• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 8, 2019

HanCinema's News

"Different Dreams" Comes Under Scrutiny

By William Schwartz HanCinema.net

photo1060594.jpg

With a huge budget of 200 billion won (~17 million US dollars) expectations have been high for "Different Dreams". But a lot of the reaction to the drama has been muted. With a first weekend of ratings hovering in the range of 5-7%, the drama's long term viability is an open question.

One major issue in Korean discussions has been Yoo Ji-tae's portrayal of Korean freedom fighter Kim Won-bong. The main point of criticism is that Yoo Ji-tae is making Kim Won-bong seem too pretty and glamorous. Kim Won-bong was known for getting his hands dirty, yet the drama's core concept is romantic in execution.

The use of a real-life freedom fighter is also problematic. The real world Kim Won-bong eventually joined the North Korean government when the peninsula was partitioned. While this has no bearing on the plot of "Different Dreams", which takes place long before the partition took place, the potential political problems of such a portrayal are obvious.

Not that "Different Dreams" is the first time Kim Won-bong has appeared on film. Cho Seung-woo briefly played Kim Won-bong in a cameo appearance in "The Assassination"- but as a cameo appearance, it was not necessary for the action-oriented movie to go into detail about his motivation.

The degree to which this really matters to "Different Dreams" either critically or commercially is at this point ambiguous. At a press conference for "Different Dreams" that was held on May 2nd Yoo Ji-tae stated that he was portraying Kim Won-bong symbolically rather than literally. This kind of attitude is normal for historical adaptations.

Written by William Schwartz

On 5/8/2019 at 1:35 AM, MidnightRain said:

I like Fukuda, he seems like a decent man, I'm hoping he doesn't go raving mad like Gaksital's Shunji because yikes. Although it'd be interesting to see Im Joo-Hwan in such a role because he has such a gentle image and I can't imagine him going full out villainous. 

It is possible that he too can become a Shunji if it involves the loss of pride in losing to the conquered country and losing the woman he loves. It would be good to see how Im Joo Hwan will interpret the character of Fukuda although in this beginning episodes Fukuda does seem to be a gentle man. However, in Gaksital, Shunji also seemed like a good and decent guy who turned villain. Here though, Fukuda character is older than the Shunji character in Gaksital so maybe Fukuda will be less volatile. 

On 5/6/2019 at 2:24 AM, 12blbl said:
  Reveal hidden contents

But at the end of ep, it was revealed she was a spy

I don’t understand why she tried to prevent Esther killing her target.

Perhaps she wanted to save Esther, but Esther could still be alive if she didn’t interfere

Nice catch! 

I wonder about it too... but watching till the end, when the man told real Bluebird that her duty is to get close to the upper ranks in the Governor's Office, I think perhaps, LYJ wanted that man, whom Esther tried to kill, to be alive to use him later? Esther killing him is her personal move, not a duty, right ? because she wanted to get revenge him for his order to massacre a village.

By the way, Is Tae Joon the man talking to LYJ near the ending? I'm bad at matching faces... :sweatingbullets:

On 5/7/2019 at 6:07 AM, Yana Mujay said:

Agree, there some tense between them but despite what QSD says i rather felt, YJ relationship is a kind of healer with a patience,i guess the Japanese man loss her own daughter in tragic accidents but somehow they saved by Joseon native/or someone has relationship with YJ.

As high officials military he should strict in values and discipline however he brought korean values to rise YJ it's means he don't want YJ forgotten to her roots, in other words YJ adoptive fathers have empathy towards Joseon and the independent movement.and respect or even he himself nurture the patriotic practice in YJ up bringing.

(somehow i'm not surprised YJ is the real bluebird)

I have similar thought with you about the relationship with LYJ and her father. He used Hina Doll in ep 1 to imply that she can choose a safe world in a glass case or lave the case to dirty and dangerous world outside. And she chose the later. 

I think her father is a nice guy. But after all he's a conservative Japanese, even though he may feel sympathy to Joseon ppl, he won't go against his country. Would be hard for him and LYJ when later he discovers her real identity. 

Btw, after the twist that LYJ is the real Bluebird, I won't be surprised if her father is also a spy, probably from a different organization. Fuduka too... :D My experience from watching so many spy/detective movies/series: don't trust what you see. :lol:

On 5/7/2019 at 1:49 PM, QSD said:

Humans are mysterious creatures. 

After the deaths of the sorcerers, humans can’t see properly. 

