Quantcast

3 hours ago, cyang923 said:

so who is the leading man ?

Joo Sang Wook and Yoon Shi Yoon. :)

TO EVERYONE BEING ACTIVE IN THIS THREAD:

Please note that I've updated the first post with forum rules.

Please remember not to quote pictures. Please do not post pictures, IG or news articles which are unrelated to the drama. Please do not share illegal streaming sites. And if you post pictures which are not your own, please give credit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Naraesol was also responsible for the costume design for KBS Drama The King's Face, MBC The Night Watchman's Journal, KBS Drama Jeong Do-Jeon and JTBC Drama Queen Insoo. :) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

Judging from the costume department it's going to be more on the classic type of sageuk. I'm in for that. :D 

I live for classic saeguk :love: I am totally in.. :bawling: 

Joo Sang Wook, Jin Se Yeon, and Yoon Shi Yoon to Star in Korean Drama “Grand Prince”

Grand Prince Korean Drama - Joo Sang Wook Grand Prince Korean Drama - Jin Se YeonGrand Prince Korean Drama - Yoon Shi Yoon

Joo Sang Wook (Fantastic), Jin Se Yeon (Flower in Prison), and Yoon Shi Yoon (The Best Hit) will all be starring in the new TV Chosun drama Grand Prince which follows the love-hate relationship between two princes and the woman they both love.

Joo Sang Wook will play the power hungry Grand Prince, Yoon Shi Yoon as his younger brother, and Jin Se Yeon as the beautiful and passionate daughter of a government official. The drama comes from the writer of Maids and the PD of Joseon Gunman. The first script reading was held in November and production is already underway.

Well, I’m super excited that these three actors have all signed on! It still seems as though Yoon Shi Yoon may be the second lead, though Joo Sang Wook’s character sounds pretty villainous while be willing to kill his brother for the woman he loves. I do like Joo Sang Wook, but I will be officially rooting for Yoon Shi Yoon in this one!

Grand Prince is looking to air in January 2018 on TV Chosun.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Jillia and other active members updating and commenting in this thread .

seems the drama is a big one caz there are just few news and in fact no image of  the processing it ... I'm wondering if even its filming gets started... maybe it's still in the phase of supplying needed items for producing... :unsure:

however this makes me more excited to wait to see how the outcome will be ... B)

lets pray for them have a successful one... :heart:

• Like 5

Joo Sang Wook played the prince Wol-Ya in Queen SeonDeok. I am so excited to see him in another sageuk. His role is a grand prince and becomes a King. :D

Edited by yukikelly
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1

You're very welcome, @Maryam! :)

Right at this moment there aren't articles/blog posts with new informations therefore this thread is moving a bit slowly. I hope though we will get more news starting from January. :D And I promise I will, of course, keep you updated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i kno tehre 2s leading guy but who is the main guy that will end up with the girl hahah and the supporting 2 main character hhah

• Like 1

The main guy is Joo Sang Wook. However, that doesn't mean he will end up with the girl. No one knows about it.

Edited by yukikelly
  • Like 5

I didnt really want to mention anything but then i also cant stand misunderstandings.. so not to purposely put down anyone, or to insult anyone... this is my understanding of the drama lead characters.

Joo Sang Wook was amongst those who were first offered a role. His role as Lee Kang is the one mentioned in the brief synopsis about a prince who fell in love with a lady and to win and make her his, is willing to kill anyone, including his own younger brother. Lee Kang dreams of being the second Lee Bang Won, the famed King Taejong, father of King Sejong, who caused the strive of princes, killed his half-brothers and many of his family members, so that he can get full political control. King Taejong was a good king, but not a good person if you consider how dictatorial he was. In that sense, it seems to me Lee Kang’s character will be the main antagonist who will be plotting and trying to kill Lee Hwi (YSY) for most of the story.

