Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Ming Dynasty 大明風華

6 hours ago, Takingthehighroad said:

There's nothing to watch so having sworn off this drama I'm lost. I'm depending on this forum to keep me abreast of what's going on now that I'm going through ZJ withdrawal. I've tried some of the new dramas out there but the nothing grabs me as this one did. Please keep posting -

Would it help if I told you ZJ appeared in RW's dream once? Lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

57 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

Would it help if I told you ZJ appeared in RW's dream once? Lol

Hahaha that’s funny. Yes for 2 seconds. I think we are all missing their early interaction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there a recap of the episodes we can read? I find myself just scanning through the eps and lost the patience to watch the whole thing ... 

• Like 3

Do you all have access to the episodes of Ming Dynasty with goo English subs and not Google translate ones? I can only find the episodes subbed till episode 12:(((

Hi! I love historical dramas!  I’m going to try to watch this drama. I get so busy! I start dramas and I don’t finish them! Is it too late to watch it? 

@RenRen you’re having trouble with English subs? I’m going to need English subs!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

Hi! I love historical dramas!  I’m going to try to watch this drama. I get so busy! I start dramas and I don’t finish them! Is it too late to watch it? 

@RenRen you’re having trouble with English subs? I’m going to need English subs!

Hi, no is not too late to start. I think is great timing since the drama is nearly and most of the episodes are out. The English is not so good but I think it will give a general idea

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sssf said:

Hi, no is not too late to start. I think is great timing since the drama is nearly and most of the episodes are out. The English is not so good but I think it will give a general idea

Ok. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 7:50 AM, Takingthehighroad said:

There's nothing to watch so having sworn off this drama I'm lost. I'm depending on this forum to keep me abreast of what's going on now that I'm going through ZJ withdrawal. I've tried some of the new dramas out there but the nothing grabs me as this one did. Please keep posting -

Am experiencing some similar feelings hah. I gave up on MD shortly after my last post ::sigh::

There's gotta be something worth following coming out soon?!

I'm trying very hard to enjoy other shows, like a lot of them, but I just can't lol. Ever Night 2, Dreaming Back to Qing Dynasty (an insult). Under the Power, The Best Partner, Fairyland Lovers...

• Like 2

I gave up on this drama too. 

Thank goodness Pillow Book or "Eternal Love of Dream" comes out today, so going to check that out instead as I loved the novel.

• Like 1

Hi all, anyone out there still watching this drama? I am up to 62 through lots of fast forwarding. Have a few questions..

what is wrong with the current emperor (younger brother)? Has he gone mad and taking drugs which has caused him to be paranoid? 

Omg! Is getting very weird. I think what the ending will be. Such a sad drama. I just watched 63 & 64. Does anyone feel the same? I just want it to finish since invested time on it. Finish already . 

• Sad 1

This drama really take a downturn after Xuande Emperor arc is done. They really take a lot of liberty with the current emperor (younger brother) capability, historically he's actually quite capable (never as great as Xuande) especially with Yu Xian at his side, in here he acts like a weakling and an idiot <_<.

@sssf the current emperor just went mad because his wife and son murder-suicide and it was implied his mother is abusive towards his wife and that kind of pushed her to kill herself and her son.

But yeah for anybody watching this just be warned, for me personally it's only good until Xuande emperor arc which is episode 43 after that the story starts to get boring. It showed so much potential at the start, but oh well I'll probably just skip a lot just to see the ending

Edited by kur4p1k4
  • Love 1

The latter half of the drama was just whack, or 狗血。I'm wondering if they used different screenwriters for the first half or the second half.

The ending boat scene turned out to be as I feared. RW had a terrible life. ZJ and RW's son was a ghastly person and ruler. If I were her, I'd be pissed at ZJ pulling me into such a godawful family. Her remarks to her son about how ZJ treated her also doesn't align with what was filmed, which again makes me wonder if they used different scriptwriters.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, kur4p1k4 said:

This drama really take a downturn after Xuande Emperor arc is done. They really take a lot of liberty with the current emperor (younger brother) capability, historically he's actually quite capable (never as great as Xuande) especially with Yu Xian at his side, in here he acts like a weakling and an idiot <_<.

@sssf the current emperor just went mad because his wife and son murder-suicide and it was implied his mother is abusive towards his wife and that kind of pushed her to kill herself and her son.

But yeah for anybody watching this just be warned, for me personally it's only good until Xuande emperor arc which is episode 43 after that the story starts to get boring. It showed so much potential at the start, but oh well I'll probably just skip a lot just to see the ending

I agree. After Xuande emperor, all the scenes were just odd. Lots of killing and people going crazy. Such ashame as I thought it started so well and so refreshing with the acting and it all went very odd and rushed. 

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, Le_Amarant said:

The latter half of the drama was just whack, or 狗血。I'm wondering if they used different screenwriters for the first half or the second half.

The ending boat scene turned out to be as I feared. RW had a terrible life. ZJ and RW's son was a ghastly person and ruler. If I were her, I'd be pissed at ZJ pulling me into such a godawful family. Her remarks to her son about how ZJ treated her also doesn't align with what was filmed, which again makes me wonder if they used different scriptwriters.

