Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Novoland: Eagle Flag 九州缥缈录

On 7/17/2019 at 2:21 AM, angelangie said:

sometimes when they cut it ....the editing will be bad....and sometimes when they prolong it.....it make the drama which seems exciting to be boring sigh.....production need a better grip on their drama

this is also one of the downsides i hate of Cdrama other than that i have no complain...... :)

That's my worry too.  It seems to be a problem with too many C-dramas: either dragged out and badly edited or rushed and badly edited with a dissatisfying ending.  It' a sad as it seems like all this censorship and cuts is harming the quality of many dramas with potential.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, raziela said:

That's my worry too.  It seems to be a problem with too many C-dramas: either dragged out and badly edited or rushed and badly edited with a dissatisfying ending.  It' a sad as it seems like all this censorship and cuts is harming the quality of many dramas with potential.

guess we can only keep our fingers cross

• Like 2

Watched the first two episodes, the production quality and CGI... wow.

I can't understand the reason of delaying/stopping this show to broadcast in the Chinese TV because this right here is quality content. I just hope that this continue until the end of this show.

So yeah, the first two episodes got me hooked to the story line, i got some opinions here and there but this could easily be in my top 5 wuxia/xanxia shows that ive watched.

• Like 5

Novoland was definitely one of the highly anticipated dramas and i am glad that finally eng subs are out i will start it after few episodes as it would be hard to wait 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 1:32 PM, angelangie said:

the setting in Novoland

The set built for Legend of Demon Cat, and used in last year's Rise of the Phoenixes and Ever Night. The hallway (?) and lead up to the palace is SO recognisable.

@raziela while censhorship comes into play sometimes, more often than not I think it's investor request, and screenwriters not having enough control/good enough to pace the show properly. Rating-wise, 1% is pretty great for a non-primetime weekly slot, especially considering the lower rating trends recently.

The criticisms so far have been major changes to certain characters and world building, I think. I haven't really followed it, since I didn't read the book. The show opened a little chaoticly but I think it was reasonably easy to follow. 6 ep in, I'm not fully on board yet, but will keep watching.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, skibbies said:

The set built for Legend of Demon Cat, and used in last year's Rise of the Phoenixes and Ever Night. The hallway (?) and lead up to the palace is SO recognisable.

I wonder if Chen Kaige still owns that set.  So many dramas are filming there now he would be making bank! :lol:

12 hours ago, skibbies said:

@raziela while censhorship comes into play sometimes, more often than not I think it's investor request, and screenwriters not having enough control/good enough to pace the show properly.

That's definitely a problem too.  So many C-dramas where supporting characters suddenly have an inordinate amount of screentime it's embarrassingly obvious investors and agencies are calling the shots.  And, yes, some is just simply poor writing.

13 hours ago, skibbies said:

Rating-wise, 1% is pretty great for a non-primetime weekly slot, especially considering the lower rating trends recently.

The criticisms so far have been major changes to certain characters and world building, I think. I haven't really followed it, since I didn't read the book. The show opened a little chaoticly but I think it was reasonably easy to follow. 6 ep in, I'm not fully on board yet, but will keep watching.

I'm happy to see this getting good ratings. It's obvious everyone involved put so much effort into this drama and things were looking pretty bleak a month ago so this must be a relief.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, skibbies said:

@raziela while censhorship comes into play sometimes, more often than not I think it's investor request, and screenwriters not having enough control/good enough to pace the show properly. Rating-wise, 1% is pretty great for a non-primetime weekly slot, especially considering the lower rating trends recently.

i think somehow most of the setting are almost the same...and usually i dont really take much note or compare the setting in between lols.....

roof are always about he same dont you think? :D 

• Like 1

It took me a while to get into the drama, requiring 3 sittings to finish the 12 episodes aired thus far. It would not be an exaggeration to say that I watched the first 3 episodes with a great deal of impatience and annoyance. After the hype leading up to the broadcast, not to mention the unexpected cancellation, it was bitterly disappointing to be so underwhelmed by a haphazard introduction that is punctuated by stilted dialogue, repetitive statements, awkward performances and poorly edited scenes which does a slipshod job of establishing the universe to a newbie like me. What should have been emotionally charged scenes, such as the massacre at the opening scene and Asule's loss of those dear to him, falls flat, while everything else felt rushed with little continuity. I have to wonder if this is the result of the drama being reduced from 65 to 56 eps. If so, it is really a shame since the drama would have benefited far more with a better structured, well-paced opening. On the other hand, it is also frustrating to see little care given to details such as etiquette. Whether in the grasslands or Eastern Lands, such details are overlooked, which, coupled with the awkward dialogue, did not help the viewing experience at all. Still, I have had enough interest in the drama beforehand to persevere on, hoping that these issues are merely teething problems which would be ironed out in subsequent episodes. And thankfully I did, because from Ep4 onwards, the narrative, pacing and script improved drastically.