YSY’s role was offered later than JSW. However, in the ‘exclusive’ article first released about the offer to YSY, it was mentioned that the role is as ‘남주인공’, translated to be ‘male hero’.

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=421&aid=0003037532

Though the character of Lee Hwi is not mentioned much in the synopsis, my interpretation of Lee Hwi is that he will be the perfect person, kind, strong, wise, gentle, the opposite of Lee Kang. He must also have some power for Lee Kang to be so jealous of him, to the extent Lee Kang wants to kill him? So, Lee Hwi is likely the crown prince, next in line to be king, and is engaged to JSY’s character, Seong Ja Hyun. Because Lee Hwi is the perfect embodiment of all Lee Kang wants to be, that is why Lee Kang is willing to kill and usurp his position, as well as steal his bride-to-be. No point for Lee Kang to do so if Lee Kang is already going to be King and engaged to Ja Hyun, or if Ja Hyun is free to be courted, dont you think so? Given that, Lee Hwi’s character to me, is the main protagonist.

I dont know why there are so many confusion over who is the main lead. To quote the meaning of a main lead:

A leading actor, leading actress, star, or simply lead, plays the role of the protagonist of a film or play. The word lead may also refer to the largest role in the piece and leading actor may refer to a person who typically plays such parts or an actor with a respected body of work.

to that extent, i think both JSW and YSY are the main leads, in opposite position. One is the lead antagonist, the other the lead protagonist. You cant have one without the other. Both the characters will move the storyline and are equally important. One plotting to kill, the other trying to escape death. If Lee Hwi is easily defeated, then who else should Lee Kang kill? What other conflict will there be? If you are looking for the lead protagonist, it is YSY. If you are looking for lead antagonist, it is JSW. 

Hope that answers all those who question who is the ‘main lead’ in this drama. 

• Like 10

Dear blackberrypie

I think your understanding about the characters and the story is too subjective. Most of info is based on your own guess.
First of all, I want to correct the wrong information you provided. Lee Hwi and Sung Ja Hyun are not engaged. Lee Whi’s fiancé is Jeong Seol Hwa. Actress Yoon Seo will play this role. 

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=076&aid=0003181990

Also, you should not define Lee Kang as an antagonist. The character seems brutal and strong. But, that doesn’t mean he is typical antagonist. Who know Lee Kang is brutal as a politician but very romantic and gentle as a man who loves Sung Ja Hyun. There are some misunderstanding about the real history too. Lee Kang’s real model is King Sejo. Sejo had older brother Moon Jong. Moon Jong was a crown prince and became a King and when he was dead, his son Dan Jong became a King. Then Sejo killed his nephew and became a King. Lee Kang is indeed jealous of his older brother, not younger brother. I don’t think the storyline will be the same as the history. But, I just want to mention that your guess about Lee Kang is too far from the history.

Also, there are not much of info about Lee Hwi as you mentioned. I found only one article describing his character.
“Lee Whi is the best suitable bridegroom in the Choseon society. He is in conflict with Lee Kang”.
http://stoo.asiae.co.kr/news/naver_view.htm?idxno=2017111311381024809

There are much more info about Lee Kang. I don’t think I need to write all the description here again. I believe you’ve already read a lot about him. The official synopsis says “One loves so strongly that he would even kill his own brother to try and protect his woman from being approached by anyone”. As you see, “one’ is Lee Kang. It is written from Lee Kang’s point of view. That means Lee Kang is the main lead. 

The article you referred is not an official article released by the production. It said Yoon Shi Yoon got offered as 남주인공. I think this made us confused. Some actors who got offered the second lead release the article stating they got offered the main lead. I honestly don’t know why it happens. Lately, I read one article. It stated actress Han Seon Hwa (who was a girl group member) offered a main female role (여주인공) in the new  MBC weekend drama. Many people thought she finally become a main lead. But, today, I realized it is not true. The actual female lead is actress Kim Hyun Joo. 

