu ran. What if he didnt know that Yu Ran and Asule married each other for him will he hold that grudge against them forever. And I dunno what to feel with the movement of Yu Ran and Ji Ye's ship now.

Aside for the ships lol is Asule immortal now? How many times has he died already??

I just hate waiting for new eps, worst wait for it to be subbed. I am watching raw but it is so frustrating not understanding any of it

sorry for the rant

On 7/27/2019 at 10:37 AM, JoyceDreamer said:

I'm kinda scared to start this one. I love Liu Hao Ran but... I just haven't gotten myself to pick it up and watch it. Might wait till it's almost ending.. and is it just me or is there not a lot of hype of this one... 

If anyone can recommend this drama in one phase or word, how would you guys describe or recommend? 

Great Drama, fast paced, amazing actors, not boring! Plot is great.

Liu Haoran is AMAZING!

On 7/31/2019 at 11:09 PM, tarjig said:

I am enjoying Novoland Eagle Flag but I feel like Ji Ye story is overshadowing Asule.  I like Asule and I want him to be stronger but it seems as though everyone around him is getting stronger and he is getting weaker.  Ji Ye is all about himself.  Yuran is running behind him because he is the love of her life, yet he is not going to be the one to love her all her life.  Ji Ye will always put what he wants ahead of others.  He wants fame and fortune.

Asule puts people first.  He is putting Ji Ye and Yuran ahead of himself.  Maybe when a huge betrayal comes about, he will become stronger.  Some new chick has appeared in the picture and I don't know what her deal is yet (no eng subs) but I don't like her, but then again, I don't like Yuran.  Asule deserves someone who likes him first. Yuran is a brat! 

I wish the subs would come out faster.  Right now we are 10 episodes behind on any website.  If someone knows of one that is current (up to ep 26) let me know.

let me applaud you!!

Yes. Ji Ye is so selfish and so self centered. ugh the Romance part of this drama is too frustrating!

We still have 1 princess in the picture Ying Yu.

Ji Ye's backstory was exciting but even though he is strong & determined, I don't think he's a hero. Actually, in my opinion, he seems to forget YR until he's around YR. I admire him for getting back up when knocked down (mentally & physically), but for some reason I see him as one who would betray in order to get ahead. As I said before, I can't read Asule's thoughts. He always looks so brow-beaten and meek. He picks up the sword and kills everyone around him; he is still emotionless. He is "too" good, "too" nice, "too" humble. JY is "too" pushy, "too" single-minded, "too" focused on being a hero, and YR is "too" flighty, "too" enamored with JY, "too" talkative. I have to say that even though I like the drama, it is a "miserable" drama, meaning it leaves me so depressed.

The first sign - the fall of the eagle king
The 2nd sign - the rebirth of the phoenix through fire
The 3rd sign - the mighty lion falls and breaks its claws on the rocks
The 4th sign - the wolf packs devour each other, the dragon dies on a desolate beach

LBC is exposed more as cunning, manipulative strategist rather than prophet when the 3rd and 4th signs do not appear to come to pass through the unfolding of the events in Eps 37-44. Though the brutal battle at Shangyang Pass sees YWY flushed out of the fort by BY's use of poisonous fumes, losing his commander and tens of thousands of men as they breached the ambush, YWY did not fall at Shangyang Pass after all, but escaped by the skin of his teeth as a result of XY unexpectedly letting them go. In addition, while the Five Armies distrusted one another and fought over who would have custody of XZ, ultimately trapped at Shangyang Pass with no route of escape back to the capital thanks to Duke Baili's 20,000 strong army, all of them united against the external threat of Chiya, and enjoyed newfound respect and camaraderie as only those who faced death together and survived could. As for the death of the dragon, it is still unclear to me of whom it referred. If LBC was foretelling his own death, then he should have known his plot to draw LGC into the Chenyue fold would fail. Unless he meant LGC's death, but why plot LGC's death and resurrection yet again when his whole purpose is to see the younger man as a part of Chenyue? Whatever it is, the solitary crow that flew away with the fall of the Chiya army is an ominous portent that we have not seen the last of this mysterious man.

The Grand Princess now finds to her dismay that though she is ostentatiously the regent of the Eastern Lands, her authority and court is now under Duke Baili's control, and perhaps even her once-strategist and lover Baili Ningqing too has switched sides. While not yet certain, her determination to see the Five Armies destroyed with flagrant disregard for his life when he too was held by BY at Shangyang Pass may have triggered his shift in loyalty to the Duke Baili, and it is his suggestion to XZ that now sees her willingly becoming a hostage at Lower Tang in place of LGC. BLNQ is an enigma who clearly knows a lot more than he lets on. I question why he revealed the secret of XZ's birth to her. Was it as repayment for her words that brought him to his senses as far as what he is really worth to the Grand Princess for whom he has plotted and strategised all these years? Is his promise to protect XZ while she is in Lower Tang a sincere one, or yet another sibilant coercion to ensure she complies with his plan? We shall see.

