[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Novoland: Eagle Flag 九州缥缈录

sugarplum892

Apparently last minute broadcast cancellations has been the norm this year, and not just for period/fantasy dramas - even modern dramas like 我们都要好好的 Hope All is Well with Us, 破冰行动 The Thunder were suddenly yanked before finally being aired later. Several years ago, 大漠谣 Sound of the Desert encountered broadcast issues as well, and had to be redubbed so as not to refer to actual historical figures. Not sure how that would apply with Novoland, seeing it is a fantasy work in an imaginary universe. Fingers crossed that it is just a delay, meaning there is still hope it will see the light of day without going through substantial cuts in the editing room.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, liddi said:

Apparently last minute broadcast cancellations has been the norm this year, and not just for period/fantasy dramas - even modern dramas like 我们都要好好的 Hope All is Well with Us, 破冰行动 The Thunder were suddenly yanked before finally being aired later. Several years ago, 大漠谣 Sound of the Desert encountered broadcast issues as well, and had to be redubbed so as not to refer to actual historical figures. Not sure how that would apply with Novoland, seeing it is a fantasy work in an imaginary universe. Fingers crossed that it is just a delay, meaning there is still hope it will see the light of day without going through substantial cuts in the editing room.

its just richard simmons dumb that the show was confirmed to air and checked then gets delayed like 19mins before.. 

4 hours ago, FightSphere457 said:

China companies aren't good at public relations and don't really know how to handle controversial events.

According to this article, the official reasoning was "media reasons" which, IMO, is incredibly vague:

http://ent.163.com/19/0603/22/EGPF258A00038FO9.html

Personally, if there is a legitimate reason for this delay then I don't mind waiting a couple of extra days. Just hope they don't ban or censor the drama.

Eh, I wouldn't blame the companies, they were all hyping it up and none of them would have wanted to pull it suddenly since that literally means money down the drain. The way this is pulled is very clearly due to government, and they are never going to tell you the real reason. The companies can't give you anything because they literally don't know why it was pulled or when it can air. Official account also usually announce later than gossip since they need confirmation to say anything. I strongly doubt it's due to the exam because the exam happens every year at the same time, and it's so far fetched, I figured people just pop it out as a joke.

What gets aired this year have definitely been super up in the air, lots of dramas air on super short notice because there's lots of back and forth, and no one really knows when you get lucky or unlucky. 

Am suddenly reminded of 华胥引之绝爱之城 Hua Xu Yin: City of Desperate Love / The Lure of the Hua Xu Song which is also based on the 九州 Novoland universe and written by 唐七公子 who wrote TMOPB among others. Filming ended in 2013 and license granted end of that year, but was only broadcast Jul 2015. Is this last minute decision due to an issue with the universe? Or just fantasy genre in general? 

Keep trying to find silver linings to all this... and the only thing I can think of is that at least it is not in the predicament of The Gods, which leaves the viewers hanging with no finale. Fingers crossed that the hard work of the entire production team will not be for naught, and it will be broadcast to its completion hopefully soon. Am really sad to see all the posts by the cast leading up to the much-awaited broadcast. As much as we are disappointed, how much more saddened must they be.

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

hmmm.....suddenly air just right before airing....that is really bad 

Yeah they already confirmed it and then stopped it airing like 19 mins before really weird.. if this does not air soon ima be so sad and if they gotta demolish the show for it to air.. nooooo.

Eh, I don't think it's the SARFT's decision to yank it off air, if it was, they've had plenty of time to do it and not like right before the airing time, which was like 9:30pm. I've seen some theories on weibo that say either it's one of the companies having some issues (like Tencent) and having to halt the release so Youku and Zhejiang Official TV had no choice but to follow since all three were supposed to air at the same time. Another is that the show got reported by Hunan Official TV and hence why it got yanked off the air so quickly. There's just so many rumors flying around right now but hope the show airs soon or at least will be able to air without any substantial cuts.

11 hours ago, skibbies said:

Eh, I wouldn't blame the companies, they were all hyping it up and none of them would have wanted to pull it suddenly since that literally means money down the drain. The way this is pulled is very clearly due to government, and they are never going to tell you the real reason. The companies can't give you anything because they literally don't know why it was pulled or when it can air. Official account also usually announce later than gossip since they need confirmation to say anything. I strongly doubt it's due to the exam because the exam happens every year at the same time, and it's so far fetched, I figured people just pop it out as a joke.

What gets aired this year have definitely been super up in the air, lots of dramas air on super short notice because there's lots of back and forth, and no one really knows when you get lucky or unlucky. 

11 hours ago, liddi said:

Am suddenly reminded of 华胥引之绝爱之城 Hua Xu Yin: City of Desperate Love / The Lure of the Hua Xu Song which is also based on the 九州 Novoland universe and written by 唐七公子 who wrote TMOPB among others. Filming ended in 2013 and license granted end of that year, but was only broadcast Jul 2015. Is this last minute decision due to an issue with the universe? Or just fantasy genre in general? 