This is the official article release by TV Choseon. It mentions “Joo Sang Wook’s name first, and  Jin Se Yeon , and then Yoon Shi Yoon. We all know that the main lead name is stated first.  

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003665863

I agree all characters are important and I believe three actors/actress are the main role of this drama because it is about two princes who loves the same woman. However, I believe Joo Sang Wook is the main lead based on all the news and article about Grand Prince if someone asks who the main lead is between Joo Sang Wook and Yoon Shi Yoon. 

Anyway, I am very excited for this drama. Hope it will be a good one. 

Edited by yukikelly
  • Like 5

@yukikelly

quoting from article above:

극 중 윤시윤은 조선 사교계 최고의 신랑감이자 이강과 대립하는 조선의 왕자 이휘 역을, 주상욱은 제2의 이방원을 꿈꾸는 야망 넘치는 이미지 메이킹의 대가 이휘의 형 이강 역을 연기한다.

In the story, YSY as Joseon’s best bridegroom, in conflict with Lee Kang, character Lee Hwi. JSW dream of being the second Lee Bang Won, master of image-making, Lee Hwi’s older brother, Lee Kang. 

I dont know where you get info about King Sejo, but i was referring to this article and several others which mentions Lee Bang Won. I dont think this drama is based on true history. Just a fiction. But i was mentioning Lee Bang Won’s real history about the strife of princes, which is likely what the story is loosely based on, since it mentions Lee Kang wanting to be the second Lee Bang Won. “Master of image making” is a direct translation, which i interpret as likely meaning Lee Kang is a cunning character and doesnt shows his true self to Lee Hwi, projecting a different image in front of others, while hiding his true feelings. Since it mention Lee Hwi is the best bridegroom, thats why i interpret it as Lee Hwi is likely engaged to Ja Hyun. If he is engaged to someone else, but love another person (Ja Hyun), he cant be the ‘best bridegroom’. Best bridegroom could also mean Lee Hwi is a perfect character, strong, romantic, has power, something like the most eligible bachelor? If he is not engaged, then i dont understand why they must purposely mention him as ‘bridegroom’. 

Yoon Seo’s character is not Lee Hwi’s fiance. I dont see it mention anywhere in the article. 

Quoting from the article link you provided:

윤서가 연기할 '정설화'는 부족함 없이 넘치는 사랑을 받고 자라 두려움 모르고 소유욕 강한 인물, 자신의 정혼자'이휘'를 포함한 만인에게 사랑 받는 '성자현(진세연)'을 지켜보며 질투의 화신으로 분해 지독한 욕망과 집념을 보여 줄 예정이다.

Yoon Seo acting as Jeong Seol Hwa,  not lacking in anything, received love from many ppl, not afraid of anything, a strong character. Watching Seong Ja Hyun (JSY) receiving love from Lee Hwi, grows jealous and showing strong desires and persistence. 

Also, the article i mentioned about YSY as 남주인공 is an ‘exclusive’ article released by TV Chosun side. Subsequently, other articles appeared with YSY’s side stating they have received the script but havent made any decision. That was the first article released about YSY potentially taking on this project, before any confirmation. Also, ive gone through all article mentions about role offered to JSW and none mentions 남주인공. 

http://m.entertain.naver.com/tvBrand/6437455/broadcastInfo/mainCard

quoting the official synopsis:

동생을 죽여서라도 갖고 싶었던 사랑, 이 세상 아무도 다가올 수 없게 만들고 싶었던 그 여자를 둘러싼 그들의 뜨거웠던 욕망과 순정의 기록을 담은 드라마

A drama about, a love (he) wants to obtain even if it means killing his own younger brother, wanting to make it so that no one in the world can approach/get close to (himself), and the girl in between their hot desires, creating history records.

True, the synopsis refers more to Lee Kang’s character, but it is not in a ‘protagonist’ sort of role. A protagonist cannot be harboring any selfish desire to kill, much less own brother. And to isolate oneself makes it seems the character is pretty lonely and not sociable, likely alot of jealousy as well. Which is why i believe JSW’s character Lee Kang is the lead antagonist. 