There is a great deal to absorb, and I have not quite properly grasped the complexities of the universe yet, nor the mysticism behind it. However, the drama finally finds its footing as the plot intensifies upon LGC's move to the Eastern lands. The political and mystical landscape is fascinating - the weak king controlled by his aunt behind the scenes; the ruthlessly ambitious Duke of Li backed by the mysterious Lei Bicheng from the 辰月 Chenyue sect who is manipulating the scenes for his own hidden agenda; the wily Duke of Lower Tang who seeks to fortify his strength with a marriage alliance with Qingyang, while secretly plotting for the day when a mystical sword entrenched in the underground palace would be pulled out by its rightful master; the scattered 天驱 Tianqu organisation which stands for righteousness but now gone underground - identifiable by a unique ring they each possess; the unusual blood curse that befalls LGC's family and himself, the consequences of which remain unknown for now. There is a fine balance between the fantasy elements and the political intrigues which is beautifully handled thus far. The characters, rich and diverse with less than obvious motivations, provide an added layer to the tapestry that is woven, and in the short time they have been introduced, have deftly drawn me to them.

The cinematography is breathtaking, finding its pinnacle in the battle at Gubei Pass, spectacular, devastating. Likewise, the one-on-one verbal confrontation between XY and Duke of Li on the eve of battle is just as deadly as physical warfare, with the gauntlet thrown down at the end. The highlight of the battle for me is JY's single-handed charge right into the heart of the enemy, suffering terrible injuries at the hand of the Duke of Li, and his refusal to betray his principles even in the face of death, giving up his last card to survive, which ultimately wins YWY's respect. What must surely be his last heart-wrenching cry: "My name is Ji Ye! Ye as in the wilderness!" moves me to tears not for the first time. My heart has a special place for this lonely boy who has nothing for so long - no family who loves him, no status, despised by all until he met YR and LGC... and he makes me hurt for him as not even LGC can.

YO9X5bIHoOXhG6WKhrBI_gBGSduTEmusgjV9gPKkPd6aMNN-5zVCSvJeIStNQhGvpi5V4QhB81Iz1cf4EPIc8E3W7S14AbLlpnTSqslY9onqcS3Ar_JRurKoliUlnlveGMPBuqLSXUdQOPhgI4HI8Y7AX-SfOhLe74hxAZH6e9soputccU1VKrSwzlarmYRupL66jssiiXKa-zUiwxPbd6NRaktnrzZ-02NE8lhZTyAbmYzkjLxTyFVkfUBZxuIKMajTlKH5xyiiLxdvh8MvNhnJzLnpC7W2WDlHZPy7NXDHyAQzJkYJSmvwxlz2Onk5GPU8Vb5GsTCx06pYCkpxhgWzqpuD_dTXOiPqVjE1PPz4rQZ_YEifRkSsvkRYjbTZrtCTEJwXvUuY5N87fI52s5_RpzceaKe9l_-6Lv4rjgSw4R6NGntiHxDRSEPslnvvDT2DgkAJD0PSC0tpuGPFR4ia6-RjNCcFNspumCvxwlG8k8I-et3m-GZcCNwIYJDBf7J5BSH0iHolcrqCFQmd4CpUNS-4k4JdMmi8QJpzZDlVa5JtlOjLn036bohuF0cgFL6QY9IIlvrfN60356sha7Fe80UUO3g2WpxUmLMwpEU3iYn1r0cXaxbjuntw4Z_ic1CCmjFuUB04vu_SkPYQx1JhokZGPV4=w800-h450-no

To be honest, I had my reservations about the story being centered around the three young leads, and apart from Liu Haoran, I am unfamiliar with the other two. However, both Song Zu'er and Chen Ruoxuan both captivated me from the get go, and I now adore them just as much as I do LHR - all three having made the roles their own - LGC's compassion and gentleness belying a steely resolve and strategic mind; YR's free-spirited, sassy nature the perfect fodder to her two newfound friends' more broody temperament; and JY's bitter loneliness and desperate need to be seen for himself, not someone insignificant or disposable. The chemistry between the three of them is palpable and alive, and the unusual friendship that has been cemented between the three lonely youngsters in a faraway land, is the bright spot in this otherwise dark tale where death is but a hair's breath away and enemies lurk in every corner. Truly love them!

lxKvJfOoHzafTD_-jshA4b1DwuVHR9PoJcFMT9I7ATqSzdDM599THmqAVZfhSDh0-tKK6MFmXlsHYT0-ihWarBkt75s_4x8b1fnlHnUhxuFKbd5_BfPAgPh1tBG6fv5hlVRy-OsISLh6VdvxTG0yjAsKCeSSra5NO0KUrkOv1KcN3EoTnJgf6TDgl86WQJnCRi0qbZx8-ZX3Uakbp6n1Du5eCGwjAriPI7SqmgzzAx8ZjLo-mpCSSgIogZyu2x5dUpBHqmoQJc400y0zRl3DcBhsDv064Z4he7rZmQ9qv44YWzsj7Hj5KxfcbPp0N8pS0hgGUWy-YWsLsXNfRQYVN-H5xZM2OLds84dHFgLtIDsjK4RvCngBo0RlHw3kOIetZG2hqzjOSeSGTDpISl-otLJCQSqCCMLuo8z0u0ADbUTcSGwJBw_2tTdgTeW3sJ-pAY0nq-HwS9hd0qoTwSqLzPxebrp7oSeSYW9HXxiSLiIbRtTY-Kjx-M2gcHWcEEjq1b_G-IvruYCb0pcpONGae_A2a1zzZrTSeGDRG-p3RwB-y7URtCQkmwDRZ13ewvMIWINXqZcclxr5kh1oNeNh3j2v_rTY-dcroTSKUCXnmlFQ6qt9P0n0MO90I38e4t_sy2-tOeUx_rlr6BQZsVGO6D5fZ_OeF3M=w800-h450-no

