[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Novoland: Eagle Flag 九州缥缈录

sugarplum892

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

@epinklyn Hunan always had issues with how they cut their episodes :sweatingbullets: and the more popular the show the more they are going to strecth the episodes to milk them... sigh... 

Omg! Ok stay away from Hunan! Finger crossed for every upcoming good drama :sweatingbullets:

3 hours ago, lynne22 said:

@epinklyn Hunan always had issues with how they cut their episodes :sweatingbullets: and the more popular the show the more they are going to strecth the episodes to milk them... sigh... 

Yeap. And Hunan doesn't hesitate to cut short series which they deem a flop, like they did for The Rise of Phoenixes. (Ironically that was at the point when TROP's viewership was actually rising). Hunan is the largest TV station in China, but forget creative independence when you sell to Hunan. 

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, angelangie said:

i seems to hear that they will stop all wuxia, period drama from airing till Oct?

Yeah include time travelling drama too, i read they postpone between march-june? But yeah possible continued till Oct 1st for PRC National Day, to give more space to historical drama.

On 3/24/2019 at 11:37 AM, angelangie said:

i seems to hear that they will stop all wuxia, period drama from airing till Oct?

On 3/24/2019 at 12:35 PM, epinklyn said:

Yeah include time travelling drama too, i read they postpone between march-june? But yeah possible continued till Oct 1st for PRC National Day, to give more space to historical drama.

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/more-restrictions-china-blocks-out-broadcast-dates-for-ancient-dramas/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JayneStars+(JayneStars.com)

Its not just ancient its everything fantasy like.

From March to June, no historical period dramas will be allowed to air in China.

In a new restriction rule set by the National Radio and Television Administration (previously known as SARFT), historical period drama serials will not be allowed for broadcast on television or online between March and June. Dramas affected by this new broadcasting restriction includes many wuxia, fantasy, historical, time-travel, and palace-themed dramas that have been waiting for broadcast.

heard nothing about it being continued to oct though that would be dumb. 

Credit @liddi

The news I've read so far do not indicate the ban to be anything beyond June. In any case, the latest news is  that due to the uproar from the ban, the restrictions have been eased and dramas can gradually aired from April onwards provided it obtains broadcasting license and the platforms adhere to certain restrictions:

- the network platform should report their monthly broadcast programs to the SARFT through the local bureau before the 15th of each month

- control the proportion of costume dramas, and the reality theme accounts for 60% of the annual broadcast plan

- Shows that do not get the online license, including the issuance license, the star license, the filing, etc., cannot be scheduled and announced in advance

Apparently the broadcasting platforms have all signed a guarantee letter to adhere to the above conditions.

I dont know why China Government took seriously about this c-drama industry, maybe someone can enlight me? I thought it was a good sign that so many wuxia xianxia novels being adapted to television drama, and now c-drama is rising again after sometimes being replaced by k-drama. CMIIW.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:12 PM, epinklyn said:

I dont know why China Government took seriously about this c-drama industry, maybe someone can enlight me? I thought it was a good sign that so many wuxia xianxia novels being adapted to television drama, and now c-drama is rising again after sometimes being replaced by k-drama. CMIIW.

? It's always been pretty serious about the industry. It's just there's more exposure to it internationally these days. It's true that they've been putting more and more restrictions on the industry, but it's been doing so for a decade. They usually have reasons behind even the most ridiculous restriction so I don't know how to address them in general.

The entertainment industry (cdrama, variety shows, film) have been exploding in last about 6 or 7 years (smartphone being so common, more disposable income, a generation that grew up on entertainment)? Some of them are highly reliant on rabid fanbase, and fan culture that's imported from k!ent and j!ent. I mention it because it fuels high cost of certain actors who might not be fit for the role but has a rabid fanbase so has guaranteed revenue (this always exists to certain extent but it can be pretty extreme) and fuels very unhealthy standards in cdrama where the plot doesn't matter as long as you have pretty people, or they pad out perfectly good story with richard simmons to sell more episodes or everyone jump onto one kind of drama because something is popular. I think we are mostly moving away from that which is nice. I guess that's kind of a tangent here.

More specifically to this latest saga, it was already doing that last year. Only two period drama aired on primetime tv last year (three if you count Minglan). Very serious political ones are restricted because they can be used as allegory to criticise government. The regular palace ones promote imperialistic values, harem ones have issues with "spreading negativity". There's not that many wuxia dramas (there's not that many wuxia WN either, it's hard to carve a niche when you are measured against the Greats), xianxia and xuanhuan haven't really stumbled into issues until now. But this is all speculation because SARFT is never going to tell you the real reason. It'd be nice if promoting modern dramas actually lead to quality stories, since I still only have handful of modern dramas I'd rec to people.