In any case, there is no need to argue over who is the ‘main lead’ since we can confirm that once the drama is broadcasted. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, blackberrypie said:

@yukikelly

quoting from article above:

극 중 윤시윤은 조선 사교계 최고의 신랑감이자 이강과 대립하는 조선의 왕자 이휘 역을, 주상욱은 제2의 이방원을 꿈꾸는 야망 넘치는 이미지 메이킹의 대가 이휘의 형 이강 역을 연기한다.

In the story, YSY as Joseon’s best bridegroom, in conflict with Lee Kang, character Lee Hwi. JSW dream of being the second Lee Bang Won, master of image-making, Lee Hwi’s older brother, Lee Kang. 

I dont know where you get info about King Sejo, but i was referring to this article and several others which mentions Lee Bang Won. I dont think this drama is based on true history. Just a fiction. But i was mentioning Lee Bang Won’s real history about the strife of princes, which is likely what the story is loosely based on, since it mentions Lee Kang wanting to be the second Lee Bang Won. “Master of image making” is a direct translation, which i interpret as likely meaning Lee Kang is a cunning character and doesnt shows his true self to Lee Hwi, projecting a different image in front of others, while hiding his true feelings. Since it mention Lee Hwi is the best bridegroom, thats why i interpret it as Lee Hwi is likely engaged to Ja Hyun. If he is engaged to someone else, but love another person (Ja Hyun), he cant be the ‘best bridegroom’. Best bridegroom could also mean Lee Hwi is a perfect character, strong, romantic, has power, something like the most eligible bachelor? If he is not engaged, then i dont understand why they must purposely mention him as ‘bridegroom’. 

Yoon Seo’s character is not Lee Hwi’s fiance. I dont see it mention anywhere in the article. 

Quoting from the article link you provided:

윤서가 연기할 '정설화'는 부족함 없이 넘치는 사랑을 받고 자라 두려움 모르고 소유욕 강한 인물, 자신의 정혼자'이휘'를 포함한 만인에게 사랑 받는 '성자현(진세연)'을 지켜보며 질투의 화신으로 분해 지독한 욕망과 집념을 보여 줄 예정이다.

Yoon Seo acting as Jeong Seol Hwa,  not lacking in anything, received love from many ppl, not afraid of anything, a strong character. Watching Seong Ja Hyun (JSY) receiving love from Lee Hwi, grows jealous and showing strong desires and persistence. 

Also, the article i mentioned about YSY as 남주인공 is an ‘exclusive’ article released by TV Chosun side. Subsequently, other articles appeared with YSY’s side stating they have received the script but havent made any decision. That was the first article released about YSY potentially taking on this project, before any confirmation. Also, ive gone through all article mentions about role offered to JSW and none mentions 남주인공. 

http://m.entertain.naver.com/tvBrand/6437455/broadcastInfo/mainCard

quoting the official synopsis:

동생을 죽여서라도 갖고 싶었던 사랑, 이 세상 아무도 다가올 수 없게 만들고 싶었던 그 여자를 둘러싼 그들의 뜨거웠던 욕망과 순정의 기록을 담은 드라마

A drama about, a love (he) wants to obtain even if it means killing his own younger brother, wanting to make it so that no one in the world can approach/get close to (himself), and the girl in between their hot desires, creating history records.

True, the synopsis refers more to Lee Kang’s character, but it is not in a ‘protagonist’ sort of role. A protagonist cannot be harboring any selfish desire to kill, much less own brother. And to isolate oneself makes it seems the character is pretty lonely and not sociable, likely alot of jealousy as well. Which is why i believe JSW’s character Lee Kang is the lead antagonist. 