Safe to say, after an uneven start, NEF has gone from strength to strength, leaving me eager for more. Fingers crossed that it continues to outdo itself and bring us through a breathtaking journey all the way to the end.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Nice, we got 2 more episodes this week. (So this might be a possibility of 6 episodes every week friday-sunday)

Episode 3 is premiering live in the next 45+ minutes @

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

keep this playlist, it will be sub  the official youtube  channel

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 7/20/2019 at 12:15 PM, liddi said:

It took me a while to get into the drama, requiring 3 sittings to finish the 12 episodes aired thus far. It would not be an exaggeration to say that I watched the first 3 episodes with a great deal of impatience and annoyance. After the hype leading up to the broadcast, not to mention the unexpected cancellation, it was bitterly disappointing to be so underwhelmed by a haphazard introduction that is punctuated by stilted dialogue, repetitive statements, awkward performances and poorly edited scenes which does a slipshod job of establishing the universe to a newbie like me. What should have been emotionally charged scenes, such as the massacre at the opening scene and Asule's loss of those dear to him, falls flat, while everything else felt rushed with little continuity. I have to wonder if this is the result of the drama being reduced from 65 to 56 eps. If so, it is really a shame since the drama would have benefited far more with a better structured, well-paced opening. On the other hand, it is also frustrating to see little care given to details such as etiquette. Whether in the grasslands or Eastern Lu, such details are overlooked, which, coupled with the awkward dialogue, did not help the viewing experience at all. Still, I have had enough interest in the drama beforehand to persevere on, hoping that these issues are merely teething problems which would be ironed out in subsequent episodes. And thankfully I did, because from Ep4 onwards, the narrative, pacing and script improved drastically.

Safe to say, after an uneven start, NEF has gone from strength to strength, leaving me eager for more. Fingers crossed that it continues to outdo itself and bring us through a breathtaking journey all the way to the end.

Wow!  This is an incredible review.  Really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the episodes so far :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Although the protagonist of the drama is played by two young actors, they all have powerful acting skills, and the scenes and costumes are also beautiful, so I am willing to watch it on Tencent video using paid plexvpn.:wub:

• Like 2

liuhaoranintl.com has some fantastically detailed and thoughtful episode recaps that are incredibly helpful for anyone like me who is waiting for English subs:

Ep 1 - 2

https://liuhaoranintl.com/2019/07/20/novoland-eagle-flag-recap-episodes-1-2/

Ep 3-4

https://liuhaoranintl.com/2019/07/21/novoland-eagle-flag-episodes-3-4/

Ep 5-6

https://liuhaoranintl.com/2019/07/23/novoland-eagle-flag-episodes-5-6/

:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I know that my opinion will not be a popular one but I am going to express it all the same   i do not like Yuran all that much. She is causing a lot of problems.  She will also cause more problems for the boys. Hoping this changes.  From the moment she interacted with Ji Ye her character has bothered me. Again, hoping that changes.  

So far, all of her visions have been her caught deciding between Ji Ye and Asule. But I think she loves Ji Ye. 

The visions that the boys get are more profound.  Asule's visions are hard to understand while Ji Ye's helps him understand himself.  I hope that in future episodes i will be able to see what the writers are trying to convey.  

This drama is fantastic.  The cinematography is shot beautifully.  I hope the drama is picked up by Viki soon so that the subs will come out faster because for a non speaker of the language, a lot is hard to understand. 

EP 16 WAS EPIC!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tarjig said:

I hope the drama is picked up by Viki soon

Apparently it has been picked up by viki and I saw on Twitter it should start airing in a  week or so. Hope it's true as there is no formal confirmation yet:D

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 12:26 AM, tarjig said:

I know that my opinion will not be a popular one but I am going to express it all the same   i do not like Yuran all that much. She is causing a lot of problems.  She will also cause more problems for the boys. Hoping this changes.  From the moment she interacted with Ji Ye her character has bothered me. Again, hoping that changes.  

I do understand what you mean about Yuran. I sometimes find her character very frustrating and I wish they had made her a bit more wise and bit less impulsive.

I so wish the drama wasn't going down the predictable love triangle route too because it's making me resent her character even though I know it's not fair. Apparently the marriage subplot wasn't in the books either.

• Like 1