[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Longest Day in Chang’an 长安十二时辰

sugarplum892

China's answer to 24. Intriguing concept and I saw enough of the first season to see the parallels. Wonder who the VIP is.

This is certainly a fascinating show. If nothing else, the historical interest that it piques is enough to warrant some viewership. I love the Tang dynasty and of course Li Bai was appropriately referenced. I think every school child who ever studied Chinese had to have memorized at least one of his poems.

According to Avenue X, the director is the same one for Tribes and Empires. That was a beautifully shot drama as is this but dear me... did it move at snail pace or what. Still there was much to like about T&E until I found out that it was incomplete. 

Hope this one provides a resolution. One can never tell with C dramas. If it doesn't, there's no point in subscribing.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@40somethingahjumma I went in bracing myself because I was also scared that it would be plagued by the same issues in T&E. I caved in because Cao Dun is indeed an excellent cinematographer, so rest assured you'll get a beautifully shot product. The actors from T&E are wonderful as well. Thankfully, after watching 25 episodes I'm happy to say this is a great ride! Fast paced, great acting and multidimensional characters, tight storyline and of course -- fantastic cinematography. The high budget is worth it and the high douban score is well deserved.

@caranita

It's amazing to look at. I adore the map room in particular. The sets are glorious. I can't tell where the real stuff begins and where the CGI ends. Jackson Yi is surprisingly effective for someone so young.

Plus I'm huge fan of crime shows so yeah, I really really want to like this and I did enjoy the first two free episodes so far. I will have to subscribe if I decide to continue because there's so much in here that I need subs for. 

My only fear is that we get a lousy cliffhanger ending. These days, I am paranoid about Cdrama endings. ;) 

On 7/28/2019 at 6:10 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

My only fear is that we get a lousy cliffhanger ending. These days, I am paranoid about Cdrama endings. ;) 

This drama is little different since they filmed all of it already. The first "season" was simply the first half (24 episodes?) that they sent to NRTA, Youku is up to 35 episode now so I assume the second half got passed NRTA. The book it's based on was also published and finished (and short compared to 48 episodes). Of course that doesn't mean it won't bomb the last quarter but it really shouldn't be incomplete.

There's too many dramas this summer, I have to get up to date with bunch of other dramas before starting this one. The 5 minutes I saw feel like it deserves to be seen on TV instead of half my tiny laptop screen. XD

this drama is AMAZING.  I finished up to epi 25 on amazon & I am dying for more...  It's sad that this series isn't getting a lot of love here on the forums - it is so smart, witty & entertaining.  Plus I love the slow burn between zhang & tan qi...  

Jackson Yee is totally impressing me - at 17 (which is how old he was when he filmed this), he is better than other actors who are in their 20's and 30's.  He is totally holding his own with the more older actors.  

Spoiler

I honestly don't think xu bin is dead...  I think he faked his death - or at least I hope so!

On 7/13/2019 at 5:20 AM, RSMasterfade said:

The official YouTube channel (paid members only) are now up to episode 20. I can confirm the show is still going strong at episode 20.

Meanwhile this show is becoming a cultural phenomenon in China. One of China's top publishing house is offering a paid online course on the history behind the show. Really you have to know the history to appreciate the show fully. For those who doesn't speak or read Chinese, I can recommend Susan Whitfield's book Life along the Silk Road. Popular history at its best.

For those who enjoy historical fantasy, Guy Gavriel Kay's novel Under Heaven starts roughly 10 years after the time of this show.

Oh wow, I've never seen GGK's Under Heaven referenced in a wuxia context before but I'm a big fan of both wuxia and GGK, so loved his Under Heaven (and also River of Stars) very much. (It's a great introduction to the immense power that goes behind the word "Emperor" for Western audiences) 

But interesting to know that there's actually dramas too that dig deep into historic records.  Might pick this one up based on the strong recommendations from everyone here, thanks!

C-Dramas have come a long way & I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride. This thread should be more active, but I do see that "idol-dramas" draw the more verbal audiences. I watch very few Idol-driven K-Dramas. I just finished Nirana in Fire 2 & moved to this one. I am not disappointed at all.

This drama has been nothing short of amazing!  Writing, directing, acting and definitely cinematography being beyond exceptional.  Haven't been able to predict what's next since it is so intricately and interestingly scripted.

Why can't they all be this terrific????

I'm still trying to figure out who is the mastermind behind this whole plot. Each character has his/her own backstory and each one is showing character development. The only one staying true to his ideals is our ML. He has been so maligned by everyone 'cept those who fought and suffered with him. 

Every episode leaves me riveted to my seat with my eyes glued to the screen. Chasing the wagons down the streets of Chang'an - 

This is such a beautifully executed and intricately plotted drama. It really does leave everything else currently broadcasting for dead. Works brilliantly as a whodunit and a political thriller. Once you get your head around who's who... everything gradually falls into place. Indeed that is part of the challenge of watching something like this. To see where the chess pieces fit.

Although I'm not entirely surprised that this isn't more popular around these parts, it is a darn shame because this is quality television. A rare event. The last time I was this impress with a C drama's attention to historical detail was 大江大河. It's like reading a really fantastic literary postmodern novel.