While on the topic of XZ's parentage, it does give rise to some interesting questions. Though not explicitly mentioned, I believe BY left Tianqu for the service of Chuwei, due to his love for the Duchess of Chuwei. I now wonder if XZ's mysterious father is not BY after all. If indeed so, then she has no claim to the throne at all since she is not of the royal family, which nullifies the previous emperor's will to have her as his successor. Assuming this is true, how does this knowledge benefit BLNQ? It would seem that not even the Grand Princess is privy to this detail, so I have to wonder what BLNQ hopes to gain by holding XZ hostage, and how this would make any difference to the ever-changing political landscape.

We finally understand YTZ's true motivations - the loss of his right wing when he, inspired by Tianqu ideals, tried to persuade a tyrant king to change; then being framed for his murder over the last 15 years. Now we see why he would protect Tianqu at all costs from the path of destruction he believed LGC's rigid stance would cost them - his obsession to reclaim Qingzhou through the might of Tianqu and clear his name, meant that he could not afford for them to be destroyed before his plans are set in motion. His subsequent interest in Yuran stems from his belief that she is the next Goddess of War with the ability to awaken the Snow Crane warriors, and whom he initially hoped would be instrumental in helping him restore his name. It is then ironic that after all the trickery he employed to bring Yuran to Qingzhou, his crustiness would be melted by her, and he would repeatedly regret his decision to drag her back to their homeland. Their mutual affection for each other is moving to see as he slowly warms to her, while she in turn would throw herself between the abuse hurled at him, and refuse to let him lose his will to live after the cruel hacking of his remaining wing by the present king. We finally get a glimpse of the upright warrior he once was before bitterness twisted him and his choices, and hopefully we see his path to redemption again before he dies, now that he has sworn to protect Yuran. With the present king making an undisclosed offer to GYY, and her scoffing at the idea of Yuran being the next Goddess of War, would Yuran too lose her closest kin to the allure of power, and would YTZ be the one who would protect her to the death from GYY after all?

From what I read, the drama has deviated markedly from the source material. In the original, Yuran was caught between JY and LGC and ultimately chose someone else, even though author Jiang Nan confirmed that the one she loved was JY. The drama has made it clear from the start that in Yuran's eyes, there is only JY. As such, I am glad that even after he is lucid, LGC affirms and affirms again his love for XZ. I wish we knew when he started to love her - another poorly addressed part of the narrative - but for me, it is enough to know that their love is mutual, and it is so good to see LGC smile with true happiness for the first time in such a long time. Since the drama has deviated so much from the book anyway, dare I hope that we will see these 4 young people find happiness at the end of the turbulent times that they are caught in? 

I am concerned to see so much still left unaddressed with only 12 more episodes to go - the battle for supremacy in LGC's own homeland among his brothers, the mystery of his incarcerated grandfather, the resolution of Duke Baili's ever-increasing control, holding XZ as his pawn which in turn would ensure LGC comes back into the web he has laid out. There is also the still potential threat from Chenyue, assuming LBC escaped in a form of a crow after all, so there should be a final showdown between the two age-old bitter foes Tianqu and Chenyue. Pacing and cohesion remain valid issues as is inconsistency in character behaviour, which in turn makes me wonder if this would have been better addressed if we have had the originally intended 68 episodes. Ludicrous scenes are rife, like the ease with which JY gets caught every single time, despite the fact that he is such a seasoned warrior; how quickly conflicts and concerns between various parties are resolved, which feels highly unrealistic. LGC's reactions to blood during his amnesia state seem to vary - from immediate rampage, to being terrified, to almost but not quite killing YTZ, to not even blinking an eye when the transformed General Fei's blood flowed on the ground after being killed. And let's not get started on how quickly he heals after the brutal battle with LBC and the Chiya, to be able to ride off to Qingyang so soon after sustaining massive injuries.

Regardless of my gripes, I truly hope that the last 12 episodes will see an improvement in these areas, giving us a satisfactory journey to the end. And that we will get a happy ending for all the characters we have come to care about after all...

ThslmPCDi46tb6MoQ9MjhPgYygCn-10kO2MceXDQemFUsH-DexNqC9AnvYfOtQYCXY93MFTqFlFAHwPw_sudq4l1ZegqyZF6lHU6PvuXpRntlw4YF5OsMZqgXleGduPoOmfDQLdA2FGxYcwNyBI9ClWFe-DfS3In_kiojI0EzDVjzGT1XqlVblzJlFWxIMlHhliBZI0lV9HW-bTx_ma45WXMdVF-Cm3ez9qP6EhFjFRsdFArzQvSr9QDcuWjO551ml9N9Txj_WzrhpWJpTgvkpmg6q44cFebCC2cnxPoUWGEov7QtBnj_y9IsaMzF-2k8t5Mc1TEtncy6xjTCWUHNyGjxPfcRR2wAEIryK9PtowlygtvOGKmIz68kbzeql3H96EYuq3lbLYAa5PquzG6sD-XrYqEUEH-lFIUBRqI5dlE8IJ_yryapyav81LWFICKaYS0GQ9GSyYNlWVfj6g3U4SYuNUGq88xJGLy7ftO-2Gbot0dJld1tYGmUoH2YePWsROHUAPxDg02OdSCSFjg2NrBNowqimFFBORLJEmDcIzknaBa9cy8Op_LCO_kbECmRM7518lXsqiNn0immtIQ7Zy6bK6H3QkyRDLI5lJ41uQSHZyjMslMIi05fQgXKOpQpIXGDbWzBrfF84-zm5hAHCWqOc1wnCE=w600-h364-noo_sHPk1OTcmvA1Q9CIhVmYXW2iLv6bEMpgmW0iMcSC3H3uSx134ZoOGqzurDAzSFo3MYVPAQelNtubj8E_S07z31K5JbsTrC7fGpvV_qvvIi7syDACkBk2oob8U3wVTYJv8DvS_LLarXtxM4KIgb-QrUSZ0cnoIqLPs45HfCC1FDLHpay0vY6hYjivRsA2vxJ_oCSeVVUNbpHPfyPau4ROkJtLji-t-PKgLOGCWOkA_rHLpV4OtZcEAihd9-E5Rdk0n-GrPPE8mb48IAcQgQkNOzJqIuizn9Qq2ooonPlGYErBYXugrGIMxBpr5QRG9RvNZT2GS6aaW0jcF3wSS-wKJu9TbUNkDwAoGl3FzU9Fox3A1YTp_08LhQJ_QAZz-MPfjsnzZT7l6rP75ZzA13qUSlwpXzn_4uH9q8YPqdpZBsA-vK4NGitqT84qiHni_bjwjTCCJKan8BUiXaIt0Fi4OCUheu-0p03S6JO-C8peEBTCboe3Mz_xHX0eC8GNPPTaKxpcolMSbZQGV0GCZS6OqLM-WYQ4tXYdMY4sBBTPDxKY6XEA5GNQhT-roZsNcztlwisolBaW606feQ0JNTkAUeXxhBKtIUSq3MHjreIl7zXYvTr-b06KLov1hJ5GuZtf1JzEEckJn71Xk1SwzJyUvUT5qgkuI=w600-h338-no

46 minutes ago, liddi said:

From what I read, the drama has deviated markedly from the source material. In the original, Yuran was caught between JY and LGC and ultimately chose someone else, even though author Jiang Nan confirmed that the one she loved was JY.

chose someone else? the third guy? she is like that playgirl? :flushed:

Maybe I missed a lot, because I am waiting for the subs....but what really bothers me is the fact that Asule seems to have changed from main character to side character....there were only some short scenes in ep 43 und 44..but where was he in ep 45+46..nowhere:angry:

I have to be honest, I don´t care for Yu Ran´s storyline at all..

This drama started so promising, but the script has become messed up..or should I rather say "watered" down...there are so many storylines, that none has the chance to properly develop. The last episodes rather feel like an intro to 2 different dramas: Yu Ran, her tribe and her love story with Ji Ye and then Asule with his destiny and the upcoming fight with his brothers.

There are only 10 episodes left and I fear that this will be another drama with a half-baked and unsatisfying ending.

4 hours ago, a_tumiwa said:

chose someone else? the third guy? she is like that playgirl? :flushed:

That's a little unfair. Asule and Ji Ye didn't marry who they want too. Does that make them playboys? It's all political marriage.

2 hours ago, Asgarla said:

Maybe I missed a lot, because I am waiting for the subs....but what really bothers me is the fact that Asule seems to have changed from main character to side character....there were only some short scenes in ep 43 und 44..but where was he in ep 45+46..nowhere:angry:

This drama started so promising, but the script has become messed up..or should I rather say "watered" down...there are so many storylines, that none has the chance to properly develop. The last episodes rather feel like an intro to 2 different dramas: Yu Ran, her tribe and her love story with Ji Ye and then Asule with his destiny and the upcoming fight with his brothers.