Keep trying to find silver linings to all this... and the only thing I can think of is that at least it is not in the predicament of The Gods, which leaves the viewers hanging with no finale. Fingers crossed that the hard work of the entire production team will not be for naught, and it will be broadcast to its completion hopefully soon. Am really sad to see all the posts by the cast leading up to the much-awaited broadcast. As much as we are disappointed, how much more saddened must they be.

9 hours ago, MidnightRain said:

Eh, I don't think it's the SARFT's decision to yank it off air, if it was, they've had plenty of time to do it and not like right before the airing time, which was like 9:30pm. I've seen some theories on weibo that say either it's one of the companies having some issues (like Tencent) and having to halt the release so Youku and Zhejiang Official TV had no choice but to follow since all three were supposed to air at the same time. Another is that the show got reported by Hunan Official TV and hence why it got yanked off the air so quickly. There's just so many rumors flying around right now but hope the show airs soon or at least will be able to air without any substantial cuts.

22 hours ago, liddi said:

It does not look good. Tencent, Youku and Zhejiang TV have removed it from the list of recommended watches. Someone on Weibo said that the production side has no idea when it will be broadcast either. Wonder what issue was encountered, to be pulled at the last minute.

16 hours ago, MidnightRain said:

I'm reading the rumors on weibo, and one popular idea is that the it's going to air on or after June 6th so that it doesn't affect the high schoolers taking their college entrance exams. :huh:

There's still no word from any official sources so it's annoying that they're just leaving the audiences hanging like that. -_-

This whole situation is insane.  How can they pull a drama from airing less than an hour before it's supposed to start?

Everyone was so excited, anticipating, counting down and then...nothing.  Even if it does air later on all the promo hype and lead up over the last few weeks is wasted.

I feel so sorry for the cast and crew. They worked very hard on this drama in some extremely inhospitable conditions.

I see now why most C-actors work non-stop barely taking a break between dramas, endorsements, simultaneously film variety shows, working themselves to exhaustion seeing how uncertain working on  Chinese dramas can be when you are never sure how, where, when or if your drama will ever air.

2 hours ago, skibbies said:

The drama was already approved for release a while back.

If govt wanted to pull this off air, they could have done it months ago. Seems weird to pull it right before it comes out.

I've actually heard another rumor that it might be related to the date 6/4. And this year especially with the current trade war, there's some political unease around this time. So I think they want to tread carefully. If this is the real reason, then the drama should be ok and will likely air at a later date *fingers crossed*..

5 hours ago, liddi said:

I don't think it's a Novoland problem, Tribes & Empire was promptly released. Liu Shishi's recent contemporary drama was stuck on the shelf for three years too and it's a pure romance afaik.

2 hours ago, FightSphere457 said:

The drama was already approved for release a while back.

If govt wanted to pull this off air, they could have done it months ago. Seems weird to pull it right before it comes out.

It IS weird but it has done a lot of weird things beforehand. Other than the flip flopy nature regarding drama restrictions lately, China recently cracked down two popular web novel sites, they were all for pretty "reasonable" reasons, but Qidian legit lost tens of thousands of novels overnight, it's not necessarily related, but it's kind of worrying. 

If it's the anniversary, it has the opposite effect where now bunch of people are going to try figure out what everyone is talking about lolol. The trade war is unlikely, though it did have an effect on dramas, two drama (one had a plot line about going to US to study, I forgot what the other one was) was pulled due to it.

3 hours ago, MidnightRain said:

If it's tencent's issue, it'd be terrible for them to just pull out like this. With Hunan TV, I saw rumours that it was reported which was how The Gods was pulled. It'd be shitty if they report their competitors like this and it worked??? I don't particularly like Hunan TV but that seems like a terrible tactic that'd just hurt themselves in the end.

All of the official weibos involved with the show have been keeping mum, so I'm going to take it as a good sign that they're scrambling behind the scenes to try and fix whatever issue there is in order to air the show asap. Because if they're replacing the show or whatever, I assume at least Zhejiang TV would have posted something about the replacement, like what has happened with Prince of Tennis. 

I wonder if this will be moved onto just a online drama maybe they wont allow it to air on TV which is what happened to Tribes which i find stupid and would stuck for them. 

I just want to hear news having to wait for info is so hard and annoying. 

https://www.weibo.com/3752699924/HxdtoBipG?type=comment#_rnd1559645295877

Some good gifs here. 

28 minutes ago, MidnightRain said:

Zhejiang TV is playing Running Man again today, I guess it's good news for now since they're not airing another drama in the time slot. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic for now lol. 

Oooh that's definitely a good sign, maybe we'll see it next Monday?

48 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Then why cant they announce that?

Eagle Flag Airs on Monday.. dont need to give a reason but let people know. 

Because it's not confirmed? This is speculation, since it's just a sign that they are still scrambling at the back and trying to get it to air soon, it's not a guarantee of anything. Especially when you got your drama pulled at the last minute, you would want to be absolutely certain it can air before you say anything, in case this happens again and you end up with negative press. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't announce anything till it actually airs.

6 hours ago, lynne22 said:

I heard about the unconfirmed date, but until the opening credit starts to roll (sorry to be a little dramatic here) I will still be cautious lols 

Right!:lol: After what happened this week I think it's understandable if we are all very cautious.

Archived