The thing though that's really impressing me is young Jackson whom I gather wears the pop idol hat when he's not involved in acting. He's certainly holding his own among veterans and more seasoned colleagues.

It's ridiculous when you think about the crisis that's about to hit Chang'an and certain groups can only think of having a pissing contest. But that's sadly realistic. Too many egos just waiting to blow the lid off... :D

Speculation...

Spoiler

Moreover, if I didn't know better I'd think that the emperor is behind it all. 

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Speculation...

Hide contents

Moreover, if I didn't know better I'd think that the emperor is behind it all. 

I agree, especially now that it's been revealed that the right chancellor owns the houses Long Bo has used. Would they (the Emperor & Chancellor) do all this just to set the Crown Prince & the rest of the ministers up? To rid the Imperial Court & start fresh? 

There is so much more to be revealed. Every time I think I'm close to figuring it out, something happens that draws me in another direction. I wish Netflix or Hulu would pick it up with the hopes that more western countries could be introduced to this magnificent piece of work. I read on one of the news sites that there will be a season 2. I'm not sure I can hold my breath that long.

@Takingthehighroad I've only just completed Episode 6... :D 

But I've read a bit of history and well... fire blah blah... and Nero sprang to mind. Heh. Plus the emperor is dong a lot of uncharacteristic things. (Well, at least according to the people who know him best)

I noticed that Avenue X said that she had trouble connecting with the characters but that hasn't been an issue for me. The more I see of Zhang Xiao Jing especially, the more I see that he's someone I can root for. And poor Xiao Yi. Poor kid.

Yeah, I was really hoping that Netflix would pick this up so that I wouldn't have to subscribe elsewhere. However, I don't mind contributing to the millions that went into making this amazing show. ;)

Good grief! Agendas galore. All the festivities are a facade for the political and social undercurrents. Everyone thinks they know what's best for the city... not always altruistically... and so they clash. The thing that's frustrating though is that for most opportunistic politics comes before the safety of the people. 

The bamboo paper episode was hugely instructive especially regarding the importance of good administration. Admittedly I'm not a fan of bureaucratic red tape (having worked in the public service and bearing the brunt of excessive paperwork) but it certainly has its place in terms of accountability and distribution of resources. Interesting that no one had thought of using bamboo pulp until then. I suppose it takes a human computer to think of it. ;) But it was a lovely footnote in the nation's social history. This is the sort of detail that makes this show special.

I like our male leads. They're both fighting the good fight in their own respective battlegrounds despite what people may think of them. It may not seem the case initially but they are really cut from the same cloth.

The carriage chase in Episode 16 was fantastic... The French Connection on horseback. :P

I am watching this for Li Yuan's Yu Chang even tho I don't like that character. I feel slightly confused by her female appearance in the beginning, then cool warrior outfit with shaved head, and also her feelings. Meh. I'm probably mainly watching this show for the actresses if I'm being honest haha. 

I was amazed by this actress - the short buzz cut/shaved head may not suit all people but she looks gorgeous in it. Very brave of her to take on this role and this look. Agree with you that the actresses are good in their roles, although I am not familiar with them, except maybe for Wen Ran - can’t remember which drama I have seen her in before.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:27 PM, Takingthehighroad said:

.... I read on one of the news sites that there will be a season 2. I'm not sure I can hold my breath that long.

Really? The drama ended nicely at Ep. 48. Unless another incident occurs in Chang An? and our heroes are called back to investigate it? 

I'm rewatching Tribes and Empires and Zhou Yiwei (Long Bo) was in it. As in this drama, I liked his character, then hated him, then again liked him. His eyes can look so mean. Also I read that the actors weren't paid promptly or in entirety and they had to end it abruptly; yet here again we see him starring in this director's film. Why? Because this, as well as Tribes and Empires, are unique & wonderful. It allows the actors to shine.

'

19 hours ago, omiki said:

Really? The drama ended nicely at Ep. 48. Unless another incident occurs in Chang An? and our heroes are called back to investigate it? 

The drama was supposed to be divided into two seasons, in which the first one ends at episode 25. But the producer/distributor decided to release them all in one go. 

On 8/16/2019 at 2:21 AM, caranita said:

The drama was supposed to be divided into two seasons, in which the first one ends at episode 25. But the producer/distributor decided to release them all in one go. 

No wonder I feel exhausted.

i was so relieved by the end of 39.  I think I might take a break. 

Spoiler

Wen Ran dies. I seriously found her a spoilt brat throughout, and was rather happy.

The excitement doesn't end through episode 43. I have to admit I became somewhat confused during the banquet, wondering just what the emperor really wanted and the changing attitudes of some of the attendees. It is still the most riveting drama I've seen this year.

At this point, most people are assuming the Right C. is behind this. I believe he's just taking advantage of circumstances even though his original intention was to bring down the Crown Prince. I also think Long Bo is being used by someone. The Emperor has been misguided, thinking everything was wonderful in his kingdom. His kidnapping has brought him in contact with the real world & I definitely see a change in his perspective. He sees now that his ministers & armed forces are not "for the people" but for themselves. 

The ML, in trying to protect Long Bo, is a true hero. He remembers all that his friends suffered after being abandoned by those in power. He has watched them die in vain but he is determined to save Long Bo by changing his views, I hope. 

'

• 9 months later...

Archived