11 hours ago, skibbies said:

? It's always been pretty serious about the industry. It's just there's more exposure to it internationally these days. It's true that they've been putting more and more restrictions on the industry, but it's been doing so for a decade. They usually have reasons behind even the most ridiculous restriction so I don't know how to address them in general.

The entertainment industry (cdrama, variety shows, film) have been exploding in last about 6 or 7 years (smartphone being so common, more disposable income, a generation that grew up on entertainment)? Some of them are highly reliant on rabid fanbase, and fan culture that's imported from k!ent and j!ent. I mention it because it fuels high cost of certain actors who might not be fit for the role but has a rabid fanbase so has guaranteed revenue (this always exists to certain extent but it can be pretty extreme) and fuels very unhealthy standards in cdrama where the plot doesn't matter as long as you have pretty people, or they pad out perfectly good story with richard simmons to sell more episodes or everyone jump onto one kind of drama because something is popular. I think we are mostly moving away from that which is nice. I guess that's kind of a tangent here.

More specifically to this latest saga, it was already doing that last year. Only two period drama aired on primetime tv last year (three if you count Minglan). Very serious political ones are restricted because they can be used as allegory to criticise government. The regular palace ones promote imperialistic values, harem ones have issues with "spreading negativity". There's not that many wuxia dramas (there's not that many wuxia WN either, it's hard to carve a niche when you are measured against the Greats), xianxia and xuanhuan haven't really stumbled into issues until now. But this is all speculation because SARFT is never going to tell you the real reason. It'd be nice if promoting modern dramas actually lead to quality stories, since I still only have handful of modern dramas I'd rec to people.

Thank you so much for the explanation @skibbies, i believe that dramas which only depends on handsome and pretty actors will certainly long gone after a while, the fans surely will after another handsome and pretty actors to be chased. And i believe like you have said, now we have more smart audiences that know which dramas are decent, although there are still few dramas that under rated because the leads are not pretty or handsome enough.

So based on what you have said, i think it is a wise move from the government or SARFT to restrict upcoming projects to ensure the quality. Hopefully there will be more qualified wuxia n modern drama in future.

1 hour ago, epinklyn said:

Thank you so much for the explanation @skibbies, i believe that dramas which only depends on handsome and pretty actors will certainly long gone after a while, the fans surely will after another handsome and pretty actors to be chased. And i believe like you have said, now we have more smart audiences that know which dramas are decent, although there are still few dramas that under rated because the leads are not pretty or handsome enough.

So based on what you have said, i think it is a wise move from the government or SARFT to restrict upcoming projects to ensure the quality. Hopefully there will be more qualified wuxia n modern drama in future.

Ensuring the quality is fine but the issue is they do block high quality shows. 

I don't actually think the restrictions ensure quality either, they ensure it complies to values that higher ups deem appropriate. I would much rather have dramas that feature morally grey characters, stories that explore flawed values or problematic behaviour, and..of course, not blanket ban period dramas. I watch cdramas for them because I can't get them anywhere else! 

11 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Ensuring the quality is fine but the issue is they do block high quality shows. 

45 minutes ago, skibbies said:

I don't actually think the restrictions ensure quality either, they ensure it complies to values that higher ups deem appropriate. I would much rather have dramas that feature morally grey characters, stories that explore flawed values or problematic behaviour, and..of course, not blanket ban period dramas. I watch cdramas for them because I can't get them anywhere else! 

Yeah both of you are right, hopefully someone or some people on c-entertainment industry that has name or once honored by the government for their reputation, can raise their voices as advisor to government to solve this issue, because too many restrictions can belittle ones creativities.

I agree that censorship doesn't necessarily ensure quality as China censors will always have their own hidden agenda. They did try to limit overly long dramas (eg Ruyi) which I think is a real problem with C-dramas but it's not going to stop dramas from being 50 to over 70 episodes long. 

On 4/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, bluehibiscus said:

@skibbies what does WN stand for?

ah sorry, web novels. It's a recent trend that a large amount of cdramas that's aimed at younger audience are usually based on them because they come with a fanbase and therefore buzz. (but a lot of the times they screw it up by screwing the script up or characterisation etc)

@skibbies Thanks for the explanation. I have noticed this trend of adapting from web novels but many of these novels have similar plotlines and elements like time travel are not allowed by the Chinese censors so they have to work around it during the adaptation which can affect the plotlines quite a bit.

Archived