[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Novoland: Eagle Flag 九州缥缈录

sugarplum892

Ohh my first post here...I love the series, watched it to 22 raw, and 14 with sub (youtube)...Now viki has the rights, yahooo....

I like asules character, like @tarjig wrote, Asule puts everybody ahead of himself, he think of the ppl, he is getting stronge rin head, but still at the beginning and his body, still ill, I think he will get stronger  after some big deal. It is sad to see the rwas, where asule and  Ji Ye are taking different ways...I have to say, Yuran was a girl when they met her, she is also the youngiest isn't she? Sometimes she is more mature, I still hope, she will see Asule for what he is. Sometimes she is looking at him. I don't like the new princess ...she is nice, looks like she is ok, but no fire no connection. Still waiting for yuran to mature and be good with asule...

@liddi thank you for your long review and summary. It is really nice to read.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this drama will end ...sad, but do You also think that the beginning, the first 3 Minutes from episode 1 is the end? I mean like one loanly surviver there with the boy putting the little boats ( like memory or something) on. can somebody read what is written there?

Can we post links here? I will try, does anybody knows the totle and singer of this song? Love the song so much, but it is so short here

@Michaela Heimlich The words on the paper boat says "水畔听钟了却了此生", which means "Having listened to the bell by the water, thus ends this life."

I have not read the books in its entirety before, merely snippets here and there. However, from what little I have read in passages relating to that scene, the old man was the old duke 文睿 Wen Rui of Lower Tang. For years, he would always stop at the bridge by Phoenix Lake to listen to the tolling of the large copper bell - a gift from the Rose Emperor to the Baili family 700 years ago - from 文庙 Temple of Literature. As he listened to the bell, he would inscribe verses of poetry on to paper which he folded into paper boats and let adrift on the lake. The old duke passed away at 70 years old at the bridge, once again, letting adrift paper boats, and on the very last boat that was retrieved, were the words "水畔听钟七十年,便了却了此生" "Having listened to the bell by the water for 70 years, thus ends this life." This is slightly different to the inscription in the drama, and without the "70 years" reference, particularly for viewers who never read the book and won't have no idea who the old man by the lake is, I guess it is anyone's guess whether it still refers to a historical figure of Lower Tang, or perhaps as you say, the last survivor of the turmoil to come.

The song is 长生诀 Formula to Longevity, and is sung by 西瓜JUN. It was first released in Aug 2016.

You can hear the full length version here:

I beg to differ. I really like "Zho" princess, more than Yu Ran. I find YR very irritating, not knowledgeable and unable to appreciate all the loving kindness showered on her by Asule. as a matter of fact, I love the general's character (I forgot his name. The chief warlord who resides in palace now) his lines are very witty. This show, this far, ( I watched until episode 28), is very captivating. Liu Haoran protrayed Asule to perfection despite his young age. I am going to be his fan for a long time to come.  

I am really enjoying this drama.Couldn’t wait for the subs.He is very expressive with his eyes,I feel sad that Yuhuan is not in love with him.Asule thinks like a mature adult unlike Yuran who still shows her immaturity. I ‘m hoping that she will show personality development in this drama and she will realized that A is a better person than Ji ye.I feel that she is so sympathetic with J considering his situation in life  and what she is experiencing is not true love but more of a pitiful love.

Sorry,it is Yuran instead of Yuhuan.I always think that the main actress always end up with the main lead but maybe not in this drama.I wanted A to have like an instant attraction  or show of indifference with the girl unlike the other princess. In Nirvana in Fire 2 , it took a long time for the main couple to realized that they are in love to each other considering the indifference at the start ,misunderstanding, and their goal in life. It was only at the end that they were together.

just watch ep 5

i dont understand, 

it was said that Baili Jinghong is the king of Xiatang kingdom, he has a son who is crown prince, and a daugther who is princess.

but why there is someone who has higher authority and power than him?

qe.jpg

@a_tumiwa
The one probably ruling is an Empress Dowager, this title is given to a mother of a young emperor who is deemed too young or incapable to rule. Empress Dowager are widow of the previous Emperor(father of the young Emperor). There are instances where there are Grand Empress Dowager, a title given to a grandmother(and is regent) of the current Emperor. 