In any case, there is no need to argue over who is the ‘main lead’ since we can confirm that once the drama is broadcasted. 

http://sports.khan.co.kr/entertainment/sk_index.html?art_id=201711291813003&sec_id=540101

"김미경, 윤시윤·진세연 주연 ‘대군’ 합류…죽산 안씨 역"

i dont know but article  mentioned about  actress Kim Mi Kyung join drama Daegun with YSY and Jin Se Yeon.
http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=22169462&cloc=

Jin Se Yeon join Drama Daegun with Yoon Shi Yoon.

"한편 진세연은 TV조선 드라마 '대군'에 윤시윤과 함께 주연으로 출연한다."

• Like 3

@blackberrypie

My first language is Korean. So, please trust me.

Please see the bolded word. 정혼자 means someone you are to wed. The article clearly states Lee Hwi is a fiancé of Jeong Seol Hwa. But, it is missing in the English article.  

Quote:

Yoon Seo acting as Jeong Seol Hwa,  not lacking in anything, received love from many ppl, not afraid of anything, a strong character. Watching Seong Ja Hyun (JSY) receiving love from her fiancé Lee Hwi, grows jealous and showing strong desires and persistence.  

There were many articles mentioning that the drama Grand Prince is motivated by the real Grand Prince Su-yang and An-pyung. I added a link of one article below. Su-yang became the King Sejo. So, it is true that Lee Kang and Lee Hwi’s model is Su-yang and An-pyung. 

http://enter.etoday.co.kr/view/news_view.php?varAtcId=118722

Quote:
'대군'은 수양대군과 안평대군을 중심으로 정치적인 혼란과 절절한 로맨스를 그릴 것으로 알려졌다.

‘Grand Prince’ is about the politic confusion and deep romance around the Grand Prince Suyang and An-pyung. 

Your impression about Lee Kang and Lee Hwi seems to be very black and white. Maybe, you are a fan of YSY, you want to believe his character is all good, and Lee Kang is just opposite of Lee Hwi. For me, Lee Kang seems to be very three-dimensional character with lots of attractiveness. He doesn’t seems to be a typical antagonist at all. I personally did not imagine about other characters. So, I won’t write about Lee Hwi. Anyway, you and I are not the writer. So, we should not conclude about the characters at this point. 

The article  mentioned about YSY as 남주인공 is not an ‘official‘ article. You keep saying it is “Exclusive” article. But, it doesn’t mean anything because multiple articles were released on the same day. Usually, the media which releases the article at first adds “exclusive” in the title. However, it is just one of new cast articles. The article I mentioned has 공식입장 in the title. It means an official announcement. It is the only official announcement from TV Chosun.  It doesn’t use the word 남주인공 for anyone.  Instead, it states JSW, JSY, and YSY will join to Grand Prince.  

Since you are non-Korean (or your Korean skill is limited), you have read English translated article, or you've tried to interpret it by yourself. The English version of articles are not 100% accurate and they are missing some words and phrases. I am not trying to argue with you. Because I am a Korean,  I understand all the articles correctly. So, I just wanted correct some wrong information. 

Edited by yukikelly
  • Like 3

A reminder:

While I enjoy discussions on this thread making it a bit more alive I would please remind everyone to keep posts on-topic and please don't get personal.

Please no "my post is better than yours"-attitude.

Please share your informations and keep discussions on the drama friendly, even when you may correct sombody elses informations. We're still in the pre-airing stage and this thread is supposed to be fun and attract more members to watch it. :)

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@yukikelly

There’s no need to attack me. What the story will be, who is whose fiance will be revealed when the drama is broadcast. It still reads to me like “Seol Hwa grows jealous of Ja Hyun who receives love from many ppl, including her (Ja Hyun) own fiance”. Also, one simply cant be called the ‘best bridegroom’, but end up cheating blatantly and loving another girl even before marriage. And if Ja Hyun is the lead female character who is righteous, she wouldnt ever want to be involve with another man who is already engaged to another person. What can be said of Ja Hyun’s character if she covets someone else’s fiance from the beginning?