I agree. Things don’t seem aligned and it almost as if there were 2 dramas. First half, all the characters died except for a few. Then the second half was very odd. Lots of killing, conspiracy and people going crazy. I don’t like it. And agree what RW said to her son was not what was filmed. She said she was nearly killed twice and it was the son who saved her . .... hmmmm. I just want this to finish so I don’t have to watch it anymore. Why did they have to kill Yu Qian? Wasn’t he the one who tried to save RW’s son? Ok I know he served for the younger brother but his loyalty was with RW. Couldn’t anyone tell the Emperor that Yu Qian tried to save him. I know in history he died but then again this drama didn’t really follow history anyway. It did and it didn’t. Argggg felt like I wasted time on this drama 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am so disheartened with this drama's progression. Gosh, how I loved it in the beginning. But then I was excited about Royal NIrvana, too. 

I had thought that the son would return & become a benevolent ruler - where or where did I read that? The entire lineage of that family was toxic & cruel, to their own family & others ('cept for the one who only reigned a year, ZJ's father). I knew ZJ was cruel, too, but that wasn't really shown, reeling me in to what I thought was going to be a wonderful historical drama. Maybe it's the word "historical" that misleads me, especially in Cdramas. I always end up so disappointed from about midway on...

The part that moved me the most was when the two sisters were together & RW was reliving their childhood. I can say RW never swayed from her true self - she never quit loving her sister. That scene showcased Tang Wei & it was the only scene that moved me to tears in the whole drama.

@takingthehighroad I personally found RW annoying (partially bc of TW's wooden acting) and the stubbornly stupid decision to be loyal to her sister is just another character flaw. Her sister didn't hesitate to sell her out or attempt to murder her son, but RW always let it slide. So very Mary Sue. 

On the other hand,  RW puts her son through the wringer and then cuts him off completely bc she disagrees with his decisions. 

I didn't find her character likeable. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Final thoughts on Ming Dynasty. I'm sorry if I ruin the show for anyone. 

I am so disappointed. This show was great until it wasn't. It had the potential to be one of the best shows ever but got gutted by its bipolar writing and editing team. I agree with prior posts about what RW said about ZJ. He was vicious to a lot of people, but what was shown to the audience made us feel that he treasured RW like no other. And from what was shown, it took RW awhile to understand his feelings but she ultimately returned them. There was just no logic at all to what was happening at the end. The ending boat scene negated all of my goodwill for this show. What about RW's comment to ZJ when he died in her lap that she was waiting for him to take her home in his carriage? I just want to disregard the last third of the show and EXO Lay, their useless son. For me, the fitting end was when ZJ entrusted their young son and his country to RW, and she became a wise dowager empress. 

If you are a Ming history buff, this show is not for you. If you would like to learn more about Ming history, this show is also not for you. History and time were like playdough here, squeezed and stretched to no end, and I think this impacted the show quite negatively. I have to compare Ming Dynasty to Bu Bu Jing Xin, one of my favorite dramas ever (a different genre, I know). What was so great about BBJX was that although it's pure fiction, the fiction meshed so well with the nonfiction, and things just made sense from both the fiction and the nonfiction standpoints. You can't say the same for this show where drama is created just for the sake of drama, and everything else gets trampled on. Time got distorted and people became distorted, too. Characters became so unlike their usual selves (for example: ZJ became a shadow of himself, crown princess became a hysterical grand empress dowager). Or, they were bad and became even worse (abusive SX and her doormat son, anyone?). The acting and the family relationships were so great in the beginning. It made the story more real because this was how I imagined a family with a hardcore father and sons trying to best each other would act. Toward the end, there was none of this realism left. 

The show tried to tackle multiple genres at once (historical, political, war, court intrigue, inner palace, family drama, comedy, action and romance) but ended getting totally lost. Ultimately, Ming Dynasty tried to be a serious show, but it was so hard to take it seriously at times. 

• Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, Le_Amarant said:

@takingthehighroad I personally found RW annoying (partially bc of TW's wooden acting) and the stubbornly stupid decision to be loyal to her sister is just another character flaw. Her sister didn't hesitate to sell her out or attempt to murder her son, but RW always let it slide. So very Mary Sue. 

On the other hand,  RW puts her son through the wringer and then cuts him off completely bc she disagrees with his decisions. 

I didn't find her character likeable. 

I can't disagree because I only watched 2 episodes since ZJ's death (and I skimmed those). The reason I like that part I guess, besides having lost the gist of the story, is because in the end while dying you forget or forgive recent occurrences and only "remember when..." I believe only RW felt a sibling's love for her sister - her sister only pretended when it suited her. The sister had now been abandoned by everyone (which she most likely deserved) but RW, I guess in order to survive had lived with & in the past memories. Hence, her unabiding love of Xu Bin & her sister. 

I haven't seen TW act in anything else & I will admit that this drama wasn't a star performance. Still, as with RW, her character is the moth compared to her sister's butterfly (the more beautiful & elegant of the two). But TW does cut a good figure in armor :grin: