Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Novoland: Eagle Flag 九州缥缈录

@a_tumiwa Do note that I don't pretend to properly understand the complexities of the Novoland universe, but this is what I have deduced based on what has been revealed in the drama so far. Upper Tang (上唐 Shang Tang) is not 大胤国 Great Yin (Dayin). It is merely one of many dukedoms under the Great Yin kingdom, which is ruled by the emperor. The capital of Great Yin kingdom is the city of Tianqi, where the emperor resides. 

I don't watch the drama with English subs. However, any translator who takes up the momentous task of translating it deserves much respect and gratitude. It is difficult to translate all the terminologies, particularly in historical dramas, since there may not be a corresponding English word that appropriately describes it and all its nuances. The use of the word "princess" is one example. Also, one word may have different meanings depending on the context. For example the word 世子 shi zi which is used widely to describe LGC or YWY's son, can mean crown prince, or simply heir. The use of the word 国 (country/kingdom) in referring to the different dukedoms - e.g. 下唐国 Lower Tang kingdom, 离国 Li kingdom - is also confusing especially when the actual 大胤国 Great Yin kingdom also uses that same word. Oftentimes, delving too much into the actual detail of the nuances makes the translation of the dialogue cumbersome and stilted. So I can understand why words are just used as is, without going into the various interpretations.

• Like 5

On 7/29/2019 at 12:24 PM, liddi said:

I do have my gripes about how events unfold. LGC's failed haphazard rescue of JY, outsmarted by the Duke and General Tuoba seems out of character for him, though I guess it could be attributed to his youth and inexperience. Nonetheless it felt jarring since he was patient and bid his time in exacting revenge for Su Ma not too long ago. In addition, General Tuoba's sudden control over the Chiya prisoners of war with his knowledge of the correct incantation to keep them under his will seems to come out of left field, accentuated by his subsequent cruelty and apparent turn to the dark side. Perhaps he was merely wearing a mask all this while, but for someone who not too long ago at Gubei Pass, was a formidable, heroic warrior, this change threw me off. 

This was a really lovely write-up!!  But this particular part caught my attention because you are right that Tuoba's transition seemed to come from nowhere.  I went back and rewatched some of General Tuoba's portions from the beginning and then Gong Yuyi's to better compare these two servants (? if you can really call them that?) of Duke Baili...

Imo, they're both really shady lol.  I didn't realize it as I was watching initially, but two particular conversations leapt out at me on rewatching.  For Tuoba, it was his "friendly" advice to JiYe about how to advance in the world, which led to JiYe traveling to the Li capital for the assault.  Those are not the words of a hero.  They're the words of a climber, a man with ambition.  Similarly with Gong Yuyi.  She is willing to bind her niece in marriage (to a man who is, luckily for YuRan, nothing like Baili Yin) all for the purpose of restoring the Yu Clan. 

I actually really like that most of the characters introduced so far are all on this spectrum of being compromised by their circumstances and their goals.  It feels very true to life, in this fantastical, larger-than-life, type drama.  Hopefully, we'll get to see more of precisely why Tuoba is the way he is.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, a_tumiwa said:

<cut your picture>

who is this man?

Isn't he one of the members of Chenyue?  One of the people who are working for Lei Beichen.  At the very least, Duke Baili recognized him as being from the Li country. 

• Like 1

@a_tumiwa By Yin I assume you mean Dayin Kingdom. It's right in the center where it says 中州 zhong zhou, middle continent. Right next to it, there's faded hard to read 王域 Wang Yu, King's territory, below it is in slightly brighter colours is 天启城 Tianqi Cheng, City of Tianqi. Under it is 宛州 wan zhou, where 楚卫 Chu Wei dukedom (?) is located. It shows up in ep 28, so just noting it here. (下唐 Xiatang and 南淮城 City of Nanhuai is to the left, for other people who might be looking at the map)

I almost said I can't found Li, but I found it! To the right is 澜州 lan zhou, to the left of it is 陈 Chen, below it is 离 Li (just above the cropped out continent name). Above chen, there's 休 Xiu, and to top right there's 晋北 Jin Bei. There's other place names, but I haven't paid too much attention to these so I'll just skip them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been watching the raw episodes, so a lot of what is happening I do not understand.  Is there website with a good novel translation? I want to know what will happen to Asule. Will Jiye and Yuran be together or will Yuran figure out that Asule is the man for her? 

thanks skibbies,

any idea where is the battle at Gubeikou ? its mean Old North Gate right?

the path to capital from Li is actually shorter than to xiatang if we see the map , but looks like there are high mountain terrain that block the path 

it's also said that the Yu (winged tribe, gong yuyi's homeland) is in far north and far east,  but the text is just too blur

• Like 1

19 hours ago, a_tumiwa said:

thanks skibbies,

any idea where is the battle at Gubeikou ? its mean Old North Gate right?

the path to capital from Li is actually shorter than to xiatang if we see the map , but looks like there are high mountain terrain that block the path 

it's also said that the Yu (winged tribe, gong yuyi's homeland) is in far north and far east,  but the text is just too blur

I thought it was 古北口 Old North Gate too, because there's a town (and section of Great Wall) near Beijing with the same name. But no, it's 古碑口 Old/Ancient Tablet Gate or something. I've looked high and low for Gubeikou but can't find it in any of the maps I found. To be fair, some were based off old version of the map, and one was new version but didn't have anything labeled. The old map had more dukedoms (Shangtang/Upper Tang for example should be just to the north of Xiatang) listed, IDK if they are omitted from the drama or they forgot to slap it on there. I think I saw some of them mentioned, oh well, minor details.