Furthermore...they don’t even suspect...they can’t see.

Has anyone thought about these monologues at the end?  Somehow I feel she’s implying even KWB didn’t suspect her is a spy.  Perhaps coz of what he said to her in the end on that ship in the clip below, “I’ve no need to see a woman like you.”

LYJ's monologues remind me of quote from Sherlock Holmes "‘You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear." :lol:

On 5/8/2019 at 12:35 PM, MidnightRain said:

I think she'll use him too, she probably doesn't want to but she's shouldering a lot of responsibilities so it's beyond what she feels and more of what she has to do in order to achieve her goals.

Her duty is to get close to upper ranks from Governor's offices. Fuduka is a big fish. I'm not surprised if from the beginning of their counter, she set the table to lure him in with her charm, to use him later. It may makes LYJ look bad in Fuduka-LYJ shippers' eyes, but it's her duty anyway, as a spy. That LYJ hides her true identity after so many years proves that she's not just a simple woman or a girl-next-door. :lol:

On 5/11/2019 at 1:13 PM, vaiduakhu said:

Her duty is to get close to upper ranks from Governor's offices. Fuduka is a big fish. I'm not surprised if from the beginning of their counter, she set the table to lure him in with her charm, to use him later. It may makes LYJ look bad in Fuduka-LYJ shippers' eyes, but it's her duty anyway, as a spy. That LYJ hides her true identity after so many years proves that she's not just a simple woman or a girl-next-door

I am not sure if she set up the first encounter with Fukuda since her father knew Fukuda and already set his eyes on Fukuda to marry his daughter. It was just convenient that Fukuda has feelings for her. The scene was already set up, she just takes advantage of it and Fukuda's feelings for her. 

On 5/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, vaiduakhu said:

Nice catch! 

I wonder about it too... but watching till the end, when the man told real Bluebird that her duty is to get close to the upper ranks in the Governor's Office, I think perhaps, LYJ wanted that man, whom Esther tried to kill, to be alive to use him later? Esther killing him is her personal move, not a duty, right ? because she wanted to get revenge him for his order to massacre a village.

By the way, Is Tae Joon the man talking to LYJ near the ending? I'm bad at matching faces... :sweatingbullets:

That's  Kim Koo, the head of Korean Provisional Government (KPG). 

7 hours ago, 12blbl said:

I don’t know why but i like the scenes when YJ and KWB together :D. It’s quite hilarious seeing KWB tried to avoid YJ when she fixed his wound lol

It's kinda funny she's holding his chin trying to patch him up.

5 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I am not sure if she set up the first encounter with Fukuda since her father knew Fukuda and already set his eyes on Fukuda to marry his daughter. It was just convenient that Fukuda has feelings for her. The scene was already set up, she just takes advantage of it and Fukuda's feelings for her. 

I don't think their first encounter was the setup.  I sense YJ's relationship towards Fukuda is genuine when she always smiling at him happily, like he said there's no middle ground. 

I'm most surprised by Hiroshi's relevation in this week's episodes.  I know he’s a power hunger man earlier, but didn’t expect to what he did already at this stage.  His friend Oda sure knows him well.

2 hours ago, QSD said:

It's kinda funny she's holding his chin trying to patch him up.

I don't think their first encounter was the setup.  I sense YJ's relationship towards Fukuda is genuine when she always smiling at him happily, like he said there's no middle ground. 

I'm most surprised by Hiroshi's relevation in this week's episodes.  I know he’s a power hunger man earlier, but didn’t expect to what he did already at this stage.  His friend Oda sure knows him well.

Yeah i’m also surprise,  but i think Hiroshi really care his daughter not just using her. Probably in the future ep, YJ had to face againts her father. I’m kind of confuse, what is YJ’s mission? What was  Kim Koo and KWB position in facing againts Japan? I read both historical figures were safe until the country liberated. So i’m affraid YJ wouldn’t get until the end. Her character is a fiction right?

If I’ve understood correctly when YJ meeting with Kim Koo, her role is to make sure the missing fund isn’t used to extend the Communist’s party.  I think both Kim Koo & KWB want to fight for independence, just different approach.  It appears Kim Koo wants to know the whereabouts of money.  At first I thought KWB was also interested in that fund, but now he wants to talk to Joo Tae Joon about a bomb technician, I suppose.

It’s most likely YJ would face against Hiroshi in the future developments.  And yes, her character is fictional.   She does have the highest probability not surviving in the end.

