[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Longest Day in Chang’an 长安十二时辰

sugarplum892

I know I'm late to the party but just finished this and LOVED it. The acting was incredible. 

I am just wondering if there have been any requests to the production company to make a sequel? I felt that there was more to be said and a new plot in which Zhang Xiao Jing and Tan Qi meet up again would be wonderful. I so shipped that pair.

I speak no Mandarin and don't know how to ask for more!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Daylily said:

I know I'm late to the party but just finished this and LOVED it. The acting was incredible. 

I am just wondering if there have been any requests to the production company to make a sequel? I felt that there was more to be said and a new plot in which Zhang Xiao Jing and Tan Qi meet up again would be wonderful. I so shipped that pair.

I speak no Mandarin and don't know how to ask for more!

Sequels usually don't do well. This drama was based on a novel and I think they stretched it out bit too much and somewhat bombed the ending. The author have other novels that has been adapted but they were by different production teams and about different topics (Mysteries of Antiques and Secret of Three Kingdoms), and they weren't as well received either (I liked Mysteries of Antiques though). The director finished filming a 12 ep drama last year, rumoured to be filming a drama at the moment, no news on the scriptwriter. The drama was pretty profitable so I'm sure the investors will try to replicate the drama‘s success.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 7:07 AM, skibbies said:

Sequels usually don't do well. This drama was based on a novel and I think they stretched it out bit too much and somewhat bombed the ending. The author have other novels that has been adapted but they were by different production teams and about different topics (Mysteries of Antiques and Secret of Three Kingdoms), and they weren't as well received either (I liked Mysteries of Antiques though). The director finished filming a 12 ep drama last year, rumoured to be filming a drama at the moment, no news on the scriptwriter. The drama was pretty profitable so I'm sure the investors will try to replicate the drama‘s success.

How did they bomb the ending? What was supposed to happen?  I would just love to see more of these characters, including Li Bi (And how amazing is Jackson Li!!!). I'm new to the Chinese drama scene but already am desperate for more of these skilled actors, also the leads from Royal Nirvana, but I like the historical settings. What shall I watch next???

2 hours ago, Daylily said:

How did they bomb the ending? What was supposed to happen?  I would just love to see more of these characters, including Li Bi (And how amazing is Jackson Li!!!). I'm new to the Chinese drama scene but already am desperate for more of these skilled actors, also the leads from Royal Nirvana, but I like the historical settings. What shall I watch next???

There were a number of dialogue change and it was very anticlimatic, I'd assume they planned for something bigger originally. I haven't gotten around to the novel yet so can't really tell you more.

If you liked Royal Nirvana, maybe the Rise of Phoenixes (Netflix)? It has a REALLY MESSY last arc (last 7 episodes), and I think the writing + pacing could be a lot better, but the acting is definitely superb all around. Nirvana in Fire is a go to favourite for a lot of people, fair amount of politics and beautifully shot and well acted.

If you can deal with dry politics, Qin Empire II or Qin Empire: Alliance (Netflix title it like this I think) is absolutely excellent. Three Kingdoms (2010) is amazing as well with mix of the novel Romance of Three Kingdoms and real history as well as fairly well rounded characters. Slightly easier to get into, but from different POV on the same period is Advisors Alliance and Growling Tiger Roaring Dragon (it's the same drama that aired one after another), which is from advsor Sima Yi's POV.

For something lighter, Joy of Life is a crowd pleaser since it mixes in comedy with politics fairly well, and there's bit of modern values clashing with imperial ones (stop at 15 mins of last episode if you don't want a cliffhanger ending! s2 hasn't come out yet). If you want something that's bit more adventurey with adorable cast, try Young Blood. If romcom is more your pace, try the Romance of Tiger and Rose. Oh for RN's FL, she has a drama called Bloody Romance that I'm the middle of, it's sort of dark wuxia and I enjoy it quite a bit.

Hope you find something you like :D

Archived