@a_tumiwa @nasaan ka Alex? Xiatang is actually Lower Tang - the word for Lower is xia. The original Tang was historically split into two - Upper Tang and Lower Tang due to Chenyue's machinations. From what I understand, Lower Tang is not a kingdom per se, but one of many dukedoms (including Li, which YWY ruled over) under the fealty of the emperor. Baili Yu is not the crown prince, but rather the heir to the dukedom. They use the word 郡主 to describe Baili Jinghong's daughter (and later YR), but that particular title for "princess" is meant for the daughter of a prince, not a king. 

On the other hand, the Grand Princess, oldest sister of the previous emperor and aunt to the current one, is the real power behind the throne. She was very likely the regent when the present emperor came to the throne at a young age, and she now plots to wrestle power for herself. She is referred to as 长公主 "Oldest Princess". Here, the title 公主 refers to the daughter of a king, which is befitting her rank as the sister of the previous emperor.

Hope this helps.

To be honest, I dont feel any connection on YR’s character, i dont mind her ending up with JY. I dont ship the main supposed to be couple. I rather see Asule not ending up with her, he deserves more than that, he’s better off without her. I missed SuMa, I felt more connection and spark on screen than YR. Or maybe I want an  Asule in my life, such loyal compassionate  and selfless young man, hoping he continues to grow stronger. Ive watched most of Haoran dramas, and found little less chemistry in most of his screen partners, I just simply enjoyed his characters  and performance, very captivating to see him on screen you wouldn't  need a romantic aspect of the story just him alone and plot lines are enough to kept you interested. He was able to hold his ground with or without a leading ladies.

I’m really enjoying this drama so far and the three main leads story development each unique in their own way. This might be a unpopular opinion but I don’t personally see why people need the feel to compare Ji Ye and Asule they are different in their own way, I don’t like the fact that some people want Ji Ye to become more ambitious and greedy so that later YR would like Asule. I personally like Ji Ye and YR together it’s different and refreshing. The main lead doesn’t need to always fall in love or get the girl to be great. Let’s just all enjoy the show ☺️ 

4 hours ago, liddi said:

@a_tumiwa @nasaan ka Alex? Xiatang is actually Lower Tang - the word for Lower is xia. The original Tang was historically split into two - Upper Tang and Lower Tang due to Chenyue's machinations. From what I understand, Lower Tang  is not a kingdom per se, but one of many dukedoms (including Li, which YWY ruled over) under the fealty of the emperor. Baili Yin is not the crown prince, but rather the heir to the dukedom, though he is actually not Baili Jinghong's birth son. They use the word 郡主 to describe Baili Jinghong's daughter (and later YR), but that particular title for "princess" is meant for the daughter of a prince, not a king. 

On the other hand, the Grand Princess, oldest sister of the previous emperor and aunt to the current one, is the real power behind the throne. She was very likely the regent when the present emperor came to the throne at a young age, and she now plots to wrestle power for herself. She is referred to as 长公主 "Oldest Princess". Here, the title 公主 refers to the daughter of a king, which is befitting her rank as the sister of the previous emperor.

Hope this helps.

oh so its like that.

looks like the youtube translator does not really understand the story or the proper word for the translation. 

but why the upper tang use other name instead? in TV drama they called Empire Dayin, in wikipedia, they use "Yin" kingdom

20190802-204329.jpg

@Dramalover23 greed and ambition in moderation is great for a person(in terms of development), it means that he have a goal. What irks me(and probably some viewers) is that his greed and ambition is too much at a point that he's destroying his relationship with the other two. That's the reason why I didn't like JiYe as a protagonist. I'd probably want him to become the main antagonist at the end of the story, without a chance of redemption.

But that's just my opinion. 

There's a romance subplot between the three young leads?? Why?? 