12 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I didn't mean she set up her first encounter with Fukuda, I mean in the interrogation room, she probably knew Fukuda's position, and played mysteriously and confidently to charm him. 1st impression is very important, this is why Fukuda was intrigued by her from that 1st talk and tried to "help" her out. Of course, it's his job and also because of his boss's relationship with LYJ's father, but maybe his personal feeling towards her was involved in too. 

Thinking again, now I laugh at the part Fukuda said his great instinct told him that LYJ's eyes didn't lie. Man, if only you know... :lol:

5 hours ago, QSD said:

So, Tae Joon and Esther are both from KPG ? KPG and Heroic corp are in salty relationship even though they have same purpose to reclaim Korea? I didn't watch first eps carefully, skipped some historic parts :sweatingbullets:

LYJ's position in KPG must be high and her identity is top secret. Even Esther didn't know Blue Bird. 

I wonder if LYJ had already knew about KWB in their first encounter ? she must have record of important men from both Japanese Gov and Korean corp, and KWB is one of these man. She tried to cover KWB in the patient room when the Japanese police came in and wanna shoot him. 

It doesn’t seem like Esther & Tae Joon are from KPG.  TJ & Esther were the same team is the fact.  It’s true KPG & Heroic Corps have the same goal, however, they have gone on separated ways coz of internal conflicts.

I don’t think YJ already knew KWB in their first encounter.  It was only later she recognizes him how he looks when she recalls her encounter with him in that patient room. 

Regarding to YJ trying to cover KWB when the police came, I have the impression that she has always wanted to solve the conflicts diplomatic, not just for this incident.  Just like what she retorted to KWB on the ship about blood for blood isn’t the right thing to do.  There’s also another reference and more where she talks to Kim Koo about the late independence fighter Kim Lip who was assassinated by the secret agents of KPG in the latest installment.  As much as she doesn’t approve to use force/violence to solve conflicts, she will have to later on.

I haven't watched last weekend's episodes yet, but scrolling twitter, and this confession hits me so hard

TKYC2LIk_o.jpg

bVXL5zAq_o.jpg

id4kZxbT_o.jpg

U4ouzVoh_o.jpg

Twitter 

How to not fall into this Fujin ship? and how to not fall in love with this sweet guy?

Damn... I see nothing but tragic for this ship. This is sad :dissapointed_relieved:

1 hour ago, QSD said:

It doesn’t seem like Esther & Tae Joon are from KPG.  TJ & Esther were the same team is the fact.  It’s true KPG & Heroic Corps have the same goal, however, they have gone on separated ways coz of internal conflicts.

I don’t think YJ already knew KWB in their first encounter.  It was only later she recognizes him how he looks when she recalls her encounter with him in that patient room. 

Regarding to YJ trying to cover KWB when the police came, I have the impression that she has always wanted to solve the conflicts diplomatic, not just for this incident.  Just like what she retorted to KWB on the ship about blood for blood isn’t the right thing to do.  There’s also another reference and more where she talks to Kim Koo about the late independence fighter Kim Lip who was assassinated by the secret agents of KPG in the latest installment.  As much as she doesn’t approve to use force/violence to solve conflicts, she will have to later on.  As much as she doesn’t approve to use force/violence to solve conflicts, she will have to later on.

I also agree with your impression that YJ wanted to solve conflicts in diplomatic way in many incidents because it also is her cover. She does not want to be seen in the eyes that are watching that she sympathizes with either party and blow her cover but yes if she can resolve the problem that is presenting diplomatically, she would. 

The bluebird symbolizes hope and  will act as a temporary source of relief until the true happiness approaches. The song that the bluebird sings is full of playfulness and is very cheerful to listen to that depicts the bluebird meaning. So from the way I see it, her action of resolving diplomatically fits the name, she represents the future, freedom and hope. She does not want to be led by her emotions and react emotionally, everything she does or will do is calculated. She was trained that way. But she will have to because it is war and many parties are involved including the communists 

46 minutes ago, vaiduakhu said:

How to not fall into this Fujin ship? and how to not fall in love with this sweet guy?

Damn... I see nothing but tragic for this ship. This is sad :dissapointed_relieved:

Thank you, yes how can one not fall in love, he has the heart of a poet. "you smile like cherry blossoms in full bloom" .... my heart is already breaking for this ship sailing the stormy seas:cry:... 

Archived