Anyways, I've seen comments that the battle is drama original?? Since it's entirely mysterious how Li would go through Xiatang to get to Tianqi. Especially when Chuwei is in direct path if you go straight. However, none of the maps actually show how the dukedoms are divided (none of them have borders, it's super annoying) so I guess Xiatang could border Li somehow.

The Winged Tribe was located in upper right, in the Northern Land (? idk how they translated this), across the sea from Lan zhou. It's named 青州 Qing zhou in drama (the map in drama briefly shows it) and newer version of the book, but it used to be 宁州 Ning zhou. The name was changed when they redid the maps. It might be relevant if you happen to watch any other Novoland series.Jiang Nan, the author had a massive falling out with co-creators of Novoland 10+ years ago so he changed some of the geography, history and Wing Tribe setting, I think.

Novoland is called 九州 Jiu zhou, nine continent in Chinese. I mentioned four already, the cropped out one in the map is 越州 Yue zhou, where we started at the beginning of the drama is 瀚州 Han zhou, 殇州 is to the right of that. (Qing zhou is to the left if you are keeping track) Then there's 云州 Yun zhou and 雷州 Lei zhou that's totally not relevant to us across the sea in Western Land. There are also other race besides Winged Tribe in Novoland but I don't think they are really relevant here.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:45 AM, tarjig said:

I have been watching the raw episodes, so a lot of what is happening I do not understand.  Is there website with a good novel translation? I want to know what will happen to Asule. Will Jiye and Yuran be together or will Yuran figure out that Asule is the man for her? 

The drama diverge significantly from the books I believe, and the story was also never finished lol. I really think this series should have giant writing that says "don't come in for the romance" everywhere it's mentioned.

Spoiler

From what I've been told, none of them ends well. We'll see how the drama handles it, but I really don't think Yuran and Asule will work out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread. I have curiosity about princess Xiao Zhou. Does anyone know how her character in the novel? And how she is in the drama? I know the main couple for this drama is yuran and ji ye and couple of ppl who's already read the book said so, but i haven't read it so i don't really know. That's why i'm curious about asule and xiao zhou dynamic in the drama. 

I got this from weibo

0Ax6s4T.jpg

@hamajiin the book, Xiao Zhou was 10 years younger. A girl that Asule saved. Hence, for this drama's viewership experience, this character under went some modifications. So, let us rest and follow this awesome drama as it unfold it's many layers of "awesomeness". Episode 32 ended with a unbearable cliff hanger!!!! Arghhhhh. I recalled there was a captured wolf Lord/Asule's grand dad in the dungeon. I wonder why waste this character? Perhaps, he will have more screen time in the future episodes. I have so many questions...will he be the ONE who helps Asule to regain "behavioral normality"?

• Like 5

This drama is keeping me in suspense.Quite a cliffhanger epi.32. I do feel very sad for Yuran when Asule died.Still even without sub ,it is a tear jerker.Quite confusing on whom Yuran really loves per her aunt’s interpretation.Couldn’t wait for the coming episodes.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So my fellow YouTube viewers, who else was crying when they finally understood all of the crap JiYe was spewing in that rain scene in ep19? :dissapointed_relieved:  I can’t believe the audacity of this kid, trying to play like he doesn’t love Yuran.  And what was even the point?  Duke Baili, General Tuoba and probably all of Xiatang know that Asule/Yuran/JiYe are “a thing” at this point.   He should’ve just told her he liked her, especially because at that point death was pretty certain.  Ugh.  

Edited by yonaomi123
Haha. I’ve been off soompi too long. I forgot curses get turned into ‘Richard Simmons’ lol.
  • Like 1

I have just watched episode 34..and OMG..so much is happening..and the last minutes have me sitting on the edge of my seat...I can´t wait for the subs to really understand, what is going on...this is the drama, I am looking forward to each day!

• Like 2

This drama is keeping me in suspense.Quite a cliffhanger epi.32. I do feel very sad for Yuran when Asule died.Still even without sub ,it is a tear jerker.Quite confusing on whom Yuran really loves per her aunt’s interpretation.Couldn’t wait for the coming episodes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, littlemay said:

Ep 30 to 32 was OMG!!!  Don't understand why this forum is so quiet. :blink:

maybe because not many people understand chinese language, so they can only watch up to ep 19 :D 

Wow 33-34, I would like to know what is aunt telling Yuran...don't understand anything
Yeah subtitle only up to 19...
I still like yuran more, because the princess is still the same character, I cannot warm up to her, she is really ncie and warm, but no smiling and and fun or some strong character.

• Like 1