Honestly, Ji Ye needs to focus on his career and education. Asule obviously has to try to stay alive amidst the bloodshed between nations and even the fight for the throne in his own homeland. And Yu Ran clearly needs to get her own life since she's not planning on helping her aunt resurrect her kingdom. These kids ain't got no time for romance lmaooooo. 

It's normal for childhood friends to outgrow one another. The painful part here will be watching how these three will struggle through attempting to maintain their friendship. Actually, their families, politics, and personal loyalties are enough to come between all of them. Inserting a romantic subplot between them trivializes their identities, characters, and friendship. Sad. 

The romance between Lady Su and General Xi was just.... like dayum it hurt so good. 

All I can say is that this is one of the best drama I have seen aside from Princess agents.I couldn’t wait for the English subs. As someone said I love Asule with or without romance.This is like when I was watching NIF 2,cannot wait for the next episode. Still I would like to have another girl to show up with much chemistry with Asule. Yuran needs to transform herself to someone with maturity and goal.Unlike the other 2 with childhood experiences ,Yuran does not have any to show for why she acted as an immature and self centered person.Maybe a character development would be good.

@a_tumiwa Do note that I don't pretend to properly understand the complexities of the Novoland universe, but this is what I have deduced based on what has been revealed in the drama so far. Upper Tang (上唐 Shang Tang) is not 大胤国 Great Yin (Dayin). It is merely one of many dukedoms under the Great Yin kingdom, which is ruled by the emperor. The capital of Great Yin kingdom is the city of Tianqi, where the emperor resides. 

I don't watch the drama with English subs. However, any translator who takes up the momentous task of translating it deserves much respect and gratitude. It is difficult to translate all the terminologies, particularly in historical dramas, since there may not be a corresponding English word that appropriately describes it and all its nuances. The use of the word "princess" is one example. Also, one word may have different meanings depending on the context. For example the word 世子 shi zi which is used widely to describe LGC or YWY's son, can mean crown prince, or simply heir. The use of the word 国 (country/kingdom) in referring to the different dukedoms - e.g. 下唐国 Lower Tang kingdom, 离国 Li kingdom - is also confusing especially when the actual 大胤国 Great Yin kingdom also uses that same word. Oftentimes, delving too much into the actual detail of the nuances makes the translation of the dialogue cumbersome and stilted. So I can understand why words are just used as is, without going into the various interpretations.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:24 PM, liddi said:

I do have my gripes about how events unfold. LGC's failed haphazard rescue of JY, outsmarted by the Duke and General Tuoba seems out of character for him, though I guess it could be attributed to his youth and inexperience. Nonetheless it felt jarring since he was patient and bid his time in exacting revenge for Su Ma not too long ago. In addition, General Tuoba's sudden control over the Chiya prisoners of war with his knowledge of the correct incantation to keep them under his will seems to come out of left field, accentuated by his subsequent cruelty and apparent turn to the dark side. Perhaps he was merely wearing a mask all this while, but for someone who not too long ago at Gubei Pass, was a formidable, heroic warrior, this change threw me off. 

This was a really lovely write-up!!  But this particular part caught my attention because you are right that Tuoba's transition seemed to come from nowhere.  I went back and rewatched some of General Tuoba's portions from the beginning and then Gong Yuyi's to better compare these two servants (? if you can really call them that?) of Duke Baili...

Imo, they're both really shady lol.  I didn't realize it as I was watching initially, but two particular conversations leapt out at me on rewatching.  For Tuoba, it was his "friendly" advice to JiYe about how to advance in the world, which led to JiYe traveling to the Li capital for the assault.  Those are not the words of a hero.  They're the words of a climber, a man with ambition.  Similarly with Gong Yuyi.  She is willing to bind her niece in marriage (to a man who is, luckily for YuRan, nothing like Baili Yin) all for the purpose of restoring the Yu Clan. 

I actually really like that most of the characters introduced so far are all on this spectrum of being compromised by their circumstances and their goals.  It feels very true to life, in this fantastical, larger-than-life, type drama.  Hopefully, we'll get to see more of precisely why Tuoba is the way he is.

Archived