There are only 10 episodes left and I fear that this will be another drama with a half-baked and unsatisfying ending.

While Asule is billed as the main character, I've always felt that Novoland, as fantasy epic is bound to be ensemble cast, otherwise it wouldn't really be an epic. From what I've gathered, in the books, he's more like an observer in the Eastern Lands, and they blitzed through most of Northern Lands stuff so mhm. Asule is also with Xiao Zhou, who has rapidly become the most hated character in the cast, so mhmmmm.

I've become rapidly detached from the drama that I don't really care about what happens in general, but I still feel compelled to finish the drama oops. I'm personally pretty happy that finally, someone out of our young cast is getting on the path they are destined to be on instead of dillydallying for whatever reasons, and it does wrap up a fairly important side plot. In the past 40 episodes, Ji Ye was sort of working his way towards being a general for half of the first arc (so 30 episodes ago), Xiao Zhou have always been working towards a goal, but she took a break after Asule came back to life (10+ episodes ago), and Asule...just...made...connections?

I dun understand Y so many ppl hated XZ, its becos she has too much screentime? I tot she acted really well n her character is such that she is in an special position. Seems like 4 of them will end up being alone for the rest of their lives...…...suddenly Asule is worthless overnight. I dunno if the writers wanna just end things conveniently for YR n JY, just touched and go for the Wing Tribe unnecessary ppl die and 1 save the land etc.....All settled in 4 episodes or shld I say 2 epi n bits of here n there.....

@a_tumiwa From what I know of the book, YR met JY first, and LGC later. The three of them bonded naturally and later they merged with others to create 乱世结盟 League of Turbulent Times. She was torn when both men fell in love with her, though she admitted to YTZ before leaving Nanhuai that she loved one (JY) and saw the other as a close friend and comrade. Ultimately, unable to choose between them, she opted to be with one of the leaders of Tianqu - assassin 龙襄 Long Xiang. Based on this, YR never toyed with any of their feelings, but made the decision not to choose either of them because to choose one would be to hurt the other.

@skibbies @firipy I do not understand the hate for XZ either. Actually I love her character very much, just as I do YR - just in different ways. YR is a joy because she is artless, always upfront, wearing her heart on her sleeve for all to see. XZ on the other hand, is sharp, poised and selfless - it is evident that every decision she makes is never for herself, but for those she loves - first her royal brother, then LGC, and the Chuwei army who are threatened with attack from the Lower Tang army stationed at the capital if LGC does not return to Nanhuai. I just hope that somehow, all 4 of them will find happiness in their lives, in whatever form, having experienced so much personal loss already.

@skibbies For me, out of the 4, only one purpose got waylaid along the way, and that is LGC's. His primary reason for becoming a hostage at Lower Tang was in exchange for provisions for his people, yet since then, that concern seems to be forgotten amidst all that happened. There was never any lofty purpose in JY apart from being acknowledged for who he is, while YR clearly was happy as long as she could be with her two closest friends so her destiny was something that was thrust upon her, not one she actually sought or wanted. Of the 4, XZ knew from the start what her purpose was, but that goal no longer had relevance once her brother died. Now her only wish is to protect LGC and let him go home, a whole person physically and emotionally, which, by the departure at Shangyang Pass, she has accomplished. As such, if I am not wrong, the last 12 episodes will see LGC rise to succeed his father and lead Tianqu into a definitive war against Chenyue. Just my 2 cents... 

13 hours ago, Asgarla said:

This is connected with Tribes and EMpires right? Tribes and EMpires had a really good beginning nut we were all left hanging at the end. 

Novoland Eagle FLag has a really good start too.... it was fast paced during the earlier eps but its starting to drag now..... maybe bcos my ship has sunk that's why im feeling like this but i really hope it has a good ending

2 hours ago, NicoleChen said:

i like the princess too, it shows drama up to 56 eps, Asule deserves to be loved.

He does and I am pretty happy with all the gifs and screencaps i've seen in weibo today. 

I have finally let go of my delulu ship! Lol 

I really hope we get 56 eps! It cant end at 50!

It feels like its the plot is starting to move again at 46 lol 

WTF is happening!!! 

Suma and Qin are Alive!??! 

SUMA CAN SPEAK?

I am soo confused. I'll drop this drama first them comeback after all the eps are subbed (if I can, its actually driving me mad! Lol I want to watch it subbed now)

I thought it will be a happy ending, my hopes are up!! Now future seems bleak! 

Most people in Weibo are not happy with what has happened in the drama so far. I have seen post saying they are abandoning the drama. Ugh i really want to watch it with subs now. 

Sorry if you guys find mw annoying. I have no other venue to rant and express my thoughts and feelings regarding this drama

Archived