I did not read earlier articles about the drama, so i didnt read abt the drama drawing from the history of Grand Prince SuYang and Grand Prince An Pyeong. I only read from those casting news since JSY’s time onwards. And Lee Bang Won was mentioned in the articles whenever Lee Kang was mentioned. I didnt say Lee Bang Won is Lee Kang, i said he dreams of being the second Lee Bang Won, which is what the article mentioned. That is not wrong is it? Since he wanted to be the second LBW, then the history of LBW is relevant to some extent because it is the character’s role model. (Not what the writer’s background drama is based on, but what the character itself aims to be)

You seem to believed i am belittling Lee Kang’s character, which i am not at all. I think Lee Kang is a character with potential of growth in the drama, because he starts out being the conflicted evil character. It will be a journey to see how and who change him in the end, or whether he will change in the end. If he succeed in killing, then evil will win and that is rarely the case in dramas.. some lesson must be learned, even if someone is sacrificed in the end. From my experience in watching dramas, if you have a conflicted character like that, then there’s usually an opposite character which shows all the good. And that is the role of Lee Hwi. Its not that its pure black and white, but that is usually how characters are pitted in stories, good vs evil. Based on what little was mentioned abt Lee Hwi for now, at this point Lee Hwi seems all good, but it will be interesting to see if Lee Hwi will change throughout the story. Will he get corrupted and learn to plot as well, and ended up being a bad character? Or will he stay the perfect character till the end? You seem to believe there is one main lead, either it is JSW or YSY. To me, they both play equally important roles and are both leads but starts at different end of the tangent. One is all good, one is conflicted with bad intention. Who is the ultimate winner will have to wait til the end of the drama. You can disagree with my interpretation. To me, a desire to kill is never good, and if its not good, then its evil, and that is what im calling it. but being evil in the beginning of a story doesnt mean the character will stay so till the end, so how the story will flow ultimately will decide who is the ultimate winner/lead. By then, its the end of the drama, and both the characters will have played major parts throughout the entire drama, so if we look at the entire piece of drama, both of them are leads as they both play major roles.

I agree, sometimes the journalists themselves get it wrong and mention someone as 남주인공 when the actor might not be. But an ‘exclusive’ article far from just being the first media to release the news, the media must have gotten that piece of news from somewhere, usually the parties directly involved. One thing for sure is, YSY definitely wasnt the one that leak the ‘exclusive’ news of his potential casting, because it was only in subsequent article when YSY’s side responded that they have received the script but havent made any decision yet. If it is not YSY, then it is definitely TV Chosun/drama side. Also, the article you mention as ‘official announcement’ was released some time after another ‘exclusive’ article:

And this article was the one that first announced the leads accepting the roles, with YSY’s name as the first mention. Some time after that (a few days later), only did the 공식입장 article release, saying basically the same thing in the exclusive article, but stating JSW’s name first. Anyway, im saying this because i dont think whose name is mentioned first in an article confirms the person is the main lead, given all the discrepancies. Similarly, a brief synopsis doesnt tell the whole story enough to conclude who is the ultimate main lead. 

And I agree english translation articles always have many missing words and its hard to truly capture the full meaning in korean articles because sometimes finding that right english word itself is difficult. I did not get my interpretation from english translated articles in fact. Like i said, its what i interpret based on my experience in watching countless dramas over many years, as well as from whatever info was released about the drama so far. Anyway, lets just wait for the drama broadcast ok. No need to argue and debate. 

One article did mention this drama is not just about good vs evil, or the characters interfering with the love between the main couple, but the political fight between the women at court is also one of the drama’s supposedly main point. 

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002719551

• Like 5

Hi guys , unlurking here, I am one of those eagerly waiting for this drama. I just want to ask if anyone has an idea of how many episodes this drama would have? :)

• Like 5